New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Light of Amber - Series One

Cymoril begins to pace around the room, gesturing while she speaks.
    "Look, i get that you need help. And i'd love to, but i am just an untrained mage who hasn't even graduated from school yet! I didn't even do that much in that fight earlier, most was done by the others. Of course if you had just asked - instead of abducting me - i could have told you that. And referred you to people whose job it is to deal with that stuff, who are much more powerful than me and most importantly have lots of experience with it. Who can match what your ship threw around when it knocked us out."
    She pauses to think for a moment, then goes on with her rambling.
    "But you know, maybe thats why she brought me here in the first place. So that i could get the help you need. And i am going to do that right now."

Cymoril crosses the room back to the bed she slept in and grabs the bracelet that lies on top of her posessions."
    "Sturmbringer, wake up. Sucherform."
    Jawohl Herrin.
    The bracelet places itself on her left arm and then begins to spread a mesh of silvery steel over her body. Fins and wings begin to protrude from her arms and shoulders, and a halo of steel appears over Cymorils head.
    "Begin analysis of the lower magical grid. I think we should figure out whether we're using inner or outer unigraphy here, so analyse the energy density."
    Beginne Suchlauf.
    Cymoril crosses her leg and goes into a meditative stance, ignoring the commotion around her. A few minutes later the mesh around her body begins to glow with a bright light.
    Suchlauf abgeschlossen.
    "Display the results, please"
    Various monitors pop up in the air around her, displaying complicated charts of waveforms, hyperdimensional geometry and long formulas.
    Oookay. We're definetly in the inner multiverse. That's bad, that means i have to cross the great barrier to get home. Which ican't do without coordinates. Damnit! And look at those energy densities...either my device is faulty or they are downright scary. By all means this whole dimension should be a giant dimensional rift!
    "Sturmbringer, bitte beginne zweiten Suchlauf. Upper Grid this time. We need to confirm these results."
    Selbstverständlich.
    I wish i had access to an analysis-device. This data is fascinating as it is scary. I don't get how that quantity of energy can be so stable.
    Zweiter Suchlauf beendet. Zeige Ergebnisse.
    "WHAT!? That's impossible...how can they be? They're IDENTICAL! Stumbringer, check the results!"
    Überprüfe......Alle Systeme arbeiten fehlerfrei.
    The upper and lower grid are never identical. That's like saying the inside and the outside of a three-dimensional body are the same. That's...no. Unless we're right in the center of the inner multiverse. But it can't have a center, that's mathematically impossible. Unless.
    "Sturmbringer, please display a worksheet"
    The screens in front of her move aside and a blank sheet pops up. Cymoril furiously scribbles long formulas on it, and hyperdimensional objects appear as she does.
    Okay, either everything we know about the multiverse is wrong...scratch that. Either the results i got are wrong, or most what we know about the inner multiverse is wrong. Assuming the latter, it looks like i am at one of the convergence points of the spatial expansion. Which means...that it should be possible to get home, even past the great barrier! I just need to learn more about it.

Turning to Amiya, Cymoril waits for an opportunity to speak.
    "Okay, i admit - i'm stumped. Most of your universe is way beyond me. BUT! I think i know how to get home. And if i do, i can get you way more help than i could ever offer. But i need to learn about the Neverwere to work out the coordinates - do you have a library around here somewhere?"

Translations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sucherform=Search/Scan-form. Basically a magical radar sensor, which is achieved by only manifesting part of the armor to form a net that can catch magical waves.
    "Yes Mistress" " Starting Search" " Search succesful"
    "Sturmbringer, please start the second search" [b]"Of course" "Second seach succesful. Displaying resulsts." "Checking...all systems green"

Explanation of all of the above:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, i am mixing cosmology a bit here.
    First is that from Nanoha - a multiverse of different dimensions, connected by a dimensional sea. That sea is the underlying space-time, and sufficiently powerful events can cause quakes or rifts which have bad results.

Second is the cosmology from the Cuture-verse of Iain Banks. Basically, the various dimensions are sandwitched by layers of extremely high energy density - the so called grid. There's one "below" and one "on top" (though of course not actually) of each dimension, and you can tap energy from it (which is where the energy for magic comes from, it tapped via linker cores or technology) and it's the dimensional sea you cross to get to other dimensions.

Third is the cosmology from The Open Door. Basically a giant cataclysm occured a long time ago, and someone sealed off hundreds of universes to protect the rest of the multiverse. Everything within the barrier is called the "inner multiverse", while everything without is called the "outer multiverse". In general the inner multiverse contains a lot of dangerous, high-energy dimensions - where uncontrolled magic runs wild and destructive. Occasionally things from the inner multiverse try to get out, and its part of the job of the TSAB (mid-childa itself is placed in the outer multiverse) to contain those. There are however stable islands in the inner multiverse as well.

I'd say that Amber is one of these stable multiverses - and that the Neverwere are part of the cataclysm that occurred (or even the cause if Snowfire wants, though i dont see a need for that - his call though).

How i think i can proceeed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Cymoril now needs to learn about the Neverwere - because they represent, as far as she knows, the reason why this universe is a point of congruence. Show her a library, where she will then learn that she needs to learn directly from the neverwere because there isn't enough data. Which means that she has to stick around and fight them!
    That also means that you can decide at any point that Cymoril now has enough data to attempt to get home - and that you can decice when she succeeds in doing so.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

“We didn't...erase anything.” Amiya replies. “A better term would be to say that we simply removed the actions of the Neverwere from the equation. And anyone who is not a wielder of Light – like us – is returned to being by a Reversion. Unfortunately, if one of our number falls, Reversion will not bring them back to life. We are too close to the process and the memory of what is being removed.

“As to why you were chosen, I don't know. Not for certain. But from everything I have seen, you are special. Your connections to the Light are incredibly strong, and are growing more pronounced with every hour you spend here. And those connections are totally natural I might add. You always had the capacity to be this, but we needed you now. I realise how unfair is, and I know nothing I can say will change that, but with the stakes...” She trails off with a quiet sigh.

“And you're close on some point, Makoto, but very wrong on others. The Named Nevers have been trapped since the beginning of the Age of Light, when the First Pentacle gave everything to create the construct known as the Twinned Gate. It locked the Fracture through which the Neverwere escaped into our reality in a field of Light, freezing them in place. It also formed a barrier around a large section of the multiverse, to prevent any Neverwere who managed to slip through the cracks created by the Fracture to escape beyond a certain point. That is where Cymoril came from.

“Amber guided the First Pentacle to forming, aided them in their struggle as best she could and then faded back into slumber about forty years after the beginning of the Age of Light. She is the source of our power, but she isn't really aware most of the time. In fact, she hasn't been anything you'd call aware since she faded, until now at least. The Gate kept the Neverwere contained and stopped the Named exerting the majority of their abilities if they managed to break a piece of themselves away and push it through one of the cracks created by the Fracture.

“And Amber called you saviours, which implies an importance beyond simply re-sealing the Gate. It could be that you see the world differently from us, that your perspective is what we need here. But that is conjecture on my part. What I know is that your raw power is incredible. Your main problem is that you just don't know how to use it. Your devices and instincts can guide you only so far. Beyond that, Cymoril is correct – although I think our theories disagree. You must learn how to use your powers, how to channel the Light, to shape it to protect yourself and defeat the foes that only it can stop. I have no doubt that there is more for you beyond that, some greater task that was the reasons for your being brought here, but if you are to do that then you must understand the power you wield. And be able to control it.” She raises one eyebrow at Umiko's challenge, starts to say something, then stops.

“You know,” she says finally, “if it helps, sure.” She tilts her head slightly, rose coloured light flaring within her pupils. “Cindra?” She asks softly, and her ring blazes with sudden power.

Concordant Restraint!

A field of magenta light snaps into being around Umiko, freezing her body in place but leaving her free to speak. Amiya lets the field hold, her expression and tone apologetic.

“In time, Umiko Kenpachi, you will be able to surpass me. As will all of you. But right now your power is unrefined and unfocused. My Pentacle and I can teach you how to focus the light that flows through you. But I beg of you, do not even consider that strength of arms alone is what allows us to defeat the Neverwere. To truly succeed, to become the Pentacle that Amber brought you here to become, you must learn first to control your powers. And then to work with your fellows.” She waves her hand, releasing the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina
    Turning to Amiya, Cymoril waits for an opportunity to speak.
    "Okay, I admit - I'm stumped. Most of your universe is way beyond me. BUT! I think I know how to get home. And if I do, I can get you way more help than I could ever offer. But I need to learn about the Neverwere to work out the coordinates - do you have a library around here somewhere?"
    “The libraries and training halls of this enclave are at your disposal, as are myself and the others of my Pentacle. Once you are finished here, I will introduce to Sara, our archivist. She should be able to help you with finding any knowledge you seek.” Her smile edges into a grin as she stands and crosses the space between herself and Cymoril. “And if you want something that I suspect will stump you even further, look at the scan results of this planet.” She taps one of the holo-diagrams with her finger, causing text to fill the display in front of Cymoril. “Ah, that was it, wasn't it?”

Environmental Analysis

Current planetary location: Amber (TSAB ID unknown/not found)

Dimensional Coordinates: Unknown. Dimensional shift to world was uncontrolled. Coordinates non-recoverable.

Inhabitants: Primarily human although with an as yet undetermined number of hybrids. Exact specifics of hybrid nature unknown. Additional data required.

Planetary magical aptitude: Majority of planetary population are nulls, although there are small numbers of C to A rank mages clustered in five different locations. Scans also indicate multiple S rank (or higher) potential mages – including the user of this device. Planetary population magic levels averaged as C.

Planetary energy levels: Basic scans indicate standard results for an inhabited planet of its population aptitude, however resonance patterns indicate otherwise. Further scans conducted under standard observation procedures place the planetary energy levels of Amber at far beyond SS+ (highest known achieved rank)

Additional Analysis: Amber contains – or possibly is – a highly compressed well of self-sustaining magical energy, the level of which is orders of magnitude beyond anything previously recorded. Estimated energy value within exceeds total magnitude of all known TSAB assets (personnel included).

The majority of the energy within the well is currently in use, being transmitted across Imaginary Space to billions of sources within both multiverses. Note: User of this device as is connected to this system as well.

Classification: Planet defies conventional classification, its energy levels in addition to the transmission of the majority of that energy across Imaginary Space suggest few conclusions:

Hypothesis: Planet itself is extremely advanced Lost Logia, beyond even the theorised level of Al Hazard.

Hypothesis: Only an option due to the link between the planet and the user of this Device, it is theoretically possible that Amiya is correct in her claim that the destruction of this world would destroy all magic, everywhere. If so, protection of this planet is an overriding objective. Consequences of multiversal magic failure are too horrifying to calculate.

End of Analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko eyes her opponent oddly as the magic springs to life, seeing no problem in letting her go first - she was sure she'd have no trouble countering her momentum. She knew little of magic, clearly, as the field appears ad her whole body contracts uselessly. She makes to move even a little, but nothing comes up - not a sidestep, not a punch, nothing. She instantly starts to panic, her breath unsteady, her heart racing furiously as she tries her hardest to move, even just a little. No no no no no no no, let go, let go please, I'll kill you, let go! Please... "What did....?"

Umiko Kenpachi, she calls her. She tries her best to sock her in the mouth, and still she's stuck in her rough fighting pose, her whole body useless. "Don't...call me... by that... weakling...name!" Her skin flushes red as her sense of vulnerability truly sets in, the knowledge anything could happen to her and she couldn't do anything about it - that the body she'd honed so long was utterly useless to her. When your arm betrays you, cut it off if need be - that was a philosophy she'd followed but that she couldn't even exercise now, helpless and scared. With no recourse, she screams at the top of her lungs in impotent fury, barely any different from any other teen girl's expression of unrelenting pain, until finally the spell subsides and she falls to the floor, feeling utterly defeated as she doesn't even catch herself. he face smashes into the hospital floor, a feat normally instinctively as impossible as sneezing with your eyes open.

She squirms somewhat grotesquely as she realises she has her feeling back, her face flushing more and more as she wells up. Her voice unsteady and bubbling, she tries shouting a challenge in fury at her cowardly aggressor, but no complete words seem to form. Hit her, as hard as you can, do it, you can still save face, a voice rings out in her head, to no avail. She can't even bring herself to meet Amiya's gaze, not daring to look up as she just remains, crouching over the ground with a blooded nose and swimming vision. "I... I hope the monsters kill your stupid mag - AAA-YAH!" Not even able to complete her forced taunt, she brings her fist down, smacking the floor right in a weak point. It creates a decent sized hole. She drives her fist a little furtehr, forcing her hole body down and sure enough it leaves an Umiko-sized hole in the floor as she falls to the next level's room. Before anyone can stop her, she runs off through the door of the room below, leaving only her top on the floor as a sign she was there, now covered in rubble from her rageful demolition of the hospital's barriers.

She keeps on running and running, through a corridor, jumping ten stairs at a time whenever she finds a flight - and as soon as the window looks like it's not specifically deadly to jump from, she crashes straight through it, brushing broken glass aside midair, hitting the ground running. The whole way, tears stream down her face from embarrassment and fright. "Why did I even run? Am i afraid of her, I'm such a coward, more cowardly than he- AH!" she descends into sobs, confident no one hears as she storms through the streets heedless of her surroundings. "DAMMIT! SOMEONE FIGHT ME FAIRLY SO I CAN DESTROY YOU!" she screams to the sky.

On some level aware of her bearings, she finds her way o the forest Amiya had pointed her to, the one full of things she was 'allowed' to kill, not that she cared as she storms into the place. It dawns on her that she left her hunting knife and matches in her bag back in the hospital (along with her myriad of high-class writing supplies, though other's discovering such things was not on her mind), though she pays it little heed. For all her hunger, she didn't care for food, she just needed to destroy a fellow carnivore fairly. She looks around for the first decent sized animal she says and shouts a challenge at it, heedless to danger, her eyes still red from crying. "You. Me. To the death. Now."

4. - Top - End - #94

S-rank potential? Eh, Vi-chan had that since she was eight years old, and she only managed to pass her tripple-A last year. Unrefined power doesn't really mean anything in combat.
    "Uh, okay. Well that gives at least some support to your crazy hypothesis. I guess. Anyway.."

Cymoril is about to launch a barrage of questions at Amiya as she hears a cracking sound behind her. She whirls around and spots Umiko as she jumps down a hole.
    "Uh, should we go looking for - what was her name again? Actually i think we should properly introduce ourselves first, properly that is."

She stands straight, facing the others and takes a bow:
    "My name is Maruyama Cymoril. I am 16 years old a student at Mid-Childas Sankt Hilde Academy of Magic. Please call me Cymoril."
    she raises her left arm and shows you an engraved steel bracelet
    "And this is Sturmbringer, Schwert des Seelenfalken, my device"
    Seid Gegrüßt.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, well - we may have heard each others name somewhat, but nothing like a proper introduction. Also bringing up the option of going after Umiko, though thats up to Trace.

Translations:
    Stormbringer, the Soulfalcons blade.
    Seid gegrüßt is an archaic greeting, kinda like "hail" or such.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Temeka purses her lips as Umiko gradually becomes more and more agitated then finally snaps and exits the room in a most physical fashion. With a sigh Temeka looks down at the kitty next to her. "Chisaki could you go after her please..." The maine **** looks up, looking nothing like Chisaki had earlier, and meows before rising and leaping down the hole to do as her owner asked.

"Well that was unexpected... Especially coming from the person who had been cracking jokes about breaking down. I suppose we'll deal with her once she calms down." Temeka finishes of her egg toast. "So in short we've always had these abilities but whatever Amber did brought them to the fore? I... Suppose that's simple enough. It also makes it that much more important we take a day to begin training as well."

As Cymoril introduces herself Temeka's gaze snaps up and her cheeks redden. "Oh right... Introductions... Sorry about that with so much going on..." With a cough she begins. "My name is Temeka Blass, a small time inventor and developer. The cat you've seen me with previously is Chisaki who..." Now a confused look passes over her face and she looks to Amiya. "...Was based on a design for a horse machine given to me by an older man... Amiya how often do people leave this place for other worlds? Much less ones that are powerful or have access to powerful items?"

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

The small maine **** kitty seen earlier in the hospital room comes trotting up from behind Umiko. Sits. And paws at her leg, looking up with all the curiosity a small kitty face can muster and a cute meow.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Amiya shakes her head sadly at Umiko's reaction, sudden understanding mixing with sorrow in her eyes. "I am...sorry...that you had to see that." She says softly, lowering her palm in the direction of the hole the teenager had created.

"Sweet light, mend that which pain broke." She whispers, evoking a flare of light from her Device.

Restoring

The hole ripples, the edges seeming to turn liquid for an eyeblink, then seals over a few seconds after Chisaki jumps through it. Seconds later there is no indication that the floor was every broken. Amiya refocuses her attention.

"I...think that we should leave her for now. Noyoki will make sure that she's ok if she ends up in the forest - which I suspect is where she's heading. He's good at that.

"Before the failed Remembrance, members of the Pentacles travelled quite freely. Mostly in groups, but sometimes alone. Travel is a common calling for many of us, exploring the multiverse that we still have not seen all of." She shrugs. "If you modelled Chisaki on a creation of one of our number, I likely would not know it. My speciality is protection and restoration.

"And, if we are doing full introductions, then I think it would be only fair if I revealed as much about myself to you as you have to me. My name is Amiya Tsuendri, current Ward of Amber, and overall commander of the three Silver Pentacles remaining here. I was born on Amber, and have been a member of the Pentacles since I was thirteen. I am also the most advanced specialist in binding and defensive magic on the planet." She raises her hand to show the silver ring glinting on her finger, the small stone set into it glowing with a gentle pink light. "And this is my Device, Cindra."

Good morning

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

Umiko's yell echoes across the forest, sending birds soaring into the heavens at the sudden noise. For a moment there is silence, a baited breath that is shattered by a screech of vicious rage. And a creature, unlike anything Umiko has ever seen in her life, pokes its upper body around one of the trees a ways in front of her.

Spoiler
    Show

Even from this distance, Umiko sees its eyes narrow in predatory assessment, then the thing begins to lumber forward, another screech - this one of anticipation - bursting from its beak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaand, initiative please.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Having finished eating, Daina gets up and starts moving toward the door to wait for Amiya to guide her to the exercise halls. Hearing Cymoril begin introductions, Daina plays a sort and direct response.
    ♪Daina Tanzer♪
    And my attempts to start introductions weren't proper?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The response played is a recording of Daina's mother saying her full name.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #98

Cymoril begins to blush a little and takes and bows deepy to Daina.
    "My humblest apologies Tanzer-san. I was too distracted to notice your fair song, it shall not happen again."

She then bows to Amiya as well, but much less apologetically.
    "Then i shall consult you whenever i have need of your advice, Tsuendri-sama. For now i would be honored to receive a tour of your ship, if time permits."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko barely acknowledges the cat - in fact Chisaki is quite sure that in the midst of her fight the girl doesn't even notice her. Umiko barely acknowledges the beast-thing's peculiarities -to her it's nothing more than a bear with a beak, a details she pays no heed as she springs into action. In her classic, graceless way she charges straight for it, pouncing and doing an odd cartwheel of kicks in midair that she makes look easy even in her emotional state. "So be it, die, beast! Something like you isn't even worthy of my stomach!" Even she was somewhat health conscious about eating such a mutant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics check to midair tumble, used as AC against opportunity attacks. (I'm pretty sure I can tumble with a charge, but I can't quite remember) (1d20+8)[12]

Charge action, two weapon fighting

Punch! (1d20+12)[13]
    (2d8+11)[23]
    crit confirmation (1d20+12)[26]

Kick! (1d20+12)[13]
    (2d8+11)[16]
    crit confirmation (1d20+12)[21]

Even her normal determination fails her at the last instant though - her muscles lagging from exhausting sorrow as she fumbles the attack utterly. She tries to recover mid-swing to pour out her full strength, but then an odd thought occurs - remembering the strength she had in the last fight - the borrowed strength she reviled. WIth the concern of weakness in her mind, she crash lands uselessly by the thing's side, flailing uselessly against it's hide.

10. - Top - End - #100

As Umiko bashed through the room's floor, Makoto found herself bolting to her feet, fumbling for the triangular badge that seemed to somehow contain her weapon... only to find the gap sealed before she could properly think out her next action. Still, the violent eruptions leaves the redheaded magical girl stunned into silence for long seconds, before abruptly turning to Amiya.

"What the hell was that about? Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that one of your alleged 'saviors' has just bashed through the goddamn floor in a fit of mania? I mean, I like seeing a bully put in her place as much as anyone, but still..." Makoto glances at the newly-repaired spot on the ground once again. "It's on your head if something happens to her. At least give your park ranger a heads-up to hurry - I've seen junkies who were more stable than that nutcase."

"After you do that... I think I'm gonna finish eating somewhere a little less exciting. Take the world-shattering revelations at my own pace and all." As she speaks, Makoto snatches up a few more fruits and baked goods. "Which way is the library?"
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Amiya smiles sadly at Makoto, shaking her head gently. "And would you not do the same, if it was not your belief that to do so would be wrong?" She asks. "Noyoki already knows to look out for her. He'll let her let go, but step in if she puts herself in any real danger. And all things considered, he can probably help her more than any of us could right now." Her eyes seem to stare past all of you for a moment, before returning to this room. "Sorry, now where was I..ah!" She turns her gaze back to Cymoril.

"When the Lightbringer returns from her current mission, I will see what I can do on that score. For now however, the best thing for all of you would probably be an introduction to Sara. Which is fortunate, as the library is between us and the performance hall. Follow me." She gestures for you to follow and leads you out of the room.

She leads you through the elegant halls, footsteps falling softly on the carpeted floors. Yet as you move through the building, you begin to realise that the silence that had only been broken by medical systems in the room you had come from was not a symptom of it being a medical wing. It's everywhere. Even the most clueless of you can realise that there should be more people here. It feels...empty, like something huge is missing.

Finally though, you follow Amiya through a door into a room filled with bookcases, stretching away ahead of you. There is a desk to one side, as well as several tables scattered across the space between the shelves and the entrance. Upholstered chairs ring the tables, but only one seat is filled. A girl, she can't be more than twelve, sits behind the desk, slowly flipping through the pages of a thin book with one hand, the other holding the base of a truly spectacular weave of soft white light. She looks up as you enter, and snaps the book quickly shut, the weave dissipating as she releases it to stand. She's dressed in a brown robe, with several pockets, but the oddest thing you notice is the fact that she's wearing a scarf. In summer.

"He..hello." She says shyly. "They need my help?" She asks Amiya, and the older woman nods.

"Makoto Hoshi, Temeka Blass, Daina Tanzer, Cymoril Maruyama." She says, indicating each of you in turn before gesturing at the brunette. "This is Sara, our Archivist. She will help you find what you seek." Amiya turns to Daina. "Now, I believe I promised to take you to our performance hall. Come along, it's not much further."

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

The creature screeches again, rounding on Umiko as she falls to the ground. Its claws swing, and then lash down, cutting into her despite her frantic attempts to roll aside. It tries to grab the teenager as well, but the desperate movement does have some positive effect, preventing the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take (2d6+8)[16]

I needed a seven to grapple you. A seven! I got a four!
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-08-02 at 10:26 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Having the beast pulverise her some is just what Umiko needs it seems, as the dizzying hit seems to knock her from her rut. As the beast clambers around grabbing at her, she gets her second wind, springing to her feet in a great swirl, kicking out at the thing's beak with the intent of breaking it. Planting her feet firmly as she regains her footing, she strikes the thing once more in the head with an almighty backfist, sending it careening. She hits it a hell of a lot harder than it hit her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls in OOC

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

The creature staggers back a few steps, shaking its head as if to clear it. Umiko felt a few bones break when she hit it, but it doesn't seem to care, as it screams a furious challenge back at the tiny human standing in front of it and lunges forward. Its beak stabs down, ursine claws springing forward to gather its foe into a lethal embrace.

The beak hits first, stabbing into Umiko's shoulder. Then both claws tear into her flesh, cutting deep. They catch Umiko as she is recovering, and latch on, pulling her close.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beak: (1d6+4)[9]
    Claws: (3d6+12)[20] (it critted on its second attack)

You are also now grappled.
    Show

<struck dumb>

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Her shame over borrowed powers keeps on suppressing her inner light; deprived of her abilities, Umiko is left defenceless from the vicious onslaught of the thing as it pierces and grabs her. She yelps out, the sudden system shock of the pain wiping her remaining sadness away as the breath is knocked from her. Desperately, focussing as best she can through the savaged flesh and bloodloss, she flails out, grabbing the thing's mutant appendage as she garners a moment of steadiness; with a great lunge forward of her upper mass, she headbutts the beast, smashing her own head into the thing's already busted face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grappled unarmed strike! I wasn't sure if Two Weapon Fighting would work while grappled. So I didn't bother factoring it in.

Attack (1d20+12)[25]
    Damage (2d8+11)[21]
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-02 at 12:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Cymoril smiles at the girl in front of her, not surprised by someone her age having such a position.
    "Sara-hakase, do you have any books on the Neverwere? Preferably on their history, how they came about i mean. A list of the books you have would be ideal, if its not too much trouble"
    "O..okay, i'll give you a list of the books we have and where you can find them, Maruyama-san"

While Sara is working on the list of books, Cymoril becomes obviously exited, almost bouncy.
    "So much more stuff to learn. Entire new types of magic! Oh i really hope we can spend some time here! Makoto-chan, what are you going to look for? Can i help you with anything?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Music

Umiko's forehead slams into the thing's face, just above and to the side of its beak, sending cracks slamming through it. It screeches in pain, the sound distorted by the damage to its beak, blood rage blazing in its eyes. One clawed hand wraps harder around her, pulling her away as the other swings back in preparation for another blow.

Snipe Shot

An arrow of blazing gold cuts through the space between Umiko and the creature, slamming into the beasts neck and releasing a spray of vivid crimson as it punches through. The beast collapses to the ground, battering Umiko into it as a considerable level of its mass hits her before the forest floor.

Her vision blurs, blood loss and exhaustion clawing at her as she sees the origin of that shot lower his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

He moves forward swiftly, covering the distance between himself and the bleeding girl with an easy grace - clearly at home in these woods. He heaves the creature off of her, a kick sending its corpse tumbling away. Then he kneels, his hands gently clasping hers. He shakes his head, the simple motion at once both proud and gently chastising, and chants.

"Grace of the family, flow from my soul."

A whirling pattern of amber light flowers out around him, tracing a pattern in the ground beneath them. The soft radiance washes over Umiko, caressing her wounds and vanishing the pain.

"Let these wounds close."

The light intensifies around the terrible cuts Umiko's foe inflicted on her, sealing them shut - but leaving the scars, she notices. But as her eyes clear, she notices something that wipes all thoughts of killing, Amber, Pentacles, and just about everything else from her mind.

Because in the gentle light, she can see the hands holding hers. They're average, normal human hands. Except for two things.

On the top of man's right hand, a perfect match of the Kenpachi seal glows with a faint golden light.

And, just from the feeling, she can tell that his left has seven fingers.
    Show

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko lazes for a moment as the owlbear topples onto her, partly in surprise as her energy quickly drained. I was pretty sure that would finish it off. Did I really get saved there? But then who would bother...? She forces herself to look over at him as he approaches, her vision swimming with the adrenaline of battle no longer distracting from her slump - nor, more pertinently, her rather grievous wounds. She barely notices his progress until he's by her side, healing her with that perplexing incantation. Even with the peace it seems to bring, the energy coursing through her does her no good in the end as she flinches from his helpful touch, not sure what to make of him nor his magic.

As she makes the slightest movement with her hand to pull back though, her senses now restored along with her wounds, she feels it, the fingers. Provoking her remaining bruises a little though hardly caring, she springs forward, sitting up as she holds his hands close, seeing the unmistakeable bearing of the one she sought. Of all the places to find him in...

She looks in his eyes for only a moment, before going back to the hands and then to the ground, her mind trying to compose itself from embarrassment and surprise. She goes to say something, but finds her mouth quite dry feeling, stifling a cry of 'Poppa' before it really leaves her lips. The man who knew how to get home, the secret way into the Valley. Her father. Impossible...

"I..." she forces, trying to play it off cool as she stares into space, still feeling around the seven fingers without looking at them to make sure it wasn't some trick of the light or indeed the bloodloss messing with her head. "I wouldn't expect to see so much as a shadow of Zukri Kenpachi in a place like this. There are armies abandoned by his command and families and, it seems, an entire world deprived of the presence of the First Son of King Kuzai. So surely, you could not be him..." Some instinct tells her not to look him in the face, some odd fear that she was off mark entirely. She'd never before seen Poppa Kenpachi - or, while he was in the valley, a Cliffcrush (by rite of being the Defendant [weaker fighter] in a bond of Marriage) - at least not while she was old enough to remember, so how could she be proved wrong from a simple glance? She guessed him to be middle aged (mid-thirties to late forties) and scrawnier than the other men from the valley, but she'd never seen another Kenpachi-blooded up close on account of their nobility, so how would his face be... then again, she thought, she WAS Kenpachi-blooded. But who else had seven fingers and that seal? "S-surely..."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Temeka smiles a bit at Cymoril's enthusiasm. "With luck we might even find out a little about our circumstance that we can put to use no? First things first though I suppose, Neverwere then our abilities."

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

From her position in the nearby bushes Chisaki continues to watch over Umiko. Certainly the arrival of this strange man had been a boon as even Chisaki understands that Umiko probably wouldn't have been happy with her if Chisaki had interrupted Umiko's fight. Now she wouldn't be mad at Chisaki!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide if it matters (1d20+17)[30]

19. - Top - End - #109

Cymoril smiles broadly and then takes a lecturing stance.
    "Oh i know all about our abilities. Well, maybe not all there is to know, but certainly a lot. You see, all mages - people like us - have a so-called Linker Core - a special, insubstantial organ in their body that draws energy which can then be shaped for various effects. Sometimes it gets shaped into beams of energy, or is used to move things around, or to achieve more fantastic effects like healing. Some also have special talent that allow them to..."
    She rambles on with great enthusiasm until she gets interrupted.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

"Do things like this?" Sara asks brightly, returning from her rather brief sojourn among the shelves, her long - wow, really long - scarf floating around her. Wait a second...are those books she's carrying with tha-what the hell?

Sara smiles blissfully, looking all of her twelve (or thereabouts) years and holds out a neatly hand-written list of titles and short descriptions. "Your books, Maruyama-san." Her scarf deposits sixteen or seventeen different books onto the nearest table. "I put in a few about how we do magic when I heard you talking about it." She winks, wrinkling her nose in amusement. "You have funny ideas. You should tell me about them sometime." She looks over at Makoto and Temeka. "Do you need anything else? Or can I go back to playing with my lightweave?" She asks, with the utter innocence of a twelve year old.

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

The man twitches slightly at Zukri, his hold tightening unconsciously as Umiko keeps speaking. He shakes his head again, this time in something approaching controlled disbelief.
    "Amiya said that I'd probably be able to help you more than anyone else..." he whispers, the soft words trailing off as he looks down at her. His breath hitches for a moment as he sees the seal, then he locks eyes with her. "Coincidence is one thing, but..." He shakes his head, much faster this time, then nods sharply - as if to himself. "What was your mother's name? And the name of her Hidden Technique? If you are who you seem to be, you'll know."
    Show

<struck dumb>

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko quivers oddly, not sure what to say. She finally looks him in the face, taking him in, not caring if it was some sort of trick any more as she studies his face for falsehood of any sort, moreso than even his features. With a breath she gathers her confidence. "Abigail Cliffcrush had many Hidden Techniques, but the one that sent me on my journey to find.. you. It was... unmistakably, the Galactic Punt!" He voice breaks a little with teh last syllables, as she feels as if standing on a dark precipice, not sure whether her next step will bring her higher or leave her falling. "My only clue was the seal, and the seven-fingered man, so..." she adds, as if trying to catch herself, averting her gaze. "So.. you are him, right? My poppa?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

An odd thought stirs in Umiko's confused nogin. Amiya sent him? Then how do I know this isn't some sick joke of her's to add insult to injury? I've seen more convincing and harmful illusions by magic users - accursed Tengu... She looks backup at him. "Please, say something, are you really Zukri Kepachi...?" She looks like she's welling up.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

As Amiya moves to lead Daina to the performance hall, Daina plays a short piece.
    ♪Wait♪

Moving slightly toward Sara's voice she plays another.
    ♪Audio♫Book on♫Echoes♫and♫Reversion♫Please♪

Daina waits for Sara's return. Once she brings the audio book, Daina copies it onto her music player and plays a reply.
    ♪Thank you♪
    After doing so, Daina returns the hard copy and leaves with Amiya for the performance hall. Once there, Daina puts on some instrumental music and starts listening to the audio book over her headphones while dancing.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Songs Daina uses in order are:
    Wait by The Beatles
    Check The Level by Dirty Heads
    You Wrote the Book On Love by Backstreet Boys
    Echoes by Klaxons
    Echoes by Klaxons
    Reversion by Rome
    Help by The Beatles
    Thank You by Dido

Daina plans to dance for an hour. Here is a roll:
    Perform (Dance): (1d20+18)[30]
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

24. - Top - End - #114

"Well... let's see. Bookwyrm here has the baddies themselves covered, it seems like, but I want to get to figuring out how we're going to actually plan and win this thing. So..." Makoto pauses, thinking back on everything she'd been informed of thus far. "Anything you've got on the creation, composition, nature and maintenance of the Twinned Gate. I don't like the philosophy behind it, and it seems like a stopgap at best, but it's a major defense while it lasts. While you're at it, the basics couldn't hurt either - how much manpower can the pentacles bring to bear, how many of those kickass ships do you have, that kind of thing. And uh... preferably the most concise versions of all that."

"And well," The girl glances around at the piles of information, shuddering as Cymoril makes her offer of assistance. "Anything, really. I've got no clue where to friggin' begin with this kind of thing." Makoto gestures vaugely at the stacks of books. "How exactly does one translate this into useful information without going into a coma?"
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #115

Nice little levitation spell, if maybe a bit fancy Cymoril thinks as she observes Sara carrying all those books.

After thanking Sara, she replies to Makoto with a wide grin:
    "Well we read them of course! Well, first we sort and catalogue them, then we read them. Hmm, i wonder if Sturmbringer can do this - i've never seen anyone do it with an intelligent device before, we always used storage devices for it."
    She orders the books into several rows all around her, without any apparent order.
    "Sturmbringer, can you help me sort this mess? Selection please."
    Ja, Herrin. Auslese!
    A faint glow appears around Cymoril. Thin lines ark towards the books around her. The books turn upright and flicker open while faint letters swirl around them.
    ..the Neverwere first appeared...
    ...only the LIGHT is known to harm...
    REPORTS FROM THE WESTERN FRONT SHOW
    ...my dear Sarina, we have been...
    ...i never saw anything more beautiful than when the Pentacles...
    Every few moments, Cymoril grabs a book and puts it on one of two stacks. The one next to her grows rapidly, while only a few books go into that near Makoto.

After Cymoril is finished, she points at the small staple of books and nods to Makoto:
    "Looks like most of these books are about the Neverwere more than the gates, but i hope those will help you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically the same speed-reading magic Yunoo used in the Infinite Library. Just done with a Device. One of the few magical things Cymoril has done before, with the help of storage devices. Naturally shes very proud of it, even though it's not exactly that special.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Sara frowns in youthful consternation at Makoto's initial request, eyes going slightly blank. Then she nods, smiling at the second question. "Ehh...I'll see what I can find." She darts back in amongst the shelves for a few moments, then returns with something that looks like a ledger and one extremely old book. Her scarf deposits them carefully on the table, separate to the other books. "Be careful with that one, Makoto-san." She points at the old tome. "It's older than this Enclave, and the only one of its kind." She hands Makoto a note as well. The ledger seems to be a listing of the Luminous Pentacle's assets. But the other one...

Journeys in Light it's called. A record of the First Pentacle, penned by Samaniya Nitoru and passed to her successor before her sacrifice at the Forging. reads the description.

Cover Art
    Spoiler
    Show

"Oh!" She claps her hands at Cymoril's spell. "That was pretty! I'm definitely stealing you sometime!" She looks back towards the book she left on the desk, a faint wistfulness crossing her expression. "Anything else you need from me?"

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

At Umiko's answer, the man rocks back, blinking quickly. Umiko barely glimpses a blade sliding back into a sheath on his belt, then he raises his head to look back at her again. And he mutters something at the sky.

"Teach me to think I can wander forever..." He coughs, clearing his throat. "The name that those here know me as is Noyoki," Umiko blinks as the meaning registers. Why would her father take the name 'No one'? But she doesn't get a chance to ask. "I took that name ten years ago, when I left the world you know as home. But for you to be here...and to be here now." He shakes his head before continuing. "Regardless. In another time and place, I was the man known as Zukri Kenpachi. I was the one to find the Valley you came from, and the Defendant in marriage to your mother. So yes, Umiko," he smiles, the gentle parental smile that Umiko had seen only a few times in her entire life - and most of those in dreams, "I am your father."
    Show

<struck dumb>

27. - Top - End - #117

"Oh, i'd love to! But i'm afraid we have a few things we need to do first. Besides, i don't even know how to do it without a Device - i mean, it's possible to do so, but i don't know how."

After replying to Sara, Cymoril starts to read her books in earnest.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko turns away, doing her best to compose herself. She'd thought about the moment of meeting her father for so long, but it still caught her utterly off guard. She turns back to face him, standing as tall as she can. "Then, father... poppa. There's so much I would ask of you. Why you went so far, how to get back, and what on earth you're doing here... But then, it's not like you're going to slip off again any time soon, right?" she asks with a nervous laugh.

She gives herself another good shake. "Momma sent me on the road to find my strength, but all I ended up doing was looking for you. It's been so long, and I don't feel any stronger. I've just been lost for so long and without hope... What are you doing in a place like this? You did not know I was your daughter then how...?" She gets halfway through asking her question in a composed manner before finally breaking down. Her inflamed eyes are done justice by her new tears, though these are not born of humiliation as they stream, but of a feeling quite alien yet overpowering to Umiko. "I've just been so angry for so long, I..." she whimpers, staring at the ground as she leans forward just a little, hoping for her father's embrace, not caring at that moment about showing weakness in her tears.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

"Wellll, you could always let me talk to your device about it?" Sara says, shamelessly amping up the charm. "I'm sure he'd know."

---------
    At Umiko
    ---------

And Zukri can no more stand the pain of his daughter than any true daughter can. He rises swiftly, strong arms encircling the blood of his blood, and pulls Umiko close. "All questions that I will answer," he says gently, "but for now, let it go. There is no shame in tears, kechara." Umiko convulses slightly as he speaks that last, the ancient word for beloved in the language of her people. "Let it go."

---------
    At Daina
    ---------

"Most prominent in the nature of Reversion is its ability to return those not actively connected to the light to life," the audio book starts, the steady voice speaking over the instrumental as Daina spins and whirls across the exercise hall, Amiya sitting by the door watching.

The voice continues steadily, filling Daina's head with knowledge on the nature of Reversion and how the Pentacles have used it over the centuries. How the memory of the events can be hidden from non-Pentacles as it is on Amber - and Daina's own world, the recording tells her - or allowed to remain on worlds where the Pentacles are safe to be known. How the echoes of what the Neverwere did can remain in reality, sometimes becoming strong enough to break through the Reversion that locked them out.

Of the Named Never's particular effect on the process, how acts of their aspects require far more power and understanding to remove. And, towards the end, the terrible reality that has made Reversion the only way to stop the Neverwere.

"...and although it has been attempted, none have ever been successful in actually destroying a Neverwere. Particularly powerful Pentacles have managed to disperse them for decades - or even centuries - but they have always returned. An-" the voice cuts off, leaving the instrumental still playing. Daina reaches for her music player to check it, but before her hand reaches it another voice whispers through her headphones.

"Yet they have never faced a Pentacle such as yours." The voice whispers, echoes of the music that Daina remembered following in that dream three nights past caressing the words. "When the time comes, shine, my daughter. Shine with the music of your soul, and undo that which has always been invincible."

The player hicups, jumping back to the point where it left off, and the audio books continues playing.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-08-03 at 01:53 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

He speaks the words roughly, but... even momma never called me such a thing, said pampering would make me weak. I'm kechara to him. She sniffs, speaking through her breaking voice as her comparatively tiny arms wrap around him. "D-don't tell anyone I cried, okay?" she asks weakly. Given a minute, she finally calms, having used up the last of the tears she woul shed for a long, long time that morning. She opens her mouth to say something, sure to speak up through her muffled voice with her face buried in her father's chest. "I...!" She's cut off as her stomach growls - roars, even, much as a lion would - easily drowning out her voice with the sound of unmistakeable hunger. She looks over the monster with the arrow sticking out of it. "...We killed it together. Care to share?" she asks, her normal pep returning. "I kind of left my matches and my knife back in the hospital though, so unless you want to eat it raw... Um, I mean. Where are we going and can it wait until I've eaten some? I technically haven't eaten in close to 3 days now."
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-03 at 01:48 PM.