New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

See also: this is why companies have started refusing to give release dates.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

2. - Top - End - #332

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Oh, I'm looking forward to it, I've just gotten impatient. It was slated for September; that fell through. It was moved to October; just as it looked like that was about to fall through as well, we got the "Pre-Launch Post" with an explanation that the author had just finished proofing the core set, and, "hey, here's a dramatic reading of some fiction from the game." Then October fell away and still no Mummy. Now it's half-way through November and still no Mummy, and no explanation on the blog or the Onyx Path. I wouldn't be so upset, but there's been zero explanation for the massive delay. Hence my comment about the game refusing to be released. It seems like the game itself is resisting completion or release for whatever reason, regardless of what the project leads want. I never said White Wolf was refusing to release it, just that the game itself appears to be resisting. Heck, I could have said that, "it seems to be cursed to never come out," and the meaning would have basically been the same.
    I'm impatient about it as well HOWEVER.Since part of the reason for the delays were 1. Someone working on layout had THEIR HOME BROKEN INTO and files were damaged. 2. Sandy wrecking the home of the fella in charge of Onyx Path publishing. I'm not going to be irritated about it.

Both of those and some other explanations have been posted on the blogs so....I'm awfully curious where this "no explanation" stuff is coming form.In fact directly from the blog that JUST went up Monday.
    RE: Mummy. Going to look at second proof tonight I hope, but regardless of timing, there’s whatever changes need to be made based on that review, an index to be created, a review by the CCP approval board, PDF/PoD files to be created and approved for those venues, and a PoD hard copy that I need to order and approve before we can go live on DTRPG.
    Last edited by SiderealDreams; 2012-11-14 at 08:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealDreams View Post
    I'm impatient about it as well HOWEVER.Since part of the reason for the delays were 1. Someone working on layout had THEIR HOME BROKEN INTO and files were damaged. 2. Sandy wrecking the home of the fella in charge of Onyx Path publishing. I'm not going to be irritated about it.
    How unfortunate for them. I can play the misery game, too, and I actually have noted that as an explanation for my lack of productivity in my classes this semester, so I sympathize with them. That said, there's nothing on the Mummy open development blog, which is what I've been checking for the past few months, which is why I wasn't aware of those things.

Both of those and some other explanations have been posted on the blogs so....I'm awfully curious where this "no explanation" stuff is coming form.In fact directly from the blog that JUST went up Monday.
    Which blogs? I've only been paying attention to the Mummy open dev blog, and occasionally checking the Onyx Path main page, so if it hasn't shown up there I didn't know about it.

Nevertheless, I'm going to retract my previous comment about Mummy refusing to be released, and instead go with, "the game is cursed, hence all the delays."
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

4. - Top - End - #334

How unfortunate for them. I can play the misery game, too, and I actually have noted that as an explanation for my lack of productivity in my classes this semester, so I sympathize with them. That said, there's nothing on the Mummy open development blog, which is what I've been checking for the past few months, which is why I wasn't aware of those things.

Which blogs? I've only been paying attention to the Mummy open dev blog, and occasionally checking the Onyx Path main page, so if it hasn't shown up there I didn't know about it.

Nevertheless, I'm going to retract my previous comment about Mummy refusing to be released, and instead go with, "the game is cursed, hence all the delays."

Having someone break into your house and having a major storm wreck where you live is playing the misery game? Wtf is wrong with you?

Edit:nm don't bother replying I'm just going to use the ignore function.
    Last edited by SiderealDreams; 2012-11-14 at 08:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335

Having someone break into your house and having a major storm wreck where you live is playing the misery game? Wtf is wrong with you?

Edit:nm don't bother replying I'm just going to use the ignore function.
    Replying anyway. No, it's not "playing the misery game." Losing your brother in one of the most horrific ways imaginable, and subsequently getting into a wreck that totals your car isn't, either. Those are things that have happened. And fine, so I misspoke. What I meant was that bad things have happened to me, as well, and they've been interfering with my ability to work, as well, and therefore I can sympathize with those affected. I'm sorry if my poor wording offended you.

EDIT: Still convinced the game is cursed.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2012-11-14 at 08:56 PM.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

I'm... not entirely sure what you mean by "what's the point?" It's a game of second chances. You play as a person who died, or nearly died, and was brought back to life by a half-insane ghost-thing called a Geist. As part of the deal, you got cool powers and the ability to see and talk to ghosts, and go into the underworld. Your geist gets to ride along with you, bound to your soul and experiencing everything you are. It's basically a game for people who really like ghost stories that are actually about ghosts.
    So it sounds like you play a ghost version of a Ridden, and otherwise are functionally similar to a werewolf with the half-ghost thing.

Still, possibly worth looking at.

I stopped caring about Mummy when it refused to be released. Seriously, the pre-launch post was 25 days ago, where is the bloody release? Anyway, now I've started looking into fan-games. Leviathan is awesome, and I keep meaning to actually read through Genius at some point, though that may have to be put off until after I play catch-up on some of my school work.

Anyone else have experience with these or any other fan-made gamelines they want to share?
    I've got some interest in Mass: the Effecting, though the name is terrible. I am beginning to second guess some of the design decisions though, along lines of guaranteed successes on guns and a loss of morality systems. We will see once I actually get it up and running though.

Nothing was "refused". The book was in layout proofing at the time the post was made. If you check out the white wolf blog you'd learn as much. Personally I'm with the folks who are super excited about ancient immortal scheming sorcerers but hey that's why there are multiple games. Not all games are going to entice all players.
    But you can do that with Mage. I don't see the difference. It seems gratuitous, and while I know they are making games for money, I would prefer they made games that didn't look and feel like they were made just for money. It speaks of a lack of worthwhile content.

EDIT: Still convinced the game is cursed.
    would make thematic sense. Possible they are leveraging this for the whole Curse of the Pharaoh publicity bit?

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    So it sounds like you play a ghost version of a Ridden, and otherwise are functionally similar to a werewolf with the half-ghost thing.

Eh, close enough. Big difference is that a sin-eater is vastly more powerful than a werewolf. It's one of top three favorite official splats, the others being Werewolf and Changeling, so I recommend looking into it.

I've got some interest in Mass: the Effecting, though the name is terrible. I am beginning to second guess some of the design decisions though, along lines of guaranteed successes on guns and a loss of morality systems. We will see once I actually get it up and running though.
    That is an awful name and whoever came up with it should be slapped about the face with a large trout. That said, a Story-Telling system game without a morality system in place... Hmm... I can't decide if I like that or not. I guess it depends on whether it fits with the theme of the rest of the game. Automatic successes on guns seems a tad over-the-top, though.

But you can do that with Mage. I don't see the difference. It seems gratuitous, and while I know they are making games for money, I would prefer they made games that didn't look and feel like they were made just for money. It speaks of a lack of worthwhile content.
    Eh, I'm in it less for the immortal schemers part (Mage, Changeling (sort of), Vampire, Leviathan if you're willing to go outside official games can all do that, as you said) and more for the whole Egyptian mythology motif. Fascinating subject, Egyptian mythology, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

would make thematic sense. Possible they are leveraging this for the whole Curse of the Pharaoh publicity bit?
    Oh, I doubt they're intentionally having bad things happen to them. That said, I find it morbidly amusing that bad things keep happening to delay the release of a game with "Curse" explicitly in the title.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Kinda the opposite, actually - assuming you mean Risen instead of Ridden (The physical host bodies of Wraiths). Your character is the human, you don't 'play' the Geist in any real fashion, it's effectively a spiritual symbiote - you made a Bargain with it on death, it restored you back to life in exchange for being allowed to tag along inside you. It can complain if you don't cooperate with its desires, but it has no actual power over you.

A big theme of Geist is that you've cheated death, now what will you do with your new lease on life? All Sin-Eaters do help or fight ghosts occasionally, but it's not the focus of their existence the way spirits are for werewolves; four of the eight Archtypes focus on interactions between the worlds of the living and the dead, but the other four are primarily concerned with mortal affairs and interests.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A big theme of Geist is that you've cheated death, now what will you do with your new lease on life? All Sin-Eaters do help or fight ghosts occasionally, but it's not the focus of their existence the way spirits are for werewolves; four of the eight Archtypes focus on interactions between the worlds of the living and the dead, but the other four are primarily concerned with mortal affairs and interests.
    I've been wanting to play a Geist who had the most pointless, senseless death ever, and is believing that he was the target of some grand conspiracy.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    I've been wanting to play a Geist who had the most pointless, senseless death ever, and is believing that he was the target of some grand conspiracy.
    Sounds like a Mourner to me...they're the ones who are still obsessed with the circumstances of their own death.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Sin-Eater.

Unless you literally mean the half-ghost god-thing giving the Sin-Eater his power, of course. But most Geists aren't that self-aware, really.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-11-15 at 03:32 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #342

That was about as complete a description of the game as saying "It's about playing someone with fangs." is a description of Vampire the Masquerade. And this
    I would prefer they made games that didn't look and feel like they were made just for money.
    . Yeah I'm not sure what a "game that looks and feels like it were made just for money." is. That sentence doesn't make sense.

13. - Top - End - #343

Kinda the opposite, actually - assuming you mean Risen instead of Ridden.
    I'm pretty sure he meant Ridden; you know, humans playing host to spirits in Werewolf? Interestingly, sin-eaters look suspiciously like Ridden to werewolf senses, which can sometimes put them at odds with one another.

Forgotten threshold, most likely. I've got one Forgotten who died when a chunk of falling satellite lodged itself in his brain. As for the most senseless death ever... Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe a string of unfortunate events, one right after the next, until one finally killed him?

Sounds like a Mourner to me...they're the ones who are still obsessed with the circumstances of their own death.
    Could be. Might be a Reaper, too, planning to hunt down those he believes are behind his series of unfortunate events.

14. - Top - End - #344

I'm pretty sure he meant Ridden; you know, humans playing host to spirits in Werewolf? Interestingly, sin-eaters look suspiciously like Ridden to werewolf senses, which can sometimes put them at odds with one another.

Forgotten threshold, most likely. I've got one Forgotten who died when a chunk of falling satellite lodged itself in his brain. As for the most senseless death ever... Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe a string of unfortunate events, one right after the next, until one finally killed him?

Could be. Might be a Reaper, too, planning to hunt down those he believes are behind his series of unfortunate events.
    Oh, okay. I'm not really up on Werewolf, so I guess that does make sense. Why can't White Wolf use a thesaurus when it writes new game lines?

I dunno about the Reaper archetype though - they are killers, but they're all about making the world a better place by killing people who 'need to die', not so much personal vengeance. Unless he's also got the Megalomania derangement, it would be stretching it to connect 'the world is better off' with 'people who personally oppose me are dead'.

15. - Top - End - #345

Oh, okay. I'm not really up on Werewolf, so I guess that does make sense. Why can't White Wolf use a thesaurus when it writes new game lines?

I dunno about the Reaper archetype though - they are killers, but they're all about making the world a better place by killing people who 'need to die', not so much personal vengeance. Unless he's also got the Megalomania derangement, it would be stretching it to connect 'the world is better off' with 'people who personally oppose me are dead'.
    I was thinking more along the lines of "there are people out there who kill random people for inexplicable reasons, they need to die before they can kill again," but you have a point. I tend to favor the Necromancer, Celebrant, and Advocate archetypes, so... yeah.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I've recently taken it into my head to look into more of these fanmade splats. I like what I've seen of Leviathan so far, and I like the concept of Genius, but I would really like to hear more about various fanmade lines. Like, which ones are of good quality, and which ones are particularly crapfully crap? How do they rate, power level wise. Of particular note to me are the ones I saw referenced on tvtropes: Genius the Transgression, Leviathan the Tempest, Princess the Hopeful, Djinn the Binding, and Dragon the Embers.

Anything that anyone here can tell me about these is much appreciated

17. - Top - End - #347

I looked into Dragon a while back. Just a bit, as it didn't really catch my interest once I dug in past the title. It seems more than a tad bleak, like Wraith: the Oblivion level bleak, but I have no idea how the mechanics work.

I haven't looked into Djinn at all, but I think somebody mentioned it earlier as needing a lot of work.

Leviathan is good, and I don't know much about Genius.

As for Princess... It's hilarious. I haven't actually looked into the rules, but it looks hilarious. It's a game about Magical Girls in the World of Darkness. I don't know any of the mechanics behind it, but Magical Girls in the World of Darkness. Any way you look at it, that's funny.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Go watch Madoka and come back about how Magical Girls couldn't fit into WoD's dark/horror setting
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

As for Princess... It's hilarious. I haven't actually looked into the rules, but it looks hilarious. It's a game about Magical Girls in the World of Darkness. I don't know any of the mechanics behind it, but Magical Girls in the World of Darkness. Any way you look at it, that's funny.
    You really should look at the mechanics before judging that game.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    You really should look at the mechanics before judging that game.
    I'm not saying it's bad, just that I find the concept hilarious. Is it actually playable?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I am primarily concerned with how these various fanlines hold up mechanically.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Banned

That is an awful name and whoever came up with it should be slapped about the face with a large trout. That said, a Story-Telling system game without a morality system in place... Hmm... I can't decide if I like that or not. I guess it depends on whether it fits with the theme of the rest of the game. Automatic successes on guns seems a tad over-the-top, though.
    The morality could be pretty easy, since they're mortals. It depends on how gritty a space military game you want; how many murder-related detangements until PTSD? Etc.

The weapons and such actually make sense at first, and then after leanin the WoD system I'm back to not sure. In effect, a five dice shotgun is more accurate than a three dice pistol due to how the math plays out. Their idea was to change guns from extra dice, to extra successes. A shotgun is guaranteed to do more damage, but you can't eyeball a shotgun into a sniper weapon by firing two dice at extreme range to the pistol's chance die. All guns are Firearms + Dexterity, +/– circumstances.

Armor likewise, rather than being more defense, subtracts successes from attacks. Heavy duty space marine armor would probably actually work that way, too, given what I know of physics. Couple with shields/barriers (extra health lost first, not affected by armor) and you've got a strange mix of lethal and safe that balances out... To something. I'd have to give it an honest try before saying how it stacks up.

Eh, I'm in it less for the immortal schemers part (Mage, Changeling (sort of), Vampire, Leviathan if you're willing to go outside official games can all do that, as you said) and more for the whole Egyptian mythology motif. Fascinating subject, Egyptian mythology, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Fair enough. It will be interesting. Although I expect they won't go with a purely Egyptian mythological base, I've been surprised before.

Oh, I doubt they're intentionally having bad things happen to them. That said, I find it morbidly amusing that bad things keep happening to delay the release of a game with "Curse" explicitly in the title.
    Likewise.

Kinda the opposite, actually - assuming you mean Risen instead of Ridden (The physical host bodies of Wraiths). Your character is the human, you don't 'play' the Geist in any real fashion, it's effectively a spiritual symbiote - you made a Bargain with it on death, it restored you back to life in exchange for being allowed to tag along inside you. It can complain if you don't cooperate with its desires, but it has no actual power over you.
    Yes. With the mechanics of ghosts and spirits being almost identical, aside from flavor and most feared arcanum, it sounds like a ghost version of spirit possession.

Ridden are peopleso in tune and affected by a spirit it possesses or merges with them. Superficially, replace spirit with gheist and you're there.

That was about as complete a description of the game as saying "It's about playing someone with fangs." is a description of Vampire the Masquerade.
    That is why I was asking for a full description, yes.

And this . Yeah I'm not sure what a "game that looks and feels like it were made just for money." is. That sentence doesn't make sense.
    Of course it doesn't, you cut it out of the context that makes it make sense. A cell tells you little about an organism. A sentence without its paragraph is likewise too narrow.

Businesses exist to make money. This is not the sole purpose, but it's also not wrong. White Wolf is a business. They make products so that people will buy them. however, with the amount of stuff they produce, it is an understandable fear that they are producing a large quantity of goods, without any quality. If there is nothing to be gained from another expansion, and they make it anyway, we can surmise they want money for their new product but don't care enough to make that product worth the money they want. In the music industry, this is referred to as "selling out".

Now, given that it looks like Mummy could be handled just fine by Mage, and that I am somewhat hesitant that they can put a sufficiently unique spin on Egyptian mythology while still fitting it into their setting, and as such I have voiced concern that maybe they are producing a lackluster product, which would be an obvious gamble solely to get more money, despite the book not bein worth it's typeface.

At least they are aware of the similarities then.

Walked through an amusement park, narrowly avoiding Final Destination-esque death, gets captured by a psychopath A-la SAW but is rescued by the police within minutes, walks past a bank that explodes and avoids a police-bad guy firefight, decides not to take the subway right before an earthquake collapses the tunnel, and then gets home, goes to bed...

... Wakes up and slips in a puddle from his cat knocking over the water bowl, stoving his head in.

Where do I find this gem?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

<Business RE:Mass Effect/WoD game thing>
    That's kind of my point, space marine morality is going to be very different from civilian morality. Killing an enemy combatant isn't going to unsettle them, for instance. WoD's morality systems haven't been very good at doing that. Regular morality... the distinction is questionable. Werewolf's Harmony does it nicely, except for fighting the Pure. And don't get me started on how a Sin-Eater is supposed to maintain Synergy when they're a Reaper.

As for the weapons and armor, I guess that makes sense. Seems pretty well divorced from basic WoD standard, though.

Fair enough. It will be interesting. Although I expect they won't go with a purely Egyptian mythological base, I've been surprised before.
    Here's hoping.

Likewise.
    Thank you.

Walked through an amusement park, narrowly avoiding Final Destination-esque death, gets captured by a psychopath A-la SAW but is rescued by the police within minutes, walks past a bank that explodes and avoids a police-bad guy firefight, decides not to take the subway right before an earthquake collapses the tunnel, and then gets home, goes to bed...

... Wakes up and slips in a puddle from his cat knocking over the water bowl, stoving his head in.
    Not bad. I think we can do better, though. Instead of dying when he hits his head, he just loses consciousness. His wife calls 911, they take him to the hospital, while he's in the ambulance it loses control on a patch of black ice. While it spins, the back door pops open, he goes flying out, slams into a tree, causing a bunch of snow to fall on him. The snow wakes him up, he picks himself up, sees his wife and the ambulance guys looking for him, calls out to them...

...And that's when the branch snaps and hits him on the head, killing him.

25. - Top - End - #355

That's kind of my point, space marine morality is going to be very different from civilian morality. Killing an enemy combatant isn't going to unsettle them, for instance. WoD's morality systems haven't been very good at doing that. Regular morality... the distinction is questionable. Werewolf's Harmony does it nicely, except for fighting the Pure. And don't get me started on how a Sin-Eater is supposed to maintain Synergy when they're a Reaper.
    Easy enough if you can rules lawyer your GeistStoryteller - as long as a Reaper doesn't kill accidentally or impulsively, the only sin he has to worry about is Serial Murder at Level 2. The strict definition of a Serial Killer is three or more murders in a month, with downtime between sprees...so as long as you don't kill more than once every 16 days, you'll never be guilty of Serial Murder.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-17 at 12:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Banned

I would disagree. Since we are already legislating morality at all, I think it is safe to say that proper military training puts you at 6 and gives the Werewolf crusader thing, where killing in the line of duty can be retroactively made not a sin. Highly skilled branches also teach the meditative mind merit. since stuff like special forces and all are suggested to have one of resolve/composure at three and the other at four or thereabouts, we could the sniper setting up his nest, assembling the gun, checking his sights, vectors an plan, and mulling over scenarios as meditative motion.

It's when you get stuff like squad mates giving surrendering enemies a double-tap or having to go off orders to get something done that you really suffer degradation, like an actual soldier. But one of the points of mass effect is the reactions are very human and, with the exception of Shepard from game 2 onward, very fallible and believable in nature. Standard morality in mass effect wouldn't be any different than using the Dogs of War supplement.

As for the weapons and armor, I guess that makes sense. Seems pretty well divorced from basic WoD standard, though.
    aye. That and biotics/tech use is where it starts to lose its charm. nWoD isn't a combat system. Making it into one seems to miss the point.

Not bad. I think we can do better, though. Instead of dying when he hits his head, he just loses consciousness. His wife calls 911, they take him to the hospital, while he's in the ambulance it loses control on a patch of black ice. While it spins, the back door pops open, he goes flying out, slams into a tree, causing a bunch of snow to fall on him. The snow wakes him up, he picks himself up, sees his wife and the ambulance guys looking for him, calls out to them...

...And that's when the branch snaps and hits him on the head, killing him.
    Hm. Workable. I think I went from zany wonky death at the beginning to contrasting the pointless mundanity of his death to all the events around him at the end. I'm not sure which way to take it, but I love the spinning ambulance.

Easy enough if you can rules lawyer your GeistStoryteller - as long as a Reaper doesn't kill accidentally or impulsively, the only sin he has to worry about is Serial Murder at Level 2. The strict definition of a Serial Killer is three or more murders in a month, with downtime between sprees...so as long as you don't kill more than once every 16 days, you'll never be guilty of Serial Murder.
    Aren't serial killers also defined by a specific MO? Rituals and such? If joe Schmoe gets a brick to the noggin and jack B. nimbleton eats a torso full of lead, you're also avoiding the serial murder bit.

Er, aside from the serial murdering.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Someone should run a Genius-Princess-Leviathan crossover game.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. With the mechanics of ghosts and spirits being almost identical, aside from flavor and most feared arcanum, it sounds like a ghost version of spirit possession.

Ridden are peopleso in tune and affected by a spirit it possesses or merges with them. Superficially, replace spirit with gheist and you're there.
    You could absolutely mod Sin-Eaters to get Ridden, although you'd need to change most of their Manifestations and Keys, replace some Ceremonies, rework how their Synergy works (which would likely be different for each kind of spirit)...

I would unironically play the hell out of this.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-11-17 at 05:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I would unironically play the hell out of this.
    As would I. Hell yes, as would I.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wouldn't...

...wouldn't that be a Dexter's Lab RPG?