New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    Wouldn't...

...wouldn't that be a Dexter's Lab RPG?
    ..... YESSSSSSSSSS

(sorry Glyph for the caps )

We need to find an ST though. Because I am sick and tired of getting a good game idea and turning around to run the game myself
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

Wouldn't...

...wouldn't that be a Dexter's Lab RPG?
    I'm in.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Dexter's Lab RPG? Do Want.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dexter's Lab/Powerpuff Girls crossover RPG, honestly. I don't recall too many magical girls showing up in Dexter's Laboratory. I could be mistaken, though.

Either way, as Glyphstone said, do want.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, hey. Does anyone have alternate rules for Disquiet? They're at the whim of very fickle dice right now, and it's hard to run a game when Toxxie walks into a convenience store and accidentally rolls a blazing success on his "creepy dude" superpowers.

I was thinking of making so it's linked to Azoth expenditure in front of NPCs and linked to their resistance trait somehow, bu I don't know how to implement the rising curve properly.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Eh...if you don't want the world to randomly start hating your guts at the most inconvenient times, why would you want to play Promethean?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Eh...if you don't want the world to randomly start hating your guts at the most inconvenient times, why would you want to play Promethean?
    Because Prometheans have awesome powers and an amazing character arc that works even without every NPC you meet immediately hating your guts, and in fact can work better if you can actually interact with the NPCs?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #368

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Because Prometheans have awesome powers and an amazing character arc that works even without every NPC you meet immediately hating your guts, and in fact can work better if you can actually interact with the NPCs?
    Yeah, I like to use the Promethean books for NPCs and general splat-diving, but actually running a game of it would be torture. The rules make it almost impossible to interact with society, unless you want to play a "road trip" game where you hit a new town every week and the only recurring NPCs are villains or creepy pseudo-angels.

It's especially bad because it actively undermines the whole point of Frankenstein and the idea of the noble monster; the persecution of the Prometheans isn't supposed to be their fault. But the rules make it completely impossible to show genuine hatred towards them; the humans aren't bigots or ruled by fear, they're just too weak to withstand the magical "hate me" aura. And the reason they get run out of town has nothing to do with people hating and fearing them... their presence actually does ruin the land around them, so the torches and pitchforks are the logical solution!

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu View Post
    Oh, hey. Does anyone have alternate rules for Disquiet? They're at the whim of very fickle dice right now, and it's hard to run a game when Toxxie walks into a convenience store and accidentally rolls a blazing success on his "creepy dude" superpowers.

I was thinking of making so it's linked to Azoth expenditure in front of NPCs and linked to their resistance trait somehow, bu I don't know how to implement the rising curve properly.
    I doubt it will happen but given the comments about Disquiet on the GenCon panels. Hopefully some time Promethean will receive a SexMurder style treatment with new Disquiet rules, much like how SexMurder will have new rules to replace and/or alter Predator's Taint.
    Last edited by SiderealDreams; 2012-11-18 at 01:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of changes to Predator's Taint, I'm looking forward to seeing them. I get what they tried to do with the original rules, but they don't really work terribly smoothly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    I don't recall too many magical girls showing up in Dexter's Laboratory.
    Deedee is either a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl or the mundane persona of a Princess.

12. - Top - End - #372

Deedee is either a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl or the mundane persona of a Princess.
    Fair enough. What about Leviathans in Dexter's Lab? Been a while since I saw that show.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

DeeDee's imaginary friend.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    DeeDee's imaginary friend.
    ... Oh yeah, I remember him now! Big...flying...dragon-thing. So yeah, I'm fully convinced now. That crossover would be Dexter's Lab the RPG. Or possibly Laboratory: the Dextering.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2012-11-18 at 09:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since no one seems to have answered this:

From what we know of Mummy: The Curse, you play as either one of the periodically-reviving nobility of the pre-Egyptian Nameless Empire of Irem (Irem was the capital, by the way), or a member of the cults they set up during periods of activity. Uniquely, Mummies start at Power Stat 10, and slowly lose dots as the Sekhem (essentially non-Supernal magic, its older than that) that keeps the Arisen awake runs out until they hit zero and go back to sleep again. There's also a group of hunters who want that Sekhem, mysterious monsters who aren't pleased with the Arisen cheating death over and over again, and the fact that Mummy morality is exactly what you'd expect from entitled noblemen from an age where "death by barbarian" was a quite real possibility.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Fair enough. What about Leviathans in Dexter's Lab? Been a while since I saw that show.
    Dexter dragged at least one Eldritch Abomination into the world using a dimensional portal.

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Yeah, I like to use the Promethean books for NPCs and general splat-diving, but actually running a game of it would be torture. The rules make it almost impossible to interact with society, unless you want to play a "road trip" game where you hit a new town every week and the only recurring NPCs are villains or creepy pseudo-angels.

It's especially bad because it actively undermines the whole point of Frankenstein and the idea of the noble monster; the persecution of the Prometheans isn't supposed to be their fault. But the rules make it completely impossible to show genuine hatred towards them; the humans aren't bigots or ruled by fear, they're just too weak to withstand the magical "hate me" aura. And the reason they get run out of town has nothing to do with people hating and fearing them... their presence actually does ruin the land around them, so the torches and pitchforks are the logical solution!
    The problem with removing Disquiet and/or the Wasteland is that it drastically changes the tone of the game, to the point where you have to rewrite pretty much the whole thing, fluff-wise. The entire point of Promethean is that being a Promethean is so terrible that becoming a homeless mortal with no legal identity qualifies as a GOOD END for the character. This is mostly accomplished via Disquiet (people hate you) and the Wasteland (the world hates you). Without those things, you're an ugly, potentially immortal guy with superpowers. Which is cool, I guess, but doesn't come with much in the way of built-in conflict. There are people who'd hate Prometheans anyway, even with no logical reason, but those people hate a lot of humans too. So you end up with a NWoD gameline where the protagonists are better off than mortals in pretty much every way (even the ugliness only shows up if the character uses his or her powers). Even Geist had "and if you don't use your powers responsibly, a burglar will kill Uncle Ben ghosts will haunt you forever" to keep it from becoming a nonstop party that all the PCs are invited to. So what replaces the hate plague as a creator of conflict?

I've thought about altering Disquiet and the Wasteland so that they only start to build up when the characters upset people for non-Disquiet reasons and/or use their powers. Something along those lines would make it possible for PCs to stay in one place for longer than a few days while still retaining the game's central themes. Unfortunately, I haven't written down these changes yet.

Re: fansplats. I love what I've read of Leviathan, but don't want to get into a game of it until it's all finished and exists in downloadable, non-wiki form. The little bit I've read of Princess seemed alright for the genre, which I'm not really a fan of unless we count Bewitched (which most of the early magical girl anime were inspired by) and/or Revolutionary Girl Utena. Genius is... odd. I like it, but not as a horror game. There are some genuinely sad/creepy elements in it that could be played for horror, but it seemed like the writers were torn between that and "OMG TEH LAZARS!!11!" I'd probably like it more if it didn't refer to the World of Darkness at all, and was just Dexter's Lab: The RPG.

That said, I've been considering using the Purified from the Immortals splatbook as the basis for a nephilim template, so take any criticism I have of someone else's homebrew with a grain of salt. No accounting for taste and all that.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    Since no one seems to have answered this:

From what we know of Mummy: The Curse, you play as either one of the periodically-reviving nobility of the pre-Egyptian Nameless Empire of Irem (Irem was the capital, by the way), or a member of the cults they set up during periods of activity. Uniquely, Mummies start at Power Stat 10, and slowly lose dots as the Sekhem (essentially non-Supernal magic, its older than that) that keeps the Arisen awake runs out until they hit zero and go back to sleep again. There's also a group of hunters who want that Sekhem, mysterious monsters who aren't pleased with the Arisen cheating death over and over again, and the fact that Mummy morality is exactly what you'd expect from entitled noblemen from an age where "death by barbarian" was a quite real possibility.
    On the cult members. I'm rather curious to see how their ghoul analogue works out. Also Greg Stolze mentioned getting a line along the lines of "Immortal god-kings don't have to appeal to values voters." in the book. Also curious what the Judges of Duat end up being and what sort of mechanics are in place to create the ancient cursed artifacts of Iram.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Specifically? I can't remember any abilities for Hunter: the Vigil that do this. Unless you're talking about Hunter: the Reckoning, where there is at least one.
    There's the lovely bleeder, prima dictum for the Lucifuge (Basically telling a Vampire to shut up and sit down, on an exceptional success they lose the ability to use their powers), a couple of elixirs, the entirety of the Goetic Gospels, and a couple of other things.

SPEAKING OF HUNTER:
    How do the Lucifuge get their money?
    The Lucifuge are one of the conspiracies that give a paybump when sufficient status is acquired, but I'm not seeing a huge source of income here.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-11-19 at 03:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380

The problem with removing Disquiet and/or the Wasteland is that it drastically changes the tone of the game, to the point where you have to rewrite pretty much the whole thing, fluff-wise. The entire point of Promethean is that being a Promethean is so terrible that becoming a homeless mortal with no legal identity qualifies as a GOOD END for the character. This is mostly accomplished via Disquiet (people hate you) and the Wasteland (the world hates you). Without those things, you're an ugly, potentially immortal guy with superpowers. Which is cool, I guess, but doesn't come with much in the way of built-in conflict. There are people who'd hate Prometheans anyway, even with no logical reason, but those people hate a lot of humans too. So you end up with a NWoD gameline where the protagonists are better off than mortals in pretty much every way (even the ugliness only shows up if the character uses his or her powers). Even Geist had "and if you don't use your powers responsibly, a burglar will kill Uncle Ben ghosts will haunt you forever" to keep it from becoming a nonstop party that all the PCs are invited to. So what replaces the hate plague as a creator of conflict?

I've thought about altering Disquiet and the Wasteland so that they only start to build up when the characters upset people for non-Disquiet reasons and/or use their powers. Something along those lines would make it possible for PCs to stay in one place for longer than a few days while still retaining the game's central themes. Unfortunately, I haven't written down these changes yet.
    S'why I wanted to link it to power use. I want people to have to think hrd about the decision "do I take the easy way out and reveal The Hulk or do I clench my teeth and try to be Bruce for a little longer?" That way Disquiet isn't at the whim of fickle dice but is still an inevitability, and you have the potential for that one really mentally resistant human to be sad to watch them go while the piano music plays.

Maybe you could suffer Disquiet to get back a smidgen of Pyros or stave off the Wasteland. The longer you stay, the more you can choose to either affect the landscape or the people, but at some point, you still have to move on because either one of them has gone crazy.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Soo....

Some scientists (Geniuses) poke around an ancient seal on the moon that they really shouldn't have been and inadvertently release the Queens (from Princess). The arcane backlash from the release of the seal awakens the ancient blood in certain humans, who begin to change in dramatic ways (Leviathan).
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382

BlueKnightGuy

You don't need to manufacture conflict; the WoD is a ****ty enough place as it is that there really isn't a reason for it. If you want the Prometheans to be outcasts, you've really got to give them traits which give them a logical reason for being cast out.

Take Frankenstein's Monster in Frankenstein; he was smarter, stronger, and had a force of will much greater than any mortal man, but he also looked like a bunch of dead bodies sown together. He was hated and feared because humans were too small-minded to see past his monstrous appearance to the man beneath. That is literally 1/2 of the entire theme of the book. So why are Prometheans only ugly part of the time? Make them really look like monsters, they won't need Disquiet to be outcasts.

(Of course that means ditching the Galateans, but seriously screw Galateans. Just because it's a "mature" game doesn't mean you need every game-line to have a "sexy" bloodline; vampires and changelings, okay I can see it, but do we really need sexy Frankenstein's Monsters? What does that accomplish?)

Another thing they could do is the old standby "Instant Persecution Just Add Military." Have Task Force Valkyrie or the Chiron Corporation or the Seers of the Throne or some new group or all of them put together hunting the Prometheans. In our modern society, an organization with enough money and willpower can eventually find anyone anywhere unless they work to stay off the grid. There's no need for Wasteland when a watchlist does the same thing but less stupidly.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Soo....

Some scientists (Geniuses) poke around an ancient seal on the moon that they really shouldn't have been and inadvertently release the Queens (from Princess). The arcane backlash from the release of the seal awakens the ancient blood in certain humans, who begin to change in dramatic ways (Leviathan).
    Yes.

Now someone run it.

:|
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    There's the lovely bleeder, prima dictum for the Lucifuge (Basically telling a Vampire to shut up and sit down, on an exceptional success they lose the ability to use their powers), a couple of elixirs, the entirety of the Goetic Gospels, and a couple of other things.

SPEAKING OF HUNTER:
    How do the Lucifuge get their money?
    The Lucifuge are one of the conspiracies that give a paybump when sufficient status is acquired, but I'm not seeing a huge source of income here.
    Take a family that comes from "Old Money" and now make the Lucifuge as an organization come from "Really Old Money". The Lucifuge herself is ancient. I would suspect that she and other old members of the conspiracy have used their considerable time to finance their group.

25. - Top - End - #385

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    (Of course that means ditching the Galateans, but seriously screw Galateans. Just because it's a "mature" game doesn't mean you need every game-line to have a "sexy" bloodline; vampires and changelings, okay I can see it, but do we really need sexy Frankenstein's Monsters? What does that accomplish?)
    Then again, Frankenstein girls WILL seem strangely sexy...

Ahahaha.
    Aha.
    Ah.

I need a goddamn doctor.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I think Galateids are an interesting thematic point. Each of the (ugh, what's the jargon) bestowments (?) is an answer to the question "What is the motive that would cause you to create life?"

The answers given are
    As a child- Frankenstein
    As a slave- Tammuz
    As a lover- Galateid
    As an appeasement- Ulgan
    As an idol- Osirian

The Frankenstein "Spurned Child" theme is at the very heart of the gameline, but I would say Tammuz and Galateid are both quite fundamental too. As derivations of the theme, it would ring a bit hollow if they were left out.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Yes.

Now someone run it.

Not me. I don't know enough about WoD to run it.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Galatea herself fits the myth background perfectly. I don't consider them "the obligatory sexy [category]", because every Promethean is tragic in different ways. The Galateids were still created and abandoned, still hated by humanity, still cold stone animated by blood and Pyros.

I'm not a huge fan of how their Disquiet generally takes a sexual tint, but it's somewhat fitting, since they partially express the theme of people created specifically to act as lovers or sex objects. No matter what they try to do, they can't get away from the fact that this is what they're for, this is how everyone sees them. Rather maddening.

29. - Top - End - #389

Planetar

Yes.

Now someone run it.

While I'm unable to host a game for some time, the same can't be said otherwise. In short, count me in as a pc.
    Last edited by ocel; 2012-11-25 at 11:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Yes.

Now someone run it.

Don't look at me. I only know one of those systems, and I've never run a game anyway. Though I have started reading through Princess. I am impressed so far. It seems like an awesome game that I would probably enjoy playing at some point. ...After getting to play a leviathan.