New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Thattaman's Haunting of Harrowstone

All of you have some reason to be at the funeral of Proffesor Lorrimor. For some of you, you studdied with him at university, others defended him in dire straits. But all of you found a place in his heart-and his will. You have arrived in the Restlands, the graveyard for all in Ravengro who pass away; just being here you can feel the air being cooler and that something isn't quite right. It's probably just the eerie feel of the dead.

As you arrive, very few people have come to Lorrimor's funeral and only one person seems truely upset. Kendra Lorrimor is stood weaping next to the proffessors coffin.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thattaman's Haunting of Harrowstone

Charles stands next to the widow in his priestly attire, one tear running down his grey cheek. "Your father was a good man, ma'am. Desna always needs to take the best."

Edit: Sorry! I see a weeping woman with the guy's last name, I kinda assumed.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-07-12 at 12:20 PM.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #3

Spoiler
    Show
    It's his daughter, Wyntonian , just edit your post to say your father. And the weeping orphan. I probably should have siad that earlier.

Kendra looks up at the preist. Thank you. All though I'm not sure everyone in this town had the smae idea. Are you one of my fathers university friends, he spoke often of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Grim enters the graveyard quietly, glancing unhappily at the graves that surround him. Overhearing Kendra speak, he smiles sadly and moves to her. Laying a hand on the should of the priest, murmuring "Brother."

In a smooth Varisian accent, he offers her his kerchief. "Your father was a good man, one of the finest I ever met. I had the pleasure of his company when he traveled among the Varisians in the River Lands. You have my condolences for the loss of such a spirit as his."
    Last edited by Down Comforter; 2012-07-12 at 11:48 AM.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the games I played in died

Player Profile at the Registry

5. - Top - End - #5

Your father was an exceptionally wise man. He wasn't one to prejudge. He offered respect to anyone, reguardless of their face. He offered encouragement and support where noone else would. It was an honor to have known him.
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

6. - Top - End - #6

"The professor was an outstanding man...", says the half-elf in a deep and saddened voice, "...His work might have been of questionable value for the uneducated, yes, but is nevertheless valuable and necessary, anyone with vision and desire to move forward would clearly see that. Never, never let anyone lessen its worth or how great of a man the professor was."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A splash of vibrant pink and green stands out in the graveyard and the somber hues of the mourners' clothing. Siv has temporarily turned her purple wizard's robe black with judicious use of Prestidigitation, but she draws the line at coloring her hair or skin. Aww, poor lady. Is that his daughter? The gnome walks up to the small gathering, crystal-topped staff in hand. (A wizard's staff is an essential part of a wizard's attire.) A small brown owl sits on her padded shoulder.

"Hi, are you Professor Lorrimor's daughter? He talked about you all the time in his letters." Siv reaches up to pat the woman's hand. Humans pat a person's shoulder to comfort them, but that's out of the question for a gnome. "I had all these things I wanted to tell him... he knew so much about the world and magic and stuff. I even named Lorrimor here after him because he was so interesting!" She gestures to the owl. Lorrimor the owl hoots at the mention of his name. "And he liked me, treated me like a fellow scholar instead of a freak. Not that I mind playing the part of a freak, but it gets kind of boring after a while, you know? So your dad knew how to see past the physical and that's a really good thing in a person, especially a scholar because you should never take anything for granted. But maybe when I learn enough magic to travel the planes I can figure out where he went and go talk to him there. I'm sure Pharasma put him in one of the nice places like Elysium or Nirvana! You can come with me if you want to by the time I learn the spell!"

How lungs that small manage to talk that much before stopping for air is one of the mysteries of the gnomish people.
    Last edited by Phasm; 2012-07-12 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

8. - Top - End - #8

Reymord slowly enters the graveyard, keeping his eyes fixed to the ground, and approaches Kendra Lorrimor, figuring she's her daughter from their similarity.

"I know that Professor Lorrimor's loss is very saddening, and having such an understanding man as a father must mean a lot, but..." Reymord stops for a moment to form the correct sentence in his head. "But at least we can find a bit of peace, knowing that he had a full life, seeing the world, and not only seeing, but making a difference in it."

He then takes out his lute. "I would like to honour Professor Lorrimor with a dirge that I wrote, if you are fine with it. I hope it will at least shed some more light to his vigorous and compassionate personality."
    Currently GMing:
    Warcraft: Quest for the Prismatic Blades / IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

A few tears slip down Kendra's cheek as she listens to the outpouring of support and appreciation for her father. Wiping these away with a dark lace handkerchief, she says: "I'm so glad you were all able to make it; so few of the townspeople are willing to come out for funerals with things the way they are in town these days, and I'm not sure many of them really knew my father. I'm also happy he made such good friends on his travels; he always seemed a bit lonely here. I only wish he had more hours on this earth to spend with us all."
    With that, she looks sad and leans over the closed coffin and places one final kiss on the dark, polished wood.

A few onlookers are standing a little bit away from the coffin; looking embarrassed for Kendra at the small number of attendees and both uncomfortable and curious about all of the new and foreign faces the Professor's death has brought to their small town.

Spoiler
    Show

Going to wait for Thattaman to advance further, but I figured you guys would like a reply
    Last edited by archetypal; 2012-07-14 at 10:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"It's the least we can do for him." Reymord states, and prepares himself to play his dirge.

"We salute you oh Professor Lorrimor,
    Thy deeds shall not be forgotten forevermore.
    Your mind, more precious than any jewel or ore,
    Helped unearth Golarion's marvellous knowledge.

Ashik is my name, and I'm glad to have known you,
    Ever since you left, academies are still blue,
    And your contribution permanent, still turned to,
    I am honoured to have paid you(not enough) homage."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform(String Instrument) roll:
    [roll0]
    aaand there goes the roll. I'll do it on OOC.
    Last edited by Maralais; 2012-07-13 at 07:50 PM.
    Currently GMing:
    Warcraft: Quest for the Prismatic Blades / IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #11

As the song gets played, all the pallbearers pick up the coffin and close the lid, you march for ten minutes with the coffin in hands. Just befor you get to Lorrimor's grave, you are stopped by twelve men. One of them, Gibs Hephanus steps forwards.

"That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!"

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness tranforming into anger. "What are you talking about? I arranged it with father Grimburrow. He's waiting for us! THe graves already been dug.

12. - Top - End - #12

The half-elf speaks with his deep voice, now obviously annoyed by the distraction, while his expression does an even worse job at not appearing irritated.

"Is any one of you father Grimburrow or his superior? If not, move aside, talk all you want, but you have absolutely no authority on the matter."

13. - Top - End - #13

Not looking to start trouble, Jadzik politely asks, Surely you have a writ or some other form of formal injunction you can present? Otherwise, by what right do you have to interrupt this mans burial?
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't see this going well...

Diplomacy: (1d20-2)[12]

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Grim moves to the front, "Gentlemen, please. Surely there's something that can be done to alleviate this issue. Please explain to us why, despite the blessing of the Father, you feel that it is important to waylay us in the midst of a burial."

Diplomacy:
    (1d20+12)[23]
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll only count Grim's diplomacy check because everyone elses would have resulted in combat.

Gibs stares angrily at them but allows you to pass. "We just think a necromancer should be buried away from our kin. We'll let you pass, but don't expect any flowers on his grave. With this he spits on the ground.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Grim steeples his hands and bows his head quickly. "We appreciate your cooperation. I will be sure to be available to you later should you wish to voice your concerns in depth."

With that, Grim waves the processional onwards.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

From where he stands with a coffin on his shoulder, Charles glares daggers at those blocking the path. He refrains from swearing during such an occasion, but only just, as they interrupt this man's last great journey on Golarion. The accusation sticks, though..... Necromancer? What?

19. - Top - End - #19

Once the group disperses, Jadzik quietly addresses the other pallbearers. We should get this moving. The professor may have had an open mind, but he typically had a full belly. He rarely missed a meal... Then he keyed them to step off. "Left step on two... one. two. step."
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Siv accompanies the pallbearers, frowning in puzzlement. "Why wouldn't they want him in hallowed ground if he was a necromancer? The whole point of consecrating graveyards is to prevent the dead from turning into undead, so that's the very best place to put someone who was into the whole undead thing! Unless you cremate the corpse, of course, but it doesn't look like they do that here, which they should because there's soooo much necromancy in Ustalav." She pauses for breath.

"And why didn't he tell me he was a necromancer? I don't judge other wizards for their specialties! I mean, necromancy is boring and kind of icky what with the rotting flesh and stuff, but I'm sure he had good reasons for studying it! If he did and they're not being stupid and thinking all wizards are necromancers. I wonder if his spellbook and journals are still around?"

Oh. Wait. "Oops, you're supposed to be quiet at human funerals, aren't you? Shutting up right now!" Siv mimes zipping her mouth shut. Human funerals are so boring. Maybe she can get the Professor's other friends to help her give him a proper gnomish sendoff if there's a tavern around here! One of them is a musician, so they'll have music, and she's got a spell prepared for fireworks...

21. - Top - End - #21

Gaspar shrugs it off, thinking little of the distraction or the accusation, not being a stranger to arcane scholars to study death and necromancy, keeping the pace to take the professor's coffin to its grave.

"Necromancer or not...the father has allowed it, and his decision is ultimate and absolute, regardless of any variables involved...", he mutters.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Grim walks along side the casket, "We should not allow the words of thugs to be accepted as truth without question. Take what they say with a grain of salt; Ustlav folk are hardy, but suspicious and superstitious."
    Last edited by Down Comforter; 2012-07-16 at 12:20 PM.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

One of the other five attendees walking with you speaks up quietly - he has the look of a leader, tall and well built, if slightly past his prime, but well groomed and formally dressed, with a neatly trimmed, thick gray beard and a kind face. "I ought to have introduced myself earlier, but, as you may have noticed, it is in our nature to be somewhat weary of strangers. I am Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, and that was a fine thing you folks did for Kendra and for the memory of the late Professor. Those men who waylaid us are all local farmhands; thugs of low character. I apologize on behalf of my town; perhaps we could learn something from you lot."

Some of the other attendees nod along in agreement, but don't add anything further. The procession continues its solemn walk towards Professor Lorrimor's final resting place.

Spoiler
    Show

Thattaman can continue the plot, but I figured I'd add some local flavor for now
    Last edited by archetypal; 2012-07-15 at 10:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Charles nods appreciatively at the words, and speaks softly to Taren under the coffin. "Desna would say it's a greater blasphemy to interrupt a man's last journey on earth than...whatever they claimed. What's nekrermancy?"

25. - Top - End - #25

The funeral continues without anything else strange happening. Father Grimburrow apologises for the people of his town's rudeness. After the funeral, Kendra takes you back to the Lorrimor house. You wait for about half an hour. In that half hour, she tells you about what Lorrimor did in his work and how unexpected his death was. You learn that he went out to research what he was working on and how a gorgoyle was dislodged and fell on the proffesor to result in his untimely death.

Spoiler
    Show
    Iff any of you want to make a speech about the proffesor at his burrial, then make a diplomacy or perform check. You can talk about Lorrimor in private now if you wish or I'll move onto the will.

26. - Top - End - #26

At the burial, Jadzik gives a telling recount of his experience with the Professor. It was just a few years ago that I met the professor. He found me in the university library. I used to go there when my village would make their runs into the Caliphas market. If he didn’t find me, I would likely have ended up a bored and depressed peat farmer like my friends and family. Like most things in life, he found me to be a curiosity. A half-breed obsessed with reading. He helped guide my studies. He even got me accepted into a few of the religious courses that the university had. Through him I discovered my patron Abadar. Dedicating myself to the progress of civilized society and the destruction of that which opposes it, primarily Ignorance. While I mean no disrespect to my parents, but this man was just as much a father to me. He gave me life… he gave me purpose. A tear falls from his eye as he steps aside for the next speaker.

Spoiler
    Show

Will edit after roll, lets see how well of a public speaker he is firstDiplomacy: (1d20+4)[18]
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-07-16 at 10:26 AM. Reason: adjust from roll
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

27. - Top - End - #27

As the story is told, many people weap in memory of him especially Kendra.

Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations, you got yourself a trust point for the party.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

As Jadzik leaves the stage, Grim steps in behind him. Taking the stage, a slight smile on his face.

"Good people... today we remember a man. A man who lived a life full of vigor and zest. A man with a passion for his work, the people around him, and of course his dear family." Grim looks over to Karen and smiles encouragingly.

He starts to pace back on forth on stage, "When I first met good Professor Lorrimor, I was but a lad, traveling the world. The two of us had this in common: a passion for exploration and discovery, a love for those who shared the destiny of the road, and a constant wonder with the world around us. The good professor was a man who lived his life fully and with the intention to make it a better place for his beloved daughter."

"It is to this adventurer, this bastion of brilliance and kindness, that we gather and grieve. But I tell you, although the grief seems strong now, take heart in the fact that Lorrimor lived a good life, a full life. He would not want us to weep for him! Let us celebrate that our good friend has made this world a better place by his brief time in this place and that now he lives amongst the divine in their golden fields and libraries. Truly, no man deserved better than the good professor."

Grim pulls a brightly emblazoned flask from his coat and raises it to the sky. With a grin, "Here's to you Professor. May your adventures never end."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will add dialogue based on my roll. Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[30]
    Last edited by Down Comforter; 2012-07-16 at 12:50 PM.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Siv sniffles, pulling a pink handkerchief out of her sleeve and dabbing her eyes. She isn't nearly as eloquent as this Varisian guy, but she isn't about to leave Professor Lorrimor's funeral without saying something. As Grim leaves the stage, Siv puts her handkerchief away and walks up to the grave.

"Many people in this country don't really like or trust gnomes or wizards, and I'm both. It was lonely when I came to Ustalav at first... until I met Professor Lorrimor. He treated me like a person instead of a weird fey thing. He helped me learn about what to do and not do in a human country, and told me all about his adventures and magic! It was great. The Professor was exactly the kind of person I had hoped to meet when I left my home, a truly interesting person who thought I was interesting too.

"Professor Lorrimor was a real inspiration to me. I wish I could have spent more time with him. But let's not spend this time being sad for ourselves, people! He's gone on a journey to the Outer Planes, and as long as somebody remembers a person they're not truly gone. The gnomish custom is to celebrate somebody's life after they die, to talk about all the fun and interesting things they did and generally have a good time in their honor. So on that note..."
    Siv makes a few gestures with her free hand, speaking the mystic words that tell the universe what she wants it to do.

Fireworks shoot into the sky, brighter and more colorful than anything alchemy can produce. The display is silent at first until the gnome calls upon her innate powers over sound. Not only do they start making the whistling and crackling of ordinary fireworks, music fills the air with a jaunty tune that the Professor always requested when there was a minstrel around. Among the fire-blossoms above them, more fireworks spell out:

FAREWELL PROFESSOR LORRIMOR!

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Silent Image, followed by the gnome spell-like ability Ghost Sound.
    Last edited by Phasm; 2012-07-16 at 04:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

At the burial site, all of your comments are well received; both moving and inspiring the audience. Kendra in particular is glad to hear the appreciation you all had for the Professor and his life - she even manages a small smile at the gnome's colorful fireworks.

Once you are all sitting in Kendra's living room (which doubles as a cozy library and study), and after she has explained a little bit about the Professor's demise and his most recent activities, she offers you all a drink and you begin to relax around the fireplace. Kendra explains that they are waiting for Councilman Hearthmount, the man who introduced himself at the funeral, to conclude some other business before he comes here to read her father's last will and testament. In the meantime, she is interested to hear anything else you would like to share about your various backgrounds and experiences with her father.

Spoiler
    Show

This is also a good opportunity for any of the group members to introduce their various skills to the rest of the group.