New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Danielle and Rick

They killed him, the bastards killed him, she was shocked, he was mind controlled possibly innocent and they killed him like it was nothing. She took a step to try to tend to the injured but quickly collected herself, he was dead and if they caught the other one they would likely kill them too ... she had to catch them first.

She took off after the runner.

Spoiler
    Show

Dex+Athletics: (7d10)[6][10][7][8][2][1][3](37)

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Danielle and Rick

Rick's gun crashes to the floor. He stands in shock.

He had just killed someone. Worse, he had killed an innocent man who was not even kindred.
    He hadn't dropped the gun. He was a threat. I needed to take that shot!

The words ring hollow. The kid hadn't been a killer. He could have been talked down. And now he was dead.

What had he become? He stands still, a vacant look in his eyes, leaving Flat Face and Danielle to go after the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Humanity roll if I am correct. (4d10)[2][7][2][4](15)

Edit: I believe that's a loss?
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-12-03 at 03:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Erica, Andrew

Yeah, for all the good it did you, mate... and we aren't exactly here to -hep- you either, aren't we? Amy doesn't raise her hands. If they shoot me, they can't really hurt me, can they? Though I may have to pretend I'm dead, then. Damn masquerade. "So what's your plan, exactly?" She asks in the direction of the moving curtains "Stay here till they come back and finish the job? 'Cause Yuri will, you know he will." Hell, she had seen him for half an hour, and even she knew that. The guy was scary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want to me to roll something? Closest thing I can think could be useful is manipulation+streetwise... to 'speak their language', sort of (6d10)[9][8][5][4][3][2](31)

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Danielle, Rick

Spoiler
    Show
    @Darkseeker: Although I didn't state it directly, Rick is the one who hit the man in the shoulder. Flat Face made the killing shot. Really tired so I'll check the humanity rules in the morning. Without looking at your character sheet first, I'm going to say a humanity role if his humanity is 8 or higher. 7 or lower and I wouldn't worry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for the runner: (5d10)[6][5][3][6][6](26) EDIT: One more for Danielle. Looks like the forum dice roller is being a bit more player friendly.

Danielle chased the runner down the hallway. Frantic, and with some athletic potential themselves, Danielle was only just able to catch them. Danielle's hand grabbed the back of the hoodie. Her fingers slipped, but the tug back was just enough to catch the person off balance as they stumbled forward with a soft grunt. They hit their head hard against the carpetted floor.

Danielle stepped forward but the stranger still had one card left, pulled a small switchblade out, hand trembling. She still couldn't see the person's face.

Rick could only watch in horror as the young man stared off center away from Rick. Then it came. A quiet, cold voice that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once.

"Killer."

Deep down, Rick knew it was not his inner beast that spoke.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-12-04 at 07:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

The guy was decent she admitted ... or she was just not as solid as she would have liked, probably the latter.

"Look I ..." she had been going to say don't want to hurt you but saw the knife.

A month ago she would have moved to disarm him forcefully, a quick stamp on the lower arm would likely do it, but if she lost it like she had with the junkie she might kill him, "Those guys will kill you if you run or threaten them" or if it is easier for them she thought darkly, "I don't intend for that to happen ... and if that means I have to hurt you and drag you back I will", fixing him with a look, "drop the knife and push it away".

She kept her awareness around her in case he attacked, or if she had to.

Spoiler
    Show

Not really expecting this to work but.
    It is a a mix of charisma and strength so I will roll both and average them per the rule on the opening post.
    Strength + Intimidation:(3d10)[5][8][1](14)
    Charisma + Intimidation:(3d10)[7][4][1](12)

Separately if he decides to be unreasonable and combat breaks out.
    Wits + Alertness:(5d10)[1][1][4][5][4](15)

6. - Top - End - #576

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

The word reflected in Rick's head. It was appropriate. Even if he had not killed the man, he had certainly contributed to it.

He shakes off the guilt. What was done was done. He had a job to do. And it was so easy to let the guilt go. He could mourn later. Perhaps.

He picks up his fallen gun and debates who to follow. Deciding Flat Face could handle himself, he starts after Danielle. Hopefully they had not gotten far.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew

Erica tensed at Amy's words. The logical part of her mind knew that it was unlikely anyone would get gunned down in the middle of the street for offering to help, but for some reason, that didn't ease the knot in her stomach at all.

This is the first time I've had a gun pointed at me.

She waited for a few moments for a response, then chanced a smile. Perhaps it wasn't as genuine as it could have been, but from that distance, they shouldn't really be able to tell.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Once again a few moments of silence. "The hell is this, an international convention of idiots? Two of you could of come alone, not gotten the hired help." Unfortunately for Erica, she fell into the non-Caucasian category too. "Hell, may as well come in, all except for the jungle girl."

Iris smiled at Erica. "Looks like you're an acceptabe servant." It was a small jest.

The group walked up towards the door, at Iris sat on the concrete walkway.

When the others got to the door, they could hear at least five separate locks being opened. They were met by the scent of blood, luckily each were well enough fed. A man was standing there, maybe in his mid forties. He was not present at the meeting. He had a brown beard with flecks of grey in it. He looked like the kind of man who was just naturally strong in body. He looked tired. "So, you the cops, or Darwin's people?"

Danielle, Rick

The person didn't respond to Danielle, just slowly scooting away while keeping the the knife levelled, with a hand that was getting a little more steady. It didn't take Rick long to catch up. All he could see was a short person with a hoodie covering their face, trying to move away from Danielle. At least this one only had a small swtichblade, but he knew what one could do.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew

"We're with an investigative agency, yes," Erica replies, pulling out her planner and locking gazes with the man, "tell us what happened here, everything you know or can remember."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mesmerize: Manipulation + Leadership, +2 dice born leader, -2 difficulty enchanting voice.
    (8d10)[2][3][2][3][6][10][2][6](34)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Amy gives an incredulous look to Erica. What the hell is she doing? They're not going to talk to HER. Which part of 'racist scumbags' is so difficult for her to grasp?

"We're not cops" Seriously, do we look like cops? She chimes in, trying to defuse what she perceives at Erica's mistake. "We're with Mi... Mr Darwin, yes." Which means we may be the only excuse for allies you can count on at the moment.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

Crap, time was up, this guy needed to be taken out now before he got his courage and got himself shot.

She attempted to stamp on the arm with the knife while moving to impose herself between Rick and the man in order to prevent a clear shot hopefully he won't just shot through me she thought.

Spoiler
    Show

Dex+Brawl: [rollv]7d10[rollv]
    Speciality would apply, aimed at the arm, diff 7 for the kick, 8 for the aim at the arm. (mathematically a very bad move on my part ... but heh)

Damage: [rollv]3d10[rollv]
    Strength 2, + 1 for it being a kick.

Dodge if needed: [rollv]3d10[rollv]
    Decided that she would not demonstrate any sense and boost dodge with dexterity due to the poor wits roll earlier, expect further repercussions as appropriate.

Stamina: [rollv]4d10[rollv]
    Speciality would apply.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-12-05 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Correcting the italics. And spelling

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lets try that again.
    Dex+Brawl: (7d10)[4][1][5][9][5][7][2](33)
    Speciality would apply, aimed at the arm, diff 7 for the kick, 8 for the aim at the arm. (mathematically a very bad move on my part ... but heh)

Damage: (3d10)[1][9][4](14)
    Strength 2, + 1 for it being a kick.

Dodge if needed: (3d10)[5][6][10](21)
    Decided that she would not demonstrate any sense and boost dodge with dexterity due to the poor wits roll earlier, expect further repercussions as appropriate.

Stamina: (4d10)[5][9][6][2](22)
    Speciality would apply.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

Andrew's gaze flicked nervously at Erica. "Come on, I had this! Not that you would know... Guess I was a bit too subtle." He took a subtle step forward, ready to interpose himself if the man turned violent towards her.

14. - Top - End - #584

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

Rick inwardly cringes when he sees the switchblade. The last one had done quite a number on him. He hesitates in pointing his gun at the man, not entirely comfortable with contributing to a second death this night( or terrifyingly enough, entirely uncomfortable either.) For now, it remains at his side.

He observes Danielle, wondering if she can handle this on her own.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

They walk in. There's some space on an old couch. They can hear faint moaning in another room, probably someone who was shot from earlier. The man sit across from them, arms folded. They can see a couple others, a man and a woman each holding a rifle. They aren't pointed at the kindred, but they're held at the ready.

"Investigative agency?" The man's face contorts slightly, as his innate hatred for agencies countradicts the command given to him. Amy's comment about Mike, and Andrew's awe seems to win him over though.

"So that's what that idiot Darwin calls his group. 'Investigative'." He looks to Andrew, both assuming him to be the leader for being a man, and because he was using presence. "We were still a couple days from pulling out, just like the deal. I was on the other side of town dropping off another trailer of stuff. When I got back..." His hands clenched into fists. "Red bastards made a mess of everything. Got over half of us. Hell got almost all of us. Stormed into the houses two, guns blazing. It's over. Best we can do is find another group with similar morals, or take as many of those bastards down as we can."

Danielle, Rick
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brawl: (1d10)[6](6)
    Damage: (2d10)[6][2](8)
    Soak: (2d10)[3][10](13)
    Dodge: (4d10)[10][9][9][10](38)

Daniellle overextends with her leg and misses. However, she steps to the side as the person throws a haphazard swing. It doesn't look like the know what they're doing. The person is back on their feet, turning to run again...
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-12-05 at 11:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy Andrew

A look of confusion crossed Erica's face as they were invited inside.

That's odd, how did he resist that?

Confusion quickly gave way to relief as he began spilling his guts.

She gave Andrew a brief sidelong glance.

Idiot Erica! Of course, he must have been using Presence. We should have planned better. Of course, if we'd known anyone was still alive... but then again, we should have assumed someone had survived, or was out during the attack.

She settled a half-step back from Andrew, letting the handsome man stand front and center, while the old man told his tale.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-12-06 at 02:18 AM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

[I]Ok, concentrate the guys life might depend on stopping him" he was slippery so she went for a simple hold to take him out without hurting him got to wrap this up before the guy with the gun steps in she thought quickly to herself.

She tried to grab the man from behind to immobilise him.

Spoiler
    Show

A hold. She will use a point of willpower to try and secure him
    Strength + Brawl: (5d10)[1][10][9][8][4](32)
    She will have to get very lucky.
    Damage: None - immobilise the guy.
    Soak (speciality): (4d10)[8][9][9][9](35)
    Dodge: (3d10)[4][6][3](13)

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"Who the hell is Darwin? Guess Amy knows him." Andrew stepped forward slightly, shutting Erica out. "Sorry about that." The man finished his rant. "I'm sorry for your loss." He didn't want to advise white supremacists, so Andrew focused on the details. "You say you were not present at the time of the attack. Would it possible to speak to someone who was, Mister...?" While he awaited the man's name, Andrew looked about the house: low ambient light, dark backgrounds everywhere, paranoid lunatics who might shoot him... "Never thought I'd admit this, but I miss my old job."

19. - Top - End - #589

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

Unable to get a clear shot even if he wanted to, Rick puts the gun away. He sees Danielle struggling with the runner, and attempts to move to intercept him should he break free.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure I can on this turn, but Rick will attempt to grab the guy and hold him if he escapes from Danielle. Roll in ooc by mistake.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-12-06 at 03:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Banned

Faruq

"The measure of each other." was Faruq's reply, not with any particular specials in the way of pronounciation or intonation, no. Just like that. The movement of his eyes that openly betrayed his knowing pleasure at the stated, yet well-veiled untowardness, the mad gleam of excitement as his turn of phrase, might well have been the one thing to betray him. Had he looked at anyone, of course. Thanking Sasha with a dashing smile and heavily-implied light bow, he turned to testing out the trays: The first did taste quite odd, the luscious liquid running down his throat evoking images of long-lost mornings, purring moans and raw, unfiltered lust resounding in a newly-opened grave... The second, just a little better, and this time around there were but the soft pink of supple maidenflesh and the cold gleam of teeth... And with the third, itself a fairly uninspired "I went clubbing!"-thing, the notion of a dead man being loved by living women wasn't all that terribly unusual, quite suddenly having transformed into something so wonderful, so rich in potential, that it made him sigh.

He thus enjoyed his drink. All of it. Rather swiftly, almost horribly and obviously greedy(/-ily?), come to think of it. I did. Flashes of imagined memories, of life so rich in facets and in specialties that yes, perhaps his own would almost seem a little quaint - and little - by comparison... and realised with that how wonderful his fate of drinking blood willingly given(!) had turned out to be. And even then, he figured, shuddering at the hint of twisted pleasure, perverse love of self-emaciation and black lace the fourth glass gave, he had been invited, and it was all good. It felt alright. It would forever be his drug from here on out. But there were things to do.

"I reckon, Sean, I reckon that it is." You fantasising there, big buddy? Well let's see what happens when we ride that out. Just as a prank, you see? Of course you do.The young Arab, still looking back at his host over his left shoulder, provocatively swaying his ass about and drinking lovingly, felt like replying and thus did. "And I will not make that mistake again from here on out. But this is one last quite important thing." His gaze, seductive in a measure usually reserved for nice young gentlewomen of good taste, turned into a hurt mope, his lips still so red and bloody reluctantly parting to bare one single fang as he went on: "Which of the kindred of this town you know are fluent in Arabic? I must know."

Spoiler
    Show
    Long story short, he's trying to kiss up to Sean a little to distract some minor bit of painful knowledge on someone else out of him. Basically playing along for now in a non-stressful manner and get the talk long, intense, and informational.

Also, he's used to fantasising about drugs. Hence why I have him kinda trip down the Memory Lanes of the "donors" as he consumes the gift. Hope you don't mind?
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-12-06 at 06:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

"Fluent you ask? No don't your Englishman is, but that's not what you want to here, is it? You can be certain the Josef Kirsch knows enough, if not before, then after he began his plot for revenge against Assad.

"Besides that, probably very few. Henry may know it given all the child does is study linguistics and the occult. Perhaps one or two others have picked up a phrase here or there. It's not widely spoken mind you. Careful though. Just because someone doesn't understand Arabic doesn't mean they can't find someone who does. Remember that one too Faruq. No use spending centuries on swordplay when you can have a Brujah spill blood for you. No need to learn how to slip into the shadows if you can let someone else stick their neck out. Admittedly though, you'll have to prove yourself first though, as we elders will have you doing some of our more dangerous work, at least for a bit."

He gave a mirthful laugh.

Amy, Andrew, Erica

"Red Elman." The man looked over his shoulder. "Hey Jill, get over here!"

A woman who looked to be a poor thirty or a decent forty, stepped forward. She was clearly a heavy smoker by the rings under her eyes. "I can here you. Not much to say really. Saw 'em bust down Charlie's place next door. They was in there for at least a few minutes. Shot up our place good too, but seemed like they was on a schedule. Hauled out afterwards. Bunch of men is suits, like you see in the movies."

Danielle, Rick

This time Danielle was ready, and she tackled the person. Rick was there in a second, his foot stepping on their hand holding the knife.

The person gave a yelp. "Damnit! Damnit!" It was clearly a female voice.

When they turned her face up, and pulled the knife away, they saw it was a young woman, or perhaps an old girl, around twenty years or so. Fairly plain looking, with dark hair, and brown eyes that stared at them with anger. "Go ahead! Kill me! Like I care!" She spat on Rick's pants leg.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

Holding her securely she tested for a pulse, was the woman turned she hoped not.
    "Calm down" she tried to keep her own voice level "I told you that I don't intend for you to die", she fixed Rick with a look "and I meant it".

Considering, "We need to know where Desmund is, or where he likely is, what you are doing here, who that guy back there was, what you know about Desmund, and what you know about us", she suspected that the end was very little but if Desmund had enemies the woman might assume that they were them.
    "You tell us that and there is an ok chance that I might be able to help you here", she couldn't promise anything on that but the odds in the woman's favour increased slightly if she cooperated, "and don't bother with the no idea what I am talking about line you are hanging out in an abandoned motel with a man with a shotgun expecting trouble, even if some of the stuff I listed is new to you you can fill me on on yourself and your friend and what you are doing here".

"Your name also please".

Spoiler
    Show

To see if the woman is still alive.
    Perception+Medicine:(4d10)[9][4][6][10](29)

To get the woman to open up.
    Charisma+Empathy:(3d10)[9][5][6](20)

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Erica, Amy, Andrew

She was about to speak, but remembered the bigotry these people had shown earlier.

Maybe it's best to take a back seat this time.

She instead focused on the conversation and the mannerisms of the people, looking for holes or anything left unsaid.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #594

DrowGuy

Rick and Danielle

"Hey! I like these pants!" Rick angrily replies.

He watches Danielle, impressed with how the teen is handling the situation. However, the look she gives him brings back the guilt. Truthfully, he wasn't sure they could afford to keep the girl alive. But he prayed to God they could find a way. The last thing he wanted was another death on his conscience.

He remains quiet, deciding anything he said would only escalate the situation.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew, Amy, Erica

"Useless witnesses. Now I know why Julie always bitches about work. Interesting though, that they didn't stick around to finish the job." Andrew cleared his throat. "So, the Russians didn't come in here, then? ...Would it be possible for us to take a look around next door?" Perhaps a crime scene would be able to fill in the details that these yokels could not.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Amy, Andrew, Erica

Red nodded. "Right, you all go ahead. Door's unlocked, what's left of it anyways." He gave ahrd look at Andrew. "You remember that they broke the deal. Our word is our bond. You make those bastard pay y'here? You see that everyoe of 'em gets sent to Hell."

They could see the intensity of the others. Frustrated because their credo demanded revenge, but even they knew they was absolutely nothing they could do.

Iris looked up, and smiled at the group as they were walking out. "That didn't take long, and no gunshots either. I have to say you're all doing better than I did my first time. "Shall we?"

The house next door was a mess in the front, broken glass, bullet holes. It looked like sloppy work, at least on the outside. The group stepped into the house one by one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to say any parting words. Just trying to bump the story along just a bit.

Roll perecption + investigation to see what you find. You can change investigation with other things like occult if you're looking for the supernatural, or alertness if you're checking to see if anyone's still there. One roll for now though.

Danielle, Rick

She opened up all right. The words that came from her mouth would have made a drunken band of sailors blush. After her series of expletives concerning the elaborate way she wanted Danielle to die, and questioning Rick's manhood in several ways, she offered a bit more. "I know what you all are! You're ghouls, or vampires, or something else! Desmund isn't here! I don't know where he is, but he'll find each and every one of you and kill you! Now let me go! Let me go!"

She was indeed alive. Her hair was short, and messy, and died black. She might have been a little pretty, not much, but a little if she dressed in something other than street thug clothes.

"You killed Steven! He had Desmund's blood, but you still killed him?" Tears started to form in her eyes, though her voice stayed angry and defiant. "You're all monsters! You're making him do these things! He doesn't want to do it, but he had to! He has to stop you!"

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Erica, Andrew

I wouldn't count on it. Amy thinks when the man talks of 'making people pay'. From what Mike said, I wouldn't count on it at ALL. Worse yet, she's not even sure how she feels about it. Those guys weren't exactly shining beacons of the community.

She choses not to think about it at the moment and follows the others to the next door, remembering to put on the gloves she bought.
    She makes a small noise in the back of her throat, halfway between disgust and distress. Com'on, Amy, don't be squeamish. This is exactly like when you went looking into Miss Tremblay's trash because you has a hunch about her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+investigation (6d10)[9][7][5][1][10][9](41)

EDIT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, good. Remember my specialty, please.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-12-08 at 04:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle and Rick

Her grip tightened on the woman, she knew to much ... she was alive so nothing would be protecting her even a little from Flat Face, and she was hysterical with good reason which wouldn't help her.

"I am not letting you go" her voice was crisp, I want to but I can't, "Steven is dead nothing can help him now, but we might be able to help you", something she desperately wanted to find a way to do, ok a mortal knows about us ... that means death ... unless they are a ghoul.

"Tell us about yourself, Steven and Desmund is there anyone else, you say that he didn't want to do these things but that his hand was forced, what or who forced it. When did this start?"

That wasn't to bad, the woman described me dying and I didn't lose it she had avoided the wild claims of vampires and the like, and had a way the woman might be able to survive.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica moved to follow the others out the door, but as she reached the threshold, she stopped and looked back at the people who'd lost so much.

"I'm sorry for your loss," she said, then turned quickly to follow the others.

She pulled on her gloves and cautiously entered the house, the aged wooden floors creaking with what seemed to be ear splitting noise. She looked around a bit, wishing she'd thought to bring a flashlight.

Spoiler
    Show

perception + investigation: (5d10)[10][5][10][10][10](45)
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew

"I'll see what can be done," Andrew replied. Their next assignment could very well be to kill every last Russian, but it wasn't likely. He followed the ladies into the house next door, donning his own pair of gloves. Andrew wasn't an investigator by trade, but augmentation of his senses could make up for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Heightened Senses.

Per+Inv: (3d10)[1][4][5](10)

Per+Aler: (general lookout for danger) (6d10)[4][1][9][6][4][10](34)

EDIT: Good thing Heightened Senses lowers difficulty for Perception rolls. I don't know what a botched Investigation check looks like, but I don't wanna find out.
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-12-08 at 02:43 PM.