New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Wasn't Snowsong essentially a female protagonist
    She is a Mookinsert whose arc got renamed from Snowsong to SuperGreg vs. Snowsong. And Dominic turned out to be the arc's protagonist all along.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

A female protagonist? This is going to be awesome.

Two question remains: will the new protagonist be an protagonist, or notreallydoinganythingonist like the current characters? And will she be a Mookieinsert, or a Domiinsert?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm looking forward. I'm bored by DD, so it's good it ends. Also, I'm curious about what this will be exactly. Maybe there will be a promising start, before it becomes really crappy. I try to keep an open mind; you need to at least enjoy it a bit to snark it.
    That's how I feel. In his newsposts, Mookie has been writing for months (maybe even over a year) that he is disappointed with superhero comics and he wants to write his own. That means that the newest comic will be the result of hours of thought and planning, and it will include collaboration with someone Mookie has selected to help him. The next comic will show us the best Mookie can create.
    Plus, DD really needs to end. I think Mookie has been bored with it for several years, and that is why is has sucked so hard.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys, what's up? :D

So, what's been happ-

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Also, just look at the eyes here:
    WAIT WHAT WHY

SCIENCE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Honestly, I'm actually a little surprised at how amazingly bland this comic idea seems to me. I was hoping this Friday page would give a clue as to what sort of stuff would be happening in the comic, but nope. I almost wish the "Star Power" name is a reference to the superheroine being a pop singer, because at least that's something.
    A space opera where the main heroine is a pop singer whose voice has nigh-superpowerful effects on whoever the antagonists are?

It'll never work.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    That's how I feel. In his newsposts, Mookie has been writing for months (maybe even over a year) that he is disappointed with superhero comics and he wants to write his own. That means that the newest comic will be the result of hours of thought and planning, and it will include collaboration with someone Mookie has selected to help him. The next comic will show us the best Mookie can create.
    Plus, DD really needs to end. I think Mookie has been bored with it for several years, and that is why is has sucked so hard.
    I also agree Mookie is probably bored by now, and ready to move to something else.
    But even after years of writing, Mookie doesn't have the ability of self criticism or planning.

Just because he is disappointed from superhero comics doesn't mean he has a concrete plan for a world of his own. It's more likely that his current plan consists of idea seeds and anecdotes, with all the things he wanted to see in other comics, mixed together in one world without any consistency.

I'm willing to give it a chance, and I'm also willing to give it a long time before I enter any snark thread about it.
    But hope for something better? Not really.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Just wait, those are merely concept sketches. While Garth draws better than Mookie, he doesn't have a superior grasp on anatomy, posture, or costume design.

For example, the following two pieces were dug by people on the SA thread:
    *snip*

Look at the proportions on the zombie fight picture, and of course the woman's legs which are just painful to look at. The costume design for the steampunky one speaks for itself.

Also, just look at the eyes here:
    *snip*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

That is a horrid disfigurement of art! oh gods….whyyyyyyy…..I couldn't see it in Mookie's art, but in this art its freaking clear as day! agh, oh god oh god…..just…..how do you become so good…..yet…..mess up so clearly? HOW? HOW!? HOOOOOOOOOOOW!?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elros
    That means that the newest comic will be the result of hours of thought and planning,
    Please note that this is not necessarily a good thing. Remember, this is the guy who, years after the War in Hell finished and receiving a ton of flak for it, defended Stonewater by saying that he wanted to make a "sexy rapist."

9. - Top - End - #279

No amount of planning is going to help if Mookie's still gonna retain some of his bigger problems which is 1) absolutely refusing to put his characters through any sort of conflict and 2) Mighty Whitey Syndrome where no character except the mains have any agency or actually accomplishing anything.

I dunno, maybe with Garth around, Mookie might actually get a second opinion to revise his ideas, but I seem to recall him fixing things in the worst way possible, if he listens at all.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-08-11 at 07:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon thinking about it, I propose we go into this new comic when it happens with a clean slate mentality. Let's hold nothing from DD against it, and let it succeed or fail on its own merits. I don't think it'll be fair to condemn a comic before its first strip just yet. Or nitpick it to death because you EXPECT it to stink.

11. - Top - End - #281

GnomeWizardGuy

Despite my nitpicking this week I'm intending to give the new comic a fair go and I hope something about the combo of Mookie and Garth working to together fused to create something great. I guess I'm disappointed that these only appear to be to character and costume brainstorming images rather than anything that shows action, particularly given Mookie's "stick it to Marvel & DC" newspost.

The "clean slate" thing is a double-edge sword though, because the only reason I'll be reading the first arc in Star Power is because of DD's legacy. Without that, I doubt I would click on a link to a generic looking superhero webcomic called "Star Power". They really need a hook in their comic concept - and if they do have one, I wish they would hint at it.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-12 at 12:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be making fun of this from day one and silently fade away from the forum if it defies all reasonable expectations and turns out to actually be good. Which it won't.

So...
    Quote Originally Posted by suzaliscious View Post
    So I'm the only one looking forward to this then?
    No.

I'll have to say, though, I looked at Garth's comic (Finder's Keepers), and I don't think the sketches Mookie posted and those two drawings crossposted from SA really do the man justice. He can draw, although I share Trazoi's opinion. There's often something just slightly off about his characters. Often, his characters make pretty weird B-movie faces (exaggerated and empty at the same time), sometimes they look remarkably unenergetic during action scenes, and overall there seems to be a certain lack of personality. This got better over time, though. I've looked at stuff from 2009 and this year, I think, and the new stuff is pretty nice.
    Still, while he can draw very well and all, I can't really say I consider him an actually good artist.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Still, while he can draw very well and all, I can't really say I consider him an actually good artist.
    Jeez... then who do you consider a good artist (and why am i not on that list). >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the "fresh start", I'm willing to give the new project a chance, but it will take an AMAZING project and a very long time to make me forget he is a bad author.

Let's say you buy a series of books.
    Like many other series, it starts okay, then turns bad. After a while it turns really bad, and consistently gets worse every book.
    After you finally manage to finish the series, when the same author will talk about his next project, will you be in line to buy his books?

Sure, I'm not paying anything for a webcomic, but the principle is the same.
    It will be nearly impossible to judge Mookie's new project while ignoring years of his work.
    I do not think I will be able to give the new comic similar chance like I give comics from an unknown author, and I also don't think it's unfair of me to do so.
    It's called experience.

15. - Top - End - #285

I'm not optimistic at all about this new endeavor of Mookie's, but if I find myself on a forum discussing it I will attempt to refrain from nitpicking and look for the positives, until I'm certain that it's as bad as DD and will never get any better. Which is what I think will happen, but I wouldn't say there's a 100% chance of it at this point.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky

Got to love his face on panel 3
    Other than that, it really depends on tomorrow, regarding what David will ask them. I hope he doesn't expect creatures from a different galaxy to be concerned about a specific country.

Also, this is a classic situation where world building is important.
    If we knew how much Callan depends on magic, we'd understand from the context if this scene is supposed to make David look genuinely concerned or already power crazy.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Flashback week? Flashback week.

At least it's almost interesting.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #288

Man, does DJ suck in all the evil around him? Coz I'm surprised that the former king and queen are such noble hearted people, you'd think Mookie would follow the Corrupt Authority route. Not that there's anything wrong with making the king and queen good people, but this is just Mookie's Black and White mentality showing through again and has to show how super duper Ebol DJ actually is.

Hell, we could have the King and Queen still be good people, but make it so that if magic is the foundation of their system, they would still be concerned about preserving it for the people. Then again, that's a gray area and Mookie hates that.

19. - Top - End - #289

I'm probably a horrible person for this, but...

I find King DJ's "I just looked into the Heart of Magic" face amusing. It's not really shocking or startling or even creepy, it's just too cheeky and jovial.
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Man, does DJ suck in all the evil around him? Coz I'm surprised that the former king and queen are such noble hearted people, you'd think Mookie would follow the Corrupt Authority route. Not that there's anything wrong with making the king and queen good people, but this is just Mookie's Black and White mentality showing through again and has to show how super duper Ebol DJ actually is.

Hell, we could have the King and Queen still be good people, but make it so that if magic is the foundation of their system, they would still be concerned about preserving it for the people. Then again, that's a gray area and Mookie hates that.
    This conversation was wrong from the start.
    David tried to go for the "we are supreme" card instead of calmly explaining what it would mean to lose magic in the next few decades.

And I know this is a fast forward flashback, but the king and queen didn't even bother to ask what will it take to preserve magic.
    I can't really consider them to be good people, if they don't make any actual moral choice. They just ignored the problem and left it to their son or grandson.

21. - Top - End - #291

GnomeWizardGuy

I love having the same first name as the king.

I guess we're about to see how evil DJ stole the kingdom from the rightful rulers through the diabolical process of "elections". And didn't the elves lose their dominance through losing a bloody war of conquest in the first Storm of Souls? (can't be bothered to scour the archives to check).

I had forgotten that Mookie was into astronomy these days which explains both all the talk of orbits and transitions now and why his superhero idea stars* Orion Girl. That might work in the latter case but it's very tacked on in DD where magic used to just be magic and not controlled by comets.

* Not gonna bold it. DD isn't going to own me.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    This conversation was wrong from the start.
    David tried to go for the "we are supreme" card instead of calmly explaining what it would mean to lose magic in the next few decades.

And I know this is a fast forward flashback, but the king and queen didn't even bother to ask what will it take to preserve magic.
    I can't really consider them to be good people, if they don't make any actual moral choice. They just ignored the problem and left it to their son or grandson.
    Ha, that's a very good point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DJ: "The wealth and power of your kingdom is dependent on magic. If we don't take steps soon, we will lose this vital natural resource."

King: "Nah, we'll just go gently into that good night."

DJ: "...you haven't even heard what we would need to do to keep your nation from going into decline and you've already decided to just give in?"

Queen: "Yeah, doing something is a lot more work than doing nothing. I mean, look at the Elves -- they didn't do jack and look at them now."

DJ: "What do you mean? How are the Elves doing?"

K&Q: "We have no clue."

This actually causes DJ's "election" to royalty make a lot more sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DJ: "People of Callan, your current monarchs don't care about your welfare! They are content to let you slip into decline even though it is within their power to stop it. They care nothing for you, your livelihoods, or your families."

Peasants: "Rabblerabblerabblerabble"

DJ: "With your support, we can topple this apathetic government and replace it with a new ruler who cares about his people! The struggle will be long and bloody but in the end..."

King: "Seems like a lot of work. How about you just take over and we'll go do something else."

DJ: "Wait... really?"

Queen: "Of course. I mean, why should we care what happens to anyone?"

DJ: "Well, that was easy."
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #293

Haha, that's awesome, Oracle Hunter. Apathic King and Queen is canon to me now. :P

Also, when I saw the first 3 panels, I was like "DJ used to be fat?" Or maybe the Heart of Magic gave him such a walloping his face swelled like a balloon. And he seems to be packing a bit of a pot belly in the first panel. >_>

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

The thing that stuck out to me is that the Queen isn't speaking PrOpeR ElViSh. (That hurt to type.)

Based on panel 8, is his blindfold also tying back his hair? If that's intentional and not just a lazy art mishmash (ha!), I can't decide if that's interesting or just stupid. If I had long hair, I'd probably fiddle with a handkerchief for a few minutes to see if it's actually possible, but I haven't had hair long enough to do that since I enjoyed DD unironically. Which was quite some time ago.

Did he shave his beard somewhere in the middle of the strip?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Panel 3 is beautiful. That is the face of a man who has looked upon the wonder of the universe.

26. - Top - End - #296

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    I'm probably a horrible person for this, but...

I find King DJ's "I just looked into the Heart of Magic" face amusing. It's not really shocking or startling or even creepy, it's just too cheeky and jovial.
    I think it has great potential for Slay material. I mean, which of our 'favourite' scenes won't it work with?

SuperGreg? Bleeding from the eyes.
    Orc rape? Bleeding from the eyes.
    Non-euclidean Danovich? Bleeding from the eyes.
    Dislocated spines granting post-mortem ass-shots? Bleeding from the eyes.

...Dominic being punched in the nuts? "It's so.... beautiful...."
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #297

Do you think there is a chance that defeating DJ will deprive the Deegans of their precious magic? That would be a twist I would respect.
    Panel 3 is beautiful. That is the face of a man who has looked upon the wonder of the universe.
    Which is why I find myself cheering for him.

28. - Top - End - #298

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Do you think there is a chance that defeating DJ will deprive the Deegans of their precious magic? That would be a twist I would respect.
    More than a chance - this is the ending that I expect. Dominic kills all magic to stop the Beast as the ultimate "self"-sacrifice, with only a hand wave as to how it completely destroys Callan's magic based society and crushes the hopes and dreams of most of the characters in the comic.

Credible variant - oracles somehow retain their powers, only regular mages like Luna turn into Muggles.

29. - Top - End - #299

Most probable ending: all filthy Callanian jock mages lose their magic, but the Deegan and Deegan-touched get to keep their power, presumably augmented with a big boost. Dominic, Miranda, and Nimmel, because they were directly exposed to the Heart of Magic, extraplanar archmages, etc. Luna, because she a orc messiah, remember? Jacob because death is not zombies.

Celesto, however, will lose all powers and that'll miraculously cure him of his madness and he'll thank Dominic profusely for having been right all along.
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-08-13 at 06:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #300

What sort of political office was DJ in at the time of this flashback? Do we know? I don't suppose it matters too much, but it feels like pretty lazy writing and worldbuilding to just say "well, he has some sort of political power mumble mumble whatever."