New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealDreams View Post
    Take his comments with giant grains of salt.
    He has a point, though: don't worry about it so much, just play the game. Listening to fans discuss (and argue about) the game can be confusing, because it's a complex setting and we like talking about fiddly details. Playing Exalted is a good way to familiarize yourself with it. Sure, you might mess up a few things because you don't have the setting and rules down cold (I certainly did when I started), but so what? It's only a game, and next time you'll know more.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    Oh well. I should probably understand the game in its entirety before I join a game anyway.
    ...please repeat after me?

"The Exalted manuals do not make sense.

"The Exalted manuals conflict with each other.

"The Exalted manuals do not make sense."

...please repeat until internalized...

...and one more word of advice: "Ignore every-one who places a high emphasis on the Exalted canon."

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    He has a point, though: don't worry about it so much, just play the game. Listening to fans discuss (and argue about) the game can be confusing, because it's a complex setting and we like talking about fiddly details. Playing Exalted is a good way to familiarize yourself with it. Sure, you might mess up a few things because you don't have the setting and rules down cold (I certainly did when I started), but so what? It's only a game, and next time you'll know more.
    And we complain about it cause we love it. We complain and complain and complain and you're probably like 'Why do you play such a terrible game?'
    If it were THAT terrible... well, we'd probably be complaining more, because we wouldn't take breaks to play a wonderful, evocative, kookily mechanics-ed game.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    And we complain about it cause we love it. We complain and complain and complain and you're probably like 'Why do you play such a terrible game?'
    If it were THAT terrible... well, we'd probably be complaining more, because we wouldn't take breaks to play a wonderful, evocative, kookily mechanics-ed game.
    Well, I for one am holding off on Exalted playing until 3rd Edition.

Not that I've actually played Exalted before, mind you...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #905

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Well, I for one am holding off on Exalted playing until 3rd Edition.

Not that I've actually played Exalted before, mind you...
    Then your example is not useful.
    I have played exalted extensively over the last two years. I can tell you that people who are too reactive to new systems (I experienced this with a werewolf apocalypse fanboy) won't "get" it at all. Anyone else will, but be ready to cover their doubts on the spot or things get too slow.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I've been an (semi-)active participant in the Exalted community for years. I know the ins and outs of the system as good as anybody, and better than some.

I've just never had the luck of a storyteller picking me for a game, as I only have tried to play online.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #907

I've just never had the luck of a storyteller picking me for a game, as I only have tried to play online.
    ...what kind of Player are you?

As for the subject of complaining, that's not really my thing. I prefer to be productive. If that requires fixing a problem, calibrating some-thing, or typing out new home-brew then I generally have no problem doing it.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...what kind of Player are you?
    I'm the kind of player who never finishes a character because it is never good enough for me to show other people.

Yes, I'm self-sabotaging. No, there's no reason to believe not getting into games is anyone's fault but my own. No, I don't think changing to a third edition will make it any more likely that I'll actually finish the characters.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

As for the subject of complaining, that's not really my thing. I prefer to be productive. If that requires fixing a problem, calibrating some-thing, or typing out new home-brew then I generally have no problem doing it.

Productive instead of complaining. Sure. I might believe that if I'd seen less of your posts. And you didn't have a thing against Ink Monkeys.
    I'm the kind of player who never finishes a character because it is never good enough for me to show other people.

Yes, I'm self-sabotaging. No, there's no reason to believe not getting into games is anyone's fault but my own. No, I don't think changing to a third edition will make it any more likely that I'll actually finish the characters.
    I'm the kind who never finishes a character because I can't make a functional backstory come out of the half-baked ideas in my head without having weeks of time and somehow not losing interest. Some people can make a full backstory in a matter of hours after posting interest/the ST posts the groundwork.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-25 at 02:38 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #910

Set lower standards, you two. Work on the stuff after it's been released.

11. - Top - End - #911

I'm sorry to hear that. I can really sympathize with that feeling. When I make a character I want to be confident with it. The kind of confidence that I feel will be enough to inspire others by the content of that character.

But actually, I was more asking about what kinds of themes and events that you might like to see in a game. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear.

But...I should also thank you for describing what kind of Player you think that you are. The people at the table, and how they tend to act, is really important for selecting game members.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I'm the kind who never finishes a character because I can't make a functional backstory come out of the half-baked ideas in my head without having weeks of time and somehow not losing interest. Some people can make a full backstory in a matter of hours after posting interest/the ST posts the groundwork.
    That sounds like what happens to me too. I'm glad i'm not the only one.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JollyChris View Post
    That sounds like what happens to me too. I'm glad i'm not the only one.
    I decided to edit the specific thing about the game out. But yeah, it was pretty bad. Maybe it was after a bunch of games where he signed up as a player but didn't get in. Maybe he had tried to get RL groups going. Maybe it was late at night (maybe he was sleeptyping ). I don't know, but it was probably during a stressful situation.

But it doesn't change the fact that he didn't just take a day, then come back ready to ST for the others.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-25 at 02:42 PM.
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    Ahahaha!
    Wait, you serious?

Or, more seriously : the only concepts you have to master before you enter a game of Exalted as a player, if you ask me, are Rules Basics and Why Its No Use Learning More Than Rules Basics.

First part you probably already know. Second part is as follows : most of the subsidiary systems and complicated secondary rules are ignored and it's better that way. I mean look at this page and Repair Rating. At least two people here (make that Three with me) don't give a hoot about repair rating most of the time.

Please do not postpone your first game until you've been able to understand the whole ruleset, because bro, you ain't gonna play anytime soon!

Also, your avatar is extremely cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    No, thats the path of madness. Thats what I tried to do.

What it got me, was a lot of flack from other Exalted fans, confusion about what is or isn't canon, and me blocking myself off from any discussion involving Solars or Abyssals, while making me convinced that most of the Exalted fanbase is crazy.

just play the game! trying to understand it fully only leads Exalted fan-raging over how borked the rules are, or ultra-passionate discussions about the themes and/or canon of Exalted that no one but a just-as-passionate fan of Exalted can really understand, discussions that an easily turn into runaway arguments if you so much as mention something deemed discontinuity or out of theme for an Exalt type or Exalted in general. and while there are some commonalities, everyone has their own pet interpretation of the setting and the list of that which is Canon and Not Canon that you cannot predict.

Trust me, just play the game. if you don't, your missing everything.

...please repeat after me?

"The Exalted manuals do not make sense.

"The Exalted manuals conflict with each other.

"The Exalted manuals do not make sense."

...please repeat until internalized...

...and one more word of advice: "Ignore every-one who places a high emphasis on the Exalted canon."
    ...Huh. I guess I'll try to join the next Exalted game someone posts.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Good lad!

Now, game related question from me. If anyone's familiar with earthscorpion's Crippled Imperator Shintai, do you read it such that Witness to Darkness lets you perceive the world around you but not view living things as animate objects? That's how I read it...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

16. - Top - End - #916

That stuff yes. The other stuff..well I saw the thread he's sort of referring to and well lets just say he deserved the rebuttals.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Good lad!

Now, game related question from me. If anyone's familiar with earthscorpion's Crippled Imperator Shintai, do you read it such that Witness to Darkness lets you perceive the world around you but not view living things as animate objects? That's how I read it...
    ...And this is why charms from different Yozi shouldn't interact with eachother without re-flavouring. You are probably right about the interaction, but don't tell the Yozi about it.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Good lad!

Witness to Darkness allows you to ignore Crippling effects that would blind you. Crippled Imperator Shintai is not a crippling effect, thus WtD has no effect.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #919
    Firbolg in the Playground

On a related note, I've been interested by the idea of a Dragon-Blooded game lately. Anyone got any particular feedback on how they play in an actual game? Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate a more team-reliant and lower powered game than offered by the other factions.

And, of course, no perfect attacks or defenses that I can see, which seems like it'd be rather important...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

20. - Top - End - #920

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    On a related note, I've been interested by the idea of a Dragon-Blooded game lately. Anyone got any particular feedback on how they play in an actual game? Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate a more team-reliant and lower powered game than offered by the other factions.

And, of course, no perfect attacks or defenses that I can see, which seems like it'd be rather important...
    "Lower powered" still means "you punch punching gods and kill people merely by being there" though, so do'nt go in thinking they are "weak".

That said, location matters a lot. Dynasts have a lot of ground for politic games, and most of them will, in some way, have a retinue of servants, aides and the like. I can imagine an expedition into the unknown spearheaded by three DBs investigating the abandoned pyramid far to the west...

21. - Top - End - #921
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm aware they're hardly weak - Exalted are still Exalted, after all.

That said, I did notice the political applications of a great many of their abilities. Just about every Elemental aspect seems to include the capability for both some form of combat and social ability, as far as I can see, which is an interesting touch.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gentlefellows, Having purchased PDF's of:

The core book,
    The six Exalt type books and the Fair Folk book,
    Both Roll of Divinity books,
    Glories of the Most High,
    Broken Winged Crane and Thousand Correct Actions,
    Shards of the Exalted Dream,
    The Celestial Compass books for Malfeas and Autocthonia,
    Scroll of Fallen Races,
    Return of the Scarlet Empress,
    And the free Errata Book.

...Is there anything in particular I'm missing? Maybe the other compass books, but those don't seem quite as immediately interesting. I'd consider the Books of Sorcery, but I'm more biased towards setting than stats right now.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

The Yu Shan book is a pretty entertaining read, and essential for any game with Sidereals. Scroll of Kings has more mundane weapons, and Masters of Jade has info on the Guild, comes in handy if they feature in the story.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Wonders of the Lost Age is full of great, if not balanced, stuff. Warstriders are the big one here. Power Armor is second. Concussive Essence Cannons (more commonly just called Essence Cannons) are also popular, so much so that the Estasians have whole platoons armed with them. Oadenol's Codex is what you need if you want to have even an inkling about how to forge artifacts. It also has rules for manses and a variety of Hearthstones.

You don't necessarily need WotLA for warstriders, though. Kyeudo's fix linked in the first post is great, and you can just use that. The Books of Sorcery, though, are really need. You want to stat out a Fang of Lookshy Dragon-Blooded? Chances are they have Power Armor and maybe a Common Warstrider. You want to play a Solar craftsman? You're gonna need rules on the thaumaturgical procedures for working the Magical Materials. An NPC of yours is an eccentric savant, who runs an apothecary full of bubbling potions? You're going to need the rules for the Art of Alchemy. Sorcerer? Well, I guess you can use the meager selection of spells in the core book...

You don't have to purchase those books yourself, but among the total group, there should be at least one copy of each Book of Sorcery.

Masters of Jade is also a nice fluffy book about the Guild, with some decent, if half-baked feeling, rules for running organizations.

Also, if you didn't know, 3e hits in December, so really the only necessary books are the two Compass books you got, Infernals and Alchemicals, and core so you can understand the other stuff. Errata and Shards are also good to have for the alt settings and decent 2e playability until 3e gets here.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-26 at 06:13 PM.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #925
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    The Yu Shan book is a pretty entertaining read, and essential for any game with Sidereals.
    Good point, same argument for Infernals and Alchemicals is why I went for the Malfeas and Autocthonia books.

Not in a huge rush to get Underworld though: It sounds like a fairly drab and uniform place.

Scroll of Kings has more mundane weapons, and Masters of Jade has info on the Guild, comes in handy if they feature in the story.
    The former is good to know if I get into a group playing the game. Not really an immediate concern though.

The Guild seems relatively self-explanatory though: Worldwide trade organization, both good for helping hold society together and bad for unscrupulous commodities such as slaves. Owns a city used as headquarters.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, if you didn't know, 3e hits in December, so really the only necessary books are the two Compass books you got, Infernals and Alchemicals, and core so you can understand the other stuff. Errata and Shards are also good to have for the alt settings and decent 2e playability until 3e gets here.
    Eh, I'm not really going to concern myself with 3E until there's a whole bunch of books out for it rather than just the Solar rules.

Plus, some of the designer comments on what they plan to do with Infernals seem rather odd.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    Good point, same argument for Infernals and Alchemicals is why I went for the Malfeas and Autocthonia books.

Not in a huge rush to get Underworld though: It sounds like a fairly drab and uniform place.
    The underworld book is actually pretty interesting.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Dwarf in the Playground

The underworld book is actually pretty interesting.
    Ah? The Abyssals book did a good job of making it sound relatively dull.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Having both, I prefer Revlid's underworld rewrite. Bonus is it's free!

As someone on the IRC chat said, I fully expect it to come out in December. I just doubt it will be this December.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-09-26 at 07:57 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, to me the only interesting things in the Underworld book were the Deathlords and the part of the timeline when the Solar ghosts arrived.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."