New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXV

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Rules question, a loose reading of the Spontaneous cure/inflict ability:

could be applied to other spellcasting than Death Delver?
    good catch!

wonder what the ruling's gonna be
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Due to poor wording, I'd say it works. It may be considered less than Elegant by a strict judge, though.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an interesting ability to be sure. Spontaneous casting of any cure spell of that level or lower... but they have no Cure spells on their spell list. So does that mean they can spontaneously cast cure spells from other classes' lists?

Oh, and I'm in as a judge this time around. I snuck out of last round with an award, I should be a good netizen and judge this time. Criteria to be copied in shortly...
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

From HoH:
    Spontaneous Casting: By 2nd level, your familiarity with the ebb and flow of death has blossomed to the point that, like a cleric, you can lose any prepared spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same level or lower. An evil death delver can only spontaneously convert prepared spells into inflict spells of equal level or lower. Neutral death delvers must choose whether they will cast spontaneous cure or inflict spells and can never change their selection once the choice has been made.
    From SRD:
    A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric of an evil deity), can’t convert prepared spells to cure spells but can convert them to inflict spells (an inflict spell is one with "inflict" in its name).

A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (player’s choice). Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed.
    I take this to mean that you can lose ANY prepared spell to spontaneously cast one that has 'cure' in the name, or 'inflict' of equal or lesser level. If only that would make them Arcane spells so you could go Ultimate Magus, instead of just granting access to Mystic Theurge.
    Last edited by Tim Proctor; 2012-07-15 at 08:43 PM. Reason: due to typo, that misrepresented intent of post
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Proctor View Post
    I take this to mean that you can lose ANY prepared spell to cast a spell that has 'cure' in the name, or 'inflict' of equal or lesser level. If only that would make them Arcane spells so you could go Ultimate Magus, instead of just granting access to Mystic Theurge.
    Correction underlined.

The Spontaneous Casting ability directly references that of a Cleric, which can turn any spell it has prepared for the day into the equivalent Cure X Wounds spell of that level. Thus, if you sacrifice a 1st level spell, you can cast Cure Light Wounds (if manipulating positive energy) or Inflict Light Wounds (if manipulating negative energy). The only caveat is that you can use this ability regardless of what type of energy you manipulate, whether positive or negative.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Correction underlined.

The Spontaneous Casting ability directly references that of a Cleric, which can turn any spell it has prepared for the day into the equivalent Cure X Wounds spell of that level. Thus, if you sacrifice a 1st level spell, you can cast Cure Light Wounds (if manipulating positive energy) or Inflict Light Wounds (if manipulating negative energy). The only caveat is that you can use this ability regardless of what type of energy you manipulate, whether positive or negative.
    Yeah, that was a typo.

My rules lawyer friend brings up a point regarding the SRD and their definition of Cure spells. Leomund's Secure Shelter, Obscure Object, and Secure Corpse technically have "Cure" in the name. I don't buy that aspect of it, if that is what people are going for.
    Last edited by Tim Proctor; 2012-07-15 at 08:46 PM.

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

My rules lawyer friend brings up a point regarding the SRD and their definition of Cure spells. Leomund's Secure Shelter, Obscure Object, and Secure Corpse technically have "Cure" in the name. I don't buy that aspect of it, if that is what people are going for.
    I have never actually heard that brought up before. Interesting....

Thanks for the knowledge
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

In the challenge i first appeared in the drow judicator everyone was deducted points for not having pounce...Even if the build did not need it or work on that line. Even my build was not exempt from this and it was a charger build. But i will change that if wanted.

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    In the challenge i first appeared in the drow judicator everyone was deducted points for not having pounce...Even if the build did not need it or work on that line. Even my build was not exempt from this and it was a charger build. But i will change that if wanted.
    This appears to be answering a separate issue than the one regarding why Originality AND Elegance would receive a penalty based on other contestants having a similar concept.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    This appears to be answering a separate issue than the one regarding why Originality AND Elegance would receive a penalty based on other contestants having a similar concept.
    I believe he's saying that everyone who didn't get pounce was deducted points, and he believes that was because it was used multiple times.

However, that shouldn't be an elegance thing, that is originality/power aspect.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe he's saying that everyone who didn't get pounce was deducted points, and he believes that was because it was used multiple times.

However, that shouldn't be an elegance thing, that is originality/power aspect.
    Agreed - unless Pounce is a core part of a build (like, multiple attacks per round set up specific class features, class features only work on a charge, etc), it's probably just a straight power boost. I didn't submit an entry in that competition due to real life issues, so I don't know what specifically is being referred to.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    I just double checked, and only 1 judge (Xodion) deducted points for a build lacking Pounce.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

At the end of the day, the only real constant is that judges will judge each criteria by their own definition and standards. IMHO, it's best not to try and "play the judges", and instead just go with your gut on what is an Original, Elegant, Powerful build that uses the Special Ingredient well.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Due to poor wording, I'd say it works. It may be considered less than Elegant by a strict judge, though.
    It probably bears mention that, since it specifies prepared spells, you couldn't use it to switch up spells from a spontaneous casting class.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    At the end of the day, the only real constant is that judges will judge each criteria by their own definition and standards. IMHO, it's best not to try and "play the judges", and instead just go with your gut on what is an Original, Elegant, Powerful build that uses the Special Ingredient well.
    Indeed, but I also feel it helps to avoid disputes on the back end if we have up-front clarity about the judge's criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, that was a typo.

hahaha.. That was the first thing that i was thinking about as well
    No spoilers in this signature.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Aha! It's...underwhelming, but whatever. An idea appears!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a pair of ideas bouncing about. One's got better fluff, but the other's a more cohesive build.

To be perfectly honest, I simply read through the judge's criteria once, then ignore it. I make sure to include everything I want to include, and that's it, really.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Its difficult to blend with this PrC. Many of the abilities are unique and don't have obvious synergy with anything. Most of all, I'm having difficulty making a build that wouldn't be better off with a different PrC.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Its difficult to blend with this PrC. Many of the abilities are unique and don't have obvious synergy with anything. Most of all, I'm having difficulty making a build that wouldn't be better off with a different PrC.
    I'm having problems coming up with something that couldn't be replicated with a few base classes .

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    I'm having problems coming up with something that couldn't be replicated with a few base classes .
    I know. While the class is easy to enter, only the capstone is really unique.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I just double checked, and only 1 judge (Xodion) deducted points for a build lacking Pounce.
    I think the way I did it was deduct the points for not having it, and award some back based on how much they could cope without it, so more melee focused builds without any other options lost more. It was also indeed in the Power category and not Originality or Elegance, so I'm not sure why it is relevant here.
    DM: You exit the temple. Cleric, roll a knowledge(religion) check...
    Cleric: *passes* "Ah yes, now I recognise it, it was a temple to the god of traps!"
    Thief: *punches Cleric*

Iron Chef Contest Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC XVII: Snow (Silver)
    IC XX: Sir Karel (Bronze)
    IC XXXII: 'Aundair' Yannedge-Owens (Gold)
    IC XXXII: Sir Arminel Rayne (Bronze)
    IC XXXIX: Hardy (Bronze)

22. - Top - End - #52

Death Delver... 9 dead class levels and 1 that kicks it back alive.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

It's a bit like the Monk of PrCs - it gets quite a few random abilities and small bonuses over the ten levels, but most don't really interconnect or do that much...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Death Delver... 9 dead class levels and 1 that kicks it back alive.
    Immunity to fear is not bad. If your build gets it three times you unlock a special dragon-slaying legacy item, right?

... ... No? Oh well, back to trying to find synergy without too much overlap, then.

25. - Top - End - #55

Wait, what? The uber item doesn't exist? I went Fear Immunity giving class/ Death Delver/ Fear Immunity giving class, I guess I have to put that homemade artifact that I was using to complete my build back before I submit.
    Last edited by Tim Proctor; 2012-07-17 at 10:10 AM.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what? The uber item doesn't exist? I went XXXX/ XXXXX/ XXXXX, I guess I have to put that homemade artifact that I was using to complete my build back before I submit.
    I know this was a joke comment, but please refrain from speculating on potential builds. Thank you
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Well I'll be darned... I think I actually just found a pretty cool trick to use with this class! It's not the most earth-shattering thing in existence, but it's pretty solid and explicitly takes advantage of Death Delver's class features. Curious is anyone else will have grabbed it!

Now, the real question is how to best use it. I've got two potential builds in mind, both with their own strengths and weaknesses, and both going in very different directions - but they also would both benefit from this trick. Hmm....
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Well I'll be darned... I think I actually just found a pretty cool trick to use with this class! It's not the most earth-shattering thing in existence, but it's pretty solid and explicitly takes advantage of Death Delver's class features. Curious is anyone else will have grabbed it!

Now, the real question is how to best use it. I've got two potential builds in mind, both with their own strengths and weaknesses, and both going in very different directions - but they also would both benefit from this trick. Hmm....
    So did I! I hope it isn't the same for two reasons:
    1. So we don't get deducted
    2. So that after the contest is over, people will know multiple tricks for the Monk of PrCs
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

well good luck competitors. I'm sure one of you will make the build i just made in like three minutes, but if you do i will b highly surprised saying it is way out in left field.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

We're getting closer...

I'm getting nervous!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~