New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Faruq

'A few heads to crack. Excuse me.' Charles, I may not share your tastes, but I sure like your style. And if you say it couldn't hurt, then that's what I will do. "Of course, hope all works out, and see you later," he belatedly excused his senior colleague just in time before losing himself on yet another of his trails of thought - there was no time for idle musings now, an opportunity was waiting, after all! Standing up, he turned towards Sasha again: "And I would say it is. I take it we'll depart right now?"
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-09-25 at 06:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

Claire had selected a set of khaki colored capris and simple blouse to wear. Basic black shoes, not sneakers but she knew she could walk or even run in them. Stuff she'd worn everywhere in the past. It wasn't like it mattered, they were all confining and rather silly when you stopped to think about it. She could still evaluate clothing on an intellectual level though. From what she had seen of Rogan though he seemed an active sort not a socialite and she had hedged her bets accordingly. Looking at the outfits he brought she was a little surprised pulling out a rather sheer little black dress.

"I must admit some surprise here," she said giving the dress and him a tiny smirk, "I was bracing myself a little for cornering people in alleyways. Though I suspect I might like this a little better."

Looking briefly at the other options Claire judged her first grab was the best fit. She wasn't familiar with the brand in particular but the sizing was within her normal range. Claire began removing what she had on. She continued talking at the same time.

"So our kind stick to the cities then? I guess that makes sense with population density. What else is out there. I had a run in with a Irish... thing... outside my apartment, dressed like a cop but wasn't human and didn't like us. More little vicious leprechauns like him out there?"

Stepping into the dress she pulled it on. A little tighter then the ones she wore and short, it clung a bit at her hips and not just that omnipresent feeling of constriction. She gave a little pose for Rogan inspection as if to say, how do I look?
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-25 at 07:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Erica

"I am one of those ghouls." There was a strong looks in his eyes, and Erica could tell he was envious of her. "But my time will come later. Josef needed you as a kindred now, my time will come when he's ready. I'm immortal too now, and can wait."

Her second question didn't seem to bring out a brighter side of him either. "I don't speak with my family any more to be honest. My father was a minister back in New York. Believes I work for the devil." He shrugged his shoulders. "Told him he was right, and that's the last time we spoke."

Claire

Rogan. "Irish...?" His eyes glimmered in understanding. "That sick, demented bastard." A cruel sneer distorted Rogan's usually handsome face "Avoid Harry at all costs. He's one of the fey, a parasite that latches itself onto normal people. Avoid him. I'll have a word with him later."

He calmed himself, and focused on Claire's other words. "Clan Gangrel of all clans is most able to survive in the wilds but it is still a perilous place. Werewolves are own main adversaries out there. They call us 'Wyrm creatures' whatever that means. They are savage things that can take the form of man, wolf, and monster at whim, not on the full moon as many think. My sire was slain by a pack of them long ago. It was a short, bloody affair." He looked up to the night sky, cloudy. "At one point most of our Clan did live out in the rural places, but there are fewer of us each year who do so. Some disappear, and others take the hint and move to the cities. I have no desire to venture out and expose myself to the elements, not when I do not even know what waits for me."

He looked at Claire and smiled. "Cornering people in alleys is fun, but the first way of hunting I'll show you is painfully simple. You should have no troubles. Shall we go?" He stepped closer to her, and she felt his spirit and her call to each other again.

Faruq

“No delay at all good sir. If you would follow me.” With catlike speed she was at his side, wrapping her arm around his, leaning close to him as if they were intimate, earning him some envious looks from Flockton’s men.

“Quit looking at the whore and get back to work. We’re two days behind!”

Flockton’s barking drifted away as they got outside. Sasha’s car was easy to spot. A lipstick red Firebird. At closer look, he could see feint pinkish swirls detailing the car, details best seen in daylight.

“You can drive if you want.” He teased him.

Rick

Chase looked at the letter. “Honestly I can’t say I spent too much time with him, but the handwriting looks about right. Maybe he hated kindred after all. He was moved from place to place after all.” She knelt down, looking at the chalk line with a showing of empathy on her face as if it was his body there. She gave a deep sigh. “Hell of a way to go.” She glanced up at Rick. “What’s the plan?”

Amy

Mike shook his head in frustration. His good looks faded away leaving the monster exposed. “It’s complicated Evaz. Everything’s complicated, it’s always complicated. You know what? I’d like to put a few bullets in that Russian’s ****ing head, and for once feel like I’m doing humanity a bit of good. The thing is I can’t. I can’t fight worth a damn, and even if I could Yuri Votslav is probably the most protected man in the city. If the Prince wanted Yuri dead, he could do it, but it’d upset the power balance. A war with Yuri would cost us most of our servants and ghouls, and maybe even a couple of our own. It would fracture the underground and lead to a huge power grab by kine and kindred alike. And you know what, Jean du Noir is not that decent of a kindred, better than most elders sure, but he’s no humanitarian and he’s not going to put a mark on Yuri, especially when it would cost him.”

Mike punched the dashboard, leaving a large crack in it. “And Yuri is a goddamned ruthless animal who doesn’t live in decent society. If he starts talking about vampires in the night, no one’s going to listen. Hell, you saw it, didn’t you? Even most of his own men save one left the room before he started mocking us. He can’t blow the lid on our secret even if he wanted to. That low grade reporter? I talked to Slick and turned out she thought she had landed the story of a lifetime. She was a respected member of society attached to an institution that reports to the world. Yeah, we probably could have blocked it, but every time we use our connections to stop an emergency, the weaker the façade becomes, and when Flat Face is the one around to clean up the mess, he’s going to go for the easy route.”

Mike pulled to the side, his hands shaking. “So the truth? We can deal with the scum of society because that’s what we are. We start interacting with decent people, and they get hurt. Slick wanted to show off his work, show the city a different take on what we call beautiful. What did he get for it? Blood on his hands.”

Danielle

Y looked sheepish, and sat back down. Felix gave a snort that Danielle couldn’t tell was in approval or not. “You’ll have to forgive him,” said Felix, “he has an attachment to strays, and Billy was exactly that.”

“If only he had stuck with us, this wouldn’t have happened.”

Felix shrugged his shoulders. “But he didn’t, and it did.” He looked at Danielle. “I’m not going to sugarcoat things for you, you got dealt King high when most kindred at least have a pair. These kindred are a racist with their own as white person complaining about Spanish language signs. They also have this crazy Armageddon religion about how the world’s going to end. The Clanless are supposedly one of the signs of the end times.”

“Damn right we do, and you lot are going to crap on everything.” Flat Face didn’t seem really serious about his comment, more so he enjoyed the insult.

“They fear us. They fear us because unlike kindred with a Clan, they can’t even begin to guess which disciplines we have. They fear us cause of some dusty old books written by other racists long since given a rightful final death. They fear us cause they treat us like vermin and know we want to pay them back in kind. They don’t know any other way to treat us though. Mix of pride, tradition, culture, and that so many kindred are *******s.”

“You see Danielle, I can put up with that one cause he’s a honest Caitiff. He ain’t apologizing for what he is, but he ain’t like some of ‘em like Billy or Desmund with their thoughts that they’re one of the rest of us.”

Felix frowned at Flat Face’s conclusion. “So you were embraced last night Danielle? You at the stage where it still doesn’t seem real, or the part where you’re ready to tear apart anything with fangs just to give a little payback.” Felix seemed the kind to mix a dark sense of humor with sympathy.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Erica sighed, then nodded.

"I see," she said, "sorry to hear that you've lost touch."
    She chewed her lip for a brief moment before catching herself.
    "It's just that I have no idea what I'm going to tell my parents.." she said, then signed again and shook her head.

Get it together, this isn't a therapy session!

"Forget it, I'll figure it out later," she said, "Are you involved in the investment arm, or Melanie? When do I start, and who am I going to be working with?"

Erica fired off her questions now with the precision of a well trained gunner, once again scribbling madly as Byron answered her queries.

"How long do I have to clear out my apartment and find a place to stay in Havensworth, and is there anyone we know who can assist? What's the best place to find bl.." she flipped a page, "vitae, on my own, since I think Mr. Kirsch said I'd need to fend for myself at some point."

Once all her questions were answered, Erica closed her planner and smiled.

"Thank you Byron, I can see why Mr. Kirsch favors you," she said, brushing her hair behind one ear.
    "I'll do my best to turn things around at the company; the sooner that happens and we recover from recent events, the sooner we'll all get what we want," she added.

"Is there anything else I should know?" she asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-10-01 at 10:49 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick

Rick keeps his thoughts to himself, but he's starting to wonder if maybe Benny had been forced to do something that caused him to rebel against his so called masters. Maybe one of them had chosen to silence him in that most effective of ways.

He looks down at the letter again, frowning He might have been a nobody, but damn it if Rick hadn't gotten into law enforcement to try and help people like Benny. He shared Chase's empathy for the man he had never met.

"The plan is we try and find Cavet. He might know something, and even if he doesn't it he's still our most likely suspect for now. It will help to rule him out. You said he frequents a bar near the docks?"

If Chase has no objection, Rick heads there.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-02 at 12:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

"That pig is a... fairy?" Claire felt her mouth open and closed it. She'd had a couple of fairy dolls as a little girl, cute enough though she'd played with them more like GI Joes. Probably still in that box in her closest. Even knowing she shouldn't be shocked the disparity was ridiculous. As her mind caught up to the rest of what Rogan had said. "Wait don't talk to him! My place was too close for the college for him and he tried to scare me out. But I sweet talked him out of it. He gets the idea I went running for help and I'd bet money he's going to take that permission right back. I need that apartment and college access for a few months at least. I don't need this fairy to start thinking and realize I manipulated him."

As Rogan went on Claire listened about, werewolves. It seemed assuming every legend had some truth was a good idea. But why did they hate vampires? And worms, what did worms have to do with anything? They sounded even worse then Harry if they'd killed Rogan's own sire. Still they couldn't be all that common for people to not know about them. Same as fairies, or vampires. She truly had to wonder just what else was out there. Best to start boning up on old legends. If she got there early enough tomorrow night the college library should still be open. Tonight though promised to be a little busy.

As Rogan stepped close Claire felt, well not her heart flutter but something like it. She smiled back at Rogan and felt absurdly embarrassed. Well she had just admitted she'd manipulated a man for her own ends. Was that it? She'd done it before, but she didn't want to with Rogan. It just didn't see like it would work. This wasn't a boy that needed that extra push to get over the idea the shock a pretty girl wanted to have fun night with him without all the hangups. Rogan was a man and more, she felt almost out of her league, but wanted him to like her anyways. Like her for her, not the games men and an women played with each other.

"Y'know Harry is a pig, and pigs are easy to manipulate... but you're different. I just want to let you know that," Claire said in a voice that faltered, sure that if it was able she'd be blushing red, "Umm... let's go."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy doesn't answer immediately, taking a bit of time to process what he said. At least he's acknowledging that the blood isn't just on Flat Face's hands, but also on Slick's.

She puts an hand on Mike's hand when she sees him shaking, and the other on his shoulder, in something that could resemble an hug if it weren't for the fact that she is still buckled to the seat... and that hugging him properly still feels too weird under the circumstances. "Alright" she says finally, in a low voice "Alright, I see how it is" I don't agree, but I see it.

She doesn't move or says anything else for a little while, giving him time to calm down, then tries to make a joke out of it. "You really can't do a proper date to save your life, can you, Mike? First one you kill me, second one you make me deal with a crime boss. I don't know why I keep going out with you" She smiles at him "How about you teach me how to disguise myself, and show me some of those good things you were telling me about yesterday?" She would forego the disguise part, to tell the truth - Creepy - but she doesn't want to end up in the same situation as Slick.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-10-02 at 12:57 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #338
    Banned

Faruq

This seemed to go a little too fast. "Er... certainly. Right behind you." Too smoothly, too. But then, he would likely be thinking that a lot from here on out, and have to get used to at least some sense of paranoia in his dealings with the vampires of Havensworth. Her arm on his felt nice, for all the reasons that a pretty woman's body somewhere near one's own feels nice, but he found himself paying close attention to things like whether she was breathing, whether she felt warm, and whether any sort of pulse could be made out, which sure did its share to hamper any such impressions to a bothersome degree. Faruq, rather suddenly, became aware of the fact that his heart was still showing activity, and that until he had thought about it just there, even such things as blinking and breathing had worked more or less like they had before. Or, well, I think they did. Something about that seemed off, somehow. Not the thing with the blinking and breathing, especially, those would likely resume once he would be distracted by something else... but that he still exhibited such functions in and of itself. Oh, nevermind, might come in handy later on.

On the way outside, he briefly thought about whether he should have tried that thing that had almost happened the night before, only to give the men some sort of uplifting one-liner that would carry - after all was said and done, the Briton could be quite the devil of a boss, and few could have empathised quite as well as Faruq - but he decided to not meddle now. All the more since being two days behind - On what, actually? - certainly justified some annoyance on Flockton's part. He ultimately went with a quiet thumbs-up in the general direction of the working staff while leaving the building, and caught himself straining to listen to his superior's distant barks.

As for the car itself, however... He, Faruq, couldn't drive, as such, and betraying such a flaw in front of someone else would surely be hell on whatever impression they had on him. But then she had just said she'd let him, which was no small thing... Could be a trick, could be for real, and that paintjob there sure looks nice. So some more diplomacy, then, "knowing" smirk, voice sounding honest, calm and all: "Oh, thanks, and trust me, I would love to, but I'd be just... about inconsolable were I to get a scratch on it. Not really used to American streets, you see?" Lame excuse, even he himself did notice that. But it would spare him any potential embarassment, and provided things working out for once, he would likely have opportunity at a later date. Not like waiting for that would be hard, or anything. Crud. Gloss-over needed -quick-. "Say though... nice color. Where'd you get it done like that?"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

Sasha didn't seem to miss a step, as she turned towards the driver's side. "Oh you like it? I had it custom made by a nice pair of Mexicans. I swear I don't understand this movement against them, those people are so hard working." She giggled mercilessly.

As soon as Faruq was in, they were off, she was playing Mozart as loud as some of his friends played rap. He couldn't speak to her even if he tried. Sasha was an aggressive driver, but not overtly so, no hint of road rage.

They parked in front of an industrial looking building. Faruq noticed one of the other harpies, the short haired woman, walk out with a very attrative caucasian man holding a professional camera.There was some blood around his collar. They were in their own car and off before Sasha parked.

"This way." The walked up the few steps and entered a room that was completely white, not a single feature, until Faruq took a second step. The world became dizzy as an array of blackk filled his vision. The room was an optical illusion, made to look barren to those who first walked in.

Amy

Mike nodded. "And yeah, one of these days you're going to have to let me rescue you, and be a shoulder for you to lean on." He attempted to jest in return, mostly at his own expense. "All right, I'll take you to one of the safehouses."

The safehouse was a mostly barren warehouse that looked out of use for a few years. Random broken machines scattered the place, Mike explaining that making it look like there were industrial hazards kept most the homeless people away.

"All right, find a shadow Evaz, one that seems to call for you, or failing that, one with an interesting shape."

Rick

"Yeah, the Dead Man's Wharf."

-

The place was as sahdy a place as things got in Havensworth. A few sailors, a few drug dealers, a pimp. In the corner there was a dark haired woman in an ash colored suit, sitting with her back turned to them, opposite of her an overwieght man in a suit looking nervous at his surroundings. The bartender had a shaved head, scars across his arms, and was over six foot six, eyeing Rick closely.

"That's Cavet over there." Chase pointed out one of the drug dealers. Cavet was attractive man with slicked back hair, and glasss, though Rick's time on the force pointed him out easily as someone who dealt, from the way he held himself up, to way Cavet's clothes were just a little too casual.

Erica

"Melanie generally does the more aggressive business deals. Takeovers and such. As for me, I'm strictly Josef's personal assistant. I do the tasks he doesn't trust others with and either can't do, or won't do himself.

"Don't be in a rush to leave. You can stay as long as you need to. I think Josef expects you to stay at least a month. We have a few realty properties that would be best, ensure that they can accomodate your special needs as a kindred. Melanie or Jules will probably take you out hunting in the next week or so."

Byron only nodded at her compliments. To the last comment hesimply said, "Josef would not have embraced you otherwise."

Afterwards, Byron led her to Josef's office, a place she hadn't been before She noticed that the people working there seemed quite physically fit, though they were all deadened, seemingly walking as if on puppet strings. They arrived at the office, only for a African American man to push the door open and walk out. He seemed well groomed with hair nearly shaved, and as he looked at Erica, his eyes seemed to pierce into her.

Claire

"Yes, you're not the only one to make that statement." Rogan chuckled slightly. "And so be it, I'll let you handle it. "And no, don't seek to manipulate that one. He's like a shark. Stupid, brutal, and will eat anything in front of him, and I do mean the last one literally. Conduct your business at the university, then leave. Yes, the kindred of this city could kill him, but the body count would be too high for it to be worth it, maybe."

They went to one of the nicer nightclubs in town, a place called Glamour. It was a place where women went for free drinks, and men went to because that's where women were at. Rogan merely nodded to the bouncer who let them in without standing in line.

The music was loud, and lights came on and off. "This is our feeding ground of modern times. The kine consume drugs and alcohol, they fill the room with shadows and noise. Lust and temptation fill the room. There are alwasy eyes though, wandering eyes. Sit down with me." They found a table. "Now look, and mark your prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll + alertness or something you feel you can substitute alertness with. Feel free to pick your prey and what he or she looks like though.

10. - Top - End - #340

DrowGuy

Rick

Rick frowned when entering the bar. He had never been here, but he had seen enough dumps like this in Havensworth to know the scene. The same crowd frequented this place as a thousand others. After awhile they started to blend together.

As Chase points Cavet out, Rick looks the man over, careful not to dwell on him for too long. He looked like the typical scumbag. The force usually left his type alone, provided they greased a few palms. Maybe the Tremere were the same.

Seeing how the bartender was looking at him, Rick whispers to Chase. "You want to go and distract the bartender? Buy a drink, play up the lost tourist new in town and looking to see all the sights. In the meantime, I'm going to have a brief chat with our friend over there. "

He calmly walks over, sitting down across from Cavet. The former cop folds his hands in front of him.

"Mr. Cavet. We have a mutual acquaintance. Benny. You were supposed to meet with him last night, and shortly afterwards he turns up dead. You want to answer a few questions for me, alleviate the concerns the folks I work for have? Or am I going to have to tell my associates you've decided to be uncooperative?"

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She moved to the wall and leaned against it looking at the three of them.

"So a racist crazy cult, this gets better and better" she muttered under her breath scowling as Felix began, but the frown turned from upset to weary as he went on, he was speechifying trying to win her over to his side with an impassioned argument and a statement that in one way are another she would be better with his mindset ... possible true but she would decide for herself.

"Flat Face, I get the impression you might put up with anyone that doesn't get in your way, cause you problems, annoy you or is at the least some amusement for you ... and from last night I think Jean might be in some ways similar in that regard on what he will tolerate" looking at him "would that be fair?", likely one of the more important questions of the night as it would in theory sum up what she could get away with she noticed in hindsight after asking it.

Turning back to Felix, "I am not asleep, pretty sure on that one, real pain kind of props reality up", shrugging "as for violence ... yes I could enjoy that to burn off some frustration, but holding myself in check might be more important so I don't become a degenerate murderer ruining lives as I go through my lack of one", looking him in the eye she wondered how many people he had killed.

"As for this end of days stuff, well I wouldn't discount it any-more then I would vampires, demons and other horror movie stuff, not that I buy it without seeing it either", smiling slightly "they might have a point about us for all I know, I just don't really care providing they leave me well enough alone".

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Chase nods and walks over to the bartender, all grin. He doesn't hear what she says as he moves towards Cavet.

At first Cavet seems a bit alarmed by Rick, until he makes his threats. Then Cavet gets angry. "Hey, do I know you? No. I don't know you, or who you work for." He then smiles patronizingly at Rick, the kind of weasily, scumbag smile that a certain breed of people can have. He pushes Rick in the shoulder, not enough to shove him back, just enough to show he wasn't being playful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Self Control check: Let's say...difficulty 5. If successful feel free to roll for whatever else you'll do, as he's not playing along.

Danielle

Felix nods as Danielle speaks, weighing her words, and liking what he hears. Flat Face merely shrugs. "Yeah, I suppose that's about the case for me. Jean? Truth be told he uses your lot to scare kindred from other cities. We've had about a dozen Caitiff in the past ten years, and we usually fail to mention it when they meet final death. Brings down the retail value you could say, makes their greedy eyes look elsewhere." He starts laughing.

Felix takes the chance to speak again. "Not a bad start, Danielle, you seem to have the gist of it. Don't lose site of it otherwise you lose your humanity, and have to decide between becoming the beast or following an alternate path." He smiled genuinely. Felix was handsome, and he looked young at least. He shrugged and leaned back. "Just be yourself, no different than if you were human."

Flat Face was done laughing and scoffed at the last. "Yeah, be yourself, so long as you follow the rules. You done talking to the proud and mighty anarchs of Havensworth?"

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

"Alright, I'll hold you to that" She smiles to him and lets his hand go, but keeps the other one on his shoulder as he drives. He looks like he can still use the support.

She looks around in the warehouse. A shadow that seems to call to you. No such thing seems immediately evident. How does a shadow call to someone, anyway? There is, however, plenty of shadows with interesting shapes - the broken machinery provide a lot of sharp anges and strange contourns. She moves towards one, trying to put into practice what he said - that you have to find a way to disappear. Right she thinks I'm just the clerk behind the counter. I'm the one that you ignore right up to the end, when you're ready to pay and go about your business. I'm noone important. She takes a deep breath - the habit is difficult to break, it seems - and turns towards Mike with a raised eyebrow, as if to ask 'did it work?'
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-10-07 at 06:32 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"The blood Evaz. Focus on the blood. All of our disciplines focus around that. Just as you think with your head when doing a test, think with your heart when watching romantic movie, think with the blood flowing in your veins. Then disappear."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica stopped, momentarily taken aback by the intensity of the man's gaze. She then stepped to one side to let him pass.

If he continues on:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Who was that?" Erica asked, glancing at his back as he continued on.

If he stops in the hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Erica paused for a moment, giving Byron a chance to introduce them. If he doesn't:
    "Sorry, I don't think we've met, I'm Erica," she said, extending a hand.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

She looked from Flat Face to Felix, she was glad to have some insight into Jean but really it was the discrepancy that she noted both were blood drinking corpses, yet where Flat Face likely used force to feed on at least a not infrequent occasion she had to wonder whether Felix did also, or if he was a more charmer and talker hanging out and buying a girl drinks until she wouldn't notice if he eat her after taking her home, some of the girls in school would certainly be all to trilled for a dinner date ... but were there other feeding methods?.

Flat Face's hypothesised method seemed more honest but perhaps more risky also, still maybe she wouldn't have to do either butchers might sell perfectly good blood at affordable prices making hunting not needed, she would have to look into it.

Nodding to Flat Face, "just a few questions" then turning to Felix nodded at his words, "you mentioned disciplines and paths can you explain a bit on them, still wrapping my head around the terminology".
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-10-07 at 08:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Right...and how am I supposed to do that? But thinking about it, there seems to be something. Something that wasn't there two days ago, at any rate. Amy closes her eyes, and tries to focus on it. Stop breathing The thought has a strange quality to it, like it is only half hers, but it seems like sensible advice. It's not like I need it, anyway. She stops breathing, and concentrates on the blood, as Mike said.

There is one scary moment when she feels yanked away - that's the only way she has to describe it - and for a second, she feels a stabbing of pain at the back of her neck, and she could swear she smells that obnoxious odour of paint, but it's just a moment, and it passes before she has the time to panic properly... and suddenly, she understands what Mike meant. Think with the blood flowing in your veins. It's there, she can feel it, and that means she can use it like he told her to. To disappear.

Now it worked she thinks I'm sure of it. She opens her eyes to look at Mike, and, very carefully, she begins to move on her right, meaning to end up standing behind him. If he keeps looking towards where she was before, that will probably mean she's right, and she's managed to hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: None of the uses of the first two dots of Obfuscate requires to expend a blood point, right? Anyway, in case it wasn't clear, I'm having her use Unseen Presence togheter with Cloak of Shadows.))

18. - Top - End - #348

DrowGuy

Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    Self Control (2d10)[4][10](14)

Rick feels a sudden urge to lash out, especially when the scumbag touches him. It would be fun to punch him, tear into his flesh and rip his throat out. He closes his eyes, attempting to control his anger. He's never felt hatred like this before.

Still, he manages to keep it in check. For now, anyway.

"Mr. Cavet, you certainly know who Benny was. And now, he's dead. So either you tell me exactly what happened last night, or people start asking questions. And if they don't like the answers, you could be in for a load of trouble."

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying manipulation+ Intimidation? Which I have exactly one die in. (1d10)[1](1) Botch, goody.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-07 at 05:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

As the entered club Claire let the beat through her. She needed to be in a certain mood for this. She'd played this game a few times over the years and played it pretty well. Though she was no great seductress, a girl had to have some fun every now and again. Though it had been what, a year since she'd gone clubbing? Hard to get her own circle to be more outgoing really, and less fun to go alone. For what had happened though... it seemed she'd need to spend a lot more time in such places.

Tapping her fingers on the table Claire scanned the room. She had given some thought on what would be best on the way over. Someone healthy would be good, and looking like they were quite drunk yet, and preferably unattached. Looks were less important, but then she always liked her men a little dark of hair. Blonde was overrated for both genders, so was pale. Still no guarantees here she decided sweeping the room. No there was one thing though that if she could find it would be truly ideal. A certain mood would be best, a certain frustration or boredom maybe that would leave you receptive to someone wanted to take you out of here.

That's what Claire looked for, someone looking for something to happen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not 100% on the context here. I assume your talking about reading the crowd. If so perhaps Perception+Empathy since its reading people and their mood:

(4d10)[8][3][7][9](27)

Unless its something other then Claire's would be prey, I guess disregard the last result in that case unless its something Investigation, Subterfuge, or maybe Etiquette oriented

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Erica

"Jules." His voice is calm and masculine. He shakes her hand firmly. His hand feels ice cold. He turned to Josef. "I'll be back in two weeks. Try not to make any more decisions until then."

He moved on, and it looked as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Josef beckoned her in. "Jules is the other Ventrue in Havensworth. After we had almost lost everything, our Clan sent us some support." He looked up as if in reflection. "Really he's nothing more than a spy for our rivals. He'sn he going to Europe to report on my new deal with Assad. Suffice to say he does not approve. It's of little consequence what he does though."

Felix

"Disciplines are the special powers we possess, sort of like the superheroes in the comic books. Look someone in the eye and bend them to your will, move with supernatural speed, disappear into the shadows, things like that. Cause of disciplines, a single kindred can take down most people one on one."

He hesitated a moment. "Paths... that goes on the darker side of things. See, we all have the beast with us. When we see fire, the beast screams at us to flee. When we're hungry and see blood, the beast screams at us to feed. We lost control. The more inhuman you act, the more people you kill, the more lives you ruin as you put it, the more the beast takes control. Some kindred fall so far that they lose themselves.

"But... there's an alternative. Some kindred just don't fancy the idea of acting like human beings. However, they don't want to become a mindless animal. So, they follow a different path than humanity, a code of ethics they adhere to. Think of it like a religion, there isn't one right one, there's lots of different faiths out there. Long as you stick to it, you can keep the beast at bay. I'd stick to humanity though, Danielle. Thing is, most the other paths are pretty twisted. Paths that focus around being a savage monster, paths that embrace our inner darkness, paths revolving around pain. Say Flat Face, what path are you on? Surely you aren't human anymore, are you?"

Flat Face shrugged. "I dunno. Not a religious man myself." Nosferatu bruiser spit to the side. "Those other paths are for the Sabbat, crazy bastards."

Felix shrugged. "Pretty much."

Amy

"Good, that's how it's done. Gets natural over time. Say... where are you anyways? Afraid I don't know any auspex to spot you." Mike looked around.

Rick
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! Time for combat! Roll wits plus alertness for initiative! (Houserule. I say wits counts more than dexterity to see who acts first.)

Cavet's rolls
    Initiative: (3d10)[8][8][3](19)
    Brawl+Dexterity: (4d10)[4][3][10][6](23)
    Strength: (3d10)[6][7][2](15)+1 dot potence (yes, he's a ghoul)
    Dodge Roll to take away successes from Rick. (1d10)[7](7)

"I'll give you a load of trouble, *******!"

Claire
    Spoiler
    Show
    The roll was to see how good of a target she picks. A poor roll or a botch would have been someone with a lot of baggage like a girlfriend at the club or something.

She spots a man who fits the bill. He's wearing a suit without a tie, sitting up at the bar. He's drinking an Amstel light by the looks of the empty bottle and the glass half full of beer next to him. No one is sitting with him. He seems all right, not bad looking, but nothing special. He does have dark hair.

Rogan notices this. "Not a bad choice, Claire. Now then, what you're going to need to do is talk to him, be friendly. Bring him off to the side, where others aren't looking. If he's sober, change it. Take only a little from him. Replenish the blood you've lost, and nothing more. Do not leave any strings. Would you care for me to demonstrate first?"

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

She smiles to herself, and moves behind him. That's actually too good to pass up. "Creeping right behind you, Mike" she says when she's very near to him, a hint of laughter in her voice. Hide and seek just became fun on a whole other level. "What's auspex?" another power, she supposes, from how he talked about it.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Erica smiled and attempted to place Jules' accent. Her gaze lingered on his retreating form after he passed by.

"He's a spy for our rivals?" Erica asked quietly, glancing back to see if Byron wanted to enter, then closing the door, "does he know you know?"

"Who are the rivals then, the Ventrue who sent him, or is he working for another clan?" she asked.

Another thought hit her and she kept talking.

"And how's he going to get to Europe? I'd imagine flying is off limits these days," she asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-10-08 at 02:34 AM.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #353

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope I did all these correctly. Still a bit iffy on combat.

Wits + Alertness= 3 (3d10)[5][7][6](18)

Dexterity+ Brawl= 5 (5d10)[2][5][5][3][2](17)

Stamina to soak= 3 (3d10)[3][10][10](23)

Rick grits his teeth as the punch connects. Well if that's the way he wanted this to go, Rick would be happy to oblige. He throws his own punch, but it goes wide, knocking over a bottle but not his actual target.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-08 at 02:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Claire

"Believe it or not I have picked up men before," Claire said to Rogan with a slight smile to show she was teasing a little, "Though that aim was a little different there I guess. I suppose watching how its done would be a good idea. Perhaps some hard info too though. How much is he likely to remember after its all done. Can I play this as a kiss to the neck or do I need to drag him out back and hide it a little lower down? I remember my body going insane when you took me, I think if I hadn't died I wouldn't have been sure what happened afterward."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    Oof. Rough go the first round. Good thing you're a kindred though. You only one level of bashing damage. You two strike simultaneously with initiative.

By now the whole bar has turned to the fight. Cavet is red in the face an aims a punch for Rick's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brawl and Dexterity: (4d10)[7][4][10][5](26)
    Strength: (3d10)[2][10][8](20)+ 1 potence
    Dodge: (1d10)[4](4)
    Cavet's soak roll: (2d10)[2][4](6)

Amy

Mike turns around and smiles. "You're a natural Evaz." She could feel herself appear again as the words came from her lips. "Well, that's already step number two. The first step is just hiding, number two is moving. Let's see if you have the third..."

He steps up to Amy, a hand touching the side of her face. "The third step of obfuscate is Mask of a Thousand Faces. It's what makes it possible for our Clan to interact with normal people. Put a mask on Evaz, any mask you want."

Erica

Jules seemed to have a slight British accent, but only barely. Josef answered her, "I will elaborate." His eyes met Ericca's and she felt a great weight on her. "Jules was sent here to clean up the mess that Weiman's death caused in kindred society. He was one of the ones who helped Jean take over power when it was clear that I would not get the support to take the city myself. He is also here to keep an eye on our work. Since Melanie and I are the ones alive, we are the ones to take the blame. He is here to determine whether or not further punishment will be needed. As his sire happens to be from a rival line of Clan Ventrue I can only assume that he wishes to bring us lower than we already are. Perhaps he thinks my plot to force Assad into a grudging ally is the evidence he needs. Then again, perhaps he realizes that my actions have just vindicated my worth to the Clan, and his task has failed.

"He belongs to our Clan, he is with the Camarilla, but he is an outsider, and he is not a friend."

Claire

"Our bite causes ecstasy in our prey, even more than the pleasure we get from feeding on kine blood. So long as he's not completely sober you should be fine. Remember to lick the wound shut though. Perhaps our greatest gift to cover what we are, simply lick the bite wound and they will heal. Watch."

Rogan stood up and moved across the dance floor. Last week she wouldn't have thought much of a man like Rogan, but she could see more clearly now. He was a predator, and the way he move through the crowd was like an animal creeping up to its target.

He found a young girl, maybe twenty years old give or take a couple years. They danced through half a song, and she lulled into his arms playfully. They stepped off the dance floor into the corner. A few people seemed to be watching them in curiousity, and when Rogan noticed, he placed one hand on the girl's rear, and he eyed the group like any man asking for some privacy would. As soon as their eyes were away, he leaned over. From where Clair sat she would have assumed they were kissing, but she knew he was feeding. It took only a moment.

Doey-eyed, the girl looked up at Rogan in slight confusion, probably surprised at the rush she had just received. The Gangrel merely smiled, and gently nudged her back towards the dance floor as he made his way towards the bar. He sat, and turned his body towards Claire's prey.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-10-08 at 05:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "I...see," she said.

This is getting complicated.
    Erica paused for a moment to glance about the office, searching for something that might give her a bit more insight into Josef Kirsch.

"Well, he didn't look too happy when he left," she offered.

Erica sighed softly.

"Is there anyone we can actually count on, or is it just the three of us?" she asked.
    "Three plus one, if you count Faruq," she added.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle
    Danielle was not the kind of girl to read comics, and it took her a second to get the reference, like that guy who dressed in his underwear and the other one who dressed like a bat or those guys with the shining swords in space.
    She gave Felix a measured look at the comparison "right, magic powers got it".

The path idea intrigued her "so if I have this right, the idea of acting like a decent person now done to hold our darker impulses at bay", pausing on consideration "but if someone feels that acting like a decent person is a handicap for there lifestyle ... they can adopt a different mindset end goal", considering "so replace 'be a decent person' as a goal with whatever is suitable for the particular path", mulling it over "so could ... if I had a firm grasp of myself I suppose ... but could I establish a path of 'just be myself' and avoid all the grief with the darker impulses of being a vampire?", she looked askance around the room.

Noting Felix's not so subtle dig at Flat Face, "oh he is not any less human then the rest of us, and humans are not that nice by and large anyway, if you believe the papers anyway", she shrugged at the last.

28. - Top - End - #358

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    spending 1 point of blood to boost Dexterity if able.

If I'm correct, Rick's hurt and now has a-1 penality to all rolls. Disregard last die. sigh.

Soak: (3d10)[9][8][5](22)

Dexterity+ Brawl: (6d10)[3][7][10][1][2][7](30)

Attack roll: (3d10)[2][10][5](17)

Rick lashes out again. Damn it, he's not about to lose his second fight in two nights. Especially against a human. He calls forth the blood, hoping to land a knockout punch.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-08 at 04:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

You make it sound like it's easy, Mike. Amy thinks, but then again, she had thought the same thing about hiding in the shadows, and that had turned out to not be so complicated, after all.

Put on a mask...which mask? Something simple, to start with... and of course, as soon as she starts thinking about it, she has the answer. The last thing she's done yesterday evening, before leaving her apartment, had been checking herself in the small mirror at the top of the sink. Of course she had, she thinks half-amusedly, she had a date with a cute boy, after all. She looks at the 'cute boy' in question for another moment, then nods and closes her eyes again, focusing on the memory of the image. Straight, brown hair, brown eyes, a slight hint of bags under her eyes, nothing special to look at. It shouldn't be so difficult, she was that face just yesterday afternoon.

She stops herself just in time before taking a breath, remembering the eerie suggestion that has come from someone not-quite-herself, and, once again, tries to focus on the blood, like she's done before. Right. I can do this.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Shall I roll, or does she get a free pass the first time?
    I'll roll, in case. (5d10)[3][10][4][5][6](28)))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-10-08 at 04:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

House Rules on Combat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darkseeker had a few questions, so thought I'd share what I'm planning to do for combat given that we are using the forum die roller. To make things a lot easier, I'd like to make it so people only have to make one post per round of combat.

Initiative: Wits + Alertness. I just like wits more than dexterity in this one. It makes more sense to me than an acrobatic dullard would be slow on the uptake if a fight started, while an inflexible bear of a man who thinks quick on his feet would be the first to throw a punch. Initiative is only needed at the start of combat.

Brawl or melee or firearms + dexterity: Need at least one success to do anything. Additional successes past the first automatically count as additional damage. This is another houserule, as normally additional successes get added to the damage roll. However, as I said I'd prefer just one post per turn, so this is my way to simplify it. I can change this if people want.

Strength + potence: Normal rolls for this.

Stamina + fortitude: Normal to soak as well.

Dodge + dexterity*: If you have any points in dodge, they go here. Dexterity must be split between the attack and the dodge roll. You can't use your full dexterity for both.

Everything is at difficulty 6 unless otherwise stated.

So in the first round of combat, Rick scored zero hits on his dexterity + brawl. Our hero Cavet on the other hand scored two hits, the necessary one plus an additional. He also scored two successes via strength plus an automatic due to having potence. So in total he had four damage (extra to hit, two damage, one potence). Rick soaked up two, leaving two damage. Bashing damage is halved rounding down, for one total level of bashing damage.

So in round two, Cavet had the same results as before, one extra to hit, two successful damage rolls, plus potence = 4. Rick only soaked one. However, it is halved, rounding down for only one more damage. The villainous Rick did better, scoring an additional two successes on his brawl + dexterity, plus one on his strength roll. Cavet soaked none so took three levels of bashing damage.

Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, you were fine. No penalties for one one health level of damage. However, now that you've taken a second health level of damage, your brawl + dexterity is at -1. He's at -1 now too though.

Cavet connects with Rick face, but it doesn't land square, rolling off. As he did so, Cavet leaned his face to far forward as Rick replied with an uppercut to Cavet's job, an audible crack sounding. The man cursed in Italian, pulling out a switch blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Melee + dexterity minus 1 for wound penalties: (3d10)[7][8][2](17)
    Strength + potence: (3d10)[7][6][8](21) + 1 from potence
    Soak: (2d10)[2][8](10)
    Dodge - 1: None.

Erica

Josef cluthced his fingers together and leaned back. "Trust is not a word kindred use. I will give you a fair warning about Melanie. You can trust her to do her job, and you can expect that she is working towards the same goal you are so long as you work for this company, but should her life be in danger, she can and will leave you to the wolves. I survived my own assassination attempt because I know a discipline rare to our clan called auspex, one that Assad's ghoul did not know about. Melanie survived because she was willing to throw as many innocents and allies in front of her. Melanie has begun learning it as well, though the next time her life is threatened, I have no doubt she will survive using her own method once again.

"As for the idiot, I've already said what he'll do. He will try to get revenge, there is no doubt about it. He is attracted to you Erica. In his deluded fantasies I saw glimpses of him winning you to his cause. I don't think it's love, most likely the lust of a child who fancies himself a gift to women. He will in time approach you. I suggest you ignore him." A small smale took over Josef's regal features. "Though perhaps if you are willing, you could direct his anger towards others, perhaps the Nosferatu who had his tongue cut out. Let the Prince deal with his antics.

"For Jules, he may be the opposite of Melanie. He is a true son of the Camarilla, and it is likely he would risk his own life to save a useful kindred. However, he will undermine your climb to prominence in kindred society. It's why I use Melanie to further the company, and Jules to take care of the more dangerous affairs."

Danielle

Felix's eyes narrowed in thought.

"It's what I do. Just be yourself, that's what schools teach you kids these days, right?" Flat Face nodded to himself.

The Caitiff spoke. "It's possible theoretically, but there aren't many who can leave their humanity behind without a strict code to follow, to keep them anchored. And be very careful Danielle when you talk about being yourself." His fangs started to extend, and his face slightly more beastial. "Part of who you are is the monster. Start doing anything you heart tells you and the beast will have its way."

Marshal finally chipped in again. "Just be yourself, Danielle, but... think before you act. That's what Felix is trying to say."

Amy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glad you rolled, as yes, it's necessary, even the first time.

"I knew it." Mike nodded his head. "My sire, me, and now you. Obfuscate's what runs in our blood. There are two other disciplines inherent to the Clan, but I have to admit I only know a little about them. Animalism and potence, but I think obfuscate's the most useful. "How do you feel?"