New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Broken City

To Blackjack Boys [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Good evening, Sir. It is a pleasure to finallyeet you in person. Now, to buisness."
    "My men recently intercepted a letter from the Librarian if the Elements to the Mages Ubiquitous. I think I will let it's contents speak for themselves."

The presence of the Blackjack Boys within Redress Street is rumored to be a rather great hindrance to you. Furthermore, it would seem that another faction is seeking to gain influence with them by providing advanced weaponry.

Since previous attempts at subtlety within this city have found deaf ears, I'll make my offer a tad blunt. I will remove the Blackjack Boys from existence, and give you control of the neighborhood. In exchange, you will govern the neighborhood in my name, and support me in my efforts to take control of this city.

This is your chance to gain a foothold within the city. Whether you take it or not is up to you.
    "As you can see, this is a serious threat to you and to the stability of the city. As the MU's presence in the city would be disasterous, and this person clearly states that they plan to take the city- this is clear from theif actions of late as well. As this is a severe threat to the city, I will fully support you in defending this area- both monetarily, with militairy force supplied by our personal guards, and with further such information."

"As you can see, it will be vital to be able to communicate without fear of being magically spied upon by either of the two high-magic groups, so that which I mentioned in my letter has become important more now than ever."

Bennet Founder was mildly annoyed when he realized that the man he'd mistaken for O'Vail was in fact an entirely different person who merely looked remarkably similar to him from behind. After apoligising, he resumed scanning the crowd.

OOC: grimsage: did you miss my message to you?
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Seeing Bennet Founder, Matt Rosen came over to him.

"Mr. Founder, nice to meet you. At this time, our Airships are just Balloons. They've still got a ways to go. We can talk about it, but we're making no promises."
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

3. - Top - End - #243

"It is good to hear from you directly. I supose in that case, it may be better that I wait to indulge this curiosity, then- I have been quite busy of late, as I'm sure we all have. I still maintain my interest, though."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!

Image to come

Buy my music here

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

EBSA Defense 5

Meeting

The Guards are mostly cordial and polite, but absolutely steadfast to the rules and regulations. For instance, the Blackfist representatives smoke, paint, and stink bombs are confiscated (though he is told to take a number and pick them up on the way out) despite being apparently harmless. Inside, guards dot the corridors and junctions in pairs as aides lead you to the Regency Conference Room, deep inside the Halls, quickly marching them through the maze of halls- not pausing long enough for the delegates to get their bearings.

The Regency Room itself is beautiful, with a gigantically massive oaken table- a relic from the cities more affluent days, with dozen's of chairs and enough space for the guards to stand behind their respective charges. Sitting at the head of the table, in the EBSA's traditional seat (allowing for better mediation) is the grey haired Dekan O'Vail, force of personality easily apparent by his easy stance.

"Delegates. Please sit"
    he smiles and gestures to the chairs "There is no seats of honor, no special places. In this room we are all equals, and our opinions have every right to be heard. We are here to discuss the future of our cities government- what path we choose. We shall not leave here until a consensus towards a new system is decided upon by a majority of the powerful factions in the city. Who wishes to start the discussion?"

Wardens of Truth and Justice
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough, though we would at least accept your representative.

Lord Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show
    We accept your offer of soldiers to help protect the game.

(You will probably need to add it into your EoT)

Transcript from Anala Weaver's Press Briefing

Do upper members of the EBSA staff eat human flesh while performing dark bestiality filled rituals? I don't know who your source is, but whoever it is obviously thinks our workplace is far more interesting than it is. To make clear, to our knowledge, we have no cannibals working for the EBSA, let alone evil ritualistic sociopaths. Next Question...
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Meeting

"Now, I'm not a bigwig, or a mover and shaker. But the Technists guild feels that something must be put forward. We can't let personal feelings into choosing a governing body. Or more accuratly, we have to reach a comprimise, and not go in thinking, how can we get as much power for our fraction as possible? Checks and balances. You people know more about 'em, and I sugesst we use 'em."

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

EBSA ESP Def 5

Meeting

Dekan nods sagely as the Technist speaks "I couldn't agree more. I was told by my predecessor that a good compromise is built with everyone coming away not fully satisfied- thus proving that they didn't just get everything they wanted. Now I know there are those who support a democratically elected government- which the EBSA supports, as well as those who wish to reestablish a Monarchy. A balance must be struck for any meaningful peace to be agree upon, and the business of governing the city and providing for its people can be taken up again by a unified body instead of disparate factions."

Church of Neposh
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand that you backed what remains of the Hearthfeather family. We mean them no harm, and wish that this could have been solved without bloodshed- but they pushed our hand when they refused peace talks. We have extended an olive branch to them, but is there any hard feelings between us?

Heathfeather Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our Greycloaks managed to protect several of your noncombatants during the fighting, and they are being held in EBSA custody. We would like to discuss their safe return to you in return for talks of a lasting peace.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Meeting

"Forgive me for puting it bluntly, but theres also the Blackfists. They want it reduced to it's most basic. Now, not saying their views are wrong. But, everyone deserves a choice. Besides, they don't want to stay in the city, we'll help 'em leave. And we have a proposal. Each district elects a representitive, and they form the legeslature. Next, we have the noble houses, who elect a set of folks to act as a review commitie. Basicly, they can sugesst changes to the documents, as well as add comentary. The king or whoever ends up in charge is responsible for then publishing the law. However, if the King wishes to Veto, he can. However, both of the lower houses can call for a General vote. And that will allow the public to vote on the law in question, after a neutral party translates it.

This sound like a good starting point?"

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

I forsee a small problem with a government elected by the people- that is, who would be canidates most likely to be chosen? Those leading the most powerful faction. In this way, whichever faction has the most persistant followers woul win out over whomever is actually more capable. This would simply grant this faction more power. No, I propose a coetocracy- a government controlled by a group of people, representing the different neighborhoods of the city.

[edit] OOC: oh, sorry grimm, didn't mean to step ob your toes there. I started this before your post. Too tired to edit now.
    Last edited by Nyrt; 2012-07-31 at 10:49 PM.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

"What the city needs right now is stability and peace. Neither of these are achievable by a government that changes often or includes much room for political jostling for position. If we choose some sort of a council out of every neighbourhood, are they really going to be able to decide on important matters quickly enough to make a difference? Or are they going to devolve into bickering amongst themselves at a moment of crisis? And will all decisions they do make be watered-down into weak compromizes that do not efficiently resolve anything?"
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Bloodheaven

Sausage Guild/GM [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

To Sausage Guild,

I have developed a formula, that can be applied to your wells to clear the contamination. It should work in 97% of the cases. Will you undertake cleansing of the drinking water in the Bunkers?

GM: The problem with foul water in the wells still persists, yes? What sort of effect does it have?

EBSA [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I’m currently negotiating cleansing of the water in the Bunkers from its state of contamination.''

''I would like to impress on the factories of the Smokeyards, that they need to improve their safety regulations. I believe that retaining experienced workers, who are currently lost to accidents, would be ultimately financially beneficial to the city’s industry and remove the cost of cripples and orphans, filling our streets. Would it be possible for EBSA to issue an official request for institution of safety regulations?''

City Chief Health Administrator,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

Technist Guild [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings to the Technist Guild,

I would like to propose a cooperative research into development of mechanical limbs, to give new life to those crippled by the machinery of the Smokeyards and many accidents happening in our city.

If you are interested, how much effort would you be willing to contribute?

Sincerely Yours,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

Lord Wallen [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

I’m greatly distraught by the events at the opening. At this time I can assume, somebody was sending me a message. While I have stayed out of politics, I can’t say the same about staying out of our city’s problems. It’s possible some deranged lunatic, didn’t like the truce I effected in the Old Jack’s Run or perhaps my speech for greater safety regulations in the Smokeyards has rattled somebody’s feathers. Then the Sausage Guild might have thought I was trying to learn their secrets. Well, I do not plan to make any accusations, without knowing the culprit for certain.

I wish I could turn to the city watch with this, but unfortunately no such organization exists. I will probably post a bounty on the head of the criminal and step up protection of my neighbourhood, with whatever muscle I have.

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

Little Zanchar Market Guard [4]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I have considered this problem. My men are needed to protect Bloodheaven Hospital, but I might find another way to see the Redcap Gang removed. What can you tell me about them, their leaders and their weaknesses? And what resources do you have to bear?''

Mercantile Guild [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I’m very grateful for your upcoming generous donation. As for the bodies, I plan to investigate the matter. Unfortunately, it appears I have already managed to make some enemies. I plan to post a bounty on the head of whoever committed this heinous crime and step up patrols around Bloodheaven.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

"It is important that the people have some say in the running of the city. We could have a coetocracy or democracy, where I serve as head of state, and retain emergency powers, to direct the government in times of crisis."

"We would be a democracy in times of peace, and a monarchy in times of war"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-08-01 at 09:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

The man with the Wren heraldry speaks up at this, his words coming softly, so that some have to strain to hear it. "I disagree. Such a system is a laudable ideal, but in practice, I believe votes would be bought, not earned. A government to unite this city must be swift, and decisive, not cautious and divided." The man in silk turns to the 'King', his eyes glinting with amusement.

"As for yourself, James, I would suggest you reduce your presumption. Perhaps your claim to rule will be recognised, perhaps not. But no King has ruled this city for many years, and you would do well to remember that. "

13. - Top - End - #253
    Colossus in the Playground

The Blackfist man knocks his stick on the ground, in a gesture akin to applause.
    "I find myself agreeing with the Wren. I don't know this boy, James. And even if he were descended from both the creator and all emperors and kings of history, so what? Why does having a famous grand-daddy mean that he deserves to rule? If the boy wants to lead people, he should give them a good reason and get to know them. Personal trust, not derived authority.
    And in the same vein: what, exactly, gives you people in here any right to determine the city's future? Doesn't the very fact that so many agree with the Anarchist ideals show that you are doing something wrong? I can't speak for the people, I don't make that presumption. But, personally, I've had quite enough of all kinds of governments, thank you very much."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-08-01 at 06:20 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #254

And now we turn to the fundamental problem with governments: the more efficient, the more corruptable, and vice versa. It seems we now must find a middle ground.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

James speaks directly to the Blackfist representative; "We decide the cities future, because someone must, and we have the power and influence to see that our decision is followed through with. I would hope at the same time, we have the reasoning and moral integrity to reach a consensus that is best for the populace."

"In what sense do you refer to anarchy? If you mean an end to tyranny, then that is something we all want. If you propose Minarchism, then we shall certainly listen to your arguments, as that may well be the best option for the city. But if you mean unrestricted chaos and lawlessness, then that can not be considered a valid option. I will not debate the issue. We must have some form of order."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-08-01 at 07:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256

"Minarchism, eh? No, we do not want a state at all. But I also don't believe that the result would be lawlessness. I just think, personally, that any system too big for all the members to know each other is doomed to fail. A leader should know his subjects, and he he has more than a hundred or so, that is just not feasible. I want smaller structures. Structures where all members can be equal parts. I don't think that the people can ever truly believe in a leader that they don't see every day and eat dinner with every so often."

17. - Top - End - #257

Hmm... Perhaps a feudal system.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

"Hah. Your 'anarchy' sounds good until you think about it for a moment. What happens when the city has been divided to such small structures? Some of them have more swords than others, or a powerful mage, or plenty of coin. Others are led by fools or madmen. Some groups start fighting each other, and there's no-one to stop them. The stronger groups keep gaining more power and the weaker ones die out. We end up in a long time of constant war and death in the streets, until a handful of groups finally rule over everything and impose the sort of government they wish.

We see this right now in many neighbourhoods around the city. Once law and order broke down, people formed into gangs and mobs for their own protection. Then these gangs started fighting each other and only the outside interference of a stronger power could get them to stop, unify them and get them to direct their will outwards."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

19. - Top - End - #259

NinjaGuy

To Party internal Council
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, my friends. Ignorance was their first mistake. They should've been courting us, dividing us to prevent us to join like this. They have failed in that.
    If we wish to have power and weild it, we can't leave enemies behind like that.
    something MUST be done aboutt he older houses.

Marraige is a possibility, ruining them is other.

And House Matoff... While we COULD offer them membership, they will probably refuse.

I call on the guards of all party Houses: We need this government talks to go smoothly. We CAN win something from this.

I am planning to send a message to the bigger Old Houses to negotiate [next turn]. I would prefer to absorb the power we can from them.

If we don't make friends, we must destroy them to be sure they won't destroy us.

EBSA meting
    The Party commision arrived smoothly. They were well dressed, but not flamboyantly.
    You could almost see the chainmails under some of the suits. The Lords were careful.

The northern part of the perimeter was formed by Wallen Guards, divided in 3 tipes: Spearman and shortswordmen mixed in a common formation, with crossbowmen amongst them.

The Lords arrived at the meeting room early, and saw it being filled by people.

Lord Wallen waited until the meeting was underway to start talking.

I agree with the Warden representatives in this matter.
    Man is a selfish creature. Even if the smaller gangs weren't able to top each other and form bigger gangs (How? It doesn't matter), the smaller gangs would suffer under the bigger gangs.

Is that what the Blackfist proposes? That the stronger rule and the weaker are crushed?
    Isn't that the exact problem we are trying to stop?

Setting those matters aside, the people in this room have very different opinions on how should this city be ruled.
    Absolute Monarchy, Democracy, Anarchy...

The Lodstrom Noble Party has a proposal: Let's have it all together.

We should have a powerful govwernment, capable of making short term decissions as well as long-term policies.
    We propose a Constitutional Monarchy.

We propose to have a King AND a Prime minister, working as a team.
    The King would be king by birthright (He makes a bow to King James), but the PM would be elected by the him.
    The PM would have almost full executive power, although the King would have veto power, and would be able to remove him if the Parliament agreed.
    The PM's ministers would be elected from Parliament members.

The King would have supreme authority over the Army, though. Noble militias and peasant neighbourhood militias should remain legal, as an instrument to prevent tiranny.

The Legislative Power would be formed by a Parliament, with two chambers: A House of Lords (Formed by noble houses, half of the seats are elected by nobility, the other half by the King); and a House of Commons (Elected by Popular Vote).

All legislation would be passed by the House of Commons to become law.

The House of Lords would check the laws, and pass them if they are considered fair and well-thought.
    They would also form a judicial structure, to judge over the most important cases of law.

Now, I believe that taxation should be controlled by a minister appointed by the PM, the King, and the Parliament, but that is my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-08-01 at 10:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260

Oh this is comical. We sitting in here discussing which form of government to impose on the inhabitants. Those gangs won't care what the 'official' government is- as long as it doesn't benefit them, they will continue to do as they will. What we would need first and foremost is organised law enforcement, but clearly no decision will be made here. No side seems willing to compromise, and if they do, what then? Each group will continue to do as they please, and we would still have chaos. No, talking will achieve nothing but boredom and some interesting philosophical ldeals. No, we must act, swiftly and decisively. However, we're 'not leaving until we reach a decision,' apparently, so I guess we're trapped here forever.

Lord Wallen, I like your proposal, but it means nothing if we can't get the people to accept it; similarly, how would we deal with those who do not wish to be ruled by this government?
    Last edited by Nyrt; 2012-08-01 at 11:30 AM.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

"Giving the absolute authority over the army to someone chosen by birthright rather than personal skill and aptitude is a fast path to a total military catastrophe.

As for the meaning of negotiating here - those present control the vast majority of the power in the city right now. If we were to come to a decision and act upon it, there is nothing the remainder could do but to bow to our will or be destroyed. Whether we will ever come to any decision is a different matter, of course."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

The representative of the Wren nods. "Besides, I question the claim of this king. He was born in the Runners City, to a family like any other. We have only the word of the Champions that he is a true heir, swearing by some magical test, and a 'royal spark' that no modern mage has ever heard of.I believe he bears further investigation, before we hand over command of the armies of the City to him."

" This meeting is chaired by the Bureaucracy, and it shows. Words are Wind. Nothing will be resolved today."

23. - Top - End - #263

NinjaGuy

"Very well. What do you propose?

If I may say so; anyone believing that we will get nowhere by talking should just get up and leave. No offense, but that kind of talk stops debate and creates more trouble than it resolves.

I agree that swift action must be taken, but creating a government takes time. And creating a government that the majority of this room can agree on WILL take time.

But we have to make it. Otherwise, it's just civil war, and most of the people in this room will not live to see next winter.

I believe that you do have a point; so I propose this:

One, we form a provissional government, with power to take city out of this mudhole.
    It doesn't have to be too complex, a Council formed by representatives of the factions that choose to continue dialogue would be sufficient.

Two, we form a bigger commission to agree on the type of government and write a Constitution.

Three, we agree on what we WON'T have on the government. I, and others, won't agree on any government that destroys the noble class, as I'm sure that the Rams will not agree on governments that opresses peasants.
    And we are both right in those points, if I may say it.

So let's sign an understanding between all groups on that regard, and let the Constitutional Commission work from there."
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-08-01 at 10:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

"That sounds like it would work, but how would we decide who's on this provisional government, and who writes the constitution? Somehow, I doubt many people would be happy if you excluded their faction from one group or the other."

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

The representative leans back, seeming to smile even under the silk. "And which factions would be in your 'government'? Just those present? That seems a bizarre metric. Then what? Territorial control of the city? Do the Cult of the Blessed Mad, the crazed serial killers get a seat? How about the Tong, who freeze men alive? Both of these groups control, or controlled neighbourhoods in the city. Who decides who gets a spot?"

26. - Top - End - #266

The Blackfist representative laughs.
    "Why, the one with the biggest stick, of course! Because to prevent the strong from ruling the weak, those assembled here first have to conquer the strong. Isn't that what is being said, here?"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-08-01 at 11:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course. Strong will always rule the weak. The purpose of law and order is to make sure they don't also oppress them."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

NinjaGuy

"Well, there is only one way around it, the way I see it:
    One group, one member. Each group elects their representative as they want.

Each member gets one vote, all members are equal. Special assignments (Such as military or economic charges) wll be decided by simple vote, and should be only be assigned to people with experience in the field.

And let's not be hasty here.
    Everyone will have a vote on the final government, and everyone who wants to have a vote should have one on this one.
    This is an open meeting, and everyone who wants to talk can.
    That includes even the Blackfist, who is against everything said here.

But the smaller gangs are tearing the city apart. And of course we are not allowing crazy cults like the Blessed Mad in this!!!
    Those gangs and cults do not represent anyone. They are just smaller tyrants.

In the specific case of the Blessed Mad, I would advise this: If they avoid new violence, deliver the members that have murdered people to justice, and abstain from murder, They should be allowed in.
    Otherwise they are outlaws and criminals.

The people in here, however, do. The nobles, the peasants, the military and the churches are in here.
    The fact that we are here talking, instead of ripping each other's throats show that.

The gangs and cults have a right to vote in the new government, but they don't have a right to be violent and destroy the city.

Anyone who wants to join the Provissional government should be allowed to join on the following terms: They stop violence, they allow the City guard to enter and help their people guard the streets, thay agree to send a representative to the commissions.

Anyone who wants no part in this should be allowed, as long as they stayed out of the matter

But make no mistakes. Those who oppose the new democratic government must be stopped.

The tiranny from the masses may seem more just because it comes from people that have been picked upon too much. But it is still tiranny."
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-08-01 at 11:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Champions of Sovereignty

To the Order of the Wren [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The champions shown the Wren through to a makeshift meeting room, tables and chairs of poor wood but fine craftsmanship. The king is seated inside, wearing fine cloths, and a simple but elegant crown. He speaks in a voice resounding with authority, but obviously youthful. "It's a pleasure to meet you... Wren. Could you leave the majority of your guard outside? Don't want to crowd the room.""
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-08-01 at 11:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

The Order of the Wren

To the Champions of Sovereignty [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Wren nods sharply, and lifts a hand to signal his men to stop outside the door. "Indeed. I prefer that this meeting be more...personal. I have been aware of your cause for some time, though it was your coronation that has spurred me into action"

The voice of the Wren is deeper, and older than the boy Kings, yet it gives off a resounding charisma, not unlike the boys own. "Now, I have come, because I am interested in our prospective king. As you no doubt know,it has been millennia since the last King ruled. Why do you deserve to rule this city?"