New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Green Lantern: The Animated Series

I just finished watching the last episode of season 1, and I'm pretty impressed. I was kind of skeptical at first, although I always liked the Green Lantern's concept, previous adaptations have always left much to be desired in my opinion. This... This was pretty darn awesome.

Anyone else here watch it?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-15 at 02:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Well it has my all time favorite Geoff Johns creation Saint Walker. So it has that going for it.

All will be well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I've seen bits. I'm not really a fan. There's nothing really wrong with it I can say...I just can't get past the art. To me, if you're going to go computer animation, do something with a lot more detail and texture. Though that's just me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I've seen bits. I'm not really a fan. There's nothing really wrong with it I can say...I just can't get past the art. To me, if you're going to go computer animation, do something with a lot more detail and texture. Though that's just me.
    By computer animation, do you specifically mean 3D computer animation?

I had a similar issue to begin with. I don't mind cartoon-ish/simplistic 3D animation, but the more familiar organic designs (such as humans, rocks, Earth etc) didn't look very appealing. I kind of got over it once I realised that the majority of the show takes place on alien worlds and in spaceships.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-15 at 06:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

I had a similar issue to begin with. I don't mind cartoon-ish/simplistic 3D animation, but the more familiar organic designs (such as humans, rocks, Earth etc) didn't look very appealing. I kind of got over it once I realised that the majority of the show takes place on alien worlds and in spaceships.
    Art style took getting used to for me. But it ended up growing on me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I as well. I actually enjoy the 3d-cartoony look. At times, it feels like lower-budget Pixar.

Anyway, with season two coming, check out who's coming to town...

Spoiler
    Show
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Art style took getting used to for me. But it ended up growing on me.
    I'm in a similar boat there. I still wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the art style, but it doesn't detract from the show for me.

I saw most of the first story arc - missed one episode in the middle, which I have unfortunately been unable to locate online. (Cartoon Network's site won't let me watch it there as they only offer that to people with certain cable companies, and mine is not among them.) I've largely enjoyed it, particularly the interplay between Hal and Kilowog. A few criticisms:

- The Red Lanterns really seem more like the Sinestro Corps than the actual Red Lanterns here. Yes, I know they couldn't use the actual Red Lanterns because they can't have that kind of ultra-violence in a kids' show, but it's jarring to me as a fan of the comics. Especially since it extends to Atrocitus' character. And appearance. Really, I just wonder why they didn't use the Sinestro Corps instead.
    - The Star Sapphire episode in general. That one just didn't make sense in a lot of ways, and was outright face-palm-inducing at times.
    - The finale of the first story arc was very sudden. I don't understand why it came at only thirteen episodes into the series.
    - Where did Saint Walker's blue ring come from? Him being able to help was an important part of the finale, but it's kind of undermined by the blue ring coming off as a deus-ex-machina since it just shows up to him out of the blue with no explanation for its origin. Yes, I'm guessing Ganthet probably made it just like in the comics, but I only know that because I read the comics.
    - Speaking of, Ganthet's exile didn't get followed up on at all in that first story arc. I guess they'll probably touch on it in the second, but considering the whole blue ring thing, it seems like it should have been followed up on in the first.

Beyond that, I've been fairly satisfied. It's not great, but it's enjoyable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeeeesss!

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I'm in a similar boat there. I still wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the art style, but it doesn't detract from the show for me.

I saw most of the first story arc - missed one episode in the middle, which I have unfortunately been unable to locate online. (Cartoon Network's site won't let me watch it there as they only offer that to people with certain cable companies, and mine is not among them.) I've largely enjoyed it, particularly the interplay between Hal and Kilowog. A few criticisms:
    TV Links can help you there. I've watched them all online, as it doesn't air in the UK (you know, like EVERYTHING ELSE. )

- Where did Saint Walker's blue ring come from? Him being able to help was an important part of the finale, but it's kind of undermined by the blue ring coming off as a deus-ex-machina since it just shows up to him out of the blue with no explanation for its origin. Yes, I'm guessing Ganthet probably made it just like in the comics, but I only know that because I read the comics.
    I kind of felt that at first as well. In fact, there was a lot of weird things about that episode. (seriously, the planet just got up and MOVED?? And how did Aya cry? Is that even possible? ;_;)
    I'm pretty sure that they'll explain the whole "emotion spectrum" thing at some point. I guess they just couldn't really fit that in to the first season.

Also, season 2 spoilers.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-16 at 05:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

You may have missed an episode but Ganthet on the show actually spoke with the other guardians about building the Blue lantern and ring. It was part of the reason for the exile. And He sends the Lantern out with Sayd's help.

And Mogo's always been able to move.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I as well. I actually enjoy the 3d-cartoony look. At times, it feels like lower-budget Pixar.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then the show's existence was justified.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I kind of felt that at first as well. In fact, there was a lot of weird things about that episode. (seriously, the planet just got up and MOVED?? And how did Aya cry? Is that even possible? ;_;)
    As Devonix said, Mogo has always been able to move. I don't know if that's normal for him or if it's just because of his Green Lantern ring, but the latter alone would be enough to explain it even if the former isn't the case, since GL rings enabling their bearers to fly through space, even at FTL speeds, is one of their normal powers.

You may have missed an episode but Ganthet on the show actually spoke with the other guardians about building the Blue lantern and ring. It was part of the reason for the exile. And He sends the Lantern out with Sayd's help.
    Must have been in the episode I missed, then. It was entitled "Fear Itself," I believe, if that helps.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-07-16 at 09:18 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As Devonix said, Mogo has always been able to move. I don't know if that's normal for him or if it's just because of his Green Lantern ring, but the latter alone would be enough to explain it even if the former isn't the case, since GL rings enabling their bearers to fly through space, even at FTL speeds, is one of their normal powers.

Must have been in the episode I missed, then. It was entitled "Fear Itself," I believe, if that helps.

Zevox
    The episode was "Regime Change", which you might have saw if you saw Ganthet's exile...

Spoiler
    Show

Namely in the meeting with the guardians they spoke of Ganthet's experimenetion with "hope" and the blue energy and even mentioned he left a secret weapon on the interceptor. He activated it after sayd pulled him back from exile; hal's green lantern turned blue and gave off the blue energy that saved the crew from the reds... the blue lantern then left the ship and floated off into space

Next episode Hal mentions that his lantern is missing and the next time we see the blue lantern was when Saint walker became the blue lantern.

And speaking of saint walker, i am reminded me on one nit pick I had with Mogo... namely i think i would have very much prefered if Mogo never spoke and instead just used actions to "speak"; i just htink it would have given the living planet more weight and mystery
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-07-16 at 09:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Love this show. Razer and Aya probably rank higher on my list than some longtime comic characters(though they still barely make my top 10 non human lanterns, if at all).

The only thing I really don't like is how little showtime the other green lanterns have gotten. I mean Salaak got like ...ten seconds and nobody but Kilowog or Hal have gotten much time. I'd love to see Arisa or Tomar-Re sometime in the coming episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    The episode was "Regime Change", which you might have saw if you saw Ganthet's exile...

Spoiler
    Show

Namely in the meeting with the guardians they spoke of Ganthet's experimenetion with "hope" and the blue energy and even mentioned he left a secret weapon on the interceptor. He activated it after sayd pulled him back from exile; hal's green lantern turned blue and gave off the blue energy that saved the crew from the reds... the blue lantern then left the ship and floated off into space

Next episode Hal mentions that his lantern is missing and the next time we see the blue lantern was when Saint walker became the blue lantern.
    Huh. I remember the mention of Ganthet experimenting with "hope," but I don't remember anything more concrete than that. Oddly, I seem to have somehow missed the parts with the actual blue lantern. I wonder how that happened?

Zevox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I don't know. Maybe at some point I'll give it a try. I just hate how there are almost no traditional hand drawn films any more and now it seems 3D animation is invading TV shows as well. I wouldn't be so much against it if there was a little more detail and texture in the shows (thought making a show with this is probably very difficult and adding more detail would be hard). One of the reason I never gave that Clone Wars cartoon a shot.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know. Maybe at some point I'll give it a try. I just hate how there are almost no traditional hand drawn films any more and now it seems 3D animation is invading TV shows as well. I wouldn't be so much against it if there was a little more detail and texture in the shows (thought making a show with this is probably very difficult and adding more detail would be hard). One of the reason I never gave that Clone Wars cartoon a shot.
    “You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.” -- Don Hertzfeldt
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

And Mogo's always been able to move.
    I've seen all the episodes... but I don't actually remember this. Huh.

I was actually thinking about the entire echo system on the planet being completely destroyed if it just got up and moved, but I'll allow super-hero physics to brush that off.

Speaking as 2D animation student, I feel your pain. However, most CG 2D animation (which is pretty much everything now) isn't entirely different to the older traditional stuff. You're still drawing in the frames, only now you're doing it with a graphics tablet and computer screen instead of a pencil and lightbox. Unless you're doing something like symbol animation (which is a great technique if you use it well), the process is pretty much the same, only a little less time consuming as you don't have to keep a dope sheet or put all the cells through an animation camera after you've drawn them. As for 3D animation, I don't have an issue with it as such. It has pretty much taken over the animated film industry (even Disney have completely stopped making 2D animated films now), which is very sad to see, but there's still a lot of cartoons on TV floating about. In fact, they seem to be really coming back after that weird pseudo-sitcom era we had with Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody and all the likes.
    My only issue with 3D is when they use it in a 2D film as a shortcut if something is too hard to animate in 2D. That's not to say I don't like a combination of 2D and 3D in something, as long as it's done for artistic reasons, rather then convenience. The Tron: Uprising TV series, for example, does it fantastically.

But, as I said, I do understand where you're coming from. I think I'm one of the only people that isn't completely in love with everything Pixar produce.

When it comes down to it though, it's about the story, not the technology.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-17 at 04:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I've only seen part of the pilot episode sonI can't contribute much to the discussion; but I remember reading somewhete that they used the Red Lantern corps instead if the Sinestro corps due the movie or something like that.

Sp should I look for the series? Are they good enough to make the effort to google where to stream them?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I just saw the footage from SDCC.

Guy Gardner is channeling Booster Gold pretty hard, and is AWESOME, Ch'p is amazing, and we get to see Tomar-Re do things and be cool.

I am satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I was actually thinking about the entire echo system on the planet being completely destroyed if it just got up and moved, but I'll allow super-hero physics to brush that off.
    Mogo seems to have some practically magical control over his ecosystem even before you bring his abilities as a Lantern into it, so that may not be all that normal to begin with.

Zevox

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not going to lie I'm going to search for this series just to see the other corps animated "Darkest Night" was the only GL saga which caught my attention, I hope they can fit as many as possible in the series.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I want them to manage to fit as much of the GL mythos as they can. I want this to be just like the previous DC animated series for Superman and Batman where it goes for a long time and has lots of good episodes. I am so hopeful for this series I might just become a Blue Lantern

But the number one thing I want is for them to find some way, in like big fight scenes or something, to characterize specific Lanterns. I mean, my favorites are the buzzfly that uses giant constructs, the sentient smallpox, the sentient math equation and the collective hive.
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    And speaking of saint walker, i am reminded me on one nit pick I had with Mogo... namely i think i would have very much prefered if Mogo never spoke and instead just used actions to "speak"; i just htink it would have given the living planet more weight and mystery
    I am now imagining Mogo using "hand gestures" as he speaks. He is a very emotive person, like a stereotypical Italian-American Guido/Mobster.

Think about it as if Mogo is using actions but the ring is translating.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-07-21 at 05:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'll just leave this here.

Spoiler
    Show

Mogo seems to have some practically magical control over his ecosystem even before you bring his abilities as a Lantern into it, so that may not be all that normal to begin with.

Zevox
    e________e

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

What's the context of that?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    I want them to manage to fit as much of the GL mythos as they can. I want this to be just like the previous DC animated series for Superman and Batman where it goes for a long time and has lots of good episodes. I am so hopeful for this series I might just become a Blue Lantern

But the number one thing I want is for them to find some way, in like big fight scenes or something, to characterize specific Lanterns. I mean, my favorites are the buzzfly that uses giant constructs, the sentient smallpox, the sentient math equation and the collective hive.

I am now imagining Mogo using "hand gestures" as he speaks. He is a very emotive person, like a stereotypical Italian-American Guido/Mobster.

Think about it as if Mogo is using actions but the ring is translating.

I MISS BZZT

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    “You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.” -- Don Hertzfeldt
    I failed to find it in a youtube\google search, but I'd *swear* I've seen that cartoon...
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    I failed to find it in a youtube\google search, but I'd *swear* I've seen that cartoon...
    I know of a very similar cartoon.
    A novella, which has been adapted in other media, also sounds quite close to what you had in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    What's the context of that?
    The scene where the Star Sapphires send him back to Aya using his love for her.
    When she asks how he got back, he's just says "It does not matter".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the first part of the first episode.
    CGI is pretty crude, but it mostly works.
    The Red Lanterns well intentioned extremism feels a little confused. Sometimes, they prance around like card carrying villains, and other times, they feel like they actually have a point and they truly feel their cause is just.
    I was willing to be a little teary eyed by the sacrifice made.
    We did get to know him a little and that added to it significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I know of a very similar cartoon.
    A novella, which has been adapted in other media, also sounds quite close to what you had in mind.
    Thanks, I knew I'd seen something extremely similar.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)