New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Faruq

Right. Best to come clean on that right away. The young man figured his course of action the other night had been natural, a regular response to such a circumstance. But Flockton needed an explanation, he'd get one, obviously. Taking the appropriate amount of breathing space, Faruq waited a moment before giving his reply, establishing the aforementioned one-sided eye contact and standing up as straight as possible: "Well, y'see, thing is, yes 'n' no. With Yuri, it'd be somethin' else. I mean, I kinda know what a Russian is. I had no idea what... vampires are. Still don't, not really, by the way." Let that one sink in for a spell. "And I mean, I kinda know how to treat the man. Basically be polite, he respects that, or so I'm told, but some folks don't. Though, sure thing, he comes in here and opens up on us with five guys on SMGs, you bet ya ass I'd hunker down and fire back, alright. So when I stood back there surrounded by these people-things I had no clue about..."

What, actually? What actually happened then?

Forcing the events he remembered from the previous evening into an order that kind of made sense, the young Arab composed himself before carrying on, but as so often in the presence of the older man, he failed to prevent his accent from slipping here and there: "Well, basically, I showed up at Deadman 'n' Kursh's like you said I should, right, and dey launch aw dat crap on me, and I di'n't even know what dey's on about, awright? I'm like, well, 'get in there, then get it over with, then go on home and toke'. But nooo, she's like 'I will take you' - 'n' I mean, like, biblically take you, here, includin' givin' me the ride 'n' aw." His mockery of Melanie's voice was off, even given the standards applicable in mockeries. But it probably served its purpose. "''n' den I'll kill you and not e'en mensh' dat I din' e'en mean like dat, y'know, and also check out dese fangs a' mine!' An' she jumps me like, an' I fight back 's well I could, ye know? Almost beat her, too. But she's stronger, right?"

Not a pleasant memory, that one. Some office bitch and then stronger than he was, just like that - not that that was that bad in and of itself, but a bitch... "So, first thing I remember after her teeth went in is... like... waking up. In chains. In some dank basement and surrounded by the enemy." You gotta see this, Charles, it's what -anyone- would have done. A lot of pent-up fear and nervosity was breaking out in this, but for the moment, he managed to reassume full self-control: "And then I'm told that I'm dead, but not really, and then they made me drink blood and played some sharade on me, and finally they cart my ass off to Goblin Boy and his knife retard, and guess what, the knife retard cuts my tongue when I'm layin' down how it is. I figured..." Wait. Don't come on too strong. Let him understand your angle here. It's hard for you, it might be harder yet for him. Faruq took a deep, deep breath. He had already been gathering speed again. "Well, basically, I thought my life 'n' your life 'n'... everythin' were 'pon da line, startin' wi' bu'ness 'n' goin' on up all a' da way to me fam'ly, like. Our family, kinda, Charles. You's in because a' Ahmad, 'n' so you're in far as I'm concerned, but you know that already, sorry there. So, y'know, I kinda figured, they'll wanna use me, hostage-style, so before I give 'em the pleasure I go down fightin', or not at all. I figured I had to, to save y'all. And me, if possible. Second-step 'n' aw. 'n' dat's basically why I did like I did, you see?"

That was it. The final point. Fighting or not at all. He had taken one for his people, there, and Flockton himself had highlighted every so often just how important loyalty was. If nothing else, he'd be able to hold his footing, here.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-09-03 at 07:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Claire made her way out of the apartment and found Victor's truck. She wasn't entirely sure where she was in relation to her apartment, but would be glad to be out of this neighborhood. Though now she supposed that anyone that messed with her would be in for quite the surprise. That wasn't something she wanted to put to the test though. Climbing into the truck Claire started it and drove off.

Soon enough she found a main road she recognized and steer for the crosstown trek to her apartment. Heavensworth College and the district that with it where she lived, no had lived, wasn't exactly the highest rent part of town, but it was a big step up from Victor's seedy ghetto. And at almost exact opposite ends of town too. The drive would give her a chance to think.

She was dead, but not. She had eaten a man last night. And yet as horrifying as that was she couldn't deny the thrill of it all. Deep inside her there was some part that had reveled in it, wanted it more and more. Like all the best drugs, food, and sex rolled up into one. The ghost of desire made her shift in the uncomfortable clothes, but her heart did not speed up and her body did not flush in response. The disconnect made Claire move on. She couldn't do anything about what had happened, she had made that surrender last night.

Claire needed to prioritize a little beyond the immediate. Rogan said he was taking her hunting tonight. Everytime couldn't be like with Charlie though. That made no sense. Claire was willing to question a lot now, but vampire still had to answer to some reason. If they had to kill every time they'd not have survived. For that matter she remember Rogan and her, that had been ectasy. Why have such a reaction if you just sucked the life out of someone? And her fellow fledglings, they didn't act like they had if her memory served, too casual with their thirst then too sickened to see its source. So she didn't have to kill each time. Claire silently made a promise this would be one area she wouldn't let Rogan force her into.

Now there was a more complex issue. Claire couldn't deny the warm feelings echoing through her for him. He wasn't entirely lost to human affection, his conduct once she'd agree to be turned had shown that. On the other hand, if you fit the right category you might as well be chopped liver to him. It worried Claire, she had to filter out the Stockholm for a minute. What did he really want with her? His account, the Masquerade, and the rest. He'd killed for it, but without malice. Was he doing no more then troubleshooting, debugging the code of his life in different ways until the problem stopped? She'd not considered that before. Worth checking out for sure.

And the problem, now there was a thorny one. She'd not given the accounts any mind before last night, but what she had agree to do. That had to be handled with care. She'd knew more then a smidge about banking and finance, dear old daddy the banker had not wanted his little girl to get taken advantage of. And she managed her own money and added business courses to it. Rogan wanted her to make an account disappear, that could be tricky. Math she had always believed had no tricks. Whether banking or computers in the end one equaled one and one plus one equaled two. It was fundamentally the truth, but she had to make the truth dance a fine gig now.

It wasn't something she could work out here though, not from memories. Rogan had given her some time, perhaps she could make some head way on the problem. A few things made sense though. One the age couldn't have been the only oddity with the account, something must have made Gary dig deeper then that. And obviously something in that had to have led to Rogan, if he couldn't remember the name on the account, how the heck had he known Gary was looking into it in the first place? Must be something else compromising to be found.

Hmm that also would probably rule out a simple solution. She'd wasn't going to get away with a quick edit of information and be done. Who knew what was on physical record either. Put together and, she needed to get the money out of the account and then build the deadest end she could. Here though math wouldn't lie, she'd need to actually put the money somewhere or the bank would wonder why someone had made them poorer. When the mark knew they'd been cracked that could be game over, there was only so much she had the gear to hide.

No, wait. Electronic wire transfers were already old hat by a decade or so, that would be her way out. Slide it out of the bank through its own means. Still easier thought then done. Worst of all to wire the money she needed somewhere to put it. And too much money too fast would flag interest. Her own accounts wouldn't do. She never really looked into the sketchier means of banking... but her little group had a few that maybe had. She could put the feelers out tonight if she had time. Yes there was a good idea. Have everything ready, and then confront Rogan over what she really meant to him. That sounded like the best she could do.

As Claire finished her muddling she made the final turn to bring her close to her own place. The neighborhood was nicer, but by no means high rent. This was college territory, lots of cheap-ish but not spectacular places catering to students. Claire had maybe more money then most, her own apartment was a little above the dirt cheapest rate. In particular Chelsea Gardens wasn't one building, but a set of low two story housing units spread over a couple acres of land. Claire turned into the complex, her own place was near the back, a second story in the middle of a row. She'd always said the stairs up were good for her though and the place was quiet enough. It had suited her through most of her graduate studies. Coming up on it Claire scanned the area for a parking place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Took a little liberty on description here since I'd described the inside but not outside of Claire's place before.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Erica

Erica felt something warm on his skin. Then it became hot. Her eyes shot open seeing the fire from Josef's hand burning her arm. Her sight went red, blind with fear. It was as if the world was screaming into her head, trying to pull her in different directions, any direction but the spot she was standing on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for courage, difficulty 7.

Amy

"Sure, go ahead, Evaz." It was hard to tell the expression on his face, but by the sound of his voice, he seemed fairly casual. Almost too casual for what he had done last night. Still, Mike seemed rather open to whatever Amy wanted to ask. It was at this point she noticed he was dressed up fairly nice. A scarf, a sports jacket, a nice pair of jeans.

Rick

The door had a leering gargoyle face on it. At the second knock, the door began to swing open. If the library before had put him on edge, the books in this room set every nerve on fire. He could feel the darkness within the books tangibly. Hank looked up, looking haggard from an old tome. "What do you want?" He paused, rethinking himself. "Oh yes, I called you here, didn't I?"

He gestured for Rick to sit down on a plain wooden chair. "So you chose Elemental Mastery. I admit I have not seen its use in some centuries. It is interesting to see a modern kindred take it up. I hear most take up some monstrosity like technomancy or pick up lure of the flames and meet an untimely end at their own hands." He chuckled at the latter example. "Still, I find it an acceptable choice. He reached over to the far side of his desk, taking hold of a manila envelope, handing it to Rick. "Last night, one of our ghouls was murdered in the Hillside neighborhood. He had to life leeched out of him. I want you to investigate the matter, find out who killed him. You may choose one of the still living ghouls to accompany you. I assume you will pick Quenton's Asian, though you may call upon the others if you want to evaluate them as well. I believe they are in all in the chantry at the present.

"For your services, you may ask me any one question now which I will answer truthfully, and one upon you completing your task."

Not as one point did Henry seem amused, or anything better than cool with Rick's presence.

Danielle

"All right, time to go see Gregor."

They drove for about ten minutes. Flat Face look more human now, still ugly, but passable for something other than a monster. He was a teltned driver, but his callous regard for human life was applied to the road as well. He didn't hit anyone, or anything, but never had Danielle driven with someone so aggressive behind the wheel.

They parked by the docks, illegally, and Flat Face moved up to the shore. "Hey Gregor! I brought a Clanless to see you!" The water was dark, and Danielle couldn't see anywhere or anything swimming in it.

Faruq

Flockton sighed, and fell into his chair, more than sat on it. "I was dominated, Faruq. I don't remember who, memory wiping's one of their tricks. I'm sorry for that." It was not normal for Flockton to apologize about anything. In fact, Faruq had never heard it. "That still doesn't mean you weren't a bloody fool." There was the old Flockton. "Ahmad always told you never underestimate what you don't know. I said the same. If you don't know something, don't assume you're superior, it'll get you killed. Worse, it might get me killed too."

He thought for another moment. "So here's the rundown for the Faruq. Kindred are social creatures. They interact with each other, they politic, they betray, they lie. Those that can do it the best survive, those that can't die." He pointed an accusing finger at Faruq. "And those who are impatient die even sooner. Ahmad knows what happened and is inclined not to speak to you right now. So all you have is me right now, boy. What's on your mind?"

Claire

She had to park a little further away. Not as bad as early morning when the commuters came in, but all the residents' cars were already parked. As she made her way towards the campus, it felt that the night before had just been a dream, that this campus was far more real.

She saw faces she recognize pass her, already drunk and heading for the bars.

Then came a voice that cracked through her world, and brought her back. "Top o' the mornin' to ye lassy." The thick Irish accent came from a man who was clearly a detective, his badge bright and shiny for her to see. "May I have a little word with ye?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Ow!" Erica said as she backpedaled away from the flame, hand instinctively covering her arm. She nearly tripped in her heels, but managed to keep her feet until her back hit the bookshelf.

"What the hell was that for?" she demanded, eyes still watching the flame warily. Then something clicked in her mind.

"Wait," she said, and held out one hand, attempting to will a flame to appear as it did for Josef.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

The walk from the truck was surreal. Claire had to wonder what any one of these people would think if they'd seen what she had the past night. Yet she knew a simple check of her pulse would show it had been no illusion. She also couldn't escape the thought that every single one of them was full of delicious life. Just a little bite and it could be hers. She could even think of how, this was college full of young and hormonal youths. She herself had managed a respectable score of flings on this very campus. How easy would it be to take a bit of lustful intimacy in a direction these poor blokes never would have imagined? Too easy maybe, Claire didn't want to loose control again.

A voice with a heavily Irish accent brought her out of her examinations though. Turning to face the voice Claire found herself staring at a badge. A cop, what ugly coincidence was this? Had her heart still been beating Claire was sure it would have been racing. Being dead had some advantages it seemed.

"What can I do for you, officer...?" she said politely to the police detective hesitating to let him give his name,

Claire kept her face as neutral as she could. This had to be a fishing expedition, if she was about to be arrested then she doubted he would have introduced himself. Still she had too many secrets even before tonight to feel easy talking to a officer of the law. What she had done in her spare time wasn't exactly legal to begin with. And then there was what had happened to her. She absolutely could not afford trouble with the law now.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick

Fighting to keep the surprise off his face when Henry correctly guessed at the focus of his studies, Rick nodded. He was beginning to wonder if he should have chosen something else. After all, there had to be a reason this path had fallen out of favor over the centuries. Still, it seemed he could have chosen worse.

Listening intently to his first assignment, Rick finds himself looking forward to it. It had been so long since he had done a real investigation. It would be nice to get out there and make sure his skills had not gotten rusty. As for his ghoul, he would take Chase if she was not busy running errands for one of the others. He liked the girl. She had a good head on her shoulders, and was pretty sensible. Didn't hurt that she was cute.

And now he got to ask a question. Rick debated. The cop in him wanted to ask a question about the case, where to start looking for information. But he suspected Henry viewed the whole matter as a sort of test of the new Tremere. And the former detective wanted to prove he was capable of handling matters on his own. Besides, all the information he needed was likely contained in the envelope he had just been handed. So he risked asking something more personal.

"I'll get on the matter right away... Sir. As for my question, out of curiosity, what was your first path of study in Blood Magic? I found benefits in many of them, but Elemental Mastery appealed to me the most. Maybe the primal nature of it.
    "
    He didn't know why he was so curious as to Henry's selection, but it seemed only fair that since Henry knew his path, Rick should learn his.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhm...right" She lets go of his hand, and goes near the table to pour herself a glass of blood, downing it. The idea was to take a little time to come up with a better way to phrase the question, but nothing comes to mind.

To hell with it, she thinks, and she goes for the direct approach. "Mike, what exactly is a..." Now how had the prince called it? Or Danielle, for that matter "...a blood bond, and how exactly does it work?

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Perception+Empathy (6d10)[10][1][4][8][4][1](28). Is there something strange about Mike,compared to yesterday? EDIT: well,with those rolls, probably not.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-09-04 at 12:56 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Gregor the name rang a bell, she thought about it on the drive, an excellent way to avoid notice, drive like a maniac and park illegally she suppressed a sigh, he likely knew what he could get away with on the road and the car might not be his so planting it here for the police might be part of a plan to cover up the body ... maybe.

It came to her then Gregor was a name mentioned when introductions were occurring with the primogen, a throw away comment but one that had enough meaning to be made if only she could remember it fully.

Looking at the water and seeing no movement, "Who is Gregor, and why is it important that he meet me?" she asked her voice low but still load enough to be regular speech so as not to come across as whispering about the person that might be listening in.

She suspected that this would be a meet and greet with most residence a 'this is mine, stay off it, and oh yes the princes protection is to prevent death it won't stop me hurting you', but she had expected Flat Face to actually instruct her in some things so her suspicions might be worthless.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Erica

Spoiler
    Show
    Erica suffers one point of aggravated damage.

Josef's brow furrowed slightly. The fire disappeared from his hand, and the fear within Erica subsided. "I see. The third and final legacy of our clan, is fortitude, resistance to what can kill other kindred. It seems as if dominate is your true calling." He sighed at Erica's attempt to produce a fire. "No Erica, to produce fire by will is something our clan does not inherently possess. I learned it from a kindred of another clan. Know that any kindred may learn any discipline, but learning the powers not natural to our bloodline is more difficult, though many are invaluably useful. Stand, Erica."

He did not dominate her. It was a command like any mortal could make. "You are dead Erica, and nothing can give you the breath of life again. I did it for my own purposes, it is to you to make your new condition suit your own desires. As an individual you can surpass all but the most talented mortals, and in time you will surpass even them. A bullet will not kill you. Starvation will only put you into a deep sleep we call torpor. You may use the blood in your veins to become stronger and faster should you choose so. However, there is a price.

"You are Erica Lee, but you are also a monster. The blinding fear you felt stemmed from what we call the beast. Within each kindred is an inhuman monster, a pathetic, mindless thing the eats at our will. It is a craven thing that runs from the sun and fire without any thought or control. When enraged it will murder everything around you, even friends, family, and lovers. Remember that at all times. There is always something inside you that is not human. The more the monster you act, the more the beast will be in control. So many of our kind have succumbed to it, so that only their inner beast remains, carving out a bloody path of destruction until they are put down like the dogs they are, by us, or by whoever doesn't fall prey to them.

"That is what you are."

He paused, letting the words sink in. "Fire and sunlight are the most effective ways to kill us. A wooden stake through the heart can paralyze us. Starvation will send us into torper, a state very similar to a coma. We can be killed by more mortal means, though it is far more difficult. A single shot of the pistol, straight to the head, will not be the end of us. A thousands bullets that turn us into little more than a mess on the sidewalk would destroy most kindred, our regenerative capabilities cannot regrow limbs and severe wounds, they cannot regrow our entire bodies. Beheading works usually. I once witnessed a Brujah rip his opponent's heart from his body, and crush it in his fist. Suffice to say the opponent turned to ash immediately.

"You have little to fear from a single mortal, or even half a dozen of them. You would stand little chance against a trained SWAT team."

Claire

"Oh? What can ye do? That is a smart question for a smart lass. Ye can do a lot of things. Ye can turn around and give a little shake to yer rump. Ye can lean over and give good ol' Harry a kiss." He stepped closer. "I think we should start off with business though. After all, I doubt Rogan told his little pup the way things work around here the way he likes to forget so often himself. The university is off grounds to kindred, lass... unless ye want to give ol' Harry a favor." For a moment, it seemed as if the man's eyes were red.

Rick

Henry did not notice or did not care about Rick's surprise. His mood turned completely neutral at Rick's question. From what little Rick had learned about the boy, he had probably asked a good question. "My second path?" Henry tapped the fingers on his left hand on the desk in thought. "I believe it was the Path of Corruption, a most useful path, though one that seems less necessary in the modern nights. In days old, it took a few words in a long forgotten tongue to turn a holy man from his faith. Today, the same can be accomplished with a good marketing ploy, or straight up cash."

Henry's eyes seem to drift to long ago. "You may go now. Be sure to meet the recluse before you leave."

Amy

Nothing seemed odd about Mike.
    Spoiler
    Show

He nodded as was his habit before answering. "A blood bond is one of the most useful things to the kindred, and perhaps the most frightening. If you drink the blood of a single kindred three times, you will have an unatural affection to them, much like love. It cannot be controlled, and any means to break the blood bond are exceedingly difficult. Luckily, being embraced doesn't seem to count in that regard, but if you were to drink my blood more times, you'd lose a part of yourself.

"Be careful when another kindred offers you a drink, their own may be in the glass. Stories are told of elders who waited centuries between drinks, biding their time. Your best bet is to stay well fed, and avoid drinking from other kindred."

Danielle
    Finally, Danielle saw it. It came from the water, shambling onto the beach. Its face was covered in grimey hair, and it had a noticeably green tinge to its skin, fish scales covering patches of its body. "F*** do you want, sewer rat?"

The accent was light Russian, toned down no doubt by years in America.

"Wanted to show the new Caitiff a show of our more interesting inhabitants."

Gregor's hands balled into fists. He leaned towards Danielle. "So? Are you satisfied now that you've seen the freak?"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy hesitates a moment before answering "...oh. I see." The embrace doesn't count? "I guess I'm probably just an idiot, then" she mutters to herself. Still, it's comforting. Thinking about the implications of Danielle's words was frightening at best.

"If you want to go out, can I have a shower, first?" And...oh, sh- Amy suddenly realises that she has forgotten to do something quite important I’m an idiot. I’m the Queen of idiots, actually. “Mike...I forgot to warn my boss that I couldn’t be at work, today. Which probably means I’m fired and saves me the trouble to hand in my resignations, but I should check anyway. Is there a phone?”.

It isn't such a big matter, actually. She was just a minimum-wage clerk in a grocery shop, after all. But it's a way to keep her mind from thinking too deeply about things like blood bonds and staying well fed.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-09-08 at 06:52 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "I..see," Erica said, doing her best to mask disappointment from her voice, "so only domination? I'll be honest Mr. Kirsch, I'm afraid of this power... it strips away everything that makes people human, and turns them into my slave. All things being equal, I think I'd rather learn to sway emotions without taking away free will, when I have time, that is."

The young woman nodded and smiled weakly as Josef finished listing off the things which were deadly to Kindred.

"I'll do my best to keep the monster down... it was easier this time, so maybe practice helps. I don't think it's likely I'll get shot at by SWAT teams while I'm walking down the street, but I'll be careful," she said, "I was asking more if there were other individuals like Jack the Nine Bladed, or even organizations, that know about.. us and could identify me. Because right now, my plan is to pass for a normal person."

Erica glanced down at her blackened and blistered arm. The pain was less now, though definitely still there, a dull ache.

"That really hurt," she said, "it'll heal fully, right?"
    Her voice was casual, but her lip quivered ever so slightly as she beheld her own burned flesh.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

The person was a mess, horrifying in its own right like some monster from a children's story about avoiding the water or the fish man would get you, she steeled herself.

However when it spoke she began to ignore the appearance as the attitude was what mattered and it was almost normal, it ... no he, he was being disturbed in his own place and he wanted to know why, and when Flat Face clarified that there was no benefit to him and the entire reason was for nothing other then for her curiosity and introductions well it was natural to be annoyed and defensive.

"We are all blood drinking monsters here" is was an impulse statement muttered under her breath, neither of them was less of a oddity they her even if she had an advantage of looking human.

Meeting his eyes and pausing to consider her words for a second, her voice turned to a normal level "Nice to meet you Mr. Gregor" not likely to make a damn bit of difference but manners might be worth it anyway, "it was not my intention to cause you annoyance", maybe Flay Face's but not mine, "if you could give me any advice or explanation of how things work, or even just a break down of things you think every vam... kindred should know, I would appreciate it. But I understand if you either don't want to or don't have time". There now he could laugh in her face and tell her to bog off, but at least she had tried to learn maybe the attempt would be respected.

13. - Top - End - #283

DrowGuy

Rick

The Path of Corruption. The name certainly sounded ominous, and what little Rick had seen as he was glancing at the different paths suggested it lived up to its reputation. It was always part of the former cop's nature to learn everything he could about people, be they friend or foe. He wasn't sure which Henry was yet.

Though I hope for my sake he remains a friend. Or at least closer to that then an enemy.

Remaining respectful, Rick rises. "Thank you sir. I'll do that. Hopefully I'll have some answers for you within the next few nights." He's used to a bit of political wrangling since his time on the force. These types always liked tof eel they were being kept up to date. If the boy says nothing else, Rick will retrace his steps and rejoin the others.

He greets Chase first. "It's your lucky day. Or night rather. Henry's sending me out to investigate one of the ghoul's recent deaths over in Hillside. He said I could bring a ghoul to assist me. If you're free I'd appreciate your help."

He turns to Quenton. "My first real job for the clan. I'll try not to mess things up too badly." He smirks, before turning serious once again. "Oh yes, one more thing. Henry wanted me to meet the recluse before I go. I assume that's Venice?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

"You're not human then I take it then or at least something out of the ordinary," Claire said as she caught the flicker of the man's eyes.

Another vampire then? How could a vampire be a cop though, or was that merely a disguise. Either way the man was evidently a pig. You would think in by the 90s people would learn better then to be so blatant with their sexism. Still, Claire was not too uptight perhaps she could use that. The university was her home, she'd spent years here. Too many to simply tuck tail because some tough wanted her gone. Being a vampire didn't even come into things.

"As for a kiss, well I've kissed on the first date but normally the boy does have to work for it." Claire said with a light smile, "Since you evidently know me and Rogan perhaps let's start with a bit about you, and what does "off grounds" entail in full? Though I'm not adverse to doing anyone a favor if the terms are fair though."

While she spoke Claire she eyed the man carefully looking for details she could use. Was he breathing, what was he really interested in. She needed to tread carefully. Something told her that if this guy both knew about vampires and so casually told them to stay she'd didn't want to get him angry.

Spoiler
    Show
    So some perception rolls if I may:

Perception:(3d10)[4][7][4](15)

First just a general one since for odd visual details like those eyes or if he's breathing. Second to read our "totally unknown" persons mood etc:

Percep+Empathy: (4d10)[7][9][5][1](22)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Farug

"Basically... That this definitely didn't go as planned. They somehow outsmarted the both of us and led us right into a trap, so we likely gotta give 'em that for once, they had their act together. But... Well, this sounds arrogant, so I'm not gonna cruise around it, here... They're not the smartest sort, all in all. And they sure don't know about appearing competent. Don' worry though, no offense or anything, jus' first impressions and the likes. What I'm tryin' a' say is, I won't underestimate 'em again, 'n' I won't hold it against ya that ye frigged it once. So they won this one, yes, 'n' I'mma make damn sure that won't happen again, but ultimately, we've been doing a good showing, all in all. I forget about the... 'Domination' that ruined my life, you forget about my initial screw-up, and from here on out, we step our game up and don't let 'em step on our business like that, I get that right? No foolery from me, and then we'll work from there." An uncertain smile. This was banking on the 'fair' part of Charles Flockton's 'hard but fair' routine. And it was the opener to talking strategy: "You say memory wiping's one of their tricks, though... So... Seeing how I'm likely going to be seeing more of them... 'n' we're in this together, way I understood... I kinda wonder - What other tricks do they have that we know about? Or we, I mean you, for that matter, Clan... Assamite, yes?" A pause. Flockton had been gotten the drop on. Still no excuse, but an explanation. "I basically had it down to mind-reading, mind-control, doing that hoodoo where suddenly they seem trustworthy, and hitting like a truck on crack cocaine. With the Ventrue peeps, that is." And only then did Faruq allow himself a chuckle, darker than the ones we'd usually hear from him, and mayhaps a first sign of his travels down that particular slippery slope: Plus needing four bullets to take down one mortal and being so far up their long-defunct asses that their creep-magic's the one thing making people actually -work- with them. "And I think I can maybe do that trust thing myself. Just makes me wonder what we have, though, really. I may not have gotten many results, but I did get intel, 'n' when I was listenin' the other night, and that there Camarama business was in session, they made no mention of 'Assamites'. Mr al-Assad took down a prince, which is what Goblin Boy is, right? And I think they may have called him a 'jackal', too. And now there's some guy making news that's called Jackal the Nine-Bladed, or some such, and they're pissed-afraid of him. So, what's our deal? What do we actually do? We like the rival gang, or something of the sort? All huntin' Camaramas off our turf? And most importantly..." How should I put this best...? "... to me, that is... You know, I have no idea what's going on, 'n' whether the man's currently Mr al-Assad or still my ol' Uncle Ahmad, no clue where I stand, what my status is, whether I'm still in the fam or not... But you know my loyalties. I'm on your side, here. So basically... Assume I wanna help as good's I can, 'n'd like to prove myself, and whatever you can tell me is of use. And what you tell me to, I'mma mos' likely gonna do if I can do it. So... 'fore we do anything else... and seein' how both of us made mistakes... are we cool again?" And smiling awkwardly, he made to move an errant strand of hair out of his face and cautiously extended his right hand for Charles to shake it.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"Uh... yeah there's a phone, but... tell you what, we'll make that call once we're out and about. If we need to get anything of yours from there, won't be a problem. And yeah, you can get cleaned up, whatever you need to do."

Mike was obviously hiding something about the phone. He scratched the back of his head. "I'll... uh... meet you at the front door when you're ready."

Erica

Josef measured Erica once again. His features softened. "There are rumors of others like Jackal, but they are few and far between. Most witch hunters are completely normal humans, frail, half-mad, and without support or resources. Rumors persist of the Inquisition still existing but if it's true, they are focused on the East Coast and Europe. As for remaining hidden, it is all in the details. Unfortunately, that means you will have to learn to multitask in a way you never have before. Fake your breath, fake warmth in your body, occasionally but things you do not need any more. Do these things while staying focus on your true objectives."

He looked at Erica's arm and his features softened slightly. "It will heal in a few days. I apologize. It is difficult to describe the beast without actually showing it. We Elders often forget to value what is around us, even the pain and suffering of others."

He scanned the books around him, as if looking for one. "As to dominate, it is no less immoral than any other, it all depends on its usage. It is good that you shun it though, but you do so for the wrong reason. The disciplines we possess are tools. A talented kindred can go decades without ever needing use one, but all kindred must rely on them from time to time. When the masquerade falls temporarily, when a rival no longer fights you using politics and intrigue, when you make a mistake, it is the disciplines that will decide whether we survive or meet final death. There is no shame for oyu to use your ability to dominate at this point. Learn its limits, learn its uses. As you grow older it will become less and less necessary, though as you grow older so too will the power of your enemies, and the tactics they will employ to destroy you so never grow relaxed in your study and refinement of them."

He clapped his hands twice, loud, and another ifgure entered in. This time it was Melanie Forrest. "Is it time to begin?"

"It is Melanie."

Faruq's sire smiled. "Are you ready Erica?" She did not clarify what.

Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Perception + Empathy

Quenton smiled. "Looks like I'll be out my favorite ghoul for a week or two."

Chase nodded to Rick. "Yeah, old Benny. Doesn't surprise me your on the case. And yeah, we better see Venice."

"No, I think we should see Venice, Chase. Why don't you get things ready for Rick."

"...As you say."

Chase left prompty, and Quenton gave a reassuring pat on Rick's shoulder. Venice doesn't like Chase too much. The more socially skilled you are, the less she likes you. So... let's hope she hates you, right buddy?" Quenton laughed.

They travelled down two more floors on the way. Rick was beginning to see that it was a maze the further down they went, and that the wall were starting to look more natural, like a cave system. However, the room they entered was anything but. Stark white, smelling of sterilility, much like a hospital but more defined. Venice herself was a very narrow faced woman. Proably embraced in her late thirties, she already had grey highlights. Her face had pale and yellowish tint to it from long hours indoor. She was wearing industrial goggles as she fiddled with a few chemical mixtures. All around them were rat cages, most empty.

"Make it quick, Quenton, I'm in the middle of another experiment."

"You always are, Venice. Venice, this is Rick, he was a private investigator. He'll try to learn the Elemental Path in due time. Rick, this is Venice. She's studying biothaumaturgy. It wasn't one of your choices, since we already have a kindred who's near mastery."

"Pleasure." Venice hadn't even looked at Rick.

Danielle

Gregor's fists loosened up, and his fingers became relaxed. "See Flat Face, this is why the Caitiff endure. They're polite."

Flat Face scoffed. "It's why they'll never amount to much either."

"It is so." He leaned over to get a better looked at Danielle. He smelled like a bucket of raw fish. Even his eyes, now that she could see them seem closer to that of a trout than of a man's. "My advice is to survive. Do not get involved in kindred politics or scheming. It brings only misery, and death." He took a good long smell of her. "You have not killed yet? Pity. The first time is always the most challenging. If you are with this bastard, that time will come soon." He turned around. "And do not come here again. Even I know of what hunts you."

Claire

She could tell there was something off about him. She could also tell there was something predatory about him too, but in a vastly different way than Rogan.

"Oh, come now lassy, it would be so much more fun if ye screamed. Then again, I guess Rogan wouldn't pick a weak one, eh? And oh no, I'm no kindred. I breath fresh air, I can feel the warm sun on me face. I can still climax from a woman's touch. Oh, didn't know that yet? I found out that little tidbit from ye dead folk from a particular drunk and mouthy ghoul a couple years back. Makes me understand why ye kind get so off on power and politics."

He stepped closer. "Here's the thing, girl. I happen to like Havensworth. It's my home, and your kind are a bunch of blood sucking leeches. I seen what they've done to other cities, and it's not going to fly here. Problem is, there's so many of ye now I can't deal with all of ye, but luckily the Prince don't want to lose half his subjects on little ol' me. So we made an agreement some years back. One of the agreements was the university's off grounds. The best and the brightest come here, they make my city better. They give it hope and life and creativity. It's also a cesspool of drugs, alcohol, and sex, the perfect combination for you leeches."

He looked her over. "Oh, I see. You were a student here." His accent lessened. "So surely you're here to grab your old things and leave. Oh, a thousands pardons miss." He moved lightning quick, and leaning over, gave her a perfect gentleman's kiss on her hand, holding it gently, but confidently. "Or... did you plan to feed here, and I'll have to make you pay the toll after all?" His voice was no longer friendly. He stared straight through her.

Faruq

Flockton shook Faruq's hand, pumping tiwce, and letting go. "Fine. But you're still an idiot. First, quit contradicting yourself. Don't say you won't underestimate them, and then call them idiots. They're not." Flockton began looking through his ledgers, looking for mistakes, working as he spoke to Faruq. "They acted perfectly reasonably in the context of kindred culture, and in the context of the situation. You were weaker, you were disrespectful, many have died for less than what you said. You're lucky the Prince was a Nosferatu. They're used to insults, and I don't think I need to tell you why. If it was Josef in that chair, you would have been staked and left for the sun. If it had been Henry, you would have been gagged, blindfolded, and taken to the chantry never to be seen again."

He pointed an accusing finger at Faruq. "Respect, Faruq. That's what kindred seek above all else. I guess you're already one of us in that regard. Pissing at every kindred you meet is only going to get you killed quickly. The Ventrue aren't one of the more martial clans by blood. They can learn all right, but their disciplines, or tricks as you call them, are more about getting others to do their dirty work. How's that American saying go? You get more bees with sugar than vinegar? You better find those kindred you can tolerate and make nice. I'd avoid the Ventrue for awhile, all four of them."

Flockton cursed, loudly, as he found an error in the books. He took out a red pen and began marking. "And yeah, Clan Assamite is an Independent Clan. We hold control from Palestine to parts of Pakistan. Unfortunately, last night was a good reenctment of our Clan as a whole. The Camarilla beat us. The Tremere put a curse on our entire Clan, robbing us of our best weapon. Doesn't matter. We're one Clan, they're seven."

He paused ofr a few seconds, as the last numbers fell into place, his mood improved, as he edited the correct numbers in. "You want to do right by Clan Assmite? Wait. If you try to wage war right now you will die. I may be the one to kill you too, to keep the blame from falling on me. No use for both of us to die. No, you're going to get accepted by the Camarilla. Not all of them, but enough of them. You're also going to build your powerbase, preferably where other kindred don't have their fingers in already. When Ahmad took had Weinman assassinated, he stayed in Scotland. When the deed was done, he stayed silent. Humility and strength, Faruq, humility and strength. You need both.

"What else?" He looked at Faruq again.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-09-10 at 06:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

Claire kept carefully still as the "cop" grabbed her hand. Damn it all, why did all these dark creepies have to go for the physical intimidation. Of course because it was effective no doubt, with violence undoubtedly the "toll" he'd charge. There was no doubt Harry here was dangerous, but different. He would have liked it if she screamed would he, a sadist then. There was that arrogance too, perhaps she could use that. She was not about to simply leave.

"Well it seems I owe you some thanks," Claire said withdrawing her hand, "I have quite a bit of affection for this school as well. I rather agree that what happened to me need not happen here either. I wasn't planning on packing my bags just yet. I'm not just a student but a graduate student. I dare say the doctorate I've got almost completed is exactly what this instituition is there to encourage. So I wasn't planning on flushing years of work down the drain. And such things do reflect badly on the College when promising students don't complete their work."

"It seems to me though our goals needn't be so mutually exclusive. I've no interest in usurping your claim as it were, I'd simply like to complete certain existing commitments and pay back the university for its service to me by advancing my field. I'm sure one who see value in the university as an institution can see that. I of course would do nothing by night I'd not have done by day."

Spoiler
    Show
    Love to convince Harry without rolls but let me know if an Manip+Empathy/Expression/Subterfuge or the like roll would help let me know.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    She nodded quietly, absorbing everything Josef said, attempting to internalize it as best she could. He had plans for her, he spoke of her aging and growing, and it seemed he had her best interests at heart, or at the very least wanted to see her grow into her own. She could not have asked for more from any new boss.

Erica smiled when she saw Melanie enter the room.

"I suppose there's only one way to find out," Erica replied.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-09-10 at 08:50 AM.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

"Oh, what? What is the matter with the phone, now? A gateway to hell opens if you make long-distance calls? The receiver is coated in poison? What?" Amy huffs, but doesn't pursue the issue. Leaving the flats sounds like an appealing perspective, actually. "Alright, nevermind. I'll be there in a minute, Mike."

She goes looking for a shower.The apartment has one, very basic, like all the rest, but clean enough. Only shower gel, she notices, no shampoo. Oh, well, she thinks as she scrubs herself, not like she has that much hair to wash left. She pats herself dry with a towel, wrinkling her nose at her not-exactly-clean clothes. It will have to do for now, she guesses. I can ask Mike to bring me home to pack a change of clothes. I have to go there anyway. No way she's leaving her computer back.

She meets Mike at the front door less than ten minutes later. "I'm ready. Where did you want to bring me?" She suddenly realises something funny and chuckles "I guess you still owe me a date where you don't kill me at the end, right?'

20. - Top - End - #290

DrowGuy

Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+ Empathy (4d10)[6][6][10][7](29)
    Given my specialty in perception, I think the 10 counts for two successes, woohoo.

As Chase leaves, Rick follows Quenton.

"Thanks for letting me have her for awhile. I'll try to wrap this case up as soon as possible. As for Venice, we may get along just fine. Never been one for small talk."

He heads down the maze like path, taking note of his surroundings as best as he's able, just in case he ever needs to repeat this path. When he encounters Venice, his first thought is surprise. Venice seems almost more like a scientist then a magician. Tremere appeared to be a diverse clan.

"Good to meet you as well. I'm the new guy around here, so if you ever need anything, I'm sure I'll be roped into helping you." He says, only half joking.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-09-10 at 03:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She looked at the man, and became very glad that she did not need to breath and that the normal responses from a body could be overcome, the man was physically revolting ... but then as she had guessed reasonable enough as a person in the end.
    Don't judge by appearances seemed to be a corner stone of life now.

She nodded her head in thanks at his words, "I plan to avoid killing for as long as possible. But thanks for setting expectations", she had felt that Amy was likely wrong about not killing last night and this night was simply confirming that.

"I will try not to bring you my problems", she would have said I won't bring you my problems but it would be a lie if things went bad, his first advice had been to survive after all, and if it was a choice to make well she would choose to follow it first.

She looked at Flat Face, "Assuming that we are leaving, what is next for tonight?", thinking about meeting her mother "and could I have the time please".

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and roll for this one. Manipulation + Performance or Charisma + Empathy depending on whether she's truly meaning her words or not. I'll post a little but save his decision for after the roll.

"Now there's a smart talking lass. Didn't know the dead had any need to get a doctorate. What are ye studying girl?"

Erica

Melanie's smile grew. She removed her business jacket, and moved to a formal fighting stance. "Twice a week, I'm to give you self defense lessons. Josef would do so himself, but he sometimes has trouble measuring his limits."

Josef nodded in agreement. "As I said, when one gets to a certain age, it is easy to lose focus. If you will excuse me."

Melanie stepped around Erica. "No doubt Josef has already given you the talk about how a true kindred doesn't have to use her disciplines, or fight herself, they can get others to do it for them. However, when Faruq's ancestor decided to cash in on an old vendetta, two of us survived out of six. Josef survived because he happened to have a great deal of foresight on what disciplines to gain. I survived..." She grabbed a ball point pen on the table, clutching it like a weapon, "... because I was willing to fight for it, tooth and nail. You'll learn three things Erica. The first is to withstand pain. The second is to learn formal techniques. The last is to learn that all that matters in the end is to win, whatever the cost." Erica could tell that Melanie prided herself mostly on the last, but was most eager to teach the first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time to roll dodge or brawl + dexterity

Amy

Mike chuckles as well. "I was thinking the Ruins." Amy knew the name. In the heart of the Russian district, it was a notorious place for drugs and violence.

The drive was quick, though Amy saw a lot. The windows were tinted, but as they drove, Mike gave her tips on obfuscate.

"Look within Evaz. You got to disappear. The first use of it is to blend into the shadows, unmoving. Become one with the darkness around you. Everyone has their own way to tap into the power, find yours."

He had his face on again. Amy had a hoodie and large pair of sunglasses. It was still plain to see that she wasn't right looking, but it covering most of the details.

"Don't worry, once we get inside the back, appearances won't matter."

As she looked out the window, she saw the worst of Havensworth. It was the lawless part of the city, and it showed. They arrived at the Ruins on a wealthy strip, and Mike drove around to the back, passing a few security guards who paid him little heed.

"I'll show you some of the people I work with."

Rick

Rick can tell there was something about the two when he announced that Chase would help him with his case, but can't put his finger on it. It lasted only for a moment, and then was gone. However, he knew that he had stepped into somewhere complicated.

Quenton seemed all smile and charm though on the way to see Venice.

When Rick spoke, Quenton chuckled and shook his head.

"Oh?" Venice looked at Rick. "Good, I could always use raw materials. It's difficult to find kindred parts. Most seemed to want to keep their appendages for some reason." Venice lifted a rat out of it cage. It's screech was horrible as she dropped it into a plastic bowl. "Anytime you decide to give up on undeath, be sure to come to me first. Waiting for dawn is such a waste."

Quenton shrugged. "Yeah, that's our Venice. You should probably get going."

Danielle

Flat Face looked at his fancy new watch. "It's 8:30." He scratched his head. "I was going to take you to see Desmund, but I can't seem to get a hold of him. Pretty boy. Smart too. Too bad he's one of your lot." He shrugged. "There is the other one though... say, want to meet a couple of anarchs?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

He seemed to be buying it. For the moment anyways. That hadn't exactly been dishonest, she did have some affection for HC and she'd been here too long to not consider it home. But grateful that a man who'd have more fun if she screamed had been out there "protecting" it, not hardly. He had exactly zero need to know that though, especially if she was going to be able to preserve anything of what she'd built here. She wasn't ready to let go of it.

"Computer science," Claire said, clearly he was judging the worth of her words, "Not the oldest field for sure, I understand Professor Douglas pretty much founded the whole department a few decades back. But good for Heavensworth, it may not be philosophy or mathematics but that means the college doesn't have to deal with ancient bloodsucking busybodies concerned about two hundred years of pride. I'm talking about Ivy league academia there by the way."

She finished with a smile, a girl with a smile in the right place could go far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manip+Performance: (4d10)[4][5][10][2](21)

Also like to expend 1 Willpower to improve the result. Someone with an Architect nature should go to the line to protect her projects I think.

24. - Top - End - #294

DrowGuy

Rick

Rick files away the tension between Chase and Quenton for a later time.
    Maybe he could ask Chase about it, assuming he phrased it as more of an innocent inquiry then an accusation.

Learning that he most definitely did not want to be roped into helping Venice, Rick takes the opportunity Quenton has given him. "...Right. Tempting as that offer is, I'll take my chances with undeath if that's alright with you. In any event, duty calls." He turns to Quenton. "I'll be in touch."

The detective slips out of the room, the rat's screams still haunting him. The less time he had to spend around Venice, the better.

If there's nothing else that catches his eye, he'll rendezvous with Chase and head out.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Erica nods and smiles again.

"Wow, it's like you read my mind," she says, placing her planner on a table and kicking off her shoes, "one of the things I resolved to do last night was take self-defense classes."

"Learning from you, I don't have to worry about revealing myself," she continued, "I'll do my best not to disappoint."
    Spoiler
    Show
    1,9,4 on dex+dodge
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-09-11 at 02:49 AM.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

Faruq

One thing Faruq respected about Flockton was the latter's firm handshake, and rising to the occasion he sought to meet it with one of his own, a smile blooming on his features instead of the manic grin of determination that had occured so often throughout these last two days. "Alright. I think that I can do that. Play it cool and watch the opportunities. Works for me, and don't you worry about anything, now that I know what I'm dealing with... kind of... I reckon things will be easier from here on out. Thank you, Charles. Really." The respectful bow he performed along with that was the first genuine one of its kind in too long. He considered the last question, now quite besides himself with relief that at least he would still be welcome here, and found that he still had questions left. Was there something else? A lot of things, in fact. "But come to think of it... and seeing how I'm gonna go all infiltrator on them now... there are some things I really have no idea how to ask about. I've been writing some things down on the drive home the other night, and there is something like an idea coming along, but I think I'll stick to the basics first... Anything in particular I should do when I'm over there again? Or rather, that you'd advise me to do? Any inside men or contacts I should know about?" And then, there was still another matter: "And what was that greatest weapon that you've been mentionin'? Just outta curiosity, so I know in case it comes up or anything." A short pause, considering everything. "Other than that though, I'd say that that's it for now. But if you don't mind, I'll get back to you when there's something else, alright?"
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-09-11 at 08:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

The Ruins. One thing has to be said about Mike, the man has a strange concept of "date". Amy sniggers to herself, but returns serious as soon as Mike begins explaining Blend into the shadows...right. Shouldn't be -that- difficult to do. As a previous average-looking, minimum-wage grunt, Amy has got more than a bit of first-hand experience on what it means to pass unobserved. Not volountarily, maybe, but maybe she can tap into that memory and put that to use. She endeavours to try as soon as she can.

"The people you work with. I guess that means you're not into 'land acquisition' really, aren't you?" she can't really say she's shocked."What is that you do, exactly?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-09-11 at 09:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

"One of my lot ... " then she got it, "ah another caitiff" considering for a second and another one after that "how many of us are there, just three?", she had kindof assumed that they were few in number but then with only thirty or so vampires around that could mean anything, three gave them about 10% of the population which was not to low at all.

But then she heard anarchs, likely anarchists and they were always so annoying all mighty causes and no focus or goal for after the cause was done ... not that she knew much about them baring some news articles and that song about England.

She looked at Flat Face suspiciously "you likely have a better handle that I do on if I want to meet them, so what do you think?".
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-09-11 at 02:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

The detective took a step back. "All right, I'll give ye a chance. Play with that magic box for just a wee bit longer." His smile broadened, and Chase could see he wasn't human. His smile was too big, his teeth were flat, but looked more dangerous that a loaded shotgun. "Remember though, I warned ye, and gave ye a chance to walk away. If even one body drained o' blood pops up around here, Mr. Rogan'll be looking for a pile o' ash." His mouth returned to normal. "Now do Harry a good ol' favor and give a little shake to yer step as ye go on yer way."

Rick

The chantry is the sort of place with hundreds of hidden treasures, but they were just that, hidden. On his way out, he only saw doors and pathways, any stranger to the Tremere would have to do a lot of guesswork when trying to figure out which places were important and not.

Outside, he felt better. The cool breeze made him feel a little alive again compared to the stifling place below.

Chase was waited in a jeep. How many cars did they have at their disposal? "All right, let's get moving, sheriff." She teased Rick's lawful nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Either you can talk to her on the way there, or we can skip to the next scene.

Erica

"I can't read minds. Only auras." Erica's world spun as she heard her own neck crack back. "Originally I was going to train you and Faruq at the same time. However, since he seems intent to make a mockery of himself and those around him, I suppose I'll have to enjoy our girl time." The floor slipped from under Erica and she fell on her back. Had Melanie tripped her?

"The first lesson is pain. Once you can retain clarity even when being attacked, we'll move onto how you can properly defend yourself." She walked over to the phone. "Yes? We'll need some blood for Erica. Yes, lots of it." She hung up, and turned back. "Now heal your bruises, and we'll begin again."

Melanie was different than Josef. Whereas Josef seemed to treat his superiority with indifference and even mild irritation, Melanie took a lot more pleasure in her superiority.

Faruq

Flockton sighed, though not as deeply this time. "You are not playing infiltrator Faruq, or spy, or assassin. You're simply being a kindred. Play the politics, increase your standing. Strike at an enemy if there is an opportunity, though realize more than one Elder has a habit of feigning weakness in order to draw out his enemies. It's what kindred do, all of them. There's nothing special about it, this is not some special mission. If you walk up to them thinking how you're pulling a fast one over them, they will eventually catch on. Simply be kindred, and save the dramatic James Bond crap."

He gave Faruq a very serious look at his question. "Diablerie." For a brief moment, Faruq could feel his blood turn to ice. "No doubt you're heard about generation, no? Jean du Noir is of the seventh generation. Josef Kirsch is of the eighth. I'm of the tenth. You're of the thirteenth. The closer to the first generation you are, the more benefits you can get. Being able to hold more blood. Being able to the blood more quickly. Certain tricks don't work unless you're an equal of higher generation. Once you get to seventh, that's when you can start truly being powerful.

"There's a loophole though. Drain the blood of another kindred, and then drain a little more. Most think it's stealing the very soul of your prey. Should you do this to another kindred of a more powerful generation, your own will lower. Whereas most Clans have forbidden its practice, Clan Assamite does not, at least when it comes to outsiders. However, a few hundred years ago, Clan Tremere levied a curse against us, keeping us from being able to drink the blood of another kindred." He put a firm hand on Faruq's shoulder. "Do not commit diablerie, Faruq. There are ways, easy ways, to see if a kindred has committed it or not. You will be found out, and you will be destroyed."

Amy

Mike looked over to her. "Hm? Oh no, I am into land acquisition. Real estate, rennovation. Right now I'm dealing with a territory dispute between the Russians and the skinheads." The two of them entered a doorway, between two men who looked all muscle and no heart. It was dark inside, and Amy could smell something sweet in the air, probably some sort of drug she wasn't familiar with. They walked up a flight of stairs and past another man, this one much smaller, but holding onto an assault rifle.

Inside the was a red glow to the room. A score of Russian gangsters, and half that number of skinheads sat in silence, their eyes turning to Mike and Amy. Mike waved pleasantly. "Hey everyone. Ready to start?"

Danielle

"Probably a thousand of you running around by now." Flat Face shook his head in disgust. "But yeah, three of you in Havensworth."

He stepped into the truck. "Tell the truth, talking to those two is probably a bad idea. So let's go." He smiled.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

It worked. For now. Claire didn't let her smile waver as that mouth opened much too wide. Inside though she was shaking. Just what on Earth was this monster? Still after the twisted and terrible things she'd seen and done last night, it was somewhat more bearable.

"Just make sure you keep up the good work so if that happens you know its me," Claire said confidently favoring the monster with a wink.

With that she sauntered past, letting her hips sway a touch from side to side. If her jeans were as tight an uncomfortable as they felt that should satisfy the pig's wants.

Once decent past Harry and barring further interruptions Claire finally made her way to her apartment.