New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Well. I finally got around to fighting red in my soulsilver version. It was terrifying

Whose idea was it to teach three of them blizzard during a hailstorm? AAAAH!

My team:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 77 Rotom-Mow (thunder wave/discharge/shadow ball/leaf storm)
    Level 69 Infernape (close combat/strength/shadow claw/flare blitz)
    Level 69 Crobat (poison fang/fly/air slash/sludge bomb)
    Level 72 Empoleon (surf/rock smash/waterfall/avalanch)
    Level 25 Bibarel (rock climb/strength/rock smash/cut)

Even with the underleveled, badly-designed team, I still managed to win... somehow. I think critical hitting with a leaf storm on the Blastoise helped.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Who has two thumbs and just beat Cynthia with no losses. This guy

Biggest close call. Tesla my Luxray getting Mirror coated to 4 Hp out of 208.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

So...Umbreon? Umbreon in Nuzlocke is AMAZING. Literally cannot die against most of the Pokemon League. Holy crap.

In other news, I defeated the Pokemon League in my Heartgold Nuzlocke Run. Finally. Now to see if I pick up anything decent in Kanto.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    So...Umbreon? Umbreon in Nuzlocke is AMAZING. Literally cannot die against most of the Pokemon League. Holy crap.

In other news, I defeated the Pokemon League in my Heartgold Nuzlocke Run. Finally. Now to see if I pick up anything decent in Kanto.
    What about Houndour?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

It's a Nuzlocke, so I am dependent on fate to determine what I actually pick up a lot of the time. It's also Heartgold, so anything I pick up will have to be incredibly good or something bad would have to happen for me to use it. If possible, I don't want to have to double-up on types too much. I'm already using two Water-types (mostly for ease of travel).

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

He means "what about Houndour" as in "how did you handle him" though I think he meant Houndoom

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Houndoom got swept by Heracross. In other news, X-items are kind of ridiculous.

I assumed that wasn't what he meant because he said Houndour not Houndoom. Houndoom isn't particularly problematic.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-08-05 at 12:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

No I meant a suggestion to use Houndour. I just love Houndoom and don't get much chances to use them.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Well, through Rules Abuse I am now pretty much certain to have a Houndour. The issue is, of course, that I don't really need it because my current team covers the bases that need to be covered. Fire isn't an especially necessary type in this game, though it is good and effective. Houndoom is just not bulky enough for me.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Hey you guys know what would be fun?

ROUND 2 OF BOJO'S COMMUNITY TEAM CHALLENGE!

How it works for those who forgot: the first 7 Pokemon posted by the forum will make a team and one alternate. I will then use this team for the next month on PO (30 days)

The only rules are: 1) no ubers 2) must be fully evolved

You have 3 days to give me a Pokemon, and should you desire, movesets, natures, ev/iv s and items.

Since I have a YouTube channel now, I can actually upload the battles instead of a long winded, yet admittedly fun play by play.

I put my fate in your hands
    Pretty sure I've only counted 6, so for the 7th, I vote Deino. He's such a cute little bugger!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Must be fully evolved? =V

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Pretty sure I've only counted 6, so for the 7th, I vote Deino. He's such a cute little bugger!
    Deino's not fully evolved also I only counted 5, so I'll vote...

Togekiss nicknamed Kissies
    Modest nature
    Serene Grace
    252 Satt/252 Spd/6 Hp
    King's Rock

Air Slash
    Thunderwave
    Aura Sphere
    Roost
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-08-05 at 03:21 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

13. - Top - End - #163

The Blastoise should be named.

Shellthlu

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Deino's not fully evolved also I only counted 5, so I'll vote...

Togekiss nicknamed Kissies
    Modest nature
    Serene Grace
    252 Satt/252 Spd/6 Hp
    King's Rock

Air Slash
    Thunderwave
    Aura Sphere
    Roost
    Ahh, crap, I missed the fully evolved bit. Isn't Hydrogeion Uber though?(I don't actually know if it is or not). If he isn't Uber, go with him! If he is Uber, go with the metallic ant that's in the same area you can find Deino! I like those ants :)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Ahh, crap, I missed the fully evolved bit. Isn't Hydrogeion Uber though?(I don't actually know if it is or not). If he isn't Uber, go with him! If he is Uber, go with the metallic ant that's in the same area you can find Deino! I like those ants :)
    Durant! Yeah, they're awesome.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Usually I name Pokemon after the poster who suggested it, but I can make an exception for Shellthulu

So here is the team:
    Forrestfire - Crustle
    Illven - Blastoise
    Aotrs Commander - Rapidash
    Qwertystop - Stunfisk
    Derjuin - Togekiss
    NineThePuma - Pinsir
    Othesemo - Galvantula

Lots of Bug types, this should be intersting
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Usually I name Pokemon after the poster who suggested it, but I can make an exception for Shellthulu

So here is the team:
    Forrestfire - Crustle
    Illven - Blastoise
    Aotrs Commander - Rapidash
    Qwertystop - Stunfisk
    Derjuin - Togekiss
    NineThePuma - Pinsir
    Othesemo - Galvantula

Lots of Bug types, this should be intersting
    Which makes Shellthulu necessary to protect against Fire types.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anybody know why the GTS allows people to ask for impossible pokemon? Ergh.

I'm trying to find something for my dex, and all I get are offers for "Level 9 or lower Reshiram" or something of that sort. Do they do it just to clog up the GTS?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Does anybody know why the GTS allows people to ask for impossible pokemon? Ergh.

I'm trying to find something for my dex, and all I get are offers for "Level 9 or lower Reshiram" or something of that sort. Do they do it just to clog up the GTS?
    I've found the best way to use the GTS is to put up your own Pokemon and ask for what you want, at any level or gender. Someone will trade for just about anything. I've gotten rid of several Frillish, Muuna, and Timbur this way.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Durant! Yeah, they're awesome.
    Incidently, does anybody know what possessed them to give Durant Truant as their hidden ability? While many of the hidden abilities are pretty pants compared to the normal ones (unnerve on houndour?!), I've not seen any others that so actively cripple the Pokemon for no readily definable reason. Is there, like, some clever hidden advantage to that, or is it just an exercise is sheer idiocy...?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we could look up the two abilities that have numbers that are within one digit differention and see if any of THOSE abilities are more useful.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

They do learn Entrainment. Baton Pass'd Mean Look + Durant with Truant/Entrainment is rough when you're not expecting it.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    They do learn Entrainment. Baton Pass'd Mean Look + Durant with Truant/Entrainment is rough when you're not expecting it.
    Ah, yes, that does make some sense. I thought there must be something to it...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Alrighty then. Now that I've beaten Red, gotten Latios, Latias (had an Enigma stone just sitting in the cartridge...), Groudon, a Kanto and Hoenn starter (Bulbasaur and Mudkip, respectively), and I'm heading over to catch Zapdos (the last of the birds).

Is there anything else important I should do before I begin transferring up the last few batches of pokemon from this game? I plan on resetting my Soul Silver afterwards and starting my first Nuzlocke challenge.

EDIT: I should probably go get mewtwo, too...

25. - Top - End - #175

and starting my first Nuzlocke challenge.
    Way to go!

Just remember Easy mode (somewhat) is Cyndaquil, Medium is Totadile, and hard is Chikorhita

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally got Ho-Oh and Mewtwo caught. I think I used like 150 ultra balls between the two.

Also, I need the Totodile line for my White version pokedex, and Totodile is my favorite of the three, so I'm going with that. Any ideas on nicknames?

EDIT: I feel like I'm spamming a bit, and if I am, let me know and I can stop, but does anyone have a Lapras or a Charmander for trade? These two are the last holes in my Kanto dex XD

EDIT2: I now have a Lonely Totodile named Delta. On to the rest of the game!

Update: I've already managed to lose one. A trainer's Nidoran got double crits with a double kick on my Rattatta . RIP Perkins the Rattata.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Oh ye gods. That was dull...

My niece left her DS here overnight again, so between wargames, I borrowed it to do some fiddling. I did some trading in Gen IV, then gened up about fifty Pokemon to my Black game. Which, as I've this time set up the boxes (bar the two that leaves over) in national dex order to be filled, enabled me to fill box 331-360 completely (that one, more by chance than design,, was closest to being filled, so I've made a concerted effort to fill that and box 300-330 (which is now only two Pokemon off).)

Then I had to catch thirty Pokemon in my White (well, 28, since I was transferring two across), and then traded thirty Pokemon between Black and White (thank frack it lets you trade box to box in Gen V!) Which took forever.

But at least now it's done, the trash Pokemon have been released (up until now, I can count of the fingers of one hand the number of Pokemon I've gotten permenantly rid of in the last three generations), and I have an empty box in my Black, which gives me a bit of breathing room. (Even my "spare" capture box was starting to get full...) One more go another time should clear me another box, which I'll probably designate for alternate forms.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Future-compatibility would make it pretty annoying to keep a blacklist. They probably don't know all of the pokemon they plan to give away right at the moment they release the original game.

For some pokemon, it's for the trade evolution glitch where if you put a pokemon up for trade, then do a regular trade, and withrdraw your pokemon, it'll evolve as if it was traded. But mostly, yes, trollers gotta troll.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

29. - Top - End - #179

Update: I've already managed to lose one. A trainer's Nidoran got double crits with a double kick on my Rattatta . RIP Perkins the Rattata.
    Quickly tell us the starting level and death level.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Update on the Nuzlocke: I am currently in Ecruteak City, and I have defeated my rival in the Burned Tower, but not challenged the gym yet.

Whitney's gym in Goldenrod was a nightmare. It wasn't able to completely kill any of my pokemon, but it took me a long time to defeat it, since I had to get rid of all its Attract PP before I could paraflinch it to death with my Togepi (headbutt is awesome).

Team:
    Spoiler
    Show

Delta the Totodile: "Delta" as in "River Delta." He has been fairly useful, but not a star member of the team. I send him out when I need good neutral coverage or against pokemon that can deal with my geodude.
    Currently level 21.

Sio the Geodude: "Sio" for the chemical formula of quartz SiO4. My MVP of this playthrough so far. He solo'd the first two gyms, and helped a lot in the third (tanked miltank like a boss).
    Obtained at level 3, and currently level 23.

Dream the Flaafy: Dream the electric sheep has been useful for catching more, and is also a good pokemon for non-gym trainer battles so far. Thundershock has great neutral coverage against a lot of the early-game trainers.
    Obtained at level 6, and currently level 23.

Cacon the Togetic: Named from the chemical formula for Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) My other MVP on the team. He hatched early on and I taught him headbutt in Ilex Forest. I usually combo him with my Flaafy's thunder wave to flinch the difficult enemies to death.
    Obtained at level 5, and currently level 23.

Edgar the Nidorino: I caught him after I beat Whitney's gym. He is currently unproven in any real battles, but I plan on using him as a mixed attacker with TM moves since he is modest nature...
    Obtained at level 12, and currently level 19.

Kumo the Vulpix: Just caught him in the burned tower, and I'm currently training him to be on par with the rest of the team.
    Obtained at level 14, and currently level 15.

Deceased:
    Spoiler
    Show

Perkins the Rattata: He was great in sprout tower, but he was tragically killed by a double-critting double kick by a trainer's Nidoran.
    Obtained at level 5, deceased at level 12. RIP.

Belle the Bellsprout: I taught her flash to look around the dark cave, but she was poisoned by a weedle in training and fell to the poison on my sprint to the pokemon center.
    Obtained at level 3, deceased at level 4. RIP.

Chase the Ekans: Caught because I needed something to deal with Silver's Bayleaf before I fought him in Azalea. He was killed by a pidgey because I was overconfident in his ability to live through a critical hit.
    Obtained at level 5, deceased at level 7. RIP.

Kumo the Vulpix: Critically stomped on by a wild stantler.
    Obtained at level 14, deceased at level 15. RIP.

EDIT: Well crap. Kumo the Vulpix, we hardly knew ye.