New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

I find werewolf corpses dangling on these black spike things unfittingly hilarious.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Jacob: Ruined because his mother is hugging him?
    Not really. It's the sort of thing I can see Miranda doing, and his reaction seems about right.

Jacob: Ruined because the plot disintegrated the zombies faster than he could?
    Possibly. The fact that he just had to wait for the Plot to look favorably upon him and get rid of the zombies for him puts him one step closer to DeeganSue territory.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget - he was trying to do something about it. The zombies dissolving was the comic trying to remind him he's one of the good guys now, they don't have to try.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Chiming in late on the flesh armor thing, but I figure necromantic magic would let him harden dead flesh (yes, yes, laugh it out now, I'll wait) in addition to shaping it, sort of how in fantasy you see ice mages making effective armor out of hardened ice or paper mages making swords out of paper and having lightsaber duels with Japanese Tesla.

Wait sorry I wandered into a much better story there for a second.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Not really. It's the sort of thing I can see Miranda doing, and his reaction seems about right.
    Jacob and family in 2003
    Jakob and family in 2012

I stick with ruined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

6. - Top - End - #1266

Oh ho ho, another successful family reunion at the no-man's-land! :D
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    It's the sidewards awkward glance that is the most un-Jacob thing. Part of his character is that he's never embarrassed about anything.

Or at least that's what I thought his character was, before everyone was Mookie.

8. - Top - End - #1268

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    It's the sidewards awkward glance that is the most un-Jacob thing. Part of his character is that he's never embarrassed about anything.

Or at least that's what I thought his character was, before everyone was Mookie.
    Eh, I'll let this one slide. If memory serves, everyone and their toddler-cat did the aside glance back in the day. That doesn't make it not annoying, of course, but I'm not sure if it's quite irredeemably out-of-character.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that's one of the weirder double posts I've seen. (And now it's gone.)

Anyway, I agree that it's not out of character because there are no characters in this comic. Also because...

...he's done that sidewards glance before. I'm actually surprised Mookie didn't add one of the "linky reminders" he loves so dearly to the newspost.

So, seems like the Deegan oddly preoccupied with corpses has been Mookie for a long time.

EDIT: I know it's not really the same kind of awkward situation, but details...
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-09-29 at 09:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1270

GnomeWizardGuy

Anyway, I agree that it's not out of character because there are no characters in this comic.
    That's another way of putting it.

EDIT: I know it's not really the same kind of awkward situation, but details...
    It almost works in that case because both were uncomfortable about working with each other. Although it would have been better for Jacob to express it a different way.

I'm nitpicking on a small detail, and on the surface it doesn't matter at all, but to me it's systematic of how no-one has any individuality in the comic, or as you put it: there are no characters in this comic. Deegans* are all Mookie and villains are all racist jocks, and that's it.

(* At least the male Deegans are. I don't want to think too hard about what it means that Confident Luna is the same as Miranda.)

EDIT: BTW, what's the general conventional definition of "Mookinsertion"? I've been using it for characters that are quite literally Mookie (as in his RPG characters, or ones he has explicitly self-identified with): Dominic, Jacob, Donovan, Nimmel, Stonewater, Snowsong. Also Zelda.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-29 at 10:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1271

EDIT: BTW, what's the general conventional definition of "Mookinsertion"? I've been using it for characters that are quite literally Mookie (as in his RPG characters, or ones he has explicitly self-identified with): Dominic, Jacob, Donovan, Nimmel, Stonewater, Snowsong. Also Zelda.
    Given that that's the only definition that doesn't end up being "all of the characters," I'd go with yours.

Well, that's one of the weirder double posts I've seen.
    Or my argument was so good, it had you seeing double~! :D

or yeah maybe I just wasn't paying attention
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say characters that have been "played" by Mookie either in games (e.g. Dominic, Snowsong, Jacob) or in real life (e.g. Zelda). Characters that Mookie merely likes (e.g. Luna, Dex) are treated so differently that they should be kept distinct.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #1273

BTW, what's the general conventional definition of "Mookinsertion"? I've been using it for characters that are quite literally Mookie (as in his RPG characters, or ones he has explicitly self-identified with): Dominic, Jacob, Donovan, Nimmel, Stonewater, Snowsong. Also Zelda.
    I was thinking the definition was something like characters who were very obviously spouting Mookie's opinion on things. Usually there's only one of these per arc or situation, with the other characters just serving as puppets to back up the character spouting the opinion, or strawmen to be knocked down. Stunt in the Wild Edge would be an example. Jayden and Milov would not be examples, since they always play the role of supporting puppet.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-09-30 at 12:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1274

GnomeWizardGuy

Up early today. (Sneaky)
    Future Link

Back to morning cartoon fare, with the Beast as Krang. I guess that makes TIM, Shredder. Hopefully Pam will turn into April O'Neil.

In I Love Dominique, we learn the meaning of Jayden and Milov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-30 at 07:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275

This is where the Beast just reaches out and destroys Dominic.
    Because remember, the Beast is the one who pulls the strings in this relationship. Not the King.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Troll in the Playground

In I Love Dominique, we learn the meaning of Jayden and Milov:
    Oh my god, that explains everything!
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

Dominic's convincing lying abilities - pointing at someone else and wearing a mask. Indeed.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #1278

So, anyone think Milov and Jayden will be permanently affected by this new threat? Oh, wait, that's right, none of us care.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

King in the last panel, so villainous. I'm shaking my fist at the screen right now.

Also, absolutely nobody died. People were impaled by spikes made from necromantic energy and gnawed on by zombies, and Mookie couldn't bring himself to off one of those guys because it would have been Luna's fault. I try to work up some kind of indignation here but I really only find it kind of funny that Mookie can be so completely unable to separate his own feelings from his work and at the same time make it look like he doesn't care at all.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-09-30 at 10:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280

In order to combat Callan's falling economy, DJ picks up a second job as a James Bond villain. Eyeballs with frickin' laser beams ensue.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

King in the last panel, so villainous. I'm shaking my fist at the screen right now.
    This is precisely why Mookie's best villains don't spend much time talking -- Mookie sucks at writing dialogue generally, and villainous dialogue particularly.

None of this mooks has a personality distinct from "villainous stereotype #284" which makes it really hard to treat them as anything as props for the storyline. Ideally someone would make a Slay where all characters lower than First Caste are replaced by Stick Dexes with their lines painted on signs hung around their necks.

The fact that this Slay doesn't exist proves we don't live in the best of all possible worlds
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    This is precisely why Mookie's best villains don't spend much time talking -- Mookie sucks at writing dialogue generally, and villainous dialogue particularly.
    Ya, what actually gets me about the dialogue in particular for this strip is King DJ referring to the hear of magic as an "obsession". The word "Obsession" generally has negative meaning as it implies a lack of self-control. While it does accurately describe DJ, he himself should not be using the word as he would think he's better than that. More than likely he would just praise the heart of magic, or claim that Dominic has seen its true glory... King DJ, by refferring to it as an obsession, is essentially saying that he is enslaved to the heart of magic

A similar example that comes to mind would be Ras Al ghul in batman beyond; by maintaining his youth and living hundreds of years, he believes that he conquers death, but Wanye interprets his quest of everlasting life to be a sign of fear in death. Unless a villain is very humble, they will try to put their actions into words that can make them proud and make them feel in control.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Dwarf in the Playground

So King DJ is now less intelligent than his own eyeballs. Uh huh.

Also, while it's a minor nitpick. I don't think it's very wise to be discussing that you plan to betray someone when they are right next to you. Ya, Dominic is probably unconscious, but wouldn't it have been better to shove him in one of those black squares like what happened to Celesto.

Also, the King should really be expecting betrayal, if he himself plans to betray Dominic.

24. - Top - End - #1284

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Yeah, but I could swear that the King's the worst yet. Somehow.

Really, it's like TheLaughingMan said, this dude's pretty much a Bond villain. I almost expect a completely unguarded Dominic to slowly be lowered into a shark pool in a future Friday cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    So King DJ is now less intelligent than his own eyeballs. Uh huh.
    But on the other hand, he no longer defers to them in any kind of way whatsoever.
    (That does make it better, right?)

26. - Top - End - #1286

PirateCaptain

Sneaky

Wah wah waaaah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

Mhmm, that's the smell of pure waste. It's a smell Mookie must love.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #1288

Pam: You can help by torching FaceBad's LP library.

and then just go ahead and torch yourself just in case
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-10-02 at 12:13 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Sneaky

Wah wah waaaah.
    I could nitpick on some details, but the main issue is having this scene at all.

On second thought, I will just say this: Does Greg realize that Donoven and Stunt also don't have magic?

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I could nitpick on some details, but the main issue is having this scene at all.
    Seriously, that is quite possibly the weirdest of all possible transitions.

Also, panel 4 almost had me thinking Mookie would address the completely valid point that Pam just went and decided to risk the lives of everyone in Barthis because she wanted to and is in the position to just do it, which is abuse of power. But no, it's wacky time! Oh, that Taz!

Anyway, it's now officially recognized by a Deegan that magic means you can only be touched by other people with magic in Dominion. Not that it wasn't clear before, but now one of the dispensers of absolute truth has said it.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-02 at 12:23 AM.