New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    What is this and how?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Battle Tower-like place in Black City/White Tower- if you beat it and go visit Alder, you will be given the Gible/Dratini.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    *explanations*
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

It gets weird if you tend to use the same name for all your characters (like I do... gender-neutral nicknames can be handy at times), since they'll be talking about (for example) "Bob" to "Bob" without any identifiers.
    So I either need a new name for my character or deal with people refering to the other Diego.

If you have the code for one of the previous games' Game Sync, you can input that to pull the Memory Link data off of the internet.
    Neat.

Not so fast! Both Black 2 and White 2 have revamped their version-exclusive areas!

Instead of what exists in the originals, Versions 2 have more similar areas. Black 2 has the Black Tower and White 2 has the White Treehollow, which each have gauntlets of trainers and a certain someone's younger relative waiting at the end. The surrounding areas (still called Black City/White Forest) now both have trainers who will sell things to you after you've beaten the tower once.
    Hmm. Okay, so that pushes me back towards W2. I still kinda want the hard mode from B2 though.

Hrrrrg, tricky.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Okay, that made me snicker.
    Damn you, typos, you always get me the odd time I don't double-check.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-04 at 04:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Hmm. Okay, so that pushes me back towards W2. I still kinda want the hard mode from B2 though.

Hrrrrg, tricky.
    Challenge Mode isn't that much different of an experience if you turn it on right after you unlock it yourself, and the key can be passed on if you find someone with Black 2 in your area.

Also, stupid Steelix.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-11-04 at 05:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Troll in the Playground

Challenge Mode isn't that much different of an experience if you turn it on right after you unlock it yourself, and the key can be passed on if you find someone with Black 2 in your area.

Also, stupid Steelix.
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a DS, let alone Pokemon.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

Smogon makes for some fascinating reading. And hilarious, especially when reading about the really bad Pokemon.

Might well be adding Drapion to one of my later teams, don't seem all that bad, actually.

And, after some effort, I actually caught a couple of Drapions (for the first time, didn't realise I hadn't gotten any yet), and with a rare instance of the RNG being benevolent, caught some Shroomishes after waiting for an hour or so for the DS clock to tick over midnight.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Smogon makes for some fascinating reading. And hilarious, especially when reading about the really bad Pokemon.
    Read the 4th Gen on Unown.
    EDIT: Never mind, they toned it down. Still sorta funny though.

EDIT AGAIN: Actually I sort of prefer the new one. Keeps the sarcasm, without being pointlessly crude in the hopes that nobody would notice because "really, who looks up the competitive ability of Unown?"
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-04 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1358

Metang's RU analysis is fairly amusing as well.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Metang's RU analysis is fairly amusing as well.
    Nice.

On another note, quick question:

Look at the Item analyses for Dragon Fang and Draco Plate. The former is said to be bad, even on mono-attacking sets, even to fake a Choice item. The latter is said to be good, even on non-Arceus, specifcally (in that case) to fake a Choice item.

I am confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Basically, Smogon doesn't always know what they're talking about. Outside of Arceus, Dragon Fang and Draco Plate are functionally identical. That said, reading the reviews for both items draws me to conclude that they're saying much the same thing: it can be used to bluff a Choice Specs/Band, but for general damage you're often better off with Life Orb.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-11-04 at 09:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1361

Maybe the two articles are written by different people? The information is fundamentally the same, but writers' takes on the two items are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

I like reading Farfetch'd, myself.

Poor Farfetch'd.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Does anyone have a Scyther they'd be willing to trade to me?
    Hey MF, I could trade you a Scyther pretty easy. I'd need to breed it, but that'd take little time at all. Nothing fancy as far as breeding goes, I'm afraid. I'm not set up for that yet.

In exchange, I'd wouldn't mind any pokemon that's not easy to acquire in Black or Black 2. I'm busy working at my living dex, and I've still got a good 400 pokemon to go. (Hells, I'd take a Caterpie if you can get one. Took me 15 minutes of wandering around in SS before I looked up that they're HG exclusive. =I)

EDIT: And look at that, already bred a brand new Scyther.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-11-05 at 12:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Battle Tower-like place in Black City/White Tower- if you beat it and go visit Alder, you will be given the Gible/Dratini.
    Spoiler
    Show
    so black 2 folks get Gible with rough skin? I'd much rather have the dratini...

On another note does anyone have any suggestions to replace toxicroak or jolteon on a rain team? Having two mons being vulnerable to earthquake hurts on the battle sub. Don't get me wrong, both pull their weight, but if I lose vaporeon, it's game over.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-05 at 02:27 AM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    so black 2 folks get Gible with rough skin? I'd much rather have the dratini...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The shiny gift Gible and Dratini have Sand Veil and Shed Skin, respectively.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Troll in the Playground

Soooooooo turned off from competitive battling over random matchup. Seems pretty much everyone is running full teams of abusemons. The "3v3 even though you have 6 pokemon with you" part is also incredibly frustrating - picking the "right" combination for the wrong opponents = you lose anyway. Guess I'll give PO or some other battle sim a try, since cartridge battling is practically a joke.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-11-05 at 04:44 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #1367

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Hey MF, I could trade you a Scyther pretty easy. I'd need to breed it, but that'd take little time at all. Nothing fancy as far as breeding goes, I'm afraid. I'm not set up for that yet.

In exchange, I'd wouldn't mind any pokemon that's not easy to acquire in Black or Black 2. I'm busy working at my living dex, and I've still got a good 400 pokemon to go. (Hells, I'd take a Caterpie if you can get one. Took me 15 minutes of wandering around in SS before I looked up that they're HG exclusive. =I)

EDIT: And look at that, already bred a brand new Scyther.
    Sweet!
    Are you looking for the version exclusive Pokemon in Black 2 or..?
    I'm afraid I haven't looked up anything at all for the Pokemon one can catch, other than for the post game that is.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The shiny gift Gible and Dratini have Sand Veil and Shed Skin, respectively.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh good I thought I'd be the not that great dream world ability for the Gible

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Sweet!
    Are you looking for the version exclusive Pokemon in Black 2 or..?
    I'm afraid I haven't looked up anything at all for the Pokemon one can catch, other than for the post game that is.
    *looks at OP* Hah, figures you have Black and Black 2 as well. In that case, let me give you a few options, and hopefully you can grab one of them. *nod*

Dunsparce, Swoobat, Ducklett, Tynamo, Axew, Cubchoo, Cottonee, Krokorok, Krookodile, Yamask.

Hopefully that list is varied enough that you have one.

20. - Top - End - #1370

Somehow I just crushed Cynthia on Challenge Mode... while being 15 levels behind her. Except for Latios, who was only 10 behind and didn't have Soul Dew.

This is bizarre, because I did a similar thing with Red in SS (no Latios there though).

I am poor at best on the battle subway and the PWT. I have no idea how I did it.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    I am poor at best on the battle subway and the PWT. I have no idea how I did it.
    Items. Lots of them.

22. - Top - End - #1372

On another note does anyone have any suggestions to replace toxicroak or jolteon on a rain team? Having two mons being vulnerable to earthquake hurts on the battle sub. Don't get me wrong, both pull their weight, but if I lose vaporeon, it's game over.
    Being that this is a rain dance team, I might suggest Kingdra. You'll lose electric coverage, but Water+Dragon dual stabs will hit everything in the game bar Ferrothorn and Empoleon for at least neutral damage, and Toxicroak should be able to handle both of them. It's also fast as hell when you've got rain up, and can set up with substitute+dragon dance. You can catch it off route 1 (routes 17 and 18) in rippling water, though it may take a while to find one, especially if you care about natures and can't trade between games.

Oh, and it has but one weakness, which you aren't terribly likely to encounter on the battle subway. And if you do, chances are good that outrage will outspeed and KO whatever's dishing it out.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-11-05 at 12:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Being that this is a rain dance team, I might suggest Kingdra. You'll lose electric coverage, but Water+Dragon dual stabs will hit everything in the game bar Ferrothorn and Empoleon for at least neutral damage, and Toxicroak should be able to handle both of them.
    I dunno, without Drizzle-toed and with Ferrothorn's massive bulk, it's not a gimme for Toxicroak... and if Toxicroak does get the KO, the Subway thinks a lot more highly of Psychic types than the general metagame.
    Oh, and it has but one weakness, which you aren't terribly likely to encounter on the battle subway. And if you do, chances are good that outrage will outspeed and KO whatever's dishing it out.
    It's Battle Subway. You're guaranteed to face something that counters your entire team before the 49th consecutive battle.

24. - Top - End - #1374

It's Battle Subway. You're guaranteed to face something that counters your entire team before the 49th consecutive battle.
    True. Still, having only one weakness and being able to hit that type for a crapload of damage is certainly useful in reducing the number of times that'll happen.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

True. Still, having only one weakness and being able to hit that type for a crapload of damage is certainly useful in reducing the number of times that'll happen.
    If you're allowed setup. What if the opponent leads with Salamence or Garchomp with Yache Berry?

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    *looks at OP* Hah, figures you have Black and Black 2 as well. In that case, let me give you a few options, and hopefully you can grab one of them. *nod*

Dunsparce, Swoobat, Ducklett, Tynamo, Axew, Cubchoo, Cottonee, Krokorok, Krookodile, Yamask.

Hopefully that list is varied enough that you have one.
    The funny thing is that I've caught barely any Pokemon at all this time around, unlike my run through of Black.
    I do have the Ducklett though.
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #1377

If you're allowed setup. What if the opponent leads with Salamence or Garchomp with Yache Berry?
    I would assume that he would lead with a pokemon that can set rain dance before sending out his Kingdra (I was suggesting a Substitute+Dragon Dance set, which precludes Kingdra itself from carrying the move).

Also, I assume you mean Haban Berry? With a Yache Berry, Kingdra should be able to outspeed any unboosted variant of Garchomp and 1HKO with Outrage (assuming rain). Same for Salamence at +1 or lower speed. Also, if he can get one from the Dream World, he could just give his Kingdra a Haban berry to match, especially if someone else on his team is using leftovers.

EDIT: Slight revision, but Kingdra can only OHKO Salamence when at +0 attack or higher, so you either have to already have a DD under you belt when it switches in, or switch in on it, or have a substitute up. Or hope that is has Moxie. If you don't, Salamence can destroy you with an Outrage of its own.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-11-05 at 01:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks folks.

So you can fish in rippling water? a 5% chance isn't that great and I need a swift swim one... I guess I could always catch a horsea train that and than trade with you folks, than have it traded back to me.

Edit: Also I may be able to get dream world poliwag in a couple of days, I am currently standing at about 3,500 points for that.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-05 at 01:32 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1379

Thanks folks.

So you can fish in rippling water? a 5% chance isn't that great and I need a swift swim one... I guess I could always catch a horsea train that and than trade with you folks, than have it traded back to me.
    You just have to surf over it, unless I'm mistaken. I suggest ample use of max repels.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Genesect is a completely overpowered Pokemon.
    This thing has crazy attack and special attack, which are also equal. So you can go from there into either a Special or Physical build. However, you just go into Special Build because...
    It can learn Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz
    And it gets STAB with Bug Buzz.
    Mine's currently level 70 and I'm going through Victory Road. Even Fire Types, which are 4x effective against Genesect, fall to Genesect's might no problem thanks to it's speed.
    -.-
    EDIT: Honestly, Fire types are its worst match up. However, if you substitute Flamethrower/Thunderbolt with Technoblast and give it the Douse Drive, they're no problem. Then you can easily substitute the Douse Drive for the Burn Drive or Shock Drive.
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2012-11-05 at 01:32 PM.
    Busy with Life