New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Question:
    Is there any critical reason to finish Black 1 and Memory Link it before going past a certain part of 2? Or can that be done after beating 2 without missing anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alright, I have, in my life as a gamer, seen some strange stuff. I have seen some forced stuff.

I have never, however, seen a Plot Gate so bizarre and forced as the Line of Dancing Men preventing me from entering Black City, however.

The guy cleaning the Aquatic Tunnel is odd too. But not as much as the Line of Dancing Men.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, am I missing something on this Dream Radar doodad? 'Cause all I'm catching is Munna.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Okay, am I missing something on this Dream Radar doodad? 'Cause all I'm catching is Munna.
    Right. Annoying thing they don't tell you. You see the little circle next to the number of Deam Orbs? The color changes based on how many of each color you got on the previous run. What color it is affects what shows up, as does the amount you've got (including ones you've spent). Also, Munna is really common for Pink.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

...There's different colors of dream orbs?

E: B2 Playthrough update
    Spoiler
    Show
    As nonsensical as it is, I kinda like Chargestone Cave. In fact, I think my disappointment in Black's Victory Road was probably caused because I found Chargestone Cave so, um… Something. It's large enough and twisty enough that you can get off course for a long time, but you don't really get lost in it. Also, caught N's ferroseed. Hope you like living in a box, Ferroseed!

I didn't particularly enjoy Skyla's gym in Black the First, but I'd rather have her old gym instead of the one she has now. I mean, yeah, both of them would cause an OHSA Inspector to crap his pants, but the whole run along so you can wait at the next area just doesn't jive with me in just about every game. Omastar did his job in sweeping everything, including having his Quick Claw activate before Skyla could use Acrobatics. Poetic justice is the best kind of justice. I still don't prefer Weak Armor, but it's having some benefits here and there.

Dream World pokemon is Wooper, so that Quagsire can be an HM slave. Sadly, this still leaves me without a slave for cut or fly. Munna's doing her darndest to upstage Zubat as an annoying pokemon. Everyone on my team is fully-evolved now, too, so I really need some slot fillers.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-20 at 12:48 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Question:
    Is there any critical reason to finish Black 1 and Memory Link it before going past a certain part of 2? Or can that be done after beating 2 without missing anything?
    I feel that having the memory link greatly enhances your playing experience. It makes the world have more life to it.

7. - Top - End - #907

I just found out that Gardevoir is NU tier...

Is there really any way to make her more acceptable for at least a slightly higher tier?
    I was thinking maybe max her speed and Sp Att EVs...
    Any of you guys have an idea?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there's an old post on the Smogon forums about an OU analysis of Gardevoir:
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66961

Not sure how much it applies because it's from DPP, but I think that the best niche for Gardevoir in overused is as a Dual Screens user.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

She's more of a support than a sweeper in my opinion.

I'm no that into competitive stuff that much, but her move pool is pretty solid, though there's probably someone who does it better.

Just looking, she'd fit in quite nicely on a Trick Room team, or possibly running a Calm Mind/Stored Power/PsyShock/Will-O-Wisp set, as a late match sweeper.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Just got to Iris. I really like the Champion battle music

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

Whoa, postgame cutscenes. Cool.

And Hugh's sister got her cat back. Aww...

Now I need to go catch 649 pokemon to trade to my White version in order to get my pokedex completed on this one XD

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    ...There's different colors of dream orbs?

E: B2 Playthrough update
    Spoiler
    Show
    As nonsensical as it is, I kinda like Chargestone Cave. In fact, I think my disappointment in Black's Victory Road was probably caused because I found Chargestone Cave so, um… Something. It's large enough and twisty enough that you can get off course for a long time, but you don't really get lost in it. Also, caught N's ferroseed. Hope you like living in a box, Ferroseed!

I didn't particularly enjoy Skyla's gym in Black the First, but I'd rather have her old gym instead of the one she has now. I mean, yeah, both of them would cause an OHSA Inspector to crap his pants, but the whole run along so you can wait at the next area just doesn't jive with me in just about every game. Omastar did his job in sweeping everything, including having his Quick Claw activate before Skyla could use Acrobatics. Poetic justice is the best kind of justice. I still don't prefer Weak Armor, but it's having some benefits here and there.

Dream World pokemon is Wooper, so that Quagsire can be an HM slave. Sadly, this still leaves me without a slave for cut or fly. Munna's doing her darndest to upstage Zubat as an annoying pokemon. Everyone on my team is fully-evolved now, too, so I really need some slot fillers.
    Yeah, they fade-switch between green and pink.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yeah, they fade-switch between green and pink.
    At first, all the orbs will be pink, but after clearing the Eureka Extensions, more colors get added; green after the first, peach after the second, and blue after the third.

I only got two Munna, but I'm swimming in Bronzors...

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Caught myself an Axew and now I'm off to take on Skyla.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Bugbear in the Playground

Picked up B2. Now I'm in Castelia, after beating Burgh.

Magnemite is fantastic. I also got a Koffing, for the first time in ever, and he's actually performing pretty well. When I get more Chesto Berries, i might go for a Rest/Toxic sort of deal.
    Now I'm trying to find an Eevee in the park, or figure out where the gift one is.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    Picked up B2. Now I'm in Castelia, after beating Burgh.

Magnemite is fantastic. I also got a Koffing, for the first time in ever, and he's actually performing pretty well. When I get more Chesto Berries, i might go for a Rest/Toxic sort of deal.
    Now I'm trying to find an Eevee in the park, or figure out where the gift one is.
    The gift eevee is post E4. Regular eevee have a 5% chance of showing in the regular grass, so it might take a while.

16. - Top - End - #916

I was worried about that for the gift. And the 5% chance doesn't worry me. I got a Riolu from those same odds.

Though I may drop him in favour of Heracross, when find one. I do likes me some Heracross.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Colossus in the Playground

So I had my first battle with the pokemon simulator of smogon on the UU tier, lost 4 to 6.

I like it alot though.

Woot! My first victory!

Team Milotic, Nidoking, Azelf, Darmanitan, Togekiss, Raikou!
    Last edited by Illven; 2012-10-20 at 10:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

YESSSSSSSS

Female dream world Gligar!

Now I just need to buy a Toxic Orb >.>

I'm thinking of putting together a Sandstorm Stall team, and I was wondering if anyone would lend their experience/inexperience/whatever to help point out flaws in it. The pokemon I'm probably looking at are:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Sandstream
    Adamant Nature 152 HP/252 Attack/100 Speed
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Pursuit
    Aqua Tail

Sets up Sandstorm, acts as a tank-killer/trapper with Pursuit. Has Aqua Tail for Landorus, Gliscor, etc.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Impish 252 HP/184 Def/72 Speed
    Protect
    Substitute
    Toxic
    Earthquake

Stalls enemies and kills them with Toxic or Earthquake; my only problem is that it's useless against Skarmory or Levitating steels or Magic Guard pokemon. Kinda for hitting Rotom-W too, since I've had some trouble with it before.

Latias @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Timid 252 HP/6 SpAttack/248 Speed
    Roar
    Wish
    Calm Mind
    Dragon Pulse

Wish passer/Phazer/Setup killer.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Iron Barbs
    Relaxed 252 HP/252 Defense/6 Attack
    Spikes
    Leech Seed
    Stealth Rock
    Thunder Wave

For when Toxic won't work, also more residual damage.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    Quiet 192 HP/64 Defense/252 SpAttack
    Trick Room
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

Conkeldurr counter; I hate that thing so much, I am willing to dedicate a spot to fighting it. even though i use one on my hyper offensive team

Last slot tossup:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Rain Dish/Liquid Ooze
    Bold 252 HP/236 Defense/20 Speed
    Toxic Spikes
    Rapid Spin
    Scald
    Rain Dance/Protect

Tossup between Rain Dish + Rain Dance, and Liquid Ooze + Protect. Or maybe Rain Dish + Protect. I dunno. I haven't seen anyone run a Virizion or other Giga Drain based sweeper recently, or even leech seed, but then I mostly fight against super offensive teams.

aaaand Tentacruel's challenger:

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
    Water Absorb
    Modest 172 HP/252 SpAttack/84 Speed
    Water Spout
    Hydro Pump
    Shadow Ball
    Ice Beam

Spinblocker, but lacking in Leftovers since Latias is eating them all, so I opted for a Choice Specs build to hopefully throw people off.

Thanks
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-10-21 at 02:31 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

19. - Top - End - #919

I have discovered the ultimate pokemon troll.

Cinccino@King's Rock
    Skill Link
    Tail Slap
    Rock Blast
    Bullet Seed
    Encore

The thing just tears through anything that doesn't resist it, and even then it can get flinch locked.

20. - Top - End - #920

Discovery: Black Kyurem is no match for a Flare Blitzing Darmanitan if it takes the time to charge up its Freeze Shock.

Hydreigon is no match for a Lucario that can Aura Sphere/Ice Punch it into next week. (note, this requires its first Dragon Rush to miss).

The above, and other discoveries (e.g. Excadrill can easily sweep Colress solo), mean that the endgame was mildly disappointing. Quite fun, though.

Victory Road next. TO GLORY!
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    The thing just tears through anything that doesn't resist it, and even then it can get flinch locked.
    Priority, faster opponents, and Rocky Helmet. The hat makes Skill Link all the more dangerous for Cinccino, almost any revenge killer is set to beat 115 base speed and Fighting is ridiculously common, and Mach Punch or Extremespeed simply go before Cinccino's entire move set.

22. - Top - End - #922

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Priority, faster opponents, and Rocky Helmet. The hat makes Skill Link all the more dangerous for Cinccino, almost any revenge killer is set to beat 115 base speed and Fighting is ridiculously common, and Mach Punch or Extremespeed simply go before Cinccino's entire move set.
    Perhaps. Fortunately, the number of opponents in the game who meet any of those criteria are few and far between.

Probably should have specified that I meant the game itself, not competitive battling.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-10-21 at 11:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Orc in the Playground

Nuzlocke update. The last time I posted, I had ventured about halfway through Relic Passage and realized how screwed I was. It took me a week to muster up the willpower to make it the rest of the way. I didn't have as many casualties as I thought I'd have (only 3), but I did run out of healing items. First thing I do after making it out, buy 99 super potions. I'm exploring Chargestone Cave now. Thoughts:

• Christ, my rival's team is not that good. And I thought I was underlevelled.
    • Oh, look, the Shadow Triad is back. Complete with their mystical ninja powers. I sure missed this bunch.
    • Why does Deerling/Sawsbuck get Serene Grace? I guess his Rock Smash will always drop Defense. *twirls finger*
    • Chargestone Cave is seriously my favorite location in any Pokemon game, ever.
    • SURPRISE! TRIPLE BATTLE! If I didn't luck out and have my party in the configuration it was (Krokorok/Crobat/Dewott), I would've wiped.
    • SURPRISE! DOUBLE BAT- Oh, wait, no. They give you nuggets. Yay!

Active
    Aids the Solosis, L21-28, Route 16
    Diabeetus the Herdier, L4-28, Floccesy Ranch
    Cavosec the Dewott, L5-28, Aspertia City
    Nolan the Crobat, L16-28, Castellia Sewers
    Kaminette the Krokorok, L15-31, Route 4

Reserve
    Shagster the Minccino, L22, Hidden Grotto
    Joy the Audino, L23, Route 5
    Imaduck the Ducklett, L23, Driftveil Drawbridge
    Zorua the Zorua, L25, Driftveil City
    Schumacher the Woobat, L27, Relic Passage
    Jigawatts the Joltik, L27, Chargestone Cave

RIP
    Unnamed Sunkern, L2, Route 20
    Not actually caught, KOed out of spite.
    Hathaway the Purrloin, L2-10, Route 19
    Died to a Pursuing Dunsparce (of all things) on Route 20.
    Hsowa the Skitty, L16, Castellia City
    Heavily wounded on its first battle in the Sewers, died to a Pursuing Rattata during its second.
    Rosepierre the Roserade, L23-25, Lostlorn Forest
    Died after a missed Grasswhistle to Clay's Krokorok's Crunch.
    Akem Manah the Yamask, L19-26, Relic Castle
    Failed to escape from a Boldore which, of course, then criticalled with a Rock Slide. First Relic Passage casualty.
    Roxcallion the Dwebble, L19-26, Desert Resort
    Died to Swoobat Air Slash critical flinchax. Second Relic Passage casualty.
    Faraday the Magnemite, L11-27, Virbank Complex
    Also died to Swoobat Air Slash critical flinchax. Third Relic Passage casualty.
    Bambino the Deerling, L25-26, Route 6
    Failed to escape from a wild Joltik twice, Bug Bitten twice.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-10-21 at 11:42 AM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

24. - Top - End - #924

The other day, I finally go Pearl version. Yeah, I'm a bit behind. Right now though I've just beaten Gardenia and I'm looking for either a dark type or a fire type to round out my team (or a houndour, or a fire type that learns bite, etc). Is there anything like that available relatively early?
    Last edited by Dvil; 2012-10-21 at 12:11 PM.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    First thing I do after making it out, buy 99 super potions.
    Noooooooooooooooooooo! Lemonades are half the price and heal more! And Moomoo Milk is still cheaper and heals more!
    ---

26. - Top - End - #926
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    The other day, I finally go Pearl version. Yeah, I'm a bit behind. Right now though I've just beaten Gardenia and I'm looking for either a dark type or a fire type to round out my team (or a houndour, or a fire type that learns bite, etc). Is there anything like that available relatively early?
    Sorry, Houndour's only in Platinum. Diamond and Pearl only have the Chimchar and Ponyta lines for fire types. I know, it sucks.

Anyway, about to go through Victory Road in White 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Was anyone else really underwhelmed by Ghetsis? I mean, the White Battle nearly resulted in a party wipe for me and I used all my max revives, but here my only KO was Arcanine, because I didn't know Hydreigon had Life Orb and Outrage didn't take off as much health as I would have liked. But it still knocked off over half and Lucario was able to Aura Sphere KO it next turn. I just...I kinda wish Ghetsis had higher-leveled pokemon this time around, while last time I was like, "Oh god oh god oh god." Though I liked the battle theme; it really showed how Ghetsis hasn't exactly been on friendly terms with sanity but now he's gone completely over the edge.

I liked Colress' battle theme though; I found it intense but also kinda sad at the same time, as though he doesn't want to fight you so much as he has to. I like to think that Colress wasn't willingly working with Team Plasma, but was forced into helping capture and use Kyurem by Ghetsis. Or maybe he joined earlier, not knowing what Plasma was really up to, but when he tried to quit Ghetsis wouldn't let him under threat of becoming Hydreigon chow. So now he's been trying to drop hints to your character throughout the journey, and he has to tell you he's been working with Plasma at the end because Ghetsis is watching him through the monitor. But when nobody's following you, and he hands you the machine to let you get into the Frigate, when you're about to leave Colress grabs you by the shoulder and just looks at you for a moment before running off.

And then you turn over the machine he gave you and on the back is scrawled, "Help me."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-21 at 12:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    You want a fire type?

snrkhahahahahahahahaha.

The only fire types native to Sinnoh in Pearl were Infernape and Rapidash trees.

You can't grab Rapidash until just after Solaceon.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Sorry, Houndour's only in Platinum. Diamond and Pearl only have the Chimchar and Ponyta lines for fire types. I know, it sucks.

Anyway, about to go through Victory Road in White 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Was anyone else really underwhelmed by Ghetsis? I mean, the White Battle nearly resulted in a party wipe for me and I used all my max revives, but here my only KO was Arcanine, because I didn't know Hydreigon had Life Orb and Outrage didn't take off as much health as I would have liked. But it still knocked off over half and Lucario was able to Aura Sphere KO it next turn. I just...I kinda wish Ghetsis had higher-leveled pokemon this time around, while last time I was like, "Oh god oh god oh god." Though I liked the battle theme; it really showed how Ghetsis hasn't exactly been on friendly terms with sanity but now he's gone completely over the edge.

I liked Colress' battle theme though; I found it intense but also kinda sad at the same time, as though he doesn't want to fight you so much as he has to. I like to think that Colress wasn't willingly working with Team Plasma, but was forced into helping capture and use Kyurem by Ghetsis. Or maybe he joined earlier, not knowing what Plasma was really up to, but when he tried to quit Ghetsis wouldn't let him under threat of becoming Hydreigon chow. So now he's been trying to drop hints to your character throughout the journey, and he has to tell you he's been working with Plasma at the end because Ghetsis is watching him through the monitor. But when nobody's following you, and he hands you the machine to let you get into the Frigate, when you're about to leave Colress grabs you by the shoulder and just looks at you for a moment before running off.

And then you turn over the machine he gave you and on the back is scrawled, "Help me."
    Just defeated Ghetsis myself, and I managed it without any casualties- but then again I did have Terrakion as part of my team... and none of the rest of my team are slouches either...

Pre victory road team is as follows:

Lv56 Terrakion
    Lv56 Arcanine (Flash Fire)
    Lv56 Magneton (Sturdy) @ Eviolite
    Lv56 Heracross (Guts) @ Toxic Orb
    Lv56 Flygon @ Wide Lens
    Lv57 Starmie (Illuminate)

I know the team has some room for improvement, but at this stage I'd rather wait until post elite four rather than lose momentum whilst rebuilding my team.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #929

Wait, seriously? Not even Flareon? Darn. How about dark types though, any of those within reach?
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    He managed to knock me down to just my Magnezone... though in review, I did have the tools to reduce his team's effectiveness a little more, and I would have come out with a couple more alive if it wasn't for his team's crazy luck and a few bad gambles on my part

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    When you get to the Frigate and see him there, however, the only way I could interpret it is that SCIENCE! is his only morality.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-21 at 12:57 PM.