Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wailing Death OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Runner View Post
    Hmmm enemies as well? Might have to reconsider. I think the mechanic idea is cool, but it sort of works weirdly, especially since in a way it makes a higher con score disadvantageous. What I mean is, if you have a low con score, like 10, then you could easily bounce back (Tyrael can heal someone 4d6 at will, so could easily bounce someone back to positives round after round), but with a con score of 16-20, it's much more difficult to get back to positives in 1 turn.

Idk, I think idea could work or you could also make negative hp scale, I always thought it was weird that negative hp doesn't really scale while max hp does, so while damage/hp pools get higher the negative hp pool stays so late game attack either kill you or leave you in positives.
    Thats actually a good point. Then I will offer a trade, you get this OR the - con score hp. So it will always bring you to -8 but you die at -10 like normal. Really the - con score variant is a lesser version of this one anyway.

And for the scaling -hp. It becomes pointless after a certain point. You just start to coup de grace people. Also it leads to more threatening encounters. One of matt's homebrews has that as an actual class feature (-Hp = to max hp) and the character is a literal tank that CAN'T DIE >.>.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2012-09-11 at 12:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Revealing invisible post

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

I think the the mechanic is cool and the purpose it serves is good, but I just think technically it works a little weird. It hurts people who rely on single damage bursts in a round like nuke-based wizards or sorcerors (among other casters), while characters who primarily deal damage in multiple chunks (glaivelocks, pouncing barbarians, etc) or especially in many small chunks (flurrying monks, full attacking archers, etc) are mostly likely not going to have their offensive power negated much by this rule at all, since most likely the attack following the one that downed the opponent will kill them. It also makes abilities that provide instant burst healing very helpful (a cleric can now use close wounds to easily bump allies back into positives every round, and are near-invicible against characters who rely on a single damage chunk every round, although most characters are not reliant on this).

ANYWAYS, I'm fine with it if gabe wants it, I don't think it's bad overall it just sort of changes the balance among different offensive styles.

Another random idea I'll throw out there, that would serve the same mechanical purpose (saves you from dying, but small-moderate healing can bump you back into positives) would maybe make negative hitpoints be reduced at a rate of 1 to every 3 or 4 points of incoming damage? Idk, maybe that's kind of weird.
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

Wailing Death - Ryenos Shadowflare / Tyrael Lightbringer

My Homebrew: The Life Disciple

4. - Top - End - #64

Griffon

Just to clarify, resurgence should work against web?
    Spoiler
    Show

This is definitely not content not released under the OGL
    Spoiler
    Show

But everyone here has the SC so it's ok
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The subject of a resurgence spell can make a second attempt to save against an ongoing spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability, such as dominate person. If the subject of resurgence is affected by more than one ongoing magical effect, the subject chooses one of them to retry the save against. If the subject succeeds on the saving throw on the second attempt, the effect ends immediately. Resurgence never restores hit points or ability score damage, but it does eliminate any conditions such as shaken, fatigued, or nauseated that were caused by a spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability.
    If a spell, spell-like ability, or super- natural ability doesn’t allow a save (such as power word stun), then resurgence won’t help the subject recover."

It doesn't appear to say anything about not working against conjuration spells, as long as they have a duration, so I guess it works, right?
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Just to clarify, resurgence should work against web?
    Spoiler
    Show

This is definitely not content not released under the OGL
    Spoiler
    Show

But everyone here has the SC so it's ok
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The subject of a resurgence spell can make a second attempt to save against an ongoing spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability, such as dominate person. If the subject of resurgence is affected by more than one ongoing magical effect, the subject chooses one of them to retry the save against. If the subject succeeds on the saving throw on the second attempt, the effect ends immediately. Resurgence never restores hit points or ability score damage, but it does eliminate any conditions such as shaken, fatigued, or nauseated that were caused by a spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability.
    If a spell, spell-like ability, or super- natural ability doesn’t allow a save (such as power word stun), then resurgence won’t help the subject recover."

It doesn't appear to say anything about not working against conjuration spells, as long as they have a duration, so I guess it works, right?
    Yes it works as it is a magical effect.

6. - Top - End - #66

I feel left out :((((
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:
    Flutter: Level 20 Tristalt

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.

The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3

Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    I feel left out :((((
    Can Nike do anything?

I will post IC once I actually have a bit of free time >.>. I tend to be busy mondays and sundays.

8. - Top - End - #68

Griffon

Nike should have had some more turns to make checks to move already, but she also hasn't been rolling any of the saves vs nausea, so you would have to do those as well :\

9. - Top - End - #69

Assuming the casters were level 6 (by the fact drew said they were two CR 6s) the nausea should have been long gone.
    Still. I feel incompetent. I cant even light a fire >.< Though assuming all characters come with start packages....XD
    Okay, well, i light the webs on fire if i can, but assuming i cant, which is probably,
    Fort
    (1d20+12)[22]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[20]
    (1d20+12)[14]
    (1d20+12)[30]
    (1d20+12)[31]
    Str
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[8]
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.

The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3

10. - Top - End - #70

Griffon

Can't. Touch. This.

Assuming the casters were level 6 (by the fact drew said they were two CR 6s) the nausea should have been long gone.
    Wait, yeah, it's been 9 rounds, hasn't the cloud dispersed yet?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

The cloud is still there and Nike failed one of her saves against it.

12. - Top - End - #72

Griffon

Question, I have this ability I've been meaning to ask you about, I was going to ask if this works after this battle but I could really use it now.

Light Within Darkness (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a Shadow Sun Ninja's inner light cannot be stifled by darkness, no matter how deep. Rather, the shadows cause his light to lash out like a caged beast as it struggles to break free.

If the Shadow Sun Ninja makes a melee attack against an opponent on the round after he makes a successful Hide check, his body bursts alight with searing flames of pure liquid light. All opponents within 60 feet of him that failed to detect him while hiding must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + ˝ class level + Wis mod or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Creatures who were aware of the Shadow Sun Ninja are unaffected by this ability, as are allies and any other creature the Shadow Sun Ninja wishes to be unharmed.

Do making successful hide checks when countering work for the purposes of this ability, or do I need to make a hide check independently for the sole purpose of not being seen?

13. - Top - End - #73

Question, I have this ability I've been meaning to ask you about, I was going to ask if this works after this battle but I could really use it now.

Light Within Darkness (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a Shadow Sun Ninja's inner light cannot be stifled by darkness, no matter how deep. Rather, the shadows cause his light to lash out like a caged beast as it struggles to break free.

If the Shadow Sun Ninja makes a melee attack against an opponent on the round after he makes a successful Hide check, his body bursts alight with searing flames of pure liquid light. All opponents within 60 feet of him that failed to detect him while hiding must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + ˝ class level + Wis mod or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Creatures who were aware of the Shadow Sun Ninja are unaffected by this ability, as are allies and any other creature the Shadow Sun Ninja wishes to be unharmed.

Do making successful hide checks when countering work for the purposes of this ability, or do I need to make a hide check independently for the sole purpose of not being seen?
    I'd say so O.o
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes

14. - Top - End - #74

Griffon

I'd say so O.o
    Well, I have an alternate pran if that doesn't work.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Well yes they count. But in this situation its useless. Since the creature has to be not aware of you. Since you have been fighting them for about 10 rounds I am quite confident that they are both aware of you. Also since its a fort save that doesn't affect objects you can't use it against undead. But in general? Yes if you use a move that has a hide check as part of it, you can then activate this ability.

16. - Top - End - #76

Griffon

Actually, I just realized that the class feature is a Fort save, not a reflex like the manuever, so it wouldn't work anyways. (Although I still would like to know if going off a counter would work...)

Edit: It's ok, ninja me, I don't mind.
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2012-09-17 at 04:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Griffon

Ok, I'm not sure what to do, so I figure I would ask Demidos before I put Shard at risk.

Drew you can read this if you can do so objectively without altering the enemies' actions based on my plans .

Spoiler
    Show

Basically, there are two ways to go about this. One is to full attack Sonia with burning weapons. Unless I am extremely lucky, this will probably not kill her, and will require additional full attacking next round. However, to do this, I will most likely have to make 2 more will saves (unless there is an end to her seemingly endless dominate person...), and not get hit twice by the undead monstrosity (since I only have one counter left). This plan has like maybe a 20% chance of success, maybe even less.

The other option is to counter the most recent dominate attack, then use ethereal reminescence to heal 22 hp, and go underground where I can't be targeted, and refresh manuevers. Then pop up next turn, and use the blinding attack against Sonia. I would have 2 counters to use against an attack/dominate attempt by Sonia. If I can blind Sonia for 2 or more rounds, I will have a much higher chance of survival/winning the fight. However, they may choose to finish off Shard if I disappear. I could further attempt to confuse them by using the invisibility manuever before I go incorporeal and sink underground, and leave the wisp circling around the square where I was standing, to make it appear as if I was still standing there invisible. The monster has scent though, but he might just be confused why I disappeared, and hopefully he is unable to communicate this to Sonia. The wisp would need to sufficiently distract both of them (maybe by attacking or something), so they wouldn't attack Shard (although they might not attack him anyways, since he's not a threat atm. Anyways, this plan has a much better chance of success, but Shard might die (however, if both Shard AND Nike died, that would be much worse).
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2012-09-17 at 05:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

What round has it been since the stinking cloud?

19. - Top - End - #79

Griffon

It's been 14 rounds.

Btw gabe, nice new avatar .

20. - Top - End - #80

Silva. I cant see whats going on. Can you PLEASE move all the dead undead?
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Silva. I cant see whats going on. Can you PLEASE move all the dead undead?
    K I will. I just use them to make note of the xp you get.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    K I will. I just use them to make note of the xp you get.
    Ty. Sorry about sounding grouchy there
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes

23. - Top - End - #83

Arrrrr, mateys, shiver me timbers but the DM needs to post! Avast, ye scurvy dogs.
    Former Avatars by
    Spoiler
    Show
    MethosH

My Characters:

My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class

Completed Classes

24. - Top - End - #84

Griffon

Arrrrr, mateys, shiver me timbers but the DM needs to post! Avast, ye scurvy dogs.
    One a scale from 1 to Jack Sparrow, I give that a 7.5. Maybe an extra "Aaaaarrrrrrrghhh" at the end could have helped.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry I have been very very busy XD. I will post later tonight I have a midterm at 7:00 so that takes priority

26. - Top - End - #86

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Sorry I have been very very busy XD. I will post later tonight I have a midterm at 7:00 so that takes priority
    Ok, are you guys free to have a sort of casual gchat session laterish tonight? It would be really cool if we could finish this battle.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, are you guys free to have a sort of casual gchat session laterish tonight? It would be really cool if we could finish this battle.
    I should be free. Remember we are in different timezones XD. I am two hours ahead of West Coast Time

28. - Top - End - #88

Griffon

Tyreal quickly informs Ryenos that Sonia is escaping through a cracked ground tunnel, gesturing to where she went up. He also tells him that Shard was killed and turned into a spectre, which is running away, but could have escape through the surface. "You need to split up, search all the area under the ground and all the way through both the path up and through that cracked ground path Sonia went through!."

Ryenos uses ethereal reminescence (heals 22 hp and turns incorporeal) and half his floating head (literally dividing along the midsaggital plane) flies into the cracked ground area, following Sonia's path. The rest of him splits into various parts, and a collective army of hands/feet/forearms/calves/thighs/internal organs/ sweep through the surface back to the entrance (the body parts are sweeping 5 feet deep into the walls/ground) with the other half of the head is by itself in the actual airspace of the path back up to the main entrance. All parts of Ryenos can move 30 feet.

Also activates Formless Dance (granting see invisibility and illusions).

(1d4+2)[4] Images.
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2012-09-21 at 02:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Okay will post on the IC thread soon. Nike will be getting her own private thread. Shard, Tyreal and Ryenos are going to continue on the regular thread.

Also the next post will be LOOONNNNGGGGG..... Nothing I could do about that really. On the plus side you are all mind controlled so I don't need to wait for you to respond to Sonia! She doesn't care what you have to think! Mostly anyway.

30. - Top - End - #90

Griffon

Knowledge Geography: (1d20-1)[16]

Hopefully I will try and finish Tyreal's adaptation soon...