New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Wait, what, you can set that before starting the game?!
    I... Coulda sworn there was an options menu on the new game menu, but I just checked on B2 and B.O., but it's not listed there. Mind must be playing tricks on me.

Also, I like how everyone's picking Black this time around. I was picking Black before it was cool.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I... Coulda sworn there was an options menu on the new game menu, but I just checked on B2 and B.O., but it's not listed there. Mind must be playing tricks on me.
    Oh, good, I hate to think I'd been that stupid a dozen games in a row...!

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing
    Also, I like how everyone's picking Black this time around. I was picking Black before it was cool.
    I suspect everyone's picking Black 2 because Black 2 unlocks the hard mode (so we can play White 2 on hard); I don't think any of us want to make the game easier (not even non-Nuzloke me!) I mean, heck, my seven-year old niece doesn't really need any help, and aside from where to go next, and making combat easier won't help with that anyway...

Also, I picked Black before White the first time around, too. (Actually, I had been intending to go for White first this time around, bu then I heard about the difficulty unlocks.)

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thing is, since it's Magnemite pre-Steel, the pokemon you'd compare it to would be Pikachu. Which, yeah, still isn't a thing like the movesets we have now, but it really says something when Pikachu starts off with Thundershock and it's Magnemite's strongest level-up Electric attack that it learns at level 25.
    Magnemite in this gen has to compare itself to Mareep... which, thanks to its Steel typing, it does so favorably despite having a fairly significant drop in HP because it becomes invincible to almost everything it'll face.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... Nah, not gonna use Magnemite. Using Magnemite will just depress me by reminding me about using it back in Gen 1. No, go ahead, look at its moveset from back then.
    I have a Magnezone and it's one of my best Electric types I have between Pearl and Soul Silver.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

On the topic of magnemite, didn't it used to have Levitate as an ability? I was really irritated to find out it didn't have that, and instead you have to pick up a late game ability and waste a turn to get it. If magnemite isn't levitating how do they expect it to be moving?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    On the topic of magnemite, didn't it used to have Levitate as an ability? I was really irritated to find out it didn't have that, and instead you have to pick up a late game ability and waste a turn to get it. If magnemite isn't levitating how do they expect it to be moving?
    It never did. It gets Magnet Rise, but that's it.

Also, they changed Magnemite's Pokédex entry. Rather than using electromagnetics to float... it produces antigravity.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guess I just misremembered then.

Anyway, does anyone know if it's possible to expand your join avenue to open more shops? I figured 8 was the cap, but there's medals that say things like "Open 50 shops in join avenue", and I doubt they want you to close up and replace your shops that often... or do they?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beat the first gym last night... felt very lackluster. Normal types, really? And crappy ones as that.

Also... Spoilers... for that gym:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? Reducing Cheren, the rival from BW1 to being the first Gym Leader? Hell, he had powerful enough pokemon to be a champion, or a member of the elite four...

That was a bit of a disappointment for me... but we'll see how things move along.

EDIT:

Spoilers for Pre-First-Gym Hugh (BW2 Rival):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, looks like they took the rival from Gold/Silver, and simply made him the opposite. He cares about Pokemon TOO MUCH. Freaks out at tiny little things.

Yeah...

But on the plus side, I do like the change of pace, I haven't seen a rival that has that kind of personality yet.
    Last edited by Alaris; 2012-10-13 at 02:27 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Beat the first gym last night... felt very lackluster. Normal types, really? And crappy ones as that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really? Reducing Cheren, the rival from BW1 to being the first Gym Leader? Hell, he had powerful enough pokemon to be a champion, or a member of the elite four...

That was a bit of a disappointment for me... but we'll see how things move along.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He comments on that, too. Juniper tells him to deal with it. If you Unova Link with a completed Black/White, he will get that team for rematches later.

...Also, Hugh's eyes do not fit his personality. At all.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

And then he complains that he wishes he could use his real team in battle.

I guess this lends credence to the theory that Gym leaders have multiple teams and pull them out based on the strength of the challenger.

11. - Top - End - #761

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He comments on that, too. Juniper tells him to deal with it. If you Unova Link with a completed Black/White, he will get that team for rematches later.

...Also, Hugh's eyes do not fit his personality. At all.
    Unova Link? I don't need a 3DS for that, right? I know you need a 3DS for some feature, I can't remember which... but I have a DS Phat... so... yeah.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Unova Link? I don't need a 3DS for that, right? I know you need a 3DS for some feature, I can't remember which... but I have a DS Phat... so... yeah.
    Not that one. All you need is two DSes. The 3DS doesn't have two DS card slots anyway.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Colossus in the Playground

Question, about Hidden grottos. Do you think it's more fair that I can only catch one Hidden grotto pokemon but it doesn't count as a route, or I can pick between a hidden grotto pokemon and a normal route pokemon if the area has a hidden grotto I can reach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends. Do you play that each room in a cave is its own area for the purposes of catching pokemon? Because in that case, I'd say hidden grottos are basically the same situation.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    It depends. Do you play that each room in a cave is its own area for the purposes of catching pokemon? Because in that case, I'd say hidden grottos are basically the same situation.
    Well no I just catch one pokemon per cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Great...

Started my Nuzlocke.

On Route 19, I caught a Purrloin. Named it "Kitty!". On route 20, it died to the very first trainer's Patrat's crit, in one hit from full. This run is not looking good.

Worse, I've already gotten the Mystery Gift Genesect and sent over the Tornadus from the dream, so if it stays like this, I've just lost both of those. And I also lose the best ID number I've ever had. Look:

EDIT: Wow that's a massive pic. Changing the link to a thumbnail, but the number is 09999

EDIT AGAIN: Route 20's poke is a Sewaddle named ComfyCoat.

EDIT THE THIRD: DOUBLEPOST AVOIDANCE: Patrat at Floccesy Ranch, named Looker. Because frankly, he does it better than that idiot from Platinum ever did.

YET ANOTHER EDIT WHERE DOES IT END!!: Okay, why does a ranch have a janitor who wants to spar... Aaand his Lillipup killed my Patrat. Stupid underestimating-effects-of-Leer. I've got 5 pokes (limiting amount I use Dream Radar ones), and two are down. This is going really badly.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-13 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a nice ID number.

Too bad about the casualties, though. I hope you manage to find a magnemite, or a shuckle on the dream radar. He's a really good tank for nuzlockes.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    That's a nice ID number.

Too bad about the casualties, though. I hope you manage to find a magnemite, or a shuckle on the dream radar. He's a really good tank for nuzlockes.
    I found a Shuckle, but he came after I found Tornadus. By the rules I figured out, that means I can't use him til the third gym (pre-Tornadus is at first gym, Tornadus is at second, post-Tornadus-pre-next-guy is at third, etcetera).

EDIT: Wow that was close. ComfyCoat taken to 1 by a crit Scratch from a wild Psyduck. The way this is going, I'm considering allowing Revives as long as they're used in-battle (quick enough care and they're not dead yet). I still lose those first two, but I've got a few from Dream Radar.

EDIT: First Gym: Complete! First pokemon from Dream Tier One: Recievable! So do I get Munna (first, third, and fourth from that tier) or Sigilyph (second)?

Current Party:
    ComfyCoat, level 12 Naive Sewaddle.
    Upnose, level 11 Sassy Snivy
    Genesect, level 15 Gentle Genesect
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-13 at 05:32 PM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Question, about Hidden grottos. Do you think it's more fair that I can only catch one Hidden grotto pokemon but it doesn't count as a route, or I can pick between a hidden grotto pokemon and a normal route pokemon if the area has a hidden grotto I can reach?
    I determine it based on the area listed on the Pokemon's stat screen, so one hidden grotto pokemon.

Anyway, I'm slugging my way through Relic Passage right now. I absolutely shouldn't be, because nuzlocke, but my urge to explore and see everything wins out. As underlevelled as I am (26-28), the place is brutal. I lost Akem Manah (my Yamask) to a Boldore Rock Slide critical, and am probably going to lose two or three more before I make to the other side.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-10-13 at 07:06 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Stupid cheating game... Clay's already got one of the most hax Pokémon of the generation, why give him the unfair RNG advantage, too?

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, the guy who gives you Snarl is actually a Zoroark. Did not see that coming...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-13 at 10:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, what? Huh? Um, so is Unova Link something that I should be doing right now, or is that just for postgame stuff?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Unova link is definitely something you should be doing now. The Memory Link unlocks special pokemon owned by N, and also lets you see flashbacks as you go along the main story. It's all very neat.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

*looks up Unova Link*

*Rushes to grab brother's DS and copy of Black*

Welp, gotta catch all N's pokemon, because man that's awesome.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the irony that all of N's pokemon have hidden power fighting.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

The more I read about Challenge mode, the more I desparately want it to have been a starting option. Or at least the keys be tradable via wifi. Dammit, Nintendo.

Well, maybe I can hold out hope for it being so in the next generation.

Ho hum, at least my pass through W2 is going to be amazing.

(Though I think I may well scrap my half-completed nominal team - Pidove/Golet (for Fly), DW Corphish (if I ever manage to catch one!!!), Magnamite, Sewaddle, Axew and ? (probably a starter from one generation or another)) for something bred and prepared with a bit more punch. I'm okay with running through a fairly mediocre team (my Emerald run was Seviper/Whishcash/Sceptile/Sableye/Typhosion/Swellow; I needed to do some serious level-grind to beat the E4), trying that on hard mode... my not be wise! Hopefully, though, by that point, I'll have access to most Pokemon from all generations.)

26. - Top - End - #776

I am annoyed. I want to get a Memory Link between my Black and my Black 2. However, I am currently at university, so the "borrow my brother's DS for a while" plan is out, and none of the WiFi hotspots appear to be compatible. There may be hotspots in town, but I have no idea if those are compatible, and it's a bit of a walk there only to be disappointed. And I have no idea how I would go about making one for myself. Any help?
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    I am annoyed. I want to get a Memory Link between my Black and my Black 2. However, I am currently at university, so the "borrow my brother's DS for a while" plan is out, and none of the WiFi hotspots appear to be compatible. There may be hotspots in town, but I have no idea if those are compatible, and it's a bit of a walk there only to be disappointed. And I have no idea how I would go about making one for myself. Any help?
    I was having trouble finding compatible wifi as well. I did manage to find a solution, though. Do you know anyone with a smartphone capable of making a wireless hotspot? I know a classmate of mine couldn't figure it out with his iPhone, but on my Android phone I'm able to set the hotspot so it's an open network.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Welp, gotta catch all N's pokemon, because man that's awesome.
    When I first encountered that I was debating whether to swap my Houndoom for the pokemon I got from it. At least for now I decided to stick with Houndoom since from what I can tell their stats are fairly similar and Houndoom has the bonus of fire STAB.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Well, lost the first Munna in the factory place in the second gym town. Got a magnemite (named Ama because i slipped and hit enter midway through typing Amalgam), though, and will soon replace the Munna with a Sigilyph.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

I just got to the seventh gym, and I've decided that I don't like Opelucid City's music in Black and Black 2

The White music is so much more awesome.