Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: RaynnVerse: The Reign IC

"Well, all right. I suppose we can fill Shade and Ava in on the details when they come around and come to, respectively."

Emily takes a deep breath, claps her hands and begins. "OK, I figured this was gonna sound insane, but that was before we ended up fighting the immortal skeleton wizard in the alternate dimension of eternal night. Not quite as crazy now. Last night, Remembrance and I were both visited in a dream, or The Dreaming, I suppose, by Death herself. Death, incidentally, is a cute goth girl with some really cool shoes and an ankh necklace. Sorry if I just spoiled a mystery of the universe for you."

"Anyway, Death explained that because we were more in tune with time travel than most people, we had been chosen to seek out Dr. Dare during his trip to Earth-8, and that we were to join him and form a team. The rest of the team was to be made up of 'those that were with him'- all of you. That was why we were at Champions when you were. That was not coincidence, but rather Death giving us a time and place and saying 'you're going to be here and do this,' though introductions probably could have been smoother."

"Aside from helping you form this team, Doc, we were also told to keep you alive. One of the reasons for surrounding you with this crew was that there are forces that wish to 'end you,' to use Death's phrase. And furthermore, that when the time was right, we would have to stop the Lord of Space. That's not being vague and prophetic, it's a title, given to the literal living embodiment of the Space half of Space-Time. I asked."

"The Lord of Space, according to Death, is going to do something, something big, that goes against the natural order of the universe and will 'permanently upset' said order if he succeeds. She would not tell us what this universe-shaking thing was, on the grounds that if we were told, he would enact his plans ahead of schedule, and kill us while he was at it."

"She also dropped the encouraging tidbit that the Lord of Space can't be killed, but that was just about everything we were told." Emily glances down awkwardly at her hands for a moment. "Now, Remembrance, this part's new for you, too, but when we were getting prepped to be sent here and rescue you guys, I found out some big news. Doc, Vagrant, you remember what he said before the portal opened? When he dropped the big bombshell about Omega's fate? That his counterpart had sacrificed himself to destroy big O? That the Lord of Time had sacrificed himself. That's why I insisted we have this conversation here, on this world."

"The Lord of Space is Isiah Washington, head of the Freedom League. And he's gonna be here in less than an hour to pick us up."
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

"Really ?" Shade look taken aback byt the question. Sure it's only fair that when a live (monstruous as it may be) is on the line, that some consideration be given to it but ..." You take this situation, you expand it in a question so broad and expect me to give a binary answer ? I would have answered 'no' in a heartbeat when I stil had one, now...

Sometime.
    It's how the road to hell that is paved with good intentions starts; And yeah it's probably a terrible philosophy to live by.
    But nonethless I've seen too much not to believe wide eyed idealism and bravery alone only get you so far. Sometime there's a place for pragmastism, sometime you have to be cold hearted."
    Shade shrugs, looking uncomfortable. The girl she used to be and who admired the old superheroes and tried to be one is crying inside, and the woman who was murdered cringes at that kind of moral relativism who could so easily be used and twisted to justify any kind of murder but the last eleven year have changed her point of view quite a bit."Depends of the stakes, depends of the options." she take a small shistfull pause before finishing with a bit more conviction "I can't answer for ohers but it ends when I say the price isn't worh the stakes. Or until someone makes me stop."

She waves at the blankness where the dreams of Malador once stood.
    "Like him. I would be lying if I said i'm not slightly ashamed to feel a bit of sympathy for the bastard, and I apreciate a storry of true love as much as any other" And, changing fate... killing death... it does hold a certain attraction,does it not ?. "but it pales as an excuse after the second mass murder. At which point, did save one woman jsutify destoying a whole world, countless of innocent lives ? Couldn't he have found something else with all his knowlege and power ? Did he even bother ?How many more will he sacrifice ?" It's true, it would be easier if he was standing or gloating or fuming on his damned throne or whatever it is he does."One way or another, his means justify his end.

"And the lives of a whole planet..." Didn't dire once saves all sentient lives on this planet by comdemning those of another dimension. Though Shade doubt the meglomaniac bitch had even a tingle of moral hesitation at that kind of decision. "I did help save an universe a couple of time, well once at least, but moraly it was mostly smooth sailing, got lucky here I guess. I do hope I never have to find to what abyss someone could sink to for such stakes." why does she suspect she'll have no such luck ? "But I don't think you started this line of conversation without a reason did you, did you ?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleh. It's a terrible post, I don't like it in the slightest but at this point, i have already slowed this game anough and I just can't come with anything better.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-08-25 at 04:57 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

5 of 6

Spoiler
    Show
    Just waiting for someone to close out this scene so we can move on to the end of the issue and everyone dog-piling to get in Isiah's face.

The Dead Girl Who Dreams

Dream nods at Shade's closing question

"I have a reason.

Your world is doomed. I am not being cryptic, I do not reference whatever myriad plot or conspiracy that my sister seeks to avert, or appears too, I refer to the dynamic of your world.

The have and the have nots. It has always been by birth that you humans have decided who would sit on top of the pile. Whether it was being born a chieftains first son in ancient Africa or being born into old New England money. Now what are your greatest birthrights? Oil, money, influence?

No your have removed the torrid filters and veils, the greatest birthright is power. Mutants, mutates' children, alien human hybrids etc. A vastly greater number of heroes and villains are born with their abilities than actually earn them.

For every Diego Torres there are a dozen Clark Leeds to hammer him down. To remind him only so much can be earned.

This always occurs, the Gods will always war with man over the power born to the Gods and a hundred times the Gods have been forced back, every time since Prometheus stole their fire.

But now is different. Now their number of Gods number in the thousands, and they claim, for a decent part, the justification of a just world.

This paradigm cannot persist.

The world can not be remain human and post-human.

A day will come when the world will teeter on the edge of this nameless oblivion, of chaos and destruction, or a new way, or perhaps an old way, and a question will be asked,

What would Silvia Sloane do to save the world?"

Dream turns away and suddenly a plane of infinite possibility reaches out before the pair, the dreaming in its raw incomprehensible form

"Take the phlactery and go, he left no booby traps, none that remain. You seem effectively immortal, take the skull with you, watch over it, perhaps take a human lifetime or two to mull over your decision. You need not kill him quickly. He has waited a long time for death. Go to your friends. They wait back at the base of the man Leeds. They'll be leaving this reality in less than hour. I suggest you hurry.

Oh more thing. Some people wished to say goodbye, and that they are . . .

Proud of you . . ."

At that Dream fades away and leaves behind himself the faded appearances of a dozen or more dead heroes, friends of Shade, Next Gen and Freedom League members who had died during Event 84. . . Oddly enough Dr. Metropolis is missing . . .

They smile, they wave and then . . .

Shade awakes.

She remains before the throne, alone before the skull which remains motionless.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Raynn; 2012-08-25 at 05:47 PM.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of
    The Rise, The Fall, The Lost, the Found, The Departed, The Origin, The End, The Return & The Truth

Now GMing
    The Revolution & The Reign

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

Banner made using Avatars created by Kpenguin & Myself

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Doctor Dare

Dare sits back for a second, deep in thought. Finally, he speaks. "From what I've seen of Isiah in the past, he's definitely one of the good guys... Which in no way rules out destroying the balance of nature. My family hasn't always been heroes, so we can be a bit pragmatic when dealing with the White Knight types. Sometimes the best of intentions have the worst of conclusions. Add in the fact that immortal beings, such as my grandfather Daedalus, can be slightly unstable due to the unnatural progression of years, what you've said is certainly possible."

With a sigh, he starts organizing his thoughts. "We are all together now, so we've passed the first obstacle. Seeing his position in the FLI, and ours as potential fugitives, we cannot move against him without some serious planning and evidence. I'm guessing that we will need to act at a certain crisis point in order to counteract whatever he has planned. We'll need to discuss this further, but only under the strictest of anti-surveillance measures. We should also try to stay close to the FLI in order to know what is going on. When we talk to Isiah, I'm going to try to keep us together as a group, with a secure location we can meet."

After waiting a moment to gauge their response, he moves towards Ava, being sure to put on gloves to minimize contact with her (or Navi, if it comes to it). "I figured she needed to rest after that stunt she pulled. However, she needs to get moving now. When we fill her in, be sure to emphasize our wait and observe plan. She does report to Isiah in some way, as does Thanatos. From what I know of Shade, I don't think that will be a problem with her."

The Doctor quickly checks Ava's vitals, then presses a few pressure points to bring her around gently. The trick is knowing what is true about alternative medicine. Chakra manipulation has some connection to bodily function.

He leaves the explanations to the others before moving towards the mayor. "Sir, I'm going to guess that you are in charge here. If your people are willing, we're going to try to evacuate you to a more hospitable universe. I would like to have you on hand when we talk to the person who is bringing us home. In the meantime, if you could organize everyone. I assure you that the two who have received the power of Horus are capable of defending them, not to mention the fact that we destroyed the one who was organizing the undead. Does that sound good to you?"

A thought suddenly occurs to him, and he turns towards Roland and Air Ace "Speaking of our shiny heroes. Hey, you two! If you have any communication with Horus, see what he says and wants out of the current situation."

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on the medicine check to revive Ava.
    Will that do for wrapping us up? I figure anyone else can put in their responses later, as long as we have the main concept in place.
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2012-08-25 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Bolding for readability

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Vagrant nods at what Dare has said 'Perhaps it was not only cruel fate that led us here. We have worked with Washington before. I believed him a good man, I still do. I would not have credited these words had I not seen their bearer's worth. You have given us much to think on.
    'Once this nonsense with the Cullie Act is resolved, I have safe haven where we may discuss away from prying FLI eyes.
    'If you will excuse me, there are two things I must do before we leave.'

Without waiting for answer, he disappeared into the ether

And emerged hundreds of miles away. Blasted farmland stretches far in all directions. He is near what remains of a burnt up house, with ponderous steps he steps over what is left of the threshold and looks around a home he had not seen in two decades. A barrage of long forgotten memories assailed him, more than his mind could hold. He carefully climbs the stairs and looks in on his room, and then his parent's room. He tries to sit on the edge of their bed, as he did when he was a child, but the blackened woodwork could not support his weight.

Finally he left his former home and walked toward an uprooted willow tree. He scans about until he sees the marker stones he had left so many years ago

'Hi mom, hey dad. I see the willow's fallen down again, sorry I wasn't here to right it. I know you wanted to be buried under it. I'll pick it up before I leave.
    'I'm... so sorry I haven't been here in so long. I escaped, I guess you probably already knew that. I miss you. I haven't seen you in two decades, but not a day goes by without some fond thought of you two. You took me in and made me your own, I never thanked you for that. It's only because you made me so much your own it seemed only natural to my child's eyes. But thank you, I thank you now so much. I love you both so much, and always did, and always will.
    'I have to go now... I have to get back to my new home. I wish you could've seen it. You would have been safe there. It's so beautiful and so safe. I'm so sorry he killed you, you should have told him where I was. He still would have killed you, but it would have been quick... I would have made that sacrifice for you, but I suppose that was your sacrifice for me.
    'I love you.'

And then he was back at the camp, glancing at his watch and growing increasingly worried about Shade
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Ava only slowly comes to her senses. Though many of her wounds are still open and her arm is still missing, breathing is easier now and her body is resilient enough to be stable now. Her first look goes to Zia, causing a happy gasp to escape the healer's lips before she lifts herself up enough to kiss her daughter's forehead. Soon after, Ava feels Nathaniel's strong arms help her get onto her feet again, with her simply resting against him for a moment, letting the bliss of knowing her family is alive and well fill her mind and heart.

Only reluctantly does she break contact, heading over to Navi, standing before her, looking at her. Ava takes a deep breath. "It wasn't your fault, Navi. You did nothing wrong." Making sure her life force is properly guarded (as usual), Ava gives the navimatrix a motherly hug. "But I still need to ask you to avoid physical contact with Zia, for her own safety. Do you understand?" She knows this last bit isn't helping Navi's morale, but Ava has a duty as a mother to protect her child. Still, she doesn't want poor Navi to suffer.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Shade lifet a hand but doesn't have th time to, say anything tot he figures of the fallen; Just two second to talk to them...

Silently the dead girl lifts the skull from it's throne and take long look at it.
    In the end, did he avert fate or did he made it happen ? Was it worth it ? What did he wish for ? Not that it mattered anymore now. ...Dream said he'd been waiting for death. And what aother way wasn there ? Keep him ? emprison him ? Hide him , it had already been done ? He'd got away, possibly even worst.

Then she look out the window. There's no more army of zombie outside, not even little groups looking around, one way or another the battle ended. Since vagrant isn't being trained here to be turned into a new host body, Shade can only assume the others own or managed to flee. The only view are the ruins standing int he darkness, silent witness to half a century of destruction.

Her hands clenches for a little while as she was mimicking the act of crushing the object. There's no hatred, no righeous fire in her mind, just guilt. She doesnt deserve their pride. But this.. had to be done , sooner or later. Small cracks appears on the golden surface...
    No. If there hadn't been that dream, if she hadn't seen once agin those faces she fought alongside, he'd be already dead. They were idealistic fools the lot of them, and how she admired them for it and they would have kept him alive. it was the stupid to do of course, she knew it, but she couldn't tarnish their memory. She can't do it, not just right now, not like that.

Slowly she pick up the mask and floats out of the window in direction of the camp.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-08-26 at 07:30 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

~ The Six In All ~
    ~Together At The End ~

As Shade descends towards her allies, skull in hand, she sees hundreds of civilians in a column being led by the heroes.

Nathaniel, a.k.a. Thanatos, is blasting away any zombies he can find near the group with his hellfire before they can get close enough to accost the group, and it is obvious he's taking his frustrations about what this world has done to his family out on these horrid creatures.

It doesn't appear that Thanatos needs assistance as the few stragglers of undead that encounter the group he deals with swiftly. By the time Shade lands beside the others along side Leeds and Bolt they have already reached the rendezvous point.

Vagrant looks back to see the skull in Shade's hands just as a portal opens behind the group . . .

In his typical Armani attire Isiah steps out in the grim night of Earth 6565 and surveys the scene before simply saying

"So Requiem owes me ten dollars,"

He looks over the group, his eyes lingering momentarily on Leeds before surveying the column of civilians

"Earth 373, no Event 84, no F.L.I. and a largely reduced super human population. I'll trade the design of Sentient #6 Nano-synthetic synapses to their Daedalus so he'll take this bunch of them. I can have their Freedom League start setting up a refugee camp as soon as possible,"

then his eyes lock on Vagrant, Air Ace and Doctor Dare

"You three are still supposed to be deported, but you technically just bought yourself time. Extra dimensional illegal aliens have a grace period under the Cullie Act, and I have an idea to buy you three a little more time. If Ava, Remembrance and Shade will help you,"

Thanatos seems more than just annoyed that his name goes unmentioned

"Are we ready to move out?"
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of
    The Rise, The Fall, The Lost, the Found, The Departed, The Origin, The End, The Return & The Truth

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Ava can only imagine what her husband must feel like as she watches him take out the undead and sees his face as he has been left out. He hadn't been able to prevent Ava and Zia from disappearing to this dimension or help cure Zia. Ava knows how much all this weighs on him, in addition to him always having to be careful around Zia to avoid being drained. She wouldn't blame him for any of that, rather she is happy that he is there for his wife and daughter and thankful for all he did for them despite everything that has happened throughout the years, but at times it is difficult for her to make him see that and feel good about it.

Ava puts her good arm around Nathaniel's back (her other arm will take a while, not wanting to risk healing herself that much until she is sure her body has completely regained it's equilibrium of life energy), all while keeping Zia close. "I will help. They are good people, they don't deserve to be deported." She still cannot stand Isiah too much, not after what he put Robert through years back and other things in that vein (and she has vocally let him know what she thought in the past), but this isn't the time for animosity.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Hold, there is one more thing to be done, before we leave.'

He stepped away from the group, heading toward the refugees. He held his hands up, commanding their attention. Then, with great reluctance, he removed his shining helmet. His long braided hair spilled out down is neck.

'I don't know how many of you recognise me. I am Vagrant, here more commonly called the Dark Apprentice, or Roland the Changling.
    'I am here at least, to make as much restitution as I am able, and to offer endless apology.
    'I am indeed a monster by your lights, but I am not the monster you believe me to be. I will offer what little defence I am able.
    'I cannot speak greatly of my origins. I am, as was widely said, not human. I am a thing created, a Promethean. The ritual of my creation remains hidden, it is my ambition that it die with me, for it could create far feller things than I.
    'Knowing this... My parents took me in, a cursed baby, and made me their own, offered me boundless love. Malador killed them... very slowly. They would not tell him where I was. I don't think Malador even knew I was the failed experiment he'd abandoned almost a decade before. I think he just heard of some hedge wizard whose soul he could drain.
    'And then... My utter shame, the low ebb of my life. I joined Eldritch. For his trust I blooded my hands, I killed my first innocent after two years in his service. I was almost eleven. I would continue in his service for another four years. When Eldritch's eye was on me I slaughtered without hesitation, when it was not I spared the innocent, wiping the incident from their minds to maintain my secret. I saved many, as best I could. I killed more.
    'I did what I did with a gun pointed against the back of my neck, but that is no excuse. Because I also did what I did with revenge in my heart. I told myself I manifested the revenge of this world. In truth it was only my own. Revenge is no fit motive. If I had did what I did with higher purpose I might dare to beg your forgiveness. But I did not.
    'I thought I had my revenge, hollow as it was, when I left this world. I believed that I had killed Malador for the final time. I believed I had my revenge against Eldritch. I believed I had trapped him here.
    'So often he had boasted his future ambitions, Dark Lord of a sprawling multiplanar empire. It seemed the best revenge I could manage against a foe I could never defeat...
    'And for a long time I didn't think about what I done. For a long time I didn't think about here at all. I tried to force it from my mind. Soon you will be safe and understand why.
    'So... I never thought about what I had done to you. I thought myself so clever, corrupting Eldritch's own ritual to consume Malador and using it to trap him in the world he had destroyed. I took pride in all the innocents I spared that day... I never thought about those I had trapped with him. Until the day he told me he had sacrificed every person on this planet to brake my barrier. That was the worst day of my life. Worse than my first kill. Worse than finding my parents' mangled bodies.
    'I cannot tell you how that has weighed on me. I cannot tell you how much finding you here means to me. I cannot tell you how sorry I am. I do not have the words, I doubt the words exist.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #191

As Vagrant gives his heartfelt speech to the refugees, Air Ace approaches one of them in particular, an older, white-haired man. "Mister... um, Horus?" Emily smiles awkwardly. "I don't know your true name, but thank you. The power of the gods was put to good use. In all likelihood, you saved our lives. I hope Earth-373 is all Mr. Washington has made it out to be, and that all of you get to live the rest of your days in peace."

"Magic is not my forte, so before we leave this place, uh, how does one return this power to its rightful wielder, to you? Is there an incantation or something I have to say or do?"

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

~ The Six In All ~

Thanatos lays his hand on Ava's resting on his shoulder and says nothing, giving her a warm smile instead.

As Vagrant speaks Leeds has already begun leading civilians through the portal to Earth 373. As he finishes he pauses and stares at Vagrant dumbstruck and horrified.

Suddenly a blue crackling blur launches into Vagrant and he is gone, as Bolt appears to be from the crowd . . .

The Smoking Ruins of Claremont Academy . . .

Vagrant looks up and around him and as the figure he recognizes holds him up by the throat he glances around to realize he has arrived at the location of one of the few massacres he was present for. . . the destruction of Claremont Academy. It looks as much like a smoking ruin as when he last left it.

"I WILL VIBRATE YOU APART ATOM BY ATOM FOR WHAT YOU DID YOU F****** MONSTER! DEATH IS TOO GOOD FOR YOU YOU B******! YOU HELPED HIM KILL MY FATHER! YOU DESERVE THIS!"

Back where people aren't killing each other . . .

Horus' Ankh appears before Air Ace as she finishes the sentence, in Henry Farrow's old weathered hands. A look of horror appears on Henry's face as Air Ace instinctively knows willing the power to someone else allows Horus to move on . . .

The Air Ace realizes why Mr. Farrow looks horrified . . .

Back at the Claremont Ruins. . .

Vagrant glows for a moment as the power of Horus leaves him, he instinctively knows Air Ace gave it up . . . Bolt grins as he pulls his fist back . . .

At the Portal . . .

Isiah sighs

"Just for ONCE I wish we could have a 'heroes of two worlds' type team up without us trying to kill each other. We Were So Close This Time!"

Isiah motions to Leeds

"Keep the Civilians moving, the rest of the heroes will deal with this. Dare, Air Ace, Ava, Remembrance, Shade, Thanatos, fix this!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hero Point to Vagrant for the speech, Hero Point to Vagrant for the set back. Edit: Hero Point for Bolt Re-roll.

Bolt's Attack Roll: (1d20+11)[22] vs. Vagrant Flat-footed Defense.
    DC 30 Toughness Save on a hit, grapple attempt on a hit.
    Opposed Grapple Check: (1d20+11)[17] 26
    DC 25 Toughness Save if grappled.

Will Hero point that grapple Check in the OoC thread.
    Last edited by Raynn; 2012-08-27 at 04:48 PM.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

13. - Top - End - #193

Doctor Dare

Dare is amused and intrigued in turn as Isiah mentions the bet and the opportunity he has in mind.

And then Vagrant makes his speech.

And this after I managed to avoid using his name at all after the Horus incident. As he turns towards the others, he is becoming visibly agitated. "If Bolt doesn't kill him, I Might Do It Myself! He Knew Better!" As he speaks, his voice begins to resonate more and he draws himself to his full height, and then some, becoming more imposing with every word.

Then he sees the power of Horus transfer, and he finally snaps. All his childhood therapy sessions go out the window as he loses his temper. "GRAH! MR. FARROW, UNLESS YOU PLAN ON HELPING IN SOME WAY, DARE RECOMMENDS YOU HOLD ONTO THAT AHNK TIGHTLY AND GO THROUGH THE PORTAL! DOES ANYBODY HAVE A WAY TO FOLLOW THEM?"

No more does the convivial Doctor stand there, but a full member of the Dire household is revealed in all his imposing glory.
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2012-08-27 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Description!

14. - Top - End - #194

As Bolt zips away with Vagrant's throat clutched in his fingers, Emily lets out a stream of swearing that would make a sailor blush and jams down the throttle on her rocketpack as far as it will go. The 70-year-old tech performs admirably, screaming to life in a split second and blinding and deafening those nearby for a moment as it spits twin tongues of fire. Then Air Ace is gone, streaking into the darkness, following the dust trail kicked up by the speedster.

She arrives at the charred ruins of Claremont scant seconds after Bolt does. Seeing the dire situation, she jerks her raygun from its holster and fires a blinding beam at the speedster. "You put him down this second, or the next shot's gonna have a whole lot more punch behind it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving All-Out after Bolt as a full action. She reaches the pair in one round.

Using Extra Effort to surge and gain another action. Air Ace will be fatigued next turn.

Accurate Attack (+4/-4), into melee (-4 to hit), Dazzle, DC 15 Reflex save for Bolt if it hits. Fort saves on following rounds. (1d20+11)[27]

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Save: (1d20+12)[21]

Air Ace & Vagrant

Bolt blurs for a split second as he dodges the shot, and looks up at Air Ace enraged

"He's a murderer and deserves to pay for what he did! No amount of good deeds or apologies will bring back the people's he's killed! If I let him go you people won't even send him to prison for what he's done! He doesn't deserve freedom after he helped turn Freedom City into THIS!"

Bolt motions to the ruins of Claremont that surround the trio.

The Others

Doctor Dare can guess their destination from their direction and the trail Air Ace's rockets leave in the air. Henry Farrow rushes through the portal like he's told while Isiah gives Doctor Dare and smile and says jokingly

"Your grandmother would be proud, third person suits you,"

Isiah clicks his fingers and a second portal opens where Dare tells him he thinks they're headed, and sure enough on the other end of the portal is Claremont Academy in ruins and the trio that have already arrived

"Isiah Public Transport, walk this way, keep hands and feet within the tear the fabric of reality at all times, please tip your driver."
    Last edited by Raynn; 2012-08-27 at 06:43 PM.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Remembrance is prepared for an immediate confrontation by Isiah, so she hangs back and watches as he musters a clinical breakdown of the sad history of Earth 6565 and then solves the problem of the refugees' housing with a proverbial toss of the head. A small problem for the Lord of Space, but a massive one for anyone operating on her level. She finds herself filled with awe? Dread? Anger?Something, in any case. It's hard to know how to react to people who operate on such an existential level.

When Vagrant begins his speech, she shakes her head inwardly. This speech was not well-timed, and Remembrance is not in the least surprised when Bolt objects, though the speedster moves too fast for her to intervene. She looks around for a way to follow, and clues in on Air Ace's intentions just in time. Half a second before Air Ace goes full throttle, Remembrance's grappling hook wraps around her ankle.

Remembrance has six very long seconds to regret her decision.

When they finally arrive at the Claremont ruins, Remembrance smoothly drops to the ground, ignoring the screaming in her arm muscles.

"Easy, Air Ace. No need to escalate this any further." Her tone is reasonable, if strained. She walks towards Bolt carefully. No weapons, no gadgets, no martial arts. Just a calm voice as she takes short, non-threatening steps towards the two. "Bolt, why don't we talk about this first? You're not a killer."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Remembrance, Air Ace & Vagrant

Bolt looks over at Remembrance still clutching Vagrant

"You would be surprised to learn what I've had to do too survive in the world he helped create. What about the Bolt of your world makes you think he wouldn't do this right now too?"
    Last edited by Raynn; 2012-08-27 at 08:07 PM.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Remembrance stands stock still when she hears Bolt's question, utterly silent. When she starts talking, it's in a low, saddened voice. She'd lived through Event 84 far too many times. "Our Bolt is dead. He died fighting, against a monster who would have killed our city."

She starts walking towards him again, faster and angrier. The weapons are still holstered and her stance is not violent, but her voice is like a whip. "But you had better believe he was fighting for a better reason than this. Innocent people died that day. Alongside some of the greatest heroes our planet had. And his closest friends. But still, he wasn't fighting for revenge. He died fighting to protect people."

By now she's only a few feet away, and almost yelling in his face. "This man is at your mercy. Tell me, who does this save?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh Vagrant, you noble imbecile, stop doing the right thing" say the apparently floating by himself skull of Malador (not that nyone sems tomind or notice) while an invisible Shade facepalms.
    Yeah there was no way in hell Bolt rection was not going to happen.

"Your grandmother would be proud, third person suits you,"
    "You find ? He's got the bark down pretty well but the content still lack the sting of the original if you ask me" comments the skull in private to Isiah. Everyone's a critic.

Hey, could you hold on unto that for me for a moment please ?" the ghost seems to remember toss the skull to Isiah before stepping in his portal "You are now the proud owner of an atlantean paperweight. Also it contain the soul of a mass murdering lich. Application to your face is not recomended"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "She's right. I was there. And he still does" Shade steps though the portal. Her voice is sad but she tries to sound clear and loud to get Bolt's attention, to get him to listen. "Twelve years ago, I fought along your counterpart, our freedom league and Next gen." her voice break a bit as she tell the obvious. "We lost.
    I saw all the people I had admired all my life most and many of my friend die. All at the hand of one man."

Her voice becomes a lot more even as she goes on. "We both came back later. Different circumstances, same result, like this. I wanted revenge. God know, I still do. probably better not to mention that though. "Tried to murder him. he was too strong, so I took action on his family, I even implicated two innocent kids in my atempts. I don't know how farther I could have gone. But Bolt, our bolt, he took his second chance for something else. He has taken the mantle of captain Thunder. I was trying to avenge the fallen but he honored them, everythign they stood for.
    We talk. He helped me move over. he helped me find myself again.
    You have kept your people safe for years from Malador's undead. You aren't our Bolt and he isn't you, but if you are anything like him"
    I hope for you, vagrant "you are a protector to the end and beyond, not a killer."

Spoiler
    Show
    I realise how clumsy (and cliche) this speech sound but for what it's worth, it's said with feelings (kinda; and certain dose of hypocrisy and self denial as if she had Nemesis in the same position Bolt has vagrant, I don't think she'd hesitate much herself...)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2013-01-09 at 03:00 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

20. - Top - End - #200

Doctor Dare leads the way through the portal, radiating authority. Naturally, he also times his entrance so the actual heavy hitters exit the portal directly behind him. "IT SAVES NO ONE. VAGRANT MADE HIS WAY TO A WORLD WHERE THE DARKEST OF VILLIANS BECOME THE BRIGHTEST OF HEROES. HE HAS SAVED THE UNIVERSE, POSSIBLY THE MULTIVERSE, FROM DESTRUCTION. AND NOW HE'S SAVED YOUR REMNANT FROM TOTAL DESOLATION. UNHAND THE FOOL SO WE CAN TAKE HIM TO OUR UNIVERSE. HE DOES HIS PENANCE THERE. TAKE YOUR PEOPLE THROUGH THE PORTAL TO A NEW LAND AND BE THEIR LAST SURVIVING HERO. DARE DEMANDS IT."

Dare does not threaten. At the height of his fury, any threats would be overkill when facing the danger of the situation, and any argument seems absurd. The small, sane part of him remaining knows he may regret his arrogance in the near future. But that part also felt fear, and that was just foolish given all that he had seen in his brief life.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

"Zia, we'll be back soon, don't worry." Ava and Thanatos follow through the portal and witness the exchange of words. So many are already talking, so she first waits for the current outcome. Instead of preparing words, she watches for any sign of all these things going south, making it necessary for her to patch things up again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, timezone. I guess I'll do nothing right now.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowing they only have seconds alone Vagrant's hand goes to Bolt's, prying back a finger enough to give him air to speak 'Do it.' The mad look in his eyes decries any deception. Bolt looks into the eyes of a man who welcomes death, who earns for it. Somehow he understands this man, crippled by guilt for what he had done to purchase his own survival, earning for the only release left to him.

Even to the survivors of this hellhole such a look disturbs a man, it gives his pause. Vagrant's words achieve their opposite objective, buying time for his friends to arrive. In front of them he could never beg for death. The shame would be too great, before his old friend Apollo, to ever whisper such a thing. So instead he stays silent, but his eyes still screamed their message.

A tortured look that gradually died, as old friends and relative strangers spoke on his behalf. Gradually he came to be deeply shamed by the burden he had tried to force on Bolt.

He fought for air, and finally spoke 'If it is just to kill me, then kill me. But don't do it with revenge in your mind or murder in your heart. Each will destroy you Bolt. I know. They will poison all that is good in you. And there is no sweet release, I promise you. It made me feel... dirty, empty.
    'I didn't kill your father. I killed the man who did. That should count for something, shouldn't it?
    'And Dare speaks true. Everyday back home is part of my penance. Everyday I try to redress the balance of the terrible things I did to survive. I have saved countless innocents, I have saved the multiverse itself, and all in it, but that will never change what I did. That is why my penance will never end. I will risk my life in name of innocents until the day I die so doing, everyday, because it will never change what I did here.
    'I promise you, that is my intention. I am a dead man walking anyway, do not bloody your hands with me.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

~ Claremont Ruins ~

Listening in turn to Remembrance, Shade, Doctor Dare and finally to Vagrant Bolt looks into Vagrant's eyes with contempt . . . Then he lets him go and Vagrant falls to the ground with a soft thud . . .

Bolt glares down at him and simply says

"Remember this. Always.
    I didn't spare you because of your arrogantly self serving quest for redemption or so you can complete some unending penitent march into oblivion.

I spared you because you are, and will always be, beneath me.

You are a monster, a pathetic apologetic monster.

And that Vagrant. . . is all you will ever be."

With that, convinced away from his vengeance disappears in a blue blur, though one portal and then the other, leaving this reality, his first home, forever.

What do you do?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll close out the issue once you're all ready.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

24. - Top - End - #204

Air Ace immediately drops from the sky and approaches Vagrant. "Hey, you OK? Did he hurt you?" If he accepts, she helps the mage to his feet. "Come on, let's get you out of this place, go somewhere with warm meals and running water. That was a hell of a speech you gave back at the camp, but what did you think was going to happen?"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Vagrant slowly hauls himself to his feet, his body body aching from his unexpected short, yet shockingly swift, journey. His moves gingerly, the awkwardness of his limbs leading him to pitch forward and straight back down into the ground.

The next time he accepts Ace's help 'I'm ok,' he says as she puts his arm around her shoulder 'Just... not used to travelling that fast.' He tries to stay upright on his own strength, but his legs drag and soon his weight sags against her 'I thought this would happen. That did not make what I had to say less necessary... I would like to go home now, please.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

"'back home' intersting choice seeing where you stand" Shade appears near Vagrant, lookign a thim with a bit of worry then genuine curiosity.
    "Tell me. All this things you jsut said about revenge being hollow, did you trully believe it ?" Because it sounded slightly self serving to me given the circumstances.
    That was not said out loud, needless to say nor question actualy expecting a good to honnest answer (it was more of a musing in thin air, not asked innocently, though.) In the state Vagrant is in he's probaly not in the mood for philosphical debates or inocuous questions; so Shade decide to cut to the chasse.
    "Anyway It may be a bit awkward but since you are shedding the past behind... I did have a little gift for you before we go. It can wait. But I think it's better if you dealt with this now, while we're still here." she points at the place the refugees where (stilla re posisbly ,) and leeds if he's till here "It kinds concerns them too. And It might help you sleep a bit better later. I hope
    So, if you do feel you have the strength to face a bit more of your past left without going into a mental breakdown, just go see Isiah he's holding it for me. Oh, I doubt you'd want to anway but no matter what, don't put it on. It's the genuine article."

Spoiler
    Show

@ Ladorak: Just giving a chance to resolve that issue now.
    If Vagrant goes for it, Shade will mention Dream when she gives the skull, as you requested, (but likley in some roundabout way becase I can't think of why she'd bring that directly unless asked about)

Else we can keep this for later.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-08-29 at 08:26 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

An outcome as good as any, Ava thinks to herself. Thanatos and Ava go back through the portal, back to their daughter. The mother is glad to finally leave this place, all things told. She briefly turns to the Navimatrix near them. "Navi, love, if need someone to talk to, feel free to come to me." Given all that has been forced onto Navi, Ava has a bit of a soft spot for the girl, wanting her to feel better, just like she'll do her best to soothe her family's worries once they're all home. Ava turns to Nathaniel and Zia once more.

"Time to go h- ah!" Pain, more than she felt the whole time anyway, shoots through the healer's body as it rebels against the strain of walking around unattended, her weak knees refusing to carry her weight any longer. The next thing Ava knows is that she has slumped against Nathaniel's body, weakly clinging to him with her good arm. Looking up to him, Ava forces a shaky, apologetic smile.

"S-still a little tired, j-just gimme a moment..." Although trying not to worry her family too much (since she knows she will recover once she gets some rest at home and they can figure as much), it is doubtful she will be in any condition to walk anytime soon, the many open wounds visible beneath her ripped clothes all over her body telling as much.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

~The Six In All~

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll the issue once Vagrant responds to the existence of the True Malador's phlactery.

3 PP to all characters at the end of this issue.
    Loki Avatar by Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Former GM of

Now GMing

The Raynn-Verse:
    'Some Dreams Never Die'

29. - Top - End - #209

Doctor Dare

Obviously struggling with his emotions, Dare turns towards the portal. "Yes, let us adjourn. Dare thinks we all need to recover." And winces at his own choice of words.

As they go through the portal home, he turns to Isiah, "We're ready to hear your proposal. On a private note, D...I, would appreciate a recommendation to a good therapist, preferably one familiar with the family condition." Obviously tired, he is slowly deflating as the adrenalin wears off.
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2012-08-30 at 12:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit more of your past left

Don't put it on

Don't put it on

His fogged mind saves Roland from realisation, allowing instead a slow dawning of understanding that gave him precious seconds to adjust.

Mental barriers fell into place with old efficiency as Shade's meaning sunk in.

'Malador's mask. How...' he shakes his head at the enormity of the question swelling in his mind 'How did you come by it?'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn