New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, later on, the type of Pokemon may modify the chances of what area of the Dream World you get.
    ...Well that explains a lot! I used Keldeo last night and got nothing but Sparkling Sea and Icy Cave. I'll try putting a rock or ground type to sleep tonight, to see if I get the Mountain (really want Truant Durant, since I am still missing some competitive items like Choice Band and Air Balloon).
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, after beating the 2nd gym, I've been toying around with the movies thing... it's... kind of interesting I suppose?

I mean, I do like the idea of "complete this objective in a battle, in this many rounds." Always wanted something like that, and I guess if it has to be in movies, that's cool too.

But so far, I'm not seeing much actual 'reward' from doing it. I see the movies make "Billions of Pokedollars," but I'm not seeing a penny of it. I'm the actor, right? Shouldn't I be getting paid?

The extent of what I'm getting is the 6 lemonades I get from the fanboy outside the theater.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I forget, we aren't allowed to talk about emulation in here, are we? Even if you've legally followed internet dirrections to get your disc and game stuff into your computer?

4. - Top - End - #874

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Thanks for the help, I got it to work. Though I was only able to bring one pokemon back from the Dream World (wishing at the tree lets you pick one, and then after that you can't go back to the island until you've sent that pokemon on it seems). It seems like you should be able to get more since there's slots for 10 pokemon when it says what it's sending back, am I doing something wrong?
    The extra slots on the Friend Board are for promotional Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    ...Well that explains a lot! I used Keldeo last night and got nothing but Sparkling Sea and Icy Cave. I'll try putting a rock or ground type to sleep tonight, to see if I get the Mountain (really want Truant Durant, since I am still missing some competitive items like Choice Band and Air Balloon).
    This may just be me, but it seems like the area unlock requirements changed from B/W; for the first three days after I linked my B2 to my PGL account, I got mostly the Sea and the Cave, with an occasional Sky or Mansion, with an Audino tucked in. I even spent five minutes doing nothing but entering and exiting the Island of Dreams and didn't see the Forest once.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2012-10-18 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot something

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    This may just be me, but it seems like the area unlock requirements changed from B/W; for the first three days after I linked my B2 to my PGL account, I got mostly the Sea and the Cave, with an occasional Sky or Mansion, with an Audino tucked in. I even spent five minutes doing nothing but entering and exiting the Island of Dreams and didn't see the Forest once.
    ...Huh. That's a possibility.

I need to find a good partner for Heatran for the PWT. I'm running one now with an Air Balloon and Will-o-Wisp/Fire Blast/Substitute/Earth Power, and while Suicune and Dragonite do fine, I sometimes have trouble with bulky water types that know ice moves and strong Fighting types. I'm thinking of replacing Suicune with a Water Absorb Jellicent, since it can learn about the same kinds of moves and boasts an immunity to Fighting too, but it's weak to Dark-type moves, which a lot of Fighting types usually run for Boltbeam-esque coverage...
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-10-18 at 02:49 PM.
    Morning Star

6. - Top - End - #876
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    So, after beating the 2nd gym, I've been toying around with the movies thing... it's... kind of interesting I suppose?

I mean, I do like the idea of "complete this objective in a battle, in this many rounds." Always wanted something like that, and I guess if it has to be in movies, that's cool too.

But so far, I'm not seeing much actual 'reward' from doing it. I see the movies make "Billions of Pokedollars," but I'm not seeing a penny of it. I'm the actor, right? Shouldn't I be getting paid?

The extent of what I'm getting is the 6 lemonades I get from the fanboy outside the theater.
    I haven't played with it much, but you get "fans" who come visit in Join Avenue (a feature you run into a little later). I think the number of fans that visit may be tied to how popular your movies are? I'm not sure.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #877

I haven't played with it much, but you get "fans" who come visit in Join Avenue (a feature you run into a little later). I think the number of fans that visit may be tied to how popular your movies are? I'm not sure.
    Thanks, I was starting to wonder the use. That helps.

On a side note, unrelated, caught a Magnemite in the factory... I notice that he's very popular among the community for at least early game. I caught a Mareep earlier in-game, and I'm wondering which I should use as my electric type.

While it's apparently commonplace to use Magnemite, and I've never actually used one in a playthrough, I have used a Mareep in several previous games.

Ho hum...
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

It seems like you should be able to get more since there's slots for 10 pokemon when it says what it's sending back, am I doing something wrong?
    What Ryuho Tsugu said- you're only allowed to send back 1 pokemon a day under normal circumstances. When they're running a promotion, though, you can bring those in addition to the 1 pokemon a day. They... Haven't really gotten serious about the Dream World, honestly. I mean, look at that 0 to 9 tween in Sky Race, or how the Treasure Chest minigame's instructions still refer to Victini (you originally used Victini in that game and it was a promotion only thing).

Huh, that's weird. I used Magmar and got an Ice Cave as my location. Hardly seems related. Is there a site listing what areas there are and what pokemon correspond with which locations?
    If the mechanics haven't changed since Black First and White Firster, then the areas available at the start are Spooky Manor, Rugged Mountain, Icy Cave, and Pleasant Forest, with Windswept Sky and Sparkling Sea unlocking later. However, I'm pretty certain Ryuho Tsugu's right and the unlocks have been changed, as I've already been to the Sparkling Sea and my Black 2 game has 3 badges and 300 Dream Points.

Oh, and before you ask, Dream Points are almost-invisible currency you build up by playing Pokemon Dream World. Basically, anything you do- minigames, watering plants, tranding items by swap shelves, and sending a pokemon to Entralink- builds up a small amount of Dream Points, and the more Dream Points you have, the more stuff is unlocked in Dream World. To check your Dream Point balance, log in to Pokemon-GL, click the "My Page" button, then go to the "Pokemon Dream World" tab. Your points will be below the picture of your island. If you earn 500 or more points in a single dream, the pokemon that's sleeping will gain a level when you next Game Sync.

Fans come from everywhere. Aotrs Commander just opened up a Deli in my Join Avenue, and he's only a friend on my other game card's Dream Pal list, if I recall correctly.

Aaaand to catch up on my latest B2 Playthrough...

Spoiler
    Show
    This was the episode of disappointment!

So, all Team Plasma members look like that, now? They had the best outfits ever earlier on, why'd they have to change it? Those outfits and the shield emblem were basically the only thing that made sense for their team.

Well, the game team was reading my mind and I got my bicycle shortly after the last update. Why are most of the game designers for the games I'm playing all giant trolls? When Iris said she knew where Team Plasma might be, I was really hoping it'd be the same building in Annoying City as it was last time. Oh, speaking of Annoying City,

ZUBAT CAN GO TO HELL. Still.

Burgh's gym was pretty, and slightly less gross than it was last time around. He's still got the creepiest face ever, but that doesn't matter because SWEPT BY KOFFING. Oh, and Riolu evolved.

The newcomer to my game, hailing from Dream World, is Omastar. He's a blast from the past in more ways than one, because I picked Helix fossil on Blue and I don't think he really got a chance because I abused MissingNo. there. Well, that, and getting him at the eighth gym.

Um... Didn't the game just tell me that pokemon couldn't move those boulders? And, uh... Didn't pokemon just move those boulders?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #879

Thanks for the explanations on dream world. I get it now. Just gotta keep on waiting then I guess.

Fans come from everywhere. Aotrs Commander just opened up a Deli in my Join Avenue, and he's only a friend on my other game card's Dream Pal list, if I recall correctly.
    They come from two sources. First are actual people, such as the example you provided. These also come from trading over GTS, or simply passing someone else playing the game. These aren't fans, just people you've interracted with who come by.

The second is NPC Fans, who come even if you turn wireless off and have nobody within 100 miles of you know what pokemon is. These fans only give 75% as much popularity boost to your shops vs real people, but it's still convenient for them to show up.

I'm merely speculating that the NPC fans showing up is linked to other in game things, like the Movies. (If there is any link, I would also expect a popularity boost to come from beating the E4 the first time, and from competing in the PWT)
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-10-18 at 04:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I forget, we aren't allowed to talk about emulation in here, are we? Even if you've legally followed internet dirrections to get your disc and game stuff into your computer?
    "Legally followed" and "Internet directions" are phrases that can only be dubiously connected, at best, and discussing the legitimacy of the former phrase as applied to any particular case is out of bounds for this forum. In other words, tread lightly, or not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    On a side note, unrelated, caught a Magnemite in the factory... I notice that he's very popular among the community for at least early game. I caught a Mareep earlier in-game, and I'm wondering which I should use as my electric type.

While it's apparently commonplace to use Magnemite, and I've never actually used one in a playthrough, I have used a Mareep in several previous games.
    Magnezone is preferable to Ampharos in almost every way except for some movepool envy. Ampharos has higher HP and Attack, but ties Special Defense and has lower everything else and fewer resistances, meaning that the utility of the higher HP is mostly lost, and the higher Attack is pointless given that both are primarily focused on Special Attack. Ampharos is actually slower than Magnezone and is the third-slowest fully-evolved Electric type (the slowest in Gen IV, since the two slower ones are the Gen V Pokémon Eelektross and Stunfisk).

In addition, Magnemite has type advantage over all but one of the gyms in either offense or defense, as opposed to Ampharos having such advantage against only two. In particular, Magnemite/zone fully walls the Virbank and Mistralton City Gyms, and its defensive capability is useful against the Castelia, Nimbasa, and Opelucid City Gyms, while Ampharos doesn't stand out against any of those except the Mistralton City Gym. Both are offensive powerhouses against Humilau, though as usual Magnezone handles off-type attacks better.

Offensively, Ampharos learns Power Gem and Signal Beam by level up (whereas Magnezone only learns the latter, and only by tutor at that) and Discharge eleven levels earlier than Magnezone, but lacks the capability to take advantage of its decent Physical movepool, and its only Fighting move is the inaccurate Focus Blast. Defensively, Magnezone is only vulnerable to two gyms' STAB, one of which is neutral and the other is a 4x weakness, while resisting almost every other attack thrown at it. Seriously, if you're not coming at it with a fixed-damage move, or Fire, Fighting, Water, or Ground attacks, you might as well just go home... it'll take what you've got and then electrocute you.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whelp, I've decided to alter my team a bit. It occurred to me that my team was basically hard countered by... any fire/fighting type in the game. Darmanitan in particular could maul just about everything I had. I also realized that, now that I have Terrakion filling the role of 'Physical Beast,' Cinccino was a bit superfluous, and was only contributing to my weakness to fighting types. So, I was mulling over what to do, and as I was glancing through my PC, I realized something- I had caught a Frillish in Humilau City.

My newest addition to the team is Isarm the Jellicant. May his mustache be long lived.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I did what now...?!

Huh.

And yet it still bugs me that you still don't appear to be able to cross worlds, in the dream world, 'cos I can see Forrestfire in my game buddies or whatever list, but it's greyed out...

13. - Top - End - #883

So today's updates:

Spoiler
    Show
    -I got a Whismur from dream world. At least I got one thing that wasn't native to BW2

-I broke the 100 medal mark.

-Got my first ever legit level 100. Before now if I had something that high it was due to gameshark or missingno supplying me lots of rare candies. Interestingly enough given current conversation, it was a Magnezone.

-Decided I wanted a PVP quality Kingler. It's probably too slow and weak in SpDef to really be viable in a competitive setting, but a water type with 130 base attack is hard to pass up. I managed to get one that was Adamant, with Shell Armor, and a maxed Attack IV, with only an hour or so invested in breeding (I had a breeding setup for Shell Armor and Adamant, was only holding out for any attack IV that was decent. I just suddenly jumped from horrid to maxed). I'm pretty happy with that.

-Brother finished floor 5 of Black Tower, meaning I now have access to Black Tower myself. Currently only 3 floors deep into it, but in a day or two I'll have a second stream of evolution items, particularly the ones I'm desperate for (ie Electric/Fire Stones).

-Today's swarm was Cacturne, and I got a Bibarel from a hidden grotto. Yay for new pokemon added.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, there is a girl in Humilau wearing the Shorts of dresses.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

I did what now...?!
    Well, apparently you've always dreamt of serving food to trainers and pokemon to make them happy, and I only had a lottery shop, so, yeah, I'm not gonna complain if you're gonna give me some more happiness boosts per day.

I, uh, hope Join Avenue isn't one of those things you have to do daily or else you'll lose it. I'm bad at that stuff.

My B2 Adventure update:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I flipped the script on Elesa. On the last game, she had me down to a Tranquil that won out of Quick Attack's priority. While she did prevent Lucario from sweeping in front of all the people (wait, when did I start playing Dragon Warrior 4 again?), Servine was glad enough to step it up.

I kinda take all the talk about how the Relic Ruins are being destroyed too personally. Y'see, there's a building that I went to for elementary school, and a new school was built so they moved all the teachers there and now the building has no function. They did an inspection, and it turns out there's some major health hazards in that building, so they can't turn it into a museum like they thought they would, and said health hazards are preventing it from being torn down safely. I... I want to see it go away for good. Come on, Urban Renewal!

Caught my first N's Pokemon, Klink. Hope you like living in a box, Klink!

From here on out, I am imagining that Clay has the same voice as Doug Dimmadome. He's blinged himself out. I liked his older gym better, but the music's all nice. Wow, they've pretty much nailed the music for the gyms this subgeneration... I hope the legendary pokemon music isn't a wreck like it was last time. As you can probably guess, Clay's gym was an Omanyte and Servine sweep.

I got all up and nervous about the Pokemon World Tour, 'cause I thought that was supposed to be something annoying like the Subway, but then I saw that my pokemon were ten levels higher than the challengers. Wait, my rival beat Clay with those kinds of levels? Oh, and the crowd in PWT reminded me of Dragon Warrior 4 again. Don't know how to feel about that.

"Oh crud. I'm on a boat with like twelve enemy trainers. They're not even going to let me fight my way out of this, are they? ... Wait. What? Okay, yes, that's awesome. Feels like Skies of Arcadia in here." Theeen they had to go wreck it again by giving the Shadow Triad superpowers. *Eyeroll*

And before I forget:

Dream Radar gave me Munna again. Waiting for Game Sync to recharge for Dream World. I kinda need a pokemon for fly, I was thinking Sigilyph but one hasn't appeared in the desert for me. Golurk's also a possibility. I, uh, also need an HM slave or two.

Hey, um, I think this is my first game with widespread moves on pokemon tutors. Which pokemon tutors are one-time-only and which ones are effectively pay-for-TMs?
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-19 at 12:09 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #886

I'm at the pokemon league. I'm just a few presses of the A button away from the Elite Four.

This is going to be obnoxiously hard without Bulbapedia. Does anyone have suggestions as to what level I should grind to? I'm currently working on getting everyone up to lvl. 60, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

If you play smart, you should be fine at 55.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    If you play smart, you should be fine at 55.
    Keeping in mind that I have no idea what pokemon they're using, and I'm nuzlocking, I'm going to try for a bit higher than that.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Keeping in mind that I have no idea what pokemon they're using, and I'm nuzlocking, I'm going to try for a bit higher than that.
    60 is about the level of the Champion's pokemon, so you should be fine, or you could grind a bit higher to be safe.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #890

Sweet. One of, and therefore all of, my party got Pokerus. With this in mind, I have decided to retire Rex, my loyal Herdier, to the Boxes. Interestingly enough, I found this out when I received the "Pokerus Discoverer" Medal, rather than the dialogue with the Nurse.

Interestingly, I retired my loyal dog to the Boxes in Black 1 too, though for a different reason.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    Interestingly, I retired my loyal dog to the Boxes in Black 1 too, though for a different reason.
    Hm... If it was anything like my loyal dog, it was because he evolved and lost pickup.
    ---

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Well, apparently you've always dreamt of serving food to trainers and pokemon to make them happy, and I only had a lottery shop, so, yeah, I'm not gonna complain if you're gonna give me some more happiness boosts per day.
    The particular irony here is that my idea of "cooking" involves none of this "fresh" crap - if it ain't been dead for six weeks it ain't proper food - and baked beans and cans of meat (it's especially funny if we take the context of the anime where half the time all Pokemon eat fruit...!), instant mash powder and cheese (with additional tomato sauce for good measure) all bunged in the microwave at once, with an ended result that already looks like it's been half-digested... And it is awesome!

I...err... probably wouldn't actually eat anything you buy there...

I'm now just imagining it going something like this: "Okay, guys, either you like me more or I'll make you eat Bleakbane's "meals" again!"

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

The particular irony here is that my idea of "cooking" involves none of this "fresh" crap - if it ain't been dead for six weeks it ain't proper food - and baked beans and cans of meat (it's especially funny if we take the context of the anime where half the time all Pokemon eat fruit...!), instant mash powder and cheese (with additional tomato sauce for good measure) all bunged in the microwave at once, with an ended result that already looks like it's been half-digested... And it is awesome!

My pokemon are going to be eating healthier than me. ...I'm... Gonna go raid the area under the couch. For snacks.

Looks like I'll be sending Druddigon to my B2 game tonight. I got, like, six of them to show up, but he's not going to be a party member because I prefer Sheer Force over Mold Breaker. It's worse that none of the good decent simple minigames never show up for me. Stupid grindy Dream World. It was either that, Sandshrew, Onix, or Snover.

Also in Slowpoke news I just today found out that Golurk and Vanilluxe were designed by the same person.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-19 at 05:03 AM.
    ---

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Also in Slowpoke news I just today found out that Golurk and Vanilluxe were designed by the same person.
    Well, Vanilluxe is one of the more stupid-looking Pokemon; then again, we had some of those from the very first generation anyway... And I'd still take ice-cream-cone-for-a-body over Mr Mime or Lickytung or, even in Gen V, Bert and Ernie...

I guess not everything can be a winner.

(Though I'm one of those horrible, horrible people who isn't super-impressed by Golurk in the first place; I'm just not that big a fan of the whole flying robot-punchy-thing anime is so fond of; for which you can solidly blame Star Fleet, Transformers and BattleTech...)

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Route 4 poke: Leaky the Trubbish!
    Also, I went to the name rater and got the DR pokes nicknamed. Shuckle is now Overflow, and Tornadus is now Magi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #896

Nuzlocke update- I'm about to take on the E4. My team is (and will hopefully remain) as follows-

Hipp the Roselia- lvl. 60
    Nofscap the Umbreon- lvl. 60
    Isarm the Jellicant- lvl. 60
    Bribe the Starmie- lvl. 60
    Royalist the Terrakion- lvl. 60
    Demo the Magnezone- lvl. 60

Marshal's got me nervous. I'm hoping that Isarm will be sufficient for getting through him.

EDIT: Well. It could have gone worse, I suppose.

Rest in Peace, Royalist. Killed by Haxorus' earthquake.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-10-19 at 09:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...After Humilau City...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zinzolin pulls a "for me, it was Tuesday" on Hugh. Ouch.

28. - Top - End - #898

Congrats on completion Othesmo. At least you only had one death.

I didn't play nearly as much today. Only thing I really got accomplished was starting to breed a bunch of Shellder on a whim.

I just killed an audino and fed what rare candies I had on hand to test IVs on the two best ones I got, this is the spread I have to choose from:

Format is HP/Att/Def/SpAtt/SpDef/Spd

16/30/17/13/14/29
    31/20/19/28/14/27

Basically first Shellder is stronger and marginally faster, second one has a nice chunk more hp and a little more defense. Also a lot more special attack, but I don't expect to be using that.

Seems like high attack shellder is the obvious choice, but not sure. Anyone else have an opinion?

Other than that, today I got done with Floor 5 on Black Tower, thus unlocking my fire stone. So all my stone evolutions are done now.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fact: if Fused Kyurem starts battle using its signature move against a similar-level Lucario with a decent Fighting or Steel move, something's about to go down like it was just a two-bit punk.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

HI everyone, i'd like a bit of help from the Playground, because i'm torn on a few decisions.

I'm playing White 2, and my team is currently (i'm at the third gym, and my pokemon are all level <20)

Dewott
    Riolu
    Elekid
    Growlithe
    Drilbur
    ????

So i'd like suggestions:
    What to fill in the last slot?
    Should i get a Starmie and replace the starter?
    Should i get Chandelure or Darumaka instead of Growlithe?
    Is elekid ok as electric? or should i take Jolteon, or anything else?

I'm not EV training anything and i didn't really care for IVs (I usually just catch 2-3 of the pokemon i want, compare the stats and pick the better one)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)