New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    EDIT:
    Speaking of food for snuggly, does anyone have any guess to why a creature created in a garbage plane from a seer focus item needs to eat fear from humans?
    Also, how that part fits with the "respect to humans" DJ has? orcish fear isn't tasty?
    Well, you see, everything is created from the elemental planes, which flow together in the Elemecca, where their energies are made into, well, everything.
    This includes intangible things like reason, so obviously also fear.

Snuggly, now, has been living in the Elemecca's garbage can for its entire life. Alone. With nothing to do besides collecting the various things that ended up there...or eating them.

So, emotions, thoughts, all of that has been part of its diet forever.

But never the real thing. Like, when the Elemecca should have created something like "OH MY GOD I'M GONNA DIE HERE!" it might have created something like "This may be mildly unpleasant." or something nonsensical like "OH MY GONNA IM DIE flowers are nice.", or some such. A firestorm accidentally made out of logic. An idea that manifests itself as an oddly shaped rock. Obviously, this kind of crap went into the trash - possibly not always, judging by the behavioral patterns of dominion apes and the overall weirdness of Dominion, but this doesn't matter, what matters is that this is the kind of material that ended up in Snuggly's home.

This is what Snuggly had to eat. The recall program material.

And now it has a way to get to the good stuff.

So, basically, Snuggly is a weird fat kid with no friends and eats because eating is all it knows. And now it has found it's way into an all-you-can-eat restaurant after literally eating trash for its entire life.

I assume David Johann goes along with this world-eating plan because he realizes this whole thing is kind of his fault because he's a deadbeat dad that threw his baby in a dumpster.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-21 at 05:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    That reminds me, wasn't there something about Miranda's true power level being blocked or something? Did this happen in a flashback when Callan was just becoming magically dominant? Or was something else blocking it?
    THe relevant comic
    It has not been explained at this point what was blocking her power. However, if my fears are correct, it is because her work during the Orc War somehow tied her thematically to Maltak. That she was able to become an archmage despite not being of Callan, in the magical sense, is further testimony to just how absolutely marvelous she is.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    THe relevant comic
    It has not been explained at this point what was blocking her power. However, if my fears are correct, it is because her work during the Orc War somehow tied her thematically to Maltak. That she was able to become an archmage despite not being of Callan, in the magical sense, is further testimony to just how absolutely marvelous she is.
    I'm guessing Dave had Snuggly draining her powers so she wouldn't be too powerful and foil his evil schemes. Now that Snuggly's gotten weaker, he can't do that anymore. At least I think he's gotten weaker. If not then letting her get her full power back now was stupid on their part...and absolutely in character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate - ...I don't know what to say. Ten plus years of writing webcomics.
    Future Link

Even Translation Party is throwing up its hands at this one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-21 at 11:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Sneaky Gate - ...I don't know what to say. Ten plus years of writing webcomics.
    Future Link

Even Translation Party is throwing up its hands at this one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So many questions...

1) Is the heart of magic sentient? Does it care if he is empowering a civilization or ruins of one?

2) Now that the heart of magic can't go to a very specific location, it's EASIER to track?

3) Did he just accept his eyes as his lord and master?

4) Does it matter to anyone what he calls the beast, or does the beast need to boost his ego?

5) At the end, it all came down to "mumble mumble MAGIC". No, that's not a question.

6. - Top - End - #546

Oh man, this page is hilariously bad. Consistently? Characterization? Pacing? Logic?!! **** all that!
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-08-21 at 11:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547

"I will help you. If you proclaim me as your lord and master."

Logical answer: "If your goals are the same as mine, you'll be willing to help me for free. If they're not the same as mine, then there's no reason for me to serve you. So no thanks."

Dave's answer: "Yes! Yes, my lord! Just help me!"

And this guy's a brilliant politician who was able to get the entire population of Callan to vote him into office?

8. - Top - End - #548

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    "I will help you. If you proclaim me as your lord and master."

Logical answer: "If your goals are the same as mine, you'll be willing to help me for free. If they're not the same as mine, then there's no reason for me to serve you. So no thanks."

Dave's answer: "Yes! Yes, my lord! Just help me!"

And this guy's a brilliant politician who was able to get the entire population of Callan to vote him into office?
    They're just words. What's Snuggly going to do, take it Crab Cop Court?

All Snuggy did was show Dave that he shouldn't believe his eyes.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Wait... Maltak was only in ruins after the War in Hell-triggered storms stopped during Class Action. Maltak was fine immediately after the Orc War and all throughout the decades it took for Melna and Stonewater to grow up.

Mookie, did you really screw up your internal chronology that badly?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Page is ridiculous. Still... Mookie gave Snuggly a new look. Surely it could be used somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Wait... Maltak was only in ruins after the War in Hell-triggered storms stopped during Class Action. Maltak was fine immediately after the Orc War and all throughout the decades it took for Melna and Stonewater to grow up.

Mookie, did you really screw up your internal chronology that badly?
    I think at the end of the war the land was polluted with demonic poison, so presumably the Heart of Magic couldn't stand it. After the storms you mention all the poisons were washed away so HoM could give Callan a hug. Once they had magic and human messiahs they could make the land pretty again.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Inappropriate Wall sighting in panel 7! Woo!

And yeah, this is so obviously one of those strips where Mookie had Point A (DJ and Snuggly seek and/or find Heart of Magic) and Point B (Snuggly becomes DJ's overlord) in his head, but didn't have a solid way to connect them, so he just kludged something together.

I love Snuggly's smirking eye in panel 5. It makes me giggle.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #552

Well, Mookie is terrible at art, plot, pacing, logic, morality, etc. Still, when it comes to drawing smugness, he's an absolute master.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Snuggly is clever, you need to give him that. First he makes a deal with DJ that he would help him to capture the HoM, in exchange for eating parts of the world, even if he had nothing to offer. Then he again makes a deal with DJ to help, but gets another thing for it. And doesn't really deliver. Getting paid twice without giving the promised thing is pretty slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #554

I never thought I'd see the day when I could state, in all seriousness, that I read a piece of fiction where a man pledged allegiance to his own eyes.

That day has now come.
    LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait a second. So the King "tethered" the heart of magic to Callan, ensuring they were magically capable. So what Mookie is saying is that the King literally established this whole freaking comic.

Think about every instance of magic that has saved the protagonists butts since the start. If it wasn't for the King, Dominic, Luna, Greg, would all be dead! The infernomancer would have ripped them to shreds because they wouldn't have any powers.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-22 at 01:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    …..his character flaw is that he is lazy? It seems that way….

Just a guess really, because of his actions….
    His character flaw is a severe lack of foresight or common sense.

...By Warlord's mustache, he is a Mookinsert! I knew it!
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-08-22 at 01:18 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Meaning Rapsh, that King Callan is the cause of this entire comic?

If we only had a time machine and could kill him before he did that, then this comic would be gone…but then again that might cause a time paradox.

so alternatively: King Callan is the real hero of the entire comic. Dominic was just his pawn all along
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

It just boggles my mind this whole thing. This whole comic has been asspulls with "magic". Luna's illusions, Greg's healing, Jacob's necromancy, the slime mage, the dryad, the stupid rock concert, the multiple fights with demons, beating the infernomancer, storm of souls, momagen's whole character, all of it would never have happened without the King.

I'm still convinced we are heading for a ME3 ending of destroying all magic in the comic.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-22 at 01:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #559

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    I'm still convinced we are heading for a ME3 ending of destroying all magic in the comic.
    I wouldn't mind that sort of ending:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Today was made even more glorious by the newspost. "Some folks were asking me why the king was referring to The Beast as "his lord" when it owed its existence to him. I hope today's comic answers that question. I had completely forgotten about that aspect and, given he brought nothing to the equation, I just figured two panels should do it."

21. - Top - End - #561

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    TIM is Harbinger.

Everyone is going to end up a half-orc.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    TIM is Harbinger.

Everyone is going to end up a half-orc because of Luna's magical perfect eggs.
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-08-22 at 02:32 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

23. - Top - End - #563
    Orc in the Playground

I think this strip. jumped and circled the shark ten times over in those two panels. That was.. absolutely insane. Even by DD standards.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I think at the end of the war the land was polluted with demonic poison, so presumably the Heart of Magic couldn't stand it. After the storms you mention all the poisons were washed away so HoM could give Callan a hug. Once they had magic and human messiahs they could make the land pretty again.
    Maltak didn't look like it does in panel 1 here, though.

Also, anyone care to explain why demonic poison would deter the Heart of Magic/Face of God? I mean, that must be it, as you say. But I feel there might be some interesting implications here, although maybe we'll have to wait for Mookie to pull something regarding what that thing is anyway out of his ass to really appreciate this.

For now, though, I'd like to mention that Hell is one of the planes reality and magic are made out of, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Inappropriate Wall sighting in panel 7! Woo!

And yeah, this is so obviously one of those strips where Mookie had Point A (DJ and Snuggly seek and/or find Heart of Magic) and Point B (Snuggly becomes DJ's overlord) in his head, but didn't have a solid way to connect them, so he just kludged something together.

I love Snuggly's smirking eye in panel 5. It makes me giggle.
    Wall sighting and cute as a button Snuggly in one update, aaahhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Snuggly is clever, you need to give him that. First he makes a deal with DJ that he would help him to capture the HoM, in exchange for eating parts of the world, even if he had nothing to offer. Then he again makes a deal with DJ to help, but gets another thing for it. And doesn't really deliver. Getting paid twice without giving the promised thing is pretty slick.
    King DJ is set up as some kind of great and accomplished political machinator here, and he gets played by a hungry eyeball that never even spoke to any human before him.
    That sure is a villain we have here.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-22 at 06:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #565

Man, Dave, I bet you wish you'd gotten other people on board with this. Maybe some wizards from the KINGDOM OF WIZARDS who have an interest in maintaining their magical prowess, or something. Or maybe some wizards from the KINGDOM OF WIZARDS could just have been pressed into service, since you're their absolute monarch! Or maybe you could have used some of your ARMY OF WIZARDS from the KINGDOM OF WIZARDS, since the population might be too free (?) to accept your yoke and bit, but your soldiers signed up to take orders?

I don't understand this secrecy at all, is what I'm trying to say. Is he worried that literally nobody else in the setting cares about the Heart of Magic (tm) throwing them under a bus? That they'll be so aggressively not worried about it that they'll strip him of kingship or something?

Also one more thing - where are they in Panel 2?
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2012-08-22 at 06:27 AM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post

Also one more thing - where are they in Panel 2?
    the KINGDOM OF WIZARDS?

Heh, probably some other unnamed demiplane made by MAGIC.
    Last edited by Skaven; 2012-08-22 at 07:10 AM.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Today was made even more glorious by the newspost. "Some folks were asking me why the king was referring to The Beast as "his lord" when it owed its existence to him. I hope today's comic answers that question. I had completely forgotten about that aspect and, given he brought nothing to the equation, I just figured two panels should do it."
    Well, the fact that he's making it up as he goes along and really doesn't care isn't exactly news, but it's nice to know he's still aware of it.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-08-22 at 09:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Some folks were asking me why the king was referring to The Beast as "his lord" when it owed its existence to him. I hope today's comic answers that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade
    ...I had completely forgotten about that aspect and, given he brought nothing to the equation, I just figured two panels should do it.
    I stand by my proclamation of utter incompetence.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-08-22 at 12:37 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

I should make clear at this juncture that only the "Some folks were asking me why the king was referring to The Beast as "his lord" when it owed its existence to him. I hope today's comic answers that question." was actually Mookie - the rest was my interpretation.

It would be amusing to let it continue but I think that might get out of hand.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    I should make clear at this juncture that only the "Some folks were asking me why the king was referring to The Beast as "his lord" when it owed its existence to him. I hope today's comic answers that question." was actually Mookie - the rest was my interpretation.

It would be amusing to let it continue but I think that might get out of hand.
    Thanks, and fixed.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.