New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Total War: Broken City

The Champions of Sovereignty

To the Ram Revolution [4]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Let's talk about the compromises that'll get you to support me for the throne. I'll start with just some good common sense. An independent intelligence division, whose sole purpose is to investigate the government and reveal any corruption or abuse of the people."

To the Sovereign Guilds [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    James smiles, and reaches into his shirt, taking out a packet of papers.

"I came prepared."

He passes each guild representative a copy which reads along the lines of the following;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Declare all the major factions in the city a sovereign power, and give each sovereign power a sovereign duty.

Divide the cities power equally between all the major factions, shuffling things around as necessary according to each factions sovereign duty"

The division of territory goes as follows;

HeavensGate: Silversmiths
    Triumphage Untima: Bloodhaven
    Smokeyards: Gear's Chosen
    Runner's City: The Order of the Wren
    Stacks: Merchantile Guild
    Spicers Circle: The Wardens
    Lomb Circle: House Laurier
    Gilded: Sausage Guild
    Blacksage: Esoteric Society
    Oldtown: House Wallen
    Sky: House Wallen
    Palace: Champions of Sovereignty

And the division of responsibility is:

Heladuit Court: Minister of Finance, responsible for the restoration of the cities economy, and assisting with restoration of the military, spy network and magic academies.

Blackfist Brotherhood: Minister of Public welfare, responsible for the well-being of the citizenry.

EBSA: Minister of Bureaucracy. Sub-minister of Public welfare, responsible for the maintaining the law.

Bloodhaven: Governor of Triumphage Untima, and sub-minister of public welfare, responsible for public health.

The Wardens: Governors of Spicers Circle, and part of the permanent military force of the nation, responsible for restoring order to the rest of the nation, and protecting it from outside threats

House Laurier: Governors of Lomb Circle. Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Esoteric Society: Governors of Blacksage, and sub-minister of public welfare, responsible for education.

The Exchange: Sub-minister of finance, helping the minister rebuild the nations economy.

House Wallen: Governors of Sky and Oldtown.

Mercantile Guild: Governor of the Stacks. Sub-minister of Finance.

Militia of Order and Justice: Head of the City Watch. Part of the permanent military force.

Order of the Wren: Governor of Runner's City. Part of the City Watch.

The Ram Revolution: Head of the Independent Anti-Corruption Division, Responsible for identifying corruption in all levels of the government, countering fraud, embezzlement and protecting the people from abuse.

Sausage Guild: Governors of Gilded. Subminister of Finance.

Technist Guild: Minister of Science, responsible for scientific progress.

The Gear's Chosen: Governors of Smokeyards. sub-minister of Science.

United Alliance of Labour: Subminister of Finance.

The Silversmiths Guild: Governors of Heavensgate. Sub-minister of Finance

The Champions of Sovereignty: King of the Nation.

"That's the basics of it. Your thoughts and opinions please. There's plenty of room for flexibility if you don't like your own duties, or think someone would be better suited to a particular task."
    Last edited by razovor; 2012-09-12 at 05:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears Chosen (8)

To the Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for the delay in response, paperwork is still a bit unsettled around here. At the moment I'm speaking of a more general agreement, considering how tied up both our resource bases are.

To be blunt, the Gears Chosen have no real care for any overall government, and so I feel that we should reach agreement with one of the major contenders to become the political leader of the city. And so, Your Majesty, you of course spring to mind as someone who understands the importance of our work and would be willing to let us continue undisturbed in it as long as appropriate support to the crown is given. Am I mistaken?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution:

TO: Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show

I think that this will go similarly to me asking your what it would take for you to renounce your title, but I will try anyway:

If the Revolution would support anyone for the throne, they would be a king in name only. The King may keep rights such as the christening of ships, laying the keystone to a new building, etc. Perhaps the king may even be gifted the tie-breaking vote in the Parliament. But the government of the city must be in the hands of the people, not of a king, and ALL citizens of the city, including the monarch, would be expected to follow it's laws. Even one who was raised among the people as you have. Somehow I doubt you would wish to be a king in name only - you would be given all the annoyances - no private life, for instance - but none of the benefits other than the title. You would simply be another citizen who happened to live in the biggest house. But we absolutely will not support yet another tyrant over our city, not in the new form of the word, but the original use of tyrant - one who rules without being voted as ruler.

Which raises another possibility. We have no care as to what our elected leader is called. Come to the writing of the constitution, and press for the leader to be called "king". Then run and win. For the duration of your term, you are free to call yourself King of Sav Altulas.

A transparent government, by the way, will be necessary no matter what form it takes.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Explination of ealier phamplet
    Spoiler
    Show

Lokk, we're scientists, not polticians. Our meyaphor was that the nobles could only channel the lower classes, and were useless otherwise. The only reason we compared the commons to fuel, is that have you ever tried to power a device without some form of power source? Without some form of power, the commons, the system is so much scrap metal.

The SGA meeting (PM)
    Matt Rosen snorts, and shakes his head.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Now, on behalf of my guild I do have a question reguarding the Gears Chosen. More to the point, we're better established in the smokes, and we've disturbed the peace a bit less then they have.

Now, on the second thing I noticed. Now, personally, I know some level of bribery is acceptable in poltics. Seems that four of us here would be district governers, but house Wallen gets twice the work load. So, just out wondering, what they offer?
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Gears Chosen (4)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That sounds like a perfectly acceptable deal. Might I ask to be kept updated on the general direction of your works?"

To the Sovereign Guilds: (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The plans makes house Wallen governor of two districts, but grants no other responsibilities. Their power would be reduced to match that of the other powers, with the influence they'll gain from those districts in mind.

We could certainly change that, but who do we give the governorship to? Sky only has House Wallen and the Esoteric Society, and the Esoteric Society already governs Blacksage.

Oldtown has the EBSA who don't want to govern anywhere. The Church of Neposh we can't include for the separation of the state and religion. The Blackfist we don't trust with the governorship, and the Ram won't accept it. Perhaps the Militia? Though they may also refuse it.

As to the Gear's chosen, I simply thought you would want to concentrate on your scientific works. You would make a better choice, so we'll change that."

To the Ram Revolution [4]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I appreciate your honesty, but you're really not trying to compromise."

To the Anti-Librarian Conference
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If we're going to be fighting in dogma again, should we be directing efforts towards rebuilding the neighbourhood quite yet? Anything we fix will get destroyed almost immediately."

"I'll personally contribute my money to provide for the refugee's and the wounded. What little money I actually have. I hope my military contribution is sufficient to compensate for that."

6. - Top - End - #786
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mendicant Necromancers to Gear's Chosen (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

The bodies that lie here from eras past are old, and do not remember being alive. Our work is easier with younger bones and fresher meat. Your plan will keep us supplied with both, while making the city think us gone. As plans go, it is a good one.

UAL to Gear's Chosen (2)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Isolated?" Dennis puts on a very bad impression of being shocked. "You got us all the wrong way round. The two of us, we don't need ta get in each other's way. We take care of those what do the working and you take care of those what do whatever it is you do." He chuckled. "When yous first came up inta da factories, some of my boys was worried, I'll admit, but I told 'em, boys, anyone can be reasoned wit. An' yous are lookin' like a reasonable elf, am I right? We ain't gonna steal your work or whatever it is you's so paranoid about, but if you's thinking for a second dat you can run things widout us greasing da works..." The Union boss grins. "You dead wrong."

Dreumont to Gear's Chosen (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

Simply ask of us what you desire, and we will see what can be done.

puppyavenger (GM PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Cedar: Yes, unless you managed to gain the Verdan Contacts trait.

To Wardens (Jungle Contacts PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Factions that may be reached with this trait: Too many tribes to count.

Things that may be acquired/hired: Painted elf mercenaries, shadow elves, poisons with no known antidote, colorful birds, and other jungley stuff.

To Wardens (Arun Contacts PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Factions that may be reached with this trait: Ensigarim, Rosharn Vendetta, Hath City-State, the Restless Orders; possibly others.

Things acquired/hired: Ensigarim assassins, Rosharn talismans, living masks, needles, time-distortion magic.

Further Explanation: The Rosharn Vendetta

The Rosharn Vendetta is a rather strange example of Arunian magic and conspiracy. The Vendetta sells talismans, simple gold discs with a tiger claw engraved on them, for mind-bogglingly high prices (50 WEL). The talisman represents a promise by the Vendetta to kill anyone who kills the person wearing it. The usual myth is that shortly after the murder of someone wearing a Rosharn talisman, a cloaked figure with tiger paws for hands will step up behind the killer and cut their throat without anyone noticing (which draws the obvious question of how anyone knows they have tiger hands, but no one has really been able to answer that one).

If a Rosharn talisman is stolen or lost, the metal will turn black and begin to corrode rapidly over the course of several days. The person who originally purchased it will find a new one on their person when the old one has completely turned to dust.

Lodstrom Internal Council (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

To this, at last, there is much cheering. "Here here!" is the general reaction.

Delathion to Church of Neposh (7)
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, that may be so, but I have nothing against the Militia on principle. In fact, they seem eminently suited to the task of patrolling the streets. Can you not simply build your churches and teach your faith while they deal with criminals?

Carriage Houses to EBSA (4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Not much. 1 WEL per 2 MIL transported, is all, considering the dire need you've got for those troops.

OOC: Basically, this will allow you to negate the Distant penalty.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

To the SGA (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "This is a very orderly list. Clearly it splits the city apart and gives many factions a part in the new government. Very neat, very tidy, very uninformative and vague. In short meaningless, all form and no substance."

"What does a governor do. What are their responsibilities, what are their rights?"

"Why is there a minister and five subministers of finance, and four misters of public welfare, but only two of science and one of foreign affairs. Finance and public affair should be the most centralized offices for efficiency not the least."

"Why should The Sausage Guild submit to being the governor of Gilded when we are well on our way to controlling it already. For that matter why should House Laurier, the Wardens, or Bloodhaven do so when they are just as well established. Why give up the freedom to act independently for the dubious honors of an official title."

"In short this plan is well enough for putting you in charge, but what does it do for my guild."
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2012-09-12 at 07:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution

To: Champions of Sovereignty:
    Spoiler
    Show

In some, even most things, compromise is good. However, we are a group of people united by our belief in democracy. Not monarchy, pseudo-democracy, not a democratic oligarchy, not tyranny, not a theocracy, not a magocracy, not anarchism, not communism. We would compromise, and let nobles still call themselves "Lord". We would compromise, and let their be a state-church, so long as people are not forced to worship it. We would compromise, and watch another faction become the rulers of our cities democracy. But there are things that we MUST not compromise on: 1) All permanent residents of the city are citizens. 2) All citizens of legal majority, male or female, land-owning or poor, have the right to vote, either directly on an issue, or for a representative who will vote for them. 3) No real power may be held by anyone other than the people, or those that THE PEOPLE place in power.

That being said, after some thought, it has come to my attention that technically, there is one way you could become a hereditary king, with powers, and have us follow you without a problem:

In the eventual election, get the people to elect you ruler. Then hold another vote, so that they grant you an unlimited term, and then another where they let your eventual son become king without a vote after you. Then a final election where they invest in you whatever power it is that you want. Then you can be king and pass it on, though you would still have to answer to the parliament to exercise any powers they did not expressly give you.

However, seeing how tired the people are of being ruled by tyrants, I doubt that will happen. We won't prevent you from trying however, which is the miracle of freedom. Feels nice, doesn't it?

Go Tigers!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

Esoteric Society of Gentkeman Explorers [6]

strategy meeting 2 [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the time being, we should focus our monetary efforts on aiding refugees, yes. Now, wh used our shipment of Null bombs up last month against the librarian, so she is a greater threat than ever. We need to somehow lure her into a place where wh are at an advantage. I propose constructing semi-permanant antimagic perimeters in spesific tactical locations and directing the fighting there, rather than setting them up when fighting starts; this will lend them greater effect as their construction can be more measured and mediated.
    We must focus on the librarian and the Shaker Magi; the cult and the yellow court are no longer a threat.

In addition, we must all be wary of MU spies.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

10. - Top - End - #790
    Colossus in the Playground

New caricature:

A boy,with a wooden crown on his head, is bent over a little girl with a Sav Altulas crest on her shoulder. He is looking up with a petulant expression on his face at a ram-headed man who stands there, naked and muscular like the statue of an ancient god, holding a knife out of the boy's reach.
    "How about we compromise!", says the caption. "I will only stab her a few times!"
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

The Sausage Guild

To the Dove (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm well the point of the magic was to make counterfeiting the coins extremely difficult. We do not however wish to waste our time chasing paths that are better left abandoned. If you have any ideas on how to improve the value and purity of money without resorting to magic we would be more than happy to hear them. Your expertise on the subject is why we contacted you in the first place.

To the Exchange
    Spoiler
    Show
    We were unaware of how thoroughly you controlled the currency. Our fellow guilds led us to believe that there was some sort of problem. The specifics were not stated, but they implied rampant counterfeiting and too many types of currency confusing the exchange system. We would like to hear your thoughts on this.

To the Ansigaris (and EBSA)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please inform the EBSA of the situation in Guild's Row. While we agree that the Mages Ubiquitous are a terrible threat, they are not the only one. And the infiltrators we are currently hunting are far more insidious. The mages at least attack in the open, whoever these foreign infiltrators are they fight from the shadows hiding their identities from retribution. However once we deal with them we are more than willing to support you in supporting the EBSA against the Librarian and her cohorts.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Response to Blackfist caricature:

A similar picture, clearly drawn in imitation, depicts the same image, except the Ram headed man is replaced by a man draped in shadow, with only a black hand grasping a bloody dagger showing. The small child with the crest has several stab wounds already, and the hand is moving in for yet another strike. There is no caption (I doubt one is needed)

Go Tigers!

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears Chosen (8)

To Mendicant Necromancers (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joshua smiles thinly as an agreement is reached Wonderful. I don't suppose you could provide a few ineffectual zombies to chase me to the Temples so I can "present my case"?

(assuming yes)

To Temples of the Mendicant Fields
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arriving, harried by whatever the Necromancers deign to chase him with, Joshua finds himself banging on the gates of a temple, calling for sanctuary

To the UAL
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joshua leans back and takes a sip of water before replying I'm glad you believe us reasonable, and I feel we are talking past each other to a degree. As far as I am concerned, you are by far the most useful group at making things work in the Smokeyards without any unfortunate incidents, and we do not see any reason to disrupt that. We merely wish to make a large commission of work from the underdocks, and experience form our time in the stacks has taught us that some may try to pilfer our secrets. Would a small bodyguard to accompany our Designers be acceptable at least? I assure you, we will make sure the wheels are very well greased.

To Dreumont
    Spoiler
    Show

Joshua laid out a map of the District, highlighting Old Jacks Run and Icy Mount At the moment we will simply focus on definitively forcing them out of Icy Mount and perhaps making some inroads into Jacks Run. The Pyramid and support elements will aid you in this.

Your frost magic actually works well with the Pyramid. Ice reflects after all, and some of your skilled mages will be able to focus the cleansing light even further and to greater destructive heights. Assuming that our support tilts the balance in your favour well and we're able to push them out of Icy Mount, we'll focus any offensive on main streets where the Pyramids power is easiest to bring to bear, and obliterate any gang hideouts or safe houses within easy reach. With your full support we'll be able to harry them all across the border while we do this, either letting us gain ground everywhere as they try to face the main push, or letting us clear the main roads of Jacks Run easily.

There may be some unfortunate collateral damage, but I can't say much of that blighted neighbourhood is really worth preserving.

To GM (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, okay then. Well, diplomatic missives away!

To Cedar Cabal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hail, your support thus far has been extremely appreciated, and we know that we cannot rely on your complete one sided support to accomplish mutual goals.

Despite this, we hope our relationship may lead to certain mutually beneficial outcomes. At this moment, our Designers are woefully unskilled at the sort of mass production necessary to arm our regular forces for real conflict. We recognize that you are not a charity, but hope that we can arrange a preferred rate in return for our complete loyalty in all such matters of commerce to you.

As a sign of good faith, please find attached [1 WEL] as the first instalment of a partial payment, the rest to be delivered once we are made aware how much that will be

Signed Joshua

From the Desk of Marius Van Ryan

To the Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the moment we await the delivery of many of our designs from our former residence, but the Grand Designer is currently looking for ways to establish quick and safe transport along the River for the Chosen negotiators, due to our present location. In addition to certain ideas involving harnessing the power of the Heavens I'm not currently privy too.

To the Ram Revolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we are still fully capable of supporting your efforts in the Pits this month, we fear that our contribution will be largely token at this point. We appreciate that our reputation means that such a small force may do more to harm your position then help it, and so we can offer to instead deploy a much more substantial force next month if you'd prefer. Assuming all other aspects of the deal remain equal.

(OOC: I can give you 1 MIL support in the Pits this month, or 3 next Month if its still relevant. your choice
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2012-09-12 at 09:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

14. - Top - End - #794

The Heladuit Court

D. Esp: 4

*Markus Heladuit reads over the pamphlets that someone left in the lounge of the Heladuit's mansion.*

"Mhm.... ahh, yes, yes. It's all so clear.

The writers of these are all idiots."

*Markus immediately sets about finding someone to transcribe his words, then hires some trash off of the streets to copy it down en masse. The copies are given out throughout the city by well dressed commoners.*

Response [public]
    Spoiler
    Show

It must be stated that the unfortunate miscreants and ne'er-do-wells of this city never cease in their slander of the upper classes. Nobility have earned their right to rule time and time again by virtue of being better at it, it's quite clear really. Compare the man or woman next to you to me. I am better than them. I not only have a better education than them, but was also born better than them. The fact that a discussion about "right to rule" has even gone on this long without mentioning me or at least my family name is indeed somewhat preposterous, but we'll ignore that for now. What is important right now (to you, at least), is that you would do well to recognize those of superior social status as superior to you. Odds are, they are.

All of that said, I cannot put down my pen without clearing up one nagging mistake that everyone on each side of your argument tends to be making. Nobility do have a right to their position of power and wealth, but by no means a right rule. That right belongs to royalty. So next time you talk about who you think should rule, you are entitled to your (likely uneducated) opinion. When you speak of who has the right to it, you speak of a select few.

To The Brotherhood of the Flowering Rose [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

*Meredia takes a bite of apple-stuffed duck and chases it down with a blue colored wine of unknown origin. After a few moments, she begins to speak again.*

"Oh, but do tell me of yourself. It would be ungracious of me to visit you and break bread with you, and leave knowing little more about you. Tell me of you, your people, your neighborhood, your brotherhood. I'm dying to know!"

*Meredia's voice tapered off at a high note as she finished speaking, her smile and bright attitude half because she enjoyed meeting people, and half because their was more duck.*
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2012-09-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Making tenses consistent
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution:

TO: Gears Chosen
    Spoiler
    Show

Next month would be fine. We can use this month to prepare. Thank you for being willing to offer so much - many in the city would have only sent the token force, breaking the spirit of our deal if not the letter; or nothing at all, breaking the deal entirely.

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears Chosen (8)

To Ram Revolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our efforts require peaceful workers and social harmony to accomplish at an acceptable speed, and so we have no wish for such a hive of villainy to exist so near our sanctums. Beyond that, well as they say you should never break a deal with a well-armed neighbour, and I see no reason why our ideologies must be opposed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

EBSA (7)

To the Anti-Librarian Conference
    Spoiler
    Show
    The carriages have agreed to bring soldiers to the front lines if they happen to be distant at 1 wealth per 2 military transported.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

mercantile's guild

champions
    Spoiler
    Show
    while i cannot exactly hand over the bridge at this moment since my own operations depend upon it, but once the projects finish up then i may turn over the bridge.

SGA[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    General Brador read over the papers and sighed. [color="red"]well, on top of the concerns and comments thesausage guild brought up i have a few questions.

1) what about the gears-chosen? i will be blunt. i dont exactly trust them as they have made it no secret that they would prefer the mercantile's guild gone due to our supposedly heretical "faith" in money converting their faithful. there is also the matter of this weapon of theirs. it has the potential to cause great destruction.

2) we personally have nothing against them but is the blackfist brotherhood really right for minister of public affairs? they are anarchists after all.

19. - Top - End - #799

The Dove to Sausage Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, I will admit that magic is not my specialty, and that it could very well be possible to use it in the creation of hard-to-counterfeit coins--note that I say "hard," not "impossible"--but I am more comfortable with the methods that I know. Intricate design work, different on both sides, with milling on the edges is what you want here. Perhaps a unique shape as well. Something that would be impossible to reproduce accurately except by very specific machines, or by spending several months work by hand, is the intent. As for the metal itself, you are going to have to have a tradeoff between purer gold, which can easily be tested for quality (because it is soft and has a delightfully unique density), or an alloy of gold, copper and tin that will be less easy to test for falseness and be worth slightly less per coin due to the lesser metals, but which will last longer. There are near unlimited choices available to the discerning coiner.

If you want to look at some examples, Imperial coins are rather easy to fake. They have big coins, because they alloy them with other metals to make them wear less but want them to have the same worth as Merdallan coinage, which gives a clever man a lot of space to work with. Imperial crowns are a stable currency mainly because the Chancery tends to treat counterfeiting the same way it does treason; otherwise, they'd have just as many counterfeit marks as the Shattered Lands do. On the opposite side of the scale, and something far more likely to be replicated here, we have the Waterman gold link. Soft gold, so they can be checked for purity easily with scales or a simple knife, but cast into a complex shape that makes it hard to slip a lead core into them (if you have ever seen a gold link, you will note that it looks somewhat like a normal coin with a bite taken out of each side). The beauty of the links is that anyone can make them and have them be considered legal tender, so long as they are cast into the correct shape and have the correct purity of gold. The shape itself is possibly the cleverest design I have ever had the pleasure of seeing--it helps prevent counterfeiting, as I said, and it also allows the coins to be hooked together into loose chains to make high-end transactions easier. Truly a masterpiece.

Granted, if you wanted to create something like that, you would have to have access to the Mint, or an equivalent, and I would imagine that the Exchange is rather heavily invested in the current system.

The Exchange to Sausage Guild (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

We too have heard these rumors, and must admit that there is some truth to them, but I would like to personally assure you that the situation is under control. Sav Altulas has the most stable coinage in the Shattered Lands precisely because of our constant efforts to remove counterfeit and foreign coinage from the market and replace it with our own properly minted coins. Up until recently those new coins bore the mark of the sorceress, but now that she is dead we would be willing to accept suggestions for the next design--though I personally am in favor of patience, to see who comes out on top of the current power struggles. Wouldn't do to put a man's face on a coin only to have him lose the game of thrones.

Brotherhood of the Flowering Rose to Heladuit Court (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

We are the Brotherhood of the Flowering Rose, though I must admit the name has a more ironic feel since we started allowing Sisters among our number. We are those who understand the holy nature of imagery, specifically the symbol of the open rose. It is an emblem that has marked history, not because the men who raised it were great men, but because the rose gave them power. It is a mythic sign, under which the Illarym Empire has grown and prospered, under which the Knights of the Blackened Rose won victory after victory, and under which the merchant ships of the Bloodrose grew fat with gold. Everywhere it goes, the symbol, the holy image, brings prosperity and leaves glory in its wake.

Mendicant Necromancers to Gear's Chosen (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

The smile that follows is entirely too delighted at the prospect of setting undead on Joshua.

"Certainly." A snap of the fingers and the ghouls are up, and running.

Orsag's Temple Lodge: Gear's Chosen (7)
    Spoiler
    Show

"The Guardian offers sanctuary to all, child," says a lay priest in full plate armor, shoving Joshua through the door behind him. "I will be with you shortly, once I have dealt with this trash."

UAL to Gear's Chosen (2)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Yeah, sure," says Dennis. "You's got your overseer types looking after things, dat's no problem. Dat's standard. All we's take care of is da workers, aight? Long as da union dues are bein' paid we ain't got a problem wid dem, and as long as we don' get too many complaints down at the Union Office we don' have a problem wid you."

Dreumont to Gear's Chosen (7)
    Spoiler
    Show

Wonderful. Wonderful. Truly, you are a gift from the gods, my friend.
    Last edited by Zemalac; 2012-09-12 at 11:14 PM.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Sausage Guild

To the Dove (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    How much would you require in time and resources to produce prototype designs of various coins. We would like three types. One of relative complex shape but long lasting. One of a less complex shape, but of pure gold, and one that is as nearly perfect as you can make in terms of both difficulty to forge and purity.

To the Exchange
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would you be willing to work with us in the design of a new currency. The specifics as to the man whose face appears on the coin can wait, but in the meantime work could be done on producing a coin that is difficult to forge, but easy for the mint to produce.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears Chosen (8)

To Orsag's Temple Lodge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that the undead are easily dealt with Joshua looks at his savior with a mixture of gratitude and terror Thank You very much good Sir, you've surely saved my life and soul.

I had heard rumours of Necromancers active in this blessed field, but I would not have thought they would be so powerful or brazen to attack a messenger.

Looking somewhat flustered, he continues Perhaps I should introduce myself, I am Joshua, messenger and administrator of the Gears Chosen, the sect you've almost certainly has recently arrive on the border of these fields.

I'll be frank, our religions have many differences, and my superiors in the order would probably find dealing with you distasteful, but you've just proved your virtue and utility beyond all doubts, and the necromancers are an obvious threat to the harmonious workings of the Cosmos.

I'm the most high-ranking member of the Chosen not constantly ensconced in the factories, and if you'll accept our help, I'd like to commit a Detachment of troops along with however many Designers I can rouse to hunt down this menace.

To the UAL
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joshua smiles and attempts to shake Denis' hand, saying wonderful, the Designers, guards and paychests should be here within the week. I'm glad we could come to such a reasonable arrangement.

On other business, there will be several Detachments of troops coming through to deal with certain troublemakers further along the River. I guarantee they won't make trouble and I hope this won't be a problem.

To Dreumont
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just ensure all your forces are gathered, and we'll show these thugs and madmen the folly of their ways!
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

22. - Top - End - #802

NinjaGuy

To the Ram
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry, but I was wondering when I gave the impression that I don't want nobles to be accountable to the law and the public.

And about hospitals, you should ask Doctor Vassari.

How may we help the lower neighbourhoods if their own authorities close the doors to us?

Setting discussions aside, I have an honest proposal.

Once the Librarian is dealt with, I wish to start talks to establish a new constitution.
    This can't be done by the council alone; we will need to create consense.

I can bring most of the wealthy part of town, you can bring most of the poor part.
    I believe it's the only way to prevent a tragedy.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution:

TO: House Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show

I did not intend to sound rude, and apologize if that is how I came across. However, the building of a school and clinic is the first step in a long journey that the people of this city are setting out on, and it is a step they must take own their own. They have been being told that they can better themselves, and now they are proving it - not just to the rest of the city but to themselves. In the future, we will be more willing to accept aid. Right now, however, if we were to accept your help, there would always be the nagging doubt of if we really could manage it solely with the working class. This will show that we could, but for the good of the city we took a path that led to stability quicker.

The constitutional convention, however, we would be more than willing to attend. Were you planning on it being a job done by the council, or a more open/select group?

TO: Anti-Librarian League:
    Spoiler
    Show

a scruffy looking kid, no more than 16, walks up to the doorman of the ESGE's headquarters, and hands him a note. "From the Ram, with his regrets". The note is as follows:
    "Sorry for my absence, but I'm afraid something has come up in Runners City that demands my attention at the moment. However, I will ensure that 2 MIL are carried to the front lines by the carriages, to be placed under the order of the league for use in whatever plan you concoct.
    -The Ram
    Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2012-09-13 at 12:14 AM.

Go Tigers!

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Vasari to Mercantile Guild [4]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I propose, that the Diplomatic Corps is sent to Verdan to negotiate their support for Aeroyard in Sav Altulas, so we expand our trade routes.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

25. - Top - End - #805

Esoteric Society [6]

Anti-librarian [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, brilliant! Now, if any do not have enough disposable funds to spare or are sending very larhe amounts of troops, I would be happy to pick up the cost. I would rather spend the money helping the refugees, so please ask only if absolutely necessary, though.

[OOC]: Good thinking! Last time distance lost us a lot of potential firepower.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

26. - Top - End - #806
    Colossus in the Playground

Anti-Librarian Front*
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, oh yes." The Blackfist man takes another bite of his apple. "We can send, oh, a few hundred men, I should suppose. Trained at squad-level urban infiltration and guerilla warfare mostly, I admit. But still quite able. If someone were to spring the money for transportation, I'm sure they'd be glad if they didn't have to walk."

[We can send quite a bit of military when the time comes. 6 points, at least.]

*Why do we sound like Nazi book-burners?

Public Challenge

"The nobles claim their offspring are born superior. Well, then. How about they prove it? We propose a challenge!
    Dispossess your children. Send them to an orphanage in the pits. Let them find their own schooling, if a public school takes them in. Don't hire them in any of your businesses, let them beg and start their own businesses from scratch. Give them no help. Let us see if they still turn out the brightest of the bright in ten years.
    Instead, provide scholarships to the most extraordinary minds, those that proof themselves talented. After all, those will surely be your children under this system."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-09-13 at 06:26 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

To the Mercantile Guild [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((Not sure whether I'm catching your representative after the meeting, or passing you a message during it. Either way;))

"I'm going to be honest with you, because I really want this to work. The wardens have told me they plan to attack you. They think you are a threat to the citizenry. They say you're growing too rapidly, 'expanding aggressively' as they put it. They think your co-operation with the warlords is tantamount to treason against the city."

"This deal with the traitors bridge is my compromise. I'm giving up my own resources for this. I need this to work. I'm not going to see innocent people hurt."

To House Wallen [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((Yes, a new VIP, and I'll pay with money))

King James smiles, and is about to speak, when he sees a messenger approaching. He gracefully accepts the message, throwing the boy a dime for his work, and reads slowly. After a minute he puts the message away and sighs.

"What in Sav Altulas name is your house doing!? You want the people to have power, fine! I want accountability as much as you do. I am open to all suggestions, but why in god's name are you trying to work with the Ram Revolution!?"

"You swore to support me, and now your words are giving credence to the Ram's madness"

"Do you not realise they are the enemy of nobility? That they will never, never, accept anything less than complete democracy? You want a balanced system, you come to me!"

28. - Top - End - #808

NinjaGuy

To King James [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, my, Your Majesty, of course we know that!
    We also know that the populace follows them!

We can ally ourselves with the guilds, but that will not be enough. We don't have enough leverage to build a government alone for now.

But we can beat them at their own game. We are nobles, after all!!

We need the people to love us first, fear us next, so they will vote for us and not for them. And the Party acutally means to have a House of Cmmons of some sort, to stop people like the Heladuits from being the fools they are.

For that to work, we need Your Majesty on top, we in the middle, and they on the bottom.

When the time comes, they will comply. I'm sure that Henry's proposal of a constitutional comitee has already sweetened their thoughts.

Let them talk, we'll take the power when it''s time.

For now, we need to worry about the Blackfists and others."

OOC: I'll see what can I do. I can't promise anything for this turn, but I'm sure I can get you your new VIP on next one.
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-09-13 at 10:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809

The Dove to Sausage Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Of resources, not much. I already have everything I would need at hand. Of time, perhaps two months?

The Exchange to Sausage Guild (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

Certainly, though I am unsure what you see wrong with the current currency.

Orsag's Temple Lodge to Gear's Chosen (8)
    Spoiler
    Show

The armored priest smiled. "My child, it is the right and duty of every man to fight demons in the night. If you believe you can destroy them, then you have my blessing and that of the Guardian himself, but I must warn you that these peddlers of dark magic are a very persistent lot."

UAL to Gear's Chosen (2)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Ain't no problem atall," says Dennis, shaking Joshua's hand with the firm and honest grip of the born liar. "Everyone moves people and boxes trou da Underdocks. We jus' supply da bodies ta help 'em do it."

Dreumont to Gear's Chosen (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

Gears Chosen (8)

To Temple Lodge
    Spoiler
    Show
    They will surely run like rats, but if some escape we will drive them from the fields and commit to guarding against their return
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2012-09-13 at 10:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp