New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Danielle and Rick

She took the photo from the man "thank you", the man was a medical student likely wanted to help people, or at least willing to help people, turned into a monster presumably against his will,stripped of his life, his hopes and dreams and forced to forget his family as the local kindred of his home would likely kill him for the circumstances of his creation.
    He had likely been dealt a bad hand, pity how he choose to play it.

She handed picture back to Flat Face, remembering that he seemed to think Desmund was ok not two weeks ago, "How many bodies, and can we expect childer?", she wondered if the Jackal was on his trail also, she found it likely.

She looked at the older man, he seemed to be settling in well enough to his new lot, that was good she supposed.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

"Most Ventrue feel it Faruq. Finding willing givers is not terribly hard for us. In fact, if you have an affinity for presence you may be one of the luckiest Ventrue in the world. Trust me, from what I know of the Ventrue, you'll know if the blood is good upon first taste."

Sean seemed slightly put off by Faruq's assessment, but regained himself. "Oh dear me, yes those are the stereotypes, and I'm afraid to say most Clans live up to theirs. If you want a more accurate depiction of the Toreador, each of us are passionate, which as likely as not includes artists. Some put thier passion into politics, others murder, though you'll likely find a majoirty of us, even if not as large of a majority as I'd prefer, focusing our energies to one artform or another.

"The Ventrue on the other hand are more or less the leaders of the Camarilla. More Princes are Ventrue than any other Clan, they fingers are almost everywhere in the great soceity of kindred. Yes, some are goons, but really they keep the machine moving. If you'd play along with Josef, I'd imagine he'd try to have you running street operations as you were in mortal life. Not a glamorous role in my mind, but an important one. After all, with all the silly laws and rules popping up in civilization with keeping tack of money, less reputable sources are increasingly important to our kind.

"The Assamites on the other hand are vicious mongrels and I've asked Jean mroe than once to have the Brit staked and left to the sun." Faruq could tell Sean was not exaggerating. "Of the thirteen Clans, the Assamites are in the running for most feared Clan. That is not a compliment Faruq though. One of the first acts of the Camarilla was to bring the Assamites low. In truth, they were lucky the Tremere had their spell ready, for the alternative was a blood hunt on the entire Clan. Make no mistake, the Assamites are dangerous, but no Clan can stand up to seven. None. If you're looking to know more about them, the devil himself, or Josef are your two most knowledgeable about them as far as I know."

He smiled again. "Faruq, remember though the kindred, although social, are very selfish by nature. Concern yourself with how you will be useful to the other kindred so they want to keep you around. Concern yourself with how you will pursue your own goals without drawing too much ire. Oh, you showed passion last night, but you were much too loud and obvious. Also work on your smile. Personnally I enjoy it, but most kindred do not like to see the raw ambition you're showing across the face, it's a threat."

Danielle and Rick

"Lesson one apprentice, being a pawn is no defense. If you're too weak and get used by someone else, you're still at fault. All it means is we have someone else to tear limb from limb too. We ready?"

Amy, Andrew, Erica

"Yes, pictures would be good. The pretty one it's most capable of taking pictures I've heard." She was referring to Andrew, and it didn't sound like a compliment. "I don't know the specific number, though I believe it's around a couple dozen. Working with kine truly is ugly business. "Rick is currently investigating another matter. All the new kindred are being tested, and yes, this is a test. Every kindred in the city from time to time must be called upon to assist the Camarilla in whatever capacity it asks. This is making sure you are capable enough to do it. Don't worry little ones, you won't be killed if you do a poor job, it'll just mean you'll have to spend that much longer under the thumbs of your sires until you show you can survive on your own."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Okay, I guess you can take the pictures," Erica says.

He's cute.

"My name is Erica, pleased to meet you," she says, holding out her hand.

Erica introduces herself to Amy as well, as if she's never met her.

Her mouth drops open slightly as Donovan mentions the number of people killed.
    A couple dozen? So over twenty people shot dead and nobody's noticed yet??

"I think we should pick up some rubber gloves first, in case the cops sweep for fingerprints," she says, "and Donovan, where was this again? Andrew, do you mind driving? I was dropped off."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-24 at 05:38 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Oh, I've heard about that one. Slick had mentioned him, and Mike had confirmed. The new... Toreador, was it?. Amy is inclined to be a bit careful around him just on those basis. If Slick's gossip was correct, he should be Purity's childe... and she hasn't forgot about Purity, or the other harpies, for that matter. Still haven't figured out what their friggin' problem was.

She frowns a bit when Erica introduces herself again. "It's Amy. We know each other". She definitely doesn't like going around under disguise... Creepy as hell, but it can't really be helped, she guesses. Not if she isn't in a place where she's absolutely sure there won't be bystanders around.

At the very least, it doesn't seem like they'll be held to unreasonable expectations. I can think of way worse fates than depending on my sire for another while. It's not like Mike had ever abused the entire 'sire' thing, anyway. "Yeah, I'd need a lift, too." She had come on foot. Slick doesn't have a car, and she has no idea of where either Flat Face or Mike may be.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-11-24 at 06:08 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

Flat Face had not seen her meaning, she didn't want to help the mad man she wanted to make sure that they got the full story ... or maybe Flat Face saw all to well, and she was just rationalising to seem morally justified to allow for being part in a cold blooded murder.

Was Desmund truly any worse then her, he was an established caitiff and had taken years to snap, but Trent and Rogan said they all did in the end.
    I put a guy in hospital a few days ago, he could be dead now, she made a point to check, would she even last a year without being a murderer, did I even last two weeks?.

She checked herself, jeans, dark t shirt, sneakers, a long denim jacket with a knife in a top inner pocket, a couple of tens, her keys, and freeflowing hair.
    Grabbing the hair she tied it back in a pony tail.

The thought hit her in a sickening way, two old men take a teenager to a motel ... oh dear god, "this is messed up" she muttered hoping no one who knew her would encounter her.

"Sure boss, ready when you are", pausing and looking at Rick "sorry unless we should ask something else?", real vampires will not like you mouthing off let them talk and don't speak over them, she could have kicked herself.

Shaping up to be a bad night.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-11-24 at 06:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Andrew, and Amy
    "Amy?" Erica says, looking at the other woman closely.

"Wow, that's... amazing," she breathes.

"So... you can make yourself look like anything you want?" she asks.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-24 at 08:43 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Amy shrugs. "Yeah." she answers, not too keen on elaborating. According to the others, she can ever pretend to be a six feet tall male basketball players, if she really concentrates, but she prefers to stick with the basis. Easier, and it does the job well enough. Plus, she feels less uncomfortable to wear a face that was actually hers not so long ago. "It's kinda useful for moving around"

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew
    "Yeah, I can see how it would," Erica replies.

There was a brief pause as Erica glanced between the two others.

"So um... have either of you done anything like this before?" she asks.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-24 at 10:19 AM.
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"Oh! Sorry, Amy. Didn't recognize you." Donovan still hated his guts. Good to see that hadn't changed. Andrew was eager to get out from under Purity's delicate thumb. Better do this right. "Yeah, I can drive you guys. There are a couple stores between here and... where are we headed? I can't see blood being spilled over a crappy diner." He tried to suppress a chuckle at the thought.

He shook his head at Erica's question. "No, but we're smart people. We'll figure it out." This assignment would actually be a good time to try out Auspex.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-11-24 at 03:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Amy snorts. "Yeah, sure, I was a wiz at spotting shoplifters." she replies. She arches an eyebrow at Andrew "Uhm, sorry... have we met before? You're the new Toreador, aren't you?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

Rick shook his head at Danielle. "Oh no, it's fine. I'm ready to get this whole sorry business over with. " The girl looked a bit distressed. Rick's old police instincts took over. He reaches over and pats her hand.

"We'll be fine. It's a routine job apparently. If it gets to be too much for you, I'm sure I can handle it. I used to be a cop." He explains, as if that prepares him for what is to come.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-11-24 at 02:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"I am, and we haven't. But I've heard about you too, and you looked..." Andrew quashed the bevvy of insults that the harpies had used in reference to her. "Different, than I expected. So I thought you were an Amy, but not that Amy. My mistake."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She allowed the man to take her hand, nothing routine about hunting down a monster that was spawning his own army, to her mind at least, still it was somewhat reassuring that the man seemed confident.

"Thanks" she said with a weak smile, "I'll pull my weight if I can", she didn't expect Flat Face to accept anything less, but if the man trained in handling dangerous situations wanted to take the lead, well more power to him.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica.

Right. She can see where he's coming from. "Uhm, no, that's okay. I'm that Amy." She makes a vague gesture towards her face. "Not really how I really look." Anymore. "Yeah, I know it's creepy."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

Andrew shrugged. "It's no big deal. Whatever makes you comfortable. I'd say take it off if you want, but the folks at Safeway might object." He popped open the back door, then slid into the driver's seat. "Shall we be off? Figure we'll need all the time we can get."

Spoiler
    Show
    Figured there was no sense in this poor little American getting sleepy before the plot can advance. Figure Donovon would impart us with an address (or it was the IHOP - in which case, lol) and we could away to the grocery store!

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew
    "Are you kidding? I think it's great," Erica says, "I mean, imagine if you couldn't do that, you'd be stuck hiding away from everyone."

She nods at Andrew's statement.

"Yeah, let's go, no telling when the police will show up, and then we'll have a real problem," she said, "shotgun."

And this task is eating up precious minutes... nevermind that, better stop and focus on the job.

Once inside the car, Erica will turn around to face Amy.

"You know, I wanted to talk to you more that first night, but then everyone sort of split up," she said, "and then I wanted to you and some of the others a call, but I didn't have anyone's number, do you have a card or anything?"

Erica will hand out a business card both Andrew and Amy.

Spoiler
    Show

Ms. Erica Lee
    Weinmann and Kirsh Investments
    212 Market Street
    Havensworth, WA 97124
    O: (971) 555-6000
    F: (971) 555-6111
    D: (971) 555-6871

"If either of you need any help preserving the Masquerade, let me know," she said, "I can remove and modify memories from kine."

She turned to face forward again, chancing a glance at Andrew as they cruised through the night.
    "So what did you guys do before... you know..." she asked, letting the question trail off.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-25 at 03:22 AM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Donovon chuckled, a fairly upleasant sound. "By the way new bloods, the police have yet to investigate the scene of the crime... they don't want to get shot by any survivors of the happy tribe of degenerates."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give a chance to respond, then we'll jump to the next scene.

Danielle, Rick

Rick found the drive unpleasant in Flat Face's truck in comaprison to the nice rides he was used to with the Tremere. Danielle already knew what to expect. It took twenty minutes to reach the place. It was called the "Three Star Motel" and it looked out of used for years. None of the large neon letters looked like they could work, and Flat Face's truck was the onlly one in the parking lot. Half the windows were boarded up. The front door however, was not.

"Right team, I say we barge in there."

He showed a slight bit of restraint this evening by only suggesting it, rather than his usual method of going right ahead and doing it.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-11-25 at 06:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

Andrew accepted the card from Erica, slipping it into the sun visor while he drove. "I was - am - a photographer. Fashion mostly, to pay the bills. Hoped to eventually do my own work, but..." His knuckles clenched around the steering wheel. "Well, I probably won't have the opportunity." He forced the unfortunate clan weakness from his mind. "What about you? You're a stockbroker or something?"

19. - Top - End - #529
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Danielle and Rick

"We may want to attempt a more subtle approach. No reason to announce our arrival." He motions towards the door. "I'll take point. Both of you follow behind me in cover. If Desmond proves hostile, hopefully he'll think I'm alone and let down his guard enough for the both of you to do your thing."

The former cop moves to the front door, cautiously attempting to open it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll if needed, Dex+Stealth to open the door and sneak in undetected. (5d10)[8][7][1][5][1](22)

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She travelled in the back of the truck giving the front seat to the older, more respectable vampire, and spend the trip considering what she had been tasked with.
    Think of him as Billy, her fist balled, or not thinking of him as Billy might make her rash.

The motel was rundown and out of use seemingly which was a benefit at least innocent bystanders were less likely, baring transients and junkies but you don't count them guilt screamed in her head but she ignored it.

When Flat Face suggested a frontal assault and Rick indicated a plan of just walking in she looked askance at them, "Hmm ... can't you", she looked at Flat Face "obfuscate your way in and see what the deal is?", thinking about it "and myself and Rick can come in if you need us, or if he is not alone you can come back for us", she wasn't sure about it maybe she had obfuscate wrong, or Desmund was able to see through it or something, but it seemed an obvious plan.

She hugged the wall when Rick went to the door, "hey Flat Face" she whispered, "is something wrong here you seem odd tonight", she didn't know the man well enough to say that with any certainty but she felt she had to ask.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Yeah," Erica said, wishing she knew more about fashion, "maybe you could do some studio work."

She smiled when he mentioned stockbroker.

"Something like that," Erica replied, "but more on FX and forensic accounting."

"What about you Amy?" she asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-25 at 06:31 AM.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Amy examines the business card. Fancy. Almost as fancy as Andrew's previous occupation. Too bad she doesn't have one to hand back "I was a counter girl in a store at the corner of Maxfield Road. Didn't really need business cards." She considers for a moment wherever she wants to add more... but where she lives wouldn't exactly be a secret, would it? "I'm living with the other Nosferatu now. So, uhm, you know, in case you ever need to reach me for something". She shrugs.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Probably not," Erica replies in reference to not needing business cards.

"I knew some people in college who went to class during the day and worked the graveyard shift at 7-11," she said, "it's really tough, especially when the weirdos showed up in the dead of night..."

She waited a moment, wondering if the others would laugh at her half-hearted attempt at humor.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-25 at 08:49 AM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

"Ah, no, no college." If Erica is very observant she can probably tell Amy has tensed just a tiny bit. "Would have liked it, but didn't really have the money to." Hell, sometimes she had to work double shifts just to keep the rent paid. Not that it particularly matters anyway now, does it?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"Meh, college is overrated," Andrew declared. He was relieved that the subject had shifted away from 'why Andy can kiss fine-art photography goodbye.' When they stopped at a red light, Andrew pulled out the business card and a pen. He wrote his number twice on the back and ripped it in half. He handed one to Amy and held the other out to Erica. "Trade you for a fresh one?"

26. - Top - End - #536
    Banned

So I will feel it if it's good, and even then, I guess it wouldn't really kill me... Actually, what's the worst could happen? Like, puking or something. It's food by this point. Let's hope it behaves that way. Just gotta stock up, and prepare. Waiting for their... drinks to arrive under such ponderings, and taking care to have his all-too-honest mien transform into one of calm professionality, Faruq took the chance for a minor pause before adressing Sean's speech on these supposed "stereotypes". He didn't like me saying it like that, and I can see why that would get to him a little. I mean, we don't have to like each other, but so far, he's been helping me quite a bit, and it's not like either of us can do anything about what clan they're landed with... or what stereotypes. "I see. So it's more like... picture and frame, I guess? You need meaning in one, and purpose in the other?" And Flockton's folks are the turpentine. -My- folks, that is, once this mess gets sorted out.

That last one was mostly to remind himself of the goals he'd set, for given the range of opportunities Sean implied, it would have been easy for him to get a bit... carried away with this vampire thing. In fact, he had found himself skirting exactly that when he had noticed how flowery his choice of words had become.

If it ever -does- get sorted out. Not a whole lot of hope there by the looks of things.

No. It will. Might just take a while, we'll be busy, and what-not-all.

But wait a minute... I mean, they apparently want me bad enough for the bigwigs to meet me in person. I can respect that bit, and if this intrigues-and-lies-thing Flockton told me about is true... the Old Goblin has to be cruel, because his throne ain't as sure as you'd think it is. Meaning the more I can figure out, the less likely they'll be to surprise me with anything.

And the more likely I'll be to surprise them, once the time has come... They want me in, I want... not even all of them; -some- of them put into place, there are some rules, and I'm a Ventrue. Why not actually indulge them, then?

Just until then, of course.

And even then, within reason... Oh, fair enough. Here goes.

"However, I apologise should my assessment have struck you as somewhat... unrefined. I find that one sometimes has to be blunt to get things out clearly, is all, and I'm sadly not the most poetic sort." Which was precisely the kind of smooth half-truth he had been good at and proud of before. Though -really-, if Ventrue are the princes and the leadership, and they made me one of them, than this -is- one hell of a shot I've been given here. They... 'politick and lie', was it, and reckon they can shackle down the best damn liar they will likely ever meet? This way 'round it doesn't even sound too bad for me... But hadn't he had this kind of thoughts before, and had they not usually heralded a sudden and inexplicable shift for the very worst? "At any rate, and speaking of, I do stand in your debt for your advice, and shall remember it. However, should there be any particular matter in which I may be a help to you..."

He let the last bit unspoken at first, and once more for reasons all his own: For once, given the enmity between this guy and Flockton the former had hinted at, and the reputation of what would almost have been his clan, it would not be too out there for the Toreador to try and set him against the Assamite. So he would have to dodge - and to prepare - his share of subtleties in case such might occur.

Say, though, doesn't turpentine -burn- real easy, like? This sunlight thing and then my lighter stunt in mind, I really should have found another metaphor.

Yet even then, he would have a lot of planning to do some time tonight, and should there actually be something, and something of immediacy the way his luck had worked those last few times... Well, then he'd still have made an offer, and retracting it would be poor form. So that was that, he guessed.

"...preferably something that doesn't immediately concern certain elements of my acquaintance whom some might... not want to compliment, that is..." The little barb there in the end was not spoken in any sort of malice, having come from little but a certain self-satisfied glee about that "diplomatic" turn of phrase, but the idea of his former Uncle Maddie and his personnel leaving what had presented itself as a society of well-connected, supernatural and fiercely powerful nigh-deathless beings in such readily-admitted fear sure did feel quite a bit like a compliment - all thoughts of banishment, opportunities, the nature of that rep and any implications of those facts aside. Regardless, it wasn't like Sean would know precisely why he sounded so amused, even if the Toreador would certainly draw his conclusions at seeing the Ventrue neonate cheer up so suddenly. "...then I would certainly be happy to cooperate."

It wasn't even a lie this time: For if they cared to fill him in with things his so-called sire and her lot had quite effectively withheld, he might as well consider them his allies, and enjoy what would play out during the coming nights, free blood in hand and waiting. Whether or not the young vampire's line of thought was entirely what the older ones had hoped he would make of their words, on the other hand, was a different matter as naturally as all along.

Bullet point breakdown: I have a lot of time on my hands as of right now, I know the definite enemies, I could make friends in high places just playing it cool and all that I really need to give in return is the time that it takes to run errands every so often. No, Faruq figured, this won't be all that hard at all. And given how I got the strength, I don't suppose humility would kill me. Why not try and listen to un-dominated Charles this time around?

"Though, say - would it be tasteless to say 'Cheers' while drinking blood?"
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-11-25 at 05:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew
    "...sure," she said, handing over another business card.

"You're right, by the way," Erica said, "about college. Definitely overrated."

She tugged at her seat belt to move it into a more comfortable position.

"I learned more in six months on the job than I did in four years of college," Erica continued, "if you ask me, the whole thing is a scam."
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"Yeah, same here. Though I hear you make back tuition pretty quick with a higher paycheck. Dunno if that's true or not." Andrew shifted gears, concerned that Amy was being so quiet.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew

"Depends on the tuition, and the paycheck," Erica replies, "and how hard you work... I can't even count the number of all nighters and 120 hour weeks I pulled."

The young woman shudders slightly at the memory.

"I tell you what, there are definitely some perks to being forced to sleep all day," she said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-26 at 05:36 AM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

On the back seat of the car, Amy has been listening, and thinking to herself Yeah, but in order to get that first job, you had to show a degree, didn't you? She isn't really comfortable to say it out loud, but when they discuss tuitions and working double shifts, she feels like she has to say something.

"Yeah, not if you're on minimum wage, and with Havensworth college's rates" she says, quietly. Not if your family didn't put a single cent in a college fund.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-11-26 at 02:07 PM.