New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Broken City

EGSE [6]

bloodhaven [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I had already planned on expanding the Blackjack Boys to use to police the Blacksage district. That way they could keep the remnants of the magical criminal organisations there under control and provide aecuritt for (and possibly from) the students. Naturally should you and Wallen aid in expansion it would be much appreciated, and I'm sure you could gain good standing with them as I have. I would like the Blackjack Boys to continue patrolling Redress Street, though, to keep the MU from gaining a foothold in the city again.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

ESGE [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Naturally. I ask only for the Blackjack Boys to provide their experience to the new recruits.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

3. - Top - End - #1053

EGSE [6]

Bloodhaven [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course.
    [OOC]: would this be an independant NPC organization, or some joint-controlled thing, or what?
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!

Image to come

Buy my music here

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Nyrt/Zelmac [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm thinking an independent organization, but allied to us. It would be stronger, then if we simply used the resources to boost our MIL.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

5. - Top - End - #1055

thel [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    okay, that makes sense. How will the land be Divied up? I'm guessing you want blackside north and south. In that case, Dogma and Dead campus is what I'd like. If so, We'll have to be sure to claim the land as soon as the fighting stops. I don't want the other participants in the conflict to feel slighted.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

6. - Top - End - #1056

NinjaGuy

SGA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doctor Vassari: We are already improving the weapons of our own troops; but I will send orders right away to make the armories available to the new guard. I can't promise them to be available right now (I'll try, so please be ready), but consider it a promise for [next EoT]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I already sent an EoT, I'll send a message to change it to give the new Guard the advantage of the trait

Sausage guild: An interesting proposal. I would be willing, but I'm not sure all the nobles in my territory will. Who would be in control of the exits and guard posts of such tunnels?

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground

SGA (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen
    We would provide internal security, but we would not be opposed to other guards being placed at the entrances in your territory.

We would note that the tunnels are specially designed for our own use. We have specially created draft beasts to make use of them. That would of course not help if your nobles would be worried about the Sausage Guild misusing them, but it would severely limit the tunnel use for troops of other factions attempting to move through them without our authorization.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Nyrt [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, I won’t mind Southside Black, though if I could have certain arrangements with its owner, I can pass it off.

I want White-Striped Mages to have a department in the University and have a say in how it’s organized.

And I'd like for Blacksage District to be in good hands.

Well, of course all plans depend on us actually reclaiming the Blacksage District. MU and it's leader are far too intelligent, and I shudder to think what aces they have to play against us.

9. - Top - End - #1059

Bloodhaven [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is acceptable.

Don't worry too much about the MU; they can't actually hold out against the city as united as it is. They rely on us being disorganized and corrupt. Though a different and more frightening threat than the librarian, I don't believe we can't over come them.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

The Sausage Guild

To the Gear's Chosen
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem we find with your device is that we do not use coal to power our workings. Lightning is certainly a powerful force, but before we can spare funding for it we wish to know that it will in fact be compatible with our blood magic.

As such if you would let our Shapers test the suitability of Lightning after you have finished the first generator then we would be willing to invest in expanding your capability to generate it, but we have our own projects and our unwilling to invest in such a project without such certainty.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

To Sausage Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well that depends on what you wish to use the lightning for. Regardless, we should have something to show you in Factories South come the new year (next turn)
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Nyrt [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

That's pretty much what I said to leader of MU in our city. He called my bluff.

The infighting is only getting worse and depths of corruption is revealed with each passing month. MU is two steps ahead of us, and we don't know the rules of the game they are playing. The only hope I see for us is that their objectives are not to turn this city into a smoldering emblem of Shattered Lands.

I might be too cynical. We'll see with the new turn.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

mercantile's guild

SGA[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    i have all my soldiers on high alert in case the Wardens come for me. i am also initiating a preemptive buildup of my forces to offset any losses i may take.

i have also talked to my allies in the turnaround. at the very least i will be notified of any approach through the neighborhood long before it arrives. however hopefully they will fight on my side. their assistance could prove invaluable, as it would provide an extra [7-10 MIL]

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Bugbear in the Playground

Turn 7 Results
    December, 1033 DR

The Sav Altulas Standard
    Reading Between Your Lines

Sponsored by the Bookbinder's Guild

MAIN STORIES TODAY
    EXTRA EXTRA

REDEYE KILLED IN HARROWING SIEGE IN DOZEN DANCERS
    Serial Killer Finally Brought To Justice
    Spoiler
    Show

The hunt went on. Through Imperial Third and into Oldtown, grim-faced men and women posted the signs with the indistinct drawings and asked the questions no one else dares to ask and searched every place where a man might hide. They followed the trail. The one they hunted killed as compulsively as an addict smokes, and everywhere left his mark. In Imperial Third, a man lay dead in the arms of a shapely wooden mannequin, blood dripping down his face like tears. In Annosus, a family was never seen again, their house filled with weeping puppets and the echoes of screams. In Dozen Dancers, half a dozen children tried to kill the Wren, crying bloody tears for the family and friends that their failure meant they would never see again. And in the eyes of a Dancer, in the empty head of a massive sculpture that had, until yesterday, been in the process of being hollowed out by the Wool Street Gang, they finally trapped him.

It was the gang who led them to him. When someone goes missing, it usually takes a while to notice that he’s gone: not so on Wool Street. Their workers had not come back one night, and a dim figure had been spotted in the Dancer’s eye, and that had been all the evidence the paranoid gang had needed before calling in the hunters.

There was one way up, and no way out. No way to burn him out, no way but one to approach. An initial foray into the Dancer proved disastrous, with men being cut to pieces by an unseen hand and choking on their own blood, so they settled down in siege mode while trying to come up with a better plan. They only had one way up to him, true, but he only had one way down and it seemed that all the bows and blades in Runner’s City and Oldtown both were pointed at that lonely stair.

Two days later, the Order of the Wren finished scaling the outside of the Dancer and blew a hole into the head with a black powder charge.

The Wren wanted to go in first, which was something no one else was really happy with. But he had insisted, and he was the head of the order, and no one really wanted to spend time arguing with Redeye just overhead. The mere presence of the Bloody Eye was unsettling, like seeing a tornado in the distance. People had been seeing him in the shadows every night that the hunt had been on, and to finally know--know, for a fact--that he was here today...well, people could perhaps be forgiven for being a little jumpy.

The charge blew, and the Wren swung back on the rope that was attaching him to the side of the Dancer's head and flew cleanly through the still-smoking hole. He hit the floor low, at a bad angle, which is why the knife took him in the shoulder instead of the heart.

Order soldiers began swinging through the hole one-by-one, but not nearly fast enough. The Wren felt no pain--no feeling at all in that arm, in fact. He recognized the feeling. Redeye's signature poison, flowing now in his veins. This would have to be fast.

He dived backwards, away from Redeye, and saw the glint of steel as the knife pulled out of his arm. It was dark in the Dancer's head, but the Wren had never really trusted light to show him what he needed to see. He would fight just fine in the darkness, and he had the feeling that Redeye was the same.

"Prideful little bird," said Redeye, in a voice so dry and soft it could barely be heard. "Alone but for your army. Such a picture I could paint with you, if I but had the time."

The Wren advanced warily, sword drawn.

"Have you been appreciating my work, little bird?" asked Redeye. "Your Doctor friend, I do not think he understands. He speaks as a dog does, full of rage but no comprehension." The man's disgust was plain. "Trying to break a legend that he does not even realize never existed. It matters not what others speak of me. All that matters is the work. You understand? The art. And even the rats in the gutter know of my art. The mind is a canvas, little bird, and I paint with your thoughts. You see? Terror has such a bright color."

The Wren could already feel himself slowing down, the poison deadening his nerves. Time to move.

A soldier tumbled through the hole with a lantern on his belt, only to be thrown back out when Redeye turned and slammed a knife into his chest. The Wren heard ribs crack from the blow, even as he himself was lunging.

The lantern tumbled through the air and shattered on the floor, flame-licked oil spreading in a pool on the stone.

"Ah," said Redeye, dropping the knife, hands going to the blade in his chest. "Such a masterpiece I could have formed from you, little bird."

And it was done.

FIGHTING IN BLACKSGAGE ENDS
    Librarian Missing, Presumed Dead
    Spoiler
    Show

Admit It, You'll Miss Me

There were three forces acting against the Librarian in Blacksgage this month. First were the soldiers of the Party Guard, led by Ser Wallenstein, who had settled into winter camps in Dogma and were defending the rebuilding efforts there. They did not come under attack, and for the first time in several months peace reigned.

Second were the forces put together by Doctor Vassari to assault North and Southside Black. The troops were followed by mages and spies to root out sifter magi and break the mind-altering enchantments that they left behind. The Librarian's remaining mage cadre, busy elsewhere, did not respond, and the Black neighborhoods peacefully fell out of her control.

Third were the forces of the Esoteric Society, the Executive Bureaucracy, and the Champions of Sovereignty, led personally by Lord Founder, Captain Rargo and King James, respectively. They marched on the Dead Campus itself, and it is there that the remaining forces of the Librarian made their stand.

"Bring her down!"

Captain Franz Rargo, commander of the Greycloaks currently storming the main reception area of Orn University Daimot, was not a happy man. Things had been too easy. They had advanced cautiously, expecting heavy resistance, but this...ambush was the first time they had even seen any of the enemy. Even calling it an ambush was a bit much. The Librarian had simply been waiting for them in the entrance hall of the University Commons, with ranks of blank-faced mages and summoned creatures behind her. From what little glimpse he'd gotten of her before the fight started, she didn't look so good, shaking and swaying as she cast her spells. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be having any effect on their potency.

That said, something was lacking from the enemy defense. The shaker magi, for example, were almost violently conspicuous in their absence, and the Librarian's forces that remained...tattered was the best descriptor he could come up with. They were ragged, on the edge of some precipice of the mind that Rargo didn't care to contemplate. There was no time to really consider the implications before the fire came down. His Greycloaks knew what to do--gods know they'd had to do it often enough by now--and scattered, moving behind cover, lofting bolts and arrows at mages when they had the chance but ever working to get to sword-range. He issued a few sparse orders, but the truth was that his men had their business well in hand. It was his allies that he was more worried about. King James, for example, was determined to face down the leader of the MU infiltrating the city personally, which Rargo privately thought was insane. He'd read the reports that O'Vail had sent out, and the only way he would ever want to meet the master of the sifters was with a good head start, and maybe a couple artillery pieces as backup. Worse than the Champion's King, though, were the Explorers. The Society's men were solid, yes, the remains of the Blackjack Boys and the Home Guard fighting as much for their fallen friends now as for any other cause. But those soldiers, despite all their ferocity and skill, were being led by Lord Founder, a man who viewed the concept of mortal peril as a personal challenge. It made strategy sessions less useful than they would otherwise have been. Julius Lance, the leader of the Blackjack Boys, would nod and agree and give good suggestions when they were planning the next day's movements, and then when the actual battle came all that would be completely ignored by Bennet Founder, who would once again charge in with that damn dragon gun of his, all his men running to catch up and protect him from the Librarian's magicians. It was infuriating, it really was.

"Bring her down!" the Captain shouted again, focused on the slim white figure of the Librarian. Some of the others had wanted to capture her--he dimly recalled Doctor Vassari suggesting as much to him in passing while the man was taking a break from treating wounded in Dogma, and Founder had even taken to carrying weighted nets about with him just in case--but as far as Rargo was concerned, capturing a mage of her caliber was far too dangerous. Best to end it now. Her mages were dropping around her like mayflies, and the summons weren't doing much better, but she was still a deadly thing indeed, furious at this trespass into her domain. Or at least she should be. Peering around the pillar he was using as cover, Rargo could not see any emotion on her face. Behind her, he noticed with some satisfaction that a man in a grey cloak was gesturing others forward, swords in hand.

Lord Founder and Lord Pontiss got to the Librarian before the Greycloaks did. Outside of the Blackjack Boys, Pontiss was probably the only person who understood how their antimagic worked, and he was using that to good effect today. Founder was, as usual, less subtle, but his methods served him well now. Rargo saw him leveling the dragon gun out of the corner of his eye--it always amazed him, that a man of Founder's age could even lift the damn thing--and winced in anticipation of the sound.

The last gargoyle defending the Librarian fell, its stone chest shattering from the impact of a fist-sized iron ball, and suddenly she stood alone, though not for long. The Blackjack Boys were there with surprising speed, magical energies rolling off their strange black armor and warping reality behind them like disturbed fog, limbering up clubs set with grim lead symbols. They struck her down and bound her hands like they would any common criminal, their movements brisk and efficient. In that instant, the battle was over.

Lord Founder reached her after the Blackjacks, saw immediately that the Librarian had been neutralized, and threw the net he was carrying over her anyway.

"All yours, Aberham," he said, nodding to Lord Pontiss. The Blackjack Boys spread out, some staying close at hand to watch the Librarian, others keeping watch for mages that they might have missed the first time around. Pontiss, meanwhile, stepped up to the struggling Librarian and gently put a finger up to her temple. They both went still as stone.

King James reached the Society Lords before Captain Rargo did. "Well done," he said, polite as ever. "Might I ask what you plan to do with her? Er...that is to say, what are you doing with her."

"She's got a spell in her brain, old boy," said Founder. "Well, obviously. She's a mage. Got a lot of spells in the ol' grey matter, I'm sure. But the MU put a different one in." He passed his dragon gun to his manservant, who had appeared as though by magic once the fighting had ended, and accepted a glass of something dark red in return. "Doctor Blaine mentioned it to me. Vassari sent the Librarian a message, and got back a response saying these MU boys were in her head, what? So we aim to get them out of her head." He beamed, and took a drink. "Shouldn't take too long." He nodded to Captain Rargo, who had just then reached them. "Speaking of the MU, we should probably take a look around. Make sure they're not hiding out somewhere, check if the Library's safe, all that. I trust you can handle it, Captain?"

Rargo smiled, trying not to grit his teeth. It wasn't an order--Founder never ordered him to do things, not after he had patiently explained that he worked for the EBSA, wasn't one of Founder's servants and no, would not "Run and see if the carriage is here"--but it might as well have been. Except he'd be the one to look unreasonable if he didn't do it, and it was a good idea. "Absolutely, sir," he said, instead of everything he wanted to. "Do you know where the Library is, by any chance?"

"Of course not!" said Founder cheerfully. "Woman kept the damn thing hidden from Desoui for hundreds of years. It's not like it's going to be on any of the maps. That's why we need to you to go looking for it, eh?"

"Of course," said Captain Rargo. "If you would excuse me, then?" He left before a response could be formed.

"I do not think that man likes you very much," said James, watching Rargo's retreating back.

"Nonsense," said Founder, turning back to their prisoner. "Aberham! Any progress?"

When Rargo arrived at the archway where his greycloaks had been forming up and tending to their wounds, he found orders already being given. A tall, lanky man in a grey cloak stopped speaking to the men and saluted as he approached. "Memoria abiit," he said. "Hello, sir. I am your trusted lieutenant, as I have just explained to these men."

"Right," said Rargo, turning from the lieutenant to his greycloaks, already forming up in squads. "You heard what Founder said, I take it?"

"Yes, sir," said the lieutenant.

"We've got a map of the place," said Rargo, taking his copy out of a pocket, "but it's old, and there's been enough renovations between now and then to hide damn near anything. And she's probably had time enough to bury it wherever she pleased while we were fighting our way here. Frankly, I don't think we'll manage it anytime soon."

"Might be a bit pessimistic, sir," said the lieutenant. "What is it that you are looking for?"

"Looking for the damn Library," Rargo replied. "How easy do you think it's going to be?"

"Not very, I suppose," said the lieutenant.

Rargo gave him a long look. Something about this man was bugging him, an itch at the back of his mind that he couldn't quite figure out.

"What's your name, son?" he asked finally. The lieutenant smiled.

"Majus, sir," he said. "Stirling Majus, at your service. This name seems perfectly normal to you."

"I hesitate to ask, because I am sure you know what you are doing," James said, watching as his own men formed up with the greycloaks and began the search of the campus, "but what, exactly, is your plan here?"

"I told you," said Lord Founder. "Aberham breaks the spell on the Librarian, we ask her where the MU boys have got to, we put together a little hunting party and go bag a couple more trophies for the wall."

"Trophies?" asked James, momentarily distracted. "I thought summoned creatures vanished when slain? I assume that is what you are referring to."

"Absolutely," said Founder, discreetly moving to block the King's view of his manservant Sebastian, who was measuring the decapitated head of one of the more imposing Daimot mages. "Let's go with that. The point is, we walk away with the university, the MU gone or dead, and the only person who knows where everything is in that Library of hers."

"Right," said James. "Only, she seems kind of, ah, passive right now, with the spell in her head, and you know she was fighting us even before the MU showed up...I guess my question is, why do you think she would help us now, after we've torn down the little empire she was building? She probably doesn't like the MU for what they did to her head, but I remember fighting her before they showed up, and she absolutely hated us."

There was a moment of silence, broken only by distant shouts between the various squads of searchers.

"You know, I never really thought about it like that," said Founder at last. "Aberham? Maybe hold off on breaking that enchantment for a bit..."

"I really wish you'd said that, I don't know, maybe ten seconds ago," said Lord Pontiss. "That would have been a good time for it."

The Librarian's eyes opened, and they were blazing white.

"I highly suggest we run," Pontiss added.

Captain Rargo had been pouring over his map on a table made of a broken pillar and some planks when the Librarian lit up the room like New Year fireworks. He could barely make her out if he shielded his eyes. Suddenly, the sword that he had instinctively drawn seemed horribly inadequate.

"Greycloaks!" he barked, realizing a moment later that they were spread out across the campus by now, searching for the Library. So were the Champions, oddly enough, though he didn't remember himself or James giving that order. Why hadn't he kept any here? Must not have been thinking straight. Of the forces who hadn't been immediately surrounding the Librarian, there was just him and the lieutenant.

The Blackjack Boys opened up with crossbows, covering their Lords' frantic retreat, but the Librarian ignored them. Bolts ignited midair and were ash by the time they came close to touching her. The expression on her face, once his eyes adjusted to the sudden light, was one of absolute, perfect fury.

"MAJUS!" she roared. It was a real roar, too, full of bass undertones and ten thousand years of predatory instinct. She lifted off the ground, antimagic chains shattering like glass, hovered for a moment, and then shot straight up, punching through the roof without stopping.

After the echoes had died down and the debris had settled, Rargo thought to look at the man next to him. "Why the hell was she shouting your name?" he asked. It took him a moment to realize that the lieutenant was no longer present.

"Well," said Founder, getting up from behind the table, "that wasn't good."

"Quite," said Pontiss. "Your majesty, if you would be so kind to move so that I may free my foot..."

"Right, sorry," said King James. The three of them stood and dusted themselves off. Sebastian appeared and offered Lord Founder a handkerchief, which he used to wipe the sheen of sweat off his brow.

"Did any of you see where my lieutenant went?" asked Rargo. "And where the hell is my map?"

"Lieutenant Regis?" asked James. "I thought he was taken back to Doctor Blaine after the statue courtyard. His arm looked rather nasty, I thought--I haven't seen him since then."

"No, no," said Rargo, brushing aside the King's words. "Lieutenant Majus."

"Lieutenant..." said James.

"Majus," said Rargo impatiently. "Stirling Majus. He was right here. Did you see where he went?"

The King and the Lord looked at each other again. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" asked Founder.

"That 'Stirling Majus' sounds rather familiar?" replied James.

"This may sting a bit," said Pontiss, reaching out and putting a finger to Rargo's temple.

"What," the Captain began, and then everything went blank.

The man in grey paused to catch his breath under the crumbling arches of the Veridian Hall. It was always tricky, managing situations like this, but despite the complexity of the plan it had all been going surprisingly well until the Librarian had got loose. Pity about that, really. He hadn't thought that she would remember as much of the mental control as she apparently did--the last thing she should have been able to recall clearly was the relief as the sifter magi showed up to clear the way for the shakers. After that it should have all been fighting the coalition, slowly losing, getting more desperate...she wasn't supposed to remember him, dammit.

No use dwelling on it now. She did remember, and knew enough to have a name for the one responsible. More importantly, she knew enough to go straight for the Library. He'd managed to steer the Greycloaks and the Champions away from its location, but the Librarian? That wasn't even worth a joke. He would have to move fast.

The man in grey took a deep breath and adjusted his clothes. A crease smoothed out here, a fold flattened there, and suddenly what had been a military cloak was a simple grey magician's robe. Fantastic coincidence, that color. He'd barely had to work at the illusion.

"MAJUS!" he heard from afar, the shout once again echoing through the University halls. He winced. So loud! Was she trying to lead the coalition to the Library? Despite the admittedly overwhelming evidence to the contrary, the people attacking the Dead Campus weren't complete fools. They certainly knew enough to, you know, follow the sound of her voice. Gods above! How he hated working with amateurs sometimes. He really shouldn't have kept her around this long.

Well. Time to fix that little mistake. She knew where the Library was, but he knew ways in and out that he doubted even she realized existed.

King James and Lord Founder were talking when Captain Rargo came back to reality.

"Doctor Blaine told me," said Founder. "After Vassari had gotten his reply from the Librarian, he got a little note from someone calling himself Stirling Majus, telling him to mind his own business. The Doctor figured he was the head of the sifters, and I can't help but agree. Some kind of spymaster, was my impression. Yourself?"

"I, ah," said James, sounding uncomfortable. "Well, the Doctor sent a message to the MU later on--after the one he told you about, I think--and got a response back signed with that name. And, I, ah, I don't necessarily condone this, mind you, but sometimes people read the Doctor's mail, and, ah..."

"Let's leave it at that, shall we?" said Founder. "Looks like Aberham has done his work."

"What the hell did you just do?" said Rargo, blinking.

"Aberham went rooting around in your head for a bit," said Founder.

"That is not what I did at all," said Pontiss.

"He poked around in your brain," said Founder cheerfully. "Picked through your memories and saw which were false and which were forgotten! He knows all your darkest secrets! You are forever marked by this vile magician! Forever, feeble mortal!"

"I know I don't say this often, Ben, but could you shut up for a minute?" said Pontiss, in as polite a voice as he could manage. Remarkably, Founder stopped talking. "You mentioned Stirling Majus," he said to Rargo, "which is a name that we have been associating with the leader of the sifter magi. So I checked to see if you had the same sort of mental enchantment as the Librarian. Which you did, to a lesser extent."

"What?" A dull, throbbing headache was slowly making itself known in the back of Rargo's skull.

"Is there anything about the past, mmm, say half an hour that seems out of place?" asked Pontiss. "Especially concerning your Lieutenant Majus?"

"Majus?" asked Rarjo, trying to concentrate. "I don't know any..." He trailed off. "Oh, ****."

"Memoria abiit," the man in the grey cloak had said. "Hello, sir. I am your trusted lieutenant, as I have just explained to these men."

"He directed the search," said Rargo weakly. "Just took charge. Greycloaks and Champions both. I...why didn't I..."

"All gods damn it," said James, disgustedly. "He was right here, and none of us noticed. Right here." He kicked at a nearby rock, glaring at it as though it were directly responsible for hiding the sifter mage.

In the silence that followed, all four men distinctly heard a voice, screaming in the distance. "MAJUS!"

"I would be willing to bet," said Founder slowly, "any sum you would care to name, that she is going to the Library."

"No bet," said Pontiss.

"Furthermore, I would wager that our dear friend Stirling is going in a similar direction," Founder continued. "Shall we see if we can find them?"

The Librarian stared at the scene before her with horror. Here, for all to see, was her worst nightmare, dredged up from the back of her fevered dreams and placed before her eyes. Surely this was a dream, it must be; for this to happen was unthinkable, horrific beyond comprehension.

The books were gone. As far as the eye could see were bare shelves. All the magic, all the knowledge and wisdom of a thousand years, gone.

"Impressive, isn't it?" said the man in grey. "Took some doing, yeah, but it wasn't hard, not by any stretch of the imagination."

She turned towards him, fists clenched. Tiny lightning bolts sparked from her dress to the ground, leaving trails of embers drifting in their wake as they lit up the dust.

The man in grey gave her his most charming smile, and spread his arms wide. "Couldn't have done it without you!" he said.

They heard the voices, but they couldn't find the source.

The main problem was that they didn't have enough men. They had collected what they could of the troops that Majus had sent on their futile search, but it was becoming readily apparent that he had, in fact, directed most of them back to Dogma. Rather than waste time hunting them down, they elected to press on, in the hopes of interrupting whatever it was that Majus had wanted them gone for. Now, though, they didn't have enough to give the huge hall a proper search.

"It's got to be close," muttered Founder. "I can hear them clear as day!"

"Quiet," said Pontiss, pacing the edge of the antechamber where they had started hearing voices. "If there's a hidden door here, you know I'll find it. In the meantime, I want to hear this."

"Stop casting," said the man in grey.

"What..." came the voice of the Librarian, echoing about the room. It was the echo that was making it hard to tell what direction the sound came from. The Librarian's voice certainly didn't help matters--it sounded as though she hadn't spoken in months. She cleared her throat and tried again. "What have you done?"

"And here I thought it was obvious," chuckled a voice that of them only Rargo had heard before. It was an innately likable voice, though entirely too pleased with itself. "I did what I've been trying to do for years now. Look around you, darling! I pulled off the crime of the century!"

"Years?" muttered James, searching for hidden switches.

"Delay," said the man in grey.

"Years?" asked the Librarian, on cue.

"Why did you think we were trying to get into Redress Street?" asked the voice of Majus. "Seriously, why? We could have walked across the bridge or pulled into the docks any day of the week and no one would have noticed. No one did notice! Desoui didn't notice! We've been in the city ever since we realized this library of yours existed! Oh, and we had such plans!" He laughed. "Redress Street! Oh, Redress Street! What a beautiful place! It was the tunnels that we were after, of course."

"What?"

"The tunnels! Your library is underground, darling, don't know if you noticed. And there's tunnels leading into it. Small ones, off in the corners, maintenance shafts that never get used anymore, but enough. We got our information from the government Archives, but I think there's a church in Oldtown that knows about them too. We were going to set up shop in Redress Street and just funnel books out slowly, moving out the back. You'd never have noticed." The sigh was barely audible. "And then, the Blackjack Boys came in. Annoying people, right?"

"He's casting," Pontiss said. "Try not to act on any impulses or emotions that you can't verify are your own."

"Let your defenses fall," said the man in grey.

"How the hell are we supposed to tell?" Founder demanded, as the Blackjack Boys started setting up an antimagic field.

"Let your anger subside," said the man in grey.

"So we tried a different direction," said Majus, and the antimagic meant that his mental suggestions were starting to come through as well, in a weird warping around the words he spoke. "Silas Mok was mapping out the tunnels under Southside Black for us when you killed him. A pity, that. I mean, he was kind of a scumbag, but still." He laughed, delighted. "And then! Then you just invited us in! I couldn't believe it! And thus, this! The crime of the century!" He couldn't stop laughing. "Like, half the city is convinced we're an invading army or something, you know? Setting ourselves up to rule like Desoui? Which is hilarious! I mean, who would want to rule this place? Especially when we practically got invited to steal the most valuable thing in it!"

"I am so pleased that you hold such a high respect for my collection," the Librarian said, in a voice edged with frost. "Now what have you done with it?"

"Kill yourself," said the man in grey.

"Oh, it's long gone," said the voice of Majus. "The biggest trove of lost spellbooks this side of the mountains? Oh yes, you can be damn sure we wanted that. You think I would come out personally for anything less? Frankly, you should be taking my presence as a great compliment!"

"Kill yourself," said the man in grey.

"The presence of a mere thief is no great honor," said the Librarian. "And you can dispense with your mind games. That won't work on me a second time."

"Kill yourself," suggested the man in grey, hopefully.

"I said stop it," said the Librarian. "You are a trickster and a common thief, and if you do not tell me where I may find my book you will find yourself wishing for something so sweet as pain."

The other mage, for some reason, found that to be just about the funniest thing ever.

"Seriously?" he choked out. "Do you--you don't even--are you for real? You? You with your fancy little college gig and your precious seven-element system? You are threatening me? Holy bells, this was worth the price of admission! Seriously! Oh gods above I can't stop laughing this is a problem I need to breathe."

"You are walking a dangerous path with your tongue, thief," said the Librarian, in tones that would have slain a lesser man. Even this one took it as a sign to sober up a little.

"You don't--okay, I know you're not this stupid," he said. "Look, it's...it's like...how do I even begin? I don't even...I even went and introduced myself! Stirling Majus! I've been signing that name to every letter and putting it in every conversation I've had since coming here, and no one's gotten the joke yet? Not even you? Is there something in the water here that removes your ability to process wordplay? Stirling Majus! Stirling, as in the adjective. Majus, as in literally one letter away from magus. I even kept the same initials! What is wrong with you people?"

There was a pause.

"You," said the Librarian, horrified comprehension in her voice. "I know of you."

"Finally," said the Standing Mage. "For ****'s sake, how many hints does a man have to drop?"

"Also, now that you're distracted by the revelation of who you're dealing with: kill yourself. Slowly."

It was about then that the screaming began.

It turned out to be the mosaic in the floor, which was kind of unfortunate because it meant they spent five or ten minutes searching the walls first. Pontiss was the one to figure it out, as he had said he would. It was enchanted, of course, but he was a gentleman explorer, and had some experience with breaking down ancient wards on secret doors. It didn't take him long after figuring out where it was before he had it open, the tiles of the mosaic falling away to form a broad staircase leading down, to a pair of double doors that shone like the sun. They were already open, just a crack, enough for the smoke to leak out.

Inside the Library, things were a mess. Rank upon rank of empty shelves greeted them, standing like wooden soldiers on the floor. A great scorched scar tore through their midst, the only sign of the exchange between the Standing Mage and the Librarian. Of the Library itself, the books that had made it what it was, nothing was left, and of the man in grey there was no sign.

"This is going to be...difficult to search," said Captain Rargo, staring out across the Library. Try as he might, he couldn't make out the far wall.

"Might not have to," said Pontiss. "If we want to find Majus, that is. We'll have to go through the place to look for anything the MU might have missed, obviously, so we can salvage something to base the new university off of, but if we're looking for Majus, I do recall overhearing that the tunnels went to Redress Street."

"He also said that Silas Mok was mapping tunnels under Southside," James pointed out.

"Yes, but we don't know where those come up," said Pontiss. "However, I seem to recall Cornelius telling me something about smugglers using the water mains just offshore of Redress in the past month or so..."

"So Redress Street," said Lord Founder. "I'll have my carriage brought around."

The boats were as solid as timber and magic could make them, rocking gently in the current that flowed through the tunnel. There were only two left, now, where once there had been dozens tied up at the makeshift dock. Similarly, where there had once been a score or more of sifters working nonstop to shift books and priceless artifacts, there were now only four, one of whom was sprawled on the brick pier, unconsious. Every now and then a drowned rat would drift downstream. It was happening more often now than it had been when they were loading things, the man in grey noticed.

"So you all saw the rats lined up on the shore unconsious, and you figure someone's drugged the water," he said, not quite believing what he had heard. "Dumped sedatives in or something. That part I get. But...Ekelson just stepped up and took a drink? Just like that?"

"Just like that," one of the others affirmed, shifting from foot to foot. "You know how he always is with potions and drugs and all that 'there's only one way to know for sure what it does' stuff that he's always spouting."

"I thought he'd broken that habit after the whole...you know, the thing with the tiger," said the Standing Mage.

"I thought he had too, boss," said the other.

They watched sleeping and drowning rats drift past in the current for a moment.

"You know," said the Standing Mage, "when I asked the Librarian if there was something in the water, I didn't expect there to actually be something in the water."

"You think it was the Doc?" asked another sifter.

"Got to be."

"Want us to have a word with him, once this is over?"

The Standing Mage considered it. "Maybe," he said. "Not soon, though. Business needs attending to." He kicked a rock into the underground stream. "You know if this stuff is contact, or does it need to be ingested?"

"No idea," said the other.

"Well, best not risk it," said the man in grey. "We can hoof it from here. They won't have doped the lake--we can still grab one of the fishing boats and no one will be the wiser. Come on."

"Is that entirely safe?" King James stared at Lord Founder as the Society gentleman struggled to reload his dragon gun in the cramped confines of the carriage. "We are in a rather small space here, and I hate to consider what would happen if, say, that pipe you are currently smoking happened to set off one of the bags of black powder that you seem to have formed your throne out of."

"Perfectly safe, I assure you!" said Founder, the motions of speech throwing embers from his pipe. "Or at least safer than most of my hobbies, eh? Eh? Sebastian! Ball!"

Sebastian handed his master a neatly polished iron ball, which Founder unceremoniously jammed down the barrel of the gun.

"You think the message got through to Dogma?" asked Pontiss, for the third time.

"Course it did," said Founder confidently. "Army that Majus sent away will be marching down Redress Street as we speak. We'll get this chap, never fear! Rat in a trap!"

"My Greycloaks at least will be there," said Rargo, who had sent a separate regroup order through EBSA channels rather than relying on the ESGE's messenger birds. Founder had assured them all that the birds were completely reliable, having been trained personally by "A jolly old boy with a townhouse on Peshing Ave," but Rargo had deep suspicions about the delivery capabilities of a creature with a brain smaller than his thumbnail. He was pretty sure James had sent his own message through different means as well, which was good. The more messages sent, the more chance one would get through in time to mobilize the undoubtedly confused troops. He only hoped that the Standing Mage's magic didn't leave them out of the game any longer than it took them to get to Dogma.

"Got lights on the right, guv!" shouted the driver. "Looks to be a fair number!"

"See?" said Founder. "That'll be the troops. Right on time."

"If ye don't mind me interruptin' guv," shouted the driver again, "I'd appreciate it if 'Bastion could light the coach lamps! 'S startin' to get a lil' dark up here!"

Sebastian was moving before Founder had stopped giving him the order to, leaning out the window with a handful of matches.

"I don't like this," said James. "This is a mage we're hunting. A sifter. He could slip right past us, could be gone with the sun, and we'd never know."

"We'll find him," said Founder. "Never fear."

"Guv!" shouted the driver, "you might want to take a look at this!"

Here was the scene.

There was an intersection of three streets, two coming together and merging into a single road that led straight to the Redress docks. Two people were standing in that intersection, a completely unremarkable woman and a tall man in a grey robe, about a hundred feet from the pier and the boats tied up there. A third man was drifting in mid-air, unconsious, held aloft by a wand, and a fourth was accepting a hand up out of a hole where there was usually a drainage grate. Of the two streets that led to where they were, one had just filled with soldiers as the massed ranks of the Greycloaks and Champions turned the corner and saw the mages up ahead. It was in the second or so of shock and recognition on the part of both sides that Lord Founder's carriage had made an appearance on the other merging street, coming around the bend on two wheels.

Soldiers on one street, Lords and Kings and Captains down the other, and a hundred feet to the dock. There was no way the mages could make it out of there, and it took everyone involved about half a second to realize that.

"Well, ****," said the woman who had been levitating the unconsious Ekelson.

"That about sums it up," said the Standing Mage as Founder's carriage skidded to a halt, disgorging its passengers with weapons in hand. The soldiers on the other street broke into double-time, the front rank pulling swords and the second bows.

"Got a plan?" asked an unnamed sifter.

"Surely do," said the Standing Mage. "Kenyi, you can do that thing with the water, right? So if we can get to the boat, we're clear?"

"We ain't getting to a boat, boss," said the woman sifter.

"I dunno," said the man in grey. "I think we'll be fine. You two get Ekelson to the boat, and I'll...I'll just do a few card tricks for these fine fellows, yes?" He grinned.

The sifters looked at each other, and shrugged. He was the boss. He had a plan. That was good enough for them. "On our way," said the woman.

"Right," said the Standing Mage as the others turned and started moving quickly for the docks. "All right then." He cracked his knuckles and rolled up his sleeves. "Time to put on a show."

He took one step forward and delicately cleared his throat.

"WHO DARES OPPOSE ME, MASTER OF ALL MAGICS, GREATEST ARCHMAGE OF THE AGE?"

The sound was deafening as far away as Dogma.

"FOOLS, ALL! BEHOLD, MY TRUE POWER!"

The Standing Mage threw up his arms, and the lake behind him burst open. sheets of water fell from the massive head, the claws, the wings that opened batlike from its back, unfolding to blot out the fading sun. The dragon rose from Lake Brecombe like the wrath of an angry god, and when it opened its mouth its voice was fire. Soldiers hardened by months of combat against monsters pulled from other planes screamed when they saw that head turn towards them. It was a primal fear that flooded the streets, an absolute refusal to believe that something that big, that malicious, could possibly exist. Some were frozen with terror. Some threw down their weapons and fled. Some, to their credit, stood their ground, raising bows and blades against the beast, even as its roar drove all sound and thought out of the world.

"This is the greatest moment of my life," Lord Founder said, and fired. As though the sound of his gun were the cue, a hundred arrows flew from the riot of soldiery, rising to pierce the foe. A moment after Founder's iron ball passed through the dragon's eye, the arrows, marked with lead symbols by the Blackjack Boys, tore the illusion to shreds. By that time, of course, the Standing Mage had almost made it to the boat, moving at a full sprint, his robe pulled up to his knees so as not to trip on it.

"All gods dammit," roared Founder, as the Standing Mage dived into the boat without slowing down. The woman sifter standing at its prow began chanting, and the boat leapt into motion as though launched from a bow. "Gods dammit! I wanted that head for my wall!"

There was silence for a brief moment, broken only by the soldiers a street over settling themselves back into some semblance of order.

"You're talking about the dragon, right?" said King James.

"Absolutely," said Founder. "Let's go with that."

Fat Tippest is under the control of the Blackfist Brotherhood, with the factory managers and overseers who used to live there being tried in the Harrowing Grounds. As the anarchistic fervor dies down, though, some in the Smokeyards are beginning to realize that the men who paid them are now gone--and are starting to ask where next month's pay will come from. (OOC: Smokeyards District as a whole gains trait: Unstable Economy).

Technist guardsmen are seen sporting emberlock weapons, bearing the maker's mark of Lucas Deplorian.

The mooring towers of Gaspar Aeroyard rise above Gaspar's Folly as the old airfield is completed at last, finally dropping the title "Orn" from its name.

War has come to Stacks.

Fight For The Bridge! Fight For The Circle!
    Spoiler
    Show

On a bone-cold day under a steel-grey sky, with a dusting of snow on the ground from the previous night, a large force of Warden troops, led by Commander Tarmin and Malcolm Exarn, began marching from Gateway Milanus towards Traitor’s Bridge and the Gear. Mercantile’s Guild forces, concentrated in Drydock and the Gear, were not in a position to readily intercept them, despite being quickly alerted to their presence by runners from the Carriage Houses. The Warden advance was slowed, however, by several sudden traffic impediments shortly into the Turnaround—carts overturned, paths blocked by crowds, etc—which gave the Guild time to redeploy its troops to the Caravanserai and to reinforce the Gear. It also gave a contingent of Clockwork Swords from the Gear’s Chosen time to arrive, streaming off the Council Road to form up with the Wardens in preparation for their assault on the Gear; and unbeknownst to any but the leadership of the Mercantiles, it gave certain agents agents lurking in the Turnaround enough time to send a message back to Bunkers, where an army of Sausage Guild carvers and shapers began forming up under the personal command of Urso Bloodhand.

There was quite a bit of argument afterwards about who, exactly, set off the battle--who fired the first shot, who raised the first sword, or who cast the first spell. Some said it was the Mercantile guardsmen blocking the Council Road, growing increasingly terrified as Warden soldiers failed to halt when challenged, their advance as unstoppable the tide. Some said it was the Clockwork Swords, enraged when the guards barred their path to the empty Chosen Library. Some said it was the Laheim mercenaries hired by the Guild, grown tired of waiting, the war for the bridge begun to the sound of the bells tied to their armor. Some said it was Guild assassins, some said it was Malcolm Exarn’s order, some said it was a conspiracy of necromancers (admittedly, no one took those last people seriously).

No matter who started the battle, it began poorly for the Mercantile’s Guild and never got better. Attempts had been made previously to encourage local militias to form and oppose incursions into Stacks, but these quickly vanished when the Wardens reacted to their harrying tactics with walls of gunfire and jets of freezing water from the riot mages, leaving only guardsmen and Laheim opposing them. The Gear fell quickly, leaving the remaining Guild forces retreating behind fortifications in the Caravanserai. The Council Road blazed a clear path to Traitor’s Bridge, it is true, but the path was lined with archers and men with swords. The only way through would be to go slowly, to clear all resistance from both sides of the Road before proceeding, which is exactly what the Warden forces did.

They were at the Bridge itself when a messenger finally managed to make it through the chaos and inform Commander Tarmin of what was happening back in Spicer’s Circle. By then, of course, it was too late. The carvers and blood-mages of the Sausage Guild had emerged from under the ground, destroying both the token Warden force policing White Market and the larger one that had been tasked with suppressing potential riots in Pepperstoch. From there, they had spread out, with excursions advancing into Guild’s Hand and Orange Crown before being slowed by increasing resistance. The Gear was in the hands of the Chosen and Traitor’s Bridge was in the hands of the Wardens, but in turn half of Spicer’s Circle was now controlled by the Sausage Guild.

The Mercantile's Guild, desperate after losing so many guards in the fight for the bridge, has begun recruiting mercenaries from the Shattered Lands at large.

The last of the gangs in Pits has been burned out by a combination of the Gilded Pyramid and Revolutionary forces from Rot's Burrough.

A new song by noted composer Melliso Daph has been adopted as the song of the Ram Revolution.

"Ours, Tomorrow"
    Spoiler
    Show

Today for toil and sweat and blood
    Ours, tomorrow, the city we love.
    Today for darkness, filth and mud
    Ours, tomorrow, the city above.

The Hath Poisoner's Society has been hunted down and destroyed by Warden agents.

The various orders of monks in the Bleak Cathedral have discovered that they are a long-lost splinter cult of Neposh and have rejoined the Church, to much celebration.

The majority of Dozen Dancers now worships at the altar of Neposh.

Refugees in Dogma and unemployed factory workers in the Smokeyards are being recruited in large numbers by the Gear's Chosen.

Union labor and Chosen priests are rebuilding Old Jack's Run.

Agents of the Blackfist have been seen in Downline, including a member of the Hand itself.

The Champions of Sovereignty are distributing prime beef to the people of Runner's City.

The Ambassadorial Guard are sporting new equipment subtly marked with the emblem of the Sausage Guild.

The Silversmith's Guild is, for all practical purposes, in control of Dappled Court.

New varieties of enchanted jewelery have hit the market.

Chaos reigns in the Dreuger Grounds as the Righteous Army of Telen Kosh comes under attack by the Heladuits, even as Defeated frost-mages strike back at those who attempted to destroy them last month.

The manor house of the Heladuit family has undergone some extreme renovations. Reactions to the new design range from "Ostentatious" to "Oh gods above I'm blind," depending on the cloud cover.

The ground rumbles beneath Heartsblood and Silent Court.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

15. - Top - End - #1065

Esoteric Society of Gentleman Explorers [6]

The University
    "Well," said Founder, "looks like I know what we'll be exploring next."

"You know," mused Pontiss, talking mostly to himself, "I understand why they would want the chandeliers to float, but I haven't the foggiest how they managed to do it. You'd think they'd just fall down when the person who created them stopped caring- or died."

"All in good time, my friend. I am rather disappointed that the MU made off with my, sorry, the University's library, though."

"I thought you had little interest in books." responded Pontiss, mildly surprised.

"Absolutely correct. I was looking forward to seeing your reaction to it; I'm sure that'd be worth the effort of going through this whole bloody business. Then again, I'm sure I'd never see you again, what with you wasting away staring at all those musty old tomes. You do enough of that already."

"It is a shame. All that we could have learned..."

"Oh cheer up. I can't stand you when you're maudlin. Look, at least the MU won't be trying to steal your collection anymore, thanks to our good friend StigBalathad. And look at this! Think of what we could do with this place! Lord knows I wouldn't be able to stand learning here -how dull that would be!- but a good deal of my ancestry attended."

"There is that."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Colossus in the Playground

More Pamphlets

Lost your HOME? Lost your LIFE?

Never Fear, Brother!

Recently freed from THE MAN, the quarter of FAT TIPPEST is now free for your use!

Yes, you heard right, brother! Free housing, free furniture. MARVEL at the luxury our OPRESSORs lived in, as YOU, yourself come to live in a mansion in Fat Tippest!

FREE for orphans, free for widows, free for the unemployed, free for all refugees from the battles against the nepharious Librarian!

These are the glories of the Revolution!
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Champions of Sovereignty:

As ordered, Commander Bran and the entirety of the Champions military force, marched down the main street of Hopers.

Weapons sheathed, helmets off, shields slung across their back, the Champions approached the crossing into the Merchantile Guilds territory slowly, and with as little menace as they could muster. Just shy of a dozen paces, Brandan brought the champions to a halt. On the other side of the crossing, behind hastily made defences, mercenary archers could be seen aplenty, their weapons pointed warily at the approaching forces.

The champions were deliberately exposing themselves, an attack by the mercenaries now would kill many, but the champions numbers would still achieve victory. It was a gesture of trust, one Bran hoped the mercenaries would recognise. Brecking off from his men, he approached the crossing alone, his helmet under one arm. When he was within a few feet, he yelled across the the mercenaries.

"In the name of the King we demand passage, to bring justice to Commander Tarmin, traitor to the throne, and the city."

King James to the Wardens

"Commander Tarmin, I fight you guilty of treason."

"Order your forces back to the Imperial First without further conflict, return the Traitors Bridge to the control of the city immediately, and report to Hopers for sentencing for your crimes"
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-10-06 at 06:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

The Sausage Guild
    Def Esp 7

To SGA (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We apologize for not making our intentions known beforehand, but to be frank even the commerce house is not secure enough for some things. A secret is best kept by one after all. In any case can we expect any support from the rest of the Guilds in the coming month. We think it likely that any potential negotiations will fall through and the Wardens will likely attempt to drive us out of the Spicer's Circle.

On a more mercantile note we have extended our tunnels through Old Town. And we offer their use to any of the Guild's that wishes it.

To Gear's Chosen
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have decided to give your lightning generators a try. How much would you require to extend your infrastructure to us?

To the Champion's of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    We wish to inform King James that our tests have indeed proven his blood to be that of Kings. We will support his claim to the throne. And if he wishes provide our research for him to show publicly or not as he wishes.

Assuming of course that we come out of current exchange between the SGA and the Wardens intact.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

Commander Tarmin to King James

The Commander stares at the King for a moment, with a stony look.

Then he nods. "Very well, my King."

He turns to the Wardens. "Troops, return to the camp. If I don't return, you are to hold a Large Council vote on the new leadership. If you want my advice on the future, Tara knows where to find it."

After these words, he takes off his sheath, sword still in it, and lays it down on the ground. Then he walks towards James.

There is some muttering from the men, but they say nothing openly, instead forming ranks and departing for their burning homes.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

20. - Top - End - #1070

Blackfist to Wardens [8]

Spoiler
    Show
    Need some help with a certain annoying boy?

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Bookbinders Guild, ESBA, ESGE, Lord Wallen, Champions of Sovereignty [5]
    Spoiler
    Show

I would like to address you on the issue of Blacksage District.

1. Imprisoned Mages

I request, that they would be released into my custody

[OOC: Zelmac requires IC confirmation of that]

2. Territory

I desire no territory, unless anybody present believes, I’d be suited to managing one.

I support ESGE’s claim to re-establish the University.

[OOC: We need to decide, who gets what]

3. Blackspell Watch

This organization was founded with the assistance of all, except ESBA and Champions of Sovereignity, to protect order in the Blacksage District.

I propose that it answers to a board of all, who contributed to its formation. We shall appoint Watch Commander* and decide on the Laws & Regulations, that the Watch would enforce. No regulation or law would be passed that would act against rights and freedoms of the board members, unless they engage in criminal activity.

As such, I would like to ask ESBA to assist the new watch in formulating its regulations and laws, dealing with paperwork as well as overseeing the execution of justice. And I ask Champions of Sovereignty to officially recognize the Blackspell Watch as legitimate authority in Blacksage District. With those contributions [with stats], both of you would be included in the official board.

*You can nominate one of your VIPs or I or We can make one.

Watch Law Codex:

I request two things.

a. In issues related to the White-Striped Mages, I would be informed and allowed to conduct my own investigation. I do not seek to abuse this privilege to harbour criminals, but those Mages are my responsibility and I would like to be there, to see justice done.

b. In Blacksage Southside, certain considerations would be given to associates of mine, who have assisted in fighting the threat of MU. This arrangements would cause anybody harm. I believe they would be able to manage order on their territory, without need for assistance from the guards.

4. Daimont University

I would like to support the ESGE’s plan, that nobility, distinguished bureaucracy and the presses of the Bookbinder’s Guild work to re-establish the University as the center of learning.

I request a place on the Board of Trustees for myself, formation of Faculty of Metamorphic Magical Theory and Application Studies, with position of Dean selected by me and admission of White-Stripped Mages into the said Faculty.

SGA [Commerce Hall, PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Mercantile Guild

The most important issue is of course situation with the Mercantile Guild. If honoured representative could provide information on the fighting, we could discuss it more. It also appears Champions of Sovereignty are making their move. I have spoken harshly of royalty before, but perhaps it was a hasty statement and we’ll see justice done.

Smokeyards

The workers of the Smokeyards are asking, who is going to pay them now. I believe the answer is rather obvious. The Guild will, as we take control. Technist Guild can serve as our representative, as they are most qualified to manage production and implement innovations.

We need to figure out the situation with the Blackfist Brotherhood. I ask Technist Guild to provide information on your dealings with them. Can they manage workers and cooperate with us?

Adittionally, we can consider buying the allegiance of the Underdocks, to make sure we have muscle available to control the District.

Airships

As the Airships take flight we should consider expansion of the trade to Merdallion Kingdom. Naturally, the first step would be to send our representatives to establish contacts.

Bookbinders Guild

I would like to ask Technist Guilds and other Guilds, if you are prepared to honor their monopoly on printing.

Market Guard [4]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’Thank you for your loan. I will repay it now.’’

Peackocks [8]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’Would you be interested to expand your influence to Blacksage Southside? I’m working on making arrangements for this, though if the idea is unattractive to you, I will redirect my efforts to alternative projects.’’

Blackfist Brotherhood [8]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’You have helped me and the city, in the time of need. I owe you a favor, should you ever decide to collect.’’

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mercantile's guild

The men of the "kings" personal army were let through without incident, even if the guilds men had desired a fight they couldnt put up much of a fight after what they just went through.

The fight for the bridge
    Spoiler
    Show
    General Brador was patrolling along his typical routes when he met the runner from the turnaround claiming that the Warden army was fast approaching despite dozens of roadblocks barring their path.

while there wasnt much time, it did give him the oppurtunity to report the news to the senior guild leadership and dispatch Cecilian, their top intelligence agent, with a message to the carvers of their ally, the saugage guild, stating that the time had come.
    ---------
    It was only an hour or so later that General Brador was fighting for his life against the Warden troops who were overwhelming the guild soldiers. his men were good but the Wardens were simply to numerous to repel. Take cover! he shouted to a squad of men surrounding him as he saw a warden mage chanting an arcane spell...he dove to the ground just in time as the fireball raced over his head, exploding in the midst of 3 of his soldiers.

immediantly jumping up from the ground, he sprinted and quickly dispatched the mage who was grinning at his work, but was set upon by a pair of Wardens. never one to hesitate in battle he quickly gutted one of them after a clever feint but had to play defensive against this next Warden, until he presented an oppurtunity for Brador to draw a knife from his belt and slash him across the throat.

it was about this time that another soldier, a captain, came and reported that he was needed elsewhere. General Brador just sighed before moving to follow the captain...things were not going to end well.

To SGA[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    i agree with your keeping your actions a secret.

the war did not go well on my front due to the lathein mercenaries not being on the top of their game for whatever reason. you will have my aid when the wardens come for you.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

Wardens to Blackfist:
    Spoiler
    Show

We'll see how things end up. It's true that the city needs strong authority, and if I have to be sacrificed for that to happen, then so be it. I will bow to whatever charges they pile on me. But the line is drawn there - if they threaten my men and try to shame them for deeds they've never committed, I will not stand for it.

We may not see eye to eye on many things. Your ideology, while invigorating, feels naivé. But you do fight for your ideals and you do it straight, like true men, instead of hiding behind shadows of 'political expediency'. For this, I give you advice - if you are to survive, you need to work with the Ram. And vice versa. There's not many out there who would let you exist in the long term.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Technists Guild to SGA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, they ran into us when we were subverting Fat Tippest. We planed to be a whole lot quiter about it, but life. Anyway, they'd help us grab the underdocks in exchange for us backing off in Fat Tippest, and we make them some Code Macheines. We got 'em made, and we'll be sending them along to 'em.

On the printing monoploy, sure. We won't use our printers for commercial use. To be frank, we've mostly just used them to do internal record keeping and research notes faster. We've never tried to make a move on the monpoly, and respect your need for a living.

And as for the Blackfist coperating, they might just be able. They want to improve the peoples lives, and they know we have a good rep in that reguard.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

25. - Top - End - #1075

ESGE

Bookbinders Guild, ESBA, ESGE, Lord Wallen, Champions of Sovereignty [5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I approve and support all of your requests. I would like to nominate commander Julius Lance, of the BlackJack Boys, for the position of Commander of the Watch. He is a good, reliable man who been one of the most trustworthy men with whom I have worked. He has plentiful experience from commanding the Blackjack Boys, and has more experience than any other in the use of antimagic devices.

In addition, I would like to request permission to rebuild Orn University and restore it to it's former glory (I refer to before the Librarian took it over, of course). In addition, the gentlemen of my organisation are uniquely equipped to scouting and mapping the university in preparation for restoration. With permission, I would make the University our next expedition and begin the work of restoring it.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mercantile's Guild

the senior leadership of the guild has met and reached a decision: we request that the Gears-Chosen turn over their newly gained territory in the Stocks. there was no foul play involved and the people living there willingly joined the guild. we even made many attempts to estalish friendly relations with your splinter group and were turning over all your holy-texts as well as monetary compensation but your troops attacked us anyways leading to the deaths of hundreds of our soldiers.

what is your plan regarding the ownership of the bridge, King James?

To SGA[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    what is everyones opinion on the Gear? if they do not give the neighborhood up then i may be forced to retake it by force. if it wasnt for their soldiers then losses wouldnt have been nearly as high as they were. i will reserve judgement on the Warden issue until King James responds.

i have no issues with the bookbinders monopoly.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Blacksage District Council [5] [It's ESGE, ESBE, etc]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I support the notion to restore the University and personally will contribute to the recruitment of new students and restoration of the Library. I've already contacted Bookbinder's Guild to discuss it.''

Peacocks [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’Would you be interested in acquiring interest in the Alliance of Labor organization? Competent thugs can always be useful, if competition arises and things get ugly.’’

ESGE [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’The MU has withdrawn, but I expect they left a number of sleeper agents. I have got rid of the infiltrators in my own ranks, though it’s possible a few might have slipped my net. The Blackspell watch will need to be examined as well, though I think we can put it off for now.’’

’’We need a reliable method to counter those domination spells. Loyal Mind Mages of our own. It will be tricky, as a single infiltrator among them can taint the whole effort.’’

SGA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Wardens

I’m uncertain how to proceed, before we determine what King James is doing. If the fighting passes, I will assist the Mercantile Guild in recovery, from the damage they’ve suffered.

[What were your losses?]

Gears Chosen

I’m prepared to act against Gear’s Chosen, if such is the will of the Guilds. They’ll find themselves hard pressed to defend two territories at such distance from each other.

Technists Guild: Underdocks

I would like to propose cooperation.

The United Alliance of Labor in the Underdocks would be feeling rather uneasy, since their membership dues are dependent on factory wages. So, if we become the source of their coins, their allegiance would be easily swayed.

I propose that we combine our resources. [ESP] to subvert Alliance leaders, [WEL] to buy their loyalty, taking advantage of [Trait: Unstable Economy]. In the end of the month, let the Alliance work for us.

I ask for two things. There are certain shipments coming from Triphage Untima that I wish to continue uninterrupted, no matter who is in control of Underdocks.

Second, my associates require more muscle to protect their business in these chaotic times, so part of the Alliance’s power structure should fall under their control.

[We split Alliance stats in proportion to contributions in subverting them and you get the territory.]

Blackspell Watch [4] (Lord Wallen, ESBA, ESGE, Bookbinders can read)
    Spoiler
    Show

’’While certain administrative issues are being discussed, I believe the priorities for the Watch should be Daimot University and Dogma.’’

''Dogma requires extra patrols against looters.''

''Daimot University requires protection against thieves and looters.''

''I would also appreciate a report on the state of things in Blacksage District – any dangerous mages or gangs attempting to take advantage of chaos? Potential troublemakers? Perhaps the Blackspell Watch should show who is in charge now, so we avoid problems in the future''

Bookbinder’s Guild [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I’m prepared to sponsor Bookbinder’s Guild for admission to SGA and support your action to protect your monopoly on written word. If you could address the SGA with what you wish done, we can work on resolving the situation.''

''I would also like to bring business to you. The University will be recreating a Library. You can expect an order to come by the end of the week, when certain administrative formalities would be dealt with.''

To Conductor & Delathian [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

''As you know with the end of the Librarian, I have loyalty of more Mages than anybody else in the city. It’s a fraction of power, that she possessed, but I have both resources and will to rectify that. The Orn Daimot University is going to lose the Orn part soon. Unlike the Librarian, I’m prepared to use cooperation to accumulate knowledge and power.''

''I’m certain you have projects that require certain resources and contacts, I possess, while you have knowledge and assets, that could be of immense use to my Faculty. Would you be interested in mutually beneficial arrangements?''

[OOC – What is their REP by the way? It should be public knowledge. And any interest on their part to join the Daimot University?]

[OOC - Did I miss any major Mages in the city?]

White-Stripped Mages [PM] [Internal Affairs]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I have gathered you, the top ranked and most trusted Mages to discuss the Metamorphic Theory and Application Studies Faculty.''

''Most of the city’s Mage Societies were either destroyed or are in the process of being wiped out. We will fill the void. The University is about to be restored, I’m in the process of working out the rules and objectives of our society, that will see our power grow.''

''I believe in increasing the power of my Mages. As such at least 50% of my resources [MAG] would be dedicated to theoretical and practical projects that you will propose to me. If project promises especially lucrative returns, I may provide additional resources.''

1. Okay, what do my top dogs want to research?

2. I also ask questions to determine, what sort of research projects would attract the most recruits to my Faculty?

OOC: I expect a lot of crazy, slime demon summoning ideas… Well, there should be a couple good ones, hopefully.

OOC: I will be organizing a proper Magic Society with my MOR – establish rules for Apprentice-Master relations, so both sides benefit, venues of progression in ranks, thorough seniority, skill and loyalty, hierarchy that determines the power and influence of members, keeping both lower and higher ranks happy, ways to apply for grants and resources for research projects and dispute resolution (through legal means, but probably would include non-lethal magic duels, simply because they are cool.)
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2012-10-07 at 07:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mercantile's Guild

SGA[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    losses were quite severe. i lost 5 MIL. i have 3 MIL remaining after my recruitment.i have been going over the battle reports and i believe that were it not for the Gears-Chosen and the bad luck suffered by the Lathein mercenaries then i might have actually held back their armies or atleast reduced the amount of casualties i sustained.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Blackfist to Doctor Vasari [8]

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we owe you this: we have already thoroughly infiltrated the UAL, and intend to move more openly against them this month or the next. As we saw with the Technists in Fat Tippest, too many factions trying to take over the same organisation only leads to ugliness that no one wants.

30. - Top - End - #1080

NinjaGuy

To SGA
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Can I still read the PM's?
    What projects do you need assistance with?

To all loaning and banking asociations of the city
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lodstrom Party requires a big loan, to make some projects.

We would require a loan of [12 wealth], to be repaid in 3 turns.

To Blackspell Watch
    Spoiler
    Show
    We agree on the priorities. While Wallen troops have defended Dogma succesfully this past winter, the time has come to send them home. As long as Blackspell Watch has enough men and firepower to keep order, of course.

To Blacksgage District Council
    Spoiler
    Show
    We support the discussions to restore the University and Dogma. Lodstrom Party will continue its work to aid the refugees and rebuild the nieghbourhood.

We wanted to rebuild Dogma quickly; and have some ideas for that that will take public status shortly.
    In short terms, Lord Wallen has called for a meeting with the citizens of Dogma. there, he will try to organize the rebuilding of the neighbourhood.

Lord Founder, how will the University be organized from now on?

To all Dogma citizens [public]
    "People of Dogma, I am Lord Wallen. I come before you at this time, and I should've probably have come before.

The government has tried to help you during this hard times. That help has not been as effective as we hoped, but it was what could be done at the time.
    I have heard that my party, in particular, has brought warmth in unexpected ways"

Lord Wallen smiled when he reached that point.

"Now comes the time to rebuild. I call you all to stand up and show everyone what the people of Dogma are made of! You have survived this disaster, and now you will rebuild your lives!

I want to offer you my full support. I have two proposals: One, I offer to help you form a council, (A commision? The name is not important) with only neighbourhood citizens as member, to decide how will the neighbourhood be rebuilt.

Second; I realize that a lot of you can't bear tyo continue living here after what has happened. Lodstrom Party offers to buy your property; for the same price it had before being destroyed in the fighting according to government files."