New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738
Results 1,111 to 1,133 of 1133
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Danielle

She couldn't risk her apartment if it was being watched, but there was little enough there anyway, so instead she moved to a bench and began to write in French.

---------------------
    Mom,

I have been having some problems in life recently - as you know, and they have left me a bit of a mess. I would prefer to speak in person but I can't right now. I have decided to disappear for a while, maybe go to Los Angeles maybe San Fran, or elsewhere I don't know yet.
    I will try to call every now and than to make sure you know I am ok, don't worry to much I just need to find myself I think.

Love,
    Danielle

---------------------

She stalled at the post box for a while second guessing herself before pushing it in.
    There it is done.

The letter would throw off a hunter, and would also mean that any vampires who thought to harm the woman might know that an angry caitiff with nothing to lose might come back - and they already had one of those around without needing more problems.

With that done she moved off to the underground, she had wanted a map of station locations and line intersections but it had been a bit of a high hope.

Fortunately this meant she could map it herself, and maybe use it for traps and for escape if needed - probably more realistic than a climactic battle in an abandoned warehouse done up to be a death trap - she smirked at herself.

She would have to hid the bike, but a parking lot of the station would sort that for a night, for now she needed somewhere out of the way and safe.

It had been a long night and she should rest soon she supposed, an abandoned storage area with hiding space would work. She could hope for a series of caves that had been uncovered during the build work and than forgotten about - but she likely didn't have that luck.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

What the hell is everyone HIGH on, today? Amy doesn't really leave time to her mind to come up with anything more intelligent than that before she opens her mouth. "What?! I wouldn't hurt Mike or Slick!" She bites her tongue just before adding the rest of the sentence. What the **** are you on about? It is perfectly clear from her expression that she's thinking it, though.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica walked to the table, looking at Josef as she did so.
    Although she sought some kind of approval from her sire, so long as Josef did not indicate otherwise, she would do as Ahmad asked. She also took the time to organize her thoughts. No reason to lie here, unless Josef gave her a sign.

Erica sat down at Josef’s right, partially because it was closer to the door, and partially because it was at the right-hand of her sire, and straightened her suit before beginning.

“Faruq,” she started, “he is..”

She stared at Ahmad’s neck.

“He is the walking definition of wasted potential,” she said, “he is reckless, to the point of being foolhardy. He wants the reward but he does not want to put in the work required to attain it. He has an overinflated opinion of his own importance, most likely due to a life of suffering few consequences for his actions, though that may be changing."

She remembered Faruq getting his tongue cut out on the night they met.

"Beneath the bluster and bravado, however, is someone who desperately wishes to be recognized and admired," she continued, "he may get there one day, but not without growing up a little bit, if he doesn’t get himself killed first, that is.”

"No offense to you, sir," she added.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Danielle
    Spoiler
    Show
    All right, roll survival + wits, and roll a separate 1d10 for secret reasons. The survival + wits will determine how comfortable you can get there this first night, the second roll won't matter unless you get a 1 or 10.

Amy

"Wouldn't you?" It was a leading question, the kind that a mother would give when scolding a child. "Mike has been neglecting in his teachings. Has he not told you that we drink blood from men and women? Has he not told you about the Beast that dwells within us, that will violently lash out if provoked? You speak as if you are in complete control over yourself. You are not."

Donovon gestured for Amy to sit down, continuing to speak either way. "You are in possession of a rare discipline, one that our clan is not supposed to know. You used it on your two sire and clanmate last night. There is no other explanation. Do you not feel it? The madness within you?"

Erica

Ahmad nodded thoughtfully, and Erica could see his younger companion smile, though it was not a friendly smile. "No offense taken young woman. I asked for your honest opinion and you gave it." He leaned forward, looking at her, but addressing Josef. "This is why so many of my clan fall against yours, perhaps one of the fundamental reasons my grandsire and his ilk lost the anarch revolt. They thought the Ventrue a clan of weak, pandering fools, not understanding that such weaklings were culled from yours ranks early on leaving only true leaders."

His eyes stayed fastened of Erica, no longer blinking. "Truly so much would have been better if both you and Miss Forrest had accepted final death, but life if cruel to me indeed. I think I may stay in this city for a few more weeks, try to understand it better. I do have my concerns though. Are you aware that there is Sabbat movement in one of the outlying towns?"

Josef arched his eyebrow.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2013-07-25 at 06:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Thank you, Donovon, I was trying NOT to think about the drinking blood thing. This time, Amy takes a while to answer, sitting down like Donovon has asked her to. There had been something, hadn't there? The other something that she had tried very hard not to think about.

"I..." She hesitates "Yesterday, before... er... Before all the mess happened, when I was with Slick, I..." What had it been? An illusion? A flashback? "I... Er... I don't know what happened, but it felt like... It felt like it was the night I d-died again". She takes a deep breath Keep it together, you wuss. "What did I do?" And how do I make it not happen again?

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Moving in she considered her problems - maintenance crews finding her, rats eating her, getting hit by a train, kids exploring noting her, needing a dry place for clothes, hopefully getting a bike stored, easy access in and out of the place without security bothering her ... the list went on.

Still every problem was also protection from others.

Spoiler
    Show

Wits + Survival: (4d10)[6][7][5][1](19)
    Strange d10: (1d10)[5]

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

She had not been asked a direct question and so she stayed silent.

Sabbat? Here? So the warehouse wasn't just a test for no reason. Wait, does Jean even know? Maybe Ahmad is bluffing? But to what end? Too many unknowns.

Unable to come to any conclusions on her own, Erica moved her attention to Ahmad himself. His mannerisms, the way he moved, the way he spoke, subtle clues in his accent. She had seen Josef play the game before, at her presentation, but the man who sat before her had orchestrated the death of the city's last Prince, and here now was a rare opportunity to observe two masters at work.

If he stops looking at her, Erica will divert her attention to his associate, Ahmad's second. What was his role, she wondered, and how could Josef be so confident that he would choose to enter into a room with the two of them alone?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

There was no empathy in Donovon's eye. "You used a discipline that is not inherent to our clan. You've seen by now the differences? The Asian girl can control people to do her will with a look and word. You can hide in the shadows at a whim. Causing madness in others though? That belongs to Clan Malkavian, Cassidy's clan." She shuffled forward. "Tell me, how close have you been to the Scourge?"

Danielle

She finds a place to stay, it's smelly, dank, but it will serve. No one will come here by accident, and no one bit of sunlight will come. Sleep takes Danielle until a new night arises.

Spoiler
    Show
    3XP

Erica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Empathy for more details if you would like them.

Ahmad appears as a lion, proud and fierce, and at the moment he looks as if he would greatly enjoying striking at Josef, but keeps himself in check.

The other one... yes, he was very handsome indeed. It's pretty clear he would not be here if it was not for Ahmad, the younger (or older?) man wanting little part in this.

Josef maintained his composure. "If you expected an attack, you would not be here. I take it to mean it is in the early stages... or you are playing me the fool."

Ahmad shrugged. "You can decide."

Josef nodded in agreement. "Is there anything else, or may I speak with my childe?"

The Assamite smiled at that, his eyes still on her. "Erica Lee, since I have troubled you with my staring, let me offer you to ask me any one question in return. I will answer it to the best of my ability. Well, any question that does not completely compromise me or mine."

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy throws Donovon a confused look. The answer to that particular question, is, of course, as far away as I reasonably could. The guy is creepy.

"I saw him the night I was embraced, at the Primogen table" Amy shakes her head "And that's it, I never spoke to him"

She frowns. "You mean that he did something to me?" Perfect, just perfect. Why can't those hundreds-years-old perverts leave her the hell alone, instead of toying with her? "Why me, I didn't even frigging LOOK at him!"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-07-26 at 01:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Well not ideal, but with a lick of paint and some elbow grease ... it would still be a hole. She folded her clothes away to try and avoid dampness stains for when she slept - invest in a rucksack, possible one big enough to sleep in.

Slept took her quickly despite the conditions.

She woke refreshed for the first time in a long time, not immediately ravenous and with no visions - sure the conditions were not ideal, but now she could map this place out better.

Ok job one food, she needed to keep focus.

Not her normal places - she had been a fool last night - no a dank crowded nightclub with churning bodies, easily forgettable faces and a reluctance to speak to the cops - exactly the kinds of places she would avoid normally would be a good hunting ground.

But it was two early for that, so firstly she needed to explore this place properly and get setup a bit better.
    Moving out she went to buy two rucksacks, and a flash-light with batteries, and a scissors. It was fortunate she was paid last night.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Ask him about the former Prince? No, that's a dead issue, and might annoy Josef. Throw his question back at him, what does he think of Faruq? No, that doesn't get me anything. What's his greatest fear? No, he wouldn't give me anything substantial...

Erica paused for a moment in thought.

He's got knowledge, centuries of experience, bet he would do some things differently if he could go back... what's his greatest regret? Meh, too cliché.

"If you could go back in time and give yourself advice, say, a few days after your Embrace, what would you tell yourself?" she asked.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"No, he did not. At least it doesn't seem to be the case. Tell me, if I were to tell you the two dogs mated, what do you think the bitch would give birth to? Hm?" She leaned in closer. Amy could smell Donovon, a dank, wet, earthly smell.

Danielle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will need another wits + survival, and the d10 again.

The caves were vast, and intertwined, far more than Danielle would have guessed. Much of it was manmade, but some of it wasn't. It's not as if the whole city would have fit below, but she found there were few parts a person would have to squeeze to get through. As Danielle journeyed around below, she could tell more and more that it was unlikely that she was the only creature that stumbled upon it.

Erica

The Assamite's eyes narrowed, his dark skin seeming to have a shadow come over it. "I believe I would have told myself to leave my wife and child, before I frenzied and murdered them." He stood up. "I cannot say it has been a pleasure Josef, but you've convinced me to see this foolish plan of yours through for the time being."

He stepped away, heading out of the room, with the other one behind him, neither bothering to look back.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She was somewhat concerned, if someone else was down here that the place was compromised - on the other hand it could be a good place to hid and abandon enemies stalking her.

If she didn't get lost herself, that was.

She stopped herself more than once when the light caught something, her imagination thinking ghosts and monsters - she touched the knife more than once for partial reassurance.

She was not the only person hiding after all, encountering the Jackal or Desmund down here would be ... a likely unfortunate event, encountering something unknown might be worse.

But still the plan to hid out was not made worse by it being a good hiding place after all.

Spoiler
    Show

Wits+Survival: (4d10)[24]
    Strange d10: (1d10)[4]

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy has to really, really take a deep breath and remind herself to shut up and try and be polite, and especially not blurt out the first thing that has come into her mind, which was Who the **** are you calling a bitch, you ****? But that might have just been an instinctive reaction that comes with having lived for more than four years in Rowen Street.

"Puppies" she grounds out, and then, because she's tired of being left to guess "What's your point?"

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

Danielle

Danielle explores the underground, there is much to see and Danielle can tell early on she could easily spend a year here and not see everything. Tunnels turn and twist and feed into each other, some have not been used for some time, others seem to show mankind's touch from different decades. For a couple hours she navigates the tunnels around her, getting a solid feel for what it's like in case her new resting place is threatened. There is nothing extremely out of the ordinary though, no indication of anything supernatural. She can remain underground for a time, but will eventually have to go to the surface to feed.

Amy

Donovon's eyes glow brighter. "Incorrect. The bitch gave birth to a kitten." The words came out very matter of fact. "Now what do you say? What do you do with the dog who birthed it? What do you do with the kitten that should in fact be a dog?"

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

So, apparently, the bitch is not herself, it's Mike. No really any point in getting mad on Mike's behalf, though. And there are more important things on the table.

For frig sake, stop beating around the frigging bush. Amy's getting pretty fed up of metaphors, and hinting, and saying without saying. She's going to say things EXACTLY how they are. "I've had it up to here, Donovon. You need to tell me something, talk STRAIGHT to me".

"And you wanna have a problem with me fine, but leave Mike the frig out of this". Should she say the rest? Yes, she decides, yes she should. Not like she has a great deal to lose "You chose me cause you needed me. That's still on the table, I can do the job as a puppy, a kitten or a frigging flying monkey. That's not on the table anymore, YOU frigging tell me what you gonna do".

She takes a breath. There it is. Hopefully, Donovon will take the hint and cut to the point. Amy supposes she should probably be scared. If I stop and think about it, I'll probably piss myself. She realises. So don't think about it another thought counteracts. Amy decides that's sensible advice.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-08-07 at 01:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

There was no mistaking it, the sound coming from Donovon was a laugh, a terrible, mocking, grating laugh.

"Oh so young, so tender of heart. Speak straight she says, tell her what I'll do? Onlyfools speak straight!" The way she said "fools" sounded venomous, even for Donovon.

"Our kind live by secrets, whelp. If a kine asks you to have lunch, do you talk straight to them and admit you can't because the sun will turn you to ash? If someone compliments your hair, do you remove the mask to show them the monster you are? If one of the other fledglings ask what disciplines you know, do you just tell them exposing your limits and abilities to the entire city?"

Donovon turned her back to Amy. "Straight you say? So be it girl, I'll tell you. You are an anomaly. You understand a discipline that does not belong to you. It's something your sire, or his sire, or her sire, or the next one doesn't know, nor should they. There is much of our condition that cannot be explained, try as some might, but there are certain knowns, and you contradict one of them. Dementation, the power you used on Mike and Slick, belong to Clan Malkavian an no other." She turned her head around, her eye narrowed. "When such rules are broken, it speaks of dark times to come. "If you tell any other outside the Nosferatu about what you did, what you can do, they will kill you. They will kill you because you are different, they will do so because they do not understand, and we will let them because we will not sacrifice ourselves for you."

Donovon looked away. "Be mad if you want. Shout about how life isn't fair. Condemn our kind for being stupid and shortsighted. Know that there is something wrong within you though."

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy gives Donovon an incredulous look. "I'm not going to whine that life isn't fair" She has pretty much known that since she was fourteen. "You're telling me that I'm on my own, welcome to my friggin' WORLD. You ain't giving me any news I didn't know.".

She takes a breath. 'But you have got to be kidding me, Donovon. You want me NOT to talk to Cassidy about it? I hurt Mike and Slick, for frig sake! I need to know how not to do it again!"

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

Erica Lee

The young woman watched the two Arab men leave.

"What has happened?" she asked.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"Have you forgotten he is the Scourge? Given reign to destroy that which threatens us? Who is to say the interpretations of a lunatic? He may treat you as his own daughter. He may try to destroy you. I do not know which is worse." Donovon sounded tired. "Turn you bitterness into a dagger girl, right now you use it as chains. You seem to yell at everyone. If you truly despise a rival, speak sweetly to them, and stab them in the back. All your arguments now will do is push others away for very little gain." Donovon began shuffling away. "Do as you will."

Erica

"We will find out. Ahmad decided to make the trip here with his childe. Mostly we talked business, a little about you, a bit more about Faruq. I would not concern yourself with either, focus on the company."

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Plenty of room, view isn't great, price is right, ceilings can be a bit low, acoustics are good, facilities are poor, security can be improved she smiled trying to consider it like getting a flat ... "I'll take it" she said to herself, her voice light - it was better than she had expected - even if she would need to try and map it all out or at least the bits for piece of mind.

She was hungry again, not in any way that would cause her alarm - but in a few days it would, and after last night she didn't want to wait like that again - not a small part of that was not about how she needed to and was instead about how she wanted to - it was a feeling of longing for the sensation that she had no framework for in her previous life.

There was also the matter of Desmund, he wasn't down here - seemingly, and he wasn't generating missing person reports consistently, and he wanted to have an attack force - in case he had any master plan.

The smart move might be to create a series of ghouls from down and outs, junkies, war veterans, prostitutes, disillusioned kids. Arm them up while maintaining trust, and than loosing them at your hated enemies - everything works fine and you wipe out a lot of the enemy, everything doesn't and it might look like a Sabbat attack - making you less of a priority, and possible attracting the attention of that group where a caitiff might be able to be better off, if they were indeed mostly younger. Assuming you could tolerate associating with people that felt that murdering you and dumping you in a mass grave was a fun hazing party - although that might be an exaggeration her sources might be biased.

Still that meant that he would not be hitting high brow establishments, and would want somewhere he could easily blend - a rave perhaps, or an underground metal bar where people hid from their parents and everyone was high or doped anyway, easy to feed - easy to tell stories to agreeable people.

And if he meet her - while recruitment might be something he would consider, after all she was hardly a member of the establishment herself - and he would be safe behind his people, any meeting would likely be on his terms, especially if he was as good at obfuscate as people mentioned.

Moving out she choose her clothes carefully, not that she had much to work with at the moment - focusing on trying to look somewhat out of place (which shouldn't be hard) but also interesting she went with pigtails, a shirt and pants, leaving the jacket behind. Tomorrow she might try to get some more money and go clothes shopping along with some other more generic household supplies.

Taking the bike she moved to where the the kids in school had always indicated was a rough area, with loud music and plenty of drugs - the kind of places she would never have been seen in a fit two months ago, hopefully she could get some food here, not step on any toes and maybe even get a lead on Desmund.

With a somewhat clear path to follow she was actually feeling happy enough.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Speak sweetly. Donovon seems to have a different person in mind. And, as she expected, Donovon has heard about her shouting at Mike. Well, if people around here didn’t keep acting like idiots, I would have no reason to yell, wouldn't I?

Amy decides that there's no point in pointing that out. "I'll think about it" she says simply, stiffly.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's going to have a chat with Mike about it, actually, soon as she can.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Yes Mr. Kirsch," Erica replied, "we are stabilizing. I'm hoping to return to profitability by the end of the quarter."

She paused.

"What does it mean for us if the Sabbat are establishing a foothold in the town?" she asked.
    TC for short