New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default AVB - The Financial One

This thread is for Morithias and GM(s) ONLY. Please do not read it otherwise.

Inside is a small workshop, about twenty feet by forty feet. On entering, one does not find a true proper shop area, and there is often at least one apprentice working on something. Hagan can sometimes be found wandering about the shop and always takes a moment to attend to customers when they enter. A nymph minds the counter near the front door which separates the entryway from the workshop.

"Well hello and welcome to Erbauer's! How might I help you this evening?"

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    She approaches the counter and gives a sleight bow to the person keeping store being careful not to show weakness or arrogance, but neutrality, a merchant regardless of alignment much never show bias yet they gain a bad reputation.

"May I please request an audience with one Hagan Erbaur?" She politely requests. "I seek to discuss business matters with him." She gives a polite smile trying to hide her worry. "Of course if he is not available I would be willing to return at a time more to his liking." She looks around the shop. "I must say you have a Brightstar (superb, Power of Faerun) shop here, by the way." She attempts to use the term brightstar to show that she too is a merchant, and hint without stating that she wishes to do not just purchasing items but possibly more.
    "Brightstar? Is that some kind of elven slang? I'm afraid I don't speak foppish.

Mr. Erbauer is currently unavailable; however, if you would like to return first thing in the morning, he will be here setting his apprentices to work on their daily tasks before he leaves to take care of other business.
    "
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: AVB - The Financial One

She smiles at the Nymph and apologizes for taking her time.

"By the way," she states before she leaves. "'Brightstar' is merchant slang, it means something along the lines of.." She switches her language to slyvan to attempt to break the barrier. "Great, exciting, pleasing, marvelous, or superb." She states in the fey tongue.

"I will return tomorrow then." She gives a bow to the nymph. "I apologize for the confusion with my speech." She then leaves the shop to return to the temple for the night. She kneels at the altar and prays.

"The merchant's friend - Waukeen. I am not sure if you can hear me, but I ask for your aid in my coming discussion tomorrow. I seek to aid the needy and improve this centre of trade the best I can. I am not sure if this is truly the right path however. Some say a merchant should only be focuses on their own gains, but to me that never seemed right. Shouldn't those with money and power aid those who need it? Is that not the just and good thing to do? Please guide my financial path." She closes her prayer.

She goes to her small bedroom after wards and rechecks all of her bank slips, merchant's notes, and bookkeeping. She smiles at the possibility of finally reaching her goal. Independence, the ability to stand on her own and establish herself as the next Merchant Princess.

She gets into a comfortable position and goes into trance, ready to go back to the shop the next day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't get your character sheet to load at all now. It looks like the site is down... Maybe you should try uploading it to www.myth-weavers.com instead.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't get your character sheet to load at all now. It looks like the site is down... Maybe you should try uploading it to www.myth-weavers.com instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sheet has been moved to myth-weavers. Please tell me if anything needs changing. I don't think I made any mistakes. Edit: I will PM the sheet. Sorry.

Serawi wakes up the next day and quickly gets herself clean and in order. "I should have made something to bribe him with like a small cake or something." She mutters. She picks up all her books and puts them in order, and heads back to the shop early. Only needing 4 hours of sleep the day is young, but even Serawi is not brave enough to travel the streets at night. She walks up outside the shop and examines it trying to see if it's open yet. She opens her book and quickly reads over her notes one more time trying to do some last minute rehearsal.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-22 at 11:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    She then leaves the shop to return to the temple for the night.
    The temple to Waukeen is little more than a glorified shrine. While the most prominent merchant deity in the city, he is not widely revered.

The entire temple consists of a single 30'x30' room within an ornate wooden shell. A stone altar sits in the middle of the back wall. The temple is maintained by a single human priestess named Wanalla.

While you do not have a bedroom, Wanalla has provided a small chest in one corner, containing your personal items and a bedroll, and permitted you to stay in the temple for the next nine days. You, however, are not permitted to unpack your belonging until the temple closes to the public at dusk.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

The temple to Waukeen is little more than a glorified shrine. While the most prominent merchant deity in the city, he is not widely revered.

The entire temple consists of a single 30'x30' room within an ornate wooden shell. A stone altar sits in the middle of the back wall. The temple is maintained by a single human priestess named Wanalla.

While you do not have a bedroom, Wanalla has provided a small chest in one corner, containing your personal items and a bedroll, and permitted you to stay in the temple for the next nine days. You, however, are not permitted to unpack your belonging until the temple closes to the public at dusk.
    "Nine days, huh." Serawi leans against the wall of the shop. "Never thought I'd be kicked out of the temple." She notices activity in the shop, and knocks on the door trying not to intrude on their activity. She offers another silent prayer to Waukeen. Waiting for the door to open or something. The streets are starting to fill up again. She flips open her book and examines her other options if this falls through. The magical guild is unlikely to help her as she can't cast magic. Crafting guild might help her later, but she is looking to open a shop, and the merchant guild...she had heard horrible rumors about the merchant's guilds. That they take 15% of your income if you join in addition to normal dues. (Dungeon Master's Guide 2, page 226). Ezekiel Jedder was also another option, as were two banks, but she was hoping working with other shopkeepers might work out better than the banks, since they were obviously in similar places once.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The door remains closed, but an elegant calligraphy sign hanging in the window indicates that it is indeed already open.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

"oh...." Serawi laughed at her failing to notice. She pushes the door open and looks around the shop. She notices the nymph from yesterday and smiles at her. She looks around the shop trying to listen in on what they're saying so she knows who to talk to after their done their set-up. She tries to keep herself looking firm, but inside she is sweating and worried as Dispater. She gulps and thinks again. 'Nine days to find a house that is suitable and set-up shop, a tall order.'

Listen check: (1d20+13)[26]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

She sees two young craftsmen, likely the apprentices mentioned, hunched over swords that are beginning to take shape, tendrils of stray magic flailing about them as the apprentices work.

Hovering over their work is what you first think is a human in his late 30s or early 40s. You become unsure as you notice that his arms and legs appear not to be armored, as your first assumed, but to actually be constructed from mithral and other exotic materials. His left hand appears to slightly larger than his right and to have a number of small tools attached to it, the exact purpose of which eludes you. It is then that you realize that he has an additional pair of arms attached just above his hips, one of which is currently scratching his chin. And his face! Generally kindly with a slight twinkle of mischief in his eye, marred only by the fact that the left eye and cheek have been replaced by some sort of artifice with a golden monocle screwed into place over it, an elaborate chain and earpiece leading from the monocle back to a device wrapped around his still humanoid ear.

A fully mechanical "dog," for lack of a better word for it, follows him faithfully. Its eyes are faintly glowing red crystals, its teeth like sharpened dagger, its feet tipped with metal talons. Two metal wings lie folded against its back. Despite how vicious is seems to be, its high level of craftsmanship and puppy-like behavior make it appear almost cute.

As you stare at the amalgam of flesh and metal in obvious shock, the nymph you met last evening leans towards you and whispers.

"Magnificent, isn't he?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

"Magnificent, isn't he?"
    "Of course." Serawi replies without delay trying to gather her composure. "He certain gives the air of a master craftsman and artificer." She turns to him and waits for him to address her. Patiently waiting her turn even though time is running short. She is giving off sleight 'tells' that clearly show she is intimidated despite her merchant training, and why wouldn't she be. She's 114! Barely an adult! Yet by looking at him and what she can tell, she's probably older than he is, in terms of years at least.

Whenever he turns to her or gives her any notice she smiles at him and holds a formal waiting pose, trying to keep herself looking presentable, which isn't helped by the steam and heat. She looks over at the nymph and notices she barely seems affected by it. 'I'll have to ask her for some tips on how to keep looking that good in these kinds of conditions.' Serawi thinks in her head, while waiting her turn.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hagan notices you standing there and approaches the counter. However, instead of walking like a normal person, he hovers an inch off the ground on a 3' diameter disk made of some form of blue-green crystal.

When he speaks, his voice is warm and gentle with a touch of nervous excitement, completely unlike what his appearance would make you assume.

"Well, hello! You must be the kindly elf woman my associate Clearwater mentioned might be coming by this morning. For what was it that you needed to speak with me personally? Oh, I do hope it is quite interesting!"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Serawi bows deeply to the man, much deeper than she gave to the nymph, clearly showing much respect to him.

"I am Servalwi Endoss." She began with a firm but kind tone, trying to keep it business. "I am an aspiring merchant who is hoping to go independent. In my research around the town your name come up as a man who is interested in up and coming merchants and entrepreneurs. I seek to discuss possible loans and invest terms with you." She eyes him cautiously, wondering what he will say, a lot of merchants don't like competition, but he seems easy going enough, but she's a novice...a starting out person. She tries to analyse his body and face as best she can, but it isn't easy given all his machine parts.

Sense motive check to attempt to read him.

(1d20+15)[32]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

He doesn't seem to be hiding anything or to be hostile towards you.

"I see. What is it that you wanted? Advice? Suggestions? Someone to vouch for you? What kind of business were you wanting to start?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

He doesn't seem to be hiding anything or to be hostile towards you.

"I see. What is it that you wanted? Advice? Suggestions? Someone to vouch for you? What kind of business were you wanting to start?"
    Serawi thinks over his questions quickly. "I am planning to open a general store, a 'Buy anything, sell anything' type of store. Most stores specialize in one type of produce. I believe that by opening a store where people can find everything in one place will help save people time and money." She glances over at him. "Unfortionately the start up money required for such a thing is large. Having to buy property and licenses and such." She pulls out one of her books and flips it open. "Capital start up has been estimated at 16000 gp, and the small house required for the start up around 2000 gp. (1000 GP in the DMG2, but you said property prices are higher)." She goes over her books. "I have around 12000 in a bank, but was hoping for loan or investment money." She looks at him. "I will gladly pay interest and place the shop as collateral, on the loan. I wish to discuss terms at length with you. When you are comfortable of course."

She looks over at the nymph trying to gage her reaction to all this, and then turns back to the Artificer, wondering if he's going to yell or tell her to get the hell out.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-22 at 02:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The nymph is unaffected by your speech. She seems completely uninterested in business deals.

"an anything/anything store, eh? So, you're going to try to be my competition?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

The nymph is unaffected by your speech. She seems completely uninterested in business deals.

"an anything/anything store, eh? So, you're going to try to be my competition?"
    Serawi look at him. "Do you buy items here? If someone was to walk through that door with a bunch of flour from their mill would you buy it off them?" She looks around the store. "Your store seems to be a craftsman shop and you appear to be an artificer. My store is not going to cater to adventurers unless an adventurer walks in the door and starts selling me items. I want to cater to the middle and lower class, help them push their small amount of coin further and improve the quality of life for all. I do not plan to compete with you, this isn't about cornering the market, this is just me trying to live up to what my parents expect of me and find my independence."

She puts the book away. As far as she can tell he isn't interested. Oh well, she'll just check somewhere else or make the money elsewhere. Maybe she could open a farm instead, those are cheap enough.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 01:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, you mean you want to open a barter shop, flea market, or pawn shop? That sounds quite acceptable.

I do, in fact, buy items here, but only magical ones.
    "

You realize that the nymph began to get a little upset as Hagan did but is suddenly at ease again. You decide that she might be as dangerous as he is.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

"Ah, you mean you want to open a barter shop, flea market, or pawn shop? That sounds quite acceptable.

I do, in fact, buy items here, but only magical ones.
    "

You realize that the nymph began to get a little upset as Hagan did but is suddenly at ease again. You decide that she might be as dangerous as he is.
    Serawi's ears perk up a bit at the "acceptable" term. She smiles and tries to keep her merchant's face on.

"Something like this cannot be negotiated over 5 minutes of time, unless you're a lot more easygoing than the other merchant's I've dealt with. It is also clear you have other things to do today. Would you like to arrange a time in the near future to meet up and discuss the terms of our loan?" She asks this politely. "Either way your shop is very lovely. I am sure if I am in the market for magical items or artifacts in the future I will come here." (I am assuming to most people "artifacts", and magical items are basically the same thing)
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 02:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Nonsense. How much did you need? Ten thou? Twenty? I'm afraid I can't do more than thirty today, as that's all I have on me at the moment."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

"Nonsense. How much did you need? Ten thou? Twenty? I'm afraid I can't do more than thirty today, as that's all I have on me at the moment."
    Serawi eyes go wide, completely losing her game face. "Um.." She pulls out her book again."I have 12000 on standby, I need approximately 16000 for capital costs, and 2000 for the small house if my calculations and research is correct. So...7500? That way I'll have a small amount leftover in case of accident, so a random cart going through my window doesn't put me out."

She looks at him and gathers herself again. As I said before, I am prepared to put the shop up as collateral and pay interest as well."

'30000!' she thinks in her head.

'Who just carries around that kind of cash? How rich is this guy?!'
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 03:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"I guarantee you that the two you have set aside for the shop isn't going to cover it. This building costs more than ten times that, granted it is on the Plaza. Still, how about this option?

I'll buy the building and help front some of your start up costs. In return, you'll pay me a fixed monthly rent plus a small fee in repayment of the loan. Also, I get to place some small value goods in your shop that you will sell for me. You'll retain 2% of the total sale price of any such item you sell.
    "
    Last edited by Rizban; 2012-10-23 at 03:32 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Serawi goes over the deal in her head. If he owns the building, that also means anything major like a blizzard or an accident falls on him. Paying him a fixed rent also seems like a kick at first, but as the shop grows it'll become nothing in the end.

She does some more calculations. He doesn't appear to be an elf or another long lived race, which means she'll likely outlive him, then again he looks more machine than man so it's possible he's artificially extending his life. Then again, it's a house on the PLAZA. Chances like this don't come up often, given her basic start up it was likely she'd be living in the slums for the next year or so.

"So...what kind of rent amount are we talking in terms of 'fixed' rent." She asks trying to keep the conversation moving. Clearly showing interest in the deal though.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 03:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the shop I've been looking at lately is located here in Midtown, about two blocks off the Plaza. It's a real cute little place and recently vacant. It's not a cheap little building, but it's really nice... I'm looking at 100 per month if I rent it to you.

If I then front you 7,500 for start up costs, with a 2% interest rate on a 10 year loan is going to run 65 per month minimum.

You're looking at 165 per month for rent and loan payments.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Serawi paused to give the illusion of her thinking over the deal, when in reality she was ready to take it at a second's notice. 165 a month? She was making 25 a day at her old job, and that's at a job where she didn't own the place! She then for the sake of her sanity went over the loan. 7500 gp at 2% a year? Even if she still only made 25 gp a day and the business brought in no profit at all, that's still going to be paid off in around a year, this man either underestimated her as a merchant or was simply the kindest loaner she had ever met. Calling him a loan shark would be an insult, it would be more like a loan goldfish, given how lax the terms were.

"I'll take those terms." She says. "I look forward to seeing what kind of items you put up for sale in my store. Also the place sounds very lovely." She smiles at him and extends her hand to show that she approves the deal. "If you don't mind I will draw up a contract with our terms and drop it off early tomorrow. It's just good practice to keep a paper trail."

'This is it, this is my big chance! I'll make money with this shop, expand into other forms of business with the profit I make off it, and help everyone's quality of life. I really should give this guy a gift or something after I'm all setup, maybe if the house has a nice kitchen I'll bake him a pie or something.'
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 04:20 PM. Reason: when =! went

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, I have the contract ready here."

He produces a blank sheet of paper, places it on the counter, and presses his thumb to the bottom middle of the sheet. Concentrating a moment, the agreed upon verbal contract writes itself onto the page.

He leans in and whispers to you, "It's my own design."

Taking out a pen and ink from beneath the desk, he hands it to you.

"We use these for all orders, contracts, and deals in my shop. It saves poor Clearwater here from having such severe hand cramps at the end of the day from all the paperwork. Feel free to review it and see if it is to your agreement."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Serawi smiled at his flawless logistics.

"I must say that's quite impressive. I must only assume you can't order them here." She laughs lightly "Oh well, hard work builds character right? She looks over the agreement. You own the actual building which I rent for 100 gold pieces a month until future events change ownership or rent. Start up capital is stimulated with 7500 gold pieces at a 2% annual interest rate for 10 years, minimum payment is 65 gold pieces, no maximum payment is listed. The store is at this address." She looks over the paper like an OCD victim, reading it over and over occasionally asking him basic questions to make sure they're 100% on the same page. She eventually signs the paper and hands it to him. "May I have a copy for my own purposes?" She asks.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-23 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Didn't blue the last line

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Reading through the contract, you find significant political jargon making the entire contract as airtight as you can imagine. It quickly becomes obvious that Mr. Erbauer has ranks in Profession (Barrister). The only oddity that you notice is a reference to any party in violation of the contract being sentenced to the "Needle Mines," whatever those are.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Okay in that case, I'm not going to sign before asking about it.

"What does this clause about the needle mines mean?" She asks with a slight bit of fear in her voice. She hated physical labour and didn't need to be put into a slave camp, heck did this country even practice slavery?

Barrister check : (1d20+9)[22]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but how are you getting +9 in Profession(Barrister)? Profession is Trained Only. I don't remember you having ranks in anything law related.
    "Oh, just ignore that clause. It isn't important. The Needle Mines were the traditional punishment for nearly all crimes in Aldhaven. It's where the finest needles in the world were mined, refined, and exported. Most contract breakers were sentenced to 5 days. Most didn't survive.

Someone, however, collapsed most of the tunnels and flooded the rest. Repair work has been difficult to the point of impossibility for some time now, as if someone or something were actively working to keep the mines closed. However, the law requiring that clause be present in all contracts is still in effect. So, it's there, even if it has no effect whatsoever.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but how are you getting +9 in Profession(Barrister)? Profession is Trained Only. I don't remember you having ranks in anything law related.
    "Oh, just ignore that clause. It isn't important. The Needle Mines were the traditional punishment for nearly all crimes in Aldhaven. It's where the finest needles in the world were mined, refined, and exported. Most contract breakers were sentenced to 5 days. Most didn't survive.

Someone, however, collapsed most of the tunnels and flooded the rest. Repair work has been difficult to the point of impossibility for some time now, as if someone or something were actively working to keep the mines closed. However, the law requiring that clause be present in all contracts is still in effect. So, it's there, even if it has no effect whatsoever.
    "
    Spoiler
    Show
    I possess the "jack of all trades" knack, from the master class, that lets me trade ranks in a profession skill I have, for ranks in a profession skill I have no ranks in at a 2 to 1 ratio. I have 8 ranks in shopkeeper, so I have 4 ranks in every other profession skill. Then I have a +2 competence bonus from my primary focus, and +3 from my wisdom score.

Serawi puts the pen to the paper. "I am assume if the law is changed the contract will also change to reflect this?" She asked. "Because such a cruel punishment I do not approve of. I may not be able to change the law now, but I'm an elf. I have a good 400 or so years left of life, assuming some random accident doesn't kill me, and so much can happen over that time. She reads over the contract one last time. "I don't see anything objectable in the contract besides that one clause, but I can understand if the law says you have to include it that your hands are tied." She puts her pen to the paper and signs it. "May I have a copy for my own purposes? I will pay you 165 gold pieces monthly, in addition to allowing you to consign items in my shop for 2% commission." She reachs into her pocket and pulls out 330 gold pieces."Consider this first and last month's rent up front."
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-24 at 11:46 AM.