New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Andrew, Amy, Erica

Andrew was about to ask what drugs you needed to work that much when Amy spoke up from the back seat. "Sorry, Amy. I just meant with a degree, you make m- Nevermind. Looks like we're here." He parked in a spot by the entrance to Safeway, then turned around in the seat. "Would you mind going in to pick up the gloves? You can grab a couple other cleaning supplies too; that way it won't look so out of the ordinary." Andrew pulls a twenty from his wallet and hands it to her. "That should cover everything."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "'s'cuse me," Erica says, "I just thought of some other stuff we might need."

She unbuckled her seatbelt and followed Amy into the store.

Erica will pick up a roll of paper towels, some tape, and a lighter, then head back to the car.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-26 at 06:41 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Erica, Andrew

"Sure." Amy nods and heads to the store. She has no problem in taking the money from Andrew. It's not like the 30 dollars she's got in her wallet are hers, either: she's taken them out the Nosferatu common fund just before going out.

She picks up the gloves, and also some pipe drain gel, since they're two products that people tend to buy togheter. Seven dollars, really? That's a scam she thinks. In the store where she used to work, she would have easily saved at least one dollar, without even counting the discount she'd get as an employee.

She notices Erica entering the store, but she doesn't look at her too much as she pays and goes back in the car. She hands the change back to Andrew. "If you got some blocked pipes, got some drain gel for you" she says "That's the best, you know, works in ten minutes."

When Erica comes back as wel, she arches an eyebrow at her: "Thought about something else we needed?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-11-26 at 07:10 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Yeah," Erica said, "Bounty, the quicker picker upper paper towel for wiping up bloody footprints or anything else, and a lighter, in case we need to start a fire."

I should have brought a backpack, definitely something to add to the shopping list.

"What's the drain gel for?" she asks.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, and Erica

Andrew sat in the car, tapping his thumbs against the steering wheel while he waited. In response to Erica's question, he chimed in, "If you go into a store just to buy surgical gloves, you sorta stand out. Buy some Drain-o, you look like someone with a clogged drain that hates chemical burns."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Danielle, Rick... FLAT FACE!

Rick opened the doors, but it's old and it squeals loudly as he did so, most likely destroying any element of surprise.

Rick can hear two hushed voices coming from inside, but can't tell whether they're male or female.

"Huh?" Flat Face looks curiously at Danielle before it dawns on him. "Don't think we're suddenly friends now. We have a job to do, and I'm not botching it over your miserable ass. Stay focused." Flat Face wasn't scared from what Danielle could see, but he was taking this job seriously.

Amy, Andrew, Erica
    Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, the conversation has been great. Takes a bit of pressure off of me, and offers some good roleplaying.

The three eventually make it to their destination. Waiting for them is the woman Iris, Al Rowe's deputy. "Hello fledgelings." She smiles warmly. "I hope your sires have been helpful." Her eyes flicker to Andrew for just a moment. "I'm sure Donovon gave you the basic situation. We didn't want a fight amongst the shadier elements in the city. Makes our unlives a bit harder, and serves as an invitation for new players to enter the city who we have no bearings on. Unfortunately the Russians just didn't want to let the rednecks go. Now we have to figure out if it was just the Russians of if they're getting outside help.

"I'm here to hopefully keep you all from getting shot as soon as step onto the street. Seeing a black woman isn't going to make them happy, but at least they'll assume you aren't the Russians coming back for round two."

She pointed to the street just ahead of them. "The group calls itself the Purebloods. Ironic, I know. It's about five large families who've all married into each other for a couple generations, with an occassional person from the outside, not many. Hard to tell how many of them there are, especially if you include all the little urchins they spawn. I swear the few times I've met them half the women are knocked up. They don't know about the existence of kindred, and we want to make sure it stays that way. You use any of your flashy new disciplines and you better hope Erica here knows how to wipe a memory, or you better be ready to finish the job.

"No one's gone in there since the attack. The Purebloods and the police don't see eye to eye as you imagine, and I don't think anyone's going to shed a tear when the morning paper hits the sidewalks. We expect most the people are dead though. They're ignorant, dirty, gun-happy, and they just lost most their family. Be cool as soft." Her eyes flickered to Andrew again. "Any questions?"

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "The Russians shot all of them? The kids and the pregnant women?" Erica asks, aghast.

She looks at Iris for a moment before coming up with another question.

"If we want to find out if the Russians had outside help, why don't we find out from them? Or is that what Rick and the others are doing?" she asks.

"Also, what should we do with any survivors?" she asks.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Iris's face stayed passive. She didn't bother responding to the first question. "When Yuri Votslav sent his men to attack, he basically gave us the middle finger. In his inifinite wisdom, the Prince thought it smarter to speak to the ones licking their wounds rather than the group who no doubt is putting up its walls." She smiled warmly at Andrew. Amy and Erica could tell she was flirting.

"We're not responsible for the survivors. They chose to live like animals, and they got hit hard for it. Pity for 'em, but as long as the masquerade holds, we may as well leave them be."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Okay, so find out if the Russians got any help, and patch up any Masquerade breaches," she said.

She thought for a moment.

"This is going to make national news," she said, "the FBI are going to be here soon, especially if it's linked to organized crime."

And I don't know how it wouldn't be...
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle, Rick and Flat Face

She gave a sharp nod at Flat Face's words, it sounded like him which put the whole idea that it was someone else faking it a little to rest, it was also good for a bit of normalcy ... such as it was.

She winced at the door opening, but there would be nothing that could have been done a squeaky door was a squeaky door after all.

She listens in the aftermath of the squeak to try and figure out if there was any reaction outside the three of them to the squeak.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception + Alertness: (5d10)[5][9][1][8][6](29)

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

Andrew returned Iris' stare with a smile. She was one of the traitors that the harpies barely spoke about. They likely wanted him on their side or wanted to exploit him to get back at Sean and the harpies. Either way, Andrew needed to be wary of her.

He scoffed lightly at Erica's concern. "No they won't. Cops showed up, but they were our cops, and they reported back that there was nothing wrong. Just a bunch of idiot kids with fireworks or whatever. Seen it happen before, just usually with more minor crimes. Cop and his wife get in a fight, mayor's daughter gets a DUI, that sorta thing." Andrew glanced at his companions' flabbergasted expressions. "My sister's a lawyer. You pick up a few things, here and there."

He looked back to Iris. "Where are these survivors? I'd like to ask them about what happened while the incident is still fresh in their minds."
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-11-27 at 12:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

Rick cursed as his attempt at stealth fails miserably. James Bond he was not. And then he cursed himself for making such a dated reference. The Soviet Union was gone. They'd never make another movie with him.

He withdraws back to the others. "We've got at least two people inside. I can't tell if they're male or female. And they're probably expecting trouble now." He pulls out his gun. "Have to make do with what we've got, I suppose. " He returns to his original location, hugging the wall as he peers inside the motel. Always best to know the terrain before one charged right in.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

Still listening for sounds inside she picked only paid half an ear to the man getting the core points.
    Two people, unknown, might be expecting trouble, she registered the intention.
    She snapped out of her concentration when he reached for his gun, her eyes frantic, mostly for the man pulling a gun something she had always cinsidered the kind of thing she wanted to avoid being around, but calming herself a bit there was a second concern.
    "Wait we don't know if it is Desmund or even related to our job at all, could be kids playing, or a owner checking things or anything", her voice low but frantic, her eyes met Rick's and flicked in the direction of Flat Face, "we won't be delayed by explaining ourselves tonight if this looks like we are the criminals".
    She suspected that Flat Face would likely simple kill the bystanders and they could move on to to the job of looking for clues of Desmund, she hoped Rick got the message.
    She also hoped some part of him might actually care.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-11-27 at 01:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

"The motel is abandoned. And the voices were hushed. It was hard to make them out, suggesting anyone in there may be expecting trouble. Believe me, I won't go in guns blazing, but I'd rather have some protection in case one of them tries anything. And if they turn out to be thrill seeking teenagers, hopefully they believe me when I say I'm a cop."

He notices her apprehension. "Look, I promise I won't attack first. This is just for protection, alright?"

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Right, because twenty bodies shot full of holes is the same as a DUI... well, if it makes him feel better...

Erica glanced to Andrew.

Must be nice to have a lawyer in the family... wonder if it would have made a difference.

"I thought the police hadn't arrived yet," Erica replied.

She alternated looks between Iris and Andrew. The fact the two of them had been trading glances wasn't lost on her.

"Do you know something we don't?" she asked.

Stop wasting time!

"Forget it," she said, shaking her head, "let's just get in, talk to the survivors, and get out of here."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-27 at 02:00 AM.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She considered he is the expert, let him do his job the rational part of her brain was saying, innocent or not Flat Face might kill them if they look to slow us down the guilt ridden part was saying.

She would try one more, "If they are criminals" she paused "soft drugs, prostitution, burglary whatever. Then they likely will surrender, won't they?" it was an actual question, would that be more sensible then a shootout with a cop or running, "but they won't be getting picked up tonight and taken to a cell, we don't have time for that", there was a hint of conviction in her eyes "they will instead most likely be killed to avoid any interference with us".

Letting them go claiming that it they were on our territory wouldn't work either as they might come back with muscle - wasting time. She considered for a second, "look you're the expert, and I do not want to be getting in the way, but how about I go in first and see what is up", compared to a man with a gun and Flat Face she was likely the least threatening by a mile.

If her going in first might prevent a horrible accident she could risk herself for that.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-11-27 at 01:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557

DrowGuy

Danielle and Rick

Oh sure, let a kid go first into a den of possible gang bangers and who knows what else. Lovely idea.

Still a nagging voice told him that he might not be all that useful in a fight. Hell, a low level ghoul managed to almost beat him into torpor with little more than a knife. If things went south here, it was unlikely anyone would intervene to save him. He looks to Flat Face, gaging if the... thing cared.

Finally, he nods. "Yeah, alright. You're of his kind, as it were. If that's Desmond in there, he might be more likely to trust you. Or at least not go immediately hostile. Be careful. If you encounter any hostiles, lead them to us. I'll be right behind you and will deal with them."

He moves out of her way, allowing the teenager to take point. First taking orders from a preteen, now letting a teenage girl go first into a dangerous situation... the world was getting crazier every day.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-11-27 at 02:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She nodded in thanks, a smile of relief froze on her face unformed of his kind ... meaning expendable she guessed, before rebuking herself that might be an unfair assumption to associate to the man personally.

Now to figure out how her moving in would be any better then the cop doing it for keeping the people alive if they gave any issue ... dammit she had not thought this through.

She tried to think about possible scenarios while moving into the building as quietly as possible returning to keeping an ear out.

Spoiler
    Show

Will keep the earlier Perception + Alertness roll if possible.
    Dexterity + Stealth (5d10)[9][8][3][1][1](22)

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Erica, Andrew

From what Mike and Slick had said at the party, and the gossip she has picked up in these two weeks, she knows exactly what's going on between the two. They're the same clan, but she and his sire tend to lock horns, don't they? Not that it's particularly important at the moment.

"Yeah, doubt it's gonna be simple as that" she mutters to herself. There is one nagging question at the back of her mind. Let's assume Yuri did it, and with external influence, just to spit in our faces. What next? Does he remain untouchable? Kindred politics doesn't make the most of sense for her, but then again, human politics never particularly did, anyway. "But yes, anyway, let's just go". The sooner they start, the better. Amy can't imagine it's going to be a very pleasant experience.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"God no. Just idle speculation, and an observation that it's, regrettably, not as hard to cover up crimes in this city as you think. Even horrifying ones. The Havensworth PD... well, let's just say I'm with you on gettin' outta before they show up." Andrew shouldered his camera bag and waited for Iris to lead them in.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    "Hmm, sounds like there's an interesting story or two behind that statement," Erica said with a smirk.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-11-28 at 09:35 PM.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

Rick and Danielle

Flat Face says little as the two make their plans. Danielle finally goes through the door. She tries to do so subtlely, but there is little to hide behind. It doesn't take long for the situation to change.

"Hands in the air!" A man in his mid twenties pops out from behind the counter. He's thin, shaky, and there's dried blood and his plaid shirt. He's wearing thin rimmed glasses, but his hands seem steady enough on the shotgun that he's pointing at Danielle.

Amy, Andrew, Erica

"Andrew has the right of it, mostly. Let's find out where they are, shall we?" Iris leads the way, as the take the first street. The lawns are dead in some spots, overgrown in others. There's a musty smell in the air which seems to have been there for a long time. Most of the houses seem pretty old, and are in serious need of a paint job, perhaps even a whole rennovation.

Iris walks with calm and poise, each of them noticing how flawless Iris's walk is with her back perfectly straight, and her legs moving at a complementary pace to her form.

They pass four houses until Iris stops at the fifth. "There are at least three different armed survivors in that house, most certainly pointing their guns at us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Iris is using the first level of auspex, hence why she can hear it.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Andrew, Amy

Erica froze and slowly turned towards the house, raising her hands in the air as she did so.

"Don't shoot," Erica said, loudly and clearly, "we're not armed. We just want to talk."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what the roll would be here... leadership? expression? performance?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-12-02 at 09:25 PM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She froze, well subtlety was out how the hell do I deal with a shotgun wielding man, no immediate answer came to her as she raised her hands.

He didn't look like the picture she had been shown but that meant nothing many pictures looked nothing like the person themselves after a haircut and a change of clothes ... still the blood maybe meant a new embrace, she pitied the man he likely would not survive, if he is willing to resort to murderous assault on a stranger as an opener that might be for the best.

She readied herself to dive if he looked about to fire, but for now stood her grounds hands in the air, he was the man with the gun he was in charge here, she kept her mouth shut giving him a chance to start talking or questioning as he liked.

25. - Top - End - #565

DrowGuy

Danielle and Rick

Rick curses under his breath. It was a good thing he had not gone in first. Had the guy saw a gun, the ex cop would probably be looking at a hole through his chest right now.

He peeks over the corner, gun pointing directly at the suspe...target. He wanted to try one of his new powers. He had been focused with Quenton on blood magic, but he had heard he could command other's minds. Now was as good a time as any to try.

"Hold on there, Quickdraw. Why don't you do yourself a favor and drop the gun?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Manipulation+Intimidation. Spend a willpower if I can. (2d10)[9][9](18)
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-12-02 at 10:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

The man takes two steps back. He looks like he wants to drop the gun, but it looks almost as if his hands are glued onto the gun. "Can't... no..."

"He's dominated." Flat Face throws the door open, his own gun levelled at the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for initiative. Wits + Alertness according to my houserules, difficulty 6.

Flat Face: (2d10)[8][10](18)
    Man: (4d10)[7][1][4][7](19)

27. - Top - End - #567

DrowGuy

Danielle and Rick

Rick hesitated. He did not want to shoot the man, but it seemed as though he had little choice. Reluctantly, he pulls the trigger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (3d10)[6][7][3](16)

Firearms+ Dexterity (5d10)[3][5][6][3][9](26)

It's a 9mm, so base damage should be 4.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

She was half annoyed and half relieved when Rick came in, he was assuming - she hoped - that the man would not just discharge the shotgun at her, and ruining the chance to get some info out of him when he was in control ... on the other hand it was nice to have someone actually on her side when she was facing down a gun.
    Why does everyone but me have a gun anyway, the though randomly, low calibre are apparently useless and high can't be concealed that was unless Jack was screwing with her she she suggested one for defence.

She was caught between diving and charging, if the man was human she didn't want him shot and taking him out would possible prevent that, but she also didn't want herself getting shot.

Spoiler
    Show

Will wait to see the order of acting before saying what she actually does.
    Wits+Alertness: (5d10)[2][1][9][4][5](21)

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew

"She's telling the truth," Andrew chimed in. He took a small step forward with his hands raised. "We want to find the people who did this to you, and we could really use your help." Come on. Just like Matt taught you...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending a blood point to use Awe, and a Willpower point to- well, let's not jinx it. (Dunno if my -2 difficulty applies, this bein' a social roll, but whatever.) (4d10)[7][10][2][4](23)

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

"Ah see. Now you're starting to understand Faruq. Yes, I do expect you'll pay me back someday for my little advice, the advice that no one else was willing to give you. Yes, you do have your boundaries and it's good that we have this chance to weigh one another's worth."

Sasha came back with the drinks. There were a dozen glass on the tray and she placed them delicately on the table behind. Standing there in acquiescence to Sean.

"Go ahead and see if any suit you. Sip it, smell it, rub it all over your body if you must." It seemed the last was more of Sean speaking out his fantasies rather than sound advice.

"Now then, one more lesson for tonight young fledgling, fledgling your title until you prove your worth to the Camarilla. You seemed quite critical of our society, and I will correct you. Firstly, the Camarilla is not a mortal government, so do not compare the two. Is that agreeable?"

Spoiler
    Show
    You can roleplay however many glasses Faruq feels is nourishing. Since willing vessels is his thing, most should fall under that.

Danielle, Rick

Two shots, one in the shoulder, one square in the chest. A second person, darted out from behind the desk, wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans. They were heading for the door, hitting hard against it as it opened.

"Oh good, a chase. I'll let you two catch that one, I'll go see if Desmund's around." Flat Face moved toward the staircase to their left to check the second floor.

The man who had held Danielle up was dead, his body slumped agaisnt the wall, a dumbfounded look on his face.

Amy, Andrew, Erica
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume Amy's perception roll is to see if she had spotted something. Iris was the first to catch something as she's the only one using supernatural senses right now. That, and it adds to the suspense having an NPC say how there's guns poitned at them.

There was silence for a few seconds. Amy could see the curtains on the small, one story house move despite there not being any noticeable wind.

The first word to come out was an slur. Iris's brow raised high despite herself.

"You aint' the Russians, that's why we haven't shot you yet. You clearly ain't family either and we don't take aid from outsiders." The voice came from a middle aged man. The voice was threatening, but weary.