New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Well, checking in on finally getting around to playing B2.

Spoiler
    Show

Game was going fine until he showed up. I mean, I knew it was inevitable that I'd be forced to admire his implied awesomeness given how much I had to do it last time around, but sheesh, will someone please kick him straight in the nads!?

My battle against Cheren was basically the opposite of the normal gym in BC. Instead of my fighting pokemon getting knocked out and Snivy picking up the slack, I switched Smugfro in expecting to finish things up only to get a critical one-hit KO. Humorously enough, Lucarifro the Riolu walked away with exactly 1 HP left. The finishing move? Counter.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

R.I.P ComfyCoat the Level 14 Sewaddle, to a Zubat's Wing Attack in the sewers in the first time you go in (with your rival/ally). I'm not counting this first entrance for the "catch first poke you see" because having an ally stops you from catching.

EDIT: And one step after the guy left, I got in a battle. Hello, Tiny the Rattata.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-17 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Fact: the fastest way to accumulate Shards after clearing out your daily sources, other than running around in caves with five dozen Max Repels, is to lose at PWT. That's right, you can have your little sibling/cousin/niece/nephew farm Shards for you while they learn to play in the big leagues. That, or you can do something that the computer can cheat easier at, like Mix Rotation or Rentals or something.
    How does this work?

My method of farming will involve Dream Radar. That game is surprisingly fun.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #844
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    How does this work?

My method of farming will involve Dream Radar. That game is surprisingly fun.
    If you lose, you'll be given a consolation prize of one shard.

I kinda want to enter a team of low attack pokemon that all know selfdestruct. Pineco, Voltorb and Geodude would do nicely, I imagine.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

So my match against Burgh was hilariously quick; flame charge Swadloon, rollout against Dwebble, with hit number 5 crushing his Leavanny. Why didn't I use Tepig in black 1?
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I've been finding Emboar's Flame Charge is hilariously effective. If you have a Tepig, when all else fails, Flame Charge.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    So my match against Burgh was hilariously quick; flame charge Swadloon, rollout against Dwebble, with hit number 5 crushing his Leavanny. Why didn't I use Tepig in black 1?
    My Burgh match:
    Growlithe uses Flame Whee,l it pwns Swadloon!
    Dewott uses Razor Shell, it pwns Dwebble!
    Growlithe uses Flame Wheel, it pwns Leavanny!

The Dewott might've been my Leavanny using Razor Leaf, maybe. I doubt it, given it was the bug gym and... well...

Similarly hilarious was my crushing the electric gym with an underleveled Trapinch. What's that? Emolga's immune to Ground Attacks? Rock Tomb!

I love my Trapinch... Can't wait for it to evolve up to Flygon...

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, I cannot catch a decent Cobalion. I've gotten two Modest ones, and the ones with decent-ish natures have terrible IV spreads. Finally settled on a Mischievous Brave one with modest Attack, HP, and SpDef IVs and low Def and Speed ones.

9. - Top - End - #849

Also, I cannot catch a decent Cobalion. I've gotten two Modest ones, and the ones with decent-ish natures have terrible IV spreads. Finally settled on a Mischievous Brave one with modest Attack, HP, and SpDef IVs and low Def and Speed ones.
    Ugg. I've never bothered trying to soft reset for an ideal legendary. Must be a pain.

Breeding is obnoxious enough.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Did a quick search through my other DS games and discovered while I was breeding Timburr in B1 I boxed an Adamant Sheer Force one. While in 1 that was decent at best, in 2 that's incredible as all I have to do is tutor thunder/ice punch and have an utter powerhouse at my disposal.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Great. New pokemon for Relic Passage or whatever it's called: Timburr. And then I promptly lost my wierd-psychic-bird-Unown-thing-I-never-remember-the-name-of to a Roggenrolla.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Ugg. I've never bothered trying to soft reset for an ideal legendary. Must be a pain.

Breeding is obnoxious enough.
    I don't go for ideal legendaries, I go for acceptable legendaries. A Modest Cobalion is almost useless, all things considered.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

I don't go for ideal legendaries, I go for acceptable legendaries. A Modest Cobalion is almost useless, all things considered.
    And even acceptable is damn hard to get somedays.

I count myself fortunate - for once - that my Dialga in diamond had not only a +SA nature, but max SA IVs. (Timerender made my primary team, not something I normally do for legendaries! Okay, yeah, I did use Victini for the first up-to-E4 hald of B1, but then again, by the end, poor Glorious was starting to be outclassed by the rest of the team, and when Wytchfyre, my Modest, max SA Chandelure took over...!)

That, incidently, was one of the other precious few times I lucked out, as that was the first one I caught (And I spent ages catching more of 'em, because I didn't know better, before I finally twigged I literally couldn't get a better one!) On the other hand, I have been trying to get a decent Frillish for YONKS, but I cannot get one with a decent +SA and above average IVs; it's either good IVs or a good nature, and never the twain shall meet...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-17 at 05:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just finished White Tree Hollow...

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiny Dratini Get!

Now, if I use the Unova Key thing to get Black Tower, do I get the Shiny Gible as well, or is it only for the first one you beat?

That aside, I'm 8 away from completing my Unovadex. Mostly just happiness Evos, but still short the 3 items from before.

That's not counting Zekrom and the three genie looking things which aren't obtainable. Are you required to trade those in for completion credit, or are legendaries excluded?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

That moment when Colress almost volt-turns me to death.

I had accidentally let one of my Lucarios faint before fighting this battle, and the other one had only about 12 hp. (I don't use healing items out of battle except for the elite 4).

I'm glad I'm not Nuzlocking.

Beat him with the second Lucario at 3 hp, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just finished White Tree Hollow...

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiny Dratini Get!

Now, if I use the Unova Key thing to get Black Tower, do I get the Shiny Gible as well, or is it only for the first one you beat?

That aside, I'm 8 away from completing my Unovadex. Mostly just happiness Evos, but still short the 3 items from before.

That's not counting Zekrom and the three genie looking things which aren't obtainable. Are you required to trade those in for completion credit, or are legendaries excluded?
    Only event legendaries get a pass. All the other ones have to be gotten.

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    That moment when [spoiler] me to death.

I had accidentally let one of my Lucarios faint before fighting this battle, and the other one had only about 12 hp. (I don't use healing items out of battle except for the elite 4).

I'm glad I'm not Nuzlocking.

Beat him with the second Lucario at 3 hp, though.

Only event legendaries get a pass. All the other ones have to be gotten.
    I once tried to nuzlocke Black with the additional stipulation that no healing items- classified as any item stored in the 'medicine' or 'berry' pocket- could be used at any time, in or out of battle. The game is still saved right before the E4, but damn was it tough to get that far.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-10-17 at 08:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

That little area at the top of the stairs from the sewers? With the tree and the grass?

Good news and bad news:

Good news: I didn't lose a poke within minutes of getting the new one from the new area.

Bad news: The new poke is Ears the Audino. I mean, seriously.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-17 at 09:18 PM.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That little area at the top of the stairs from the sewers? With the tree and the grass?

Good news and bad news:

Good news: I didn't lose a poke within minutes of getting the new one from the new area.

Bad news: The new poke is Ears the Audino. I mean, seriously.
    Dude, Audinos are awesome

They're fairly tanky (for playing through the game) and learn all the coverage moves you could want. Give it an expert belt and Surf/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam and go to town

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Dude, Audinos are awesome

They're fairly tanky (for playing through the game) and learn all the coverage moves you could want. Give it an expert belt and Surf/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam and go to town
    I've always thought that it'd be awesome to catch an Audino on Route 1. They're so much better than everything else you can catch there, and especially in the early game they'd be fantastic tanks. Personally, I play with the rule that Audino cannot be caught. My reasoning is that the pokemon god clearly made them with the intention of them getting pwned by every trainer that comes along, and thus catching them upsets the natural balance of things.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    I've always thought that it'd be awesome to catch an Audino on Route 1. They're so much better than everything else you can catch there, and especially in the early game they'd be fantastic tanks. Personally, I play with the rule that Audino cannot be caught. My reasoning is that the pokemon god clearly made them with the intention of them getting pwned by every trainer that comes along, and thus catching them upsets the natural balance of things.
    Rare candy, unofficial name "I can't believe it's not Audino"
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Troll in the Playground

More B2 Playthrough Notes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I don't like Roxie's taste in pokemon, but her gym music was quite enjoyable. True to what I said earlier in the thread, I opted not to get a Magnemite. I was looking for a nice, interesting new pokemon to add to my team beforehand, but the Dream Radar gave me Munna and Swablu... Both of which I've kinda had my fill. I wasn't feeling it for Growlithe, and Magby's yet another annoying evolution, so the only new guy to the team is Koffing. Yes, I've never really used Koffing. Sadly, outside of Smugfro evolving, the whole gym was soloed by Riolu, so it wasn't really necessary.

Really missing my bicycle.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah! Our may be inefficient, but I just pulled off an awesome combo on Burgh's Swadloon.

Step one: Magnemite paralyzes it, waits for it to use strong shot.
    Step two: Get it to low health so he heals out instead of attacking.
    Step three: send in Contrary Shuckle with Encore.

Edit: And Burgh is down! Current team:
    Shuckle, level 18 Dream Shuckle.
    Upnose, level 17 Servine.
    Ears, level 17 Audino
    Amalgam, level 18 Magnemite.
    Tornadus, level 17 Therian Tornadus
    Genesect, level 17 Genesect.
    Standbys are:
    Tiny, the level 14 Rattata
    Lumbar, the level 15 Timburr
    Two level 5 Munnas from the DR.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-10-18 at 08:44 AM.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #863

So can someone give me a brief explanation for how the Dream World thing works? I signed up on the web site, but when I try to connect from the game, it says something about how a pokemon needs to be dreaming first. I have no idea where to go to make it work.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So can someone give me a brief explanation for how the Dream World thing works? I signed up on the web site, but when I try to connect from the game, it says something about how a pokemon needs to be dreaming first. I have no idea where to go to make it work.
    Use the Game Sync option from your C-Gear to make a Pokémon in a box dream. When you're done with Dream World, use the same option to wake it back up.

25. - Top - End - #865

Use the Game Sync option from your C-Gear to make a Pokémon in a box dream. When you're done with Dream World, use the same option to wake it back up.
    Does it matter which pokemon you use or is it all the same?

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Doesn't matter.

27. - Top - End - #867

Thanks for the help, I got it to work. Though I was only able to bring one pokemon back from the Dream World (wishing at the tree lets you pick one, and then after that you can't go back to the island until you've sent that pokemon on it seems). It seems like you should be able to get more since there's slots for 10 pokemon when it says what it's sending back, am I doing something wrong?

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Does it matter which pokemon you use or is it all the same?
    Well, later on, the type of Pokemon may modify the chances of what area of the Dream World you get. (E.g., my black game has enough dream points to have unlocked the Sparkling Sea, so I generally use a Blastoise (brought through from gen III...!) to sleep, as that gives me more chance of accessing that location and hopefully eventually of finding a female DW corphish... (Female because the males can't pass down the hidden ability.)

And for ages before that, I was using a Purrloin I'd been DWing since the start, and was getting more and more frustrated that I seemed to never get anything but the Spooky Mansion, until pokethread informed me that they'd implemented relating type to the location chances...!

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, later on, the type of Pokemon may modify the chances of what area of the Dream World you get. (E.g., my black game has enough dream points to have unlocked the Sparkling Sea, so I generally use a Blastoise (brought through from gen III...!) to sleep, as that gives me more chance of accessing that location and hopefully eventually of finding a female DW corphish... (Female because the males can't pass down the hidden ability.)

And for ages before that, I was using a Purrloin I'd been DWing since the start, and was getting more and more frustrated that I seemed to never get anything but the Spooky Mansion, until pokethread informed me that they'd implemented relating type to the location chances...!
    Huh, that's weird. I used Magmar and got an Ice Cave as my location. Hardly seems related. Is there a site listing what areas there are and what pokemon correspond with which locations?

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's probability-based, not a direct 1-1 correlation.

Also, Drayden. Besides the EPIC BEARD, has things which have been passed down in his family for GENERATIONS. Why they didn't make him the new Champion I don't know...