New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Eureka/Warehouse 13

While I usually don't try to watch the Syfy channel much, for better or worst I loved these two shows.

Sadly, just last week Eureka had it's series finale. While it's nice to see something come to it's conclusion (usually anyways, after a decent run), I'm still going to miss it I guess.

However, today is the long awaited (for me if no one else) premiere for season 4 of Warehouse 13. Last season ended on a really rather serious cliffhanger and it will be interesting to see where things go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For-mentioned Warehouse destroyed and nearly half the main cast killed off.

So, is anyone else fan of ether show?
    If so, comments on how Eureka ended and/or what you expect for Warehouse 13?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Eureka/Warehouse 13

I'm not sure whether it's McClintlock or the writers that ruin Warehouse 13 for me more. Good premise, actors, great production values, it should be much better.

The mystery watch was pretty prominent (we don't know what it does?), so I'll call that the spoiler doesn't actually happen.

3. - Top - End - #3

Yeah, negating the events of the previous would be a pretty easy call. There's also the matter of Jinx and the metronome; seems straight forward, but the wiki summery of tonight's episode makes it sound rather sinister.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The problem with Warehouse 13 is that I've been spoiled by the SCP Foundation. They're a horror equivalent, only they're so much better at their jobs. If something gets loose, it's because something went horribly wrong, not because someone was walking down the aisle of supernatural objects and tripped. In and of itself, the show is okay, but it has missed potential with some of the plotlines.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

And don't forget the Alpha's crossovers between all three too, which has just strted its second season.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I like the tact they are taking with this season, of using classic reset-buttons (Time Travel and Ressurection), with the plot focusing on the consequences, rather than just resetting things.

Concerning Steve, I think he was underused. He showed up, was a fun character for a few episodes, then was expelled, then died. He still dosn't seem like a cast regular, but maybe now that he's a metronome-zombie that can be changed.

Concerning Warehouse 13 vs SCP foundation, I think the ideal would be somewhere between the two. Warehouse 13 is saying "We have a large number of potentially dangerous objects, and it is crucial that they are kept safe and secure, so we're going to put them in Nevada with an old Codebreaker, two increasingly unprofessional secret service agents, an ATF agent, a psychic innkeeper, and a teenager with a history of mental problems". The Regents have enough guards to protect random office buildings they are meeting in. Why not detail some of those guys to protect The Warehouse, AKA The Purpose of the entire organization. I think they could stand to take their own premise a little more seriously.

The SCP foundation on the other hand sometimes reads like it's a bunch of people trying to one-up each other with how Creepy and Dangerous they can make their SCP's, how intricate they can make the storage protocols, and how many D-Class personnel they can have their SCP kill on a daily basis.

If we could get some happy medium between the absurd lack of support on Warehouse 13, and the relentless creepiness of the SCP foundation.

Also, something that bugs me, concerning Professionalism.

The original premise was you had Logic vs Intuition, How Wacky! They dropped that pretty quickly, and the show is better for it. But in later seasons the Warehouse staff has gotten significantly less professional.

IIRC, in early seasons they wore suits, worked with local authorities, and looked like government agents carrying out an investigation. There was one very short scene at the start of a season 1 episode (I think the one where Claudia first shows up), where Pete and Myka have just retrieved something from a zoo. They're both disheveled, covered in Monkey-poo, and swearing that they'll never go back to a zoo again. It's funny because it's a break from their usual professionalism. They kicked back while hanging around the warehouse or the B&B, but on the job they looked, and acted, like they were trying to get things done.

Compare that to the most recent episode, the suits and ties have been replaced by army jackets and sweaters, Myka looks like a crazy person and Pete acts like he's constantly two beers away from declaring a toga party. The Winchesters on Supernatural make more convincing government agents, and they're wanted fugitive murderhobos. It seems like increasingly Myka's job is to make references to literature, Pete's job is to make references to movies and comic books, Artie's job is to make references to history, and Claudia's job is to look things up on google.

Prediction Time:
    Spoiler
    Show

The whole "Evil that will live with you for the rest of your life"= An increasingly all-consuming sense of Fear and Paranoia. They've been talking about it like it creates some sort of external demon. But, consider
    "Will live with you for the rest of your life", because it's you, because you've gone crazy. It ends when you die (or find the inevitable macguffin that fixes it).
    The example they give of the last person to use the Astrolabe? Robesspierre, citing the Terror as the "Evil" in question. But the Terror wasn't some malignant force that plagued Robespierre, it was his doing, as he got increasingly paranoid and started seeing enemies everywhere.

It's almost as if he started having dreams of people he trusted betraying him, and decided that he had to strike first.

Hrm...say...wasn't Magellan's expedition at one point plagued by a Mutiny? (According to Wikipedia, some of the captains tried to mutiny, but it wasp ut down, one guy was killed and two were marooned) That could make a guy paranoid.
    Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally, a thread in which I can talk about my second-favorite TV show (the first being White Collar and the third being Once Upon a Time): Warehouse 13.

As to the identity of the "evil", I like the idea mentioned in the post above mine. I'm getting ready to watch the second episode of season four right now.

Claudia's totally my favorite character, with Artie next.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I have only kinda thought that Warehouse 13 was kind of a spinoff from the miniseries "The Lost Room". Despite being very different in character.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

I'm a fan of Warehouse 13. It's a good, fun show. Sure, it's just X-files 3.0(as 2.0 was Bones), but I liked the X-Files too.

And I do like shows with good senses of humor, but W13 does bug me a lot as they make it out to be 'just a dumb show' and not a 'serious show'. Things like there are no guards or agents to help out. And they can't use any of the items in the warehouse(yea, i know every single item has a horrible curse..oh, except when the bad guy uses it...or the good guy has to use it to live).

And I don't like the wimpy tesla guns. Yea, he made them and they are great...sometimes. But they don't always work and only get one shot anyway. Gosh too bad the agents are not Secret Service agents and have real guns too. But guess when Napoleons Underpants are about to destroy the world, that is not 'serious' enough to pull iut a real gun.

I like that the show has a slight hint of a darker mystery.....but don't like how they go like 10 shows and just ignore all that dark mythology.

And I was not the happiest fan when the girl 'Welsly Crusher' joined the show.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Girl View Post
    I'm a fan of Warehouse 13. It's a good, fun show. Sure, it's just X-files 3.0(as 2.0 was Bones), but I liked the X-Files too.

And I do like shows with good senses of humor, but W13 does bug me a lot as they make it out to be 'just a dumb show' and not a 'serious show'. Things like there are no guards or agents to help out. And they can't use any of the items in the warehouse(yea, i know every single item has a horrible curse..oh, except when the bad guy uses it...or the good guy has to use it to live).

And I don't like the wimpy tesla guns. Yea, he made them and they are great...sometimes. But they don't always work and only get one shot anyway. Gosh too bad the agents are not Secret Service agents and have real guns too. But guess when Napoleons Underpants are about to destroy the world, that is not 'serious' enough to pull iut a real gun.

I like that the show has a slight hint of a darker mystery.....but don't like how they go like 10 shows and just ignore all that dark mythology.

Concerning the Tesla Guns: it bugs me how little they are used.

You have a nonlethal weapon that deals no permanent damage, is about as easy to use as a standard pistol, and wipes the short-term memory of whoever gets hit with it. That removes most of the downsides normally associated with shooting people. And yet you frequently get them holding people at Teslapoint, at one point Pete has McPherson in his sights, but dosn't shoot, allowing Mcpherson to kill some redshirt cops with an evil bell or whatever.
    With the Teslas, you CAN shoot first and ask questions later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I have only kinda thought that Warehouse 13 was kind of a spinoff from the miniseries "The Lost Room". Despite being very different in character.
    To date, Warehouse 13, Alphas and Eureka are all part of a shared universe. Which kinda makes sense with Jinx and Lattimer really, both are Alphas with minor abilities.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Girl View Post

Actually, Artie shot HG Wells in the season finale two seasons ago, but it came out as kind of a disaster because she was wearing the Karamazov Brothers vest and the bullet wound ended up hitting him as well.

Personally, I've really liked this season so far.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I tried to watch, but could never really get far. Mostly because I was just coming out of finishing BSG, and was still in that grimdark frame of mind.
    But it was the humor that really killed it. They have a good moment, something fairly tense, which I can actually take seriously, and they kill it with some very bad humor.
    It's not that I object to lightening the mood a little, it's just that it can be done a lot, lot better.
    Maybe I just need to watch a little further.
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    And don't forget the Alpha's crossovers between all three too, which has just strted its second season.
    Crossover? I must have missed that. I'd drifted away from Warehouse 13 as the characters were beginning to get on my nerves, and I've just not had the time to stay up-to-date on Eureka.

Alphas still has my attention, however. Tell me of this crossover event?

EDIT: And, note, I did see Fago's appearance on W13 as well as Claudia's tour of Eureka. I just don't think I've seen the Alphas mixed with either even though I've been waiting for such an event.
    Last edited by Fragenstein; 2012-08-01 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    Crossover? I must have missed that. I'd drifted away from Warehouse 13 as the characters were beginning to get on my nerves, and I've just not had the time to stay up-to-date on Eureka.

Alphas still has my attention, however. Tell me of this crossover event?

EDIT: And, note, I did see Fago's appearance on W13 as well as Claudia's tour of Eureka. I just don't think I've seen the Alphas mixed with either even though I've been waiting for such an event.
    Okay s you say, ou've noticed this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Donovan

The other is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Vanessa_Calder

unless you were watching both series at the same time, it would be easy to miss, as it was I did a doubletake when I saw it and re-watched the Alpha's episode, just to be sure.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Okay s you say, ou've noticed this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Donovan

The other is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Vanessa_Calder

unless you were watching both series at the same time, it would be easy to miss, as it was I did a doubletake when I saw it and re-watched the Alpha's episode, just to be sure.
    Ah. I remember Artie and the Magic Appendix. I also remember Warehouse 2, but I never actually paid any attention to Lindsay Wagner in either. Which is weird because I should have recognized her instantly as the principle from Sky High... oh, and that Wonder Woman show she was on a while back.

But somehow I think I completely missed Never Let Me Go. Was that the 'zombie' episode? If so, it would explain why I didn't pay much attention.

And now I've learned that Summer Glau played Skylar. I'm learning a lot, today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

But somehow I think I completely missed Never Let Me Go. Was that the 'zombie' episode? If so, it would explain why I didn't pay much attention.
    I think so.

And now I've learned that Summer Glau played Skylar. I'm learning a lot, today!
    I was half-expecting her character to enter Eureka at some point but was sadly disappointed when it never happened.

18. - Top - End - #18

Considering the not one but two crossovers with Eureka and with Eureka ending just as W13 was starting back up, I really was kinda hoping for W13 to 'pick up' a Eureka cast member somehow. More just wishful thinking in wanting to see some of those characters continue on I guess, but you have to admit that the timing would have been perfect for something like that to happen.