New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Just finished filling out my Unova Region pokedex.

Now starting on catching all of them (currently about 2/3 of the way there. 180 out of 298). I'm worried about running out of box space. Why are there only 8 boxes in this game? I thought 16-20 was the standard.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just finished filling out my Unova Region pokedex.

Now starting on catching all of them (currently about 2/3 of the way there. 180 out of 298). I'm worried about running out of box space. Why are there only 8 boxes in this game? I thought 16-20 was the standard.
    You have to put a pokemon in each box to get more.

3. - Top - End - #783

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    You have to put a pokemon in each box to get more.
    That explains it. Google tells me cap is 24, so that's good. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Also, I like how everyone's picking Black this time around. I was picking Black before it was cool.
    I picked White 2 because I want Latias.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I suspect everyone's picking Black 2 because Black 2 unlocks the hard mode (so we can play White 2 on hard); I don't think any of us want to make the game easier (not even non-Nuzloke me!) I mean, heck, my seven-year old niece doesn't really need any help, and aside from where to go next, and making combat easier won't help with that anyway...

Also, I picked Black before White the first time around, too. (Actually, I had been intending to go for White first this time around, bu then I heard about the difficulty unlocks.)
    I'm actually staying away from both modes. Once I'm done with the story, I'm transferring all my important pokemon from Black and kicking all NPCs in the crotch with a lv 100 Garchomp.

Rant:
    Spoiler
    Show

The story is really not as gripping as Black/White Original, and so far hasn't made me want to replay it at all. I don't even know if New Team Plasma has done anything besides halfheartedly threaten to TAEK OVER THA WURLD with the power of TEH DARGONS (I'm at Opelucid City atm, and it feels like a badge grind like from gens 1-4), but no - the big thing the game keeps screaming in my face is OH HELLS NO THEY STOLE A PURLOIN. I think maybe advertising the whole "Whoa! Unova is half-frozen over!!" thing Nintendo did was a bad way to go about the story to B/W2, considering it -still hasn't happened- at Opelucid gym. Oh yeah, and if Purloin wasn't the most ridiculously useless piece of crap ever.

This isn't including the horrible inclusion of triple battles as random trainers. So, what, I get to scramble to rearrange my team because I wasn't given any indication of a triple battle, while they get a free turn to set up/KO some ****? Every triple battle I've encountered has made me rage in this exact same way, especially since my team is pretty much terrible at triple battles (Earthquake? Surf? Abndfuiodfcdc). All of it adds up to a rather aggravating experience. For those playing Blind Nuzlocke, I feel very sorry for you. You will lose many pokemon on the way to Opelucid and the Elite 4 after that.

Oh, and Hugh is the most annoying rival. EVER. He's all like "Rawr! I'm out for revenge!" and...that's as deep as he gets! Every time I meet him he's like "Where did Team Plasma go, Gwen??" The whole reason he started was to find Team Plasma and get his sister's cat back and prove himself to be a man.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-10-14 at 04:34 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

5. - Top - End - #785

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Rant:
    Spoiler
    Show

The story is really not as gripping as Black/White Original, and so far hasn't made me want to replay it at all. I don't even know if New Team Plasma has done anything besides halfheartedly threaten to TAEK OVER THA WURLD with the power of TEH DARGONS
    I'm only at Mistralton (terrible weekend work-wise) but yeah, I agree with
    Spoiler
    Show
    the return to cartoonish villainy. Cartoonish in the take-over-the-world sense. And I noticed a lot more people talking about the bonds between people and pokemon, or trainers always talking about how much fun your pokemon and their pokemon had battling. It seemed as if Game Freak was trying to tell the kids who played the last game that they shouldn't feel bad about making their pokemon fight because they like it. Then I realized something:

I had been talking to a friend about how Team Plasma's antics probably set back any legitimate pokemon welfare groups in the universe by years; if there was an actual pokemon welfare movement then Team Plasma would have completely delegitimized it. So while some of the people you talk to and trainers you fight have been genuinely thoughtful the past couple of years about how to better pokemons' lives, many of them are probably just trying to justify their actions even more, because Team Plasma's extremism and Ghetsis' Complete Monstery turned them off from then entire movement.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and Hugh is the most annoying rival. EVER. He's all like "Rawr! I'm out for revenge!" and...that's as deep as he gets! Every time I meet him he's like "Where did Team Plasma go, Gwen??" The whole reason he started was to find Team Plasma and get his sister's cat back and prove himself to be a man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, picture him being voiced by Christian Bale as Batman when demanding Purrloin's return. "WHERE'S PURRLOIN!? WHERE IS SHE!?!"

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    When I first encountered that I was debating whether to swap my Houndoom for the pokemon I got from it. At least for now I decided to stick with Houndoom since from what I can tell their stats are fairly similar and Houndoom has the bonus of fire STAB.
    Apparently all of N's pokemon have 30 IVs across the board, so that's pretty sweet. Gonna have to put those to good use. *nodnod*

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

This time...

This time, I WAS PREPARED, GHETSIS.

Yeah, that's right. I read about you having your hax Hydreigon again.

And I prepared for it.

Conkeldurr says SUP
    Morning Star

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, picture him being voiced by Christian Bale as Batman when demanding Purrloin's return. "WHERE'S PURRLOIN!? WHERE IS SHE!?!"
    This made my day.

Also, what level do you guys think my team should be before I fight Drayden? Without spoiling what he has, please, since I'm playing semi-blind.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually staying away from both modes. Once I'm done with the story, I'm transferring all my important pokemon from Black and kicking all NPCs in the crotch with a lv 100 Garchomp.
    I'm also doing this, having just moved a couple of my SoulSilver pokemon up to my black 2. I must say it was highly amusing watching my Shaymin sweep all of Colress' post-game team. I'm also currently brainstorming on what to put together for my Battle Subway team. How does Terrakion/Metagross/Dragonite sound?
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

11. - Top - End - #791
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    This made my day.

Also, what level do you guys think my team should be before I fight Drayden? Without spoiling what he has, please, since I'm playing semi-blind.
    Don't rely on setting up, unless it's to boost evasion.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized that I have no pokemon with any ice moves.

And also, in fact, no pokemon that can learn surf, either. Whoops.

(Not that that matters for Drayden)

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

My bit of advice. Save up 70,000, then go grab the Blizzard TM from Lacunacosa town. You'll thank me.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like I'm going full-on neutral damage for this gym. None of my pokemon can learn any ice moves at all

Current team:
    Natrix, level 48 Serperior
    Lee, level 47 Riolu (need to evolve him...)
    Neji, level 49 Lucario
    Siligyph, level 47
    Marcus, level 45 Cinccino

15. - Top - End - #795

Looks like I'm going full-on neutral damage for this gym. None of my pokemon can learn any ice moves at all

Current team:
    Neji, level 49 Lucario
    Siligyph, level 47
    Sigilyph can learn Icy Wind from one of the move tutors, it's what I tried using. (As it turned out using neutral damage probably would have been more effective, but thought I'd point it out anyway)

But your levels are probably fine for the gym. You're more or less matching Dray's levels.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

Current team:
    Neji, level 49 Lucario
    Siligyph, level 47
    In addition to what Seerow said, you should be able to teach Ice Punch to Lucario.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For ten Red Shards at the Driftveil Move Tutor, by the way.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, using Magnemite against Roxie felt... wrong. It was far too easy, especially since I was about 4 levels lower than everything she had. I haven't roflstomped a gym with a fresh Pokemon since Surge with a Diglett.

In other news, laptop cord has a short so thankfully I got a new video up before my computer ran out of juice and died.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

19. - Top - End - #799

breeding in this game seems different. If I am constantly switching out who I breed, I hatch an egg before a new egg comes available. But if I stick with the same two parents, I get a new egg like every 500 steps or so, to the point that I can't pick up anymore.

Has it always been like this, or is it a new thing?

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

breeding in this game seems different. If I am constantly switching out who I breed, I hatch an egg before a new egg comes available. But if I stick with the same two parents, I get a new egg like every 500 steps or so, to the point that I can't pick up anymore.

Has it always been like this, or is it a new thing?
    It's kind of luck based, and also based on the pairs' OT/species. If the OT is the same and the species is different, the pair has a small chance of producing an egg (let's call it "1"). If they have different OTs, it's "2", and if they have different OTs and the same species, it's "3" (assuming they can breed with the same species - if any of these factors makes them unable to breed then it's always "0"). At 1, you have a ~25% chance to generate an egg every 255 steps; at 2, it's closer to 50%, and 3 is about 70%. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but they're somewhere around there...

I'm fairly certain it's been like this since Gen2. Unless B2/W2 changed it, but I haven't actually noticed a difference yet...

Oh yeah! ~~beat the elite 4~~

Jellicent was a BEAST against the Champion. Will-o-wisp neutered half their team and let Jelly tank almost the entirety.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-10-15 at 10:46 AM.
    Morning Star

21. - Top - End - #801
    Barbarian in the Playground

So here's some cool news for everyone:

This year for Pokemon League, players will get the chance to get all eight badges from Black and White 2...as physical items.

You order a free badge case through your Play! Pokemon account and have it shipped where you go for Pokemon League. Throughout the seasons you'll be eligible to get these badges.

...I'm certainly glad I play the TCG now! ^^

Here's a link:
    http://pokebeach.com/2012/10/pokemon...d-a-badge-case
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2012-10-15 at 11:05 AM.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

22. - Top - End - #802

It's kind of luck based, and also based on the pairs' OT/species. If the OT is the same and the species is different, the pair has a small chance of producing an egg (let's call it "1"). If they have different OTs, it's "2", and if they have different OTs and the same species, it's "3" (assuming they can breed with the same species - if any of these factors makes them unable to breed then it's always "0"). At 1, you have a ~25% chance to generate an egg every 255 steps; at 2, it's closer to 50%, and 3 is about 70%. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but they're somewhere around there...
    I guess luck has just been really weird. Like I said, I've been consistently getting 3000+ steps to get the first egg, then 250-500 steps per egg after that. If I switch pokemon in the daycare, it starts over. (I've been spending the last day or two breeding out all the pre-evolutions I don't have for Unova Dex. 224/298 pokemon obtained as of now)

Speaking of, any idea how I could get my hands on a magmarizer? Serebii says it's available in Black City, but A) I can't go there, and B) On the black city page it doesn't list it as for sale. I guess I could grab one on Heart Gold and trade it over on a dummy pokemon, but that seems like a lot of effort for something so simple. Why would they make the Magmarizer/Electerizer so impossible to find? Rare like the stones would be fine, but this is literally "You get one item per 2 games" what the hell. (It doesn't help my Brother, who got black, somehow missed the Magmarizer on his playthrough, so I can't even use his for pokedex completion)

Oh yeah! ~~beat the elite 4~~

Jellicent was a BEAST against the Champion. Will-o-wisp neutered half their team and let Jelly tank almost the entirety.
    Congratulations.

And really, I'm, surprised Jellicent held up so well. I have a Jellicent, and I really don't see what the fuss is all about. It honestly feels like one of my squishier pokemon, despite its supposed tanking abilities. I know mine has a bad nature for tanking, but even that shouldn't make THAT huge of a difference to the point of instead of being my most durable pokemon it's getting curbstomped.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I could grab one on Heart Gold and trade it over on a dummy pokemon, but that seems like a lot of effort for something so simple.
    Actually, you can't trade between Gen IV (HG) and V; best you can do it get to the Poketransfer, and use it to bring in the requisite Pokemon from a prior generation (as you can't send items.)

What's available in Black City is highly dependant on how much you play with someone else on White, whether you're lucky enough to get that one trader who you can buy it from (and if you're lucky enough to get anyone at all; as Nintendo did the remarkable stupid thing of penalising you if don't complete the game quickly (in terms of real time, not game hours played) and play constantly; when I got to Black City it was completely empty.

If you can't locate how to get one from Bulbapedia aside from Black City, best bet is see if anyone here had got a spare one to trade.

The short answer is Gamefreaks seem to take a perverse pleasure in being fracktards sometimes (e.g. not giving you the difficulty settings at the start of the game, and putting hard and easy mode in different games and then saying can only even unlock them via DS to DS link...)

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of, any idea how I could get my hands on a magmarizer? Serebii says it's available in Black City, but A) I can't go there, and B) On the black city page it doesn't list it as for sale. I guess I could grab one on Heart Gold and trade it over on a dummy pokemon, but that seems like a lot of effort for something so simple. Why would they make the Magmarizer/Electerizer so impossible to find? Rare like the stones would be fine, but this is literally "You get one item per 2 games" what the hell. (It doesn't help my Brother, who got black, somehow missed the Magmarizer on his playthrough, so I can't even use his for pokedex completion)
    Well, if you have Black or White, you can just soft-reset the treasure hunter until you get one. He gives out one item per day, and he's got pretty much all of the evolution items, as well as flutes and heart scales.

25. - Top - End - #805

Well, if you have Black or White, you can just soft-reset the treasure hunter until you get one. He gives out one item per day, and he's got pretty much all of the evolution items, as well as flutes and heart scales.
    I don't have either, but my brothers do. I'll see if I can con one of them into getting it for me. Or letting me use their game long enough to grab it. Thanks for the tip.

26. - Top - End - #806

Do you have black/white 2? At least in Black 2, there should be one on the plasma frigate.

27. - Top - End - #807

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Do you have black/white 2? At least in Black 2, there should be one on the plasma frigate.
    I have White 2, there's an Electerizer there instead of the Magmarizer. My brother that has Black 2 missed the Magmarizer while he was there

28. - Top - End - #808

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    In addition to what Seerow said, you should be able to teach Ice Punch to Lucario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    For ten Red Shards at the Driftveil Move Tutor, by the way.
    Well worth it, in my opinion. And since Lucario's part steel-type, he'll be resistant to dragon-type moves (disclaimer: I'm only halfway through Reversal Mountain; I don't know Drayden's full moveset). If Lucario's got Swords Dance, then he should be able to survive a one-turn setup and sweep his entire team. And if not, it's still Lucario with Ice Punch. If you're still in trouble, does your Serperior still have Leech Seed? You could put a layer of that down; he's fast and bulky enough to survive a Dragon Claw.

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Well worth it, in my opinion. And since Lucario's part steel-type, he'll be resistant to dragon-type moves (disclaimer: I'm only halfway through Reversal Mountain; I don't know Drayden's full moveset). If Lucario's got Swords Dance, then he should be able to survive a one-turn setup and sweep his entire team. And if not, it's still Lucario with Ice Punch. If you're still in trouble, does your Serperior still have Leech Seed? You could put a layer of that down; he's fast and bulky enough to survive a Dragon Claw.
    The only worry is that he'll phaze you. His signature move hasn't changed from the original.

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    The only worry is that he'll phaze you. His signature move hasn't changed from the original.
    ...Oh. Lovely. Welp, let's just hope I can Ice Beam my way through it then. At least my Growlithe has Intimidate.