New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Broken City

To House Wallen[5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dai? I had thought nothing of it. I see no reason to trouble yourself with our society's expansion. We will care for our own.

OOC: Uh, Lodstrom is not actually adjacent to Daisong Palace; if you tried to take it you'd be at a penalty anyway.

Lord Jove, To BlackJack Boys [5?]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sirs,

As I have watched for the last month, it has come to my attention that the university, which was once a noble establishment devoted to the betterment of the world and the spreading of knowledge, has become openly hostile and is using it's knowledge of magic to lay claim to the surrounding area. As you are adept at defending from magical assault and you occupy one of the few neighborhoods between the nobility in the Sky district and this threat to the public well-being, I would like to offer my support and funding for the betterment of your organisation.

As you are a vital establishment protecting us from the tragically fallen menace that the University has become, I and several other noble households would like to provide support for your organisation, both financially and politically, so that your vigilance may be rewarded.

Aberham Pontiss, To Bookbinder's Guild [5?]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sirs

I have always had an interest in books and print, and have recently taken an interest in the spreading of news. Would it be possible for me to visit and see for myself the process by which the The Sav Altulas Standard is run?

Sincerely,
    Aberham Pontiss
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution

TO: Technist Guild (D ESP 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't worry, either nothing will happen, or the majority of their forces will be south, leaving you free to take the northern factories. That would surely help with your dirigible project. At worst, nothing happens, and at best you gain a territory.

Good luck with your inventions, and I hope the recent explosions didn't harm anyone too severely.

Go Tigers!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Margaret Hearthfeather to Church of Neposh [Private]
    Spoiler
    Show

An old woman arrives at the Underchurch, surrounded by Hearthfeather family guards. This is what she tells you.

The Greycloaks guarding the Wrekan estates are a force of [+++ MIL]. The Wrekans actually attacking the Hearthfeathers are more in number, but less well trained, giving them a similar [+++ MIL]. The Hearthfeathers had the same last month, but most of their guards have been killed, giving them [+ MIL]. The old woman lays this out for you very plainly, obviously desperate for assistance.

Underwood Family to Silversmith's Guild (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

We have no interest in driving out the Silviat Family--our relationship with them is quite cordial, with the obvious exception of the Games, which can be delightfully brutal.

Drover's Associations to Champions of Sovereignty (ESP-D 2)
    Spoiler
    Show

If ye like. Be warned, though, the feuds here run deep, and yer as like to get yerself lost in 'em as ye are to help things any.

Party Meeting (House Wallen) (Private)
    Spoiler
    Show

"I don't like it. Giving Heavensgate people pretensions of nobility can't end well, in my opinion. But your right in that Old Face and Risen Court won't join us, and old Founder is too fond of his Society to join any other party. I'd suggest we not allow the common folk on the council, myself, but I can't see any way around getting them to support our causes."

Blackjack Boys to Lord Jove (ESP-D 5)
    Spoiler
    Show

Aye milord, that's right kind of you. We've been keeping an eye on old Daimot, never you fear. Though at the moment we've got a bit more of a problem with MU Sifters trying to sneak through the neighborhood. Damn mages have never heard of Traitor's Bridge, apparently.

Bookbinder's Guild to Aberham Pontiss (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Certainly, sir. We would be honored to host such a noble guest as yourself.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #154

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Librarian of the Elements
    Esp-D: 5

To: Silas Mok [Esp-D 4]
    Spoiler
    Show

Very well, then. I shall crush you as was previously indicated.

To: Scholar's Compass [Esp-D 2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Very well, then. Surely you won't mind if a few of my...servants were to investigate the rumors?

To: Zemalac [Esp-D ∞]
    Spoiler
    Show

Could I please get a description of the major factions within the Dogma?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Letter to King James I [4]
    Spoiler
    Show

Your Majesty

I can hardly provide any protection to you, as again I repeat myself, Bloodheaven isn’t a militant order. I’m prepared to exchange information, though I will not share information on my patients or anything told me in confidence, and we certainly can work on joint projects that benefit the city. As for official support of each other’s actions, I would rather avoid getting too involved in the politics, although I have no doubts, I would not be able to stay out of them completely. You can expect me to follow my conscious in what I support and what I decry, rather than political expediency.

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

Letter to Mercantile Guild [3]
    Spoiler
    Show

To Representative of the Mercantile Guild,

I would be interested in securing a loan to expand my hospital, but can you inform me of its terms. I take a long view in the financial matters and my policy was always to avoid entangling myself in obligations today, I’d be hard pressed to meet tomorrow.

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

To GM Only
    Spoiler
    Show

What is the reputation of the Peacocks? I mean they are criminals (and so is 50% of the city powers), but how ''evil'' are they in their practices and are there lines they won't cross?
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2012-07-24 at 05:30 AM.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

6. - Top - End - #156

NinjaGuy

House Wallen, D-Esp 8

To House Orthax
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings, Milord. I would like to ask you for an audience to discuss important matters.

Lord Henry Wallen, Patrician.

To House Beteoui
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings, Milord. I would like to ask you for an audience to discuss important matters.

To the Dwimmercant Families:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings. I would like to ask you for an audience to discuss important matters.

To Party Congress [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand, and partially agree. I'll think about a way around that.

On other plans; How would our unmarried party members feel about marrying into bigger families?
    That would increase our foothold in those neighbourhoods.

Just throwing expansion ideas here, no need to feel attacked.

To Doctor Vassari
    Spoiler
    Show
    My dear doctor, we must meet soon to discuss important matters about city health.

Lord Henry Wallen

Heladuit Court
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings. As Patrician of Lodstrom Party, I wold like to extend an offer for a strategic alliance, and ask for an audience with one of my associates.

Lord Henry Wallen

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Bloodhaven

Vassari read the letter from Lord Wallen and quickly composed an answer:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your grace,

I can schedule a meeting this evening and use this occasion to bring you a report on the construction of the new hospital wing.’’

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Morden Vassari

I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

8. - Top - End - #158

Church of Neposh

Message to the Silver smiths guild
    Spoiler
    Show

We are currently looking to purchase a large order of weapons. We are looking for the best deal in town, and as you are one of the best smiths it was a natural we come to you. What would you charge for these weaopns?
    (I pay you WEL for MIL)

Meeting with Margaret Hearthfeather (Private)
    Spoiler
    Show

We also need your current economic standing.

9. - Top - End - #159

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Silversmith's Guild

To the Church of Neposh
    Spoiler
    Show
    We apologize, but we deign not to craft weapons for battle -- we prefer the crafting of more elegant designs. My apologies once again.

10. - Top - End - #160

NinjaGuy

Lord Wallen - Dr Vassari [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen attended the meeting, and entered the Doctor's cabinet. He liked the looks of it.

"My dear doctor, we finally meet" He said while sitting down.
    "How is the hospital wing going? We must speak of the city's situation."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Lord Wallen/Dr. Vassari [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Dr. Vassari, wearing a clean suit, gloves and crisply fresh bandages concealing his face gave Lord Wallen a courtly bow.

''I’m glad to meet your grace as well. You donation was most welcome and the workers promise to finish it in the next month. I’m training a cadre of the new doctors to operate there. Honestly, I didn't thing you'd find time to personally visit me, with everything going in the city. Certainly, your time must be quite expensive these days.''

Vassari offers a bowl of fresh fruit to his guest. ''Please help yourself. They are quite fresh and beneficial for your health. I’d offer you some liquor, but as a rule I don’t keep any at work and I haven’t thought to bring a bottle for our meeting.''

As Lord Wallen settles himself into a comfortable chair, Doctor contiues. ''So what exactly did you wish to discuss about the situation in the city?'' His eyes, the one feature of his face visible to his guest grow serious.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

mercantile's guild

to doctor vasiri
    Spoiler
    Show
    i believe our terms are quite reasonable. i am prepared to send you a shipment of [6 wealth] this turn, to be paid back over 2 turns. every turn its late will result in a [1 wealth] interest fee. i am prepared to haggle of course

also as a gesture of good faith, i will be sending you [4 wealth] free of charge next turn.

to technists guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    i would like to meet with you privately to discuss business

13. - Top - End - #163

Silas Mok to Librarian of the Elements (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Fool. You could not defeat me during out last battle; how do you hope to defeat me now? Your arrogance is unfounded and unwarranted.

Should you choose to continue to fight me, however, and should by some bizarre coincidence you actually defeat me, know that I have friends in far places who are much more powerful than you. What you did to the Crimson Court was impressive, yes, but what they might do to you would shake you to your bones.

Scholar's Compass to Librarian of the Elements (ESP-D 2)
    Spoiler
    Show

'Course not, milady, so long as they don't get too intrusive. We're a private people hereabouts.

To NM020110 [Private]
    Spoiler
    Show

Calling any of the factions within Dogma "major" is giving them far too much credit. Currently, the Worshipful Society of the Spinning Globe is ahead of the pack, but they could be overtaken at any moment by the Golden Sons of God, the Red Hand, the Black Hand, the White Hand, the Order of Blind Vengeance, the Death-Cult of Duvan Ku, the Avadin Heresy, the servants of the Imperial Saint of Plenty (or Saint of Chains, Saint of Blood, Saint of Tyrants, or Saint of Hope), the Maltin Insurgency, the small but very determined chapel to the Imperial Mother Church, the Cult of the Worldbreaker, the Nine Gods' Chosen, or any of the dozen others.

To Thelonius [Private]
    Spoiler
    Show

The Peacocks have a bit of an odd reputation. Everyone likes them, and when they're breaking the law they make a point of doing it in a way that no one gets hurt. They take care of their girls. However, no one really wants to be associated with them because of what they do, and they have a tendency towards extreme and occasionally lethal sarcasm when they think someone is disrespecting them.

House Orthax to House Wallen (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Certainly. How does lunch sound?

-Louis Orthax

House Beteoui to House Wallen (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course! I look forward to speaking with you.

-Isabella Erhest Beteoui III

The Dwimmercant Families to House Wallen (ESP-D 8)
    Spoiler
    Show

We know what you're after, lad. Let's talk. Might be we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement, aye?

Party Congress (House Wallen)(Private)
    Spoiler
    Show

Political marriages are the bread and butter of the nobility. The younger members of the Party don't look happy about it, but the parents have a calculating look in their eyes.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Technists Guild

To the mercantile's guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, would a meeting in my workshop be alright?
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

mercantile's guild

technists guild[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    i was curious as too if you could begin research into large scale blackpowder weapons. i am willing to pay you handsomely when the research is finished of course

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

The EBSA, Defense 5

Announcements to all Factions

-Transcript from the Press Briefing done by Anala Weaver

This week delegates from every faction in the city is invited to discuss the future of the cities government. Every faction is aloud to send up to three representatives, with two bodyguards each. All representatives and guards will be searched for weapons that cause wide damage- magical or technological bombs and the like. If you have any special requirements, please let us know before coming to the conference. The conference will be held in the Spire Room of the Halls of Final Justice.

UAL
    Spoiler
    Show
    She turns, raising an eyebrow in apparent vague confusion "What? We'd be going out to get something to drink?"

'Job fair'- GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the voice heard at the fair, whoever hears it (Probably the courier, who I shall name James Kakanon) nods and whispers "Hurry sir"

Wreken Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    So far things are going very well, do you have any more plans to end the conflict once and for all?

Militia of Order and Justice
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could you also send, perhaps, soldiers to up security for the conference?

Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would be of service to any legitimate government that is established. To sell your case to the factions of the city, send a representative or come yourself to the conference. There is much talk of a hybrid government- with a civilian elected legislature, and a noble overview- with perhaps a shared executive branch. Does this sound like something you could compromise to?

Response to Morden Vassari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for the report, we shall keep it in mind when reviewing the possible changes to outlines and regulations the city works under.

Ram Revolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will support whatever government is placed in control. Come to the conference and argue your case, as we prefer a democratic option as well. Be ready to compromise/

Lord Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show
    Send your representative at any time.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

open announcement
    the trader, head of the famed mercantil's guild will attened the conference

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

The Blackhand Brotherhood

"Well, well, well. The vultures are gathering to clean each other's feathers. How could we possibly miss that, ey?"
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #169

Lords Wulbach, Holfeather, and Gantris will be attending. Lord Founder regrets that he will not be able to attend.

[edit]
    Aberham Pontiss, to bookbinder's guild [pm]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, you would be [ooc: I don't actually know this guy's name, but I assume Aberham would]? I am fascinated to see the workings of the city's premier source of news, If you would," Aberham says, hanging up his coat and handing his elegant cane off to a servant to be kept in his coach as he steps into the room.
    Last edited by Nyrt; 2012-07-24 at 10:43 PM.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Militia of Order and Justice
    D. Esp: 8

The Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are glad to see more people in this city are concerned about justice. We can join your alliance, but we reserve the right to leave at any point if we feel justice has been broken.

Technists Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    How is the work on the printing press going? We would like to have it in a turn or two.

EBSA
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps. If every faction does send a representative, then this may be too big a job for us. Too tell the truth, there are other needs for out watchmen.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A letter to Mercantile Guild [4]
    Spoiler
    Show

To Mercantile Guild Representative

Your conditions appear to be fair. I’ll take the loan and expect your gracious gift in the coming weeks.

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Vassari

Dr. Vassari to Peacocks [6?]
    Spoiler
    Show

To the Masters of the Painted Court,

Greetings,

I would like to discuss with you an issue about the opium dens in the Elfwatch. As you know, they are currently under the control of three competing gangs. Under them the opium is sold as a cheap drug, associated with knifings and crippling addiction*. I believe you could run the place with more class, both in terms of presentation and quality, making it into a recreational drug to give pleasure to the reasonably wealthy.

I’d be willing to provide you with discreet assistance to help you secure the control over the Elfwatch, if you would promise to follow certain regulations in the production and sale of opium, that will minimize the health risk it poses and its effects on the welfare of the users. This would have the advantage of turning the main visitors of the opium dens from the desperate junkies to the long-term, healthy clients, who are able to keep their jobs and thus their pockets full with coin to pay the premium on the product.

[*I’m going to assume that’s how the opium dens are run. If they aren’t I’ll change my message.]
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2012-07-25 at 02:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

NinjaGuy

To EBSA
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen will attend, joined by some Party representatives. The bodyguards will be Wallen men, and they will be well armed, but they will not take any forbidden weapons into the Palace.

The Party offers ++ Mil to help guard the meeting; I-d perfer to guard the northern entrances and form a perimeter. I ask permission to leave a small trail of agents between the castle and my Gleamers to help me and my friends get away should be any troubles.

Party Congress
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now now, don't look so unhappy, people.
    This is the policy I will set for political marriages: Every member who likes someone of a good-positioned family should come forward, and he shall get any help he needs to marry her/him.

I'm thinking of setting an example there myself.

But we should start to think to create a commoner branch for the party. If the new government has democratic elements, it will be important to have one.

And please, take into account that I'm NOT stating my will here. I believe that in the current state of affairs, it cannot be avoided.
    It's a constitutional monarchy, a democracy, or civil war.
    And I will plan for the three.

Regarding civil war; my Guard is the best trained force we have. I propose this: We will join all our guards. Yours will retain tehir commanders; but will be trained under my guards since they will be more experienced.

I must leave now to take care of other meetings, that have already been dscussed here.

Lord Wallen/Dr. Vassari [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen tasted the fruit, and took a pause to respond to the doctor:
    "I'm happy to hear that the Hospital works are going well."

He put the fruit down.

"To be honest, I'm worried about the civil war that is probably coming. I don't care for blood, but I don't know if it can be avoided.
    That's the reason I haev to go to the New Government meeting.

I understand that you don't want to risk it going there: You have a neutral position, and would be unwise to atract the anarchists attention.

But I must ask you. What sort of government would you support? Do you think is there any way to stop the bloodshed?

I think it would be important to have an influential man like you working along the commoners."

To House Orthax [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen sat with the House Orthax representative. It was a quiet, nice lunch.
    After lunch, Wallen decided to go into the matter.

"Milord, as you know, me and some friends have formed a political party. I wanted to ask you what do you think about that, and if you would accept to be a member.
    I was planning to ask House Beteoui and the Dwimmercant families as well. I realize you must have some troubles between you, but maybe they are troubles that can be negotiated."

To House Beteoui [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Milady, glad to make your acquaintance. I'll be honest: Me and my friends, the Lodstrom High Society Party, want to open a new Party House in this neighbourhood.
    Your family is one of the most respected families here, and we would be happy to have you as a member. We would be happy to have House Beteoui and the Dwimmercant families as well, but that depends on the possibility to succesfully resolve any troubles or enmities that exist between you. In that, all of you have my support."

To the Dwimmercant Families [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Wallen was wary of the Dwimmercant families. Anyone good enough to know what he was up to was good. More reason to get them on his good side.
    He let several party members and Ser Wallenstein where he was going, and prepared his best spells.
    Granted, 2 Magic Missiles and Feather Fall was not much of a spellbook, but it was something.

He saluted the family members, and sat down for the meeting.

"Good evening, gentlemen. I was fascinated by your response. What am I going to propose?"
    He smiled.
    "You already know.
    I'll be brief. Is there any way to get you to be members? Alone you are smart, but you can't do much against the wave that is coming our way.

In union there is force. We should work together.

A new Party house, an alliance with your so-called rivals (Who may be your rivals in the control of the neighbourhood; but your allies if you look at the bigger picture).
    That is my plan. What is yours?"
    Last edited by Ragnar Lodbroke; 2012-07-25 at 10:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Colossus in the Playground

Blackfist Brotherhood

To the locals of Deadman's Hill: [1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will not take on the Prison Wardens, other matters are keeping us busy, and they are too strong, for now. But keep the torches raised, brothers.

To the locals of the Gear [2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Chosen are not listening to reason. They will have to be "relocated" as soon as possible. Plans will be discussed later.

GM only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Littlefinger is going around the locals of those two districts above, explaining that those messages are fake. The wardens will be assaulted, and soon.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-07-25 at 10:37 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #174

??? to EBSA [Private]
    Spoiler
    Show

Good day, sirs and madams. I would like to speak with you regarding the proposition you presented to the Heartspear Secret Police last month. Since then, said police have had a difficult time with the Fist of Neposh invading Orn Totre with the purpose of murder and mayhem, and as such they might be more willing to consider the offer you made, in exchange for protection or aid against the fanatics.

Write your response below and throw it in any trash bin. I will see it.

Regards,

The Thousand Voices

Wrekan Family to EBSA (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

One final push should do it. With luck, we will have driven out the Hearthfeathers by the end of the month.

Bookbinder's Guild: Lord Pontiss' Tour [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Indeed, sir, and welcome," said the guide. You are not sure of his name. "If you will step this way..."

[OOC: Let's just assume there's a tour here. The Standard basically writes up rumors and sells them for a penny on the street corner. The "News" is not fact checked at all.]

Peacocks to Doctor Vassari (ESP-D 6)
    Spoiler
    Show

A wonderful and intriguing proposition. What sort of "discreet assistance" did you have in mind, good Doctor?

Louis Orthax to Henry Wallen [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Louis Orthax frowned. "Well, that would depend on what this party's political beliefs were," he said. "I'm not going to join something that I disagree with, after all."

Isabella Erhest Beteoui III to Henry Wallen [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Certainly!" Isabella seems thrilled at the suggestion. You get the feeling that she's viewing the whole thing as an elaborate game, and you've just given her a new piece to play with. "That would be delightful, Henry--can I call you Henry? It's always good to meet new people, don't you think?"

Dwimmercant to Henry Wallen [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"We know some things about waves, lad. You don't stand firm before 'em if you can ride 'em out. If that's what you're hoping to do--ride the wave, not try to stand in front of it when it comes--then we might see our way to helping you."

The Exchange to Sausage Guild (ESP-D 2)
    Spoiler
    Show

You are madmen. We were unwilling to allow you the use of our lower vaults--vaults that are needed for the daily operation of our business--and so your response is to break in and take them by force? What kind of solution is this? We are willing to negotiate, but at this point we mostly want to negotiate for our damn vaults back.

To Eldan (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

The people of the Gear mutter discontent, but those on Deadman's Hill are cheered by Littlefinger's message.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

25. - Top - End - #175

NinjaGuy

Lord Wallen to Louis Orthax[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sensible suggestion.
    I'll be honest, because I think that some parts of our political views can upset you.
    We believe that certain political changes are inevitable.
    We believe that some of those changes endanger the very existence of our class.
    We believe we must adapt or be destroyed.

We need to win the masses back, or be driven out by the anarchists.

So, we support the formation of a new government, with democratic elements to give our more certain alies (The traders and workers) power to oppose those that would use them as a tool to destroy us.

May I ask you what is your view on this matters?"

Lord Wallen to Isabella Erhest Beteoui III[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Henry smiled.
    "Of course it's always good to meet people. What is your view on the political and social situation on the city

Do you think that a pact between the different neighbourhood families would be possible?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I already love this NPC so much I'm about to raise my VIP rating and ask you to let me have her XD
    "

Lord Wallen to Dwimmercant
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's what we think.
    There is no way to stop certain changes (Political changes) from happening. If we are to survive and ride the wave down, we need to adapt.

And that means giving in on certain things, negotiating a lot, and finding a way to make the crew stick together.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Dr Vassari to Peacocks [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

The Peacocks were all about respect. You had to be careful in negotiations with them, but it also meant their word meant something. This was what Vassari counted on in providing them assistance. If opium dens were simply crushed, somebody else would open the business in another part of the city. If they were controlled, then the damage from them could be mitigated. Opium as a recreation drug for the rich and wealthy would minimize the health and social costs to the city.

He hesitated for a second, before writing the reply. An open association with Peacocks wouldn’t be good for his reputation.

''I’m prepared to aid you with [2 ESP], [2 MIL] and [1 MAG].''

Vassari/Lord Wallen [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I had an impression, that the civil war has already started, with all that fighting on the streets. Even by the standards of our city, there has been a lot recently.''

''I’m entirely selfish in my views on the government. I would prefer one that can provide order and stability, while supporting various health programs around the city. Yet it’s not that simply, isn’t it?''

''I sincerely wish bloodshed could be stopped. But the fact that the shattered lands continue in their sorry state is a testament to the futility of such wishes. Only a powerful and ruthless warlord can take power. Yet if one’s legitimacy is dependent on strength alone, that means that another warlord will inevitably try to seize power, if he is stronger or the current leader grows weak. This naturally lends to the need for repression to weed out threats to one’s rule. A vicious cycle of one warlord’s brutal reign, one replacing another. The sorceress managed to break it and keep the city in order by being immortal, for a time. I expect that now the strongest and most ruthless faction would seize power in the city. And then in time they’ll fall and be replaced again.''

''If a different type of legitimacy could be established, perhaps this would break the cycle. I would say the appeal of anarchists is that they offer an alternative. The issue of course, whether it would work any better.''

''EBSA have continued to exist, by serving whoever is in charge. I have considered a same approach to let Bloodhaven survive. Yet, surviving alone is no longer enough for me. Maybe it shouldn’t be enough for the institution I’ve created. I won’t lie. I do want to mend this broken land. I simply haven’t found the cure yet.''

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

The Sausage Guild

To Dr. Morden[6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have seen no signs of contamination in our water supply. We will look into it, but in the future we wish that you would ask for permission before sampling from our wells.

-Bloodhand

To the Exchange (2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are not madmen we simply do not have the same values as you do. We acknowledge that you see things differently. Where you hold to the arbitrary values of metal and currency we hold to the more fundamental values of flesh and blood. As such we will be continuing to use these vaults. We do have a proposal if you are willing to listen. And as we are not well versed in the arts of negotiation we will make it simple.

If you ally with us then we will guarantee your protection. What's more we do not intend to stop solely with your vaults. As we move through the rest of the Gilded we will take over their vaults as well, but we will allow you to handle the day to day functioning of the money lenders. We will in effect stay below the surface as our only concern is the vaults, and nothing will change at street level. Think of it, the entire financial structure of the Gilded under the control of the Exchange. And no more worrying about the extra expense of security as we will keep the streets safe for you. All we ask is the continued use of your vaults and that you transfer your guard forces to us.

And before you retort that the only people you need protection from is us. Consider the rest of the city. Fighting has broken out all over. How long before the factions of the city consolidate their power and turn their eyes towards your storehouses. And they won't give your gold back as we did.

It is your choice of course, but we both know that if you refuse you stand little chance of removing us from your vaults by force.

-Bloodhand

OOC: (Short version. Ally with us and take over the rest of the district. Split gains between us. Mil and magic to me, wealth and espionage to them. Otherwise we finish mopping up their forces and find another set of moneylenders to serve as surface proxies.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2012-07-26 at 11:10 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

NinjaGuy

Lord Wallen/Dr Vassari [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Again, I uderstand your position. I'm supporting the EBSA because it's the only chance I see to create a stable, legitimate government that doesn't involve stomping the rest of the factions to pieces.

The Civil War has not started yet, not at large. Sure, there is fight on the streets, but it's small thing. There is not yet great groups marching against each other, but they will be in little time.

The anarchists DO offer an alternative, but for how long?
    Once the smoke has setted, the strongest amongst them will take power and everything will begin again.

No, the only way is to negotiate and create a sistem with checks and balances. Everyone, commoners, soldiers, priests, nobles must colaborat to create that.

The Ram is certainly offering that, if they are not destoyed by the Wren and the Blackfists.

We think alike, I'm glad. Please keep your current policies for now, had I the chance I would act like you.
    If you need any help feel free to ask, I'll do what I can.

I hope that when the time comes we are on the same side.

Well, I must be leaving if you don't have any more bussiness.
    I still have to send +++ wealth to finish the wing, right?
    I'll send it [This turn]"

29. - Top - End - #179

Heladuit Court

D. Esp: 6

To Millford Standing Guard
    Spoiler
    Show

"You patrol the streets of Millford, and looking around, you do quite a job of it. I must ask, though, if you could make use of... patronage, of a sorts. This city is broken, and will remain shattered for quite some time. Sources of income for a Guard company like yourself might not remain stable and dependable. The Court's money is. We want to see Millford stay just as safe and civil as it currently is. Let us help you, and in return, you help us keep this vision a reality."

To Dappled Court
    Spoiler
    Show

A man walks down the roads of the Dappled Court. He finds a house that came to the Grand Old Get-Together, and asks to speak.

"The Court is... interested in your culture here. You are so different from us, it fascinates the Court, is fascinates me. If you can be convinced to tell me, I just want to know what life is like for you in the Dappled Court. What do you want? What do you do? What are the problems here? I'm merely curious, after meeting you at our party.

To Underwood Family
    Spoiler
    Show

"Ah, the Underwoods. Markus sends his regards, as well as a message. We have tailors working on your goblins' uniforms, and we thought of a way we could help you gain dominance over the Silviats. We would ask in return, of course, that this dominance is shared with us. Your soldiers could be given access to basic fire magic in their equipment. The soldiers of the Silviats could be made especially vulnerable to fire through magic, and the Silviats would need a miracle to notice. All it would take from there is for you to call them out to a fight, and win. Can you agree to this?"

To House Wallen
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, friend. It appears my messenger got lost, but hopefully your ears are still open to what I have to say. I would be perfectly willing to support your claims in Sky in return for support for my claims in Heavensgate, as long as you don't mind me pushing my market into Sky. You're not active in the clothing market, are you?

As for a strategic alliance... I would be willing to speak with you personally as you requested. Maybe an alliance can form from there.

To Esoteric Society of Gentleman Explorers
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you still require a suit? I understand that the time between your request and my response is quite a large gap... but the need for a fine suit never diminishes, and there are no finer suits than those of the Heladuits.
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2012-07-26 at 05:51 PM.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Louis Orthax to Henry Wallen (Private)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hmm." Louis Orthax listened intently, his frown growing deeper as Lord Wallen spoke. "If you want my opinion, do not give anything to democracy. I realize that the city-states of the Merchant's Water may have made that particular system look pleasing, but in all cases it leads to mob rule. The common people simply do not have the knowledge or the vision to understand and run a government, and are easily swayed by populist orators. A tyranny of the majority is just as much a tyranny as one man granted total power, and at least that one man would have the strength and organization needed to get things done."

Isabella Erhest Beteoui III to Lord Wallen (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

"We-ee-ell..." Isabella drew out the word. "If you're talking to old Louis, he's going to go off about obscure political systems and how the Merchant's Water is secretly controlled by half a dozen nobles and how autarchism is the greatest threat the world has ever seen. But, you know, he does that. So long as he doesn't think the mob has more power than he does, he's fine. If you're talking to the Dwimmercant Families, things might be trickier. They might agree, they might not, but no matter what they say you can be sure they mean something else entirely." Her eyes gleamed with barely-hidden amusement. "They're going to use you, Henry. Even with me telling you right now, they're going to string you up like a puppet and march you along to their beat. It's what they do."

The butler who had been hovering attentively nearby began passing out teacups and saucers. Isabella smiled innocently.

"Sugar?" she asked.

Dwimmercant to Lord Wallen (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Adaptability is good. Survivability is good. Control is even better. We will join your Party, to be sure." There are smiles all around. "Might be we could end up with control over far more than the shores of Dai, aye? That would be a good day indeed."

Peacocks to Doctor Vassari (ESP-D 6)
    Spoiler
    Show

And that is all we would need. Your assistance is appreciated, Doctor. It will not be forgotten.

The Exchange to Sausage Guild (ESP-D 2)
    Spoiler
    Show

What choice do we have but to accept your bargain? You know we cannot defend ourselves from your thugs, not after last month.

We will cede to you the vaults. Our guards will still report to us, but only for the purposes of securing the Mint. We will not be moved in this--our people and ours alone will be the ones defending the Mint building. This is where the wealth of the city is created, and we cannot trust anyone else with its protection.

Millford Standing Guard to Heladuit Court (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

We get most of our supporting funds from local merchants and artisans. Everyone contributes a little bit to the Guard, and we keep everyone safe. Millford's is an exceptionally stable neighborhood, and I doubt that we will require any shift in our usual monetary policy. If you wish to support the guard, we will welcome your funds, but understand that they may not be entirely necessary.

Dappled Court to Heladuit Court (ESP-D 3)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ooh! You're the guys who made the fancy new suits, weren't you? I had a couple ideas I wanted to talk to you about that...

(What follows is a rapid-fire chatter of clothing design ideas that range from unintentionally hideous to surprisingly inspirational.)

Underwood Family to Heladuit Court (ESP-D 4)
    Spoiler
    Show

We have received similar offers from others before, and will give you the same answer we gave them: our relationship with the Silviat Family is nothing but cordial, with the possible exception of the Games.
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

IC
    OOC