New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Presumably he was a Highly Respected Magical Scientist. A jingoistic Jor-El, basically.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

I would totally read a comic about DJ trying to halt the decline of magic. He's doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons. He starts out mildly ethnocentric, believing that Callan is rightfully the most powerful country. He's a bit xenophobic and maybe he's worried that other countries will take advantage of Callan if they lose their magical prowess. But few other people believe him and are capable of helping him. And maybe the magic he's using starts to drive him insane, heightening his paranoia and he ends up believing that not only is it imperative that Callan keeps its magic, but that they should use it to subjugate the other countries - to help them, of course. Then he ends up taking over the country and becoming a tyrant.

It'd be a lot more interesting than Dominic, Paragon of Ultimate Morality, that's for sure.

3. - Top - End - #303

Daemon

What makes me happy about this flashback is that we will finally know how DJ baceme first 'elected' king - no, not elected - 'elected', with emphasis on these '' litltle guys whatecer they are called in english.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Ha, that's a very good point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DJ: "The wealth and power of your kingdom is dependent on magic. If we don't take steps soon, we will lose this vital natural resource."

King: "Nah, we'll just go gently into that good night."

DJ: "...you haven't even heard what we would need to do to keep your nation from going into decline and you've already decided to just give in?"

Queen: "Yeah, doing something is a lot more work than doing nothing. I mean, look at the Elves -- they didn't do jack and look at them now."

DJ: "What do you mean? How are the Elves doing?"

K&Q: "We have no clue."

This actually causes DJ's "election" to royalty make a lot more sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DJ: "People of Callan, your current monarchs don't care about your welfare! They are content to let you slip into decline even though it is within their power to stop it. They care nothing for you, your livelihoods, or your families."

Peasants: "Rabblerabblerabblerabble"

DJ: "With your support, we can topple this apathetic government and replace it with a new ruler who cares about his people! The struggle will be long and bloody but in the end..."

King: "Seems like a lot of work. How about you just take over and we'll go do something else."

DJ: "Wait... really?"

Queen: "Of course. I mean, why should we care what happens to anyone?"

DJ: "Well, that was easy."
    Alll Hail Oracle Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    What sort of political office was DJ in at the time of this flashback? Do we know? I don't suppose it matters too much, but it feels like pretty lazy writing and worldbuilding to just say "well, he has some sort of political power mumble mumble whatever."
    I think he created the battlecaster unit. So he was a powerful military leader who faced decreasing power. Not exactly politically smart by king and queen Apathy to outright dismiss his concerns.
    And again it's weird that apathy and lack of ambition are seemingly presented as good character traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Most probable ending: all filthy Callanian jock mages lose their magic, but the Deegan and Deegan-touched get to keep their power, presumably augmented with a big boost. Dominic, Miranda, and Nimmel, because they were directly exposed to the Heart of Magic, extraplanar archmages, etc. Luna, because she a orc messiah, remember? Jacob because death is not zombies.

Celesto, however, will lose all powers and that'll miraculously cure him of his madness and he'll thank Dominic profusely for having been right all along.
    Isn't that already canon? Remember: Miranda got stronger when the rest of Callan got weaker after the Orc stuff arc.
    Also: Is nobody asking where the heart of magic is going to? We all know the answer. Which country was attacked by Callan? The rebirth of which country weakened Callan's magic?

Yes, the age of the orcs is coming. It will be the final, most horrifying "deconstruction" of the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh my Dom. Look at Mookie's newspost. Look at it:
    Back from my vacation and-- MY GOD!
    August 13, 2012 Posted by Mookie

I'm back from my annual summer vacation!

And we'll be looking back at relevant moments in King David Johann's life. In case you need a quick reminder as to what we know so far, here's a quick summary from the conclusion of the Revelation storyline.

I hope everyone enjoyed the week of concept art, generously provided by Garth Graham, for the sci-fi superhero space adventure we're working on! I was really excited to show those pieces off and I can't wait to see what he does next. I'll keep you fine folks posted as we move further along.

Over the next few weeks my wife and I will be moving into a new place. I don't anticipate any problems, but in case there's an unannounced lack of an update for a day or two it's because we're in transition, getting our internet set up and so on. You can always keep an eye on my Twitter feed just in case.

And last but definitely not least, Absinthe Junk's Kickstarter to fund their face-melting second album is in its final week! These rockers have been long time friends of the comic and their music never fails to disappoint. If you like eccentric and unmistakably unique rock and roll, give Absinthe Junk your ear. You won't regret it.

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on.
    Emphasis mine.

Thank you, Mookie. That was the first time in years that you made me genuinely laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    What sort of political office was DJ in at the time of this flashback? Do we know? I don't suppose it matters too much, but it feels like pretty lazy writing and worldbuilding to just say "well, he has some sort of political power mumble mumble whatever."
    Presumably he held the position of Royal Seer which must be roughly equivalent with Vizier judging by how it functions in comic

This link also serves to remind you that yes, DJ Callan -- an Archmage and Seer -- retained a Royal Seer and apparently required his "full attention" in order to chat with the Elf Queen via crystal ball
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Isn't that already canon? Remember: Miranda got stronger when the rest of Callan got weaker after the Orc stuff arc.
    Also: Is nobody asking where the heart of magic is going to? We all know the answer. Which country was attacked by Callan? The rebirth of which country weakened Callan's magic?

Yes, the age of the orcs is coming. It will be the final, most horrifying "deconstruction" of the comic.
    But shouldn't a celestial object like the Heart of Magic affect other planets, not a ten-foot-square field like Maltak? Or is Maltak (and every other place in the Deeganverse) its own pocket dimension that can be accessed from any point in the universe?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic Deegan, a comic that never fails to disappoint. Maybe someone said this to Mookie and he interpreted it as a compliment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician
    "Elected" Prince.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was pointed out elsewhere, but I'll bring it up here.

The heart of magic is a comet that moves somehow and causes a country to become strong in magic. So King/Queen Apathy didn't much care about the decline of their countries entire infrastructure and power base. DJ is alarmed by this, and his response is to request help from creatures that live in other dimensions.

Why would they care?
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-13 at 02:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    It was pointed out elsewhere, but I'll bring it up here.

The heart of magic is a comet that moves somehow and causes a country to become strong in magic. So King/Queen Apathy didn't much care about the decline of their countries entire infrastructure and power base. DJ is alarmed by this, and his response is to request help from creatures that live in other dimensions.

Why do they care?
    We don't know yet what he is going to ask them.
    It's possible that by this point he already had a plan that involved using the sanctum, and the things he'll tell them in tomorrow's update will not be just a plead to help Callan, but the beginning of his plan.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

So King/Queen Apathy didn't much care about the decline of their countries entire infrastructure and power base.
    Indeed, for some reason they don't care that their entire kingdom and infrastructure is about to fail; sure they won't be reduced to third world status, but a reduction is still a reduction and it will make life harder for the poeple... Really, instead of bringing up the Elves they should have instead brought up the ancient race that destroyed itself trying to capture the comet. Not willing to risk the destruction of the entire kingdom just to maintain their status would be a more valid reason to do nothing
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-08-13 at 05:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Barbarian in the Playground

So King/Queen Apathy didn't much care about the decline of their countries entire infrastructure and power base.
    To be fair, none of the characters talked about this relative lack of magical energy outside of Callahan. Luna never wondered why her powers were diminished during the vacation arc, Nimmel never contemplated why it took more effort to do things while he was in the Archipelago. Heck, it was quite the opposite for him! I can only assume the King is blowing this loss of magic WAY out of proportion, and using it as a flimsy excuse to commit some unspecified crime against nature by harnessing the magic comet.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-08-13 at 05:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    To be fair, none of the characters talked about this relative lack of magical energy outside of Callahan. Luna never wondered why her powers were diminished during the vacation arc, Nimmel never contemplated why it took more effort to do things while he was in the Archipelago. Heck, it was quite the opposite for him! I can only assume the King is blowing this loss of magic WAY out of proportion, and using it as a flimsy excuse to commit some unspecified crime against nature by harnessing the magic comet.
    From my understanding, it does not affect the power level at certain points on the planet, instead it somehow changes the number of people born with magic and their potential for power.
    Further confusing us regarding the question if you are born with magic or if it can be learned and developed by studying.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

What ever happened to this DJ Callan? He's all proactive and stuff!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2012-08-14 at 12:42 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

What ever happened to this DJ Callan? He's all proactive and stuff!
    So what I'm reading into this is that Snuggly is actually the King's eyes. Because that's where I think this is going.

Thankfully the arch mages didn't just agree to help him.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

So Snuggly isn't Dominic's leg. But we were close - it's DJ Callan's eyes.

That's almost a neat twist.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #317

GnomeWizardGuy

DJ Callan - Double Odin!

Do the council of archmagi ever do anything other than sit there and deny people stuff?

18. - Top - End - #318

You know, DJ is actually pretty damn cool, he's now made it into my (really small) list of favourite DD characters. Maybe it's because he has actually done (or is doing?) stuff rather than just sitting on his ass waiting for the plot to nudge him around. Well, that and him ripping out his eyes is pretty badass. >_>
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-08-14 at 12:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Do the council of archmagi ever do anything other than sit there and deny people stuff?
    Man, are you kidding. Only villains are allowed to actually do things.

Anywho, If it is true that the Snuggly is the King's eyes, I'll be okay with it. Except of course it's still not an interesting creature. Second, because again the villains need to sacrifice for power, Deegans do nothing for power.

"Yep, pulled my own eyes out to create a horrible monster."
    "Scared off your horrible monster without even really trying. Because I'm Dominic Deegan"

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, are you kidding. Only villains are allowed to actually do things.

Anywho, If it is true that the Snuggly is the King's eyes, I'll be okay with it. Except of course it's still not an interesting creature. Second, because again the villains need to sacrifice for power, Deegans do nothing for power.

"Yep, pulled my own eyes out to create a horrible monster."
    "Scared off your horrible monster without even really trying. Because I'm Dominic Deegan"
    That and it being his eyes also kind of nullifies the whole "incomprehensible horror from beyond time and space" that Mookie was going for even further than it already had been.

Honestly, though, I think on the face of things this looks like one of the best ideas Mookie has had in years. I think we can take it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Honestly, though, I think on the face of things this looks like one of the best ideas Mookie has had in years. I think we can take it.
    Ya. Okay, it is a pretty good idea if it turns out that way. I just really wish Snuggly hadn't been neutered already before this reveal.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Un Plot Andalou.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Once again, the good guys are the ones who do absolutely nothing.

DJ looks a little Corinthian in panel 6.

24. - Top - End - #324

AssassinGuy

I had decided a month ago that I wouldn't post again unless I actually liked what was going on in DD.

I'm not at all surprised it took this long.

DJ's motive isn't exactly original -- he wants more power for himself and Callan and he's willing to do anything to get it -- but the execution's not bad. He loses his physical sight and gains a newfound sense of clarity -- or what he thinks is clarity -- by staring into the magical equivalent of the sun. The king and queen in the flashback also seemed pretty reasonable, being brave enough to face a possible future where Callan is no longer the magical superpower in the world. DJ on the other hand owed everything good in his life to magic so the idea of losing it terrifies him. And I admit that the sight of DJ TEARING OUT HIS OWN EYES for his plans was unnerving (I always cringe whenever I see something bad happening to eyes).

But mostly? I'm glad we've stopped focusing on Nimmel so much.

25. - Top - End - #325

First, I have to give Mookie credit for making DD readable again. The last two strips have been his best work in years. Maybe he should go on vacation more often!
    That been said, why does Dominic have access to these visions? The cloak of Ara (what a horrible name!) was no where near some of these events, so why does it allow Dominic to view them? It is just another example of how Mookie just hands solutions to his heroes.
    You know, DJ is actually pretty damn cool, he's now made it into my (really small) list of favourite DD characters.
    I agree completely. I would love to see a strip about DJ working to save the magic of his realm. Am I the only one who thinks that DJ was inspired, in part, by the Blood Elves of WoW?

26. - Top - End - #326

GnomeWizardGuy

Will the flashback explain where King Dave, Protector of Callan Might was during Storm of Souls and War in Hell? Was he off sick those days?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-14 at 06:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

This link also serves to remind you that yes, DJ Callan -- an Archmage and Seer -- retained a Royal Seer and apparently required his "full attention" in order to chat with the Elf Queen via crystal ball
    Maybe DJ can't use scry through a crystal ball himself because all his Seer powers are being used to simply see the crystal ball in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post

"Elected" Prince.
    Or The callan works like Warhammer Empire (Emperor elected by counts) and Holy Roman Empire model.
    Edit: I wonder if the eldrich abomination is going to backstab the "elected king".
    Last edited by t209; 2012-08-14 at 07:35 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    That been said, why does Dominic have access to these visions? The cloak of Ara (what a horrible name!) was no where near some of these events, so why does it allow Dominic to view them? It is just another example of how Mookie just hands solutions to his heroes.
    Ara got this information by performing an "extraction" (the same thing he did to Dominic to get information) on King DJ when he wasn't aware of it. Though I'm not sure how she could do that and not have the King notice; it makes him look pretty incompetent.

While the current twist is cool, I'm not sure if it really makes sense. Why would DJ have to turn his eyes into a monster to find the heart of magic? Since Smuggly was introduced so long ago, it's pretty clear that Mookie wasn't planning this from the beginning, so his previous role as a monster might not jibe with his new role as a plot device. Still, until I know for sure that it makes no sense, I'm willing to give this twist a pass.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    Maybe DJ can't use scry through a crystal ball himself because all his Seer powers are being used to simply see the crystal ball in the first place.
    If his Seer Powers are so taxed that he can't use a device so mundane it gets spam then maybe he shouldn't be able to detect undetectable scrying

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad