New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Sean Loveless spoke up, his words directed at Al. "Oh, see little flower? Even the Caitiff knows how much prestige you'll lose in this trial. Oh, don't clench your jaw, Al. We'll understand if you change your mind."

Al did not dignify it with a response.

Rogan waved away the banter and began. "Jean, I'm disappointed that you're actually taking this trial seriously. What more reason do we need than the Third Tradition? If that isn't enough to satisfy you, consider how her sire turned out? Consider how every Caitiff turns out? Rumors of Desmund's eccentricies have already surfaced."

He pointed an accusing fingers at the bodies in the back. "You did not hesitate to end the lives of those kine who were closer to her sire to protect the masquerade, what makes her different?"

He turned, finally looking at Danielle. She said his yellow, cat-like eyes. "Even if she would follow the Traditions, even if she would try to serve us, she is weak. She is of 14th generation, she is Caitiff, and the hunter has caught onto her scent, putting any of us and our possessions near her in danger. Jean, she is not strong enough to be one of us by her blood. Even a lamb with a strong will, is still just a lamb."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Where some might have expected and espoused more in the way of countenance, Faruq now couldn't help but let go of a share of his self-control for a short while and count himself among the laughing half of the gathering. Something about that flippant, dearly unimpressed and clearly quite devastating comment the Prince had made, along with his notable smile and obvious insight into the affairs of Kirsch and Forrest had put his sputtering, rambling mind at ease for a mere second, taken the tension away just once, even put that proverbially short fuse of his out for a spell, and it had been enough to push what had been but a forced, if well-portrayed facsimile over into a far more genuine positivity. It was a sort of stress-relief, is what I'm saying here.

We's definitely cool, Old Goblin. Small, crotchety and strangely-smelling as you are. he thought, in between memorising those exact looks on his sire's and the German's faces, flashing a broad, gloating smirk their ways and biting back wave after wave of throaty, raucous, evil laughter he so dearly wanted to let out, where so far, he only allowed himself a low, weasely snicker - because while the agressions, frustrations and rages within his heart had certainly been redirected, they had not been snuffed out: See? See me laughing in your faces here? You failures told me I should try to not make an ass of myself, and now -you- are the butts of the joke, -you- are the ones that have made the mistakes, and I -have- made asses. Of -you-! You like that, huh? Me winning once again? Me being cool with the Old Goblin while you're laughing-stock for everybody else? Say, Melly, hope that you get a good reading in, here, because this? This right here? This is -me- making this pleasant. For everyone except -you-! And you better believe there's more where this comes from! This in my eyes? This is me lording it over you, and this is the social part of your destiny travelling -really- fast! Bitches, let it be known that Faruq al-Assad just won again!

He almost felt like dancing, reining himself in only when he remembered that he was still at a life-or-death-trial here - No, flipping the two senior Ventrue off, casually and sneaky-like while nobody else was looking, would have to suffice for the here and now. Or maybe for the later, somewhere else. Or for the ne'er, the nowhere, and the not at all. ...the -HELL-? Why am I not enjoying this as much as I should? Why are my middle fingers not firmly facing them right now? Why do I almost feel... There was a strange memory now, of him, throughout the pains of torture, withdrawal, starvation, mockery, and his entire life coming crashing down, still feeling a certain attachment, yes, fondness even, for Melanie, but not in a wholly natural way, rather as if something deep inside him kept trying to convince everything else inside him that she actually wasn't all that horrible. But there were also memories of commands, of helplessness, of being threatened, ultimately murdered, and told that it was his own fault, as he lay beaten, disarmed, half-delirious and dying in his sorry state. Wait. Sorry! That's it! It's pity, is all I'm feelin'. That's all. I pity them. Because I'm a decent person, while she's just a proper bitch, and he's just a poofty Kraut. Exactly that's the way this went, and there's no other. Do not think about it, Faruq. Enjoy this. You have them beat.

And thus he would, he figured, as he turned his full attention towards this nastily grinning 'Rogan' type, drowning out all thoughts of pity, of fondness, of memories, engaging in the here and now to see what other good he could accomplish there - He was, after all, victorious Faruq al-Assad, who had won at the Ventrue's game without even playing! The conquering Lion and feintful Ferret, the glorious Afghan and jubilant Scot! God's own gift to every woman in the room and center of the universe! Who'd dare to stand against him now? Who could deny his triumph? What jackass could not see His justice served? Who would now still stand besides them, when they have been ridiculed by their very Prince? Who, who, could now still deny that I have been so much smarter, much blessed-er, harder, and tougher, and sexier too, than -them-? WHO COULD NOW -POSSIBLY- STILL DARE TO PISS ON THE NAME OF FARUQ IBN KHALED IBN MOHAMMED AL-ASSAD? WHO WOULD NOW STAND AGAINST -ME-??? BWAHAHA. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha. Haha. Ha. Hrmph. Well. Nevermind. Let's never mention that again, and concentrate on this here little trial. Everyone is watching her now, so should I, noone is watching me, because my part is played, and I have won, now time to share the winnings. Yes. Yes, that will be what I shall do. Just to wait for the right opportunity now... Still, the odd giggle or snort escaped him, while he strove to keep his face on straight, and pointedly ignore the Ventrue - Except Erica, who, much like Claire and Danielle and basically everyone, did, after all, also fall into the category of "women in the room which God had blessed with him", and hence deserved a passing glance and fair share of his greatn... Focus! Focus, dammit! This is life or death, Faruq, you're not yet outta hero-tier. But elation, wondrous exaltation, holy-most enrapturement - He'd won! No matter. Watch this, it's about to get interesting, after all. You can always brag and get fresh with folks later on.

Won.

Won.

Won!
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-26 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Old Goblin Spice!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

A child, being the warmaster? Rick could scarcely believe it. But there was something a little off about the kid. For all Rick knew, the boy might be older than him.

I can't judge by appearances, especially in this society. But great, apparently even children outrank me in my clan.

He settles in, watching the trial with interest. Apparently Claire's sire was leading the crusade to see Danielle die. Though he hopes she survives, Rick, realizing he can't do anything to impact the discussion either way, focuses instead on examining the reaction in the room when Rogan and Al Rowe speak. If nothing else, it might help him sniff out whom was favorable to whom, which could be a useful nugget of information sometime down the line.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-07-26 at 12:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie's face was a blank, but Trent and Quenton each gave Faruq a stern look of warning.

Quenton leaned over to whisper to Rick. "That one is on a quick path to final death. I'd steer clear of him." Trent heard, grunting in approval.

Rogan continued. "Jean, I know you. You're curious, too damn curious. She's not worth the enmity it will gain you. Tradition, logic, and even recent events all point to her that she must die."

He moved to sit down. All eyes turned to Al.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Here there be rolls, this post to be updated accordingly:

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception plus Alertness: (5d10)[3][8][1][7][4](23)

Does two successes plus one botch equal one success? Or not? This is kinda important here.

Also, speaking of rolls to notice things: Could be I'm just missing something here, but is Rogan adressing Mr. Loveless, or the Prince - Because "Sean" and "Jean" are kind of an easy one to confuse by typo, and all?
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-26 at 01:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Rogan is speaking to Jean. As Prince, he alone he will decide Danielle's fate.

Sean is simply poking fun at Al for defending Danielle.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

The fat man confirmed what Trent had indicated earlier and what she suspected due to the tone that was set, Al was putting herself at some sort of difficult for her at any rate ... or if not precisely for her then for a plan involving her which she had the decency to indicate in the van earlier.

When Rogan indicated the bodies Danielle turned to look at them, 'were closer to her sire', were they Billy's family, friends, school mates, she tried to remember if she had seen them before ... what made her different was likely that she had been turned into a blood drinking monster and so fell within a greyer area involving the sixth tradition.

She turned to look at him as he turned to address her, this time holding the gaze of the yellow cat eyes, and as he moved to sit she spoke up. "I would actually agree with you in part, your third tradition seems fairly clear cut, and makes a degree of logic sense - though I would wonder about my sire's other potential childer, of which I understand there were some this week", she left unsaid that she believed they were dead - largely because if they were then it seemed unlikely that Billy would have survived to get to her and hell might as well make them confirm for themselves, she did feel bad about telling these creatures about them, but they were too dangerous to other people of they were out there both directly and indirectly.

Continuing, "I would however like to confirm your logic on the hunter, you indicate that I am a weak lamb and that a strong predator is after me, your solution is to kill the lamb and hope the predator goes away?" pausing briefly "Surely a more logical solution would be to bait the predator with it's prey to ensure the safety of the rest of the flock", shrugging, credit where it was due even when it was somewhat an obvious idea "which I understand to be part of your sheriff's intentions", continuing on reflex her composed façade cracking slightly allowing the cold anger through, "further on this strength of the blood, you indicate that I am weak and would not be able to stand up to the hunter - which is true - yet however it was achieved I did survive his first attacks on me, I would be curious as to what strength the recent additions to your society have that I lack which would have allowed them to fare better", considering what she had said, probably should have held my tongue on that last part, but he should be prepared to answer it.

The room seemed to be waiting for Al to speak, but really what could she say, her plan was logical for the protection of the society, and if Danielle could see that and the others couldn't then repeating it would not change things, similarly the third tradition seemed clear enough that this would be open and closed ... considering the situation with pure bad mindedness with a likely probation period to allow Al to enact her plan followed by - if I survive - a summary execution on which ever grounds suited the prince and primogen, that way everyone was a winner - except me.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-07-26 at 01:57 AM. Reason: double post after the view didn't update

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Al put a hand on Danielle's shoulder. "No Danielle, you were the oly childer he made. The others he simply kill outright."

It was not Rogan, but the Hayden Cross, primogen of Clan Brujah who spoke. "You did not survive by your strength girl. You died because Al decided your life was more valuable than Brett's." Her fist slammed against the table, sending a large crack into the table. "You're alive because he threw himself at that monster under his lover's orders, so don't you dare talk about strength girl."

Al kept her calm, her grip tightening on Danielle. "You know my plan, Jean. From what we saw, he's learned some new tricks. He likely isn't even human any more, to call him kine would be a diservice to Brett. Her death is miniscule compared to Jackal the Ninebladed."

Jean nodded his head in agreement to the last statement.

The boy-Primogen spoke next. His voice was a child's but it held a greater weight than any, taking away any illusion that he was young. "The problem is Ms. Rowe, is that you are assuming your plan will succeed. Mr. Davenfeldt was a Brujah of eighty years, and a talented one at that. Ten years ago we sent the police after him, and we ended up with a lot of dead policemen. Even that wretched Irishman refused to deal with the problem."

"Do you have a better plan, Primogen? You are quick to criticize, but do you have any insights to offer?"

"Well, the alternative has already been discussed. Simply kill the Caitiff here and now. She's the best connection he has to the city. He is powerful, but he lacks connections and resources. We tighten the masquerade and put a short leash on the fledglings. We misdirect him towards Seattle or Portland, and let them deal with him."
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-07-26 at 02:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle glared at the woman briefly she had not indicated that she could stand up to the hunter merely that she had not died instantly and that she doubted the fledglings as they called them could have done better with there thicker blood, what ever that really meant.

She forced herself to remain calm about it, the creature was apparently suffering from grief and there was no call to rub it in, she looked away.

She was somewhat reassured by Al's presence, the woman might be willing to kill her the instant the prince gave the word, and might have killed the others in the room as part of her duties looking for Billy but at the least she was somewhat honest about things and calm in her dealings.

She listened to the boy as he spoke, there was a certain cold logic there also that she had not considered, but it was the logic of hoping things would work out while ignoring the possibility they wouldn't, with no back up plan.

This time through it was an effort of will not to speak on her own behalf, she managed to hold herself silent.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy follows the proceedings with attention, occasionally glancing to the side at Mike and Slick to see how they're taking it. How her clan members react to the trial is an insight she feels she may need. At least she knows where the dead bodies are coming from, and while it doesn't make it alright by any stretch of the imagination, at least they haven't been killed for sport. Though, wouldn't six disappearances be tougher to explain than just the one? Maybe they’ve heard or seen things that they shouldn’t have. Amy has to control a shiver.

This is a load of bull. she studies the primogen's faces and their responses to the trial. She is particularly incensed by Rogan’s attitude Weak, right. Let’s kill you, then turn your entire worldview upside down, then put you in a strange place, alone, among people who want you dead, and see if you react half as well as she is, shall we? I volunteer. she thinks, scathingly.

“Hunters. There are hunters, too?” she whispers to Mike, surprised. “Like, the van Helsing kind of hunters? Stakes, garlic and all that jazz?” She doesn’t know if she should be worried, or laugh. Oh, let’s misdirect him towards Seattle, then it won’t be our problem anymore, really. Kindreds aren’t so different from human beings, after all “Are we allowed to say something?” Because she has something to say, make no mistake about it. If she’s holding her tongue is just because she’s afraid of putting Mike into troubles.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Good move.

"Cowardice is a double-edged sword Tremere. Complacency prevents risk, but it also takes success away as well."

The boy-elder did not seem insulted. Apparently to him being called a coward was not a big deal. "A well thought out argument. No wonder Sean fears you taking his place."

Seans smile faded, and he adjusted himself. "No doubt this is a political move of our little angel. I wonder if she's willing to take full responsibility for this. What will she do if it fails?"

"That is for the Prince to decide." Al met Sean's stare. The fledgelings watching could see something frieghtening in Sean's eyes.

"Yes, it is." Jean's words wrung clear in the room. "Al, as always you are wise, as always you are willing to put yourself on the line, which is commendable in equal measure to foolish. However, all you speak about is the hunter. Why should I be the Prince who allowed the 14th generation Clanless girl embraced without permission to live? Come now Al, don't expect me to make this decision on good faith alone, I gave up my good faith during the French Revolution."

At this Al did not have an immediate answer. Her brow furrowed, and she was lost in thought.

Sean gave a friendly wink to Danielle as if he knew something. For some reason, it did not come across as patronizing or conniving, but as a good to honest friendly wink.

-

Slick and Miek seemed to be curious about the affair more than anything. Mike showed some concern, but she wasn't sure what or who he was concerned about. Slick's face was too ugly to read, even as he has his human face on. Flat Face kept his eyes closed in thought, rocking his chair back and forth. He looked calm.

Mike answered her. "Yeah, there are hunters. Usually they kill the stupid kindred, and move on. Occasionally they get lucky and bag an elder, but not often. Most of them are crazy. Makes sense when they fight boogey man and no one believes them. That Jackal guys somethign else though. They say he's got powers like us, that he's no kindred, but he ain't human either. There's a lot of monsters out there Amy. Wizards, goblins, werewolves, things we don't even know about."

When she asked about involvement he shook his head. "Don't. This is an elders' game. The trial has nothing to do with the girl, it's all about who the Prince wants to make happy, and who he wants to piss off. Most of the Primogen up there don't care either, it's all leverage to use." He shrugged his shoulders. "Chances are anything you say would hurt her."

"Especially if what you say is true. The old ones don't like being corrected." It was Flat Face this time. "Everything's already been decided anyways."
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-07-26 at 04:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Werewolves and goblins. I’m officially going mad. “Alright, I’ll shut up. But this is a fat load of bull all the same, you know that, right?” It is unintentional, but this time her voice is a smidgeon more loud. Not so much to be heard all the way to the Primogen table, perhaps, but she’s always found difficult to control her tone when she’s angry, and someone of the kindred around will probably be able to hear her. It goes all the way down to the grade school playground, really, and apparently it hasn’t changed now that she’s dead.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

The important moment seemed to already have passed unnoticed, or so it would have seemed to Faruq, who had been hoping for some sort of keyword which would allow him to launch right into some manner of long-winded, dramatic speech, occupy some time and space and make it known to the world of kindred politics that none who shared the blood of 'mad al-Assad was to be ignored or trifled with - so as to finally argue his points, spit out his questions, celebrate his victory some more and possibly come out of this as both a hero and a richer man. Yet as it stood, he found himself watching two random shmoes whispering and losing himself in the notion. Why did they seem so interesting all of a sudden? One of them was the P.I. from earlier, Rick. The other one... Likely his sire, then. Don't think we've been introduced, anyway. At any rate, they best not be whispering about me, there.

Then, however, something different caught his ear: The French Revolution? Old Goblin's really old, then, that was like, what, a houndred years ago? Makes sense, though - You've died once already, chances are you do not age much further. Maybe decompose. The young man shuddered, or felt like shuddering, as the notion passed over him. Which would explain the smell, though, come to think of it. And happens to be a perfect argument. After all, the implications of some of these people being older than they appeared, and potentially older than all of the USA, or similar, were rather obvious, and as such, easily combined with the holes in the traditions. And then that name... Jackal the Nine-Bladed. Kinda poser, huh? This is it, sexy clanless girl, I know exactly what to do!

And loudly, he proclaimed, stylishly waiting for the first short silence, the first minor break in conversation: "You people do realise that this is a huge waste of time, basically, don't ya, now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    And on that cliffhanger, I'll have to leave for today. I've been working for longer than is healthy, and do desperately need some shut-eye. Hope to catch y'all soon enough to continue, though.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Erica doesn't even look at the outburst. As Faruq begins speaking, she closes her eyes. By the time he finishes, she has covered her forehead and eyes with one slender hand. As he finished, she peeked over her fingers to gauge Jean du Noir's and the primogen's reaction.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

15. - Top - End - #75

DrowGuy

Seeing Faruq's outburst, Rick nods at his sire's words.

"I am starting to get that impression, yes."

He eyes the prince, intent on how he'll respond.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

So he wants a reason to let me live that is not based on faith and good will, ha that was rich, she also was not sure what the fat man, Sean was it wanted he seemed to be almost pleasant for a second their ... she doubted that thought.

At the man's question about it being a waste of time, she almost yelled at him that it that was obvious from the beginning, but she stopped herself and took a second to calm herself, calling him on it would not help her and may harm him for no reason other then her spite at the situation he was not the cause of, as such she did what she normally did when someone who loved there own voice spoke words that said nothing ... she ignored the outburst.

Turning to the prince as of nothing had happened since he made his mind clear, "Sir, please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are looking for cannot be given. You are seeking a provable reason to spare me that benefits your society more then any of my potential actions could harm it, however at a relative outsiders viewpoint I can provide you with none of that", thinking for a second "if a member of a clan commits a crime the crime falls on the sire, and the sire's sire going back as far as possible, and through them it passes to all the childer to encompass the entire clan ... that is if I have understood the vow made earlier correctly, as such when a member of a clan commits a crime the entire clan is responsible, and so regardless of the crime or the perpetrator your society can have its price from the clan in exchange for peace. With me - or any clanless vampire - that would not be the case, if I commit a crime it is on me and if I cannot pay the balance then you as a society lose out" she shrugged, which meant they could not allow her to live.

Considering carefully "Given this I feel that arguing my potential benefit is somewhat fruitless, for example I could tell you that I am involved in missing person groups and could use this provide a safe means of securing closure for people that have lost relatives so that they do not search for their loved ones and thereby prevent breaches of this masquerade, and to be clear I would do this not for you or even for myself but because they should have closure and this would be the safest method of providing it for them", pausing briefly and indicating the bodies, "and I would advise you that sooner or later people will notice they are missing even if it is only the tax man", continuing "but then I could also tell you I speak 5 languages, can play the piano and know how to kick with accuracy and speed higher then my head", in a somewhat dull tone "but I would assume that none of that impresses you in the slightest, so your only call is as follows as I see it", taking a breath that was again not needed "Kill me and avoid the most obvious risks that I am not trustworthy, or let me live and hope that my benefits outweighs my negatives" her face expressionless "and I somehow doubt that you have lived so long by taking unnecessary risks".

There she had said it, it was a cold logic but if it made it easier for him then well at least she had given him cause to ensure polite closure for the victims families - and her own mother - she couldn't expect to get better then that tonight, she had sold her death as steeply as she really felt she could.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Mike said nothing, nor did Slick. Flat Face chuckled quietly. “Oh, and are you saying that humans politics are any better.” It was more of a statement than a question.

Faruq’s words changed a lot. Now almost every kindred looked over to Faruq in disbelief, or anger. The fashionable clique in the middle were grinning like fools, anticipating what was to come. Danielle spoke her words, but they were lost on the Prince who was focusing on Faruq now. The Prince looked over curiously. Though it was Josef who stood up first, red in the face. “Damn you, you insolent, stupid little man! I will-“ His voice was cut immediately as Jean lifted his hand up.

Jean du Noir gave Faruq an appraising look. “Faruq, is it? We had a name for your kind back in Paris. We called them ‘le pitre’, which translates into clowns. Please, look around you, and find a single kindred in this room who is impressed by you, find even one of the servant ghouls who thinks you impressive. No? You cannot find any? I will inform you, and the other fledgling just this once, so you may understand.

“A waste of time you say? You see nothing. Your eyes are too busy staring at an underage girl’s ass to pay attention to what matters, not understanding that we are settling several delicate matters that otherwise would have been resolved with bloodshed. You think my jest at Josef was to your benefit? You hear nothing. You are too busy convincing yourself of baseless superiority derived from a Western culture that teaches everyone they’re special to understand I labeled you a fool. As a human you were nothing but a petty crook, no? If you were presented in front of the most ill-reputed criminals in the city would you speak to them this way? I wonder because we own most of them.

“Flat Face, remove his tongue, he’s lost the privilege to use it in my presence. Josef, any kindred of your Clan has my consent to give him final death if you choose. I will not stand for a fledgling dancing around my city like a monkey causing problems.” Not at one point did Jean lose his temper. His voice was more akin to one giving a casual debate.

Flat Face stood up, cracking his knuckles, and pulling out a large hunting knife. As he did, Quenton turned to Trent. “Wait, why does Flat Face get his knife?” Trent shrugged.

“Now then Al, I had a question for you.”

As Flat Face closed in on Faruq, Al responded. "As you no doubt heard her, she holds a solid grasp of the situation. She's also smarter than at least one of the properly embraced kindred. Also, the book is yours."

Jean smiled. "Well then, it looks like we have a deal then. Only a few loose ends to tie up then. Danielle, if you would say your name, your full name, and kiss my hand, and swear upon the six traditions you will be accepted into my city, under the condition that your life is dependant upon the death of the hunter, Jackal the Ninebladed."
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-07-26 at 09:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, God is Amy's first thought when she hears the order being given. A little part of her brain goes Stay down and shut up, for God's sake, otherwise they'll kill you too, but the largest part, beside being horrified, is counteracting with You know the guy. He bought s pack of chips and talked about the weather. He is a human being and alright, he's probably an idiot, but are you really going to let this happen without saying anything? Because if so, it would have been much better if you had stayed dead an hour ago. Because I sure as hell don't know who you are anymore.

That seems like quite a long debate, but in reality, in the mind, it doesn't take much time. Less than a second later, Amy has jumped on her feet and is saying, hoping desperatly that it would work "Your majesty!" which probably isn't the proper way to address the prince, but screw that. "Would you accept a plea for him?" The first part of the sentence is spoken urgently; the second, as humbly as Amy can manage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Amy is operating on the assumption that they're going to kill Faruq. Which may not necessarily be true, but she has no way of knowing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Now, while he'd had daggers drawn on him before, Faruq was not a guy for fighting, and he certainly didn't want to get stabbed over some old geezer's dearly devastated ass. He figured some explaining could just do the trick, however, and he did have their attention, now: "Nah, really, I mean it. Dis is such a load, it's like you basically don't even need a trial. You want justice? Then you can't hate on no victims, here, dat much is obvious, or i'n't it, now?" Seeing how I'm speaking now already, anyway, I might as well continue. Did that guy just draw a knife on me? Did he just order him to get my tongue? It's prolly just a test, don't bother. "Way I see it, all you's doin' is put on a show, and act like you's like all-important and in charge. Which you might be, no question, but I just don't see the point, alright?" He paused, looking around, standing a little more straight, a little more resolved, and bent on this whole deal's fast resolution, confused and afraid though he was by now.

"See, obviously, I don't yet know how this whole thing works, y'see? Like, you tell me you's Ca-ma-rya, and dat's like yer gang, and basically there are like seven clans in dat one? But there's thirteen left or some? Alright. But me, I's speaking as a guy wha' did already have a clan before this, like, al-Assad is my name, 'n' all. 'n' basically, I didn' even lis'en to the half of it, 'cos it's a lil' bit much to take, alright? But wha' I did, I done been told that everybody who I ever done looked up to, they's a corpse." Or, basically, screw it. Speed's all gathered, now. "Like, not a dead one, but mo' like a livin' one, like yous. Mah uncle, he done given me a second chance, and he's a Kind-red, like the bunch a you, and his name's like Ahmad al-Assad, what done iced that Weinmann brother, who I have been told was like yer pre-de-cessa', Ol... yer majesty. Alright? So, I's not sayin', I'm the enemy, I'm tellin' you you better lis'en, if yer wan' my word on dis, 'cos, like, my word's like follows, ken?"

By now, he'd caught his breath, was settling into flow and meter of his speech, trying to focus on the very essence of his Goddamn-Ferret drug-dealing convincing power like so many times before, yet still he found his panic surging up, much like his anger, and his accent slipping, like too many times since coming to America. Plus, well, that one flat-faced jackass now bore down on him, blade drawn, which was the reason why he talked so very fast: "The hell is wrong with you, ye wankers?" Prolly not a test, then. Not as planned. "Like, real talk, Princeship? I done been impressed by you. I seen dis hall fulla punks for myself by now, and I'm nah impressed by nah single one a' dem either. But I was impressed by you, running the business, not givin' a damn and stylin' on ol' Krauty here like noone'd even bother. Ya wan' that to be over, now? Like, really done-dead-over up in here? Then go ahead, sic dat dere ass on me. But honestly? Bitch looks like he done failed to dodge a door every so often, and you send 'im in a fight with me? You better believe all dat's e'er gonna get you is like some ten(!) dead(!) men(!) up in dis once it's over and dat one homie with a whack-ass Croc'o-Dundee-knife what's done up even uglier than he done been before!" Prolly not the smartest of insults a dude can drop upon a bunch of goblins, but so what, they started it. Best to give him what for all it's worth.

"You want my tongue out? You call me a monkey? You say I'm a clown in French? Well, tough luck, Princy, and yer Western culture can go suck it, 'cos I's Arab, 'n' a lion, 'n' I'm smarter than the whole damn bunch a' you!" Fighting it is, then. Don't panic. Calm. Let 'im come, let 'im suffer, here! "When dis bitch dere firs' came for me, I thought she was the Mossad, yes?" Here, Faruq pointed at Melanie, while slowly, determinedly, stalking backwards, not breaking eye contact with Jean (Nobility be damned, you won't have it so easy, goblin bitch!), all the time readying himself in due expectance of a blow. "And I learned dat my uncle? He done iced some Jew. He iced dat Jew so bad his ho got wonky, and I figured, hey, alright, I get it, I can deal! But now? You know what I done realised jus' now? I almos' killed dat bitch when I was jus' a mortal, and I'm offa Kin-dred, now. It took her four damn bullets and like five gos withat damn ol' hammer jus' ta bust me over, so you bet your wrinkly, old-ass, faithless... ass dat I can bust ya up in turn! AND HOW!"

He proceeded to spit, right there, down on the carpet, to get some of the gathered saliva out of his mouth. He had it. He had it with the Kindred, with the lies, with all the playing of this masquerade of theirs, and most importantly, he'd had it with these people thinking they were tough crap when they weren't, obviously. He was the toughest, after all, and on the top, it's really only lonely cause there can be only one. "So I'd say, you wanna come for me? You can have a go! But you don't get to push me over, you don't get to push me down, and I'll give as many as you care to take, and still be standin' when we're done with it, y'know?" By this point, he had backed against a wall. Expectant, ready 'n' waitin', divide the herd. "But you better be realisin' dat to sic yer knife-boy on some guy that's smarter doesn't make ya look important, it just makes ya look afraid! You can't deal with a guy who outsmarts ya, then politics and ya bitch-ass owned criminals ain't got jack on me, and dey's nah no place for yous, either, hear?"

And trying to at least not go out without one last hoorah, he figured he could as well... just ask. Yeah. Basically. Panic washing over him, all over, fear of final death slowly, but surely, taking hold, he leveled a glance straight at Jean du Noir, Josef Kirsch, and the entire goddamn table, and pointedly asked: "So. Will you play it like a bitch, or will you hear me out here? You wanna take your chances I'll tear yer flat-head down and ice you, or take the chances that I just so happen to have a clue, and know what I'm talking about, and could help ya, here? Because it so happens, you want a trial, I have a proposition that will help everyone, 'n' not jus' her, not jus' you, nor jus' Jackass, either." Jackass the One-Shotted. Nice bad burn, that, but I gotta focus, life's on the line in here.

He almost felt like he had screwed up now, but he had opened his cup, he'd drink it, too. And what's so bad about likin' asses, now? Your balls already rotten off, or somethin'? Dis is like State a' Washington, 'n' not France. Age of consent is sixteen, here, and she's about at least that old or some-in' by the looks of her. Still, though, you people best not come for me, I tried to save ya, better you remember that. It simply got away. He was stubborn, for sure, and stupid. But that was where he stood, back to the wall, and with a chance of being listened to, now that he'd clearly taken up position. And as he so rambled, he felt something, maybe panic, maybe instinct, maybe God, take hold and blast forth from his anguished form and well into the Kindred gathered as he felt that this was it, his last and only shot at an impression. One to last, that was. Right. I got superpowers now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. Extreme measures, extreme circumstances, all that jazz. Seeing how this is kind of his last shot at making it, however, I figure some rolls are alright, y'see?

So, to intimidate (yes, intimidate, I'm insisting on it): Not so much Strength+Intimidation, but more like Charisma+Intimidation, plus maybe the two from voice? Would give: (7d10)[2][9][5][2][10][10][4](42) (EDIT: Boo Yeah, DOUBLE-TEN!)

Then, to make a convincing point through all his panicked rambling, maybe the same+Expression, too? (7d10)[6][4][2][7][8][1][3](31)

And ultimately, blowing off one Presence to use Awe. And this is final, now.

Also, don't misinterpret my phrasing, I'm neither mad at you, nor intentionally disruptive. Faruq is simply thinking that he's fighting for his life by now, and you are obviously free to just not count my rolls. I just figured I'd have him use his build at least once ere it's over. In case there's something you don't like about me doing this, or playing in this manner, or if there's something I oughta know about, simply take it up with me over in OOC.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-26 at 09:57 PM. Reason: We're cool.

20. - Top - End - #80

DrowGuy

Rick is bothered, but not surprised by the prince's decision. Faruq had brought this on himself. There was a tradition behind these meetings that none of them could even begin to comprehend yet. All the same, he had been standing up for Danielle, so the detective gives him credit for that. Cutting his tongue out was extreme, but maybe it would finally impress upon him the need to tone it down a little. He'd not be long for this world otherwise.

Then Amy is on her feet, and he groans loudly, shooting her a look that questions her sanity. His companions may not be happy until all of them have their tongues cut out. Not him though. He's going to keep quiet, at least until he actually has the power to change things.

Until then though, you're sitting back and letting innocent people die. People that are trying to do the right thing. For God's sake, you left the department because of its corruption and moral bankruptness. You're going to sit here and let this injustice occur?

Yes. Rick answers. Speaking now accomplishes nothing, except getting myself killed. If I've learned nothing else, it's to pick my battles better.

He remains seated and watches the confrontation, even as his brain calls him a coward and a hypocrite. Maybe he was. But if it kept him alive and in good standing, maybe it was worth being one. Especially after Faruq goes on his rampage. Now he mainly feels concerned for Amy, and what speaking up for such a fool would do to her reputation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing personal Worlok. I greatly enjoy Faruq. Rick may take a bit of time to warm up to him, though.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no worries, though that is a long speech considering Flat Face is closing in on you. We'll let it play out though.

As Jean had his hand outstretched for Danielle to kiss, he seemed to be paying Faruq less and less attention. "No Amy, I will not hear any pleas for the idiot. He can grow his tongue back, though he shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to do so."

Flat Face caught a hold of Faruq, and went to work. Faruq could kick, and punch all he wanted, but never had he met someone so strong as Flat Face who picked him up like a ragdoll. Jean continued. "And yes Faruq, you clearly don't understand the way things work, however rather than listen and learn like your peers you chose to run your mouth off and pretend you did." Metal cut into flesh. Somehow Faruq could still hear Jean through the pain. "Understand the reason this is happening is not because of your insults, or your threats, but because you are being distracting. We have important matters to discuss tonight, and you are wasting our time. As soon as you cease your babbling, your existence will grow easier."

Rogan leaned over to Josef. "Weinmann was a Jew?"

Josef, who's mood had seemingly improved shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure where that delusion came from. He was a Taoist."

One of the fashionable clique took a picture of Flat Face and Faruq, the Nosferatu smiling for the picture.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

As Faruq's tirade continued, Claire's fist slammed on her table before she could stop herself. She did however manage to remain in her seat. The last thing Danielle or anyone needed was some idiot poser thinking he was going to save the day.

Claire made polite apologies to anyone that happened to have noticed, though in the general murmur she hoped none had.

Still wading through Faruq accents and meaningless gyrating there were fascinating details. Just who was Faruq and how had someone like him not had his teeth knock in. And did he just say his uncle had killed the previous Prince? There was a puzzle there and Claire wanted to know the answer. Still she had to shelve that for later consideration. And because she didn't want to think about a man getting his tongue cut out more then she had too. Like the Prince had just said, he could grow it back. That made sense, the human body was not indestructible, if at vampire was not alive some 'magic' for lack of a better word must ensure a static state. Interesting but not important at the moment, Claire was still trying to keep her focus on the trial.

The Prince was speaking to Danielle again and if she caught that right, the teen would live. For now. If she'd followed all that right she was going to help fight some kind of hunter with a crazy nickname. Well that was better then nothing. This "Jackal" though, were they planning on telling any of the newcomers about this hunter? Claire had had enough of being assaulted. If they didn't mention more she'd have to bring it up with Rogan. She'd already had a loosing record in a fight, she needed to know enough to avoid them. And maybe how to win them too.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Dammit. Amy has to close her eyes briefly, disgusted. Underneath that, thoug, she is furious. You had made your point, you jerkass she thinks There was absolutely no reason for going through with it.

At least he's not dead she thinks, by way of consolation At least there's that.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    He warned you, he told you not to run your mouth. Think this is juvie where you get 'cleanup duty' if you misbehave? This is the big leagues, and they don't mess around if you don't fall in line; no 'cruel and unusual' clause here. Still, seems like the punishment isn't permanent, which is good. Can't look, stay focused on what's important... need to talk to Josef... what the hell is Jackal nine blades...

Erica forced herself to ignore her clanmate's plight, forcing her hands to fold on the table in front of her and directing her attention back to the primogen.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-07-26 at 10:44 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

What was all she could think they are going to cut out his tongue, processing there words, cut out his tongue she had earlier suffered an injury and it was healed now ... was this fatal, permanent and would clan Ventrue act on the permission to destroy one of their own.

His speech - the elements she caught - made her lose some empathy for him, a criminal, and seemingly a violent one, intimately familiar with the age of consent, a family involved in murder ... still to be mutilated like this?

Well she could not help him, and trying to interfere would likely not end well for either of them.

Wait she heard the conversation return to her, so she could survive at least for tonight subject to the death of another, it sat poorly with her, but he was a murderer who had killed policemen along with monsters, and killed monsters who had committed no crime.

She took her knee with the grace she could manage but it was clear she was unsure about this, "I Danielle Leblanc", she moved to kiss his hand still unsure that this would not be the moment he would choose to twist her head off or preform some similar action , her lips met the skin gently and she moved back "swear not to make people aware of the existence of vam ... the kindred through action of inaction, not to knowingly intrude on the territory of another without permission" how she was to know was somewhat unclear "not to create any additional kindred" she probably was meant to say without permission, but she had no intention either way, "to take full responsibility should I through error breach the third tradition" somewhat pointless for her but she supposed mistakes could in theory happen - she would have to follow up with someone Al maybe, to ensure that she knew now to avoid these potential mistakes "to follow the laws according to my words here tonight, and to inform any kindred I do not know to report to the appropriate authority for presentation to yourself" how she was expected to know who was allowed and who wasn't was somewhat beyond her, "and not to cause the destruction of another of our kind", she was tempted to stop their but this time continued "without approval", pausing "I swear this in the knowledge that failure to adhere will result in my death, and that regardless of adherence my continued life is subject to Jackal the Ninebladed being put beyond the ability to harm any individual", she did not swear to murder him but in truth she could think of no alternative method of securing her pledge.

Without standing she looked at the prince to see if he was satisfied with this pledge of if he would expect more.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Jean chuckled approvingly at Danielle. "You are right Al, she is a smart one, and she ha French blood as well. If I had known that, I may have allowed your plan to go for free." He clapped his hands twice again. "I declare this room now Elysium, hand your knife to a servant Flat Face.

Flat Face did so.

"Claver bastard." Quenton muttered.

The Primogen stood up, and moved to mingle with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    We skipped ahead of you a bit, Worlok, sorry about that. I figure one post will have you caught up. Player characters have first dibs on who to talk to, I'll let conversations move around who they go to first.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    At the Prince's declaration of Elysium (yet another thing to ask Josef about), Erica's first thought was to speak with the private investigator, but she spared a glance to her sire first. If he desired her presence for something related to Faruq's outburst...

Deciding it would be rude to leave the table without speaking, she introduced herself.

"I'm Erica Lee," she said, turning away from the front of the room, "nice to meet you."
    She put on her best smile and looked the stranger (Iris) in the eye. If Josef wanted her, he could pick her up on his way past.

If Al Rowe has returned to the table, she will introduce herself to him as well.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #88

DrowGuy

Rick watches in awestruck horror, (but also, if he is being honest, a bit of fascination) as Faruq's tongue is cut out. He finds himself flicking his own back and forth for the next several minutes, as if to prove it's still there.

Hearing the Prince declare the room open, as it were, Rick considers his options. He'd like to talk to a few of the other newcomers. It might be nice to form some friendships now. It could help down the road. For now though, he turns to Quenton.

"So, would this be a good time to introduce myself to Henry? He's our... superior?" He tries to hide it, but his tone carries a hint of disbelief at that fact.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-07-27 at 01:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy is still on her feet, still staring ahead. To tell the truth, she's probably a little shell-shocked. She wants to go where Faruq is, to help the man up, but in all honesty, in this moment she doesn't know if it'll make things better or worse. The other girl, Erica, is of his clan, does that mean that she should stay away and let the...Ventrue deal with their own? She still doesn't know how these damned things work.

She finally turns around, slowly, to look at Mike. "I had some questions for you" she says, flatly. "You tell me when it is a good time to ask without having my tongue cut out." There's dull rage in the sentence, just below the surface.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-07-27 at 01:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Her mind racing a mile a minute, she wasn't dead nor would she die tonight - baring something unexpected and what are the chances of that she thought bitterly, still she would take her chance at life.

She nodded her thanks to the prince her voice low "Thank you sir", she stated in French her accent that of her mother's and spoken as someone who had learned it from a very young age, if the man missed his home and still found comfort in its thought she could at least be polite about it.

She turned to Al and returned to English, "and thank you for standing for me, I hope I haven't caused you any real difficulty", pausing while she considered whether to mention it "I am sorry for your loss", she knew that the words were nearly always meaningless to the person that heard them so soon after the loss, but then still needed to be said both to acknowledge the loss and to allow the other person to know that other people cared. She swiftly moved on "If you have time I would like to clarify some points on not intruding on others territories, and how to avoid making more vampires but I understand if you are busy ... but right now I would like to call my mother and make sure she is not panicking about me, would it be possible to ask someone if I could use a phone in private, please", hopefully her mother had not done something that would cause her issue, and she would be able to come up with a solid reason for some lifestyle changes.