New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    After Drayden, any gym leader's going to be a disappointment, whether it's in character design or chosen Pokémon. That this particular gym leader has the design he does only compounds the issue.
    Naw, what compounds the issue is that he could have been Crasher Wake.

But in all seriousness, spoilering because I think I'm getting into that territory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't help that we were given a significant detour through a cave, the self-proclaimed longest route in Unova, and the battle bridge between the 6th and 7th gym, but then the 8th gym is practically a straight line away. I mean, that's what the Aquarium is. It's this far away from being literally a straight line. When I was told that I was supposed to be looking for a gym leader, I was all sat up to do some sidequest through a lighthouse or something, and the guy shows up five steps later. I... I guess it was intended to be a comedy relief thing? I mean, yeah, he was a joke, but I don't think that's the kind of joke for which they were aiming.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I challenge you to do an Electric mono-type run!
    Clarification: would that challenge permit use of dual-type Electric pokes or am I really restricted to ELECTRIC ONLY, BAR NOTHING.

I ask, because if I'm allowed dualtype Electrics, I can do things like have Surf (kind of nice to have) and mitigate how completely boned Electric gets by Ground mons. If not, I'ma have to use an HM Slave, which kinda makes me raise an eyebrow at the validity of my team under said challenge.

Just sayin', I can do a Electric mon run if I'm allowed stuff like (HEAT)Rotom, Magnezone, Galvantula, Lanturn, and Emolga. If I'm limited to Pikachu, Electabuzz, Ampharos, Luxray, and Electross... mreh.

Cause, man, I could do with having some High Explosive Anti Tank Rotom all up in my team. /lol

That all Rotom team is interesting, but man, I better hope to one tap God and everything cause Rotom can NOT take a hit...

Well, it's a good thing I was planning on sending Eggs to my White 2 cart, because, man, waiting til V Road for TBolt? Forget that noise...
    Last edited by ryzouken; 2012-10-24 at 10:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryzouken View Post
    Clarification: would that challenge permit use of dual-type Electric pokes or am I really restricted to ELECTRIC ONLY, BAR NOTHING.

I ask, because if I'm allowed dualtype Electrics, I can do things like have Surf (kind of nice to have) and mitigate how completely boned Electric gets by Ground mons. If not, I'ma have to use an HM Slave, which kinda makes me raise an eyebrow at the validity of my team under said challenge.

Just sayin', I can do a Electric mon run if I'm allowed stuff like (HEAT)Rotom, Magnezone, Galvantula, Lanturn, and Emolga. If I'm limited to Pikachu, Electabuzz, Ampharos, Luxray, and Electross... mreh.

Cause, man, I could do with having some High Explosive Anti Tank Rotom all up in my team. /lol

That all Rotom team is interesting, but man, I better hope to one tap God and everything cause Rotom can NOT take a hit...
    If you were doing a Mono-Electric run, I'd recommend Electivire heartily. Reasons:
    1. Massive movepool filled to the brim with goodies like the elemental punches, wild charge, earthquake, cross chop, etc, etc. Which pretty much means he can nuke anything for super effective damage.
    2. Pretty decent attacking stats (can easily run a Physical, Special or Mixed set)
    3. Free immunity to Electric attacks through Motor Drive.
    4. Looks freakin' sweet. (I mean come on... he's a Yeti)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    If you were doing a Mono-Electric run, I'd recommend Electivire heartily. Reasons:
    1. Massive movepool filled to the brim with goodies like the elemental punches, wild charge, earthquake, cross chop, etc, etc. Which pretty much means he can nuke anything for super effective damage.
    2. Pretty decent attacking stats (can easily run a Physical, Special or Mixed set)
    Electabuzz is on the list in the very post you quoted. The only question is whether I evolve it to Electivire, given that if I do so I will then need to pay attention to his level with regard to the number of gym badges I accrue (not that that's a huge issue.)

Though, I do greatly dislike Electivire's design...

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    Electivire: It hits for super effective!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Electabuzz is on the list in the very post you quoted. The only question is whether I evolve it to Electivire, given that if I do so I will then need to pay attention to his level with regard to the number of gym badges I accrue (not that that's a huge issue.)

Actually, you won't. All that matters is whether he started on the game you're using him in, not whether he's been traded and traded back again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Electrivire actually used to have a set called "It's Super Effective!" because it could hit almost every Pokemon in the game for super-effective damage with one of its attacks. You used Expert Belt because it was on almost all the time.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Electrivire actually used to have a set called "It's Super Effective!" because it could hit almost every Pokemon in the game for super-effective damage with one of its attacks. You used Expert Belt because it was on almost all the time.
    Isn't that basically the PBR set? Earthquake and the punches?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Silly idea: Hugh's catchphrase needs to be introduced to Stu Deeoh. Then they could make RageCandyBar commercials. "I'm about to unleash my Rage!" (Candy bar)

...Yes, this was spawned by my "payment" in Pokéstar Studios. Almost makes Trident commercials sound reasonable. "I'd love to get paid in gum!"
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-24 at 12:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

How does Pokestar Studios work?

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After you beat Roxie, you get scouted. Then after you see her dad's version of the flick (which is a flop, but shows you what successful and not-successful line choices will do to your audience), you get to re-shoot the same thing.

Essentially, the entire thing is a puzzle battle. You're given a goal (defeat your opponent in X turns, sometimes with a hideously underleveled Pokémon, or let the opponent survive X turns, and they are the underleveled one), and a script that suggests how you do it. In between certain turns, you'll get a bit of dialogue (and yes, your character is quite talkative when acting) and you'll need to feed the right line. The right line makes the mission easier (usually by locking the enemy into a bad move choice), the wrong one makes it harder. Often, however, the last movie in a serial has a powerful target that will not hesitate to deal OHKOs before you have a chance to read your line.

Pokéstar Studios is about 90% greenscreen, so even though you do it entirely in your street clothes, the end result gives you and your opponent various costumes (i.e. they turn Sabrina into an evil witch-queen even though she's wearing the HGSS outfit during shooting). There's also a lot of props and greensuit actors, letting them give you enemy trainers that aren't even human (a Substitute plush, for one) and opponents that aren't Pokémon (i.e. Mecha Tyranitar or an UFO).

Depending on how the film turns out, you can either earn profit (either complete the script, or subvert it in an "interesting" way) or lose money (fail the scripted mission). As you make more money, you get more fans. Fans will give you items as you complete movies, and they're the only payment you get. The items you get from them depend on how the movie turned out, and if it's the last one in a serial, you get better prizes.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-24 at 01:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Do you get any real prizes for it, or is it just for fun?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Do you get any real prizes for it, or is it just for fun?
    See the edit. Also, this. (Though the title of the image is also off... poor Nate.)

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Orc in the Playground

Took out Skyla, and I'm grinding (for the first time) before I go through Reversal mountain.

Active
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cavosec the Samurott, L5-40, Aspertia City
    Nolan the Crobat, L16-40, Castellia Sewers
    Kaminette the Krookodile, L15-40, Route 4
    Jigawatts the Galvantula, L27-40, Chargestone Cave
    Trippin the Amoongus, L36-40, Route 7
    Aku the Litwick, L29-40, Celestial Tower

Reserve
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shagster the Minccino, L22, Hidden Grotto
    Joy the Audino, L23, Route 5
    Imaduck the Ducklett, L23, Driftveil Drawbridge
    Zorua the Zorua, L25, Driftveil City
    Schumacher the Woobat, L27, Relic Passage
    Sanduski the Vibrava, L38, Reversal Mountain

RIP
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unnamed Sunkern, L2, Route 20
    Not actually caught, KOed out of spite.
    Hathaway the Purrloin, L2-10, Route 19
    Died to a Pursuing Dunsparce (of all things) on Route 20.
    Hsowa the Skitty, L16, Castellia City
    Heavily wounded on its first battle in the Sewers, died to a Pursuing Rattata during its second.
    Rosepierre the Roserade, L23-25, Lostlorn Forest
    Died after a missed Grasswhistle to Clay's Krokorok's Crunch.
    Akem Manah the Yamask, L19-26, Relic Castle
    Failed to escape from a Boldore which, of course, then criticalled with a Rock Slide. First Relic Passage casualty.
    Roxcallion the Dwebble, L19-26, Desert Resort
    Died to Swoobat Air Slash critical flinchax. Second Relic Passage casualty.
    Faraday the Magnemite, L11-27, Virbank Complex
    Also died to Swoobat Air Slash critical flinchax. Third Relic Passage casualty.
    Bambino the Deerling, L25-26, Route 6
    Chargestone Cave, failed to escape from a wild Joltik twice, Bug Bitten twice.
    Aids the Solosis, L21-28, Route 16
    Stupid pursuit users. Chargestone Cave, trainer with a Zebstrika.
    Diabeetus the Herdier, L4-31, Floccesy Ranch
    Died on Route 7 to a Cincinno's Tail Slap. The second hit criticalled; the third finished the job. <sniff>He never became a fully realized Diabeetus.</sniff>
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-10-24 at 01:12 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Sounds awesome. I think I'd totally do that instead of saving the world and getting all the badges.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You get to be a robotics scientist, a hero, a ninja, a prince(ss), a time-traveling scientist, a secret agent...

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

As long as it has the Electric type, it is fair game. Mono-mono type runs are very unfun in general.

Part of the rules of the run will be that you may have -one- traded over electric type, to serve in place of your starter. So you're limited to what you can find in game.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2012-10-24 at 01:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...I don't know how I feel about having a Policeman fan who is "staking me out..."

Also, the New-Plasma fan asking if it's OK that she's my fan... so long as she keeps paying me, it's fine... but the moment we lock eyes outside the theater...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-24 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Troll in the Playground

Well, hypothetically, you could use a Surfing Pikachu, but then you'd still be boned on waterfalls.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Well, hypothetically, you could use a Surfing Pikachu, but then you'd still be boned on waterfalls.
    You can't Transfer a Pokémon that knows any HM moves. Thus, Surfachu (and Fly-chu) is illegal in Gen V.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

Surfing Pikachu hasn't been introduced to Gen V yet? Huh, that surprises me.
    ---

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Wooo! Got Black 2 for birthday as I hoped hoped!

Have literally only played twenty minutes (just past first battle) - partly as a reward for my niece to watch because she let me use her DS to Memory Link1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pokemon centre in the starting town? What manner of madness is this?!

Didn't do bad with Snivy either; first attempt was Hardy with a 30 Spd IV and the other stats (well, aside from defense, I think) looked to be in the range of ten to twenty-five, which I thought was a reasonable enough start for only being able to look at level 5. It's very likely Snivy will be phased out as I go though, as without some breeding, it's fairly poor by even the low standards of the pure grass starters. (Come back Bulbasaur, all is forgiven...!)

Right, off to play until my next natural break point (when I've got some Pokemon to trade!) for when I borrow my niece's DS again!

(She doesn't do too bad out of the arrangement, though - she got a mild Zorua bred off the one Forrestfire traded me, so she was well chuffed!

Also, she needs to crib my charger at the moment, as they've lost hers, so it all works out!)

1By-the-by, for anyone else interested, you can do it even before you start the game (which I did), and the transferred data is independant of your saved game information, which is not only highly unusual of Nintendo, but also really kinda cool!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-24 at 04:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are you able to get Pokemon-exclusive items from wonder mail in Mystery Dungeon: Sky? I tried to get all the exclusive items for my Eevee, but all I got was Poke. Do I need to wait for something to happen?

Also: Am I the only one who finds it weird that in the new Pokemon games, the movies you star in are only a couple minutes long, and yet it becomes a billion-dollar franchise within minutes of its release? Seriously, the first movie's released, I watch it right after screening, then I head back out and it has a gross of 36 billion. I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible, much less logical.
    Last edited by Augmental; 2012-10-24 at 05:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

And RNG had it's revenge, because it took me ages to get a passable Genesect. (In the end, I've got a Serious one with 27-ish Att/SpAtt and slightly less speed, so that'll do.)

(Only taken me, what, forty minutes...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-24 at 05:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Also: Am I the only one who finds it weird that in the new Pokemon games, the movies you star in are only a couple minutes long, and yet it becomes a billion-dollar franchise within minutes of its release? Seriously, the first movie's released, I watch it right after screening, then I head back out and it has a gross of 36 billion. I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible, much less logical.
    Well, the entire narrative of Pokestar Studios is that everything is fake and special effects, so chances are the money's fake, too.

Edit: Actually, you know what? The studio, the theater, that's all fake, too. What a twist.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-24 at 05:42 PM.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Orc in the Playground

Under the 1 trade, multi or mono type electrics only ruleset, it looks as though I am forced to use Chinchou as my starter.

Ah well, it'll be good for me to use a mon I've not before. Now to breed up an Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/???/??? Chinchou.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Well, the entire narrative of Pokestar Studios is that everything is fake and special effects, so chances are the money's fake, too.

Edit: Actually, you know what? The studio, the theater, that's all fake, too. What a twist.
    It's all a Team Rocket Plasma front!
    Last edited by ryzouken; 2012-10-24 at 07:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

ryzouken, what game are you playing? Rotom is a pretty good one.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, strange endings? Crazy. And apparently more popular than the normal one, judging by the box office numbers. Pokémon world apparently hasn't had M. Night Shyamalan pull "what a tweest!" ad infinitum.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going for the cult classic endings to get that awesome shiny star on my Pokemon. It's like being shiny...but better!
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Orc in the Playground

ryzouken, what game are you playing? Rotom is a pretty good one.
    It'll be White 2, which is why I have to start with Chinchou. It's the only electric type in Gen V that learns surf, which you need to reach the E4, and you cannot catch it normally due to Game Freak being silly and putting the fishing rod in the post game along with breeding. So my choices are use Chinchou/Lanturn or don't Surf till post E4.