New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Broken City

Gears Chosen (8)

To the EBSA
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we fully appreciate the threat of these forces, and have no wish for our artifacts to be pilfered by them, at the moment I hope you understand how we are still settling in as it were. In a short time, a month say, we would be happy to commit some forces

To the Mercantile Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will accept a short delay on the blood money, on the condition that the texts are delivered in full, at once, and without any copies being made.

To the Mednicant Necromancers (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joshua arrives alone and without fanfare, meeting discretely with others arrive under similar circumstances So, it seems that your problem is a bit of a paradox, you need people to think that the temples will protect them without the temples actually doing so. Assuming that the supply of corpses already available, and those which inevitably appear as the result of Holy Industry, will not be enough, then I have one suggestion. Perhaps the Chosen may "drive you out" as unholy scum? All of yourselves would make it to safety of course, but a few dozen incinerated zombies and a few weeks of peace should give us the prestige to claim guardianship of the Fields and place the temples in a more subordinate position without undue fuss. Then, as long as you are subtle enough not to cause yourselves problems, everything should be as it should.

To the UAL
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once Joshua arrives at the Union office, he quickly launches into a mixture of sales pitch and threat You may notice that you are ,unfortunately, somewhat isolated in the world at this moment. Well you can certainly enforce the correct method of social organization in the Underdocks, in Factories South we could easily make things somewhat difficult for you. And in the rest of the district you have no sway at all. Well my friends, the Chosen are going places, and we could change that. Soon the Supreme Will shall be made incarnate across most of this district and more, and we will allow you to unionize all labour in those areas, we will ensure that dues are paid, and we will make sure that all terms of employment are acceptable and indeed favourable to you fine gentlemen down here in the Underdocks. In essence, we will make the service of the Divine a Union Shop, and in return all we ask is a monopoly on your services. We require the underdocks for several of the most important incarnations we have, and we see no reason why you and the works you represent shouldn't receive a fair wage and protections for the work done here. But the designs are sacred, and we will require Designers providing supervision of the work, and our troops making sure that noone tries to steal the designs, as had happened before. We understand that this may ruffle a few feathers, and certain compensation would of course be made available to those who find their responsibilities curtailed

To Dreumont
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, I fear I let my dreams overlay reality for a moment. I speak of Icy Mount itself only. However, what I wished to talk about was your disagreements with those who fancy themselves Worldbreakers. The Chosen posses great force, and the Pyramid is almost an emulation of an Elsiner war machine, all glory and fury and light. I have no wish to see what has bee created here come under any distress, and will use my influence to bring the full might of my religion against those who distress you.

Unfortunately, my Grand Designer is not quite so appreciative of Culture, though I always work to educate him. He will demand some sort of utility in service of Incarnating the Divine for aiding you. Luckily, this you can easily provide. steam is unwieldy and prone to overheating, a small group of frost mages could would make everything more reliable and efficient, and bring Designs to Incarnation with much greater speed. And those who seek to despoil Icy Mount will be reduced to shattered Ice and white ash. Although to this I would have to be assured of your full commitment. Something easily granted I hope, anyone who idolizes Old Jack must be hunted like the madmen they are.

Once the neighbourhoods safety is assured, I would also love to live here full time, and would be happy to provide any trivia or information on the hidden facets of the Elsiner you have yet to discover yourselves

To GM (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, I assume that any message sent to me Cedary friends in Vedras would take until next turn for a response?
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2012-09-12 at 07:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Wardens to Jungle Contacts (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

The region is under control. Now it is time to turn to what assets it contains, and attempt to utilize them for the good of the cause.

And so, a small group of perfectly ordinary civilians (though surprisingly well-armed) enter the tavern to listen to rumours and maybe make some friends.

Wardens to Arun Contacts (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

What is it these people do, and what is it they want? No matter how strange or twisted, everyone has a motive and purpose, regardless of how convoluted or strange.

It is always good to find the time to listen to a few stories. Some Wardens do.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

Blackfist to Downline Mages [6]

Spoiler
    Show
    That makes this all the more interesting, then. We will call on you if we ever need a major distraction.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #754
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

House Wallen
    To the Champions of Sovereignity [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Your Majesty, I assure you that our ways will prove valuable from this time on. But we can't just report to you. We would look like kneeling fools and lose support from the lower classes.
    And should you enter the Party, you would lose some of the suport from the upper ones too.

It's better if we stay as allies, and work accordingly.

Henry's book should be out [This EoT]. You will be able to see our point of view in things fully then.

I will try to find you an orator personally, I have a few heads in mind. Just give me until [EoT]. What would you offer to our Pary if I found one?

Of course, we must talk about the Party's part in the City once Your honour is properly crowned."

OOC: I understood from this that you are looking for a new VIP. Am I right?

To Those united against Librarian and MU (TUALAMU???)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lodstrom Party base, Dogma.
    "Sir, the squads have reported back. Three mages dead. Foreign, all of them. They attacked at sight, and were gunned down."

"Well, that's three less, one hundred to go"

Ser Wallenstein was sitting down for the first time in days. He felt exhausted.

"Now there are talks of new strategy talks. That's the next step."

Ser Wallenstein finished writing the last copy, and sealed the letter. All of them were finished.
    "Runner, take this. Make sure it gets to destiny"

The runner took the letters and left riding incredibly fast. The idea of getting out of the batlezone made him happy, aparently

"Milords, I will come personally to prepare the next fight. My Lord believes that war should be left to soldiers, and I can't help to agree.

Ser Wallenstein Bungen."

To Council
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the refugee's matter, we will not be able to give them shelter as we supposed. We will give [3 Wealth] to help to their support.

Lodstrom Party Internal Council [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "My friends, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I wanted war. I don't. I thought that my previous actions would've shown that much.

But the fact is that the current structure won't hold. There will be power changes, and yes, we my find we have an army at our doorstep some time from now.
    I will NOT start a war. But I want us to be prepared for one, should that happen.

I want to propose a vote, to create a Noblemen Militia, formed by our own members, that will train to form new Elite Squads should they be needed. I wish to ask for a second vote, to recruit mages from the destroyed areas in our Party to act as mages for the Party.
    We must start to look for support from the Guilds and traders, and will start to do so [Next Turn]. We have been secluded in our neighbourhood too long, and we may end up just like any other Noble party, squabbling and fighting each other. We need to expand and get out NOW."

Excerpts from the Lodstrom Manifest [PUBLIC]
    Lord Wallen had been secluded for some time, writing what many believe will change the political game in town. Nobody knows exactly how deep the book goes in the political game, but everyone agrees it will be highly controversial.
    The leaked excerpts don't do much to stop the hushed talks, specially when you consider that some of those excerpts contradict each other.

Spoiler
    Show
    "And, I must ask, what is Power? Is it strenght of arms, the capbility to convince others by words, the strenght to plow the land and grow crops? Or are thely all some kind of power?
    It is my belief that everyone has a place in society, and that happiness can only be achieved when all parts work accordingly.

The Workers and Traders are the Muscle. They build, grow, and create everything we use today.
    But a Muscle can be strained or hurt from working too much. The other parts of the body must hear the muscle, for the muscle to work properly.
    Hence, the need for the Guilds and peasants to have a place in the Power structure.

Nobles and Mages are the Brain. We plan and prepare for tomorrow in ways others just can't. But we can't do it alone, and we mustn't. The sad state of the city shows us that.
    We have the education and knowledge to know, in many cases, what is best for the city. But we must use it wisely, and allow others to talk and make choices too.

We must convince others, and show them the way. The other paths all end up in slavery and death."
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-09-12 at 06:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755

A rebuttal to Lord Wallen's Manifesto [Also public]

Spoiler
    Show
    And what gives you the right to call yourself the brain? Are you that much smarter than we unwashed masses are?

Education and knowledge should not goods to be hoarded. They do not belong to some noble class who proclaim their wisdom from on high. That is just another kind of just that slavery you condemn.

Men are not as different as you think, Wallen.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Anonymous comment on the Manifesto and the rebuttal thereof
    Spoiler
    Show

It is clear that the people should be led by those who are good at it - skilled, intelligent, strong. It is also clear that, more often than not, the offspring of such people inherit those traits. And, finally, it is clear that while exceptions exist and always will, generally those with proper leadership end up in power simply because poor leaders are more easily defeated and cast down.

Therefore, while it is true that there often are members of nobility not worth their titles, overall the nobility is an important part of society, those born and trained to lead, chosen over the centuries from the most suitable people. So long as ways of advancement exist and inbreeding is strictly forbidden, it would be foolish to give too much power to those who are unable to handle it, lacking proper training and heritage.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution:

the following pamphlet rapidly spread around the city, starting in Runners City and the south of Old Town, but reaching everywhere. The cover page has a caricature of Lord Wallen with his foot in his mouth, and the tail of a donkey.

A Rebuttle to the Manifesto (Public)
    Spoiler
    Show

What is it that makes one of these miraculous nobles better at thinking than the average inhabitant of the city? Not birth or blood - for in these things we are all created equal. It is their training, their schooling, their health, their free time gained from excess money. They are TAUGHT how to lead, it does not come naturally to them; if it did, you would see infants leading armies and ruling cities. They go to expensive hospitals, being easily treated for diseases that are a death sentence here, not because they naturally have better constitution, but because they can afford better doctors. All these are things that, were it not for those same nobles, anyone in this city could gain. Construction on a school for Runner's City has begun, and a medical clinic has opened. Banks and shops are coming. Soon the muscle of the city will also be the brain! Then even Lord Wallen's secluded manor will not stop him and his from falling!

Go Tigers!

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Champions of Sovereignty

On the Ram Revolutions rebuttal (Public)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The caricature of Lord Wallen is clearly a deliberate attempt to bias viewers, which is both dishonourable, and counter-intuitive. Unless the Ram does not believe it has enough evidence to support it's claims, it has no reason to resort to manipulative methods.

It is lie to say that a man can't be better for his blood. We know traits pass through the blood down the generations and that some bloodlines are lucky enough to have more positive traits than others.

To say that a naturally gifted general could lead an army as an infant is grossly stupid. A natural talent does not impart instant affinity in a skill. It makes it easier for a person to learn a skill, or makes them more proficient after they have been taught.

Yes, the nobility can afford better doctors, and that is why the nobility are funding the creation of new cheap hospitals for the citizenry. Yes, the nobility have better education, and that is why the nobility are funding the creation of new cheap schools for the citizenry. There are a few bad eggs among the nobility, but as a whole, they are a powerful force working to better the lives of the citizens of this nation.
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-12 at 09:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chruch of Neposh

To Delathian (Desp 7)
    Spoiler
    Show

The Empty Blood gang has been taunting the Militia Order of Justice for a little while now. They are back handed land grabbers, and they will use the cause of destroying the Empty Blood gang to move into your territory and impose their rules on you. The Empty Blood gang may be able to be destroyed easily, but if the Milita gets a hold on the area we fear nothing will break their grip.

Streets of Leads Farrow
    Spoiler
    Show

Richard gets the eyes of the Militia men who responded.
    Perhaps your "leaders" should learn to treat their allies with respect. I have nothing against the militia, just the man who calls himself a watchman but is too much a coward to show his own face! I give Kos two options, either announce that he stole honor from the Great Chruch, or meet me the way real men settle disputes, face to face.

To Ram Revolution (what was edited in) (DESP 7)
    Spoiler
    Show

You are starting a school? We are founding one for the magically inclined. Perhaps we can assist eachother in some way in making our schools become well known and accepted through the city.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Mercantile Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'd like to begin negotiations for the main route into the city; Traitors Bridge to be put in the hands of a military faction capable of defending the city from outside threats; The Wardens

"The Wardens have agreed to supply all the profits of the bridge to public works, holding it purely for defensive purposes, and as a forward base for their operations into the shattered lands."

"I am prepared to offer governorship of the Stockyards North in exchange. In this way you might control all of the Stacks district."

11. - Top - End - #761

NinjaGuy

House Wallen

No public responses are given to the pamphlets, even the more slanderous ones.
    However, more leaked excerpts seem to respond:

Of the defects of Nobility
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Nobility has ruled for hundreds of years because, in some cases, we were better prepared and more able. In other cases, because the sistem allowed us to retain power even when we did things wrong.

And that is the problem that must be adressed. Nobility must open up to a form of government that gives other classes rights and representation.

If nobility rules alone, it falls under its own defects. The endless fights of the Old Houses, the conspiracies, and yes, even the blood wars and murder.

The excessive taxes, the oppresion, the lack of healthcare and schools, the unstable governments, are all consequences of Nobles thinking only about nobles, without taking into account the best for the city or the realm.

Our class has been selfish, in spite of itself. In spite of the many noblemen who would have otherwise.

And why has that happened? Because the sistem allowed it. That must change.
    There can be no doubt that there are more good nobles than bad ones. But the fact is that the sistem doesn't take into account if the ruler is good or bad. The ruler is the Ruler. without checks and balances, we will always suffer when an incompetent or evil ruler takes command.

Many nobles are ableminded, honorable, and smart enough to make a change. We must have a sistem that allows them to take the place that is rightfully theirs by merit, and not only based on their Families.

Workers, merchants and peasants are, as I wrote before, the Muscle. But metaphors should not be taken literally.
    They are also persons who can think, work, and act based on what they know.
    They will require better education and healthcare, but they can choose representatives from their best to colaborate with the government.

On the risks of Pure Democracy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some have said that all the virtues of the noble class come from their power, and from their access to better healthcare and food. That is ridiculous.
    Some virtues are passed by lineage, but must be developed by study and training.

Some men are naturally born stronger, and may be better lumberjacks, for example.
    But a lumberjack only becomes one by practice.

Some even say that nobility and tradition should be forgotten, and that only the populace should rule.
    That is also nonsense, and dangerous nonsense.

History has shown us how that ends: The stronger always rule, wether noble or peasant. Pure Democracy inevitably falls to division, civil war, and chaos.

Private property is not respected, bussiness are opened and closed based solely in political terms, the rich pay the poor so that the poor will vote for them, but they will never improve their condition (Because, once the poor stop being poor, they will rebel against them).

Pure democracy goes straight to Tiranny.
    Every defect that nobility has when it rules alone, democracy has it also.
    Except that Democracy will never have tradition to stop the sistem from falling apart when things fail."

Of Rule by Balance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hence, the only way to rule is by balance. The peasants, workers, and merchants must have a place in power, to stop nobility from abusing its power. Nobles must have their own place, to stop the sistem from deteriorating into chaos and oblivion.

A Constitution that gives law and order (Voted by representatives from both nobility and peasants); and a Parliament formed by all social classes, with power to support the Executive power is the best form to rule.

Perhaps it's not the way that dictators, demagogs and thieves would prefer, but it is the way.

THE PAMPHLET
    A separate pamphlet circulates the city, signed by Lord Wallen.
    It has a caricature of a man with ragged clothes and a finely-dressed man grabbing each other by their throats on a clifftop.

At their foot, a small child (With the City's shield vissibly tatooed on its arm) cries.
    It is falling of the cliff, but none of the men seem to realize it.

About civil wars
    Spoiler
    Show
    When opposite ideas meet, the result will be conflict, more often in
    the form of a Civil War.
    While I expected some of the responses to the leaked excerpts of the Manifest, some of their more violent content worried me deeply.

The City is going through traumatic changes, these are confusing times, and a lot will pass before a new balance is achieved.

This conflict is not new in nature, it has existed since the dawn of time.
    The strong will try to rule, and the weak will try to avoid oppression. The question remains if these conflicts must always end in blood.

Is it possible to compromise? To reach an agreement between the different social classes? That question will remain unanswered for now.

I do not wish to give the impression that I'm rejecting critics. On the contrary, I welcome them. Debate is good. It gets ideas out, improves the mind, and gives new solutions to old problems.

But debate can only go that far. Without compromise, a fight will happen sooner or later.

I will grant something to some of the opposing pamphlets: The Party has not been colaborating enough to help the lower classes. that situation will be adressed.

To Ram Revolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will not respond to the pamphlet; instead I will allow the people to judge the book by its content, not the cover.

I have been wanting to ask you something for a very long time, and this discussion gives me the chance.
    I'm somewhat simpathetic to your cause, even if we disagree on some things.

I wish to open schools, hospitals, homes, whatever is needed in the lower class neighbourhoods of the city (We have already colaboated with Doctor Vassari in opening a new hospital Wing, but I admit we were a bit focused in other matters from there).

The distance between my neighbourhoods and yours stopped me before, but if you have need of funding just ask. If there is a way to get funds and materials to your neighbourhoods safely, I will.
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-09-12 at 10:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762

Blackfist's Rebuttal to the Rebuttal to the Rebuttal:

The pamphlet is handed out in the arena (on the back of a football programme and with snack foods) and on select street corners. The print is simple and the ink smeared, but it features a caricature of a grossly fat man who may or may not have the face of Lord Wallen. He sits in front of a table heaped with all manners of expensive meats and fruits, graciously handing a single grape to three begging orphans (who are helpfully labelled as such). Sitting at the table with him is a stupidly grinning adolescent of about thirteen years with a jewelled crown slipping over his ears.

The title under the caricature says "A balanced constitution"

Spoiler
    Show
    And yet, would matters not be infinitely less complicated, if all that money was not concentrated in the noble classes in the first place? If the poor worked for fair compensation, so they could afford schools and doctors by themselves, instead of relying on the charity of those who took that money from them in the first place?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-09-12 at 10:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

EBSA (7)

Official EBSA statement
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite personal feelings within the organization, the EBSA will remain neutral in struggles for the legitimate reins of government. We must be perceived as unbiased so we may serve the cities government. Currently that is the council.

???? to EBSA
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC- is this from someone I don't know? Or from my friends that I've been in contact with before?

Carriage Houses
    Spoiler
    Show
    How much will your price be?

Gears Chosen
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets hope that isn't too late
    Last edited by Greystone; 2012-09-12 at 11:16 AM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

14. - Top - End - #764

Blackfist

"What, exactly, makes the council "The Government"? Out of the dozens of factions representing the citizens of this city, only a handful ever acknowledged or supported them. If we can get titles by simple claiming them, the Blackfist would prefer to, from now on, be called the United Ministries of Justice and Equality, Public Defence, Wealth Redistribution and Annoying Contrarianism". Throw in Treasurer too, we like that one."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

The EBSA (7)

The Council is the provisional government of the city as according to section 3.67 of the codes and articles set down by the founding of the city- far before the Sorceress came. It is a rarely used provision as the city rarely is without a clear ruling body however the legality is clear- there must be a unified force dealing with the problems and policy of the city. Untill they are made permanent or replaced we will continue serving them as any government.

If you have an issue with legitimacy, please fill out the requisite paperwork to file your factions complaint.

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm making up law, but I imagine that if anyone would know its us. If I cross any lines let me know GM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

16. - Top - End - #766

NinjaGuy

"Lodstrom Party backs the Blackfists for the Ministry of Annoying Contrarianism. We disagree in all the others."

17. - Top - End - #767

Blackfist Brotherhood and Ministry of Contrarianism

The Blackfist disagrees based on Article 19, paragraph 2 of Who-gives-a-****.

If there must be a unified force, what makes the council that force? Again, they have simply named themselves government, but they are one amongst many factions. Why has the bureaucracy chosen them, and not anyone else?

18. - Top - End - #768

If there must be a unified force, what makes the council that force? Again, they have simply named themselves government, but they are one amongst many factions. Why has the bureaucracy chosen them, and not anyone else?

19. - Top - End - #769

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rebuttal to the Blackfist
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You wish to increase the wages of the poor? No-one disagrees with you. Efforts are being being conducted right now to improve the lives of the citizenry. More resources will be available for these efforts when order has been restored to the city.

"You talk about the well-being of the citizenry, but you yourself are one of their greatest threats. You consistently and emphatically work alongside the worst factions in the city. Men whose only desire is to ruthlessly acquire power for themselves at the expense of the citizenry. You have indirectly hurt countless innocent people, and are directly delaying efforts to restore order the city."

"And you do this all to acquire power and supporters for yourself. The methods you are using, are inexcusable, regardless of the validity of your political ideals."

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Bloodhaven to ESBA/Anti-Librarian Alliance [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I was planning to open a field hospital in the destroyed Dogma neighborhood, closest to the people in need. Bloodhaven's resources were greatly taxed by the sheer scale of devastation, that happened in Dogma. I have funds to replenish supplies and hire temporary aid, to relieve my doctors who are falling ill for exhaustion, but if more neighborhoods are leveled by those mad mages, Bloodhaven might not have enough strength. I hope you will be able to contain the situation on your next assault.''

''I would like to request, that soldiers of the coalition provide full cooperation to my doctors, who may need to venture into the warzone to bring the wounded relief. I do not wish them to fall to friendly fire or fail in their duties, because they are barred passage or taken in custody, due to miscommunication.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

22. - Top - End - #772
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chruch of Neposh (because we were feeling left out)

It sounds strange to us, but we must agree with the Blackfists in the current debate. The old laws of the city are the ones that brought the Sorceress to power, and to continue to follow them will undoubtedly lead to another tyrant taking over the city.

House Wallen is mostly correct in their statements, to let the Nobility rule will lead to ineffectual rulers who have no connection to the real workers of the city. Meanwhile allowing the common folk to rule themselves will lead to mobs and violence as the different groups try to get more support. This is not mentioning the possiblity of an individual gaining the majority support, then using the power to oppress those who are not part of the majority. The church has methods of countering these problems that we would be delighted to share, but currently there is a forigen force of powerful spellcasters invading the city.

23. - Top - End - #773

NinjaGuy

To Bloodhaven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Count on my forces.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Technist Guilds Phamplet
    Spoiler
    Show

We of the Technists guild know this much. Give any group power over large amounts of others, and you get a tyrant. Give ultimate power to everyone, and you get utter chaos.

Forgive us for using a machiene meatphor here, but socity is very much like a macheine. If the system is too ridgid, it will be under large amounts of stress, and a seemingly small incident will cause it to break. However, if it's too loose, it'll fly apart when you take it up to full speed.

The point being, we can compare the various classes into various systems of the macheine.

The commons, are the fuel. We do not mean this in a negative manner, but rather that the fuel is often the most critical part of the system. It drives the other parts of the system, and without it, the entire system would sit there, idle, unable to move.

The nobles act as the pipes. Once more, this is not ment as a insult. But rather, they act as a system to direct efforts, and must be checked for matintanice, due to rusting. However, when in good repair, they allow the system to work effecintly.

The Millitary acts as the macheines structure. They prevent the system to hold up, and to be protected from external threat. They also help moderate the internal stresses.

The artistic and relgious act as release vents. They alow the internal stresses to be released in a safe manner, over time rather then a sudden explosion. They act as important safety features in the system, but, as with all parts of the system, they also need to be checked from time to time.

The Merchants and craftsmen are the gears of the system, the pullies and levers. They provide the meterials that are processed by the system.

Alone, each of these is ineffective. Each derives purpose only in relation to the others. Without the others, there would be no nobles. In fact, given how illegitimate children can have children of their own, but our calculations, over 86% of the city has noble blood. Within five generations, it will be closer to 90%. Give it 10? Everyone will be a noble by blood.

So, what methods can there be for advancement? By what system can we adopt to move away from herditary, and instead go to merit. Those who do well, will advance. Those who do not meet the expectations of the system will be held back. In a way, this is a harsher system.

But also consider this. The system would not care if you were born noble, royal, guild or commoner. Each indivual would rise or fall on their own merits. Each person would be a clean slate, as their past, their relationships would not matter. Of course, such a course is mostly speculation at this point, as most figures in the system would find adaptation to a new system difficult, and so would attempt to supress it.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

EBSA (7)

The EBSA did not 'choose' them. They came to the official meeting to discuss a new government, followed all the protocol, and are legal by the city charter. No other organization has attempted to do so to our knowledge. Challenges of legitimacy aside, they are the only ones that have come forwards with a plan to truly govern the city- and we appreciated that they understood that the council was merely an emergency stopgap measure until a true government could be formed.

Church, we would like to remind you that the Sorceress did NOT follow the laws of the city, eradicating the existing government before imposing tyranny. We at the EBSA opposed her greatly before we were slaughtered for our beliefs. Do not imply to us that following legal standards leads to tyranny. Don't like the laws? Have the government rewrite and legislate them.

Bloodhaven to ESBA/Anti-Librarian Alliance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our soldiers are mostly bodyguards anyway, and the EBSA would like to lend its full support in protecting doctors and getting civilians out of the district. Our only caution doctor is that the hospital be out of the district, perhaps near one of our Field Offices- if the Shakers make it past our defenses then only time will be your ally.

- SurlySeraph

26. - Top - End - #776

Esoteric Society [6]

strategy meeting 2: antimagic boogaloo [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah thank you all for coming.
    Now, what shall our strategy be for our next assault? I fear it would be folly to engage them in another neighborhood; the possibility of further collateral damage to the neighborhoods or, heaven forbid, the university makes such a corse of avtion quite impossible. No it must be in Dogma.
    Now, I believe the MU sifter magi and other MU spies pose quite a threat, and we should focus our rspionage on finding and eradicating them.

Lord Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show
    My freind: I must complement your writing. Though I don't agree with everything you say, I must admit what I've seen so far is a bloody good read!
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

27. - Top - End - #777

NinjaGuy

Lord Founder
    Spoiler
    Show
    I must thank you, Milord, even if you are being sarcastic.
    I hope the finished work looks better than the excerpts.

strategy meeting 2: antimagic boogaloo [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ser Wallenstein entered the mansion. He came directly from Dogma, in his full armour. He made a strange image, next to the nobles and dignataries.

"Milords, sorry to be late. I come from Dogma both as commander and representative for Lodstrom Party and its troops. The situation is quiet for now, but I don't know if it will last."

"My Lords will use their resources to help eradicate them, but how do you propose we do that?"

28. - Top - End - #778

Blackfist reply to the Technist's Pamphlet

"I think we understand your metaphor. So the noble class wants to burn up the workers to fuel their hollow pipe dreams?"

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution

Reply to the Reply to the Reply to the Manifesto (I think that's all the replies...) - Public
    Spoiler
    Show

The only way a representative government will work is if all the people of the city come together to make a government as citizens. Not as laborors, guild members, nobles, bureaucratic, and anarchists, but as a society of equals. The positions of the city currently held by nobles must be opened to the person best fit for the job, whether his last name is Wallen, Richter, or, God forbid, whatever the last name of the index of the Black Hand is. There must be a removal of all forms of rule and position by inheritance - Your father being a lord does not make you qualified to be a lord, anymore than my father being a day laborer means that I myself must be. I agree that there are nobles of good quality who deserve their jobs. But they do NOT, nor will they EVER deserve their job because of their birth, but because of their ABILITY. This ability must be what decides who gets a job.

It is not the idea that there are separate jobs in the city for different people that we of the Ram Revolution disagree with. We know that there are men who are suited as laborers, and men who are suited as leaders. What we reject is any idea of class having an effect on which job you have. Even a great king can have a son fit only to shovel dung, and a dung shoveler's son could be the next great king.

Rebuttle to the Champions of Sovereignty - Public:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tell me, good "sirs", what schools and hospitals the nobles of the city have been building in Runners City for the poor? I see only those raised by the sweat and toil of the poor, while the nobles sit in their manors in the Sky district and write books on politics, rather than working to help the city.

TO: Lord Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show

We are doing fine on our own, thank you. We wouldn't want you to think that our muscle isn't enough to put up a building, you may try to excise us from they body your attempting to create.

TO: The Anti-Librarian Confrence (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Constantine sits in what has become his usual seat at these meetings. He sits and listens, letting those committing large numbers of troops discuss the tactics

TO: Church of Neposh
    Spoiler
    Show

We are indeed starting a school, with the help of the Technists. We hope to provide an education to the working classes of the city, allowing the average man to learn to keep up with his money, run a business, and plan investments. It will, with luck, also work as a stepping stone to more prestigious schools such as the main campus of the Technist's schools, or your own for our more magically talented students.

On the Council - Public
    Spoiler
    Show

The council was elected at an open meeting, where anyone who wished to have a say in their new government was allowed entrance. The Blackfists, perhaps the most anti-government agency the city, even managed to attend. From those who showed enough interest in the well being of their city to attend, a council was nominated by their peers of the group, and elected by majority of those who appeared. We cannot do any more to get a city wide government short of kidnapping people and forcing them to vote. While I'm sure the Blackfists would like very much to do something so blatantly heinous and criminal, those of us who advocate a REAL government for the city, obviously, would have been adverse to this. Once the city is under control again, the council will meet and decide the future of the city's government, at what will almost certainly be ANOTHER meeting OPEN TO ALL. If you have a problem with the way the government is shaping up, WHY DON'T YOU SHOW UP AND CONTRIBUTE.

-The Ram
    Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2012-09-12 at 05:20 PM.

Go Tigers!

30. - Top - End - #780

Anti-Librarian Conference

Spoiler
    Show
    A man in a rather faded and dusty looking white coat and linen shirt walks in, smiling. He has a walking stick that seems to be a re-purposed piece of thin copper pipe and holds an apple in the other hand, juggling it up and down, whistling.. On one shoulder, he has sown a black leather symbol depicting a crudely drawn fist.
    Apart from that, he is relatively nondescript. Human, late twenties, brown hair, medium height, slender, callused hands, stubble.

He takes a bite and looks around at the room, appreciatively prodding at some of the furniture with his stick.

"This would make for some nice stealing, I think."
    He leans against a wall, lazily.
    "Anyway, this is where we discuss how to kill the librarian, yeah?"

Rebutal to the council:
    The blackfist has a lot of interest in the well-being of the city and it's inhabitants. Perhaps more than most factions in this city, and we are very active about it. We just have other ideas on how to achieve it.
    Even when the council was first formed, and we attended that meeting, we made our case for why we would not consider this council legitimate. These reasons still stand.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-09-12 at 05:08 PM.