New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

As of the last update, he actually is dangerously close to killing her for real.

All he has to do is be wrong about it being an Illusion with regard to himself, peanut and Odie. That's it.

If he is, she dies for real. A Pity that that's what it seems like it's gonna take to get Odivallus to Waste him finally and at freaking last.

More so if the jerk survives this whole thing and one or both of them do not.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

The whole mind twisting of the scenario aside, these updates feel a bit slow. Even for a daily comic. Sure hope we won't get a 3rd 2 v.s. in-team fight after this.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Started this webcomic a few days ago, and found quite enjoyable. But it's true that Ardon is pratically single-handedly carrying the show, which is... disturbing, when you consider what kind of person he is.

By the way, I've seen him compared to Black Mage a lot, but wouldn't Thief be a more apt comparison ? I mean, greedy beyond belief, quite skilled at using the rules to his advantage, racial supremacist... He even have shades of Red Mage, with those bits of back-and-forth multiclassing.

As for the last updates... well, this is becoming tricky. What Ardon says make sense... too much sense, really. After all, what are the odds of their enemy (whatever he is) using exactly the same tactic twice in a row ? Not to mention, if it is his only modus operandi, I can't see him getting much result with Ardon (which, even if tricked by illusions, is not the type to engage a monster head-on and will rely on the other party members first) and Peanut (this one is self explanatory, I think). So, all I'm saying is this has the potential to becoming real ugly real fast.

EDIT : and what do you guess, the next thing I do is check on the comic and bam, update.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much to say, really, it went pretty much as expected, and the questions we have are still hanging. The only surprise is that Ardon seemed a bit reluctant about giving the finishing blow, but it's not that big of a shock either.
    Last edited by Macros; 2013-03-08 at 06:24 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

That's very much my train of though. I'm willing to wager that the only one suffering a mental effect is Elle, and that the thing putting her under that did that so that they would kill her for it. It knows Ardon got around it's trick the first time, so it would be logical if it has decent mental stats that it would be able to make the leap of logic that if someone did something once, they'd assume that doing it again would work a second time under what appears to be very similar or the same set of circumstances.

And that if Ardon hits for a fatal attack this time, but he's not REALLY in an Illusion, that Elle will really die, and that in all probability Odie will do his damndest to kill Ardon for that.

And if Ardon or Odie kill's the other, then all the entity has to do is mop up the survivor + Peanut.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #95

PaladinGuy

Now, we've said that, but... what then ? Frankly, I'm not too sure of what is the best course of action here. They can't heal Ell, since she will probably resume attacking them. According to our reasoning, they can't kill her either. So... now what ? I'd want to say that the best course of action would be to try to confront that mysterious entity directly, but there's no telling if that's even possible... So... Sitting on their thumbs the whole time and hoping for the best ?
    Last edited by Macros; 2013-03-08 at 03:19 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, they've already illustrated that monsters aren't always prone to FAILING to react to the whole "Wait and fight it when I want too." approach. See Casty Hexy.

If we add inverting the "will fail a save eventually." mentality used by PC's when they spam things that force monsters to roll saves till at worst a nat 1 comes up, (Which is to say, she just keeps rolling saves until she eventually rolls at nat 20 to break the Illusion.), then they could theoretically wait it out.

The Authors other 2 outs are Peanut does a massive revel, or, 45 shows up and kills what ever it is that messing with them in an ambush to save Ardon from dieing from something not related to the fact that he's an ego-maniacle-self-serving-vendictive-sociopath-with-more-attitued-then-a-teenaged-deity. So that he CAN and WILL die of something that is a direct result of that.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm not sure what's more entertaining at this point, the actual comic or your superhumanly focused hatred of Ardon.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm not sure what's more entertaining at this point, the actual comic or your superhumanly focused hatred of Ardon.
    What's really sad is until this post and going back to read the thread, I didn't realize that it was the same person making literally every 2nd or 3rd post in the thread talking about how horrible Ardon is. I thought there were at least a half dozen people posting the same sort of thing.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #99

*Cough*

I counted three posts of theirs that weren't hating on Ardon, hoping Ardon would die or speculating on how Ardon might die.

One of those was one line long, the other was a mechanics debate.

And they have the most posts in the thread. >.<

But I guess hating a character is as valid a reason to read a comic as liking a character? If the Dominic Deegan thread has taught us anything, it certainly fuels discussions and hilarity.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

If it was Dominic Deegan Ardon'd be the only character getting any love.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's all that hate filled to say that one of the three mostly likely possible outcomes here is he screws up, kills a team mate, and either get's killed for it or has to kill the other one to survive.

Particularly when my other two theory's are that Ardon get's bailed out when the Kobolt goes badass mode, or Ardon Get's Bailed out by 45 so that he doesn't just get to die for no reason, but rather because he's a colossal jerk.
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Am I the only one that doesn't think Peanut is faking, or least that he doesn't have a "badass mode"? Cause I seem to see this sort of thing get mentioned by other people with no one disputing the theory.

After all, there was no one around to fool when the owl attacked Peanut. Yet Peanut only attacked the owl when next to it and sat perfectly still as a heavy object was dropped on him.

Well no to fool except for the owl, but what would be the point in that?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2013-03-11 at 11:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

PaladinGuy

Oh, I don't think he is faking, he obviously has an hughe psychological trauma, and seems only reacting on instinct. Perhaps he'll grow out of it... then again, perhaps not.

Also, update.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh my. Well, I hope Ardon was right on this one. For his own good.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Particularly since if he wasn't, he just murdered a member of his own party in cold blood for no reason other then he though it was the fastest way to save his own skin.

And if that proves to be the case, Next couple of Panels had better Feature Odie blowing him out of existence, or once again, I may be dropping this one from my web comic rotation.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Particularly since if he wasn't, he just murdered a member of his own party in cold blood for no reason other then he though it was the fastest way to save his own skin.

And if that proves to be the case, Next couple of Panels had better Feature Odie blowing him out of existence, or once again, I may be dropping this one from my web comic rotation.
    Are you talking about Peanut?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Ardon was quick to decide others should die since it's an illusion.
    I wonder what will happen in round 3 if he gets to be the target...

17. - Top - End - #107

PaladinGuy

Assuming he was right, and that round 3 follows the same pattern... It would be a bit tricky. Ardon never attack directly if he can help it, so, he'll ressort to "direct the strike" and such... that the party members can ignore (well, Peanut won't, as we were just shown, but since he, well, can't move on his own, it's just a matter of tanking the first attack, and then walking away).

Sooo... that's probably not what's gonna happen.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm honestly getting bored of the illusion thing and really hope we don't get a third round of the same game.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I about the only person who doesn't hate Ardon?
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Most of us hate him, in a love-to-hate-him way. His sociopathy is entertaining, drives party dynamics, and is muted by how he's doomed to failure by plot. He's not a likeable character, nor is he supposed to be.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I'm honestly getting bored of the illusion thing and really hope we don't get a third round of the same game.
    I was too, so I'm a bit disapointed with the new update. Hopefully it will jump ahead to the end of round 3.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

22. - Top - End - #112
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

What the...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, now that is funny. Both the search for the illusion that would actually get Peanut to respond, and the solution finally found.

I'm curious to see what it will do for Ardon, especially with him having figured out so much of the scheme already.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My guess for Ardon's round:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It will tell Ardon that the final round will begin as soon as he starts playing his role, and that it knows not only that it doesn't need illusions for this (since Ardon wants to get it over with) but knows that it couldn't trick him anyways.

The real trick will be figuring out that they are all actually awake for Ardon's round.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2013-03-14 at 01:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114

PaladinGuy

Well, apparently, Peanut gets to go first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ardon may be my favourite, but this was nothing short of hilarious.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

YES!!!!!

Justice is sweet, and that was a freaking riot!
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Don't do it Peanut, only pain and terror resides behind that lock..

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

No, no, just Ardon's brain. His evil, evil brain.

That I totally bet makes a sweet toy if you can get it. I'm just saying.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ardon's evil does not deserve having redundancy be used for emphasis. He is evil sure, but not as evil as other web comic protagonists. In his own twisted way he does care about Odivallus, and possibly Ell given his hesitance here.

Personally, with one or two temporary exceptions, I am amongst those that doesn't hate Ardon.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

What bothers me about Ardon is that he is a classic roll player in a role playing group.

Everyone who ever played in such a group feels the pain of the others (as well as the DM)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually like Ardon.
    As long as he's not in my party.
    Or my city.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.