New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

In other news, DJ seems incredibly nonchalent about his eyes rotting in his head, if he was being literal about that fact. It would've been better if he had to get them removed anyway because they were rotting, and he gets some mad idea of 'no wait, I want to keep those for a reason I'm not going to tell the magical doctors about'.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    That been said, why does Dominic have access to these visions? The cloak of Ara (what a horrible name!) was no where near some of these events, so why does it allow Dominic to view them? It is just another example of how Mookie just hands solutions to his heroes.
    Is this part of Dominic's vision, or just a flashback?

Either way, the funny thing is that with all the plans to break into magical wards, a simple background check on the king could have easily given the heroes more than enough useful information about DJ's plan.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Is this part of Dominic's vision, or just a flashback?

Either way, the funny thing is that with all the plans to break into magical wards, a simple background check on the king could have easily given the heroes more than enough useful information about DJ's plan.
    But they tried that! Is it their fault that his official biography didn't contain any of this information about his nefarious (?) plan?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #334

"Why would DJ have to turn his eyes into a monster to find the heart of magic? Since Smuggly was introduced so long ago, it's pretty clear that Mookie wasn't planning this from the beginning, so his previous role as a monster might not jibe with his new role as a plot device."

Authors do plan some details many many years in advance. Many of other details are added later, and some are changed as they go, but normal to have some long term ideas and follow through with them. I could go through a very long list of people who do so. There are hints for many years that mookie had a long term idea and this is part of it, similar as OOTS has had final idea for Monster in the Dark for many many years. (The comic is finishing in a year probably because Mookie is finally doing his long ago dreamed up "main story". Similarly OOTS is nearing completion for same reason)

On rotting in his head... probably means "useless" rather than literally rotting, common figurative usage.

Archmage getting inside view of big bad is also common plot device, many SF stories with big bad super taking over others, the others gets a peak into mind of big bad and can help forward that to the heroes as or after they are assimilated or taken over. (Often a matter of the big bad needing to completely focus on the spell/takeover for a few minutes so not also able to play defensive on own mind as well at same time, and not really caring as the victim will soon be his slave/drone)
    Last edited by multilis; 2012-08-14 at 01:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    But they tried that! Is it their fault that his official biography didn't contain any of this information about his nefarious (?) plan?
    Plan A - Try to gather information.

Plan B - Plan A takes too long, just use magic.

Plan C - Plan B requires too much effort, just wait patiently for magic information giver device that falls in your lap.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    From my understanding, it does not affect the power level at certain points on the planet, instead it somehow changes the number of people born with magic and their potential for power.
    Further confusing us regarding the question if you are born with magic or if it can be learned and developed by studying.
    I believe you're correct. Now I'm even more confused, but that's par for course.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    [newspost]
    Alterists are so evil not even DJ will visit one.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky
    Future

For pete's sake Mookie, put some damn labels like "two years later" on your flashbacks to indicate the passing of time. Or at the very least don't use the exact same damn pose on Dave but give slightly different clothes and hair.

Also why is he talking to his eyes; they are eyes, they aren't going to hear him.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

I was under the distinct impression that his eyes were no longer functional yesterday. Shows what I know.

Seriously, this went from "They'll be a good focus." to "Go and see, my blind eyes." pretty much over night.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-15 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Too late.

10. - Top - End - #340

Because evil monologues are what villains DO, remember?

Gotta remember that we're just getting half-understood tropes spat back at us. That, or half-understood tropes being "deconstructed".
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Sneaky
    Future

For pete's sake Mookie, put some damn labels like "two years later" on your flashbacks to indicate the passing of time. Or at the very least don't use the exact same damn pose on Dave but give slightly different clothes and hair.

Also why is he talking to his eyes; they are eyes, they aren't going to hear him.
    Hey, he's not wearing a cape! That's huge

Also: This is the first time Mookie has failed at effectively showing the passage of time. It's nice to know that he still has the capacity to disappoint in new and exciting ways.

Well, at least they're new
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #342

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I was under the distinct impression that his eyes were no longer functional yesterday. Shows what I know.
    New addition to the list of characters more industrious than Dominic Deegan: Dave's severed eyeballs.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

New addition to the list of characters more industrious than Dominic Deegan: Dave's severed eyeballs.
    Honestly, they repaired themselves over night, then gained sentience after being thrown into a cosmic garbage can. Which they then turned into some kind of museum of the planes, for which they taught themselves to freely travel those planes.
    (They can also shoot lasers, but that's not really noteworthy in this comic. C-sections are probably performed via beamspam in Dominion.)

I await the reveal that the Royal Battlecasters are actually the King's toenail clippings after a night in a magic incubator.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-15 at 12:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344

GnomeWizardGuy

Honestly, they repaired themselves over night, then gained sentience after being thrown into a cosmic garbage can. Which they then turned into some kind of museum of the planes, for which they taught themselves to freely travel those planes.
    (They can also shoot lasers, but that's not really noteworthy in this comic. C-sections are probably performed via beamspam in Dominion.)
    Re-reading the comic and yesterday's comic again, I've got no idea what Dave is trying to do here.

His plan is apparently:
    1. Sever my own eyeballs
    2. Go to Elemecca and throw eyeballs in the cosmic trash
    3. ???
    4. Heart of Magic!

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Re-reading the comic and yesterday's comic again, I've got no idea what Dave is trying to do here.

His plan is apparently:
    1. Sever my own eyeballs
    3. ???
    4. Heart of Magic!
    His plan also is:
    1. Sever my own eyeballs
    2. Use magically charged eyes as focus.
    3. ???
    4. Heart of Magic!

I mean, at least that's what it was yesterday. It changed and got a little dumber between DJ Callan tearing them out and his arrival at the Elemecca. Probably because his eyes clearly were the smartest parts of him.

Also looking forward to the reveal that the Beast has an evil twin, by the way. Unless DJ Callan's eyes just merged into one Super Eye.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Sneaky
    Future

1) He grew his bitchin' beard in the meantime. I got it at least.

2) DJ is already pretty ****ing crazy. Also metal.

I am glad that Mookie has forever given up on writing cosmic horror into this thing, actually. By his standards, this is pretty damn good.

Or maybe the eyes and the planar crap they've collected have been possessed by a monster from beyond the stars still, who knows. Still, relatively good writing here. Where was this guy for the rest of this plot?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-08-15 at 01:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

His plan is apparently:
    1. Sever my own eyeballs
    3. ???
    4. Heart of Magic!

A little more like:

1. Saw Heart of Magic, went blind
    2. Claw out eyeballs, they aren't doing much in my skull
    3. Go to Elemecca
    4. Recycle eyeballs
    5. Wait for something to happen
    6. Nifty cool eyeball monster? Score!
    7. Somethingsomethingattackownkingdom
    8. Try to harness Heart of Magic - maybe whole body can go blind this time
    9. ???
    10. Callanian magical dominance forever?

Oh, and I know it's early, but knowing how King DJ went blind, I propose this as a thread title for the next thread: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: She blinded Me with Her Face

(Heart of Magic, Face of God, you guys get it).
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-08-15 at 01:21 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #348

I'm really confused at how the hell DJ's magic is supposed to be working here? How does using his eyes like a security camera turn into a portal that leads into a brand new plane? Arg, I know Mookie not defining his own rules that leads to asspulls isn't new here, but it's frustrating that an action can spawn a completely different and illogical result. This isn't cause and effect, this is, I don't know, Mookie?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

So the person Dave's been talking to all this time, are his eyes? He's been talking to his eyes? Telling his eyes to be vigilant. What

"Let's see what you've seen." What. I'm fearing that we'll get an awful callback to this that will go something like this:

Dave: Let's see what you've seen
    Dominic: Yeah, you'll see that your eyes have seen. The truth!

Also Dave's rotting eyes were powerful enough to build a world, and they can act semi-independently?

So many questions that will never be answered in a satisfactory way.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh. So apparently it's magically easier for dead lumps of flesh to gain sentience and magical powers than it is to just heal the stupid things.

I'd say he just got lucky, but I'm not exactly sure how this helps his plan, whatever that is. At least he's doing stuff.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-15 at 03:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder...

Assuming DJ Callan used Alterism to grow new eyes, looked at the Heart of Magic again (apparently he prioritized being crazy and dramatic instead), and, after seeing it and being blinded again, plucked the things out and threw them in the Elemecca's trash can again...would the result be Beast clones?

Also, what kind of garbage pail monster do you get when you throw a nose or something in there?

22. - Top - End - #352

GnomeWizardGuy

Also, what kind of garbage pail monster do you get when you throw a nose or something in there?
    We'll find out when Dominic's leg saves the day.

Plus, since I was curious: Dear Dominique: Oracle rental (Dominikudigan)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World from Recycled Scrap

EDIT:
    It took me a second to figure out, but this could actually be happening, right? He did lose his leg right there...
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-15 at 05:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

A flat world from recycled scraps is actually amazing writing. I wish DD was that awesome instead of just confusing. :(

25. - Top - End - #355

Daemon

Oh you silly, Dominic's leg clearly became the Destroyer!

26. - Top - End - #356

So the ultimate villain of this comic is... a pair of dead severed eyeballs.

At least they're more competent than Nimmel!

27. - Top - End - #357
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Oh you silly, Dominic's leg clearly became the Destroyer!
    Of course not. It'll turn out that Dominic's leg became Klo Tark, who travelled back in time and founded the Eld Empire.
    Not a robot

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

I will say this: I did not expect this turn of events.

What a tweest!
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

29. - Top - End - #359

This arc is so much better than the Nimmel-Katya or the other emo arcs, and it is clear that Mookie is trying to do something original, so I give him credit for improving. The thing is that I would really like to see a comic about DJ!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea what happened.
    Apparently, words like "focus item" are like "akibek principle" and can practically mean anything and do anything.
    I do not understand why he chose to investigate Ellemecca when the influence of the heart should be seen from specific places in the regular world (conveniently, currently still in Callan)
    And of course, no idea why the combination of the two will create the beast. How can I count it as a twist if even DJ didn't see it coming?

That being said, it IS better than most of the other recent weeks.
    I have no idea what's happening, but at least something is happening, and we skip the boring years of non-action in between.
    Also, while the focus item to beast idea isn't built on any foundation, NOTHING magical in DD has any foundation, so at least it's cool.

Also, as a bonus we learn that not only the good guys get just the right magic by waiting several years and doing nothing.