New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Slayers of the Red [IC]

After days of searching, gathering information, and preparations you are near the end of your latest quest. Your group had been relaxing from your latest endeavor when you were contacted by the emissary of a local ruler. Instructing all of his servants and advisers to leave he began reciting a story to you. A long time ago this area was ruled over by a wizard-king. As these stories often go he was a violent and insane tyrant, and much like other similar stories a conspiracy was started to overthrow him. He was too powerful to try to rebel against openly, so they had to be clever about it.

With the help of an unknown arcanist they concocted a plan to seal away the king. Claiming the stranger knew the secret of immortality, they tricked the king into submitting to a ritual that ripped out the king's soul and sealed it in a gem. Upon completion, the stranger took the gem and the deceased king's body and stated he would hide it so that no one would ever find it, because as he said should the gem ever be destroyed his spirit would be released to wreak havoc upon the world again.

It wasn't until decades later when the leader of the conspiracy, now the aging king, came across an old book describing a ritual that strongly resembled the one that was used to seal away the former king. The ritual was one used to create something called a lich. Upon consulting his fellow co-conspirators who had assisted in the ritual they concluded the ritual they had used was indeed one used to create a lich, but was designed to not require as expensive materials. In return it would take a considerable amount of time for the magic to fully work its course and transform the subject into a lich.

Realizing they were betrayed they began searching everywhere for the stranger who had performed the ritual, but never found him.

Generations passed, and the king never returned. But recently the current ruler received a letter written in an archaic dialect. While he did not relate its message to you he said it confirmed the king had finally risen as a lich and was preparing to strike against his usurpers.

And now you stand inside a vast subterranean tomb, accessed by a portal created by an eclipse's reflection on a forgotten lake. You made your way past deadly traps, vicious guardian monsters, and treacherous illusions. At last you stand before the final chamber, no doubt where the king resides.

Spoiler
    Show
    I want everyone to roll a linguistics check before you go in.
    Last edited by tsumechk; 2013-08-19 at 12:37 PM.
    Why is it that every single D&D game is some super complex, heavy roleplay and skill based game that makes combat based characters dead weight? It's called Dungeons and Dragons, sometimes I just want to fight some Dragons in some Dungeons.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Slayers of the Red [IC]

Marson marched up the door, stretching a bit and planting his trident into the floor. "Ah, this door is impressive looking.....so, has anyone come up with some kind of plan. I'm beginning to notice my usual tact of 'March up to the bad guy and request they surrender and submit to my authority.' seems to not be doing so well lately."

As he spoke, he used Detect Evil to see if there was any evil auras coming off of the door, perhaps giving a clue as to what sort of darkness lies inside.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Devrin strolled up alongside Marson, resting his left hand on his Spellbook (attached to the blue sash he wears over his shoulder). "Aye, my old friend. Would make things easier. Alas, most villains don't seem keen on the idea of submitting to any authority but their own."
    He gestured back towards the previous room that had been filled with traps. Smirking, he turned back to Marson.
    "And given the 'welcome' this one set for us, I'd say we're in for the usual response, eh?"

Drawing his Scimitar, he walked up to the door and cast Detect Magic, searching for any suspicious auras.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ALI'C'EA

For now, the drow bard hangs a step back from the door, it has never been her role to lead the way into a room, especially one that might contain a lich. She does however, move forward a step to check to see if there are any traps on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[29] Perception
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There does not seem to be any magic coming from the door or the surrounding area, and there also don't seem to be any traps laid.

Staring at the door Agyen decides to check to see if there's any sort of magic coming from the door. When nothing comes up for him as well he turns to the group and says, "If you'd give me some time I could use some protective spells on you all. When I heard we might be going up against a lich I took the opportunity to dedicate to dedicate the divine portion of my spells to dealing with that sort of thing."

Spoiler
    Show

First using Detect Magic. If allowed he will cast Death Ward on Devrin and Marson (he'd cast it on all of you, but he only has two fourth level spells lots (aside from domains) and he figures those two will need it more), Hide from Undead on the entire group, and Communal Protection from Evil.
    Why is it that every single D&D game is some super complex, heavy roleplay and skill based game that makes combat based characters dead weight? It's called Dungeons and Dragons, sometimes I just want to fight some Dragons in some Dungeons.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Marson smiles as Agyen starts casting some defensive buffs.

"Well friend, if you have the defense, I have a few things for offense."

As he says this, he blesses the weapons of himself, Devrin, and Shion.

"Now then..." Marson kneeled. "Iomedae, may my weapon strike true against evil and justice be delivered on the guilty who hide themselves and their evil from the rays of the sun." As he finished, he stood up as his trident let off a light. "I'm ready whenever the rest of you are."

Spoiler
    Show
    I expend my three level 1 slots to cast Bless Weapon on my Trident, Devrin's Scimitar, and whichever weapon Shion wants, I don't know what he uses most often so I'll let Magatsu decide what gets buffed.
    Then I use my Divine Bond to add the Holy weapon property to my Trident.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ALI'C'EA

Dropping back into her usual defensive position, Ali'c'ea unslings her lute, readying herself to cast her bard Inspire Courage as soon as its needed.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

"Yah."
    His smile fading, Devrin nodded and cast his own defensive spells as the other spells were being cast.

Striding to the front of the dooor, he muttered a brief prayer."Dawnflower, guide our blades to swift justice of this evil and, fortune willing, guide his broken soul back to the light of the dawn."

Sighing, he readied his sword.
    "Ready."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Shield and Mirror image (3 on the die, 6 images total) on myself. At the door, I'm waiting for us to begin opening the door to spend a point from my Arcane Pool to enhance my weapon with Keen, Flaming, and an additional +1.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

When the Slayers of the REd needed an experienced covert operative to help them with traps and other obstacles in the wizard-king's tomb, Shion Asanagi gladly volunteered her services. From what she knew of them, they were trustworthy enough, though there was always that small part of her that still believed that even unequivocal do-gooders like the Slayers would somehow find a way to backstab her. As inconvenient as it could be at times, paranoia was still one of the keys to her continued survival as an adventurer.

Shion's cautiousness continued to serve her well as she and the Slayers made their way into the wizard-king's tomb. The traps safeguarding the complex were little issue for her, and she held her own against the guardians. Now, all that was standing between her and the final objective was a single door. The drow bard's appraisal of the door yielded nothing out of the ordinary, which still registered as suspicious to Shion. Why would the king leave the door to his chamber unguarded like that? She suspected a trap within the chamber itself, but she had nothing to base it on other than her own intuition.

"I've got a bad feeling about this," Shion whispered as she unsheathed her trusty wakizashi once more. Trap or not, she and the rest of the party still had a lich to cut up. They'd already made it this far, and they were going to see it through to the end.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like bless weapon cast on my wakizashi.
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Marson shrugged. "Bad feelings come with the job...not that I could be afraid of what's behind this door if I wanted to be. Now then..."

Marson started up to the door and began pushing it open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone wants to do something else first, Marson will volunteer to be the one opening the door.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As you begin to push the door open a deep mechanical rumble can be heard as the door begins moving itself open once it was pushed to a certain extent. The room beyond is dark and expansive. A wide stone walkway lined with pale blue torches extends from the doorway to the other side. On each side of the pathway is a pitch black abyss that seems to go on forever. At the end of the pathway is staircase leading up to a large platform, decorated with five enormous statues of dragons. In the center of the platform is a pool of water.

Spoiler
    Show

Pathway is 50 ft wide and 100 ft long. Platform is circular, and has a radius of one hundred feet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Marson held his trident in front of him to light up what he can, slowly moving forward and looking around, keeping an eye out for any signs of the lich.

Spoiler
    Show
    I light as far as I can with the trident. It only lights up as much as a normal torch would, so with the torches in the room, it seems redundant, but meh.

Also, I maintain Detect Evil as I make my way to the platform.

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

Devrin walked up towards Marson, weapon on guard, looking around in the shadows for signs of danger.
    "I have your back."

Spoiler
    Show
    While matching pace with Marson, I'm making a perception check to see if I can make out any strange shapes or movement in the shadows as we walk by. (1d20+10)[26] Perception.
    If I see anything odd, I'm going to call attention to it and try and cast light on it or an object near it.

P.S. Can't believe I forgot to prepare Dancing Lights instead of Light. Means I can't send a glowing illusion into the danger for me. >.<
    Last edited by Thrair; 2013-08-07 at 08:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ALI'C'EA

The drow will wait until all of the rest of the members move onto the path, then she will move out, taking the last row of the group. She also watches the shadows, with her darkvision, for signs of trouble

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[23] Perception
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aside from the odd color of the torches and the obvious danger of falling off the sides, nothing seems to be too threatening. However once you begin to get closer to the platform Marson's sensory ability begins to feel the presence of evil. Almost as if on cue the pool in the center begins to bubble, and what was once clear water begins to darken until it was pitch black. After a few seconds pass the bubbling ceases, and a figure rises from the pool. It is wearing a porcelain death mask, and tattered robes.

Once its feet touch the stone floor, runes begin to light up all around the platform, encircling the edges, and surrounding the five dragon statues. The runes around the dragons grow brighter and brighter as cracks begin to form all over the statues with the same faint blue light of the torches shining through the fractures.

The light soon fades leaving only the runes surrounding the platform remaining. With a loud sound of breaking stone the statues begin to move.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative.

Agyen's (1d20+2)[7]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Marson quickly readied his trident. "Look alive people, we're under attack!"

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+5)[13]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shion took up the second line of the formation, following just behind Marson and Devrin. She brought up her wakizashi as soon as she saw the lich start rising from the pool. "Told you I had a bad feeling about this," she snarked as she observed the dragon statues start coming to life. "How are we dividing up the targets? I can't take the statues, but maybe I can try going for the lich himself..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+11)[25]
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ALI'C'EA

With her lute already out, Ali'c'ea prepares to cast one of her boosting spells.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[21] init
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Grimacing, Devrin prepared to cast a spell and settle into his combat stance.
    "I'll go for the Lich, if I can! Mind the statues!"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[16]Initiative.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Alright, here goes nothing..."

Shion sprung into action and made a beeline straight for the lich, hoping to catch the abomination off guard while Aygren's hide from undead spell was still in effect. Once it was within arm's reach, she raised her wakizashi above her head and brought it down onto the creature, hoping to score a nasty hit...

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+14)[15]
    Assuming it hits: (1d6+2)[4]
    Additional sneak attack damage (yay for it working against undead in PF): (2d6)[4]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ALI'C'EA

As Shion springs into action, Ali'c'ea prepares to make her own brand of contribution. Her first step is to use her Inspirational Boost spell to make her bardic powers that much better, and then launches into her bardic performance, inspiring her teammates to even greater heights in battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Inspirational Boost
    Move action: Bardic Performance: Inspire Courage
    all allies receive +3 to hit, +3 on damage, +3 on saves vs. charm,fear
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Even if the spell had been concealing you from the lich had worked, it definitely wasn't anymore. Taking a step back he begins casting a spell. Extending his arm, a bolt of electricity arcs from his fingertips at the woman who just attacked him, and arcing towards others within rang. As soon as the lightning fades away he lifts his other hand and fires five violet orbs of energy from his hand at the woman as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Five foot step back, cast Chain Lightning, swift action Quickened Magic Missile

I'm assuming that Devrin and Marson are close enough that Chain Lightning can arc to them if they were close enough to be able to move up to and attack the lich on their turn (fairly certain they were within 30 ft). If they aren't keep in mind they are over 30 ft away when you start your turn. I'm also assuming that since Alicea and Agyen have little reason to be close that they're far enough away to not be hit by it.

DC for chain lightning is 22, 20 for the secondary targets (so Marson and Devrin).
    Chain Lightning Damage (reduce by half if you make your save)
    (11d6)[38]

Magic Missile Damage (All are being directed towards Shion)
    (5d5+5)[19]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, I'm dead," Shion muttered to herself as she attempted to dodge the bolt, only to catch five magic missiles right to the gut. She doubted whether she was going to walk away from all of this alive...

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save: (1d20+15)[30]

If Reflex save fails: 33 hp left
    If Reflex save succeeds: 52 hp left

Turned out her training hadn't been a complete waste as she completely evaded the deadly projectile. She still felt bad for those of her comrades who'd take the full force of it, though...
    Last edited by Magatsu Izanagi; 2013-08-10 at 12:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

Devrin growled in pain as the Lightning coursed through him.
    Seeing the Lich's followup assault on an ally, his eyes narrowed slightly. Settling into his combat stance, he dashed towards the Lich and swung outward with his sword.
    "Hello, 'sire'."

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action to settle into Crane Style. Move action to run up to the Lich. Standard to Attack.

Reflex vs Chain Lightning: (1d20+10)[17]
    Attack roll (Defensive): (1d20+17)[28]
    Damage if it hits: (1d6+11)[16], plus Flaming's (1d6)[4].
    Last edited by Thrair; 2013-08-10 at 10:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The attack doesn't seem to cause much damage to the lich. In response one of the dragon statues moves in on Devrin and attempts to bite him, but misses completely.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Marson does what he can about avoiding the lightning, then pointing his trident at the Lich. "Evil undead! You pervert the cycle of life and death and no longer belong in the world of light." He then rushes at the Lich, jabbing his trident at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save vs Chain Lightning
    (1d20+8)[20]

Swift Action-Declare Smite Evil against the Lich.

Full-Round: Charge the Lich.
    Attack Roll vs AC
    (1d20+24)[40](+2 from Charge, +4 from Smite Evil)
    Damage roll
    [roll]1d8+2d6+28[/roll](+20 from first Smite Evil hit vs Evil Undead, +2d6 from Holy weapon property)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fixed damage roll
    (1d8+28)[34]+(2d6)[9]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The attack tears into the lich, and you can feel several of its bones being shattered from the attack. In response two of the other stone dragons move closer to Marson and lash out with their fangs and while the first one misses, the second one manages to hit

Spoiler
    Show

I should note that I do NPC rolls offscreen. This is partly for the benefit of the party since it lets me lower rolls if, say, an enemy that's supposed to just be a quick fight does a crit with max damage and kills a weakened PC when that wasn't supposed to happen. Also speeds up NPC posts. Agyen will use the forum roller like you guys though.

Anyway, 19 damage to Marson

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Taking a few quick steps forward stopping a good distance away from the lich and his servants, Agyen begins gesturing with his left hand. Fire begins to form around the edge of his sword, and he says, "Agninadi" and swings the sword, sending an arc of fire towards the lich.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by tsumechk; 2013-08-10 at 09:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Screwed up dice rolls

Moved 20 ft closer to the lich and casts Burning Arc. DC 18 reflex for half, then it arcs to one of the dragons for 5d6 damage, DC 16 for half arcs to the second dragon for 2d6 damage, and arcs to the third statue for 1d6 damage.
    (10d6+1)[33]
    (5d6)[21]
    (2d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]