New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

"Making camp seems like a good idea, I'd rather face anything that's made its home there fully rested."

Darius looked over at Alexis, "I'm sure you've probably guessed what my trade is by now. I'm a Paladin of Krin, my work is all too often bloody but I do what I can to ensure any blood spilled is only that which is necessary. I served with the army," he nods towards Anthony, "Much the same way as our friend over there did, I joined because I felt that the Army offered the path with the least overall bloodshed for our people."

A haunted look enters Darius' eyes, "I... would prefer not to talk too much about that."

A smile returns to his face, it appears slightly strained "As for my skills, I'm afraid I'm not good for much beyond fighting. I'm not entirely useless in the woods and I tend to be good with people. I think you'd be best off looking elsewhere for fonts of knowledge though."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tulkar heads into the forest with the group. Bugs buzz around him and land on his skin, and he begins to sweat in his heavy armor. The half-orc genuinely looks miserable. "I hate having to travel through the forest" he says to himself, not expecting an answer. Forested areas are all too familiar to him, and after a while his mood starts to lighten. His misery was likely more due to the fact that he elected to take the road.

He thinks about how to best respond to Alexis' question for a few moments. Deciding he doesn't want to tell them about his dark magic abilities, he says "I rely mainly on a good swing of my axe. Skilled at throwing a smaller one too, if need be." Not a complete lie, as he does primarily use his axes. He is glad with what he went with though, seeing as there was a paladin in the group. He decides that he is not very fond of Darius either. A paladin's morals are more like to get in the way than to smite evil. Besides, he was a soldier; and in Tulkars opinion, wrong. Despite Darius saying that he didn't want to talk about it, Tulkar responds anyways.

He gives a short laugh that could be mistaken for a grunt "Y'know, you've got it all wrong. Soldiers create bloodshed, not reduce it."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthony shakes his head at the half orc child Has the kingdom truly sunken so low? We now use child soldiers to fight a man's war? May god or whoever forgive us for that, he should be running around with some pack of children and botching attempts to talk to girls.

"I was a leader of a unit of fighting men, a respected one if you can believe it, I always led by example on the battlefield. I was always first to lead the charge and last to leave the field ensuring no man was left behind, the enemy learned to fear me and my axe. I am exceptionally hard to take down, the one that took my eye and ear learned that the hard way and unlinke standard soldiers I was taught to be a man at arms. Learning the art of war and several combat disciplines, due to the religious beliefs of the house I was also instructed in standard doctrine and history. I am also pretty good on a horse if that means anything to anyone though it isn't important at the moment."
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Though your conversation is at times strained, it does help the miles pass. Under the guidance of the druid Uriell, with occasional advice and assistance from Darius and Tamni'el, you move quickly through the forest towards your goal. As you move deeper into the woods, the trees grow larger and the underbrush things. While the edges of the wood is cut back by peasants collecting firewood and timber, the inside of the forest is mostly untouched by civilization.

The quiet stillness of the forest brings with it a kind of peace for those that enjoy the woods. Here, under the canopy, shrouded from the sun, is peace and cool serenity. The little signs of forest creatures tell you that all is well, and the occasional lazy call of birds speaks of contentment to you. The ground, made soft from fallen leaves and moss, eases your steps far more then the hard stone of a road.

For those among you unused to nature, the woods are more disturbing; a place of unnatural quiet and shadows, with no rhyme or reason to them. No landmarks exist to mark your passage, giving the sense that you wander in circles. As night closes in, you find yourself unable to tell if you've traveled a mile or ten, since nothing but your weary legs tells you otherwise.

Thankfully, the night passes uneventfully. The next morning, you're off again, covering the last few miles to the manor. It isn't long, perhaps a few hours after dawn, when you realize that you must have reached the outskirts of the estate. Trees, clearly growing younger as you move farther, block your view ahead, but their presence marks this area as once inhabited and cleared. You'll have to move closer if you want to get a good look, but it looks like you've found your destination.

All that remains is to discover if the Captain was correct.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    As always, feel free to continue your conversations. I like the characters, and how they're responding. I also don't want to completely halt the game waiting for them to finish though, so I will still put forward new posts. Doesn't mean you can't continue to talk.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Reaching what seems to be the outskirts of the manor grounds, Uriell holds up his hand for everyone to halt and drops to a knee.

Looking intently at the grounds ahead, he asks for everyone to stay quiet a moment.

As he finishes his head swing from left to right, he looks to Hu and says quietly, "You smell anything boy?"

Turning back to the rest of the group, and continuing to speak quietly he says, "This should be the start of the manor. From this point on, the trees will be of little use for concealment so we need to be ready and on guard." He also relays any oddities or points of interest that he can make out.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

(At the camp the night before, after others have spoken)
    Alexis, after hearing the descriptions of the others abilities, replies to the unspoken question:
    "I have spent many years acting as an... acquirer of wealth. I have learned to pick locks, disable traps, move quietly and unseen, how to get myself out of trouble, and a fair bit about magic. I do have a few tricks up my sleeve that I will use if necessary. I prefer to fight at a range with my bow. I will take the first watch tonight."
    (at the manor)
    After seeing Uriell's gesture, Alexis moves up quietly to get a better look at the manor.
    "I can scout out ahead in a few minutes, to see if there is anything nasty outside the manor. While the cover might not be the best, it is a lot better than nothing. Does anyone else see anything interesting from here, or do we need to take a closer look?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

(Before breaking camp)

Darius gives Tulkar a blank look. "That is not why I joined the army, and I believe I can say that is not why many joined the army." He shifted slightly, moving so as to be more comfortable sitting, "Tell me, if Arim had no soldiers then do you think we would know peace? Without soldiers, do you think Mizan would have been content taking only the same number of lives of villagers as they did soldiers before leaving us be?" Darius sighed quietly, his head hanging slightly.

How many times have I heard people describe soldiers as bloodthirsty warmongers? Too many...

"I respect the lives of every person I meet, there is never a single person who deserves to die simply because they draw breath. But there are many who do not see things as I do. I believe individuals should be treated as individuals, to stand or fall on their own virtues and flaws, instead many are raised on pedastels by right of birth whilst many many others are left behind. I joined the army, and became a Paladin, to protect those who cannot protect themselves. But enough of this, I'm sure I cannot change your mind on these matters in a single night. Perhaps we can discuss this at a later time?"

Considering the matter closed for the time being, Darius prepares himself for rest.

-------------------------------------------------------

(At the manor)

Darius' military training came back to him quickly as they came close to the manor, his time away from the fight barely dulling his trained reactions.

Keep Halberd at point, check shadows, listen for threats. He winced a little at the noise he was making moving through the undergrowth, Doesn't matter, advantage of armour outweighs loss of stealth

Show

8. - Top - End - #38

(In the woods)
    "Fine" Tulkar says, seeing as he probably won't be able to change the paladin's mind about anything. Damn soldiers Tulkar thought They're thugs like the rest of us. Only difference is that they get glory and righteousness as shield. A justified man has no limits; one who serves himself won't do anything without good reason.

(At camp)
    In his head, Tulkar tries his best to unravel the social equation of who gets what watch. "We should do a 12 hour rest with 3 four hour shifts, two people per shift." He trusts the rest of the group well enough. Alexis's 'acquiring of wealth' sounded a bit shaky, and he was wise enough not to put himself on the same shift as Anthony. Other than that, Darius and Uriell seemed like genuine characters. Neil seemed honest enough as well, although he hadn't told them much about himself yet. "I'll take the first watch as well," he said, finding an answer to his social equation. To be honest, he didn't distrust any pair of the four that were left.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As you move closer to the manor, you catch an occasional glimpse of the roof from in between the crowns of the trees. There's more underbrush around, flourishing without the towering trees of an old growth forest choking out the light.

You're nearly to the edge of the forest when Darius, Aleixis, and Tamni'el hear a rustling from behind them. The others, alert to danger, notice when they're companions stop, turning to the rear. There, emerging from the underbrush, the party sees several short reptilian creatures, carrying freshly killed rabbits and pheasants.

When the short creatures catch sight of the party, they stop suddenly, game falling from their hands, eyes wide in astonishment. For a bare second, they merely stare at the party. Then, moving almost as one, they shake of their surprise, readying their spears and calling out in strange, yipping voices. Movement from behind them tells of more creatures, reacting to the shouts of the others.

For those that speak Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's hard to make out exactly what they're saying, since many of them are talking at once, but it amounts to “Invaders,” “Kill the humans!” and various expletive expressions of surprise.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your generally alert attitude (and some surprisingly good rolls) leads to you guys not being surprised when they come up from behind. That doesn't stop them from trying to kill you, of course.

So, combat has begun! The Initiative order is:

Group 1: Alexis, Uriel, Tamni'el, Anthony
    Group 2: Kobolds
    Group 3: Darius, Tulkar

Remember, you can go in any order within your group.

For positioning, the kobolds are about 30 feet behind the party. As you guys go, feel free to note in what general position you are, relative tot he rest of the party, since you have no marching order yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

10. - Top - End - #40

GreenSorcererElf

After the group started towards the manor, Alexis headed to the left front of the group, relying on her skill at hiding to keep her safe from harm. However, before she had gone very far, Alexis heard rustling in the trees behind the group, so she freezes in place, and turns.
    What interesting creatures these are. Like lizardmen, but smaller. These would be kobolds then. Not as impressive as I imagined them. I wonder weather they are hostile.
    The kobolds begin calling out in draconic: "Invaders", and "Kill the humans!" they cry, readying their spears as they come.
    Well, I guess that answers that question. I think I will save my magic for now, however. If we can't take these without magic, we probably have no chance in the manor itself, which probably has more of these. I wonder if the others heard the noise.
    Alexis, upon realizing that the others may not have heard the rustling behind them, calls out a warning "Hostile kobolds coming up from behind."
    Alexis checks to ensure that there are no allies between her and the kobolds, and then she shoots at the closest one with her longbow.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-02 at 09:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Upon approaching the manor along with the rest of the group, a slight sound had caught his attention. Turning around, he spotted a small group of kobolds, not too far off; maybe about 30 feet away. Upon hearing the terms "Invaders" and "Kill the humans", he figured they were rather hostile. Once Alexis alerted the rest of the group, he pulled out his bow and an arrow. As he saw that Alexis fired an arrow at one of the kobolds, he decided to target the nearby one. As he placed the arrow in position and pulled back on the string, he felt his right arm getting a little unsteady. Hoping his arm would last long enough to fire off the arrow, he aimed a bit before firing at the kobold next to the one that Alexis struck, assuming there is no one in the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

12. - Top - End - #42

Anthony cannot but help laugh at the sight before him, really his first skirmish since the war are a couple of pip squeak lizards? His laughter is cut short as his battle hardened instincts flood through his consciousness. His vision narrows and his breathing slows, an eerie calm falls over the massive man. In the stillness of the moment a blood-curdling battle cry emerges from his lips "FOR PONY!!!" and in an instant the large man moves at an astonishing pace towards his nearest quarry. It is but a moment before he approaches the first victim, using his full weight he crashes mercilessly into the tiny critter, bending his legs and smashing his shoulder into the lizard.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Uriell attempts to approach the manor, Hu begins a low growl and looks backwards. Instinctively Uriell turns to see kobolds emerging from the underbrush carrying some fresh kill.

As Uriell gets ready to attack he sees his large companion Anthony barreling towards the kobolds. As he watches the man charge the kobold he sees an arrow fly by his field of view at another kobold.

With relative ease, Uriell grabs a bullet from his pouch and fires his sling at the kobold to the side of the one Anthony is attacking. As he fires, Uriell yells for Hu to attack, and the dog is on the kobold in a flash. As Uriell hopes his bullet finds its mark, he can already see Hu positioning himself to bring the kobold to the ground as he has done with so many other creatures of the forest.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the kobolds charged forward, they had doubtlessly expected the party to be as surprised as they were. Before they had gone a dozen steps in their charge, the were proved wrong.

Alexis' arrow flew past the one closest to her, leaving a bloody wound in it's shoulder. Though hit, it's still alive, but the fear in it's eyes has grown. Only it's instincts to kill keep it from fleeing in terror.

Tamni'el's shot proved the better, or perhaps luckier. Firing an arrow at the next one in line, it sinks home in the kobolds throat, toppling it to the ground. The kobold drops it spear as it thrashes around on the ground and clutches at the shaft, gurgling out it's shock in it's last few moments of life.

The kobold charging towards Uriell appears to be quicker than it's fellows. He ducks under the druids sling bullet, bringing his spear around to block Hu from ripping out his throat. Uninjured, he spins to confront the dog, not daring to leave it's back exposed to it's jaws.

The kobold Anthony chose for a target stops in surprise – and terror – as it see's the large man roaring out in a strange tongue as he charges right towards it. With a yip of pure terror, it tries to scramble out of the way, but is far too late. The armored warrior slams into it with full force, not even bothering to use his weapon. The kobold's broken corpse is flung backwards by the force of the charge, vanishing back into the underbrush.

The other kobolds hesitate, staring at the giant in their midst. It's clear they're on the verge of breaking, when from within the shadows issues forth a series of yips and barks. Even those that don't understand the language recognize them as commands. Inspired by the commands issuing from the the unseen leader, they resume their attack.

Of the six kobolds that charged from cover to attack with their spears, two are now dead. Now, at the commands of their leader, they change targets, screaming out their hate and fear as they charge forward.

Two kobolds, including the one wounded by Alexis, charge Anthony, seeking to flank him. The wounded one, casting glances over it's shoulder at the elf who wounded it, moves first, rushing forward with a wild stab at Anthony. Still straightening up from his half-crouch, Anthony takes it on the armor, earning nothing but a slight cut.

Any pleasure he feels at his success there is wiped away in a moment by the attack of the one behind. This one, more experienced the other, steps forward and drives his spear into the gap between armor, twisting the spear before pulling it out and readying for another strike.

The kobold cornered by Hu attempts to stab the hound, joined by another who charges forward to deliver a spear thrust. The hound easily dodges both attacks, snarling and snapping at the two foes in front of it.

It is then that another yip emerges from the underbrush, followed by a small flight of sling stones and a bolt. One bullet nicks Tamni'el, barely bruising him as he dodges aside. A second bounces off of Tulkar's armor, not even leaving a dent, while a third sails over Alexis' head, missing her completely. The crossbow bolt buries itself in Uriell's armor, barely penetrating it.

A third yip calls out, as the party prepares to respond to the attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kobold Orders: “Be strong! Protect the lair! Tikak, Akrin, the big one! Wacin, help Sulu! Slingers, load! Gyrax will reward us for their deaths!”

Second Yip: “Fire!”

Third Yip: “Reload!”

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Your turn: Jesu Christo Morbis, you pounded that kobold into meat paste. Arch, you wounded yours, Electro you killed your target, and Holice, you unfortunately missed, as did your dog.

They're turn: Morbis, you take 1 damage from the first kobold, and 6 from the second (critical hit). Electro, you take 1 damage from the stone that hit you, and Holice you take 1 from the bolt.

And it's now time for group 3.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

15. - Top - End - #45

Tulkar surveys the situation. He is near the main section of the group at the beginning of his turn. Well, he thinks The pervert may be annoying, but he sure can fight. As for the rest of them, he was not so impressed. He figures he is quite a bit tougher than them in combat, and that they probably would do best with benefit from Darius, Anthony, and himself taking the heat of melee for them.

Seeing one shout commands, he figures him to be a leader, therefor the best target. He is too far to attack him effectively, but he does wish him harm done with passion. As a free action, Tulkar casts a hexblade curse on the Kobold leader.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He must now make a will save DC 13, or take a -2 penalty on most things.

Next, Tulkar pulls out both of his weapons, and charges in to battle. Then, he releases a blow of his war axe onto the Kobold.
    Last edited by AvocadoAvenger; 2012-08-03 at 12:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The yipping of Kobolds, and subsequent battlecries, caught Darius' attention pretty quickly. Spinning around, he saw Anthony take a nasty jab from one of the diminutive lizards. Lowering his Halberd, he charged in silence. Battlecries had always seemed a waste of time to him. Using the tip of his weapon rather than the axe head, Darius thrust his weapon out to try and catch the Kobold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Darius is charging the same Kobold that dealt a critical hit to Anthony, as I said in the OoC thread I forgot to add the charge bonus to the attack roll, so the attack roll should be 16 rather than 14. I don't know if that'll make a difference or not

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seconds into the battle, Tulkar and Darius charge into the fray behind their faster comrades.

Tulkar glares at the newly revealed kobold leader, promising pain and death with his eyes. More then mere emotion seems to pass between them, and a cold feeling momentarily passes over the woods. The kobold shudders for a moment, staggering slightly. He looks up from his crossbow, eyes scanning the battle to try and find the cause of his unease.

Without even waiting to see if his curse would be effective, Tulkar charges across the battlefield. One of the kobolds fighting Hu manages to duck a savage blow from the half-orc's axe just in time.

Darius' charge to the aid of Anthony results in more success. Fixated on the massive, roaring warrior in front of him, the kobold never even see's Darius coming before the point of the paladin's halberd slices through his ribs and into his hearth, dropping him lifeless to the ground.

The kobolds start to show real signs of fear, but they continue to press the attack.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay then.

Darius, you hit and killed your target, the healthy kobold attacking Anthony.

Tulkar, unfortunately you missed, but the curse was effective.

That leaves 2 attacking Hu and the injured one in front of Anthony; and the ones in the bushes - you can all see 4 of them now, 3 with slings, 1 with a crossbow - since they attacked.

The ranged kobolds are about ~45 feet or so away from the ranged people, and the melee people (both sides) are about 30 feet away from the ranged party, 15 or so from the ranged kobolds. You cannot use Charge on them by the way, since underbrush counts as an obstruction, and they're hiding in it.

An on that note, it's now Group 1's turn again. Let's see if there's any kobolds left over to take their turn!

Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

18. - Top - End - #48

GreenSorcererElf

Looking at the fight, Alexis sees that Anthony is in trouble, but there is not alot that she can do about it. The most that she can do is attack the other kobolds, so she shoots at the kobold with the crossbow, figuring that he was the most dangerous combatant left. She then drops prone, as the kobolds are shooting back.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-03 at 08:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Anthony doesn't even feel the pain, he is in his element and his battle fury has been engaged! He doesn't skip a beat as one of the little lizard falls from an allied attack, using the momentum from his charge he swings his axe at the head of the scared creature. If one to were to look in his eyes they would see pure unaldultered joy.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Anthony kills this little guy hey use his move action to get closer to one of the singers
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-03 at 08:33 AM.
    Blarg...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Cursing quietly to himself, Uriell is not happy with his last shot.

I really need to practice some more with this, but for the time being I just need to focus.

Bringing his sling up again, he aims at one of the kobolds attacking Hu. Whirling the sling overhead, Uriell takes a deep breath and snaps his wrist and watches as the sling flies directly at its mark. There we go!, he thinks positively.

But seeing now that the kobolds are trying to flank Hu, Uriell begins to move in with spear in hand.

Hu seems to be having a rough time with these kobolds. Use to defending against larger creatures where his speed and agility count more, these kobolds are proving to be quite the handful. Snapping again at the one, he tries viciously to land a bite on any part of the kobold he can sink his teeth into.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Tamni'el saw that a number of the kobolds were falling, and earlier he recalled hearing one of the kobolds exclaiming something about Gyrax rewarding them for their deaths, or something like that. Anyways, as he looked at the field, he felt he couldn't get a clear shot off from his current position, so he moved at least 10 feet to find a clear shot at one of the kobolds that still lived. Pulling out another arrow and setting it up in the bow, he pulled back on the string. *Don't waver on me now, arm...* he thought, feeling his right arm beginning to feel weak. Hoping he aimed good and quick enough, he let the arrow fly at one of the live kobolds, preferably a sling-shooter if any still lived.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, since Tamni'el moved at least 10 feet, as a scout his Skirmish ability kicks in, giving him an additional 1d6 damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexis' arrow flies true, striking the kobold leader. He lets out a yip of pain as it hits, but doesn't fall, instead turning to find the source of his pain. He turns just in time to see Alexis drop prone into the grass, preventing an easy shot.

Meanwhile, the kobold in front of Anthony manages to scramble aside from his furious swing. Rushing back in, he thrusts at Anthony, but the plow is parried, with Anthony's great axe easily holding the small creature at bay.

Uriell's blow against the kobold on his dog's left succeeds, with the heavy bullet badly bruising the kobold. Hu's attack is less successful, the target managing to block his snapping jaws with his spear.

The kobold Uriell just injured glances at him, clearly worried by his attack, but they continue to attack Hu, clearly more afraid of the snapping, snarling canine then they are of the druid. Hu continues to avoid each of their attacks, leaving the fight there locked in stalemate.

The kobold with the crossbow, clearly realizing the battle will depend on the slingers, once again yips out another command; “Ixen!” In response, the slingers once again launch a small volley. As they fire, Tamni'el's arrow, intended for one of the slingers, misses, hissing through the leaves past their heads.

One of the slingers targets Tulkar, the second, Anthony, and the third, Darius. Once again the armor of the warriors proves greater than the slings can penetrate, with the ones meant for Tulkar and Anthony merely bouncing off. Only the one aimed at Darius does any damage, slightly bruising him where it struck his arm.

The kobold leader, crossbow raised, is clearly frustrated. He still doesn't know who's the source of the cold, uneasy feeling that fills him. Now, the archer who shot him has dropped prone, depriving him of a target. Snarling in frustration, he hesitates before swinging the crossbow around to aim at Darius, letting fly a bolt.

The bolt misses, flying past Darius' nose. The kobold, even more frustrated with whatever dark magic is causing his hands to shake, snarls out “Svent, svent astahi!” while reloading his crossbow, clearly goading his followers to greater heights.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ixen means “Fire” (someone provided me with a translator, trying it out)
    “Svent, Svent astahi” means “Kill, Kill Them!”

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch, the Force was not with you guys OR the kobolds this round. I don't really expect them to get another chance to fix things though.

Alexis hits the leader for 4 damage, then drops prone.

Anthony misses the wounded kobold.

Uriell hits one of the kobolds attacking Hu for 2 damage, Hu misses.

Tamni'el misses a sling-using kobold.

Wounded Kobold attacking Anthony misses.

Kobolds attacking Hu (Injured and Healthy) both miss Hu.

Kobolds attacking Tulkar and Anthony miss, one attacking Darius hits.

Darius takes 1 damage.

And the kobold leader misses Darius by one, thanks to Tulkar's handy curse.

Group 3, you're up!

Group 3: Darius, Tulkar
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius winced a little as the sling bullet bounced off his armour. That's gonna be a nasty bruise.

Seconds later, a crossbow bolt shot straight past his face, startled, he looked quickly to where it landed, before snapping his head back round and searching for the firer. A particularly noisey Kobold, presumably the leader, proved to be the culprit. Not wishing to take any chances, he left Anthony to handle his already injured opponent on his own and pressed through the undergrowth. As soon as he was close enough, he lashed out with his Halberd, the axe head whistling through the air as it swung closer to the target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Darius will move to engage the Leader (I'm assuming I can reach him, you said the ranged Kobolds were 15 ft. from us) and then attack him with his Halberd. Darius has 12 hp remaining following that sling attack

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Tulkar makes a full attack on the Kobolds assaulting him using his war axe, and throwing axe. In the heat of battle, he has complete focus; thinking about little but taking down his foes.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Though Darius rushes forward to attack the Kobold leader with great vigor, the kobold proves to be the quicker, nimbly dodging the blows directed at him, snarling at the human who tried to kill him. The kobolds to either side, ignored by Darius in his rush, edge away from the paladin as they reload their slings, clearly afraid.

Tulkar, focusing on attempting to smash his opponent, also meets with no great success. His rapid blows force the kobold to parry and dodge quickly, but aren't well aimed enough to connect. The kobold, worried over what will happen when the angry half-orc in front of it gets lucky, keeps glancing at the slingers, wishing they would kill either the half-orc or the vicious dog.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    And both you guys missed. No additional glory for you!

Group 1, you're up.

Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

26. - Top - End - #56

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing Darius rush at the kobold leader, Alexis decides to try to bring down the leader, so that Darius can quickly finish off the slingers. She stands up, and quickly moves to the left(5 foot step) to ensure Darius is not in the line of fire. Once she has a clear shot, she takes aim, and fires at the leader again.
    Hopefully those slingers will be too focused on the melee portion to go for me again. I don't really enjoy being shot
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

As he pulls another arrow out, Tamni'el watched as Darius was rushing the leader of the kobolds. Returning his focus, he loaded the arrow into his bow and aimed at one of the kobold slingers. Aiming as steadily as his arm would possibly allow, he then let the arrow soar at any of the slingers in his clear line of sight. Regardless if his arrow hit the target or not, he dropped his bow to the side as he then drew out his scimitar, ready to go on the offensive in melee, and hoping he would have better luck landing his hits.
    Last edited by Electrobolt; 2012-08-04 at 05:28 PM. Reason: It was submitted before I was ready somehow... o.o
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

After seeing the bullet hit the kobold, he was hoping to draw its attention, but apparently it was more afraid of Hu than him.

Moving in on the kobold who he just hit with a bullet, Uriell grips the shaft of his spear tightly and drives it right at the kobold, hoping to catch it off guard while its focused on Hu.

Not knowing how much longer Hu can avoid these kobold attacks, Uriell fights with a sense of urgency. Hang in there Hu, I'll get these little buggers off of you.

Hu growls viciously at the kobolds as the try to hit him, but again he proves too graceful for them. Hoping to seize the moment and counter them, he again lunges at kobold, baring his teeth and looking for blood.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

29. - Top - End - #59

As Anthony parries the feeble attack he counters with a side swipe along the beast's chest hoping to drop it without overdoing it. The others didn't seem to be fairing too well and he didn't want to leave them in such vulnerable situations.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it is dead he will move to the next closest, flanking if possible
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The outcome of the small battle had seemed inconclusive; the kobolds had lost a few of their numbers, but still nearly outnumbered the party, who were being slowly worn down. All at once, the odds swung to the parties favor.

Tamni'el's shot missed, but his target hardly noticed, distracted as he was by the paladin in among the slingers.

Uriell had just speared another kobold, the one he had wounded earlier, leaving only one kobold to face himself, Tulkar, and Hu. The kobolds lack of success against Hu alone hardly filled it with great confidence at the thought of fighting all of them alone.

Anthony, possibly irritated at the delay in finishing off his wounded adversary, attacks again. This time he meets with more success, with a solid hit that drops his opponent lifeless to the ground without wasting a single bit of effort.

The battle had just swung decisively to the parties side, when one last shot ended it.

A near perfect shot from Alexis, the arrow seeming to leap from the bow, slammed into the kobold leader in front of Darius, nailing the unfortunate kobold to the tree behind it. It was dead before it knew it, expression still locked in the snarl it had showed to the paladin that had thought to kill it.

The surviving kobolds seem to freeze, all fight gone with the direction of their leader. They hesitate for the barest of moments, then fling their weapons aside and flee, running straight through the party in an effort to pass through to the other side of the woods and the manor beyond.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Alexis kills the Kobold Leader with an excellent critical hit.

Tamni'el, apparently your arm is killing you, you missed again.

Uriell, you hit and kill your target, Hu misses though.

Anthony finishes off the wounded kobold

Okay, so this is a win for the good guys. Let's see if you can finish off the survivors. Everyone just roll a hit, you don't need to pick a kobold. If you get more then one AoO, go ahead and roll all of them, even if you're using a ranged weapon. If enough of you hit, none get away. If too many hit, then you'll dismember kobolds in unison.

Oh and make sure to check the announcements.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"