New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Light of Amber - Series One

"Great. You know, more cryptic beastleavings." Makoto sighs, scrounging up a pen and piece of scrap paper from her pockets. The sheet was already almost filled with notes taken in the earlier study session, but there was still enough blank space for more. If one wrote very small. And was not overly concerned with legibility.

"So, what's the new intel? Given the fething machine-gun pace of revelations right now, we should probably make sure we're getting everything out in the open. More brains equal less stupid puzzle crap per capita, which is cool with me." The redhead glances sidelong at Umiko. "You... can go ahead. I kinda wish I had a phone to record the moment when this inevitably backfires though."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

"Phone?" Umiko asks, tilting her head, confused. She pouts, resealing the botle and putting it in her bag. "It's no fun to drink by yourself. You gotta do it with the clan, it's a social thing. I guess you lassies ain't much of a clan as it stands," she taunts, not really realising such things would cut them very shallowly, if at all.

Umiko heads for the door. "Fine, I'm heading to 'bed' I guess. Unless..." she turns her head to Cymoril, looking her in the eyes a little hopefully, and asks "What does the night sky look like?" she asks.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko goes outside for a while to enjoy the night sky, particularly if there's a moon anywhere to be seen. Sighing contentedly, her burden of her search lifting a little, she whispers a short prayer of sorts to home before entering again, intending to head off to bed.

4. - Top - End - #244

Cymoril is confused by Umikos question "The night sky? I...i wish i knew what you were trying to say here..."

5. - Top - End - #245

Makoto, seeing things starting to winds down, grabs a few final bits of food for a potential midnight snack and heads back to her room to sleep. That brawl had left her dead tired, and she was sure the others could avoid blowing up the building in the hours she'd be gone.

...fairly sure, anyway.

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

The Heart of Light

In the end sleep comes easily to you all; your bodies worn out by training, your minds exhausted by a wealth of new knowledge, and your souls finally calm – as if the great danger that had roused them to restlessness has passed, for the moment at least. You all know better, but the calm is seductive, drawing you down to rest in the rooms prepared for you across from the small mess area where you had dinner. None of you are fully sure of when you fall asleep, but your dreams are thankfully quiescent and free of any outside influence. The stars glitter and shine in the dark above, their soft light falling endlessly down on the world that spawned them. The darkness is passed. And a single star of gold hangs in the skies, Lightbringer holding station over the world she has protected for seventeen centuries.

You sleep long, long and peacefully, in the indrawn breath of a Creation that has found itself with one final chance to survive. Emotion calms and fades, rendering your rest utterly dreamless – for the most part. There are flickers, vague splinters of lost darkness and shattered light, but they are muffled. And when you wake, it is as if you had never slept before now.

The smell of food wafts from through doors connecting the common room of your accommodation to the corridor. Apparently it’s in the same place as dinner was – which makes a sort of sense when you think about it. A mess area is generally good for more than evening meals.

There is no one else there when you all – in your own relative time – make your way through to the room in various states of dress. For now, the Silvers seem content to let you come to them in your own time – and once you are ready. There is a note on the table containing the food though, informing you all that Amiya has arranged a visit to Megera and – if time permits – to Lightbringer as well in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #247

Cymoril is quite hungry as she wakes up, but more for answers than for food.
    She gets dressed and begins to go to the library - but returns half-way, since she forgot to take Sturmbringer along.
    Empress, i still can't believe how new all of this is to me...
    She actually starts to ponder all those events and her situation - before snapping out of it.
    No point thinking about this all by myself. Talk about it maybe, but i already had more than enough emotional breakdowns about this, thank you very much!
    With that thought, she goes to the library again.

Alas, the library appears to be empty this early in the morning - Sara not being behind her desk is no great surprise, but Cymoril finds herself unable to locate her anywhere else either.
    After a long and fruitless search, she decides to head back - when she spots a door behind Saras desk.
    Well, it can't hurt to knock...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

A knock on the door prompts no response. A second knock results in a soft, sleepy, groan. At the third one, there is a muffled thump, followed by some shuffling footsteps, and then the door opens to reveal a clearly rather tired Sara, wiping sleepsand from her eyes - and currently clothed in a bedsheet.

"Oh..hi...Cymoril-san." She says tiredly, hiding a yawn. "You...wanted to ask about something?"
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

9. - Top - End - #249

The look on Cymorils face is rather akward as she sees that she has woken up the young librarian.
    "Uhm...are you okay? If you're still too tired, then maybe i could come back later..."
    Sara shakes her head, and Cymoril goes on.
    "Well, you see, yesterday, after i ran away, i was in this room. And, well, something happend in there..."
    Cymoril begins to tell Sara what happened, supported by recordings from Sturmbringer. After she finishes, she looks intently at the girl, hoping for an answer to all of this.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Sara listens quietly, adjusting her bedsheet carefully as she does so, then as Cymoril finishes, motions for her to enter. "Come in." She yawns again, pulling the door fully open and moving back across the small, but well furnished, living area to sit down on her bed. She motions Cymoril over to one of the chairs in the room, then turns away, reaching into a recess in the wall beside her. Her hands scrabble around for a few moments, then withdraw two pottery mugs. She hands one to Cymoril and indicates the pot of tea on the table beside the older girl.

"So," she says, as Cymoril pours, "you ran to the Vision Chamber and it decided to let you see." She smiles wanly. "I would say that to be a good thing in truth. The Chamber shut down about a week ago - before Silence hit the edge of our universe - and if it's back up it means that Amber feels safe, at least for now. So we've probably got a little more time than Amiya thought." She shrugs. "As to the vision itself...there is little I can likely give you except interpretation that you have probably worked out yourself." She wrinkles her nose, sipping delicately. "Although how they intend to bypass the barrier is beyond me."
    Show

<struck dumb>

11. - Top - End - #251

Makoto groans softly as she rubs the sleep from her eyes. Her body felt rested, but... she glowers at the book on her nightstand, lying innocently in the morning light.

"...this is going to be a thing, isn't it? Dammit. I get the impression I'm going to be pining for the long, dreamless fugue that once dominated my unconscious hours." The girl mutters darkly as she slips out of her pajamas and into the first clothing to come to hand. A snug-fitting dark red t-shirt and a pair of what she was pretty sure were blue jeans of some sort are quickly donned. There is a drawer full of underwear in the closet she seems to have been loaned, but hell if she's going to strip naked in the presence of her personal stalker - even if it is just a book.

And yet... she still grabs the thing on her way out the door. Might be needed later, and she'd rather keep in in a pocket than have it keep turning up in freak corners like some literary specter. And the note was well intentioned enough that she was willing to call a truce. At least, until after breakfast. Makoto heads back towards the cafeteria at a comfortable pace, Idly flipping open Journeys in Light as she walks to see if it has anything to say in its defense.

Homebrew:

12. - Top - End - #252

"Is there any way to help them with that? If the vision chamber can show them to us, can't we send a message? Please, Sara, this is really important to me!"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm...sorry Cymoril." Sara shakes her head sadly. "It's a one way link, piggybacking off the Light channels through the barrier." She sighs. "In all honesty, I wasn't even sure that the Chamber was capable of bypassing the Barrier, but apparently it can. Albeit with some...worrying side effects." She sips again. "What happened at the end, I mean."

Makoto

The page flips open to reveal static text instead of the flowing light you've become accustomed to from the living tome. Apparently Samaniya was able to predict your reaction in this regard. There's a small drawing of an occupied bed, with some text underneath.

Adjusting to the changes. Will wake up later. Turning into a device is hard.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-12-09 at 11:51 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

14. - Top - End - #254

Makoto sighs and snaps the book shut, continuing to the cafeteria.

"Oh... fine. Geat. Yeah, have some sleep. Unlike some people, I consider that to be an important factor in maintaining a healthy psyche." The redhead pockets the tome as she walks, picking up the pace somewhat. She was actually pretty hungry, now that she was paying attention. All this nice food was going to spoiler her rotten, sooner or later.

Homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

The cafeteria is empty, although you do hear the sound of swiftly departing footsteps as you exit the common room - towards the library - as you cross the corridor. It's a good selection of food, but you find its supply of sugar-sweet junk distinctly lacking.
    Show

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #256

Makoto graces the piles of food with a glower (she spent the bulk of most mornings glowering, truth be told), but fills up a tray anyway. She wasn't going to throw a tantrum with fruit on the table, but this affront would not go unmentioned. Someone here obviously knows how to make the egg toast she had the other day - not doing so bordered on a criminal offense. Justice would be served, and it would be served with syrup. ANd chocolate chips. And the thick, kinda goopy... cream... stuff. That stuff is awesome.

For now though, she ate. A few weeks of comfort couldn't hope to squash out a lifetime of near-starvation. And she had to admit, fruit was still a novelty. A delicious, delicious novelty.

She sits down to eat. Taking her time. Her book was apparently on snooze, and if nobody was going to give her a timetable she wasn't going to bother trying to not be late, so it wasn't like she had anything better to do.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2012-12-09 at 06:29 PM.

Homebrew:

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

You eat in relative silence for an indeterminate amount of time - apparently you and whichever person ran straight to the library (three guesses) - got up before the others. Chisaki, however, does appear as you're about half way through your meal. The disguised mecha-kitty leaps deftly up onto the table with the food on it, picks up a small tray of sardines in her mouth, and then jumps across to where you're sitting. Laying the tray down in front of you, she beings eating delicately.

"Good morning!" She remarks brightly.
    Show

<struck dumb>

18. - Top - End - #258

Makoto offers the remnants of her mug of milk, though she isn't really sure if the feline actually ate anything.

"Morning. You have any idea what's going on today? I got a notice, but no timetable, which strikes me as a little unprofessional but whatever. You probably know more than I do, anyway."

Shrugging, Makoto peels open the sardine tin and eats one.

"Honestly, don't care much. Just... glad to be doing something."

Homebrew:

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Chisaki tilts her head to one side, swallows another tin of sardines (you hear a faint crunch from the metal), and then replies.

"Well, the notice implies they'll come and get us when we need to leave. And it seems like a rest day. So little need for strict timetable. Temeka is sleeping still. She was very tired." The little cat licks her lips with the patented delicateness of her facade. "So!" She polishes off another can, and then jumps onto Makoto's shoulder, curling around the back of her neck. "If you're done, we could go outside! I looked out the window and it's a beautiful day!"
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #260

Shrugging again at the notice of a rest day, Makoto lets herself binge a little, relishing the food and not stopping until she feels the button on her jeans getting a little uncomfortably tight. Rising and stretching, she gives the cat a scratch behind the ears and sets off for an exit.

"Sure. Fine by me. Need to walk this off anyway. Anywhere you want to go? I've got no clue how most of this place is laid out still."

Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

"Cats always know the way." Chisaki replies knowingly. "Outside, inside, wherever you would like to go? Within the Enclave at least." She purrs from her place on Makoto's shoulder. "Outside seems nice though. Wind is just right - or so Temeka would tell me."
    Show

<struck dumb>

22. - Top - End - #262

Cymoril leans back with a heavy sigh.
    "I was afraid you'd say something like that...well, at least i know they are looking for me. But why do you find the poem at the end worrying? Isn't that how this room works?"

23. - Top - End - #263

"Fair enough. Good kitty." Makoto leans against a door, pushing her way outside and blinking in the bright morning sun as she continues along the first path to readily present itself. She walks in silence for a little while before offering a proper answer though, and when she does, it comes with a sigh.

"This feels... slow. Aren't there things that need doing? Or... something?" Shaking her head as she continues, Makoto has to force herself to keep a steady ace rather than start double-timing out of frustration and nerves. Even at a brisk walk though, she was rapidly getting into 'I have no idea where this is' territory, just by virtue of the random nature of her path.

"Hey, kitty, you know if this place has any outdoor firing ranges or anything? Samaniya is bound to wake up and get off her lazy rear end sooner or later, and I kinda want to figure out how this works before I wind up looking like an idiot in front of everyone and have to suffer through Bruiser's jeers for the foreseeable future."

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Cymoril

Sara shakes her head.
    "It's not the poem at the end, Cymoril-san. It's the fact that, if they want to get into this section of the multiverse, they'll need to break through the Barrier. And...well I know it's possible as you're here. But with the Gate damaged...I'm not sure of what the consequences might be..."

Makoto

"Silence is gone for a time." Chisaki chirps. "And for all that you are needed, you are not needed now. So some time, that you have." She jumps off of your shoulder at your question of a firing range, and leads you off of the path, tail held high. "Practice grounds this way." She trots along, leading you through a bank of trees. "Used to be many more people her. Not so many anymore. Feels sad."
    Show

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #265

Makoto tucks her hands absently into her pockets as she walks, looking around at the woods. She still didn't really feel comfortable relaxing - particularly from a robot modeled after an animal that slept sixteen hours a day. She still followed it though, since wherever else it was leading, it was at least moving forward.

"There used to be more people here? Makes sense, I guess. This whole place seems... weirdly deserted. What happened? Did everyone get killed in action or something? Desertion? Economic slump?"

Homebrew:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Chisaki looks back, tail standing straight up as if in sudden surprise. "They...are lost. They went to the Gate. And the Scream took them." She flicks her ears in a feline shrug. "Why do you think we were needed?"

"Come. Practice is ahead."
    Show

<struck dumb>

27. - Top - End - #267

Makoto offers her own shrug in turn as she continues to follow.

"Couldn't say. Seriously, at this point? Anything goes. I keep friggin' saying that, but will anyone stop assuming I know everything? Nooo..." The redhead heaves a sigh, keeping up a brisk pace in hopes of reaching practice quickly.

Homebrew:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

You hear something that seems remarkably close to what you think a chuckle would sound like coming from a feline, but Chisaki's steady pace doesn't waver. The red cat scampers along the narrow path in front of you, leading into a wide, open space, targets arrayed along most of the area in front of you - approximately three quarters of the circle. Some of them seem to be smoldering. As you enter, bolts of light lance out from the center of the array of targets.

Four of them, to be exact, each one tinted a deep crimson. Each one slams into one of the already smoldering targets, playing over them like crimson lightning, and two of them disintegrate.

A soft tone chimes at the heart of the circle as you approach, and one of the Silvers you saw two days ago, turns towards you. It's the redhead that was trying to get through to Amiya when you first appeared. As she turns, the amulet around her neck dims slightly, clearly this particular woman's focus. She flicks her head to one side, then chuckles.

"So, someone at least decided that training might be a good idea for them." She extends her hand. "Mira. And you would be...Makoto, yes?"

You feel a gentle tap on your mind, not breaching it, but a sort of mental 'hello, I'm here!'. For a moment you suspect the woman in front of you, but another tap - this time clearly directed from the book in your pocket - puts paid to that assumption. Seems like Samaniya's woken up.
    Show

<struck dumb>

29. - Top - End - #269

Makoto lets herself stare for a second at the smouldering targets - or rather, their remains. Then she refocuses on the woman responsible for them.

"...yeah, Makoto. I'm..." Makoto feel the tapping at her mind, sending her jumping slightly and putting an awkward break in her dialog. Unsure how to communicate with the book without writing in it, she thinks 'Awesome. Now shut up.' as hard as she can. She tries to pick up her prior train of though, stumbling to recover.

"...I'm...uh, right, yes. Here to train. I, uh figure it is better to get a clue what the hell I'm supposed to be doing before I get eaten by a horrorterror or something."

Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

"A horrorterror eh?" Mira chuckles. "Don't have to worry so much about them as the Neverwere." She nods at Makoto's pocket - the one containing Journey's in Light. "You'll need your focus if you're going to train though. I hear you got a particularly interesting one too."

The scritching cuts off quickly at Makoto's thoughts, then Samaniya mutters in her mind. No need to shout...

"The targets are clever little things." Mira continues. "You can get them to simulate various levels of durability, move around, and a few other things besides. But for you - no offence meant - you probably want to learn the basics first. Your Device should help there, considering what she is. But I can help as well if you wish."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-12-11 at 07:34 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>