New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Hilariously, the goal of 2011 was to get proof on the king so the council of archmagi would get involved. So, the action tree was
    Find Celesto -> Pierce King's wards -> Find sexy incriminating evidence (?!) -> Bring sexy incriminating evidence to the council -> Sit in a chair for a few weeks while titanic arcane battle rages, creates new Wild Edge in Capitol City.

Man, time really just changes everything huh.
    Oh, I forgot that they wanted the proof to get the archmagi involved. That puts another layer of pointlessness to that year's arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

This is so hilariously bad when you think about it.

One and a half years ago, it's decided to go looking for proof and a crazy birdman.

Roughly in this order (no that it matters), the following happens afterwards:
    • Sword scrying is invented and promptly forgotten. This is part of a very special episode about how bullying is bad. Proof is fabricated by Celesto and makes the news because the king respects freedom of speech too much to have it endanger his genocidal plans for world domination, but is promptly forgotten. Dominic fiends new Team Deegan members who start looking for real proof offscreen.
    • Some weird stuff about an unimportant dead artist and an equally unimportant battlecaster that can't grow a mustache. And, completely randomly, Celesto's capture. Celesto is stuffed in a magic box to cure his magical mental illness.
    • Mnuuaaugh huuah *sniff* ahuh...
    • Stunt and Jayden randomly wander into Rilian's basement and get a plot item to deliver.
    • Plot item is delivered, then lost. The black cast member dies in the process.
    • Actual proof is found offscreen. Then everyone involved in finding it dies to laserbeams. (Which are fired by the people the proof was originally meant to be presented to.)
    • At some point, Nimmel gets whisked away into an unexplained white void and goes on a magical journey of absurdly contrived coincidences. He is randomly handed another plot item in the process.
    • Another plot item is delivered, several weeks of flashbacks follow. Everything is conveniently explained, because when you can't find anything you just let it find you. Hooray!
    • Zombies out of nowhere! Dominic surrenders himself.
    • Celesto randomly escapes and cures himself by vomiting.

I don't know how everyone else thinks about this, but I feel that maybe, when your starting point is "Team Deegan looks for proof and Celesto" there might possibly be a way leading to "Proof is found, Dominic is forced to join the king, Celesto appears but gets away again." that would be shorter, less contrived, and less reliant on things just randomly happening to the protagonists.

You know, maybe.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-13 at 12:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget the bubble scry, which led to "just use the mundane information you already had", and later completely ignored and re-invented as the sword-scry.

One point I want to remove from the list, is the fact that the information was meant to be given to the arch-magi.
    It's not their fault that they didn't know at the time that they are mind controlled, so the information gathering at least had some meaning, and a reason why it was later ignored.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Stunt and Jayden randomly wander into Rilian's basement and get a plot item to deliver."

While you've already got the desert to die thing here, you could probably break it into multiple points. Because the first 1/3-1/2 of that arc was completely inane and stupid.

I mean, before they even got to Rilian's basement we had Stunt, I didn't stab my mom that lesbian pushed her into my knife. Plus, we had Stunt telling us what "Nice Guys" do. Siggy obviously was nice to Jayden because he just wanted to **** her. Stunt the murderer of many people is telling us things about Siggy's moral character.

Also Jayden went on the pilgrimage to absolve her sins, but we forgot about that.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Also Jayden went on the pilgrimage to absolve her sins, but we forgot about that.
    I think, in Mookie's mind, Jayden was absolved of her sins when Stunt said it wasn't her fault. Granted, Stunt shouldn't have any authority to do so, nor should a priestess take the word of a pickpocket/murderer, but, hey, Stunt's a Mookiee-insert, so he can do whatever Mookiee wants him to.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I think, in Mookie's mind, Jayden was absolved of her sins when Stunt said it wasn't her fault. Granted, Stunt shouldn't have any authority to do so, nor should a priestess take the word of a pickpocket/murderer, but, hey, Stunt's a Mookiee-insert, so he can do whatever Mookiee wants him to.
    I'd say it was more because she forgave herself, thanks to Stunt who said nothing she didn't already know.

In the worst case, her quest was put on hold because of the quest they both got.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Don't forget the bubble scry, which led to "just use the mundane information you already had", and later completely ignored and re-invented as the sword-scry.
    Haha, I remember now.
    Pretty sure we were commenting on how much of a waste of time this all was even back then, too. (Because what else was there to say about those arcs, really?)

One point I want to remove from the list, is the fact that the information was meant to be given to the arch-magi.
    It's not their fault that they didn't know at the time that they are mind controlled, so the information gathering at least had some meaning, and a reason why it was later ignored.
    Yeah, that's why I put it in parentheses. I included it because, when you've got so many tangential stories, and things simply going nowhere, having the whole search for proof turn out to be completely pointless just makes it annoying. At least I think so - I'm personally not annoyed by it, but obviously as someone just reading the comic to make fun of it I'm not really invested in it enough for that to happen.

But I'm pretty sure that if I somehow were a fan of Dominic Deegan, after all of the derails the comic went through, it would have been kind of a kick in the balls to have the search for proof be completely meaningless.

And not the good kind of kick in the balls a writer can deliver - for that, the whole thing just should have been written straight to the point, with events leading up to the reveal without month-long delays as the characters stop to get married, do some navel-gazing in the desert, or explore the past of some dead artist.

EDIT: I'm really not sure, - it's kind of weird to even think of Dominic Deegan as something I could take seriously enough for it's random twists and turns to have some kind of emotional impact on me. But, even if just instinctively, I'd say if you send your characters and readers on this kind of odyssey, there should be some payoff down the road.

"Stunt and Jayden randomly wander into Rilian's basement and get a plot item to deliver."

While you've already got the desert to die thing here, you could probably break it into multiple points. Because the first 1/3-1/2 of that arc was completely inane and stupid.
    Yeah, definitely. I just couldn't remember anything about that arc beyond that Jayden went to the desert...to die and Rilian's appearance. I only remembered that bit about Stunt's backstory when I read your post, for example.

I'm sure there are other things I missed/forgot. I also don't know if I even got the things I listed in the right order. I guess that shows just how badly written this comic is.
    Everything that happens is so random and mostly pointless, it just kind of becomes a blurry haze of bull****.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-14 at 04:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

But I'm pretty sure that if I somehow were a fan of Dominic Deegan, after all of the derails the comic went through, it would have been kind of a kick in the balls to have the search for proof be completely meaningless.
    I can't see how the fans could care about the details of the plot at this stage. Being able to brush away the derails and aborted plot threads is mandatory.

What would have been a groin punch for a DD fan in 2011 was the sheer laziness of the wedding. Ten years of making Dom+Luna Youtube love tribute vids for that.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I can't see how the fans could care about the details of the plot at this stage. Being able to brush away the derails and aborted plot threads is mandatory.
    Yeah, well, I can't, either. But, just hypothetically, I'd expect a DD fan that still does to have been annoyed by the sheer pointlessness of the better part of the comic's last one and a half years.

What would have been a groin punch for a DD fan in 2011 was the sheer laziness of the wedding. Ten years of making Dom+Luna Youtube love tribute vids for that.
    But it was so romantic! She loves him so muuuhauuh!
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-14 at 06:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1450

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, well, I can't, either. But, just hypothetically, I'd expect a DD fan that still does to have been annoyed by the sheer pointlessness of the better part of the comic's last one and a half years.
    I hope Mookie does attempt to tie together all the post-Maltak arcs into a huge beautiful trainwreck for the ending. Facebath, Vasquez and Karnak team up and help Dominic turn into Lion-O to defeat Lord Siggy King of Hell.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm, now we need new thread titles.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Domception
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Do You Think Thats Wine You're Drinking Dominic?
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Evil Eye Versus Evil Eyes.
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: The Eyes Have It
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Next Important Person To Die. Klo Tark (again)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Eyes have it or Evil Eye vs Evil Eyes sounds good.

13. - Top - End - #1453

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

...so who is surprised that the big villain's plan failed instantly? Anyone?

And good grief Mookie, at least try to write in-character. Dave uses mind control, he's not going to be surprised about his mind slaves arriving "on schedule" or say things about "just a little closer" when he's meant to be in complete control. How the heck aren't you catching this?

14. - Top - End - #1454

Maybe Masutel was always evil and it's a more subtle mind control, like that used on Miranda?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

...so who is surprised that the big villain's plan failed instantly? Anyone?

And good grief Mookie, at least try to write in-character. Dave uses mind control, he's not going to be surprised about his mind slaves arriving "on schedule" or say things about "just a little closer" when he's meant to be in complete control. How the heck aren't you catching this?
    Well, to be fair, Dave enchanted the Archmages to be his slaves but he's not actively controlling them. It makes sense Masutel can do things without the King's consent. On the other hand, since Dave has a god like mind manipulator in his prison, and since one other Archmage broke his control through sheer force of will, Dave really should not be so passive with his last puppet.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Miranda broke the enchantment offscreen, and this is the beginning of the glorious counterattack.

Then again, it could be just my hopes that it will end faster.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Dwarf in the Playground

My theory is that the Beast has taken control of Masturel in order to usurp control from King DJ...who is already his servant.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a little closer. That's it. I'm blind by the way.

In case you forgot.

19. - Top - End - #1459

Whatever. Masutel's attack was just a pointless propaganda exercise anyway. The sooner the King gets around to his main goal of the Heart of Magic, the sooner this trainwreck can finally end.

20. - Top - End - #1460

Griffon

Calling it: That's not Masutel, it's Miranda in disguise.

Hell, in the past she's already been able to trick Dominic with an illusion, and he has been established as a far better Seer than King DJ.

I say 'established'..... You know what I mean.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #1461

Maybe Miranda broke the enchantment offscreen, and this is the beginning of the glorious counterattack.
    Of course it is! It only takes Miranda one strip to gain the upper hand in any fight.

My suggestion:

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Has this plot been an illusion all along?

22. - Top - End - #1462

Just a little closer. That's it. I'm blind by the way.

In case you forgot.
    Wait, what, who's blind? Masutel? You must be talking about Masutel, since he doesn't seem to have any eyes.

Unrelatedly, it has apparently been a day and a night since the sky just vomited a flying castle on top of the city. Is this kinda thing routine in a Kingdom of Wizards (tm), and that's why people aren't rioting or evacuating? Or is this just so novel they can't do anything but stare blankly at it? Or what's happening here?
    Just not sure how the timeskip favors King DJ, is what I'm trying to say.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

I hope Mookie does attempt to tie together all the post-Maltak arcs into a huge beautiful trainwreck for the ending. Facebath, Vasquez and Karnak team up and help Dominic turn into Lion-O to defeat Lord Siggy King of Hell.
    Well, if the flashback about the king's past is any indication...

Not much I have to say about today's comic, but it kinda feels like Mookie woke up yesterday and decided to write a comic solely dedicated to showcasing why the king is such a ridiculous character. You've got the Bond villain gloating, the carefully laid plan just falling apart, and a reaction that's more petulant than anything else, all in one update.
    Oh, and just for good measure, the king's blindness again doesn't affect him in any way, as Rhapsh said.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    why people aren't rioting or evacuating? Or is this just so novel they can't do anything but stare blankly at it? Or what's happening here
    They are just commoner class NPC, waiting for a player to give him quest. Seriously, DD makes much more sense if you treat it like computer RPG.
    Last edited by Cen; 2012-10-15 at 07:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1465

I think they panicked when it happened, but since its been a good 24 hours since the floating city appeared and it hasnt obliterated them yet, its probably turned more to curiosity than blind terror. This IS a magic heavy world after all. Its like the difference in reaction to a scene like the start of Independence Day where all the city ships showed up if the world they showed up over was used to alien existence or not.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

This this this this this this this this!

This!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    This this this this this this this this!

This!
    Seconded.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    Seconded.
    Thirded. Or Fourth'd in the event of ninjas.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky
    Future

I'm okay with the panel layout. I'd've preferred a more vertical layout, since it would've read easier.

30. - Top - End - #1470

NecromancerGuy

Lucky she didn't accidentally step on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide