New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Girl Genius XV: The Weasel, the Spark, and the Wardrobe

Welcome to another installment of the Girl Genius Thread!

Some Many elegant and finely-crafted unused links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF @ Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (Updated sporadically)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the entries can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Often will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    The News Page on the Girl Genius website. (updated slightly more frequently than the Studio Foglio LJ page)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Updated infrequently)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (hasn't updated in a while)

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky gating 101;
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Last edited by memnarch; 2013-06-15 at 09:24 AM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XV: The Weasel, the Spark, and the Wardrobe

After reading some of the posts on the pacing issues this series suffered during the Mechanicsburg arc, I started thinking about something that's troubled me for awhile. It's true that the meandering around the castle arc seemed to drag on and bore as much as it entertained and thrilled. And I started thinking about this series as a whole.

I think it's entirely possible that it might be better for this series and Agatha if the Castle really was killed. Once and for all killed. The Foglio's have to be very careful with a character like Agatha and how she's written. One thing I now believe about her is that it would be easy, extremely easy, for her to sink down into the mire of Mary Sue-dom. It is worth anything to avoid this, which is why the Foglio's have to be so careful with her.

That's why it might be better for some of the Heterodyne's more impressive stuff to just, quietly go away. Let Agatha survive on her own wits and intelligence and the talent of her friends, Not on the convenient super power of the castle size Macguffin (which der Kestle was in danger of becoming in the last battle).

I understand the pacing issues of the Mechanicsburg arc were unavoidable, as there were so many revelations to make (and there's plenty more to make before it's all over). But I hope that such problems will not be quite so obvious in the future.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Is this the first time Violetta's replaced something with a useful thing instead of an innocuous-and-maybe-humorous thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

We noticed she was getting better, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Manix21 View Post
    I think it's entirely possible that it might be better for this series and Agatha if the Castle really was killed. Once and for all killed.
    I don't agree. The Castle is only useful to Agatha while she's in Mechanicsburg--it offers no help to her when she's elsewhere, so all the Foglios have to do to remove it as a factor is force her to leave the town; this is pretty much what they've done already, of course! Think of the Castle as being like the town in an action RPG--it's a safe place you go to recover from your adventures, but that doesn't mean you spend all your time there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Thank you, that is an excellent point.

Castle Heterodyne's strength is built very heavily on location. It's built in a defensible position on top of a spectacular energy source, with the accumulated tools and toys of generations of Heterodynes and a population that both loves them and... er... copes with them. It's an important strength and resource, but Agatha literally can't take it with her, and she has several potential reasons to travel even without being forced.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To find the real heir to the Storm King, of course!
    (Personally, I don't think that any of the Stormvarous family are the true heir to the Storm King mantle.
    It makes much more dramatic sense that the true heir doesn't know his true heritage.)
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2013-06-13 at 03:01 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    To find the real heir to the Storm King, of course!
    (Personally, I don't think that any of the Stormvarous family are the true heir to the Storm King mantle.
    It makes much more dramatic sense that the true heir doesn't know his true heritage.)
    Perhaps. Agatha would probably prefer it to be Tarvek however, as he is as known a quantity as any of his family are (except Violetta, who's too far removed from the "royal line" to count). Which is all the more reason for it to be a new character, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #9

*headtilt*

I was thinking Agatha was likely to be opposing the Other, searching for her uncle, searching for Skifander, checking up on her friends in England, and/or seeking out allies. I'm not sure why she'd particularly care about finding the "true heir" to the Storm King.

(Although I admit to being charmed by the possibility that Euphrosynia simply went home, and Valois did until recently have a line of male descendants... they were just inconveniently calling themselves Heterodynes.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the various people claimng the Storm King title have been very concerned with her, it is entirely conceivable that Agatha wants to sort out that mess once and for all. She's beginning to learn that just leaving other people alone doesn't mean they will leave her alone.

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manix21 View Post
    The Foglio's have to be very careful with a character like Agatha and how she's written. One thing I now believe about her is that it would be easy, extremely easy, for her to sink down into the mire of Mary Sue-dom. It is worth anything to avoid this, which is why the Foglio's have to be so careful with her.
    Or the Foglios have chosen to center their story on a Mary Sue and must justify her. Surrounding her with like overpowered characters, as both allies and adversaries, may be part of their scheme. Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Lampshade, helps. Keeping Agatha likeable and plausible in her world is a pretty severe challenge, but if that's their choice, more power to them. So far, they've succeeded enough to keep me reading, anyway.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Or the Foglios have chosen to center their story on a Mary Sue and must justify her. Surrounding her with like overpowered characters, as both allies and adversaries, may be part of their scheme. Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Lampshade, helps. Keeping Agatha likeable and plausible in her world is a pretty severe challenge, but if that's their choice, more power to them. So far, they've succeeded enough to keep me reading, anyway.
    I have to say the biggest danger of being a mary sue is her sparkyness, and the biggest thing that keeps her from that status is she needs time and materials to build her death rays and whatnot. So while she can turn the carnival into a platoon of heavily armed and armored clanks, she cant just snap her fingers and make it happen. I think that might be a part of why she is constantly on the move, so she doesnt GET that time to be over prepared. The entire castle arc more or less, she wasnt able to stop rest and think more than once or twice. And once she did get the chance, bango, she had herself a castle obliterating death ray. The only way to keep things from falling into full on curb stomping sue mode was to keep throwing things at her and never giving her time to rest. The down side is, it gave us the extremely busy and somewhat disjointed castle arc where so much was happening that it was easy to lose track.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Or the Foglios have chosen to center their story on a Mary Sue and must justify her.
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize Maria Antonia Fantasia Philomel was the protagonist of this story
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

If a character has a great deal of personal ability, and so do their friends and allies and enemies and rivals and... just generally most people important to the story have a tremendous (possibly over-the-top) amount of personal ability...

...then doesn't that just make the whole setting over-the-top and the main character just in possession of a fairly standard amount of Main Character Mojo?

I mean, nobody complains about mary sues when the Terminator kills all those dudes.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Judging from the bubbles Tweedle is now fully spark out. And it seems the single 'a' version of his name is the right one.

16. - Top - End - #16

That guy clearly deserves a promotion. Excellent minion.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Spark-charisma. His grace never stood a chance against his majesty.
    Last edited by blauregen; 2013-06-14 at 08:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

That guy's a lot smarter than Question Mark Girl. At least he's still alive.

The three guys in the background in the first panel: I don't think they're Smoke Knights, I think they're part of whatever faction of the KoJ that has control of the Fortress now. As such, unless they defect immediately to Tweedle, too, I doubt they'll last long.

(The guy wearing the hat: Is the sigil on his emblem the same as the sigil on the late Your Grace? They look close, but it's hard to tell... It would be indicative of how serious things are if several different forces had to JOIN forces to survive Gil's onslaught.)

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    If a character has a great deal of personal ability, and so do their friends and allies and enemies and rivals and... just generally most people important to the story have a tremendous (possibly over-the-top) amount of personal ability...

...then doesn't that just make the whole setting over-the-top and the main character just in possession of a fairly standard amount of Main Character Mojo?

I mean, nobody complains about mary sues when the Terminator kills all those dudes.
    Or Ranma always winning, even against near gods.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Yes, let's call him "Vlad" for now.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Tweedle is really growing on me. He's got no pretension, or rather he does, but it's all refreshingly uncomplicated. Sure, he demands they address him as majesty and all that, but his power is basically built on spark charisma and the fact he's so physically dangerous that he can't be removed from power, and he knows it. And he goes out of his way to make his minions know it as well.

He's not saying his dictatorship is better than the alternative, he's not arguing that everyone else is just as bad as he is (except Tavek, but let's face it, on that count he's pretty much on the money), and he hasn't claimed divine right, legitimacy or anything like that. He just wants to exploit people, to be unchallenged and to do science. I can respect that.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-15 at 07:45 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Some of the recent commentary here (last few pages of Thread XIV) suggests to me that either nobody was at the Reddit Q&A or precious few were and they're not speaking up.

Therefore:
    A question on Mechanicsburg:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, Mechanicsburg is not gone.

A question on the Wulfenbach brothers, since the Old Curmudgeon brought it up:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Klaus is definitely constructed from three brothers, and the work was done by his/their parents.

You'll have to get the specific reference from the Wikia, but Phil has said in an interview that Klaus was in Skifander for four years. WoG, WoG.... Please note that from other time references elsewhere, it took Klaus something like two years to get back, possibly on foot for much of it.

Questions about Klaus and his wife:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaja giggled, Phil said 'He is very fond of her', then they added in a later response that she'll have a lot to say to him. Notice the tense used.

A question about Skifander's culture as much as answered one bit of fanon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They don't like twins.

There's lots more in there, including a question about bees, but I've included the link so you may browse at leisure.

I do appreciate the opportunity to bask in being Right, though. [bows to the Professors]

22. - Top - End - #22

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Is this the first time Violetta's replaced something with a useful thing instead of an innocuous-and-maybe-humorous thing?
    Nope, not hardly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Corgi View Post
    That does sort of count as an innocuous-and-harmless thing...it saved Theo, but the doll itself does nothing.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

I wonder why everyone is trying to kill Tweedle? This seems more than the normal internecine fighting you expect from his family--it seems every other member of the family specifically wants him dead...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I wonder why everyone is trying to kill Tweedle? This seems more than the normal internecine fighting you expect from his family--it seems every other member of the family specifically wants him dead...
    I look at it as a smaller scale version of what happened when wulfenbach was injured. So long as tweedle was in command, in control, and had his plan working, his family backed off for the most part aside from standard intrigue. But he has apparently gone missing, is injured, and his plan is in shambles. In other words, he looks vulnerable. So every faction trying to get an edge over the others wants to take him down and take his place.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Tweedle is really growing on me. He's got no pretension, or rather he does, but it's all refreshingly uncomplicated. Sure, he demands they address him as majesty and all that, but his power is basically built on spark charisma and the fact he's so physically dangerous that he can't be removed from power, and he knows it. And he goes out of his way to make his minions know it as well.

He's not saying his dictatorship is better than the alternative, he's not arguing that everyone else is just as bad as he is (except Tavek, but let's face it, on that count he's pretty much on the money), and he hasn't claimed divine right, legitimacy or anything like that. He just wants to exploit people, to be unchallenged and to do science. I can respect that.
    Oh gosh. A horrible thought has just occurred to me. Lucrezia would LOVE Tweedle: Big, strong, dangerous, and easy to manipulate. It'd be like Bang and Vole, but WORSE!

Let's hope Agatha's locket stays in place...

Some of the recent commentary here (last few pages of Thread XIV) suggests to me that either nobody was at the Reddit Q&A or precious few were and they're not speaking up.
    Thank you MUCH for this!

(reads questions and answers)

Art SPARKS?!? There's ART... SPARKS???

Oh. My. God.

A question about Skifander's culture as much as answered one bit of fanon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They don't like twins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twins. I NEVER THOUGHT of the possibility of twins! Oh, this is going to be jolting to Gil when this comes out. O_O
    Last edited by eee; 2013-06-16 at 09:52 AM. Reason: silly error

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post

Oh. My. God.
    I always thought that VanRijin was an Art Spark. Sure, his clanks are marvels of engineering, but they were built to teach the arts (dancing and what-not), and it seems most people appreciate that part of them rather than the clever machinery.

I'm actually slightly disappointed he isn't an Art Spark, actually.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #28
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Another thing from the reddit AMA:
    Phil: We will be returning to a more focused narrative in the near future.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I look at it as a smaller scale version of what happened when wulfenbach was injured. So long as tweedle was in command, in control, and had his plan working, his family backed off for the most part aside from standard intrigue. But he has apparently gone missing, is injured, and his plan is in shambles. In other words, he looks vulnerable. So every faction trying to get an edge over the others wants to take him down and take his place.
    I think you've nailed it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh gosh. A horrible thought has just occurred to me. Lucrezia would LOVE Tweedle: Big, strong, dangerous, and easy to manipulate. It'd be like Bang and Vole, but WORSE!

Let's hope Agatha's locket stays in place...
    Tweedle's not stupid by any means. Just… direct. No finesse or subtlety, he's all brute force. He makes no real effort to insinuate himself, and his scheming generally falls more in the category of 'join me or die' backed up by the threat of overwhelming brutality then carefully subverting the enemy without revealing your hand and converting crucial members to your own faction. Which, to be fair, can be extremely effective, as long as you're the one who is always in the position of overwhelming power.

Which is doubtless why Taverk underestimated him. He associates intelligence and competence with his own methods, the backstabbing and subterfuge that his family all indulge in as they maneuver each other towards ruin, and play elaborate games of bluff and counter-bluff. Because of this, he therefore assumes someone more like him in the Order must be backing Tweedle. But from what we can see here, it seems far more likely that Tweedle simply put the fear of God (or at least, the fear of Tweedle) into everyone, killed anyone he didn't need to prove his point, and made his claim stick that way. He can't be removed because he's too good, and he's not willing to compromise, so essentially they all had to fold beneath him and give him what he wanted, or get knifed.

And that seems to have been working before the Mechanicsburg debacle. It actually looks like a good way to do business in this world. I mean, it's worked for Klaus, though Klaus has also shown himself a good hand at the other way of doing things as well. However, if Lucrezia did get her talons in Tweedle…

Well, the question is what exactly can he offer her. He's pretty deadly, but she's such a powerful spark, and has got so many resources squirreled away that anyone she backs in the Order will be in a position of overwhelming force. She might back him for simplicities sake, but using Anvenka she's in a position to make a play of her own. The only reason I can see her deciding to use Tweedle is to try and find a subject to get another backup for her mind so she can kill Agatha (remember, she's worried she's losing control, and is only keeping Agatha alive because she needs to warn the rest of her about Zola).

Thank you MUCH for this!

(reads questions and answers)

Oh. My. God.
    What, and this didn't tip you off? If this isn't obviously indicating that the methods of expression in this universe isn't as mad as the science, I don't know what is (except perhaps that painting in Castle Hetrodyne that eats people).

I like to believe that the omnidisciplinary sparks we see so much of who dabble in everything are a minority, and that there's chemistry sparks devoted solely to cooking out there.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-16 at 06:19 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.