New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

Its The End Of The Snark As We Know It And I Feel Fine

The Snark is dead! Long live the Snark!

Well, everybody, this is it. The 50th thread on Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, and it will surely quite probably be a shambling corpse of a thread. But that's okay, because now that the comic has ended, it too is a shambling corpse (up until yesterday's update it was shambling, but technically not a corpse).

According to the Chronology, we've put in 2754 pages of work into this comic, which is almost as many as Mookie did (I shall leave it to you, the snarkers, to infer what you will from that). Just because the comic is over does not mean that we don't have more to say. We all have our final thoughts to put in, rehashing of old issues with the comic, and just plain community togetherness to engage in. It's been a great trip we've made together.

But just because Mookie is done with Dominic Deegan, that doesn't mean we're done with Mookie. Check out Star Power for more of Mookie's writing. The art is easier on the eyes, but that's because Mookie isn't doing the art. Will he improve as a writer? Debatable (probably not). New ways to fail? Already underway - see the lorem ipsum.

With what is probably our last thread, I just want to paraphrase Walter Cronkite here as we bid farewell to Dominic Deegan. And that's the snark.

Snark Chronology (Snarkhronology)

Spoiler
    Show
    Thread I - Oct 31 2006 to Aug 9 2007 - 77 pages, the first half of which actually contained praise yet. Then Snowsong came about...
    Thread II - Aug 8 2007 to Jun 10 2008 - the epic one, 301 pages, OVER NINE THOUSAAAND posts. Here the foundations of Domiology - our snarky fanon - were created.
    Thread III - 10 Jun 2008 to Aug 12 2008 - 63 pages of snarky goodness, first one to contain the archives in the first post.
    Thread IV - Aug 12 2008 to Sept 20 2008 - 50 pages, the one that carried us through the first half of the horrid Vacation Arc and brought the first actual fans into our threads (of course, their resolve starts to falter by now )
    Thread V - Sept 20 2008 to Oct 18 2008 - 50 pages, the Vacation Arc continues to our unimaginable horror.
    Thread VI - Oct 18 2008 to Nov 11 2008 - 50 pages, the final part of the vacation. So much to be learnt about walls and limbs; knowledge that Mookie, unfortunately, shall never possess.
    Thread VII - 10 Nov 2008 to Dec 1 2008 - 50 pages, finally the Plot Creature caught up - but what has Mookie done to Celesto and TIM?
    Thread VIII - Dec 1 2008 to Dec 23 2008 - 51 pages, wherein Dex rises from the dead and we are introduced to Sn'gl'euth'u, the cutest extradimensional Lovecraftian being since Hello Cthulhu.
    Thread IX - Dec 23 2008 to Feb 20 2009 - 50 pages, which taught us that orcs not only have despicable traditions, they are also completely insane.
    Thread X - Feb 20 2009 to Apr 5 2009 - 50 pages, which taught us that orcs are not only completely insane, they are actually crazy enough to make Cthulhu roll Sanity checks!
    Thread XI - Apr 5 2009 to May 1 2009 - 51 pages, in which the orcs are at their height of insanity (going one step beyond), Luna is the designated Messiah of Everything and that tusks make you speshul.
    Thread XII - May 1 2009 to Jun 6 2009 - 50 pages, where the orcs, after reaching the height of insanity previously, find ways to fly to entirely new planes of mind-crushing madness, sufficient to warp their plain to the size of a backyard and time to freeze, as nothing interesting happens at all.
    Thread XIII - Jun 6 2009 to July 9 2009 - 50 pages, where the orcs continue to plumb the bottomless depths of inanity. Oh, and insanity too. Meanwhile, Luna discovers a new Sue power: inflicting the worst monologues ever on hapless readers. Also, Jacob is evil.
    Thread XIV - July 9 2009 to Aug 6 2009 - 50 pages, where we are still occupied with Orcs. Orcs. Orcs, everywhere! Oh gods, is this arc not going to end ever?! I repent, Mookie! I repent! Just make it stop! Make it stooooop!
    Thread XV - Aug 6 2009 to Sept 7 2009 - 50 pages, with Orcs, who do Orc things and KILL THEM, KILL ALL THE ORCS, EXTERMINATE THEM, SO THIS HORROR CAN END!
    Thread XVI - Sept 7 2009 to Sept 26 2009 - 50 pages. Do I have to tell you what it was about at this point anymore? You have three guesses. And the first two don't count.
    Thread XVII - Sept 26 2009 to Oct 20 2009 - 51 pages. The Orcs are still insane, and in this thread, they managed to temporarily infect us. Among the results are a debate about relativism and many pictures of various cute, funny, and weird animals. There also was a decapitation. It was metal.
    Thread XVIII - Oct 20 2009 to Nov 19 2009 - 50 pages, in which the March Through Maltak continues against logic, reason, good taste and sanity. Also including attempts at a non-lethal battle and awesome plot twists(Dominic fixes everything!)
    Thread XIX - Nov 19 2009 to Dec 15 2009 - 50 pages. The Battle At the Bikta Sanctuary is trudging along, with consistency and logic being casualties.
    Thread XX - Dec 15 2009 to Jan 14 2010 - 50 pages, where many lessons are learned: Never trust a bard, rain solves everything, and a stunning revelation by a necromancer so important it's the next thread title.
    Thread XXI - Jan 14 2010 to Feb 25 2010 - 51 pages. Now that events have been set into motion that may affect the destiny of the entire world, we get to see Nimmel and his crazy college shenanigans!
    Thread XXII - Feb 25 2010 to Mar 31 2010 - 51 pages, where Nimmel fully ascends into the First Caste, donning the Mantle of Sue that he might make us all immune to boobs.
    Thread XXIII - March 31 2010 to May 9 2010 - 50 pages. After Talking to one tentacled creature about another, Mamma Deegan returns home, and Greg starts a band.
    Thread XXIV - May 9, 2010 to June 9, 2010 - 50 pages. Greg's band is so meh it's un-****ing believable.
    Thread XXV - June 9, 2010 to July 22, 2010 - 51 pages. The strange ecology of the Wild Edge Territory, and the stranger behavior of the Callanians living there. If there's a keyword, it's "random". Also, inappropriate names for creatures.
    Thread XXVI - July 22, 2010 to Sept. 6 2010 - 50 pages. Stunt's stunts in the Wild Edge show a stunting of character and such stunted emotional capacity that he probably suffers from stunt. Also, Celesto meditates naked.
    Thread XXVII - Sept. 6, 2010 to Oct. 6, 2010 - 50 pages. The comic goes to hell. Again. Siegfried returns and shouts a lot.
    Thread XXVIII - Oct. 6, 2010 to Oct. 27, 2010 - 50 pages. Curly has exploded at the end of the War in Hell just like a soul. Now, on to a trial.
    Thread XXVIIIS - Nov. 6, 2010 to Nov. 7, 2010 - 1 page. Wherein a true fan who has made it as far as Storm of Souls, makes a thread.
    Thread XXIX - Oct. 27 2010 to Dec. 2, 2010 - 50 pages. The "trial" is just a veiled excuse to have Bulgak grow wings on his head and look into goalposts that show him important events in his past.
    Thread XXX - Dec. 2, 2010 to January 1, 2011 - 51 pages. Bulgak goes boom. Filler. Then nothing happens except Curly's marathon readthrough of Maltak.
    Thread XXXI - Jan. 1, 2011 to January 21, 2011 - 50 pages. Dominic and Luna finally show up, and then we get an arc about plastic surgery.
    Thread XXXII - Jan. 22, 2011 to Feb. 18, 2011 - 50 Pages. Luna is great. So great. Also: Snuggly joins the Loony Toons.
    Thread XXXIII - Feb. 19, 2011 to Mar. 24, 2011 - 50 pages. Snuggly is allergic to shellfish. Facebath returns to sing songs about how Luna is so great.
    Thread XXXIV - Mar. 24, 2011 to April 19, 2011 - 50 pages. Snuggly kills an all-powerful archmage and no one is too concerned about it. Also, we met King DJ.
    Thread XXXV - April 19, 2011 to May 23, 2011 - 50 pages. Dominic must find Celesto for no reason in particular. The Battlecasters are spying on all Second Sight, everywhere.
    Thread XXXVI - May 24, 2011 to June 24, 2011 - 50 pages. Dominic visits his old friend Szark. Together, they uncover the dark secret of two teenagers who, brace yourself, are trapped in a vicious cycle of bullying. Holy moly! The world-destroying abomination is assumed to still be relevant, but not even Dominic knows why.
    Thread XXXVII - June 24, 2011 to August 7, 2011 - 50 pages. Dominic strips naked and drives a small child insane while Szark prevents anyone from helping the kid.
    Thread XXXVIII - August 7, 2011 to September 14, 2011 - 51 pages. Dominic pulls out some old tricks and some new ones, we're all totally confused, and then we're smacked with a one-two punch of Smug and Great.
    Thread XXXIX - September 15, 2011 to October 19, 2011 - 50 pages. Luna and Greg go to an art gallery, some stuff with battlecasters happens, somehow we manage to draw this out for fifty pages.
    Thread XL - October 19, 2011 to November 22, 2011 - 50 pages. The budding love between Gregory and some battlecaster whose name nobody cares about and the union between a toast and a lizard showed us that love conquers all. A guitar will do just as well, though.
    Thread XLI- 22nd November, 2011 to December 22nd, 2011 - 50 pages. Some guy grows a moustache in the finest example of character development so far. Luna blubbers away because she loves Dominic -who deigns to tolerate her display- so much, showing how far the author thinks she's come as a character. Mookie and Luna get married, the latter against her will and a tiny explosion signals the end times.
    Thread XLII - 22nd December 2011 to 6th February 2012 - 50 pages. The Infernomancer is back! The King's nefarious plan is going to fruition! This cannot stand, so the plot is thwarted by instead deciding to follow Jayden's quest of redemption for the sin of having cheated on her violent, emotion-crazed beastman of a boyfriend. Because it's totally what's important.
    Thread XLIII - 6th February 2012 to 20th March 2012 - 50 pages. Still on the adventures of Stunt in the desert. Uh, what? Jayden who? Who said anything about Jayden?
    Thread XLIV 20th March 2012 to 18th May 2012 - 51 pages. You'd think archmages, who are recognized as the most powerful mortal movers and shakers of the known universe, would be such pathetic combatants?
    Thread XLV: 18th May 2012 to 24 July 2012 - 50 pages. 'Splosions, 'splosions everywhere, and Nimmel's in the air. 'Splosions, 'splosions everywhere, and only dead Bumper (and not of explosion either!).
    Thread XLVI: July 24th 2012 to October 18th 2012 - 51 pages. Most notable here is how long it took us to fill 50 pages this time. That is mainly because during these months Mookie mainly filled his pages with white noise in white voids. Then there was a flashback revealing the king to be behind everything bad and trying to help his eyeballs eat most of the world so Callan could keep the magic star (because he is racist), Mookie jumped on the zombie bandwagon, Dominic surrendered himself to stop it, Celesto was a bird (again) and trust me, this wouldn't make more sense if it was explained in detail.
    Thread XLVII: October 18th to January 28th 2013 - 51 pages. This thread took even longer to fill then the previous. The comic keeps setting up the grand final, but nothing really happens. The parade of former minor roles who return continues.
    Thread XLVIII: January 23rd to April 2 2013 - 51 pages. Weeeee are sloooowly kiiiiilling off chaaaaaracteeeers. Meanwhile, Dominic is not-suffering from Mindbreak, and the King is outmatched by a thug and one swordsman. Grand finale, folks!
    Thread XLIX: April 2, 2013 to May 25, 2013 - 50 pages. Celesto Morgan escaped the comic. Plot points dangle in the wind, resolution nowhere to be found. How did Dominic and Luna have children? Who is this child? Is this related to the fact that in the second panel of the last strip Dominic is clearly a lady? As the comic wrapped up, we found ourselves with questions. Mookie found himself without answers, and so the comic ended on a Friday Cliffhanger.

And our sister threads:
    Strip Slays, the best thread ever
    Strip Slays 2: the best thread strikes back
    Strip Slays 3 - Someone Is Going To Slay For This Outrage.
    Strip Slays 4: A Slay On Words.
    If the madness of this thread does not suffice to bring your SAN rating down, those will. For sure.
    [DD Snark]Maltak: The Unsuckening - Art by Domochevsky, Writing by Oracle_Hunter, edited by us. A parody of the longest arc done in the style of Hiimdaisy's comic strips, now with snazzy new (non-sucky) link!
    Dominic Deegan - The Second Coming - the now dead Dominic Deegan rewrite, where everyone could contribute! Assuming it was still alive.

For more information, check out the Encyclopedia Dominica, our all-encompassing archive of knowledge! It's a wiki!

If you're wondering why we snark, check out Why We Snark on the wiki!

For further reading, there's The Descent of Man (into Madness and Mookie) by Johnny Blade.

And there is also the Dominic Deegan game: Punchy's Brilliant Adventure: Ley Line Scramble, courtesy of TamerBill!

MORE FUN STUFF:

Snarky Flowcharts (Flowsnarks)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turcano's Chart of Arc Hope
    Helanna's Chart of Thread Trends

guttering_flame's Cycle of Life and Death (Spoiler: It All Leads to Maltak)

Snark Art (Snart)
    Spoiler
    Show

Dominic Deegan's art is garbage. However, some people may at times believe, possible after being exposed to it for way too long a time, that it's not that bad.
    Well, here's something to guide the lost souls back to the light.

Domo's Beef:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Domo's Reenvisioning (of the Melna vs Taran fight scene and Luna's entrance at the Bikta camp):
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Silverblood
    Spoiler
    Show

Pay close attention, you may notice a little surprise.

Garland
    Spoiler
    Show

BEHOLD! MUSTACHE!

SNARKSERVICE

Maltak: The Unsuckening

Domo's commentary on werewolf society:
    Spoiler
    Show

TamerBill's animations:

Joro's good old days:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In an alternate universe, Dominic Deegan: Surly Jerk With a Fish on His Head is a well regarded webcomic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crud, I think I drew his nose off center.

Jacob used to be somewhat cool. What happened? Curse you, Maltak.
    Spoiler
    Show

Glass Mouse:
    Spoiler
    Show

Averagejoe (and Lord Raziere)'s One Panel (Sn)Arcs
    Spoiler
    Show

The adventures of Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden.
    Spoiler
    Show

Curly's Dominic Deegan Analyses
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-05-25 at 03:08 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

And here we are. Cheers, my friends.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. L: The Snark(ie) Alive - Death Actually Is Zombies

This thread is a monument to deconstruction. And we are ready to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Heh, darn. I was hoping Librarian For Hire would make it in there. I will admit a lot of the joy has gone out of talking about this comic now that its over, but im sure we will be able to keep this limping along. Quickly everyone! Suggest to all of your friends irl that they read the entire comic and come on here to talk about it! We need new blood to secretly grin at as they slowly come to the conclusion that it always gets worse. Its like a long lasting call of cthulu game. A long, slow descent into gradually increasing madness.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Glad to be here.

As short as it's been for me, it's been fun here.
    I liked reading the comic (probably helped that I only started last November), but there were things that did bug me, and plenty of dialogue that I cringed at. Problem was, there was no one to talk to about it. I kinda forced myself to ignore any problems with the story and just read on, because to me, what was important was reading the whole thing and catching up, no matter what. But with these threads, I have a chance to say, actually, yeah, that strip's kinda bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    According to the Chronology, we've put in 2754 pages of work into this comic, which is almost as many as Mookie did (I shall leave it to you, the snarkers, to infer what you will from that).
    Except the Snarkhronology didn't start until October 31, 2006, about four and a half years later than the comic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The last version of the one panel snarcs are done:
    Spoiler
    Show

However I had an alternate idea for the last panel and I couldn't decide what do do, so I made an alternate version, the difference really is minor, but nevertheless, look upon it, use whichever you think better:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: no wait, something is wrong, why are they small again!?

Edit 2: problem fixed.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2013-05-25 at 01:43 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Swinging in here because somebody mentioned to me elsewhere that Dominic Deegan was ending. I figure I may as well reconstitute myself from the snarkstrumentality for the following.

So! The experiment is over! What have we learned here! Analyze people! I want some trends, standard deviations, and applicable knowledge!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I hope Curly comes back and does an analysis.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Swinging in here because somebody mentioned to me elsewhere that Dominic Deegan was ending. I figure I may as well reconstitute myself from the snarkstrumentality for the following.

So! The experiment is over! What have we learned here! Analyze people! I want some trends, standard deviations, and applicable knowledge!
    The big trend has been mentioned before. "It always gets worse" The "it" in question can be applied to virtually all aspects of the comic. Art, story, character development, greg content, you name it, it always gets worse.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mogotoo View Post
    .Except the Snarkhronology didn't start until October 31, 2006, about four and a half years later than the comic.
    In that case we can infer that we've put more work into this comic than Mookie has, in a much smaller period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The last version of the one panel snarcs are done.
    I'm going to go with the second one.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Eh, if I had to summarize my opinion on "Dominic Deegan", I'd say the comic had a bundle of good intentions and occasionally some good ideas, but the execution mostly varied from mediocre to terrible. Some of the shorter arcs are mildly fun to re-read when I have time to waste (an unfortunately rare commodity), but I'm not going to miss it.
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2013-05-25 at 03:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Welf greets world!

No idea what to say. Just want to be on page one. Maybe I'll come up with something while I'm writing and it ties together somehow in the end. Okay, I didn't come up with something.

I guess I learned nothing from the comic?

But to be serious, I learned quite a few from the comic. Mostly to never write a comic myself. I'm sure I would make the the same mistakes as Mookie. And from the thread, I learned quite a bit about writing and art. I think I can enjoy good work better now. And I'm much less able to accept bad work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default In fact.

Just a little statistic: this comic spanned 4022 days from May 21 2002 to May 24 2013 (inclusive) while consisting of 3000 strips. That means, that for the entire past 11 years, Mookie has updated with approximately 3 strips every 4 days (the ratio on my calculator is 0.745897563).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I have read this thread and this comic for a long time, going so far back as to when I thought Mr. Strange was a good nickname.
    In earnest, probably at least 5 years... Has this really been going so long? Kudos to your stamina!

All the slays, the cuddly animals, the haikus, the reviews and analyses I encountered each day I typed GitP into the searchengine made these days more fun than they had been without them and, arguably, even more fun than if I had never laid eyes on Dominic Deegan and its snarkers.

Reading the daily deconstruction of the trainwreck we all know and love (to hate) taught me to look at the way stories are made, to appreciate the handywork that goes into them and what happens if you think its just about making stuff up.

Anyway, I better leave it at that, because I tend to rewrite my posts until I think I´m better of not buggering anyone, so..

So long, and thanks for all the snark! It was fun!
    I´ll read you over at Star Power ;)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I learned to make snarky strip slays and one panel snark arcs.

thats pretty much all I can say. oh well.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I used to have a lot of fun back in the days of the Epic Thread and for quite a while afterwards. In time tough, this comic either became too bad to snark at or I just lost my taste for it.

And, like I said in the previous thread, it doesn't feel like an end to me, because this comic should have ended long ago. It was kept moving long past its expiration date, like a zombie... appropriately enough. Guess this comic is also zombies.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #17

Thread 50 is a pretty big deal, but I have no idea what to say. DD's blandness has pretty much made me numb to the whole thing. So I'll just say, yay! Thread 50? :P

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Death is zombies. This comic is zombies.

No John, you are the zombies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Death is zombies. This comic is zombies.

No John, you are the zombies.
    And then John was the thread.

It's nice to see some old school snarkers emerge again as the comic has wound down.

20. - Top - End - #20

A couple of contribution!
    With the help of the whole Snarkdom, I present you The Holy List Of Hilarious Storytelling:
    Lost characters, unresolved plot points & such things

1. The Berserker
    2. Dex's daughter
    3. Luna's father
    4. The students' parents
    5. The orcification of the Knight
    6. Where do Elemeccas come from?
    7. Hey Dominic, it's me! Your old pal Mosley!
    8. What the hell happened to Siegfried? He ate his dad, screamed in agony off camera and then.... nothing. Did he re-die? Transform into something else? What?
    9. Similarly, Karnak. He's the King of Hell, yeah, but he knows that Loxo, Siegfried and (as far as he's aware) the Beast are still hanging around in the wings, waiting to stab him in the back. What is he going to do about it?
    10. Dex's face and ex-wife. The guy was horribly maimed saving a town from an Eldritch Abomination - Isn't anyone going to say or do anything along the lines of "Thanks for being a hero, we're very grateful" and try to reward him, or are we not going to mention it ever again? And he somehow stayed alive after being almost eviscerated through sheer force of will. How? Why? Was it to try and win back Danika? To spite her? Is he going to get better? Is there anything between him and Pamela after she nursed him back to health?
    11. Jacob Deegan. Is he immortal now? Fully undead? Something else? How? Why? What does this mean for the rest of the world now that we know Necromancy not to just be 'evil'?
    12. I hate to even mention it, but we never did find out what will come of Luna's super special magical eggs. We also don't know how the recipients were chosen, or who they were.
    13. What were those protection dolls and why didn't they use them again? (Seriously, I am never going to get over how baffled by these things I am.)
    14. Well, Dominic's prediction that the Beast will crash the wedding and murder everyone has yet to come true
    15. Who is Huk-Thak, and why does he want to kill Melna?
    16. Who is Ethelia?
    17. What happened to Barnet is unresolved. Was she in Aberthast and killed when the cathedral was attacked? Is her trial over yet? Has it even started?
    18. Who is the unlikely visitor?
    19. What's up with Klo Tark?
    20. Why did the limitation spell on Miranda expire?
    As personal and unworthy efforts, I present you:

The List of New And Tasteless Facebath Names
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Tear through my Flesh
    2. White Magic Zombie
    3. Aberthast Ruins
    4. Abhorrent Face
    5. Slaughtered Refugees
    6. Ugly like Dex
    7. Seamless Appendages
    8. Punch the Bard
    9. Unrequited Demon
    10. Occupying Nations
    11. Magic Eggs
    12. Occupied Homeland
    13. Punch Your Wife
    14. Hands Cut Off
    15. Scheming Mother
    16. Treacherous Sister
    17. Misled Bisexual
    18. Implanted Breast
    19. Orcrape
    20. Altered Ass
    21. Forever Damned
    22. Killing Lust
    23. Dead Mustache
    24. Spellwolfs Slew my Sister
    25. Disloyal Pack
    26. Mavpel Breakdown
    27. Atrocious Class
    28. Dumbest Exile
    29. Enchanted Archmage
    30. Crazy Archmage
    31. Rotting Archmage
    32. I Killed an Archmage
    33. Headless Warlord
    34. Luana Bomb
    35. Haunting Friend
    36. Unforgiving Strippers
    37. Do Drugs
    38. Destroyer of Barthis
    39. Love Beats
    40. Unconsented Request
    41. Unrequested Consent
    42. Devil's Trade
    43. Sexy Spandex
    44. Improper Ass-shot
    45. Necklace of Teeth
    46. Of Cats and Dynamite
    47. Drugrape Semashi
    48. Drugraped Semashi
    49. Rachel's Consent
    50. Vasectomy Not Needed
    51. Take my Eggs Away
    52. Drugs & Family
    53. Taken Away Daughter
    54. Groinshot
    55. Drunk & Disorderly
    56. Stole from the Dead
    57. Evil Dominic
    58. Dead Rot
    59. Racist Neighbor
    60. Sex & the Headmaster
    61. Jump off the Bridge
    62. Water and Tusks
    63. PissPuke
    64. Friends Slew my Angel
    65. Naked Souls Embrace
    66. Flashing Children
    67. Little Master 'n' Battlecasters
    68. Three in the Bed
    69. Dead Rilian
    70. Hanged Piglet
    71. Knife in the Wound

And my personal ending (yet to be completed and open for any form of criticism)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ending of Dominic Deegan

Part I

It was the day of the wedding, and the people of Callan had been called to attend into the High Camber of the Royal Palace. The occupying nations had not enjoyed the news, fearing that collecting Callan’s most known heroes into a single, public place could ignite the temporarily asleep Callanian nationalism to spark a rebellion; but promises were made and guarantees were given by Chief Thuen Gor the Outraged, that these had been old enemies of the King, and the factors of his fall; and that, anyway, they had never had any interest in governing. It was, however, a good chance to let Callan begin anew, with a leader appointed on the occasion, in theory by the authority of the heroes, but actually chosen by the occupiers.
    All those who had been near Dominic after his talk with Gregory had noticed a great change in him. He was more detached, and at the same time more compassionated; Luna herself had been infected by his new behavior, and could not help herself thinking, that it was a pace in the right direction. There was fulfillment, but also a good intention behind it. Dominic had lost his second sight, indeed, but he had gained a new insight. Straining himself from the land of the living and seeing the future inside the Heart of Magic had bestowed on him discernment: the same discernment, the lack thereof had almost brought the world and Callan to a catastrophe. He was on the stage at the end of the hall, sitting on the throne of the old hereditary kings, and Luna was next to him, on the queen’s throne.
    The bells hit three times, and the voice of the crowd sunk into silence and expectation as Luna helped Dominic stand. In the end, he stood, bent on his stick, and spoke. The foreign guards set themselves into attention.
    “Citizens of Callan”, spake he, as his words echoed through wide-running walls and arched doors, “the reign of King David has not long come to an end. You remember it well. You remember the disputed context, in which he was elected king, against our own tradition. You remember the crimes committed by his squads, a pale imitation of the honorable Knights we knew in earlier times.” He raised his voice. “You all saw how his bureaucracy turned into a savage oppression, and how he allowed corruption and crime turn this glorious city into a cleptocracy. But you also know of his last, greatest crime: of his betrayal. You were here, as the flying isle of the Sanctum appeared in our sky, and we had to launch an attack against it, to ensure that our world and our nation would not come to an end because of his personal allegiance to a deformed abomination, to which he gave life and to which he lastly shamefully submitted.
    Dear citizens, the pain and suffering caused by the king’s massacres will be slow to heal. It will not be easy, to move on, and start our lives anew. You all know that we were the most hurt, as most of the victims were our friends. In all of this suffering, however, I am about to ensure you that what is in the past will remain in the past, and that nothing similar will ever again happen in our Nation.
    As we have no king, I wish to call upon you. This assembly has the authority to confirm what will be said, and to turn it into law and custom.
    And, first of all, I wish to declare in front of you that I take the here present Luna Travoria as my wife, as it already was, before the authority of this assembly.”
    Then Luna said, “And I take Dominic Deegan, savior of Callan, as my man”.
    The crowd exploded into ovation. Because it was just a crowd that stood there, and no real assembly, as nobody had notable roles: the old servants of the king were being hunted down and prosecuted, and the little surviving military had been disarmed and taken prisoner of war by the invaders. They had no way to avoid manipulation and they simply accepted that that was being told them, as it had been under King David.
    Dominic then took word again. He explained that the kingdom would return to its old, hereditary form, as it had been in the past, when it was in its bloom. He then called forward Pamela and dressed her with the mantle of Queen as she knelt before him.
    Pamela then officiated more marriages, standing on the steps of the thrones, where Dominic and Luna still sat. Those who were then married were: Danovich with Jayden; Nimmel with Katia; Sturz with Butler of the Masters.
    It came then to a worrisome happening. Pamela called forth a last couple to be married: Dex and Danika Garrit. This was unexpected to the most, as their names were not well known. Much worse was Danika’s reaction. She refused nearing the thrones, and she had to be manhandled there; and the crowd was upset that the groom’s face was kept covered, so that the mask had to be removed, at which many who were in the first lines recoiled. There was a murmur, which was quickly silenced. But, as Danika still refused consenting to the marriage, Dominic himself talked to her, reminding her of her ancient husband’s merits, and of the lives he had saved, not last of which, her own; and she should have shown gratitude to him for what he had done, staying behind and choosing to give his life for others instead of running away, especially taking into account, that she had not done the same for her own daughter. Danika then cried out that she would not marry him, no matter the cost. She recalled the violence she had suffered and the abuse he had practiced upon her, and, in the end, she shouted: “I don’t want my children to have to call this man their father!” In all of this, Dex stood silent. Dominic answered her saying: “If you will have children, they will not be yours. You have been given two honors, Danika: you will marry a hero, a changed man, a saved man; and you will bear the children of Luna. Your womb will give me and her an offspring.”
    Luna went on. “When I was in Maltak, I called back the water and saved us all; but I had to die for it. I cannot give life, but my eggs still live. You will receive them. It will be my wedding gift to you.”
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

So, to (somewhat) repost my thoughts from the last topic...

What bugs me the most about the last comic is the redundancy of panels 2-4 with the "Many years later..." in panel 5. We already see that years are passing in the aforementioned three panels, we don't need to be told it. It's not even just the redundancy that bugs, it's the way it breaks the flow. Showing the years passing through several panels is a fine way to show time is passing, and even the quick "many years later..." works also. But combining the two just results in each one sabotaging the other.

Either panels 2-4 should've been deleted, or the text box in panel 5 should've been excised.

As for the comic itself in general...to be honest, I've only been reading it erratically for the past few years. But I don't think the comic is as bad as a lot of people in this topic make it out to be. It had some good parts, and I feel it was honestly quite good for a while, but then it just started making misstep after misstep.

Personally, I think the webcomic's worst aspects were due to Sigfried, post-death (beforehand, he was honestly one of the better characters). Rather than just let him die gracefully, Mookie felt the need to bring all that "he serves Karnak now!" nonsense, which of course let to the ridiculous, desperate, and utterly unnecessary retcons in Shadow of Sigfried. It was basically just character assassination that wouldn't have even been necessary if he had just let Sigfried die simply. I think the handling of Sigfried after he died is what bugs me the most about the comic, to be honest, because I thought his death scene was done decently prior to Karnak showing up.

Speaking of which, the plot points in Court of Karnak are just blatantly left hanging, particularly in regards to Sigfried. This might have been acceptable if it was self-contained, but the ending really looked like it was setting up for some things that never paid off. Just another example of how Sigfried should've just died with no information given about what happened to him afterwards.

But despite the frequent (and sometimes major) missteps, congrats are to Mookie for successfully keeping it going, having a very consistent update schedule (especially by the often weak standards of webcomics), and reaching a conclusion. Even at its worst I felt Dominic Deegan at least had some decent ideas, and at its best it was a comic I actually really really liked.

It was never the best of strips, it was never the worst of strips, but it was often just good enough to make you forget how bad it was.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Daemon

I'm thinking I should read this Dominic Deegan.

Does anyone want to give me advice before I delve into the "horror"

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post

Document ALL of your thoughts and reactions.

Be our new test subject.

Curly never made it through the full thing, it would be nice to have another neutral read-through log.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2013-05-26 at 09:07 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post

Be our new test subject.

Curly never made it through the full thing, it would be nice to have another neutral read-through log.
    And maybe, after a year or so's worth of comics, it will be our turn to say "Dance, puppet! Dance!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    And then John was the thread.

It's nice to see some old school snarkers emerge again as the comic has wound down.
    Yeah. It would be nice if we get even more guest stars.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post

Be our new test subject.

Can you give me points to stop? Like for example, OOTS has clear chapters of where a new scene stops and starts. Like between 775 and 822 is the tournament/Linear attack arc. And between 600 and 622 is the Thieves Guild attack/Belkar vision quest arc.

I know Deegan has arcs, like when it had no plot or this "vaction" everyone talks about.

Anyone have clear ideas?

27. - Top - End - #27

Back-up your brain, it's the safest thing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Can you give me points to stop? Like for example, OOTS has clear chapters of where a new scene stops and starts. Like between 775 and 822 is the tournament/Linear attack arc. And between 600 and 622 is the Thieves Guild attack/Belkar vision quest arc.

I know Deegan has arcs, like when it had no plot or this "vaction" everyone talks about.

Anyone have clear ideas?
    Mookie doesn't really do numbered strips, but the arc breaks are usually fairly obvious. He also has chapters delineated in his Archive.

Also, stop after Storm of Souls. Actually, parts of The Battle for Barthis, The War in Hell, and Two Thief or Not Two Thief are good, but Storm of Souls is pretty much the definitive shark-jumping moment.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2013-05-26 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Don't do it? There's not going to be anyone to make fun of the comic with soon, you'll just spend a lot of time reading an awful comic for nothing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Don't do it? There's not going to be anyone to make fun of the comic with soon, you'll just spend a lot of time reading an awful comic for nothing.
    . . . Which is exactly why this should be done NOW, while the corpse is still warm.

Has anyone heard from Curly in a while? I wonder what we could do to bribe her to pick up where she left off and see us through to the finish.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~