New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Artwork is the usual Mookie fare actually, boring composition, stiff/static posing, terrible anatomy, just a blah page really. I'd do a redraw but I have better things to do.

2. - Top - End - #1382

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Dom looks less like he's being tortured by otherworldly horrors and more like he just wandered into the ladies room and is having a particularly anime moment.

"DJ-chan, I can explain!"
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-10-10 at 12:58 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh. Boring and bland page. It doesn't advance the plot. It doesn't convince me Dominic is in any danger. It's not terrible art by DD standards, but those are so low that they can compare to a child's crayon drawing. And Mookie cannot draw a face with a believable expression of fear or terror.

So basically..

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Dom looks less like he's being tortured by otherworldly horrors and more like he just wandered into the ladies room and is having a particularly anime moment.
    Edit: And Mookie has oversaturated his comic with tentacles so much that they have lost all meaning/threat. It's like beamspam to me now.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-10-10 at 12:58 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

No tension or logic, but Dominic is being tortured so I'll enjoy it while I can.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Given the way he's positioned . . . To me, it actually looks like he's slipped on something and is about to fall on his ass.

Definitely lacking the terror one would expect in the situation he's in.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    If you saw today's comic and said something along the lines of, "wait, what?!" then I consider this a successful update.
    Well, it's all good then, because I still don't know what's happening. Of course, that's because I'm pretty sure there is no possible explanation for the last updates that would make sense and because I can't really parse Dominic's or the king's expressions beyond a very basic level - as in, Dominic is in some way unpleasantly surprised, and the king probably regrets not having a mustache to twirl.
    But, hey, mission accomplished.

On that note:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post

"DJ-chan, I can explain!"
    Perfect.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ettin in the Playground

It's disappointing how closed-minded people are in this thread. Have none of you considered the possibility that Dominic might actually be into this sort of thing? After all, Luna strikes me as being a highly unsatisfying lover. Maybe this is part of DJ's offer:

"Join me, and tenctle pleasure shall be yours FOR ALL ETERNITY!"

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Colossus in the Playground

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bluff? The room WAS real, this is the illusion. DJ was trying to cause doubt in doms mind about what is real so he could pull this off. Basically, this is total recall levels of mind screwery. Of course, that would be too awesome of an idea for mookie to make it work.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a bluff? The room WAS real, this is the illusion. DJ was trying to cause doubt in doms mind about what is real so he could pull this off. Basically, this is total recall levels of mind screwery. Of course, that would be too awesome of an idea for mookie to make it work.
    Whichever version is real, this at least makes the King's blowing of his advantage over Dominic make more sense - it's an intimidation trick to avoid Dominic just second sighting everything DJ's planning. Not that Dominic would, but you know, in theory.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

So I stopped reading Dominic Deegan about a year and a half ago. Has it gotten better since then?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #1391

Whichever version is real, this at least makes the King's blowing of his advantage over Dominic make more sense - it's an intimidation trick to avoid Dominic just second sighting everything DJ's planning. Not that Dominic would, but you know, in theory.
    Exactly, if he can confuse Dom into not knowing if what he sees is real, then his seer advantages are canceled out. It IS possible to trick dom, even if only for a short time with illusions. Momma deegan pulled it off that one time. And DJ is way more powerful atm. I could see him creating some very solid illusions that could fool dom long enough to make him wonder if anything he sees is real. Of course it will inevitably fail in the end, but it is a good strategy. Make the guy whose entire battle strategy revolves around seeing the truth question what the truth really is.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ettin in the Playground

http://baron-mookie.deviantart.com/
    Mookie just revealed his deviant art account (less cartoon, more photos). I think I am the only casual reader in the forum (didn't feel complaint about it and just read it for fun).
    Edit: For the blight victim, I rather draft them for deathseeker squads or give them a good bolt round to the head.
    Last edited by t209; 2012-10-10 at 10:56 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So I stopped reading Dominic Deegan about a year and a half ago. Has it gotten better since then?
    It's the train wreck that just keeps chugging along the rails!

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

If you saw today's comic and said something along the lines of, "wait, what?!" then I consider this a successful update.
    By the same logic, I guess we should consider this to be a good year.

Confusion as a story teller tool only works if you are not confused during an entire arc.
    And like Rhapsh already mentioned, same thing applies to expecting terror from tentacles after using them for everything except baking cookies.

(Hmm, now I want to see a strip with the beast making cookies...)

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

It's gotten less boring.

16. - Top - End - #1396

Mookie is aiming for utter confusion, and he's succeeding admirably. Does that count?
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-10-10 at 02:00 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Barbarian in the Playground

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bluff? The room WAS real, this is the illusion.
    Alternatively, neither of these are real! The beam that hit Dominic straight up killed him, and DJ caught his soul before it skipped off to heaven. How's Dominic going to betray him without a body? A laughable conceit! And all he really needs is Dominic's intellect/magic/whatever - the frail meat shell can be cast aside for fertilizer or whatever.
    And he's got the master necromancer to hand, so, I don't think this is absurdly unreasonable.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

18. - Top - End - #1398

Mookie, making people go "What?" is not a difficult accomplishment, you've been doing it without trying for years. Don't think it makes you an amazing writer.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Confused? GOOD!

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised how much DD bashing is in this thread. If you don't like it, find other webcomics to read!

It looks like there's a couple of questions that need to be answered. First off, is the current situation an illusion? Second off, how can the archmage fool Dominic?

21. - Top - End - #1401

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I'm surprised how much DD bashing is in this thread. If you don't like it, find other webcomics to read!
    Oh boy, a fan! a genuine DD fan!
    sooo... let me make the honores of he house and welcome you in this our little snarky thread and ask you a question: Why do you like DD?

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Oh boy, a fan! a genuine DD fan!
    sooo... let me make the honores of he house and welcome you in this our little snarky thread and ask you a question: Why do you like DD?
    Hard to say. Why do some people like ketchup on their hash browns?

So, why base a community on bad-mouthing something?

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Up until a few years ago DD was in this weird place of fascinating badness. There was usually an interesting story idea buried in there somewhere, but it would inevitably be smothered by the execution. What made it interesting was that it was hard to predict exactly how it would careen off the tracks. This uncertainty of how it would all go wrong, combined with the certainly that it will, made it fascinating to follow day by day.

Unfortunately Mookie's heart isn't in the comic anymore, and the comic has been quite boring and predictable for a least a year. I suspect everyone here is following it out of a grim desire to see the comic through to the bitter end.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-10-10 at 07:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1404

Additionally, reading the comic was treated a lot like watching one of those horrible chop seuy kung fu flicks. They are absolutely terrible films, but they are so bad, that its oddly enjoyable to watch. We used to enjoy ourselves by pointing out the rather extensive list of things that were wrong with each comic. Missing limbs, inappropriate walls, plot holes, blatant contradictions, whatever. Now its like traz said, we are basically waiting for the end of the comic, mainly because we have already invested a decade or so of snark into it, because even the snark has gotten tired due to the comic going from so bad its enjoyable to tear apart, to so bad it sucks.

*EDIT* Also, if you have just started the comic and basically read it start to present that oddly enough makes it more enjoyable to read for some reason. Probably because you arent spending 24 hours with each strip to notice all the mistakes and such. I too used to enjoy the comic. Once I caught up though and started reading it by daily update, my enjoyment faded. Of course, even now I will sometimes speak up when I feel the attacks are getting silly and over the top. Sometimes we get a bit carried away and we get deep into the damned if he does, damned if he doesnt category.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-10-10 at 07:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, I think the comic's recovered quite nicely. At one point it got so boring that I quit reading it for a year or so, but it's a lot better now that Mookie is desperately scrambling for a finish.

The flashback revealing the king's past was comedy gold.

The past few comics were pretty boring again, though, but I'm sure the incoming info dump about what the hell is going on will make up for it.

Soooo...
    Because it's fun, at least often enough to make keeping up with the comic worthwhile.

You may not like that, but in that case, find another thread to read.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-10 at 07:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1406

*EDIT* Also, if you have just started the comic and basically read it start to present that oddly enough makes it more enjoyable to read for some reason. Probably because you arent spending 24 hours with each strip to notice all the mistakes and such. I too used to enjoy the comic. Once I caught up though and started reading it by daily update, my enjoyment faded. Of course, even now I will sometimes speak up when I feel the attacks are getting silly and over the top. Sometimes we get a bit carried away and we get deep into the damned if he does, damned if he doesnt category.
    That and you don't have to experience Maltak in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    That and you don't have to experience Maltak in real time.
    I think I might actually sit down and re-read Maltak at some point, just to see all the hilariously stupid plot twists without being soured on the whole thing by several weeks of watching some people aimlessly wandering through the white void.

28. - Top - End - #1408

You ever see Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Basically, stripping off the paper-thin sci-fi premise, it's a show about three guys who get together and watch B-movies together. Everything ranging from Mr. B Natural to Plan 9 makes it to the small screen, and each of our heroes makes it their mission to toss as many silly jokes at the movie as their time-slot will allow. They don't hate the movies, at least most of the time. It's just having a bunch of friends get together and have a nice, fun night watching goofy movies. It goes to show that entertainment doesn't die if it can't get the audience to react like they should.

That's kind of what we do here. We like Dominic Deegan most of the time too, just not the way it was intended to be.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

ill admit i like the comic as well, why do i like it? like the other person said its some what hard to put my finger on it likely part of it is im not expecting to much from the comic.
    I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it so continuity problems arnt a big deal and the art is good enough. Ill admit a few arcs were fairly boring but he updated often enough that i stuck with it as much out of habit as anything else.

honestly i never got why people hated it so much its no girl genius but i never felt like it deserved so much hate.

although i do understand the desire to bash a bad piece of fiction and often read/ watch review entirely for that purpose.

30. - Top - End - #1410

GnomeWizardGuy

Is this the real life? (Sneaky)
    Is this just fantasy? (Future)

Nothing really matters, anyone can see.

Translation Party is playing up, so I tried something else instead:
    Spoiler
    Show