New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

"Tails Gets Trolled" is now one of my favorite things
    thanks whoever mentioned it
    also what the hell is wrong with you

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Well, Gez had the right idea on terrible nicknames. They can't just be terrible on their own. They also have to be incredibly lazy.

Honestly. Picking a nick name that's phonetically the same as your last name?

I will never get over how Nimmel, and I think others in comic, thinks his nickname is somehow cool or amazing.

Besides . . . Even if the Phoenix is supposed to invoke that whole rise from the ashes imagery . . . If someone was known as The Phoenix and they weren't literally a phoenix, my first thought would be "This guy must get the crap kicked out of him all the time."

It's like people forget that phoenixes have to die before they do any rising.
    Last edited by Shogo; 2012-08-05 at 09:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The first of the filler is up. There's more if you Sneaky Gate it.

It's... pretty much what I expected. Hope Mookie doesn't get sick of Mass Effect.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    The first of the filler is up. There's more if you Sneaky Gate it.

It's... pretty much what I expected. Hope Mookie doesn't get sick of Mass Effect.
    I don't know what you're talking about, you're crazy man, you're seeing things that aren't even there man.

5. - Top - End - #215

I haven't played any Mass Effect (all I know about the game is that the alignment of your character determines the color of the explosion at the end when everybody dies; and that there's a chemotherapy alien named Tali that is there for creepy guys to romance), so I can't tell if any of the designs are copied.
    Spoiler
    Show

So, aliens, alien-based superpowers ("project: star power" seems to imply aliens to me), slender snake lady, Stupid Sexy Zoidberg, more tentacles, ugly guys.

I kinda hope the "ultraviolet clearance" thing means the setting will be based on Paranoia, because it'd be hilarious to have Mookie try to cast Paranoia as "a universe where you want to escape to, not from".
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-08-06 at 05:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    "Tails Gets Trolled" is now one of my favorite things
    thanks whoever mentioned it
    I suggest reading the Something Awful thread about it. It provides a quickly updating mirror for the comic and you don't need a deviant art account to view it, plus other stuff like fanart, funny reactions, songs and the motion comics. DA isn't very reliable since an unfunny troll hacked the author's account a few days ago and the imgur gallery is still behind.

It really is a lot better than it has any right to be. I think it might be the only time Trollface and "Cool story bro" were ever used well, except for that original lolitrollu comic about how pointless trolls are.

also what the hell is wrong with you
    Probably a lot of things.

7. - Top - End - #217

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I haven't played any Mass Effect (all I know about the game is that the alignment of your character determines the color of the explosion at the end when everybody dies; and that there's a chemotherapy alien named Tali that is there for creepy guys to romance), so I can't tell if any of the designs are copied.
    They aren't direct copies as far as I can tell, but to my eye they're very much in the same school of sci-fi design. If this bunch was walking through a space station in Mass Effect they would blend in.

It's still a perfectly decent design school that plenty of sci-fi uses, but unfortunately it's hard for me to mesh a realistic style like that with Mookie's newspost where he wants it to be carefree, fast and fun instead of avoiding inner conflict and angst. When I've tried imagining fun and free sci-fi universes for my own projects, they tend to be more along the lines of "Commander Cosmo Comet of Alpha Jupiter Force", with rayguns, fishbowl helmets, unisex miniskirts and fins on everything.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

I do like the cloaked design from the last page.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

When I've tried imagining fun and free sci-fi universes for my own projects, they tend to be more along the lines of "Commander Cosmo Comet of Alpha Jupiter Force", with rayguns, fishbowl helmets, unisex miniskirts and fins on everything.
    So the snarkers will have to slay those for them? Those dastardly fiends!

10. - Top - End - #220

When I've tried imagining fun and free sci-fi universes for my own projects, they tend to be more along the lines of "Commander Cosmo Comet of Alpha Jupiter Force", with rayguns, fishbowl helmets, unisex miniskirts and fins on everything.
    Or Cleopatra in Spaaaace!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

They aren't direct copies as far as I can tell, but to my eye they're very much in the same school of sci-fi design. If this bunch was walking through a space station in Mass Effect they would blend in.

It's still a perfectly decent design school that plenty of sci-fi uses, but unfortunately it's hard for me to mesh a realistic style like that with Mookie's newspost where he wants it to be carefree, fast and fun instead of avoiding inner conflict and angst. When I've tried imagining fun and free sci-fi universes for my own projects, they tend to be more along the lines of "Commander Cosmo Comet of Alpha Jupiter Force", with rayguns, fishbowl helmets, unisex miniskirts and fins on everything.
    On the bright side, that actually means it's a niche that isn't as heavily occupied. After all, there are light-hearted realistic-style comics in other genres, why not a superhero one with a sci-fi base?

I mean, if you think that inner conflict is the primary problem with comics today you may have missed certain larger issues, but that's a different thing. This might turn out better than the sum of its parts.

also I like the second set of sketches, the long creepy alien in the 1700s coat. Actually looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-08-06 at 07:58 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

These kind of remind me of an earlier newspost:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson once said that he was upset with science fiction films and television because all the aliens looked so "human." As though writers and directors with giant budgets failed to look at the extreme diversity of life on Earth to draw inspiration from and instead just added a different skin tone and some longer ears to a humanoid frame to make an "alien."

I hope to make Dr. Tyson proud with the approach I've taken to every creature Miranda deals with on the scale of an archmage. From M'ur'i, to Alduraithel, to (a lesser extent) the silent hermit on the Planar Pathway, and to the other Circle Archmagi I've made it a point for her acquaintances to be as least human as possible. I think it makes for a more fantastical world in the long run.

That being said, I still love my classic fantasy races. As humanoid as it may look, long ears and tusks rule.

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on.
    Although these look okay, I guess. My experiences with science fiction franchises are limited to watching Star Wars once and playing the KotOR games (not sure if I finished the second one), though, so I'm kind of waiting for someone with more knowledge to come in and detail exactly where each one of these designs was stolen from.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-06 at 11:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The drawings look nice. I need to get around to play Mass Effect, though, clearly. (Isn't that sci fi with superpowers already? That's what biotics are, right?)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Sooo anyone knows if Mookie watches FMA? because this alien from tomorrows post? totaly alienated Zolf Kimblee

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    The drawings look nice. I need to get around to play Mass Effect, though, clearly. (Isn't that sci fi with superpowers already? That's what biotics are, right?)
    If by superpowers you mean "telekinesis," then yes. Biotics don't do much beyond that, although they do think through many of the applications of said telekinesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    If by superpowers you mean "telekinesis," then yes. Biotics don't do much beyond that, although they do think through many of the applications of said telekinesis.
    Sort of, yeah. Biotics is the art of using the Mass Effect. Mass Effect is the manipulation of mass. Manipulating mass alters its gravity. Altering gravity changes potential energy. Changing potential energy can affect kinetic energy.

So Biotics is the art of throwing crap around by screwing with physics, and that's really all you need to know.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Sort of, yeah. Biotics is the art of using the Mass Effect. Mass Effect is the manipulation of mass. Manipulating mass alters its gravity. Altering gravity changes potential energy. Changing potential energy can affect kinetic energy.

So Biotics is the art of throwing crap around by screwing with physics, and that's really all you need to know.
    Obligatory Webcomic Link
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Mookie realises that the humanoid aliens in ME are mostly there because of the restrictions of the combat engine, right? The Elcor and jellyfish aliens are the most inhuman because they don't have any recruitable characters.

I bet Mookie will be taking more inspiration from Green Lantern in the inhuman characters. Is there anything Gaiman's done with space aliens? I'm sure we'll see few Sandman creatures.

Number 10 looks eerily similar to something I doodled a few months ago.

Oh, and I just realised that Mookie's new comic will mean that slays will be much harder to do and probably not as funny. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cen
    Sooo anyone knows if Mookie watches FMA? because this alien from tomorrows post? totaly alienated Zolf Kimblee
    The King is very similar to Father, which is probably unconscious plagiarism. I don't think Garth or Mookie realise how much they rehash (hash?) from other sources.

19. - Top - End - #229

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Is there anything Gaiman's done with space aliens? I'm sure we'll see few Sandman creatures.
    kindof

The King is very similar to Father, which is probably unconscious plagiarism
    Now I feel so dumb for not noticing it ever before...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't think there'd be a problem if Mookie's work was a deliberate homage to certain elements of the sience fiction genre (Although I think he'd be better in a Classic Trek homage than Mass Effect, simply because Mookie lacks the ability to create the atmosphere needed for the gradual darkening in the Mass Effect Series). The problem is that this probably won't be nearly that well planned out, and Mookie doesn't do a great job of putting his own mark on these things.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

21. - Top - End - #231

PirateCaptain

I'm...optimistic? What. What is this? This feeling? It burns. I don't. What?

Maybe it'll be okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #232

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    The King is very similar to Father, which is probably unconscious plagiarism. I don't think Garth or Mookie realise how much they rehash (hash?) from other sources.
    You know that Nimmel-y character of mine? The plot of his revolved around clashing with demonic representations of the Seven Deadly Sins with shadowy powers. I was going to name him "Eldric". Back then I'd have thought "Full Metal Alchemist" was a Playstation game, until I was curious about how other artists drew their representation of Envy and did a Google Search.

And FMA's Envy looked uncannily like my Envy too.

Now I feel I owe Mookie an apology. Maybe less so for Garth because come on I haven't read Sandman either and even I know Neil Gaiman's Death.
    Edit: Although to be fair to Garth too, I've only read a dozen pages of his comic and only got as far as Death showing up.

And another webcomic to add to the queue. But yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Rayguns with fins too.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-06 at 07:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I don't think there'd be a problem if Mookie's work was a deliberate homage to certain elements of the sience fiction genre (Although I think he'd be better in a Classic Trek homage than Mass Effect, simply because Mookie lacks the ability to create the atmosphere needed for the gradual darkening in the Mass Effect Series). The problem is that this probably won't be nearly that well planned out, and Mookie doesn't do a great job of putting his own mark on these things.
    I only played ME1 but I think lack diversity in background/faces/everywhere would fit Mookie very well

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Plus he fails at following the rules of War to make Sci Fi Battles.
    From Maltek Arc:
    Orcs charging first instead of opening up arrow barrage until melee. Bad idea; I recommend using an orc to lure the enemies to the firing range.
    Let's cross our fingers if it would be like this comic (AKA bad) or decent.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    I only played ME1 but I think lack diversity in background/faces/everywhere would fit Mookie very well
    1) Mookie isn't doing the art for this. Also, the second game really diversified the enviornments.

2) I was talking about Mood and tone. Mass Effect gets increasingly dark in tone as the games progress. Mookie can't do dark. He needs to stick to campy black and white.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll admit that the art looks really nice and has even got me excited to see where this will go but I have one gripe. How is the tentacles squid creature standing upright? Unless it has some sort of skeleton supporting it's body it wouldn't be able to stand upright because tentacles don't work like that. They are mostly soft tissue that cannot function properly outside of water.

Maybe if the entire tentacle is made up of rigid muscle fiber but even that's kind of breaking suspension of disbelief. Art still looks decent though

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    I'll admit that the art looks really nice
    Just wait, those are merely concept sketches. While Garth draws better than Mookie, he doesn't have a superior grasp on anatomy, posture, or costume design.

For example, the following two pieces were dug by people on the SA thread:
    Spoiler
    Show

Look at the proportions on the zombie fight picture, and of course the woman's legs which are just painful to look at. The costume design for the steampunky one speaks for itself.

Also, just look at the eyes here:
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-08-07 at 11:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wait, those are merely concept sketches. While Garth draws better than Mookie, he doesn't have a superior grasp on anatomy, posture, or costume design.

-Jesus how horrifying
    Is the poor girl's leg broken? How can she swing that machete around with both of her legs broken at the calf?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

For example, the following two pieces were dug by people on the SA thread:
    Spoiler
    Show

Look at the proportions on the zombie fight picture, and of course the woman's legs which are just painful to look at. The costume design for the steampunky one speaks for itself.
    So, Garth's weakness is legs while Mookie's is hands. Good to know.

At least he knows how to draw bladed weapons facing the right way

Also: Look at the dude's arm in Zombie Pic. What are up with those muscles
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    So, Garth's weakness is legs while Mookie's is hands. Good to know.
    Garth's weakness is also eyes. That sky pirate girl, in particular, looks like she's got an alien larva about five seconds from bursting out of the right side of her skull. The sketch girl, meanwhile, looks like she's the daughter of Sloth from The Goonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.