New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dangers of City Living

Am I the only person here who would never live in a city due to the devestation a zombie apacolypse would cause to the area?

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dangers of City Living

Yep, despite having around 120.000 inhabitants I'd feel pretty safe here.

Due to my city being on a island with only 5 ways of access, three bridges and two tunnels, it's pretty easy to barricade off any walkers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Yep, despite having around 120.000 inhabitants I'd feel pretty safe here.

Due to my city being on a island with only 5 ways of access, three bridges and two tunnels, it's pretty easy to barricade off any walkers.
    But what if the infestation starts in your city?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have lived in cities my whole life, albeit small ones.

The thing is, cities are fairly defensible (especially against zombies who won't be taking cover in the buildings) and have more supplies. Lay low for a bit, let the initial mobs pass, then either fort up or move as the situation dictates.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2013-10-18 at 08:38 AM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

In this day and age, a zombie outbreak in a city is best case. Why? Lots of people who have watched way too many horror films just ITCHING for the time to arrive when they can go rambo on the undead. Sure it sucks in movie universes, but thats because genre savvy characters are rare and in general they tend to act like they have never even HEARD of zombies before, let alone what to do when they appear.

"Oh my god! What are these things!? Why arent they dying when I shoot them in the torso? Dont worry about that bite, we will tend your wounds later."

Meanwhile irl,

"ZOMBIES! Get yer guns and aim for the forehead!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

There was a pretty good article on Cracked-com (I think) where they broke down the reasons why a Zombie breakout wouldn't be as bad as a lot of people seem to think.

Most of it deals with the fact that the zombies themselves would be very suboptimal at 'surviving' in the real world and the way of transmitting the infection (biting) isn't a very efficient way of doing it.

I'd just sit tight, board up the place and keep some golf clubs handy for if they managed to get through the barricades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tylorious View Post
    Am I the only person here who would never live in a city due to the devestation a zombie apacolypse would cause to the area?
    Maybe. I'm sure that there are other people around here who are much more unreasonable than you, but they may be so about different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    In this day and age, a zombie outbreak in a city is best case. Why? Lots of people who have watched way too many horror films just ITCHING for the time to arrive when they can go rambo on the undead.
    No.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My inlaws live in the country. A good snowstorm will put their power out for a week. This happens two or three times per winter. Take the low probability high risk chance of a zombie outbreak over the high probability high nuisance chance of now power any day.

Plus I'm not convinced I'd be safer out in the hills. Sure the zombies won't get me, but some survivalist will probably shoot me, either thinking I'm a zombie or I'm carrying supplies. I can outrun zombies, but not bullets.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I'd far rather be in the country in case of zombie outbreak. Were I home, the population density is much lower, many people have significant stores of preserved food, and generators to run the well pumps. In the event that fails, we can always boil water from the creek on the gas stove, although that would be extremely inconvenient. Were it winter, we can heat our house using only a woodstove in the country, while in a city I'd be in real trouble if the power went down.

Plus the country place's got most of the necessary zombie killing supplies. Chainmail, shotgun and a machete should be a pretty good kit for defending the home against undead.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    Maybe. I'm sure that there are other people around here who are much more unreasonable than you, but they may be so about different things.

No.
    Yes. Im not saying it wouldnt be chaotic, it would. Im just saying it wouldnt be a total massacre on the side of the living. The attackers being zombies would be quickly figured out, and considering the number of armed individuals there are, head shots would quickly become the norm. It would be a blood bath, depending on what type of zombie we are talking about, and how the outbreak starts. Patient 0 is a total nonstarter. Wouldnt even make it out of the hospital before being ended. Dead rising from the graves, every grave, at the same time? That could cause a mess, but only if they are fast. A slow zombie mass rising would be so stupid and quickly shut down that it would boggle our zombie movie soaked brains. It would ruin the genre forever.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not disputing your position on the city versus country in case of a zombie outbreak. I'm just telling you that there are in fact not 'a lot of people... just ITCHING for the time to arrive when they can go rambo on the undead'.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. I'm not disputing your position on the city versus country in case of a zombie outbreak. I'm just telling you that there are in fact not 'a lot of people... just ITCHING for the time to arrive when they can go rambo on the undead'.
    You'd be surprised.

There are a few playgrounders here who are serving in the military and one of their habits during downtime is making plans for anything or everything that might happen, up to and including zombie virus outbreaks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not saying there aren't any. But they are simply a dangerous, flamboyant minority. And even then, they aren't looking forward to it.

14. - Top - End - #14

NinjaGirl

I love the city. All my stuff's here.

Anyway, what about a Mira-Grant-style zombie apocalypse, where any mammal of a decent size can reanimate as a zombie? I'm saying away from the cows and sheep!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post

Anyway, what about a Mira-Grant-style zombie apocalypse, where any mammal of a decent size can reanimate as a zombie? I'm saying away from the cows and sheep!
    baaaaaaaah-braiiiiiiiiins...

Something I never really got about non-graveyard-rising outbreaks is how so many fictional people suck at killing just one zombie. Get one zombie, you broke even. Considering how pathetic the average walker is, and how packs of hundreds don't keep each other in arms reach to protect each other from a smashed face, humanity ever getting into a situation where they're so drastically outnumbered always felt ridiculous to me. I accept it as the plot's premise, but assuming incompetence and hysteria on the parts of almost everybody is a bit much.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-10-18 at 12:39 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. A zombie apocalypse is the scenarion in which problems can be solved by bullets. Basically any other disaster is more troublesome.

Additionally, as I prefer a strategy of taking on the zombies rather directly, being in a higher population area is preferable. Target rich environment. More efficient that way. Shots would lure additional ones in.

Seriously, it's an enemy armed only with a single really close range melee weapon, who is literally unintelligent. If that were a problem for humans, we'd never have made it out of the jungle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, something that can be stopped by a couple of hungry crows is not exactly the ultimate disasterror.

Also they're fictional.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post

A zombie cow would be absolutely horrifying...

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, it's less horrifying and more "oh dear god why did they do this?", but there's an old 80s cop flick called Dead Heat that features a re-animated butchered cow carcass attacking someone.

Moviebob did a show on it for his Tuesday show on The Escapist. It's...something else

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meh. Its only americam sub-urban houses that have thin doors and panoramic windows. Most city apartments are quite zombie proof. Just bolt the door and lay low for a while.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Well, it's less horrifying and more "oh dear god why did they do this?", but there's an old 80s cop flick called Dead Heat that features a re-animated butchered cow carcass attacking someone.

Moviebob did a show on it for his Tuesday show on The Escapist. It's...something else
    A Lee Martinez had zombie cows in his book Gil's All Fright Diner.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Seriously, it's an enemy armed only with a single really close range melee weapon, who is literally unintelligent. If that were a problem for humans, we'd never have made it out of the jungle.
    And a very ineffective close range weapon at that. A rabid house cat is probably more dangerous.

As for the matter of being in a city or the country, either or, makes no difference. I'd just fort up in my house, or with one of the neighbours so we can pool our food reserves and save on our electricity bills at the same time, and wait for the military to deal with it.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The city should provide more supplies, more weapons, more buildings. And, ok, more dead walking bodies. However, if we are talking about the classic fictional zombie outbreak, thus intending a social breakdown and lack of government, I think the most dangerous threat is posed by crazy scavenging humans patrols rather than slow stupid zombies.
    Last edited by Topus; 2013-10-19 at 10:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Couldn't link to the article with the scientific reasons a zombie apocalypse is doomed to fail when I first mentioned it since I was at work, and then I forgot about it until now.

Anyway. Here it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would be really scared if a sort of cross-species outbreak occured. One reason why:

Zombiephants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I actually think that in case of a Zombie attack, zombified rats would be the most dangerous, if they were driven to seek out the living. They can get into almost any building, are small, thus easily overlooked, and there are many. And one bite and you're done.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I actually think that in case of a Zombie attack, zombified rats would be the most dangerous, if they were driven to seek out the living. They can get into almost any building, are small, thus easily overlooked, and there are many. And one bite and you're done.
    Well, we live with and around zombified rats every day. (toxoplasmosis, anyone?) The danger comes when the virus the rats are carrying begins to become deadly for humans, rather than cause the barely noticeable symptoms that it causes today.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    We had a good example of their effectiveness with the plague that wiped one third of european people during the middle ages. And they even weren't seeking for human brains :P

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Topus View Post
    We had a good example of their effectiveness with the plague that wiped one third of european people during the middle ages. And they even weren't seeking for human brains :P
    That was more the fleas on the rats than the rats themselves wasnt it? The rats werent biting people, they were carrying plagued fleas which would jump off in peoples homes, nibble on them, and bam, black death. Zombie rats would truly be terrifying. Especially if they formed swarms.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie Mosquitos.

That's gonna end badly.