New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I suppose I might also have a smug look on my face if I saved someone by reminding them to cast the spells they specialize in, while they're in a place where the magic is at it's strongest.
    I'm confused (again).
    Did he need the mask because not all the air was breathable, or because "the wind sucked the air from his lungs"?
    Is this the excuse to stop drawing masks?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

So?.. Are we sure Nimmel didn't suffer some brain damage at some point. Because I'm not sure how as a wizard you would forget that you can cast spells to do things. But Mookie's telling us that he didn't even try magic at any point before he dove into the suicide hurricane.

Also, now that Dominic is saving the day, Runt girl is pretty much a sideline prop. Of course, what female would ever take the spotlight from Mookie Prime.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-07-26 at 01:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to ignore the fact that Nimmel should have suffered some sort of physical stress by this point if he has been unable to breath for any time longer than a minute or two because I'm assuming that he has enough endurance to maintain his consciousness. Because wizards who spend their whole days sitting around reading "how-to" books on dating girls are known for their stamina.

But seriously, people have been calling him a seasonal mage since he was first introduced and the most I've seen him do is use his powers to manipulate snow to beat up some werewolves. Wasn't that the whole point of his character anyways? He went to the spellwolf country so he could feel in control for once.
    Where did this kid gain the knowledge and skill to manipulate a massive natural hurricane?Answer: Plot convenience

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Where did this kid gain the knowledge and skill to manipulate a massive natural hurricane?
    Well, it's not like rules of magic are defined enough in story beyond beam spam and bubble shields anyway. So ya. Plot convenience

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I suppose I might also have a smug look on my face if I saved someone by reminding them to cast the spells they specialize in, while they're in a place where the magic is at it's strongest.
    NO! This is...! I honestly can't stop screaming! This is STUPID!

What the hell does Katya see in Nimmel!? It certainly isn't intelligence! How any species in any universe could produce such a failure of basic thought processes is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The name 'seasonal magic' is grating on me right now. I think mostly just because he's done nothing like this before. I guess, technically, it fits under the definition of 'seasonal magic' since storms are a natural part of the seasons, but it feels cheap.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

What the hell does Katya see in Nimmel!?

She sees someone who treats her as a person, rather than a runt.

Also, the Mookie Sue is strong with him.

Pick your reason.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    The name 'seasonal magic' is grating on me right now. I think mostly just because he's done nothing like this before. I guess, technically, it fits under the definition of 'seasonal magic' since storms are a natural part of the seasons, but it feels cheap.
    "Elemental magic" would be a more fitting name, methinks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

I think someone in this thread predicted this would happen.

Panel 4 Dominic is so creepy. It looks like he just had an orgasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Penquin47 View Post
    "Under-
    Standing Runts"
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-07-26 at 04:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Well, it's not like he WROTE that book, and at least he was trying to educate himself about the condition. Besides, Katya doesn't know he was reading it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nimmel has one special ability but needs the voice of Dominic to remind him to use it to save his life. Classic Deegan in every way, bravo.

In related news, Nimmel has unseated Luna to claim the title of Worst Hero in Dominic Deegan.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-07-26 at 04:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Superman! Remeber that you can fly!
    The Flash! Remember that you are fast!
    The Hulk! Remember you are strong!
    Spiderman! Remember you can shoot webs!
    Batman! Remember you can fight!
    Professor Xavier! Remember you are telepathic!
    The Fantastic Torch! Remember you can become fire!
    etc etc
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-07-26 at 05:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

The top row of panels would be good for a mouth flips slay. I can't post images, but maybe someone else could do it...

14. - Top - End - #44

Too bad Nimmel treats all other werewolves poorly, just so he can show off as "a big dog." I also remember Nimmel having a huge crush on more beautiful women, too. Mookie is writing Katya as someone with such poor self-respect that she's ecstatic to be the second pick of a bully. Wow.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    What the hell does Katya see in Nimmel!?
    As someone else said, Nimmel is one of the few people she regularly deals with to not treat her like crap.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    As someone else said, Nimmel is one of the few people she regularly deals with to not treat her like crap.
    Which, of course, is the basis of tuew wuv

Newspost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Someone pointed that out at the Dominic Deegan Q&A at this year's ConnectiCon, so those in attendance got a tiny spoiler that Nimmel actually has an advantage in The Tempest after all. The jury's still out as to whether there'll be any Shakespeare references.
    Which is worst? That Mookie honestly thought that Nimmel being strong in a violent storm was a spoiler, or that he's vaguely aware that there is a potential Shakespeare reference to be made?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2012-07-26 at 08:00 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    It's the emotional attachment equivalent of pity sex.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Mookie is writing Katya as someone with such poor self-respect that she's ecstatic to be the second pick of a bully. Wow.
    So like pretty much every woman in this comic then. Emotionally fragile character that falls in love with the one person who treats them nicely. These women and the "Nice Guys" they attach themselves to are the only relationships in this comic.

That said, Mookie would actually gain a respectful nod from me if Nimmel and Runt girl don't end up a romantic couple. Sure Nimmel "loves" (and by that I mean is sexually aroused by) her, but Runt has never said the same, and in fact yelled about being in love with Milov. Given how Mookie writes relationships for his heros though, I'm not holding out much hope.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-07-26 at 10:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

PirateCaptain

I used to root for Nimmel and Katya, but she can do a lot better than a guy who's so stupid he forgets how to magic while he's in his "element". A Seasonal Wizard forgets he can control Seasonal Magic. What. That's like a Fire Mage forgetting how to Fire.

But yeah, like it's been said, that top row looks like slay-gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50

So like pretty much every woman in this comic then. Emotionally fragile character that falls in love with the one person who treats them nicely. These women and the "Nice Guys" they attach themselves to are the only relationships in this comic.
    Don't forget that each of those women is far more powerful than any of the regular people who treat her as an outcast. But attractive women (e.g. Luna's sisters, even Jayden) are actually weak and have bad values.

Runt has never said the same, and in fact yelled about being in love with Milov
    That makes it even worse. Mookie blatantly makes these women emotionally fragile, only to have them "saved" by one of his Mookie sues.

So each Mookie Sue unlocks twu wuv and untapped magic power.

(yes, I fixed the post. sorry!)
    Last edited by elros; 2012-07-26 at 10:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    another great strip. My favorite is how Malack and Qaar are protected behind the steel door. If you check the previous strip, you can even see the door was included in it, too!
    I also like how Tarquin will allow Nale to screw up, just to make a point. Classic.
    It will be interesting to see how each member of the linear guild compares to Durkon's level.
    Wait, was this posted in the wrong forum, or was this an intentional displacement meant to emphasize how much you hated the latest strip from Dominic Deegan?

Edit: so it was the former.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-07-26 at 11:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, was this posted in the wrong forum, or was this an intentional displacement meant to emphasize how much you hated the latest strip from Dominic Deegan?
    Man, this got meta real quick
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

It is truly pathetic when a character needs another character to remind them of their only character trait.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Man, this got meta real quick
    Sadly, that wasn't the case. If it was, I would be reminded of an old Boondocks strip, where Riley is talking to the hardcore Star Wars fan who was broken by The Phantom Menace and was rambling in a delusional manner about how great it was.

25. - Top - End - #55

Sadly, I've seen real life examples of this. I even had one that attached itself to me in high school. And if it goes anything similar, Nimmel had better start filling out the restraining order right now.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

wow. just wow.

On a positive side: this is probably the first relationship in the comic that shows the woman as a strong, wilful and independent. At least in comparison to the man. Of course Nimmel has the intelligence and ambition of moss, so that is not hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Sadly, I've seen real life examples of this. I even had one that attached itself to me in high school. And if it goes anything similar, Nimmel had better start filling out the restraining order right now.
    Ya, it happens in real life. But it doesn't make for a healthy longterm relationship. That's what makes it so frustrating that this appears to be the only relationship Mookie thinks exists. That said, I'm going to give him a temporary pass until these two are officially a couple.

Hell, the most believable relationship in this comic is actually Greg and Pam. They were an item, Pam realized what a horribly irresponsible whiner Greg is, and dumped his ass.

(And I guess Mom/Dad Deegan)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    So, it's like that episode of Family Guy, where Meg becomes really attached to Brian?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: so it was the former.
    Ah, a reverse Multilis.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'm confused (again).
    Did he need the mask because not all the air was breathable, or because "the wind sucked the air from his lungs"?
    Is this the excuse to stop drawing masks?
    At this point, the only thing that makes any sense at all if it's a magic mask that provides you with whatever sort of air you need to breathe.

This is at the same time a likely explanation, and more thought than Mookie puts into the strip.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe