New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    *glares at Omanyte* So I grabbed an Omanyte from Dream World in Black 2. Perfect, I thought. I needed a surfer and I like my pokemon somewhat bulky. It was only later that I discovered that Weak Armour is an absolutely terrible ability, at least on him.
    If you'll check my spoilers throughout the thread, you'll see that I'm using Omanyte from the same bag, too. And, well, yeah, I'm still kinda torn on its abilities. In my opinion, Weak Armor can be used more than Shell Armor in game, and Swift Swim's not too useful to me because I'm not running Rain Dance. It's actually worked out a bit, because I had situations where I'd start a rollout, get hit, and then hit with the moderately useful rollout damage before I got hit again, then I'd keep the rollout going for the rest of the battle because in-game pokemon aren't too fast. Though, now I have Ancientpower, so Rollout's long gone. Currently his moveset is Surf/Ancientpower/Mud Shot/Bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Google tells me Circle Throw is basically whirlwind/roar.
    It deals damage, though, so it's basically Dragon Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    What wasn't clear from Serebii was how often you could direct people to places to up the ratings and whatnot.
    Oh, also, your deli's the most popular shop in my avenue now.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-22 at 12:44 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    If you'll check my spoilers throughout the thread, you'll see that I'm using Omanyte from the same bag, too. And, well, yeah, I'm still kinda torn on its abilities. In my opinion, Weak Armor can be used more than Shell Armor in game, and Swift Swim's not too useful to me because I'm not running Rain Dance. It's actually worked out a bit, because I had situations where I'd start a rollout, get hit, and then hit with the moderately useful rollout damage before I got hit again, then I'd keep the rollout going for the rest of the battle because in-game pokemon aren't too fast. Though, now I have Ancientpower, so Rollout's long gone. Currently his moveset is Surf/Ancientpower/Mud Shot/Bite.
    Yeah, Weak Armour can be used more, but I've found that's a bad thing. Omanyte and Omastar both have very low speed, and taking hits which weakens your defense in order to make the speed even compare to plenty of other pokemon seems just bad all around. At least if you're not using EVs and Natures to try and take advantage of it somehow, and I'm sure there are better ways to use Omastar if you wanted to do that.

I think Kabutops benefits from the Weak Armour ability more. He has high defense as well, and will start out speeding people with a speed boost since he has not terrible speed to begin with.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I dunno... I had 3 show up when I had a level 2 avenue, and then 3 continued to show up when I had a level 3 avenue.
    If I had to guess, I think it might be one fan per two Join Avenue ranks; mine is at 16 (17, now—one of today's fans was Clay) and I got 8 fans.

The main ones that seem really worthwhile are the Gym and Salon, but I also like the Shop, and I'm curious as to what a high level restraunt has to differentiate it from a salon.
    Restaurants/Cafés also have level-boosting meals; between my rank 8 café and rank 8 gym, I can buy 11 levels per day, 5 from the café and 6 from the gym.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2012-10-22 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, Weak Armour can be used more, but I've found that's a bad thing. Omanyte and Omastar both have very low speed, and taking hits which weakens your defense in order to make the speed even compare to plenty of other pokemon seems just bad all around. At least if you're not using EVs and Natures to try and take advantage of it somehow, and I'm sure there are better ways to use Omastar if you wanted to do that.
    Oh, undoubtedly. Given the circumstances, though, I'm just trying to get at the white lining here.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

5. - Top - End - #965

Also, some of the shops don't show up til later. Like the Nursery doesn't show up until your Join Avenue is level 15 (according to Serebii, mine isn't that high yet). And even once it unlocks, I'm not sure I'd spend the slot on it. Once per day increased egg hatching speed just doesn't seem worth it given if I'm breeding I'm hatching eggs by the dozens. The Flame Body hatch speed increase is far more useful and doesn't take up a slot from my avenue.
    Speaking of breeding...I know I saw that you can't get to the original town from B/W until after the Elite Four...where's the breeding at then in this game, because the original one is within that area I can't reach til endgame now D:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the record, Feraligatr is pure evil. I'm still working on getting a team good enough that he doesn't absolutely pwn everything after a single boost. If anybody would be willing to help me, I'd be much obliged.

The Team
    Spoiler
    Show

Crustle@Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Impish 224 HP, 252 Def, 32 Sp. Def
    Spikes
    Steal Rock
    Stone Edge
    X-Scissor
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Crustle we all know and love. Sturdy guarantees at least SR, and I can generally get down a few layers of spikes, too. If he survives, he's useful as a sponge in the late game when I really can't afford to switch into an attack.

As an added plus, Stone Edge 2HKOs Aerodactyl leads (or 1HKOs if I get a crit), which has come in handy several times. Also, I think people forget that Dark is weak to Bug. I've gotten a few surprise KOs on Absols who seem to think that Crustle is safe to set up on.

Stunfisk@Leftovers
    Static
    Bold 252 HP, 192 Def, 64 Sp. Def
    Discharge
    Earth Power
    Scald
    Toxic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone underestimates this guy. He can sponge an Earth Power from Nidoqueen and hit right back with Scald or an Earth Power of his own. He's also found use in the ability to take a Facade or Bravebird from Guts Swellow and KO with Discharge, and generally wreaking status among the masses.

Roselia@Eviolite
    Natural Cure
    Calm 252 HP, 4 Def, 284 Sp. Def
    Toxic Spikes
    Giga Drain
    Rest
    Sludge Bomb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roselia is just awesome. Rest+Natural Cure means that she can stay in quite a while and sponge any sort of status. However, she has one particular niche that she fills- even after taking Stealth Rock, she can survive a +2 Modest Ice Beam from Omastar and KO with Giga Drain (restoring most of her life in the process). She's responsible for getting me through quite a few Shell Smash Omastars who would otherwise tear right through my team. Sludge Bomb ensures that she isn't walled by other grass types, and packs a punch against Rotom-Grass.

Possible Changes: Toxic Spikes really doesn't see that much use. I might consider replacing it with Aromatherapy to provide recovery to stuff like burned scyther or toxic'd quagsire that would otherwise be screwed.

Scyther@Eviolite
    Technician
    Jolly 248 HP, 8 Attack, 252 Spd
    Swords Dance
    Aerial Ace
    Roost
    Brick Break
    Spoiler
    Show
    My one and only sweeper, and he excels at his job. Switch in on a grass type (Tangrowth is ideal, since it has absolutely nothing that can touch Scyther), grab a Swords Dance boost, and tear through the enemy's team. I'm very glad that I decided to go for Eviolite. I cannot count the number of times somebody's swung at me with a super effective move, gotten me down to 10%, and promptly been KOed. With the Eviolite, Scyther is as bulky as Roselia, and can hit many times harder.

The only thing Scyther can't do is take out Fire types. They're often either speedy enough to score a hit before I can attack, or bulky enough to retaliate. Stealth Rock support is an absolute must, and I prefer to have all fire types cleared before even letting Scyther out.

Quagsire@Leftovers
    Unaware
    Relaxed 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
    Scald
    Recover
    Toxic
    Earthquake
    Spoiler
    Show
    I used to have a Slowking here, but he really didn't add much to the team, apart from occasionally surprising ferroseeds with Fire Blast. Stunfisk was better at status, which made his only redeeming factor his type- he's was the only one on my team who resisted fire.

I mentioned that I was having problems with Feraligatr sweepers. Quagsire is the answer. Drop him in, watch the stat bonuses fall, and start tanking unboosted neutral hits. He's got a serious weakness for special grass attackers, but if the opponent switches to one he's already served his purpose. I haven't had an opportunity to test him out yet, but I'm hoping it'll alleviate the problem.

Possible Changes: Dropping Earthquake for Stockpile would make this thing an absolute behemoth defensively, but it does open itself up for anything with a water immunity, and I want this to be as close to an all-purpose check as possible.

Emboar@Choice Scarf
    Blaze
    Jolly 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Flare Blitz
    Wild Charge
    Superpower
    Earthquake
    Spoiler
    Show
    I previously had a foresight+rapid spin Hitmonlee here. However, as I accumulated matches, I noticed that his primary function was as a revenge killer, and an occasional sweeper should the enemy's team have a weakness to fighting. I used rapid spin very rarely (scyther is the only team member who needs the support, and he's better off just switching into a grass type and roosting the damage off), and I used foresight never (the only ghost types I've encountered are Golurk and Rotom. The former can KO me before I get the chance to spin, and the latter can just be KOed with another pokemon anyways). That was all well and good, but I felt as if I were wasting two moveslots, and Slowking's removal left me with exactly 0 fire type coverage.

Behold, the solution. He outspeeds everything short of Accelgor, and hits hard. Ferroseed and Excavalier, two pokemon who would otherwise wall me, are promptly incinerated. He doesn't last long, but he doesn't have to. Once any steel types on the other side are down, he can pop back onto the bench, only to be called upon in emergencies.

So, any comments or suggestions? My original team won me the majority of the matches I played, which was a kind departure from what I was imagining (They say that n00bs are burned at the stake in RU land...). I'm hoping that this one will help get me past what's been giving me trouble (*cough* Feraligatr *cough*) without losing too much of my previous team's strength.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-10-22 at 06:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, also, your deli's the most popular shop in my avenue now.
    There's clearly no accounting for taste...!

Knowing me, I've probably spiked the food with some sort of highly-addictive ingredient...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-22 at 06:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Orc in the Playground

Steel team stuff.
    It's not that crazy; there's certainly worse types you could have picked. If you could fit one of the Steel-Psychics or Steel-Bugs, that'd help shore you up defensively as far as Fighting types go (not to mention a possible Ground immunity or neutrality); I'm only in Chargestone Cave, but the Fighting types in the region are really tough, and Fighting/Ground moves seem far more common than Fire moves (plus the former two have a Gym Leader/Elite Four member), which is good because without Heatran, you're not circumventing a Fire weakness.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-10-22 at 07:07 AM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking about getting a Forretress in Black and trading it over. I could potentially track down a Scyther in SS and transfer it up and get myself a Scizor. Or maybe catch a Metang at the Giant Chasm if I can access that in not too too long.

Decisions decisions.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-10-22 at 08:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    Speaking of breeding...I know I saw that you can't get to the original town from B/W until after the Elite Four...where's the breeding at then in this game, because the original one is within that area I can't reach til endgame now D:
    That's the only one. No breeding til post E-4. Same thing for Fishing (which was FAR more annoying to me)

Edit: Today I only had 6 fans in JA, despite having 8 yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if this is just completely random.

Edit2: Just looked up the Restraunt on serebii. Wow they have some great stuff after you level them up. The levels from meals are actually more cost efficient than levels from a gym (12,000 per level vs 15,000 per level), and the EVs cost the same per EV (1500 per EV in each case), though you can get more per day from the gym.

As an aside, Serebii only shows progression of shop Inventory to level 10, which is where you get Training lvl 4 (for 4 levels) in a Dojo. But supposedly there's a Training Level 20 where you gain 7 levels. Wonder how you're supposed to get that.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-10-22 at 08:40 AM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #971

That's the only one. No breeding til post E-4. Same thing for Fishing (which was FAR more annoying to me)
    WAT??? But I need a better water type, Azumarill's attack is @#$%
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

12. - Top - End - #972

That was me up until around the 6th gym. It really is extremely annoying. Even after getting Surf there was no water types I really liked until Undella Town (though I wound up settling on using Jellicent just out of convenience)

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Catch another Azumarill. Huge Power ones are the only ones worth keeping.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

*pokes at B2 water types* They aren't fantastic, are they. I noticed I had the same problem. Since I have access to a second DS and Black, I've accessed the daycare through that (but boy is it a pain).

Course, I took that to another level by starting a new game in Pearl to get Piplup, transferred it to Black, did my grinding there, then traded it to Black 2. I won't take over leveled people from other games to make the game easier, but I will take shortcuts when it saves me hours of grinding.

15. - Top - End - #975

*pokes at B2 water types* They aren't fantastic, are they. I noticed I had the same problem. Since I have access to a second DS and Black, I've accessed the daycare through that (but boy is it a pain).
    I do too, but at the request of my friend, I'm not breeding myself a Totodile, Oshawatt, Ser...whatever that grass starter is, Axew, or anything else. He's challenged me to play it as a new game, not as a "I can get myself my dream team right away". D:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nope. Samurott, Jellicent, and Vaporeon are basically the best ones you can get before the E4, and only one of those is easy to catch.

17. - Top - End - #977

Nope. Samurott, Jellicent, and Vaporeon are basically the best ones you can get before the E4, and only one of those is easy to catch.
    Eh if you're looking at immediately pre-E4 you have a few other options. You can pick up a Starmie, which while not in the OU tier, is definitely sufficient for wiping out NPC pokemon. (For that use, it's definitely better than Jellicent and Vaporeon, they're more useful competitively because of their durability, but if you just want to kill the E4, the best way usually is just find something blasty that can kill them quickly.)

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh if you're looking at immediately pre-E4 you have a few other options. You can pick up a Starmie, which while not in the OU tier, is definitely sufficient for wiping out NPC pokemon. (For that use, it's definitely better than Jellicent and Vaporeon, they're more useful competitively because of their durability, but if you just want to kill the E4, the best way usually is just find something blasty that can kill them quickly.)
    Eh, Starmie isn't OU anymore? *news to me*

Moreover, Dream Radar has Staryu fairly early on, even if it comes with crappy Analytic.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-10-22 at 01:13 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Eh, Starmie isn't OU anymore? *news to me*

Moreover, Dream Radar has Staryu fairly early on, even if it comes with crappy Analytic.
    Maybe it is, but I was under the impression it was too squishy and not beefy enough to crack into the OU tier. There's simply better options out there for nearly anything Starmie can do. If someone who knows more about it says otherwise, I won't argue it.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...Oh, yeah. Starmie. Which if you aren't using Dream World, comes in a little too late to maximize its usefulness.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe it is, but I was under the impression it was too squishy and not beefy enough to crack into the OU tier. There's simply better options out there for nearly anything Starmie can do. If someone who knows more about it says otherwise, I won't argue it.
    Smogon still has it as OU, and despite the shakeups that B2/W2 add in, I don't think they change things for Starmie too much. It's still a ridiculously fast Rapid Spinner with decent Sp.A and excellent coverage.

[/smogonmiming]
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-10-22 at 02:20 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Starmie is the fastest Water type barring Splash Plate Arceus. Also, of the 23 Pokemon that outspeed it, only 11 have a higher Special Attack; and of those 11, a whopping 7 of them are Ubers. Alakazam, Jolteon, and Tornadus-T are the only OU Pokemon that are faster and stronger. However, one could argue that Starmie has the best movepool to abuse.

Lol Sceptile is RU

EDIT: Oh yeah, Floatzel ties Starmie for fastest Water type
    Last edited by boj0; 2012-10-22 at 03:42 PM.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Halfling in the Playground

A word to drop about Weak Armor Omastar:

It can make for a suprisingly potent sweeper combined with Shell Break/Smash and Focus Sash, since a +3 speed, +2 SpA Omastar is pretty deadly, though not as much as his Swift Version. Can be used as a fairly dependable offensive lead, though not if you face a Taunter

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Lol Sceptile is RU
    Sceptile has only a modest movepool and a type that is fairly poor both defensively and offensively. It's a fast SubSeed user, but Whimsicott can put those up with priority. It has a few tools that make it usable, but overall it fits best in RU.

25. - Top - End - #985

Alright, got the third badge, so some updates:

Team Update:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dewott - Level 18
    Lucario - Level 18
    Genesect - Level 18
    Magby - Level 22
    Magnemite - Level 20
    Sunkern - Level 18

Story/Game Update (3rd Badge):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, got taken into the sewers with the rival, to find Team Plasma... ran into creepy Scientist dude. If he's supposed to be the new Big Bad, color me unimpressed.

Variety of Pokemon in the sewer was lackluster, though I found some grass INSIDE THE CITY... and... A DAMN EEVEE. IN THE WILD! Aren't they supposed to be like... 1 per game? As in, you have to breed it to get more? What the hell!?

3rd Gym was a breeze with Magby. I didn't even have to leave once, he just swept through from level 16 to 22 by the end of it.

Looks like Mr. Scientist is on Route 4 (North), so I'll go check out a battle with him next time I play, and see where it goes from there.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Sceptile has only a modest movepool and a type that is fairly poor both defensively and offensively. It's a fast SubSeed user, but Whimsicott can put those up with priority. It has a few tools that make it usable, but overall it fits best in RU.
    Which is why I lol'd, Sceptile can effectively take out Starmie in one shot; but since it's in RU you'll almost never run into one.

I do agree though, SD Flying Gem Acrobatics Sceptile with Unburden destroys things in RU, Leaf Blade for STAB and Earthquake for coverage...tasty.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

How far into BW2 do you have to be before you can share the data (for the flashbacks and whatnot) with BW, out of curiosity?

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    How far into BW2 do you have to be before you can share the data (for the flashbacks and whatnot) with BW, out of curiosity?
    Into BW2? As soon as you've saved once.

Into BW1? Best to finish it first so you don't have to keep updating.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually really like to use durable pokemon, so I could have considered the latter two. I just hadn't encountered Frillish yet and never bothered to get an Eevee. Oh well, I got my steel team now. *nodnod*

I do too, but at the request of my friend, I'm not breeding myself a Totodile, Oshawatt, Ser...whatever that grass starter is, Axew, or anything else. He's challenged me to play it as a new game, not as a "I can get myself my dream team right away". D:
    D= I figured since I already did that in Black, I'd play with my pokemon options this time.

Quote Originally Posted by plllizzz View Post
    A word to drop about Weak Armor Omastar:

It can make for a suprisingly potent sweeper combined with Shell Break/Smash and Focus Sash, since a +3 speed, +2 SpA Omastar is pretty deadly, though not as much as his Swift Version. Can be used as a fairly dependable offensive lead, though not if you face a Taunter
    That's fair. I did actually take a look at that, but at level 73 (if I recall) it's too late game seeing as I was mostly thinking in terms of the main campaign.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Which is why I lol'd, Sceptile can effectively take out Starmie in one shot; but since it's in RU you'll almost never run into one.

I do agree though, SD Flying Gem Acrobatics Sceptile with Unburden destroys things in RU, Leaf Blade for STAB and Earthquake for coverage...tasty.
    The reason why Sceptile is in RU despite being able to likely OHKO Starmie is because there's only a handful of situations where it can do that. It has trouble setting up in OU due to its low defenses and the number of Pokémon that are simply better than it in some way. Most sweepers and revenge killers at that stage can either resist one hit from Sceptile or simply go first with Choice Scarf or a good priority move, and then they don't have to go far to smash through its modest defenses.

It does better than poor old Charizard, though.