Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1230
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    "So Demos, think we could rub two coppers together and get a couple of ales and discuss? Might be a good chance to figure out who each other are, seeming as we are working together, for this at any rate"
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Michiko's eyes widen in surprise, and she stumbles backwards, when Lyrie transforms. By the All-Seeing Eye, there's more of us. The girl shakes her head, before looking over at the rest of the group. "I need to head home; my parent's will be worrying. I'll try to make it here fairly early tomorrow, though." She gives the rest a wide smile and wave, before turning and heading home. And they will want to hear about Lyrie...
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Calenestel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    573955.5"N, 120614" E
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Susannah had eyed the gunslinger curiously when he had voiced his fears. It had struck her as... maybe not uncharacteristic for the man, she hadn't known Demos that long really after all... but very out-of-the-blue. That he had seemed so frightened had been hard for her to respond to and at first she had simply just eyed him, the mask obscuring the look of almost comical disbelief at the gunslinger's concerns. But then ser Toland had spoken up, trying to soothe the nervous man and she had been quick to add her own voice of comfort, talking as much to Kiernan as the gunslinger. "Our paladin friend is right, Demos. And not only that, it's more within reason that if there is something down there, just simply opening the vault, or whatever we should call this, and entering isn't enough to release it. It's illogical to build a prison that you cannot enter to make sure that the inmate is still held securely, isn't it. If, however, the magics have faded, or if there has been more tunnels made by the beetles, then something may have been released with no fault of ours, and then it's our duty to find out."
    Not that she was sure what they would be able to do about it, but great, wandering heroes were in short supply in the city at this time of the year.

    When they had safely returend above, and promised the guards not to tell on them, Susannah had asked everyone to gather around and released wave upon wave of positive energy, making sure that not even a bruise remained on the courageous volounteers she had already started to feel a certain kinship to. That Lyrie turned out to be not quite human had made her eyebrows rise, but she kept her body language in check and with her face obscured she had seemed to take it entirely in stride. And when she was certain that her voice would not quaver (it usually pays off to keep an air of mystique in her line of work) she had simply told the other that she'd join them as soon as she'd regained her spells and left for her parent's house, much like Michiko. Of course, she didn't live there anymore, but it was a bit too far to walk to her own cabin outside of the city, her own family wouldn't turn her away for the rest of the night. And it would be good to see her little sister again.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

    Big thanks to Savannah for the AWESOME Papa Wolf avatar!


  4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The elf salutes the girl and bows her head in a small nod of respect as the draped woman walks off.

    To the men she says, "Right. I'll join you for a drink. I do want to keep a clear head, though. I've not seen this much excitement in years."





    OOC: I don't want to drag out IC chatting and hold things up, just staying in character. Do we want to skip the conversation or do it quickly or what? If the other PCs make it obvious they aren't comfortable with her there she'll have a drink and leave.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The next morning, Michiko walks towards the manor, a slight spring in her step, a bright smile playing upon her face, and with a basket of apples in the crook of her arm. She pauses upon seeing the Tengu, before waving in an attempt toi catch his attention. "Hi! You must be the man that Lyrie mentioned last night!"She gives a slight bow before continuing. "My name is Michiko, and I'm our little party's sorceress." She then pulls out an apple from the basket, throwing it in the air before catching it and holding it out to the Tengu.
    "You want one? I haven't eaten yet, so I figured I'd bring some food along."
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    Arriving early, by at least an hour, the party finds Toland sitting with some guards out in front of the Stormscale house. Him and five others are sitting around a table, playing a game of cards. The Paladin is bare chested, his armor and weapons to the side and a stein of ale within easy reach. His pile of coppers is considerbly larger than the others around him, but the group is laughing.

    "Hold on, I want to show you guys something. Watch this" he says with a reckless smile. He takes the dagger from his sheath and at first balances the point on his index finger, holding the knife pin straight. The group boos and guffaws, and one throws a bread roll at the Paladin, and it catches him in the face and ruins both his balance and concentration.

    "Oh, saw that one huh? Well, have a look at this" he smirks. He takes a belt of beer, slams down the stein of ale and spreads his fingers on the table. Looking around with a smirk, he grabs the soldier next to him and shoves the man's palm under his own and forces both of their fingers to spread wide.

    Taking the dagger in hand, his face returns to an expression of dangerous intensity. The man look at him with an expression of fear and astonishment in his face, when Toland jams the dagger down between both of their fingers. The man yells in fright and the group laughs. So does Toland.

    "One gold piece I can do it. Any takers?" he asks the group. Two of the men raise their hand. "Two for, three against alrighty" he smirks. Noting it, he smiles at the soldier he is partnered with and stares back at their joined hands.

    The dagger starts moving rapidly, stabbing left between a finger than right again twice, than left and right again before jumping to the other finger. His pace increases rapidly as the knife clunks into the table and the man hollars in terror. Toland looks at him and matches the hollar's intensity, roaring as he went through the knife trick routine. He crosses the hand to the left, the right, the left and the right again before stopping. Flipping the knife into the wooden table, which looked a lot like the one he had tried to body slam into the skeletons the day before, he throws both of their hands up into the air.

    "No blood!" ye proclaims, than beats his broad chest with his free hand. "Pass'em over, gents! It's for the Temple, pay up"

    The group laughed, even his partner albeit a bit nerveously. He covered a wet spot in his pants strategically with one hand as he did so. Three gold coins are pushed into the center, and Toland snatches them up. He smiles at his partner and slides one gold coin to the man.

    "That'll be one for you, one for me, and one for the Temple" he announces, sliding both of his coins into his coin purse. The man gratefully accepts; a gold piece was a lot of money to a guard. A day's wage for some. The man smiles at Toland and shakes his head.

    "Fella, you're loco! Crazy in the head!" he laughs. "You said you were a Paladin at that stuffy temple? This what you boys do for fun in the rectory?"

    "Well, buggering each other got a little old" Toland laughs and shrugs helplessly.

    "Hey, I want you to try that again with me this time" one of the other guards say, but Toland waves off the request but promises another time. The guards protest his decision, thumping their beer steins on the table and chanting "Loco! Loco! Loco!"

    "Hey buddy, I think your friends are here" someone says, and Toland turns to find the group gathering. He overheards what Michiko says and laughs, than shakes his head.

    "So we're a little party now? I like a good party" he says and winks to her. His eyes seem remarkably... appraising... for a moment and he stand. When he stands, he just keeps standing too, to an impressive height of 6'5 and sharply defined, strong muscles. Statues had been made of lesser men, and Toland knew it too.

    "Well, if the gang's all here, lets get the party started" he pauses and smiles. "I've always wanted to be part of a gang," he says and laughs.

    No doubt the laughter is received by several stone faced or astonished friends.
    Last edited by mshady; 2012-09-19 at 08:54 PM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Sighing at the display in front of the mansion, the elf shakes her head and drags something from her side. She motions for Michiko to follow as she nears the door.

    Walking past the guards to towering paladin, she foists her sack of sling bullets into his chest. "You're obviously overcompensating for something." She releases the bag into his hands and walks off. "Put on your armor."

    Unhesitantly she walks into the house ...

    and back toward the kitchen, examining everything carefully, making certain nothing awful is climbing up from the basement.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If such is the case, she opens the larder and makes herself breakfast.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2012-09-19 at 09:05 PM.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Michiko grins up at the man towering over her. "Well, some of us are little!" She waves her hand over her head as if to prove her point, then chucks an apple in his direction, a playful look in her eye.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    "Overcompensating?" he says and chuckles. "I'm reallllly not" he says and winks.

    "You are not wrong, Miss. Some are little, and count me as glad you came back to the group. I'd hate to see you go."

    Love to watch you leave though. She's little alright. A little cute. Heh.

    Still though, with it time for work, Toland bids his new friends goodbye and starts to don his armor and cloak again. One of them helps him tighten the straps, squiring for the Paladin. Next, he dons his gray cloak and throws it over his shoulder. On the bottom edge is an old blood stain.

    Checking his equipment one last time, he soon follows Jalaera into the mansion and than the larder. He starts looking around the cup boards, and seems surprisingly familar with the kitchen's layout as he quickly locates a loaf of pumpernickle bread, eggs and some other food.

    "So, have a good night off and ready to face the Doom of Dwarves?" he says, pronouncing the last part in a mocking, dramatic voice. "So do you want to tell Demos or shall I tell him sometimes a door is just a door?"
    Last edited by mshady; 2012-09-19 at 09:19 PM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    "A door often is just a door," Jalaera says, passing Toland the butter. "But there's often nothing good to come of digging up the past."

    She makes a face as if she'd bitten into something sour. "But now you've gone and done it, so I can't very well allow you lot to go on down there ... unchaperoned."
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    The Paladin laughs at the "unchaperoned" remark, and thanks the rare education that he received for actually knowing the word's meaning.

    He gestures at her with a butter knife as he talks, smiling of course.

    "You Elves, always so superior. Just because you're at least a hundred years older than me, doesn't mean you actually know more than... Oh wait, you probably do. Have you happened across that strawberry jam? I've been looking for that all night. For the second time"

    He looks around to see if he can find some jam and finds not locating it one of his life's greatest regrets; that was how good it was. Instead settling on a somewhat dry apple, he continues.

    "So yeah, had a couple drinks with Demos last night and stayed here the rest of the night. Figured I should be around in case the door we opened did let something out. Thinking back, I think we should have called it for the night BEFORE we opened the door, don't you? Anyways, I went down the stairs with a wheel barrow and a few big blocks of granite to make sure the door didn't close behind us. I think he might be right 'bout regretting what we may find down there. Not going to say opening it wasn't my idea and throw anyone under a donkey cart 'cus we all did it, but...." he takes a bite of the apple, "lets just call me worried, alright?"

    "Any thought or suggestions, oh wise one? I'd be a fool not to ask, not that age truly grants wisdom but hey, you've been around right? I've only been in the service of Iomedae since I was 12 and didn't earn my rank till all of 2 years ago. As much Squire as Knight right?" he says, in a moment of surprising honesty and humility. He didn't laugh thought.
    Last edited by mshady; 2012-09-19 at 10:45 PM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Looking around, "I don't see any ..."

    Any thought or suggestions, oh wise one?
    "None. It's too late for second-guessing. Let's just finish what was begun and hope the town doesn't suffer if we fail."
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    "I like your clarity in a bad situation" Toland says, and takes a long drink of water out of a mug.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Calenestel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    573955.5"N, 120614" E
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    After sleeping a bit, there wasn't really much night left, and spending quite some time after that in deep meditation as well as a quick breakfast and/or lunch Susannah gathers her belonging and hurries back to the scene of yesterdays excitment, slightly behind the others and missing most of the excitement. So she only catches the last parts of the ongoing discussion on the wisdom of opening the door.
    "This again?" she asks, with mock reproach obvious on her voice. "I'm wise enough to know that second-guessing ourselves isn't going to solve anything."
    Softening her voice to her usual aloof friendliness she adds: "So, are we waiting for anyone? No? Shall we continue where we left off?"

    By the end the masked, white-haired but young-voiced priestess notices the new addition to the group, the tengu and she inclines her head in greeting adding: "And you ought to be the friend Lyrie mentioned. Welcome and well met." The fox-girl's words of not being to quick to judge him suddenly got cast in a slightly different light. Or maybe more of an additional light. She herself knew enough not to prejudge people based on appearance, she very much did. But many others did not and would assume the worst for someone looking like a raven, or like her...
    Last edited by Calenestel; 2012-09-20 at 06:03 AM.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

    Big thanks to Savannah for the AWESOME Papa Wolf avatar!


  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CockroachTeaParty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The last thing Blackbeak was expecting that night was a visit from Lyrie, especially considering it essentially amounted to a job offer. It seemed dangerous, but underground mysteries often resulted in lost treasures from a bygone age. He agreed readily enough.

    The following morning, as the party approaches the manor, they are quick to spot the slouching form of the tengu, clad head to toe in black. Combined with his black feathers, black claws and beak, black scaly skin, and beady black eyes, it is difficult to determine where the bird-man begins and his equipment ends. Skulking in the morning shadows, he watched the paladin's antics silently. Considering the reputation of his kind, one might believe the tengu to be a layabout, or a rogue up to no good. As Blackbeak pondered this, he supposed it was in some ways true.

    Then, suddenly, Michiko approached him, offering an apple and friendly greetings. For a moment he's too shocked to speak (and if anyone knew Blackbeak, this was an accomplishment). He eyes the apple, then fixes a beady eye on the young sorceress.
    "Funny thing about us tengu; we can't actually smile. These beaks aren't much for expression. But you ought to know, I'd be smilin' right now."

    He takes a bite of the apple and walks up to the rest of the group.
    "Mornin' folks. Name's Blackbeak. I figure Lyrie told'ya about me. What she failed to mention is that I'm actually here to rob you, so if you would just place your valuables in this sack you'd make my life a hell of a lot easier, and we can all be on our way."
    He takes another bite of the apple, and produces a black cloth sack, his eyes shining mischeviously.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-09-20 at 09:25 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Calenestel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    573955.5"N, 120614" E
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    If Blackbeak was physically incapable of smiling Susannah was somewhere close to it herself. The mask covering her face from hairline to the neckhigh collar of her dress and even the ears made it impossible to see her smiles. But from the tone of her voice it was rather obvious that she was indeed grinning rather widely at the rogueish tengu. "Well. At least you are nice about it. And the straight forward honesty about it is refreshing. However... I seem to have misplaced all my valuables. Terribly sorry. I am afraid that any proceedings from this muggings will have to be in the form of an I.O.U. Maybe redeemable for a certain amount of curative magic?"
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

    Big thanks to Savannah for the AWESOME Papa Wolf avatar!


  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CockroachTeaParty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The tengu squints at Susannah, before popping the rest of the apple in his beak.
    "Fair enough. I figure if you guys needed my help you couldn't be rich. But I'm not leaving until I've fattened my purse somehow. You'll find my rates quite reasonable: a fair share of any treasure we find in these gods-forsaken tunnels, and in exchange I'll see if I can't help tickle a few locks, savvy?"
    Blackbeak wipes a few stray bits of apple off his beak with the back of a clawed hand.
    "I'll try not to disrupt any system you've already got goin' here. I'm not one for tromping around up front; I prefer stickin' to the shadows, all quiet-like."

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Kiernan approaches the Tengu dejectedly, bending down to slip off his boot. He hefts the tiny shoe and moves to place it in the birdman's bag, getting it about halfway in before pausing and giving Blackbeak a wry smile. The gnome reshods himself and pats Blackbeak on the back. "I like this one! Too many tall folk with no sense of humor!"

    The lot of you gather in Mrs. Stormscale's kitchen and help yourself to a hearty breakfast. Despite having been overrun by skeletons the night before, her larder is well-stocked and provides you a meal fit for a king. Knowing that she won't be returning home for a good while, your consciences are clear as you eat food that would otherwise go to waste. Sitting at the great oak table (Toland's nemesis), you ignore the scratch marks in the finished wood as you eat peacefully and get to know the group's newest member.

    When at last you do decide to descend back into the bowls of the earth, you make your way to the "bell room" without encountering any new troubles. Once you enter the room, however, something becomes immediately obvious: someone was here while you were gone. Sitting near the center of the room is a small chest about the size of a loaf of bread. The box is made entirely of metal and the lid is open, revealing a small horde of polished gems. Several of them have been taken out of the chest and lay nearby on the floor. As if this weren't curious enough, there is a more disturbing sight coming out of the rightmost passageways: a pool of blood.

    With weapons at the ready you move in to investigate, finding that these "passageways" were really just opening into a narrow adjacent room that runs the length of the main chamber. The walls are lined with built-in shelves that house skeletons, likely the same ones being raised by the necromantic knockers. In the center of the room is a great metal coffin that stands upright against the wall. The door is open and a truly gruesome sight is displayed within. It is, or at least was, Lyrie. It seems the young Kitsune was crouching in front of the opened tomb trying to open a secret compartment in its base, located at about navel height. The rogue must have failed to notice the trap that was armed to the hidden door because about a dozen spears have erupted from the back of the coffin, impaling Lyrie where she crouched. Judging by the makeup stains on her face, she was alive long enough to cry and ruin her mascara as she bled out far, far away from anyone who could hear her rasping cries for help.

    The door to the hidden compartment is open, so clearly she only triggered the trap once she opened the little door. Sitting in the small alcove is something wrapped in an old cloth, approximately the shape of a dagger or wand. Investigating the identical chamber on the other side of the bell room reveals a similar side chamber with a similar sarcophagus and a similarly opened (but untrapped) door. Jalaera recalls the click she heard earlier and realizes that Lyrie must have found this hidden compartment with the chest and came back later to try and claim it for herself.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Game
    Dwaer Depths II - Pathfinder
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  19. - Top - End - #259
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Jalaera shakes her head sadly. "Greedy child." She observes the birdman, wondering if he'll prove just as untrustworthy.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CockroachTeaParty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Blackbeak winces at the sight of poor Lyrie. She had been one of the few people in town he could call a friend. To lose one was a devastating blow. Things did not seem to be off to a good start. The tengu squints at Jalaera with glittering eyes before turning away from the grizzly scene, shaking his head. Words seemed somehow inappropriate.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-09-20 at 12:53 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Calenestel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    573955.5"N, 120614" E
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Susannah didn't eat with the others, calmly answering any offers to join and questions about morality with variations of a simple "I have already eaten, thank you. Nono... you can still have some. It would spoil anyway." with no censure in her voice. Instead she sat with the rest and chatted happily about the past and the immediate future. Only when the topic came close to her own background did she lower her voice, quickly steer the subject elsewhere and slowly regain her high spirits. It was rather exhilerating to have danger and adventure waiting by the end of breakfast, after all. The feeling didn't last.

    - - - -

    It had been too much blood, she knew whoever had lost it couldn't be alive. First she had seen the gems and marvelled at the mystery, then she had seen the blood and understood that some brave fool had snuck past the guards and lost his or her life in the pursuit of material wealth. But still she was unprepared for the sight of the fallen. She didn't know what numbed her most, the familiar face or the obvious signs of prolonged suffering. Wordlessly, with a visibly shaking, gloved hand she had stretched out as if checking the body for a pulse but stopped midway. Instead the whitehaired priestess stroked the poor fox girl's hair and started praying. It wasn't a case where no words were appropriate, it just had to be the right words.

    "Pharasma, sweet Lady of Birth and Death and Rebirth. Take this poor soul to your bosom. Cradle her in your dark warmth and comfort her. Lead her on safe paths until she comes to whatever afterlife she is meant for. Dry her tears, soothe her fears and keep her from harm until whatever Deity she calls her own can find her." Without any sign of revulsion the priestess then bent forward to place a kiss on Lyrie's head through her cloth mask and turned to walk away, small spots of moisture darkening the cloth masks beneath her eyes despite the surety of her voice and movements. "We must fetch for someone to take the body away for proper rites and burial. If noone else, then I will."

    Greed might have killed the kitsune, but she wouldn't leave anyone dead like that if she could avoid it. Not even a goblin or orc.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

    Big thanks to Savannah for the AWESOME Papa Wolf avatar!


  22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    At the sight of the blood, Michiko's usually ever-present smile vanishes. It is Lyrie, however, that causes her hand to rise to her mouth involuntarily. She approaches the other Kitsune's body slowly, before kneeling next to her. The teenager looks into Lyrie's lifeless eyes, and begins to speak, loudly and clearly, in a language no one else in the room understands. "Ah, Lyrie. Pam oedd yn rhaid i chi ddod yma ei ben ei hun? Byddem wedi rhannu beth bynnag drysor gwelsom gyda chi. Gallem fod wedi arbed chi o'r dynged ofnadwy. Nid oes llawer ohonom Kitsune, ond rwy'n siwr i'ch hynafiaid a fy mhen fy hun yn edrych i lawr arnom ni yma. Mae'n ddiwrnod trist iawn pan fydd un o'n bath yn marw mor ifanc; wyf yn teimlo bod yna gyfleoedd gwych ar gyfer da o fewn chi. Byddaf yn gwneud yn siŵr eich bod yn cael eich hun gyda rhywun a all wneud y defodau claddu priodol ... Bydd fy rhieni yn ei wneud, yn sicr, os nad oes gennych un. Erbyn y rhosyn tragwyddol, y llygad gyd-weld, ac ar yr ysbryd o fy hynafiaid, ni fyddwch yn cael eu hanghofio. Rest mewn heddwch, cares." She looks over at Susannah, shining tears flowing down her face. "I'll do it." The girl lays her hand upon Lyrie's face, closing her eyes and magicking away the ruined mascara in one movement. "I hate to ask this of you, Blackbeak, but you knew her best. Did she have any relatives we can contact?"
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CockroachTeaParty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pie factory.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The tengu bows his head respectfully as the litanies go on. When Michiko speaks to him his head snaps back to attention. He shrugs.
    "...She and I were in a similar boat, in a lot of ways. Not a lot of tengus around here, and I never remember hearing anything about her family. I guess the fox-folk can take on human guise, but she never told me of her kin."
    He moves over to the chest of jewels, the pull of shiny things too much for his mind to bear even in the wake of the tragedy. He daintily picks up a gem with his claws, examining it with an expert's eye.

    Spoiler
    Show

    APPRAISE CHECK HOLY CRAP: (1d20+6)[12]

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    "In that case, I think we should bring her to my parents. They'll know what to do."
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Kiernan stands beside Lyrie's body, seemingly in shock. Several tears leak from his eyes but he otherwise maintains his composure as he begins to sing, softly, a funeral dirge. He is no great singer, but he sings quietly at the lower end of his register as he grabs hold of Lyrie's shoulders and moves to pull her from the spears.

    He lays her body down and folds her hands, giving her a gentle repose until the body can be properly dealt with. With a note of finality he gives her body a nod as he gets to his feet and moves to the bloodied trap, reaching in to retrieve the item wrapped in cloth. He grabs for it gingerly and moves far away from the sarcophagus before unwrapping it. Inside is an ornate dagger. The blade is simple and unadorned but shines brightly even in the dim light. The handle is slightly longer than one would expect for a dagger and seems to be a dark metal inlaid with mithril filigree. The dagger has no guard and the blade is is the same width as the handle. The gnome holds it out in front of him silently, staring at it with a mix of sadness and curiosity. He grips the cloth in such a way that he isn't actually touching the dagger, just presenting it out in front of him.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2012-09-20 at 04:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Game
    Dwaer Depths II - Pathfinder
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    The elf remains quiet and at a distance, aloof and alert, respectful but uncomfortable.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jalaera Winterwind, Arctic Elf Ranger
    Jalaera image
    Jalaera OOTS
    Oren, Cleric of the Silver Flame
    TRON d20 game Sarah Whitfield


    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    "Why do the caterpillar and the ant have to be enemies? One eats leaves, and the other eats caterpillars. Oh, I see now. "

    - Jack Handy


  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    He stands and looks at the scene, but finds he is not overwhelmed with emotion for Lyrie at all. It was a gruesome way to die, but it was a destiny she was probably heading for.

    Like I did not see this coming...

    When Kiernan finishes his dirge and respects for Lyrie, Toland walks over and crouches near the trap. He takes out his dagger and scraps off some of the blood to find it sticky and coagulated but hardly dry.

    "She's been here awhile" he announces and stands back up. He sheathes his knife was a casual movement and gestures to Lyrie.

    "Look, she seemed like a good kid but lets keep this in perspective. She lied to us about quitting our little expedition, than came back and tried to steal a treasure most of you were going to share. Too bad, but you'll find me shedding no tears here. I'm with the Elf. Greedy child. Out on the street, if anyone stole a bag full of valuable gems off you, justice would have been done.

    NOT surprisingly, one of those nasty dwarf traps I was worried about took care of the "justice" for us. I bet if we search her, we'll find some of Mrs. Stormscales valuables in her pockets too. Spare me friends like her. Please"
    Toland says disdainfully.

    "Now if someone wants to help me get our impalaed friend off of these spikes, we can at least lay her out property. The dead, at least, deserve some respect. It will also make it easier to go through her pockets and see what else she filched" he says coldly.

    "Good news is, that much blood would have drawn any active undead from this whole complex. I'm still being careful, ESPECIALLY where I step, but I'm a measure less concerned about active undead wandering around down here"

    Thank Iomedae for taking care of another criminal. One less for me to deal with...
    Last edited by mshady; 2012-09-20 at 08:42 PM.
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Michiko looks up at Toland, a look of sheer anger upon her face.
    "She didn't steal anything from us."
    She stands, crossing her arms. "You say that the dead deserve respect, yet you speak badly of her without proof of any wrong doing, and speak of going through her pockets yourself!"Something seems to flash behind her eyes as she continues.
    "Even if she were a criminal, as you claim, she still wouldn't of deserved this!"She looks back at Lyrie, and shudders, before turning back to him. "NO ONE deserves something like that! And no matter how you look at it, petty theft isn't worthy of a death sentence!" She glares at him for a few more seconds before sighing.
    "I might be young, but I've learned a few things in my life. One of them is that respect is more than actions. Respect takes words into account. In disrespecting her now, you're not only disrespecting her, but you're disrespecting her family and ancestors, her friends, and Kitsune everywhere!" She turns away from him. "Choose your words more carefully next time, Toland Albright."
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mshady's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Toland

    "Proof? She snuck down here on her own, has a chest full of jewels and apparently triggered this going back for more. She came back to rob anything she could. What other proof do you need?" he says and snorts.

    "She lied to us about being afraid of coming down, but just wanted to grab whatever she could. Even though we were all willing to give her a fair share, that wasn't enough.

    Nevermind the fact that she could have triggered something besides a trap. Like say a zombie that could have snuck upstairs and killed someone? Or something worse deeper into the chambers. Who knows? She didn't, she just wanted a quick score. So no, I'm not moved"
    he says and looks at the body.

    "So no, I don't respect what she did. The dead deserve respect, as in not being left like a chicken on a spit and buried properly. My Order does that, even for murderers. It doesn't entitle them to a white wash of their actions in life. So why don't you help me respect her and get her off these spikes, eh?"
    "Clerics: Just because they heal you, it doesn't mean they like you."

    Heretic's Bane - DM

    IC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Icewind Dale (and beyond)

    OOC Forum: Heretic's Bane - Group Chat

    Heretic's Bane Wiki - http://hereticsbane.wikispaces.com/

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goldfly's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwaer Depths [IC]

    Michiko growls as she spins quickly on her heels to glare at Toland.
    "She made a foolish decision, and she has payed dearly for it. Was she greedy? Yes. But for all any of us could know, she may have had a very good reason for it! Ailing family, perhaps? A desire to do something good with it? No matter, though, it's not happening now! She gives a short ,yipping, and very sarcastic laugh. "Not to mention that most everyone else here was interested in the treasure! That could have been any of us! How would you feel if it had been me that had opened it? Or Jalaera? Or Kieran? By the All-Seeing Eye, it even could have been you!" She's screaming now, throwing her all into the verbal barrage. "Would we have deserved it? The girl who was curious about what was inside, the Tengu checking for traps? Greed is not worth death, paladin of Iomedae!
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •