New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The thing is, however selfish his advice may have been, he did have a point. He was playing the odds, and doing it in a fairly sensible fashion. He just got unlucky with a surprise random crit from the monster.
    Yeah, if a crit was 26 hit points, that means a normal hit would have been probably somewhere in the teens. The dwarf was at "single digit hit points" meaning a hit in the teens would have dropped him, but left him alive, with Ardon sitting right there to Inspiring Word him back up the following turn.

That said, 26 damage, even on a crit, is pretty nasty for a monster in a dungeon for 2nd/3rd level characters.

Anyway, my guess for how Ardon gets out of it is letting Chandea take the bulk of the loot from the dungeon to buy up residium (sp?) to resurrect her party. It would also explain why Ardon went through the trouble of keeping the bodies with him beyond just the shock value/bluff check at the beginning.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #32

I don't know if Rune of Mending is more efficient if you cast it on yourself, but I'll assume it's not.

He gave Ardon +7 hit points. He was in single-digit, so his maximum hit point amount was 9. 9+7=16. The crit inflicting -26 points of damage, so in the best case, the dwarf would have been reduced to -10 health anyway.

I also don't know if 4e has changed that, but in 3e at least, -10 is the "really dead" threshold for everything except the Tarrasque. If it's the same here, the +7 hit points would have been wasted since he was going to die anyway; and healing Ardon was better overall.

The real question is whether Grorek could have destroyed the zombie in one hit at that point. Then an order to do so would have saved the dwarf.

Looking for "D&D 4th edition death", I found this which says: "In 4th Edition, raise dead became a ritual that required 500 gp to cast. In addition, the target suffered a –1 penalty to most d20 rolls for six encounters of adventuring." The dragon's hoard looks like it contains more than 2000 gp, so resurrecting the whole party doesn't seem impossible.

It also says "4th Edition extended the death threshold to a negative number equal to half the character’s maximum hit points." so I guess the dwarf would probably have survived getting reduced to -10 or lower. A third level dwarven warrior ought to have more than 20 hit points total.
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-08-03 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #33

The real question is whether Grorek could have destroyed the zombie in one hit at that point. Then an order to do so would have saved the dwarf.
    Most heals in 4e were minor actions, or part of an attack, so chances are he would have been able to try to do that and still do the heal.

It also says "4th Edition extended the death threshold to a negative number equal to half the character’s maximum hit points." so I guess the dwarf would probably have survived getting reduced to -10 or lower. A third level dwarven warrior ought to have more than 20 hit points total.
    Yeah not sure offhand what class he was, but just about any 3rd level character is going to have a minimum of 30hp. Even a Wizard with 12 con (basically minimum for a dwarf) is going to have 12+10+4+4 = 30 hp. A tougher class/someone with more con can be as high as 45 hp.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-08-03 at 10:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The thing is, however selfish his advice may have been, he did have a point. He was playing the odds, and doing it in a fairly sensible fashion. He just got unlucky with a surprise random crit from the monster.
    That's under the assumption that he is telling the truth.

Especially since he already won the contest, admitting he made bad decisions and lost because of luck is better than admitting he killed them intentionally...

Let's wait for the rest of the story, we still have 2 more corpses before the one he killed in "self defense".

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    That's under the assumption that he is telling the truth.

Especially since he already won the contest, admitting he made bad decisions and lost because of luck is better than admitting he killed them intentionally...

Let's wait for the rest of the story, we still have 2 more corpses before the one he killed in "self defense".

Personally I'm inclined to believe the version of events being relayed. I mean with this first death he's already more or less admitted that the Dwarf died as a result of a command he gave, even if it did seem like a strategically sound decision at the time.

If he were going to lie, he'd be giving a story about how it wasn't his fault at all, where he had a brilliant plan to win effortlessly, and the party didn't follow his directions, leading to their deaths, and the halfling attacked him because he blamed Ardon for their failings, or something along those lines.

Mind you Ardon may just be going with something that places more blame on him to make it seem more believable and exonerate him, but that's pretty meta.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Personally I'm inclined to believe the version of events being relayed. I mean with this first death he's already more or less admitted that the Dwarf died as a result of a command he gave, even if it did seem like a strategically sound decision at the time.

If he were going to lie, he'd be giving a story about how it wasn't his fault at all, where he had a brilliant plan to win effortlessly, and the party didn't follow his directions, leading to their deaths, and the halfling attacked him because he blamed Ardon for their failings, or something along those lines.

Mind you Ardon may just be going with something that places more blame on him to make it seem more believable and exonerate him, but that's pretty meta.
    Okay, NOW I'm sure he's saying the truth.

And if there was ever any doubt, Ardon proves once again that even if he somehow survives this room, he has no place in that group, certainly not as a leader.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Shoot, Chandea! Shoot! shoot Ardon's worthless bad leader butt into oblivion!

alternatively, use him as a convenient distraction. take the treasure, throw him to the monsters outside then make a run for it while they eat him. it will be a nice ironic end for him.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So...do 4E rangers use a kiss to mark someone as their "Hunters Quarry" or was that kiss completely nonsensical?

Crazy or not, I get the feeling I am not the only one rooting for Chandea to succeed in getting her revenge.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So...do 4E rangers use a kiss to mark someone as their "Hunters Quarry" or was that kiss completely nonsensical?

Crazy or not, I get the feeling I am not the only one rooting for Chandea to succeed in getting her revenge.
    No, the kiss was 100% nonsensical. Chandea is capital 'C' Crazy.

And I'm all for Chandea trying, but I still love Ardon, and he remains the most consistently entertaining character in the comic.

10. - Top - End - #40

No, the kiss was 100% nonsensical. Chandea is capital 'C' Crazy.
    I think she snapped. She wasn't crazy before the dungeon; now she is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

As far as i am aware, kissing someone she hates like that can only mean one of two things.

1. The Author reads homestuck.

or 2. She just took the first steps into Psychopathy.

Either way i like it!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

This is turning almost impossibly sad in this visual medium.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    This is turning almost impossibly sad in this visual medium.
    I don't quite understand your comment.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So that girl in the mask is who I think it is(don't remember he name though)....

Why is she saving Ardon? Is it a "only I can kill you" type of thing? That can't be it because she had her chance to kill him herself. She still does but she hasn't tried yet. Maybe she wants her party back first before she takes her revenge?

The only other reason I can think of is to save Peanut, but he seems pretty much out of danger now. After all, Peanut doesn't have a bounty on his head as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-10-18 at 11:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't she hired by the pain party to track him down? Or she may be after the bounty on his head herself, preffering to take "alive" over dead if the reward is high enough.

That or the reward states ONLY alive.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hired? Not really. They tried to convince her to help, but she claimed she wouldn't. She could be after the bounty in order to get her party raised. We know from the dryad that the bounty is dead or alive, but that he is worth more alive.

However, as she said, plans aren't her strong suit. I find it hard to believe that she would come up with the idea of pretending to be his ally so that she could take him in alive. As far as I can tell her plan is to rescue him while wearing a disguise she didn't even believe would work so that he doesn't recognize her.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-10-19 at 02:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to say, Ardon is my favorite character, second only to Peanut.

I'd probably play Peanut, and enjoy my friend playing Ardon.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think this masked stranger isn't Chandea but is meant to make us think it is her, taking advantage of the fact that details, especially when disguised, are difficult to make out in 8-bit.

This woman is probably Ardon's sister or something.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Hehehehehehe Minmax and Forgath Cameo
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, yeah, so, I think Ardon may really have had it this time. Elly and Od and Peanut may make it, maybe even 45 if he wants to hang around, but I think he's finally bitten off more then he can chew.

And I'm fine with that.
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So are they just going to ignore the fact that there was no evidence of a storm? Is the ground even wet?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-12-17 at 04:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So are they just going to ignore the fact that there was no evidence of a storm? Is the ground even wet?
    I believe he is referring to a metaphorical storm.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

This is the slowest moving comic I have ever seen, in my entire life. I would rather check up on it once or twice a week and have something eventful happen than to check up everyday hoping something does, and having nothing happen.

Odivallus has been drowning for 3 strips now. And the 4 strips before that was a single scene.

I do like it and all, but it is so slow. Odivallus could have run around searching for kina, gone to the beach, and swam out in one strip.

I know "it releases everyday". But I think that is just something LonestarNorth is doing in an attempt to have it gain popularity.
    Last edited by obstructor; 2012-12-22 at 12:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by obstructor View Post
    This is the slowest moving comic I have ever seen, in my entire life. I would rather check up on it once or twice a week and have something eventful happen than to check up everyday hoping something does, and having nothing happen.

Odivallus has been drowning for 3 strips now. And the 4 strips before that was a single scene.

I do like it and all, but it is so slow. Odivallus could have run around searching for kina, gone to the beach, and swam out in one strip.

I know "it releases everyday". But I think that is just something LonestarNorth is doing in an attempt to have it gain popularity.
    Clearly you don't read Dominic Deegan, Erfworld, or Goblins if you are complaining this comic is the slowest moving you've ever seen. Compared to many comics I read, this comic is lightning fast. Actually I can think of very few story focused web comics that move at a very fast pace.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-12-22 at 12:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

yea, this comic is fast, there are others that are much slower. its a bit like complaining that the olympic athlete doesn't run fast enough.

I bet you that if I gone there now to check on it there would be a new comic.

*checks*

yup, I was right.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

The slowest comic? Seriously? This is probably, I dunno, at least the second quickest moving webcomic I can think of.

Yes, Odivallus' flashback could've been compressed, but that would've killed the impact of it. In comics, how many panels and pages you allot to something is incredibly vital. If Odi had just looked about for Kino, not seen her, been stabbed by jerkface and dived into the ocean, all in one page, it would have seemed stupidly rushed. And Odi would have also seemed stupid for trying to swim across the ocean.

Instead, each is given it's own page. This way, we get to see the situation escalate and spiral out out of control, until Odivallus genuinely has no better options.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-12-22 at 06:41 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

...dassa big dragon...
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

*necro'ed with staff permission*

Yes, Ardon. Yes you do.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    *necro'ed with staff permission*

Yes, Ardon. Yes you do.
    Do you need to say "with staff permission" when you're a mod?

And yeah, Ardon's reaction in that last panel cracked me up.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Do you need to say "with staff permission" when you're a mod?

And yeah, Ardon's reaction in that last panel cracked me up.
    It was judged the easiest way to avoid the mods having to deal with a bunch of reports of thread necromancy. We still have to follow the rules, which in this case includes asking for an exemption on necromancy. I asked Roland, since he outranks me.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-02-11 at 08:26 PM.